Castle The Series - 0100 Bekka, Turner, Ruby, Lilly

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically. There is now an appendix of Folk words and language and one of places, food, animals, plants and minerals too. Both follow the story chapters.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106050

IT WAS ONLY JEALOUSY

BEKKA (16) AND BURDOCK (28) AND A SMART PHONE

15th of Stert Day 106

The man walking to the front of the platform was a small, compact man with short, pale red hair and pale violet eyes. “I am Burdock, and I am starting a mixt holding we have yclept Pike Mere with six other folk, Dulse who is marryt to Coot, Eyebright who is marryt to Faarl, and Goldcrest who is marryt to Hornet. Mongst them, they have nine children from newbirtht to nineteen, all of who are living or crafting at the holding. In reasonable weather the whilth to the holding is five or six days by waggon, a day’s whilth beyond Galena mine, but with a favourable wind it is accessible by ship within a day and only an hour by waggon from the river jetty. The holding is south and then west from the Keep and is sheltert and fertile. We plantet wine fruit vines and soft fruit last year which are now establisht. We are going to plant fruit trees at the end of this season. There is good hunting and fishing and a reasonable variety of edible wild plants are available, though we are also currently creating a vegetable plot. Dulse keeps bees and Eyebright breeds coneys, and we have a large natural water to which we have introducet carp.

“At the moment we have a large, two storey dwelling house we built two seasons over. It has four large bedchambers, and dorter bedchambers for the children, who are growing up as syskonen.(1) The rest is communal eating, living and working space. We shall build more individual accommodation as and when we consider it desirable, probably as extensions to the house. The priorities at the moment are stabling and animal accommodation ready for the calt(2) season and fencing some more paddocks ready for next year. All of which will be finisht betimes. It is our intention eventually not to return to the Keep in the calt season, possibly this year, but more probably next year, for the first time. I have been marryt before, but we agreen to separate, and I have no children. I wish a wife, preferably one with children, or at least a wife prepaert to adopt children as and when it becomes possible, and also prepaert to have children herself, I know no children are in need of a home at this time because I have been to see if I could adopt any myself.”

Bram of the Master at arms staff realising Burdock had finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of Master holder Burdock. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

Bekka had been going to make an appearance, but on hearing Burdock she decided she would like to respond to his appearance. She thought he was attractive and she did fancy him. Like Vikki and Carley she had absorbed enough of the Way to survive in Folk society. Though the solitude of Zoë’s chosen life style with Torrent and his waggon did not appeal to her she wasn’t entirely comfortable back at the Keep, and the idea of continuing to live the way she had been doing had a great deal to recommend itself to her. Despite her initial difficulties, she had enjoyed the three lunes she had spent with Aaron’s family at their holding. Like Vikki, the men she had met who had travelled to Stonechat and Anvil’s holding had been of no interest to her, mainly because none of them offered a sufficient level of security. The knowledge she could return to Stonechat enabled her to travel to the Keep in order to make an appearance. Knowing if it didn’t work she had somewhere welcoming to go was reassuring.

Bekka was a pretty, young woman of sixteen. She was of average highth with medium longth fair blonde hair and dark brown eyes. She was of a chubby build which was mostly obscured by her pregnancy. She thought back over the advice Wheatear the waggoner had given them regarding their appearances, but he had offered none as to how to respond to an appearance. When he had jokingly said, “If I weren’t a happily marryt man of fourty-four I’d be quite happy to run off with and marry all three of you,” Bekka, who wasn’t particularly romantic, had realised though he was a waggoner she would willingly have married him because he was a man who represented so much security, his age was as irrelevant to her as the solitude of his lifestyle. She had really started to consider what mattered to her and what didn’t. She had finally begun to think the way the Folk did. Her mind decided she went to the platform stairs, and there were three other women there all older than she, which maekt her feel a little resentful. The Master at arms staff quickly questioned them each in turn as to their current situation, their desires for the future and their views on living so far away from the Keep. She was placed second to respond, and was surprised she wasn’t happy at the idea that she may lose Burdock.

The woman who had been chosen to respond first to Burdock, a tall medium-brunette of attractive looks, went on to the platform. “I am Cranberry. I am thirty-three and I have two children of five and seven. I loes my man, Moraine, to the fevers last year and I wish a husband. I am an experiencet grower of vegetables. I am not terribly happy with the idea of being so far from the Keep but am willing to try it.”

Burdock responded by saying, “Gratitude for your interest, Cranberry, I shall bear you in mind but I should like to hear other responses as I bethink me you could come to regret being so far from the Keep.”

Cranberry smiled in acknowledgement, and though she left the platform she remained nearby.

Bekka was helped up the stairs by Master at arms staff and going to the front of the platform spake to Burdock and the crowd. “I am Bekka. I am newfolk. I am sixteen and as you can see seven possibly eight lunes pregnant, I have no other children. I have been learning the grower craft with Anvil and Stonechat, which I enjoy, and I prefer to live at some whilth from the Keep. I am still not comfortable with large numbers of Folk given my level of understanding of the Way, though I know it will get better with time. My only concern is my babe is due soon, and I want to be near the midwives till my babe is born. I want more children and should be willing to adopt any in need of a mum when ever possible. I am a novice at growing and probably everything else too, but I am willing to learn, though I shall need help. What I see of you, Burdock I like and I should like to marry you. How old are you, Burdock?”

Bram looked at Burdock who responded with, “Gratitude, Cranberry, and the others who were going to express interest in me. Bekka, I am twenty-eight, and if you would take me to man we’ve agreement. If you would like to stay at the Keep till your babe is birtht we could live in chambers here till then. I shall have to go to the holding several times before then, but we can arrange it so I am away as little as possible till we as a family go to the holding. Is this acceptable to you?”

He walked across the platform to Bekka who nodded and said, “Yes, that takes care of my concerns.” Burdock put his arm berount her and kissed her cheek. He turned to the crowd and said, “We offer gratitude to the Folk for listening.”

They left the platform, and at the bottom of the stairs Cranberry came to Bekka and said, “I am happy for you both. I bethink me you were probably right, Burdock, and I do confess to a sense of relief.”

Bekka reached out to take Cranberry’s hand and admitted, “I didn’t like you much when I thought you were going to take the man I wanted, sorrow willen I mean, but it was only jealousy. I hope you find what you want and wish you joy and luck.” The women embraced and kissed each other’s cheeks, and Cranberry went back to listen to the appearances.

Burdock had been astonished by what Bekka had telt Cranberry, and said, “Was that true, Bekka, you wisht me badly enough to be jealous‽”

“Yes.”

“I’ll have to take a great deal of care of you won’t I?”

“I do hope so, Burdock, because I intend to take a great deal of care of you.” The last Bekka said with a decidedly suggestive expression in her voice.

Burdock laught and said, “I look forward to it. Now let’s go and organise some chambers, and we can both move in and do some looking after.” They both laught at that and Burdock asked her, “Would you like to go to the White Swan thiseve to celebrate. We could eat there and have a drink or two listening to the music. You may even fancy trying one or two of the slow dances?”

Bekka, who wasn’t romantic and had been ready to contract a working marriage, was beginning, much to her surprise, to love her husband already, and Burdock’s suggestion moved her to tears. “I should like that.” She hesitated a second or two and then added, “I am beginning to love you, you know.”

Burdock gently turned her berount to face him, kissed her tenderly, and said, “Yes. I can see you are, and it is something I hadn’t even considert to be a possibility, and I am beginning to love you too which makes me realise just how lucky I have been. Let’s organise the chambers and furniture and we’ll need to see if we can find a crib for our babe.” He kissed her again, and was kissed in turn, gentle kisses that contained no passion but held the promise of a great deal of passion to come.

The following afternoon Burdock was helping Bekka go through her clothing in order to decide what she needed to have in the way of clothing and personal items that they would have to acquire at the Keep before going to Pike Mere. He asked, “What is that, Bekka?”

“That’s my mobile phone. You can talk to people who are a long way away from you using it and text them too, that’s send written messages, if they have one too. On Earth you could link into a huge information and entertainment base with it, but the battery, the thing that makes it work, has gone flat. There’s no power left in it. I was wondering what to do with it because even if other newfolk have one it’s no use here on Castle. It seems a shame to just throw it away, but there’s no way to charge it up here. Have you any ideas, Burdock? Because it was very expensive and I’d only had it two days when I came to Castle.”

“The best thing to do is to ask at the Master at arms office. I suppose if there is no other use for it they could put it in the Hall of Artefacts which is where they keep all the things of interest for the Folk to look at if they wish.”

“Like a museum?”

“I don’t know that word, but you could either loan or give it to them. It’s your property to do as you will with.”

“Ok. Let’s do that. Then I don’t have to carry it with me and take care of it.”

They were met by Edrian, a young looking junior at the Master at arms office who sent for Gareth to deal with the matter. Bekka explained about her mobile and Gareth said, “The best thing to do with it is to give it to George. He like you is newfolk, but an intelligent and knowledgeable man concerning the science and machines of Earth. If any can make use of it on behalf of the Folk it will be he. Shall I ask that he spares us a few minutes?”

George was sent for and arrived before the three of them had finished their leaf. Bekka explained again, but much more briefly this time. George telt her, “I can charge it without too much effort. Some of our crafters are making batteries and variable voltage supplies. We already have reasonably accurate voltmeters. There is of course no internet here, nor any means of relaying signals. However, Axel with some of the apprentices helping him has started producing tables of mathematical functions from equations that generate them, but this would be an enormous help to him. It would enable us to design equipment to enhance the lives of the entire Folk much faster, Bekka, if we could borrow it for an extended period of time.”

Bekka smiled and said, “Here, have it with my goodwill. I have no use for it, George, and if you can use it to help the Folk, do so. One way and other the Folk have done a lot for me. It’s a fair exchange.”

Gareth said, “But you have little, Bekka. George, what is the value of the device in terms of the time it would take to earn enough to purchase it on Earth?”

George thought a little and replied, “This is an expensive device. Between three and four tenners for most. It’s worth considerably more than that to us, but that is what it cost.”

“Bekka, I can credit the tokens to a new account in your name, or add your name and the tokens to the account of your man Burdock, which is the norm for us in the case of agreäns. Which would you prefer?”

“The joint account please. Burdock, can we buy something for the holding with the tokens?”

“Certainly. We’ll have spaech concerning what you would like to buy later, but if you like for a little more we could buy two dairy cows in calf.”

“I like. Two pregnant cows for a pregnant holder, or is that a pregnant holderess in Folk?”

Gareth laughed and said, “I suppose strictly it should be though I’ve never hearet any use the word, but I bethink me I shall in future, for if one accepts that a holder is male the term pregnant holder is more than a little bizarre. You choose your cows, Bekka, and tell the vendor to present his note to the Master at arms office for payment.”

George thanked Bekka for what was a treasure beyond price to him and Bekka thanked Gareth for enabling her to contribute to her new family’s holding.

“You happy regards that, Bekka Love?” Burdock asked as they left.

“Yes. Because now I don’t feel like I’ve been rescued from poverty by you. I feel that I have paid my way and deserve my good fortune.”

Burdock stopped her and placing his hand on her visibly moving pregnancy said, “That was not so even without your device. You are bringing us yourself and our daughter. You were never in poverty, but as the owner of two milch cows in calf you will become so wealthy that I shall be in danger of being considert to be a leech.”(3)

The pair were laughing as they went on their way.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106060

THE MARITAL BED

GEORGINA, QUAIL, BIRCHBARK AND HEMLOCK

15th of Stert Day 106

Georgina, Quail, Birchbark and Hemlock had had a working marriage since just after last Quarterday, but as they had previously agreed, maekt an appearance to put the terms of their marriage to the Folk for the attesting of its terms. They maekt their way onto the platform and Hemlock spake for them. The only unusual conditions were the one that they had copied from the coppicers’ quartet, the children were children of the marriage and also their huge bed, that had been maekt by Birchbark and polished by Georgina also belonged to the marriage. Assisted by Birchbark, they had each carved a bedpost head so as to make it truly their marital bed. The other three in turn agreed with Hemlock’s words.

Bram of the Master at arms staff realising the foursome was finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of agreäns Georgina, Quail, Birchbark and Hemlock. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

The crowd shouted, “Agreen and approven.”

The foursome each in turn expressed gratitude to the Folk for listening. As they had expected there were no problems other than helping Georgina on and off the platform. She was seven lunes pregnant and was so large now she had trouble walking far, unassisted she couldn’t manage stairs at all.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00106070

NONE ANY THE WISER

BRAMLING, TENCH AND KNAWEL

15th of Stert Day

Bramling, her brother Tench and his husband Knawel went to the front of the platform accompanied by their five children. Bramling was carrying her youngest, but the others held hands with the two men. Bramling announced, “I am Bramling, I have three children and no man. My brother Tench and his husband Knawel have two children. We all live together and the children are growing up as syskonen. We have decidet it is in all our children’s interests we all declare obligations to the five of them and to any subsequent children any of us may have.”

Tench spake saying, “My sister spaeks for all of us.”

Knawel said, “I agree with the words of my husband and my sister.”

Bram of the Master at arms staff realising the three of them had finished spaeking said to the crowd, “You have hearet the words of Bramling, Tench and Knawel. If any wish to respond let them come and be hearet.”

Though some of the crowd were disappointed at not becoming any the wiser concerning the relationships involved mongst the three the crowd responded with the traditional, “Agreen and approven.”

The three each in turn expressed gratitude to the Folk for listening and left the platform with their children.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00107010

MISST LUNETIMES

TURNER AND OTDAY

16th of Stert Day 107

It was a calt, dry, windy and dusty noon when Turner pulled the team to a halt at a site with a large tree stump of several years since felling, the usual fire blackened ring of stones that gave away it was a waggoner halt and little else. “Unharness the team, Otday, please. Put a double feed of oats in their nosebags and let them loose. There are neither grazing nor water here so they’ll wait patiently till we water them.” Otday did as requested, requested he noted, how things had changed, whilst Turner ratched(4) in the waggon for some thing.

His tasks completed, Otday turned to see Turner with the ten foot tree she had watered so assiduously for so long. It had an nine span diameter rootball that was wrapped in sacking. She was weeping silently with copious tears running off her cheeks. “This is the place, Otday. The place where he dien: Havern’s Ironwood. After the tree was lightening blastet, I promisst him and myself I would replant it, but viable ironwood saplings are hard to find, for they usually die if you attempt to transplant them. I had this one grown in a pot from a nut for me by Grike of the foragers who also raises fruit and nut trees at Outgangside. This is Havern’s tree, his new younger tree as you are his new younger self. He was to many a difficult man, but never to me. I knoewn little of his difficulties when younger, for he spake little of his past, but I do know they must have been many, so it is entirely appropriate that you are his new younger self. I know he would have understandt and liekt you, and he would be happy to know I have findt you. Were I only to be allowt one word to describe him it would have to be generous. He was a generous man. In the load there are bags of soil and other things too that Grike insistet must be tightly uest to ensure the tree grows. It will take several hours. You do not have to give me aid, but I have to do this. It is a matter of my honour.”

“All that concerns you concerns me, Mistress waggoner Turner. From what you have telt me he was a Master of Master waggoners. It is to my honour as an apprentice waggoner to assist you. Too, he caert to you as do I, so I have to aid you, or my honour is diminisht.” They planted the tree in a five foot diameter, three foot deep hole loosening the bottom foot and mixing some of the soil from the hole with some of the contents of the numbered bags. They followed carefully the written instructions given by Grike concerning the contents of the numbered bags and watered the tree from the barrels as per his instructions too. The entire task had taken nearly six hours, and they had watered the horses, taken leaf but no food whilst they worked. When the young ironwood tree was planted and finally firmed and watered in Turner braekt down and wept, inconsolable for hours. Otday left her alone with the tree and several hours later she came to bed. He held her tight to his chest as she cried herself to sleep.

Otday was surprised Turner did not look back as they left the site. It was four days before Turner became herself again and she braekt her silence by announcing “Otday, I must be a few days late for my lunetime now. I haven’t had more than thirty-two days between lunetimes since I was fourteen and thisday is day thirty-three. I’m certain I’m pregnant, my breasts are a little tender and I was sick again, so I’m sure it’s forsickth.”(5) Turner had been sick in the forenoon thrice now sincely(6) and they had speculated that she may have been pregnant since her first dive for the side of the waggon five days ago. They were happy regards it and had been hoping their suspicions were true.

“As I telt you, I know naught regards pregnancy or babes, but I need to don’t I? You’ll have to start teaching me regards that too, Turner.”

“But I know no more than you, so we’ll have to learn together as soon as it becomes possible. I’ve always notet my lunetimes in the log, and I’ve notet my misst lunetime too, so the midwifes can calculate when I’m due to birth. We’ll have time over the winter to plan and acquire babe clothes and things, and I’ll need some bigger clothes some time. I’m smaller bosomt than all the women in my family that I was aware of, but if my breasts get as big as some women’s I’ll have to at least wear apron bibs for the support. A jolting and rattling waggon is the last place to have unsupportet milk heavy breasts, for the bouncing would be paining. I’d considert it would be too calt betimes for the skirts of a full apron, yet it occurt to me that I could wear a full apron over fur trousers like Bernice. She always looks nice too.”

“I bethinkt me you had no family, Turner.”

“I don’t any more. Most dien years over. May hap they weren’t as big breastet as I recall, for all is larger in a child’s memory, however the few distant kin I have are all big breastet. But of more import, we need to decide the really important things.”

“Like what?”

“Do we keep waggoning with a babe. Do we become family waggoners. Some do, but some don’t. What bethink you? It’s harder rearing a family on a waggon than being fixt in one place, but it’s not impossible. Consider the families we’ve shaert camp with in just three and a half lunes. Bernice and Ambar craft with six children on their waggon, and though they have the awnings at the waggon sides and rear for inclement weather their waggon is a standard, long, wide bodyt one, not a bespoke one. The question is harder for you because it will not be easy going back to the Keep. I truly believe it will be fine after a few days, but initially it will require courage. What do you really wish to do?”

“If it were purely my decision I’d stay on the waggon and become family waggoners. I say that not because I don’t wish to go back to the Keep, but because this is my craft. I could say it’s all I know, but that’s a riandet,(7) what matters is I like it. If you decide you wish to rear a family in a fixt place I shan’t carry on waggoning because, though I enjoy it, the major part of my enjoyment is because it’s where you are. I’d rather be where you are. If that means I have to find another craft so be it. We don’t have to decide betimes, but you are the one who is pregnant and will nurse the babe. I’ll do what ever I can to help, but it is in the nature of things that the larger portion of caring to babes falls to the mother, yet what ever you decide I shall be with you.”

“I wish I had some family, especially women who have reart children to have spaech with, but the few distant kin I have will not to have any dealings with me, and I’d prefer it to remain that way.”

“There’s Mum and Auntie Camilla and any number of women in the sheepherder part of the clan. I don’t know if Auntie Ella and Auntie Cynthia who are both newfolk have had babes, but may hap they have. All we have to do is ask.”

Turner passed him the reins and kissed him. “We are waggoners, and like you I wish to remain so. I’m so uest to having none that I’d forgett your relatives, so yes we’ll ask. It’s exciting isn’t it? I wonder when I’ll feel the babe move. Come on, move them on, for we’ve places to go and things to buy, Husband Otday, and thisnight I would appreciate greatly to have my softth kissed into submission for she is troubling me with her desires.”

“I know, for she is making her needs known to my senses as I’m sure you can see.”

“I’m sure she can take care of your problem, but it may take a while.” The couple laught, both looking forward to satisfying each other’s desires.

They set up camp early, maekt love till over midnight and arose at six to eat a substantial braekfast before braeking camp. Turner was driving on a narrow trail obviously used by game that entered a small ravine cut down through the chalky limestone escarpment by waggoners lifetimes over to save the three days which going berount the scarp entailed. The cut cranked to the right halfway down, to avoid a massive igneous inclusion in the softer chalk, and emerged onto a river floodplain some twenty strides lower in elevation than the top of the scarp. Otday raised his left hand and said, “Pull the team up, Love. Can’t you smell it? Bear, I’m sure. May hap berount the bend. Let us be careful and investigate before risking the team.”

“I smell it now, Otday. It’s a black shaggy,(8) a male by the smell of it. They can be anything up to sixteen hundred weights and are intelligent. They mostly eat meat, but are known to eat fish, nuts, berries and roots too. They are well known for ambushing prey.” The couple left the horses, but locked the waggon wheel brakes to prevent the team bolting if they panicked on scenting the bear, which they obviously had not yet done. Turner walked silently to the bend looked berount and returned. She smiled and said, “It’s a large older male waiting at the exit of the cut. It’s not possible to surprise him because he knows we are here. There’s not enough space for me to attack him safely. He’s chosen his ambush site well.”

“Why don’t we back the horses out of the cut, drive may hap five hundred strides away from the entrance out of his line of sight just in the event of him coming up the cut, unhitch them to graze and flight from the top of the scarp?”

“It’s all we can do, but I doubt he’ll come up the cut, for he has all the advantage staying where he is.”

“What do I aim for, Turner?”

“Use wide arrowheads to make him bleed and aim for the neck. Arrows would bounce off his skull, the eyes are too small and difficult a target and it’s unlikely you would achieve enough penetration in a body shot to do any serious damage. If we flight from both sides of the cut one of us should manage a killing arrow in our first three.” Otday nodded and after leaving the horses they walked back, Turner on the left and Otday on the right of the cut. When they reached the scarp edge, Turner looked at Otday and said, “This one has had dealings with Folk before. Look. He knows we’re here and there are two of us. He’s leaving. One of us should watch where he goes and the other bring the team, but I suggest we both watch for the while. We’ll need to leave a warning at the entrance and tell the other waggoners of him, for I suspect having found this site he’ll use it regularly. You were aware of him before I was, Otday.”

“Yes, but you knew what he was from the scent.”

“I know, but your sense was more acute than mine, my knowledge was due to experience and you’ll recognise the smell next time. Without doubt you are becoming changt, Otday. We have to have spaech with the others concerning this, for it may be a way for others like us to live better, happier lifes too. Those who become changt when enwombt can not live with each other, but if may hap others seek agreäns who then become changt too others could live as we do, that would be a good thing for them. As far as I am aware I’m the only one of us ever to have had an agreän, or even to live close to another for any time. I know Havern doetn’t change, despite our cloesth, but I was young and may hap he was over old for a changing. I don’t know, but we must have spaech of it.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00109010

CHILDREN AND PAILS

BILBERRYING

18th of Stert Day 109

The herbals had concluded their evaluations of lunetime sponges, and their conclusions were the same as Ruby’s. The softest of the four types was the most absorbent and the rarest, which Ruby considered to be typical of the way things were. However, there was not a lot of difference mongst all four, but the enquiries had enabled the herbals to store what they had from all sources separated by type and provide what was a scarce resource more appropriately. Ruby and Deepwater had become highly regarded foragers as a result of her art work which they had decided to share with other foragers. The archivists were still in the process of making copies, which Næna, who was copying the drawings and paintings, declared was the most interesting work she had ever undertaken. Janice was going to bind the sheets into books which, at a stride high and half a stride wide, would be the largest leather bound books ever produced on Castle. Opal and Spice were going to prepare the fine leather Janice required from entire calf vellum supplied by Phthalen and Lavinia was making the paper-board end covers which would mark the end of her apprenticeship to Ophæn, which was when she had agreed to join the family concern working with Diana, though she still intended to spend some time making paper with her mum.

Ruby for the first time in her life was enjoying high status and as a result had decided she wished to repay the society which valued her so highly in some way. Deepwater neither understandt her feelings regards the way she reacted to being respected, nor her need to repay that in some way, after all he had never felt despised, but he loved his wife, and was happy to accede to her wishes. When she suggested they maekt it known they were seeking other adults and older children to help manage a bilberry picking day for younger children he was willing to go along with what he recognised as a good idea. Parents would only be too glad to support such a plan, and grandparents would be happy to mind the children for a day out in the company of the like minded. He suggested they advise Milligan of their intentions, and ask him for suitable food, so they could make a full day of it. He also suggested they ask Geoffrey to provide transport for some of the elders and younger children who would not be able to manage the hour and a quarter’s walk. If successful they could do it again.

Milligan had been happy to not only provide food, leaf and fruit juice he had Gibb send a couple of apprentices to assist too. The day had been a huge success, with just over a hundred children managed by forty-odd adults. Between them Gudrun and Geoffrey had provided transport for all who required it, and Rosy had taken her and Geoffrey’s new daughters abilberrying. The children had finished the day exhausted, fruit stained, full of berries and happy, and the adults had managed to collect sixty-odd pails of bilberries for Milligan’s cooks and storekeepers. Milligan was happy, the children’s parents were happy, the elders who had supervised the children had had a good day and Ruby was overwhelmed by the Folk’s reaction to her idea.

That night in bed, Deepwater asked her, “What maekt you think of it, Love?”

“I don’t know. I just thought of children and company for Bullfinch. After all, there’re loads of bilberries not far away, and it was an enjoyable way to spend a productive day.”

“You do realise don’t you you will have to do it again, and probably every year?”

“Yes, but I don’t mind. Do you, Love? I had fun. And Bullfinch will enjoy it more as he becomes older, and our other children too.”

“No, I don’t mind, but we should work on those other children now.”

Deepwater laught as Ruby considered the idea and smiling telt him, “I don’t mind working on the next one now, Love, but only one at a time if you don’t mind.”

A tenner later their next bilberrying day had over five hundred children of all ages, some three score or so of who were over ten, with a hundred and twenty-four adults to assist. Milligan, accompanied by his wife, Hollyhock, newfolk son, Ryan, and eight grandchildren, managed the food and drink himself assisted by a dozen kitcheners and cooks, many like himself accompanying their grandchildren. It looked as if the event were now a fixture on the Castle calendar. As a result Vinnek was proposing to make some large but light waggons purely for carrying large numbers of folk which the Council had agreed should be paid for out of the Collective, and Ruby and Deepwater’s status had risen to just under those who were considered to be potential Councillors.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00115010

ACCEPTANCE THE ARDOL MINERS RETURN

CUCKOO (24) & HENDRIX (29), LIZO (18) & MARTEN (27), PLANTAIN (19) & RUSSELL (20)

24th of Stert Day 115

When the crew returned to the Keep, Barleycorn had taken his log to the Master at arms archivists and telt Gareth the three newfolk were all decent men and deserving of every effort to help them find personal and craft placements. He also said after Russell had solved the problem of Brett he had suffered no undue remorse, but may hap that was due to the foot long, wiedth wide scar which had taken a lune and a half to heal which he would have as a permanent reminder of Brett’s attempts to kill him.

Russell arrived at the Master of arms later that day, and was greeted by Gareth who expressed gratitude on behalf of the Folk for the distasteful service he had rendered them. Russell said, “Thank you. I was frightened and I didn’t like it and I am glad it is over. I don’t wish to talk of it any more. I came here to find a craft, and I should like to be a butcher if possible because that’s what my dad, his dad and his dad before him did. Mum died when I was little, and Dad had only just begun to teach me when he died young from a heart attack, which was the beginning of my problems. I believe the Keep kitchens need butchers and training is available. I know little of it really, but I want to learn.”

“That is no problem at all, Russell. Morris and his butchers will be pleast to have you craft with them,” Gareth telt him. “If only every one were as easy to place. I shall send for someone in a minute or two, but what are your personal placement wishes?”

“I don’t know. I should like to have a wife who cared for me whom I could love, but have had no further thoughts as to details of her, other than I would like a family eventually.”

Gareth considered what Russell had said and leafed through a pile of papers before replying, “We have a woman on our books who is nineteen and has two young children, she works as a meat preserver for the Keep kitchens, which means sometimes with the butchers. She is a widow of rather more than a year and wishes a man who would give her more children as well as have a care to the two she has, but she regularly plays the fiddil publicly and wishes a man of at least musical interests. Could you meet her requirements bethink you Russell?”

Russell, who had played several instruments in his life, and had been a reasonable classical guitarist once, nodded and replied, “I do believe so, but I have no instrument.”

“An instrument can be maekt, but will you meet her?”

“Yes. What’s her name?”

“She is Plantain.”

When Russell and Plantain met it was clear at the outset they were interested in each other. They discussed music, and Plantain admitted she had a contralto voice, but of chorus quality only. Russell, when pressed, had admitted to singing solo tenor in productions on Earth on occasion and regularly in the eves at the mine camp. They had agreement within minutes and Plantain, holding his hand, asked if she could wait with him whilst someone from the Keep kitchens spake with Russell of butchery. Russell without awaiting Gareth to spaek held her other hand too and said, “Of course you may.”

Gibb arrived, and he immediately asked Russell if he would be prepared to learn how to butcher large animals and fish, the initial braekdown of which was still a problem for them with only one Master craftsman, an apprentice and three lærers in the Keep kitchens available for the task. Gibb explained newfolk Morris, who would be his mentor, was training Mistress provisioner Ivana, apprentice butcher Redstart, and Zena and Trefoil, who were both preparers of meat, but he knew they would appreciate another crafter. Russell thinking, if he were one of six, he’d found a craft that would be valued replied, “Yes, of course”.

All things having been dealt with Russell and Plantain went back to her chambers to begin a new life together with their two little girls.

~o~O~o~

Nextday forenoon Lizo arrived at the Master at arms to be met by Thomas. He telt him, “I should like to craft with sheep, specifically milch sheep as I believe there are large flocks of them here. I have always been fascinated by the concept of milking sheep for cheese.”

He was introduced to Mere who accepted him immediately telling Lizo, “I craft with the meat flocks, but one of my cousines or my sister Coney will call on you within a day to discuss your crafting, but you have a placement as of now. We need folk in all aspects of the craft, and the milch sheep crafters will regard you as well come.”

Mere left and Thomas asked Lizo of his personal placement wishes. Though Lizo was aware of the agreement between Barleycorn and Crossbill, and he had experienced the acceptance of the tough members of the mine crew of them as just another married couple, despite the attitude of the Folk to matters of sexuality he was still not comfortable spaeking of it, but since he had been asked point blank concerning his wishes he felt he had no choice. “I am an effeminate homosexual,” he began, but seeing the incomprehension on Thomas’ face he expanded, “I prefer men, and I am feminine in my behaviour. I can’t help it,” he continued apologetically.

Thomas informed him, “There will be a number of men registert with us seeking agreäns who will be glad to discover you are the way you are. I must go for a different set of files, but I shall be back betimes with a selection of files for you to look at.” Lizo was taken aback by Thomas’ very matter of fact lack of reaction to what he had said. He had almost recovered when Thomas returned with a pile of files. “Would you prefer a husband with children or no?” he asked.

Lizo had never had to consider such a question before, but he quickly replied, “With children, if possible please.”

Thomas put over three quarters of the files to one side and looked briefly through the few remaining files. He selected one and said, “Possibly your best match is Marten, a man with two sons and a daughter all below six who loes his husband last year to the fevers. He is twenty-seven, and I say he is possibly your best match because he is Mere’s younger brother. He is a sheepherd and shearer by craft. He states he is a masculine man seeking a man of femininity who would appreciate him. There are others who would be interestet in you if you prefer not to reach agreement within your craft clan. Would you like an introduction to Marten or some other?”

Overwhelmed by emotion it was a while before Lizo wiped the tears from his eyes and replied, “Marten, please.”

Thomas, without understanding it was his total acceptance of Lizo’s sexuality that had so deeply affected him, merely waited for him to recover his composure before sending a runner to request Marten to come to the office to meet a potential agreän. Thomas, like all other members of the Folk, had simply accepted Lizo as he was. Within the hour Lizo and his husband Marten left for Lizo to meet their children and their extended family. Lizo, for whom his sexuality had always been a matter for concealment before, was falling in love, and was overwhelmed that his love could be a matter of public knowledge, because the Folk cared not whether he loved a man or a woman, as long as he was honest regards his agreement, and lived in accordance with the Way, which for him meant being a good agreän and parent, something he had only ever dreamt of being offered the chance of.

Lizo had always despised the politically active homosexuals of his acquaintance. He believed politics was of no importance whatsoever when compared with having a good family life, irrespective of one’s sexuality. Most of his friends had been open minded straights,(9) and he had envied their happith, particularly when babysitting for them. They in their turn had wished him every happith in the future with a good man, and he had found him, Marten. Marten understandt, and treated him as the good and gentle agreän Lizo had dreamt of having the opportunity to be and Marten had dreamt of finding. Lizo was looking forward to being able to establish relationships with the children that would allow him to be himself, and was already feeling surprised and a little upset he had ever felt the need to be apologetic for a sexuality he had never had any control over.

~o~O~o~

After lunch Hendrix arrived at the Master at arm’s office with Cuckoo, a twenty-nine year old founder, whom he had reached personal and craft placement agreements with the eve before. They were looking for chambers having spent the night making love on the floor due to the inadequacy of both of their beds. The chambers organised, Campion wished them joy and good fortune and said to Cuckoo, “I look forward to your early pregnancy.” Cuckoo said, “Gratitude, Campion,” and as she and her man left she’d had to explain to him the sense of Campion’s remark.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00116010

READING TOGETHER

LILLY AND GAGE

25th of Stert Day 116

Gage asked Lilly one day if she could read and write easily. Nettled and feeling somewhat insulted she replied a little indignantly, “Of course! Can’t you?”

Lilly was completely taken aback when Gage readily admitted, “No, not properly. Where I was before you had to go to school to learn. I never doet really. I doetn’t like it, and I uest to tell myself the dogs needet the exercise more than I needet the school.” Lilly was not only surprised she was a little shocked by Gage’s admission. It had never occurred to her, other than the not over bright, any of their age would not have command of the language and have mastered reading and writing.

Most of the newfolk were still identifiable as such from their spaech, but Gage’s spaech was now indistinguishable from that of the folkbirtht, and Lilly had correctly concluded, from the speed with which he had mastered the differences and his skill with numbers, which was much more developed than hers, Gage was very bright. He’d explained to her how he’d recalculated his age in Castle years, ten years and threeteen days on incursion day and his birthday, which was the fifteenth of Towin, using the Castle calendar, but she’d not really understandt him. She had also assumed, incorrectly, his skills with the written language were of the same order as his skills with the spaken language. Gage’s cheerful willingth to admit his failings, which explained why he had asked if she could read and write easily, had instantly settled Lilly’s ruffled feelings, and she carefully asked, “Why doet you ask me?”

“I wondert if you would help me.” Then in a rush Gage continued, “I don’t wish you to be ashaemt(10) of me because I can’t read or write properly.”

Realising their relationship had moved forward a bit, and she really did wish to help him, Lilly said, “Yes, I should like to help. Would you mind if I askt Mum? She likes you and would be better than I should at explaining.”

Gage too, realising their relationship had moved forward a bit in the way it should for youngsters of the Folk, said, “Please. I’ve had some help from Beatrix, but I don’t like to trouble her because she has a lot of us to help. Beth helps me too when she’s the time, but I don’t like to take her away from Greensward, and I wish to learn faster.” They arranged for Gage to go to her dwelling nextdaynigh after the eve meal. Still children, and not quite heartfriends yet, they both parted looking forward to spending time together reading. For both of them all was the way it should be.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00116020

YOUNG LOVE

LILLY AND GAGE

25th of Stert Day 116

“Mum?” asked Lilly, “Gage’s coming here after the eve meal nextdaynigh. We’re going to practise our reading. Will you help?”

This Faith thought to be a strange request since, though only eleven, Lilly was more than proficient at both reading and writing. As were all Folk reared children, she had been taught by her parents using the materials that came to hand. There were no special materials for children on Castle, but Lilly had an extra advantage, Granny Ellen. Ellen had spent a lot of time with Lilly in the kitchen reading, from the receipt book written by Rose, which was Lilly’s most treasured possession, from Faith’s receipt books and from the one she had written herself in her younger days too. She had also helped Lilly to make a start writing her own, which whilst most of its entries concerned cooking also contained several concerning Gage. Being careful Faith asked,“Why are you practising, Love? You read beautifully.”

“Yes, but Gage doesn’t. He had none to teach him at home. They were suppoest to go to a special place to learn, but he was too busy with his dogs. He knows he has to learn, and Beatrix and his sister have been helping the squad, but he wishes to learn faster, and he askt me to help. I know I can read, but I’m not confident shewing Gage how to.” Lilly looked a little hesitant, but continued, “He sayt he doesn’t wish me to be ashaemt of him when we’re older.”

“Of course he doesn’t. That’s sensible of him, Lilly. I shouldn’t like it much if your young man couldn’t read properly, and I’m sure your father would feel the same way. I’ll ask your dad to provide us with something suitable for a young man to read.” Faith giggled a bit and said, “We don’t wish to give our secrets away just yet do we? A receipt book is hardly suitable reading for a young man is it?” Lilly giggled at the last sally too. That Faith had referred to Gage as her young man, maekt her feel grown up, and at the same time safe. Explicit parental approval of her relationship with Gage was the one thing that had been lacking so far.

“Gratitude to you, Mum.”

She hugged Faith who kissed the top of her head, and said, “He’s a hard working young man with a good future in front of him, and your dad regards him highly you know. I suggest you go and organise it, but invite him here for the eve meal too. Then we can practise reading afterwards. We’ll have a good dinner first because Granny’s right you know, feed ’em right, and they do what they’re telt.”

“Mum!” was all the response Faith received because Lilly had disappeared, presumably to inform Gage of the arrangements.

~o~O~o~

There is now an appendix 4 after the chapters which is a copy of Ch 42. It refers to the Castle calendar and time keeping and weights and measures.

There will be a gap in posting till I finish writing the ‘hole’ that I only have notes for. I have half written it over the last three days, so it shouldn’t take too long. I don’t want to post the already written material that follows the ‘hole’ and have to post what I’m working on out of sequence, so to those of you who enjoy CTS my apologies but I’ll be as fast as I can.

Regards,
Eolwaen

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin

100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Syskon(en), sibling(s).
2 Calt, cold, adjective.
3 Leech, in this context a fortune-hunter or gold-digger. An opprobrious term in Folk, for those who do not contribute their fair share are despised and so rare as they usually change their ways or give themselves to Castle.
4 To ratch, to rummage or search for something. A ratch, a look, a search.
5 Forsickth, originally forenoon sickth but now contracted, morning sickness.
6 Sincely, recently.
7 Riandet, a matter of no significance.
8 Black shaggy bear, Ursus castellos, a large species of bear unknown on Earth. Males can reach sixteen hundred weights, females twelve hundred.
9 Straight, in this context means heterosexual.
10 Ashaemt, ashamed.

up
16 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Congratulations!

This is your hundredth post of Castle the Series so congratulations, and thanks for all of your work so far.

The short delay you predict is 'a riandet'.

I have read it all, liked it all, and will keep on reading as long as you keep writing.

CTS

Thank you, Lindsay. I finished all the research on the next bit [the hole I referred to] last night. I have the out line of the entire section of the story if not written at least in my mind. Three-quarters of it is already written and the facts required for the remaining quarter is what I was researching. I'm as sure as one can ever be there are no plot errors [people being two different ages, having different names or being in two places at the same time are the sort of things I mean] and I now just have to take the research on the section descriptions and modify it to fit my requirements. I originally envisaged the section as being a single posting but that is now not possible, for it is far too big and some of it may be better pushed further into the future, i.e. Ch one-twentyish rather than Ch 102. It may well run to more than two postings. Thank you again for your support. I also would like to thank all the others who have given support too.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen