Sad Smiles Chapter 23

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 23

My parents only know one way to have dinner which was significantly more formal than I usually liked. When I was younger I frequently ate with the servants in the kitchen, but tonight deserved a little pizazz. This meant we were all circulating for a meet and greet while the aperitifs and some hors d'oeuvres were served.

This gave me the opportunity to introduce Gabi to my parents and my grandfather. My parents smiled and told us they were delighted, but the smile never reached their eyes. My grandfather, or Pops as he liked to be known, bluntly asked why he was invited. I told him I had an announcement, but he would have to wait like everyone else. According to the dining etiquette rules that my family followed, my parents would make a toast at the beginning of the meal, but we would have to wait until the dessert course before we could speak.

We also had to introduce our invited guests to my family which included both Sarah's and Ellie's parents as well as Lisa with Mia, Chloe, Bonny and Aaron's parents, Derek and Susan. It had been short notice and I had to hint that we would be making a special announcement to encourage everyone to attend. To be honest, I expected some of them to tell me they couldn't make it, but I think Gabi has made a big impression on all of them. My house has more bedrooms than sense, so they were all invited to stay. I had needed to ask my parents before offering the dinner and bedrooms, but they accepted that I would make an announcement worthy of it. Besides, they loved throwing these types of parties, showing others how much they were worth and their superior class.

I was pretty sure that everyone was expecting some kind of engagement proposal. That was still going to happen, but the pregnancy was going to be a shock to most of them. I had no doubts that grandfather was going to be thrilled. His condition wouldn't actually be met until a child was born, but just the possibility would excite him. Despite his grumpy demeanour he loved kids and spoilt them when he could. I would just have to make sure he spread his affection to all of our kids.

The dinner I am sure was delicious, but I hardly tasted it I was so nervous. I saw a similar nervousness in both Sarah and Ellie, although Ellie hid it best. I was excited, but scared and couldn't stop staring at Gabi who was beaming at anyone and everyone, but I guess her dreams had just come true in triplicate. It was unfortunate that she was unable to speak and express her happiness verbally. I had no doubts that she would show us in different ways how happy she was.

I was caught slightly by surprise when Sarah started tapping her glass to politely request quiet. As planned we all three stood up. Gabi went to stand up and we urged her to do so but stay about a step away.

“First of all, thank you so much for coming,” I started. “Some of you have dropped everything and flown in at very short notice,” I said looking at the girls and Aaron's parents, “We all really appreciate it. We have some joyous news and we wanted to share it with our friends and family. Now remember Gabi has had some throat surgery recently, so, as much as she may want to, she needs to contain her joy, but I think you can all agree that we will understand her meaning from her expressions.”

“The relationship we are in is not a traditional one,” Sarah continued. “However, all I think parents want for their children is for them to be happy and we are. Our first announcement is one that has made us even happier. Right girls, ready?” she asked, looking at me and Ellie.

We both nodded our heads.

“Raise your hand if you are pregnant,” Sarah said and then all three of us tried to coordinate raising our hands at the same time.

“Bravo!” Pops shouted.

I smiled at him happily.

There were cheers and congratulations, but we weren't finished, so after giving it a few minutes, Sarah started tapping her glass again.

“Ready girls?” I asked.

The three of us moved so that we all faced Gabi from a small step distance, looked at each other nervously and then settled onto one knee, pulling out a small jewellery case each.

“One, two, three,” Sarah whispered.

“Will you marry me?” All three of us asked at the same time.

Gabi opened her mouth.

“Don't speak,” I said quickly before she did any damage.

She put her hand over her mouth, tears running down her face as she nodded her head exaggeratedly and then rushed towards us.

I looked around my heart so full of joy, catching the girls with tears in their eyes. I think this was the happiest moment in my life and to think it all started because I couldn't resist Gabi's sad smile.

The End.

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good stories.

WillowD's picture

Savannah Maun, you do write a lot of good stories. Thank you.

Very enjoyable

Savannah thank you for continuing this story. It is very enjoyable even though it does bring rears to ones eyes. Great story and thank you for sharing it with us.

Bravo!

Somehow I managed to miss this series until this last chapter was posted. I read it all at one sitting and loved it. A very different approach and wonderful to see a multiple marriage that will work.

A shame that real life seldom works that way.

Yet again, a ...

Mantori's picture

... a fabulous story finished in a perfect way.

THANK YOU!!!
As always.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

I don't know how

I missed this, although it was just finishing when I had just joined a month or two before. Very glad I found it, a wonderfully sweet story.

So in this story

We saw drew's worst time in his life, to the best of times in her life.