Castle The Series - 0101 Theresa and Therese

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a newfolk character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00117010

THERESA AND THERESE

22 YEARS BEFORE THE 568 INCURSION

Day 117 is not properly ascribable to any of this section, but is given in order to aid me sorting sub-sections of the work.

The birth of Theresa and Therese taekt place when Laiqqa was the Mistress healer twenty-two years before the incursion of 568. On the eighth of Uernith 546, they were birtht chirugically(1) by Cwm assisted by her mentor and friend Lunebeam. Cwm had not long completed her apprenticeship to Lunebeam. The birth was a shock, for though not unknown conjoined twins had not been birtht for nearly two hundred years, and there were only three such births recorded in the healers’ archives, where even the records of babes whose passing had been eased were scrupulously recorded. None of the three recorded pairs of twins had been as well gifted by happenstance for life as Theresa and Therese. All three had been described as seriously ill formed. One pair had not survived an hour, another had not seen the end of the lune and the third had not livt long enough for them to be weaned.

Theresa and Therese had a wider torso than would be expected for a single babe and their necks were placed such that they would be able to face each other should they so choose when their neck muscles had developed sufficiently. Their necks were atop their separate spinal columns which both arose from the sacrum of their shared pelvic girdle which was slightly wider than that of most babes. Their outer ribs curved round and forwards in the usual way to protect their thoracic cavity meeting at a shared sternum that was three-quarters as wide again as was usual. Their two hearts could be heard beating and it was believed they probably had four lungs. Their inner ribs, between their spinal columns, joined the two columns together and thus were much shorter than their outer ribs.

Their other unusual feature was the presence of two complete sets of genitalia, one female and one male, both of which were in the expected position. The male genitalia were to the front, like most male babes, and above the female genitalia which reacht back between their legs as with most female babes. Babes of two natures had been birtht before and though they were somewhat more common in the records than conjoined twins it was not by much, for there were only eight such births previously recorded.

None of the three previously recorded conjoined twins had had their passing eased, yet Jermor the midwife who had called upon the chirurgeons to cut in for the babe she hadn’t been able to birth considered easing their passing was the appropriate action to take, but neither Cwm nor Lunebeam would hear of it, for the babes were strong, there was nothing to suggest they were physically or mentally disadvantaged and as Cwm said, “They look like any other babe in their faces, and Anœlle will love them just like her other children. Their shaert body is certainly not ill formt, for they have two perfectly good legs and two perfectly good arms. They have the expectet number of toes and fingers, all with the expectet range of movement for a newbirtht. It is not for us to make such a decision, and moreover it is not your decision to make, Jemor, for you doetn't birth them. I doet.” The babes were indeed strong, and once Anœlle had recovered from the herbs that had rendered her unconscious whilst Cwm birtht her babes and did the necessary stitchery afterwards she was happy with her girls and was smiling nursing both together holding hands with a satisfied looking Brundall, her man and the girls father.

Jermor had taken issue with Cwm for what she considered to be impertinence, but Lunebeam telt her, “You are the impertinent and presumptuous one, Jermor, for as you are aware Cwm is a Mistress chirurgeon, so of the same rank as yourself, the age difference not withstanding she is as entitelt to speak her mind as you, and your age does not mean your views are of any more import than hers. Too, as she hath correctly quoth,(2) the craft rules state it was not your decision to make but hers, for she birtht the girls, not you.” When informed of the birth of the babes, Laiqqa had been of the same opinion as Cwm and Lunebeam regarding the babes’ survival.

Brundall loved his daughters exactly the same way he loved his other children and became brutally unpleasant with a pair who’d had too much to drink one eve in the White Swan, one of who was Jermor’s man. Whilst the pair were still able to hear his explanations, he’d said, “My daughters are both as active as any other babe and like a pair of twins. They are not, as you insultingly put it, a freak single babe with an extra head.” It taekt several of his kith to drag Brundall off the unconscious pair and prevent him from killing them. Ivy had attested to the events, and the Master at arms office had decreed that given the extreme nature of the provocation Brundall had been offered all that needed to be done had already been done, by Brundall, and closed the matter.

It was not understood how there could be two sets of different genitalia when the babes had just the one placenta, for single placental twins were always of the same sex. It was a rare set of circumstances that had conspired to create the babes. The female zygote that had incompletely separated to form the girls had shared Anœlle’s womb with their brother. The zygotes had fused, and the the male zygote had been subsumed by the more developed female one. The babes were a chimera and the tissue that would under other circumstances have become their brother had formed part of the composite foetus and lived on as their male genitalia and a small amount of may hap less significant tissue.

Anœlle and Brundall, had puzzled over a choice of names. They considered the babes both looked like girls so should have essentially female names, but they were happy to accept their children’s choices should either or both decide on a more masculine name at some time in the future. They eventually settled on Theresa and Therese. Their choice had been appropriate, for as the twins grew up it became clear they thought and behaved as girls, may hap more to the point it was how they thought of themselves. Puberty was from the girls’ point of view an entirely female event with broadening hips, the rounding out of their cotte(3) and an emergent bosom. The maturation of their male genitals and their occasional involuntary erection was an inconvenient riandet(4) that they had acquired underwear from the seamstresses to render unnoticeable and thus avoid embarrassment. In discussion with each other they’d decided they would be happy to share a heartfriend, but they’d never managed to interest a boy. When they’d reached menarche their interest in boys had sharpened, so they decided a more proactive approach was required. After many rejections their hurt had sharpened too when they’d realised they would probably have to live out their lifes as maids and die never having had children. Their usual cheerful dispositions became things of the past. Greenshank and Buzzard had been friends of Anœlle and Brundall for years and when the girls were thirteen had offered the girls apprenticeship with them as growers. The girls liked the idea for they liked Greenshank and Buzzard and had been friends of their children since early childhood.

Despite already having eleven children, Greenshank and Buzzard insisted twenty year old Theresa and Therese moved in with them when they lost their parents and all seven of their siblings to the fevers that started early in the year 566. Not long after the girls moved in with her family, Greenshank heard them in bed crying themselves to sleep, and during her deep spaech(5) with them she came to realise how difficult life had become for them and considered they were suffering from over grief.(6) The girls were both pretty, and their faces reminded Greenshank of Katarina their deceased grandma, and without doubt they had inherited Anœlle’s substantial and decidedly feminine hips, cotte and bosom as could be easily seen when they decided to wear an apron.(7) They had also become well respected and remunerated crafters, so should have had no difficulty in finding at least one agreän if not two. They had lots of friends, men as well as women, but none had ever expressed interest in them as women, and the prospect of living their entire lifes without agreäns distressed them. Greenshank was crying as she telt Buzzard of her conversation with the girls.

Buzzard had been friends with Ivy for years, and in conversation concerning the girls she suggested perhaps the girls may prefer to move away from the Keep, at least for a while, and that Zeeëend’s family would at least be sympathetic to their plight. If the girls willen a man then Zeeëend would possibly be the best person to help them find one, and the girls could continue with their craft at The Valley of Aurochs as valued contributors, for the three holders readily admitted that whilst they were excellent waggoners and hunters their grower skills left a lot to be desired. Buzzard agreed it was something he would recommend the girls considered seriously. Ivy telt him she would speak to Zeeëend who was the clever and forceful one in her family.

Meetings were arranged, and the girls went to live at The Valley of Aurochs. They travelled there with Zeeëend’s family when they returned in the summer of 566, which was where they learnt of Zeeëend’s similar situation regarding having two natures. Zeeëend had telt the girls, “For such as us having just one agreän is the heighth of flaughtth,(8) for we are more not less than others, and to satisfy our moerth(9) and our weäl(10) we need to live in a marriage of more than just two. We need agreäns of both natures to enable us to accept both of ours and live without a permanent sadth hanging over us.” After just over a year the five had a marriage of five and Theresa and Therese changed their names to Zylanna and Zylenna. The five agreäns returned to The Keep to deliver aurochs as soon as the pass was clear in 567 and spent half a tenner with Ivy. Once their marital situation became known, and such a piece of news circulated rapidly, there was much gossip concerning the five, but none who knew anything said anything.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00117020

ZEEËEND, ZRINA AND ZLOVAN

FOUNDING AUROCHS WATCH

26th of Stert Day 117
Day 117 is only ascribable to the initial few paragraphs of this section.

Ivy had telt David all that she knew concerning Zeeëend, Zrina and Zlovan the fourty-three year old syskonen(11) she taekt in when their parents dien from the fevers when they were fourteen. David had met the three of them the day after last second Quarterday and that eve they had sung at the Swan. Zeeëend had explained, “We plannen on arriving two or three days before Quarterday, but things happent and we couldn't leave on time. We’re not stopping long this time, Mum, Dad, because the twins doetn't come with us. We’ve three mares nigh to foaling. The twins are best at dealing with foaling, so said they’d stay, but we wish to be back as soon as possible, for there is more to be doen in the garden than the twins can manage on their own, and we wish to fence another plot for oats and rye. However, we’ll not be leaving till nextdaynigh at noon, to ensure that the horses are restet enough. Any hap, we bethinkt ourselfs we’d sing here thiseve and nexteve and listen to Dad telling tales too. We’ve telt all we’ve met we’re singing, so it would be a good idea to ready the dance hall and have extra staff behind the counters.” It was in a very natural way they had callt David Dad rather than David, in spite of Ivy only having had agreement with him the previous day. Ivy regarded them as her children, and though no formal adoption had taekt place they had called her Mum for a long time, and she was protective of them.

Ivy smiled and nodded in agreement for the holders were popular entertainers and always drew a good crowd. “I’d wondert regards opening the dance hall for your dad thiseve, for the place was packt lasteve. It you’re singing too we’ll definitely need the dance hall open. I’ll see if I can find a dozen more staff. She kissed her family in turn and added, “It is good to see you again. It’s disappointing the twins couldn’t visit, but no concern can run itself. We’ll meet later, for your dad and I are going to the Master at arms office to see if we can adopt some more family, preferably with children, to help run the place, so we can do a little less and have grandchildren to enjoy that live here. It was your Dad’s idea, so he’s worth keeping just for that.” Ivy turned to David and smiled. David smiled in return for both knew the other was thinking of the pleasures they’d enjoyed in bed with each other lastnight, despite their advanced ages. Pleasures neither had experienced for a long time.

“That’s a good idea, Mum. You craft too hard. What would they be? Syskonen? Or cousins? Well no matter they will be well come. You should have done it years since. I suppose we should have bethinkt ourselfs of it years over too. We need to see Vinnek and Eorl so we’ll mayhap be late for lunch. Have a good forenoon, Mum, Dad.” Zeeëend left with Zrina and Zlovan talking of new clothes.

~o~O~o~

The holders hadn’t lived at the White Swan for many years, because they’d apprenticed as waggoners years over. Being separated on three different waggons had maekt them unhappy, and after three seasons they’d been going to borrow the price of a waggon and team so they could craft together. Once Ivy had findt out she’d telt them to have spaech with Vinek concerning a good waggon and Eorl concerning a team and she’d buy it all for them, for she’d be much happier knowing they were happy crafting together. They’d not wanted to accept the waggon and team as a gift, so Ivy had telt them to pay it back as and when they could, but she’d be ill pleased if they did so before it was sensible so to do. “You are running a waggoning concern now, and a concern needs tokens in its account to to be able to function efficiently,” was how she’d explained her meaning.

~o~O~o~

The three just did enough trading to cover their costs and spent much time exploring further to the east of the Keep than any had ever recorded going. None of them knew why they were doing it, but all agreed it was what they willen to do. It was in their third season of waggoning together that they discovered the Valley of Aurochs. They had been following a herd of small deer of a variety they didn’t recognise with a view to acquiring a meal. They were in hilly country with a respectable range of high mountain peaks in the distance both in front of them and a little off to their north with a range of much higher peaks behind them. The herd had turned into a lushly green valley may hap three or four thousand strides wide [3-4km, 2-2½ miles] between hills of three or four hundred strides [300-400m, 900-1200 feet] to their summits. As they rounded a rocky pile where a small cliff face had partially collapsed due to being undermined by the action of frost and the wide but shallow river at its foot they could see the valley rising for may hap three or four days waggoning to a pass that they estimated to be at four thousand strides [4000m, 12000 feet] in elevation. The valley was flat bottomed and surrounded by hills that became higher with increasingly steeper sides that became nigh to vertical in the distance, yet the parts they could see looked to be easy waggoning, and the lure of the pass was irresistible to all three.

The game trail they followed was close to the river’s right hand bank and for as far as they could see was wide enough for the waggon with few rocks they would have to remove to enable passage. A few times rocks fell from the valley walls making them grateful they could drive near the river and avoid the falling rocks some of which were substantial boulders of may hap a few hundred weights. After a few hours the game trail crossed the river and they had to too, for the wide easy waggoning ground disappeared on their side of the river as the river angled across it. The crystal clear water of the river was no where more than two feet deep and the boulders on its bed were no more than a foot across, most were less than half of that, so they allowed the horses to slowly make their own way across and crossed without problems. The trees were mostly hard wood species at the base of the hills with alder, aspen and willow next to the river, a few of which they had to cut to make their way. The variety of wild flowers and animal life was astonishing, but Zeeëend opined within such a narrow space they would be easier to notice than else where. There were many species they recognised and far many more they didn’t.

They crossed scores of small streams feeding into the river, most of which ran down the valley walls with out ever becoming a force.(12) The alder, aspen and willow by the river became smaller and then stunted as their route climbed, and the oak, elm, beech and hornbeam were no longer the dominant species being gradually superseded by cedar, juniper, yew, pine, fir, larch and other conifers which they didn’t recognise higher up the hillsides. In the distance they saw a juvenile wolf eating, but as soon as it became aware of their presence it picked up the coney and disappeared into the tall undergrowth in front of a thicket of birch with white pure white bark that stood out in the shine.(13) There were two major lakes in front of them that the river fed and then left, but neither barred their passage and the innumerable smaller waters seemed to be attached to the far side of the river. The herd of deer they had followed had long since disappeared from sight, but as they were looking for somewhere to camp a solitary young boar came to the river to drink and fell to Zrina’s crossbow quarrel. They carried on for an hour till the grazing was good enough to ensure the horses wouldn’t wander far and decided to leave them unhobbled but feed them their oats in the morning, so as to ensure they would have no difficulty re-harnessing them.

Thateve over their meal they discussed their intentions as Zrina updated their log, and when Zlovan said, “I wish to at least see what lies the other side of the pass, or I’ll never be able to forget that I doetn’t look,” the others agreed with him. They had an early start the following day and as they climbed the valley, which was becoming a steeper climb, the vegetation further changed in nature and the hard woods had been completely replaced by conifers. The tall, lush grass and wild flowers of the day before had been replaced by several types of tough, scrubby tussocks that were barely green, and though the flowers were just as plentiful they were now smaller and closer to the ground. The tall, green water reeds and cattails of lower down the valley had been replaced by dirty gray looking clumps two feet tall at most which had wind shredded tops and edges leaving just the fibres to flutter in the breeze. The clouds of insects near the river that had bothered the horses the day before were virtually gone, but so were the flocks of birds that had feasted on them.

They’d had to cross the river again, but this time though narrower and now only a foot deep the river bed comprised bigger boulders with deep holes in places. “We’re abegging to shatter a wheel crossing that!” Zlovan exclaimed. They walked up and down the river bank to find the best place to cross and eventually Zlovan said, “This is the best place to cross, it’s not good, for there are half a dozen or so deep holes, but elsewhere there are more. If we fill the holes in with the loose rocks sticking up we can work our way berount the worst high rocks that we can’t move.” It taekt them over two hours of back braeking work in the bitterly cold water taking it in turns to use the heavy gevlik(14) to pry out boulders for the others to drop in the holes. Zeeëend marked their crossing site by building a small cairn so it would be easy to find for their use on their return. They lit a fire, stripped to the skin, dried off and dressed in dry clothes before eating a hot meal. Whilst their meal was warming they rubbed the horses down and gave them some oats before allowing them to graze on the poor grass that was available.

The rocks that had to be removed from the game trail to allow them passage occurred more frequently than lower down the valley, but the trail was as easily passable as before and looked to continue so for as far as they could see. “I’m going to be really disappointed if we can’t get the waggon to the pass,” Zlovan telt the others. “I know we’ve got most of the gris left to eat, but if we don’t find any more food before we reach the pass we’ll be hungry before we arrive back at the valley mouth. There’re trout in the water and probably other fish too. I suggest we leave ourselfs a couple of hours of daylight before we camp and spend the time fishing. What opine you?” The others agreed and after making camp and seeing to the horses the three were amazed at the eagerth of the fish to be hooked. They taekt fish enough for their meal and another meal the following day, cooked all the fish, ate, checked the horses and had an early night after updating the log.

The following day after starting at firstlight Zrina set her crossbow on its stand in the back of the waggon and did no driving, for she was intent on killing one of the wild goats that browsed the scrubby grasses and the junipers. It was may hap six when they spotted the flock of goats. They halted the waggon so as to allow Zrina to kill, bleed and gralloch the full sized but immature billy. “I suspect its one of last year’s kids for it doesn’t stink like a two year old billy would,” she said as her knife was busy with the carcass. Ten minutes later they were moving again. The game trail was still climbing along the right hand side the river which by ten was little more than a feverishly tumbling, shallow, four stride [4m, 12 foot] wide rill, though they could see it was home to thousands of young trout and a number of other smaller fish species. The rill bed was mostly a coarse sand and gravel mixture with piles of small rounded pebbles in places, all sorted by the tumbling and aerating action of the water. “Good spawning conditions for the fish,” Zrina noted nodding towards the water, “but I wonder what there is for them to eat.”

They had climbed above the treeline by eleven, and the valley had turned so that they were travelling north-eastwards rather than eastwards. The trail was becoming steeper, and Zrina reckoned the tree line would have been at two thousand five hundred strides, [2500m, 7500 feet] so despite the longer and more frequent rests required by the horses and their slower pace they were at an elevation of twixt three thousand and three and a half thousand strides.[3000-3500m, 9000-10500 feet] By lunch at noon there was no longer any vegetation at all, even the lichens on the rocks, some of which were bright, multi-hued yellows and sunsets,(15) had vanished. The loose rocks on the ground were now far more plentiful but much smaller, and few had to be moved to allow passage.

By early afternoon the route could be seen to be wide enough all the way to the pass to allow them to reach it, but there were no further places to turn the waggon berount. If they had to return once the pass was reached they would have difficulty reversing down a steep incline back to where they were to turn the waggon. They were thinking their options through when Zeeëend said, “The horses are working hard, but they are not distressed by the thin air, so I opine they are good for the rest of the way to the pass as long as we do not stay there too long. If we decide to return rather than continue over the pass we can lead the horses down past the waggon at the pass. If we lock the brakes and hitch the leaders and centres to the rear of the waggon the incline is such that even with lockt brakes the four horses will be able to pull it backwards down hill to here where we can turn it with less effort than it will take all six to pull it to the pass. With the leaders and centres hitched to the waggon rear fastenings and the wheelers hitched to the pole facing the waggon to provide braking it will be slower than a conventional steep downhill hitching with the leaders at the rear, but it will work. What bethink you?” The others concurred, but it proven not to be necessary.

For the last hour the walls of the valley had been becoming less and less vertical as they approached the pass and they were no more than fifty strides above them when they reached it with two and a half hours of daylight remaining. They were completely stunned by what lay in front of them. They were looking down at a far more moderate incline that the one they had just climbed into a valley that maekt the beauty and splendour of the valley on their side of the pass pale into insignificance. Facing them was a valley that ran away from them to the north-east for twenty thousand strides [20km, 12½ miles] before taking an abrupt turn to the north for a further twenty thousand terminating at the foot of a monstrous glacier in an aeons long retreat back from the valley it had gouged from the solid rock The moraine at its foot shewed how much abrading and gouging of the cwm under its huge mass it had accomplished when growing. The cwm that one day would produce a tarn of significant deepth and size. Most astonishing of all was the valley seemed to be hewn out of a limestone substrate rather than the igneous rock that the rock in the valley of their ascent had comprised which was mostly granite similar to that found at The Keep.

The U shaped valley in front of them was rarely a thousand strides [1km, ⅝ of a mile] wide and had even more sheer walls than the valley on their side, too in many places there was a considerable overhang at the top. The walls varied twixt three hundred and four hundred strides [300-400m, 900-1200 feet] high and there were a hundred or more forces cascading over the edges many of which had become completely broken up to mist before joining the pools they had gouged at the beginnings of their tributaries of the great valley river that seemed to disappear into the foot of the unbraeken vertical limestone scarp wall to their right that ran back up the valley for ten thousand strides or more. [10km, 6¼ miles] Where the forces fell over an overhang in an unbraeken descent they were particularly impressive. There was a background noise coming from far up the valley which they realised was the distant roar of the thunderous forces that became more significant in flow the nearer to the glacier they were.

Zrina estimated the valley floor to run from an elevation of three thousand strides [3000m, 10000 feet] at the farthest end to one thousand five hundred strides [1500m, 5000 feet] in front of them. The entire valley, its flanking walls and the lesser seeming mountains immediately around them were surrounded on all sides by huge mountain ranges with numerous peaks reaching through the clouds to fifteen thousand strides [15000m, 50000 feet] or more which maekt it seem even deeper. It was a completely awe inspiring sight. The route down to the valley floor ran away from them to the left in front of the sheer valley wall to join the valley floor half way to the glacier foot at the point where the valley turned north. It dropped one thousand five hundred strides [1500m, 5000 feet] over a farth(16) of twenty thousand strides [20km, 12½ miles] which was a much gentler descent than their approach to the pass, but steeper than their first day in the valley. The route down was wide and clear of obstacles and they had daylight enough left to make the descent.

The valley floor was lush in deep green grasses and spectacular wild flowers, but most astonishing of all were the huge herds of aurochs, tens of thousands of beasts. Zeeëend said, “They must live here all year, there is no way out, for they can’t possibly migrate over the pass we uest, or any other, to reach a source of winter food. There must be enough food to sustain them all year. I wonder how they came to be here. And there must be enough predators to prevent them overgrazing the valley and starving. This would be a good place for us to live. It must be warm enough in winter for the grasses and flowers to survive, so we could grow all the food we need and there is meat for the taking.”

“I know we wouldn’t need many tokens if we livt here, but we would need some for tools and the like, Zeeëend. How do we earn them?”

“There’s ice aplenty here, Zrina. It’ll be the melting glacier water that feeds the forces, for there are significant amounts of ice in the river. If we freeze aurochs and pack them with ice before insulating them on the waggon with dried grass we could take three at a time to the Keep. We could buy more horses and another pair of wagons and eventually take nine back at a time, more if we uest bigger waggons and more than six horses in a team. Two may hap three trips a year. We could do more if we willen to visit Mum, but we wouldn’t have to for any other reason.”

~o~O~o~

The three stayed in the valley and built a small house to over winter in. The following year they built a much larger house which they named Aurochs Watch. It was when they took their first three aurochs to The Keep that they became cross crafters with the huntsmen. As Will put it, “As cross crafters with us your hunting equipment and its maintenance cost you nothing. It is tight and equitable that you become members of the huntsmen for you are feeding the Folk. I’ll put word berount for you that any waggoner willing to travel to your valley has a return load to lead in. I suggest that for at so great a whilth from the Keep life would be easier and safer too at your holding with more folk living there. I doubt you’ll have many visitors, but it’s possible.” They’d traded their standard waggon for a bigger one and acquired another pair of horses for their return when they would be doing a little trading before going home with a team of eight pulling a ridiculously light load of seeds, plants and tools, but it meant they could take five aurochs back to The Keep next time. Thereafter when returning home they collected the rock that had fallen onto the trail to improve the river fords with.

In time they insisted on repaying Ivy for their original waggon and team, and had three waggons custom maekt by Vinnek, each of which when pulled by twelve horses could carry eight aurochs. They bought the necessary horses to form the nucleus of a small herd that ran free in the valley during the day, but returned to their stables at night for the warmth, the oats and hay. Gentle Giant, their stallion had been bred by Anvil and was a magnificent animal who ensured they no longer had to pay for any more horses.

~o~O~o~

In the more than twenty years they had lived in the Valley of Aurochs they had not had any visitors till Theresa and Therese went to live with them. It was during their visit to The Keep for second Quarterday 568 that they seekt Torrent whom they had known for years with a view to him taking aurochs back to The Keep. He agreed in principle, but said he had a lot of commitments and it would probably be mid Stert at the earliest. That suited them fine because by them the weather would be colder and the meat would keep well with virtually no insulation. They had agreed on mid to late Stert with a view to returning in convoy with all four waggons. They had also ordered another custom waggon from Vinnek for Zylanna and Zylenna to drive so they would be able to deliver thirty-two aurochs to The Keep at a time.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00118010

WELL COME HOME SON

CÉLINE (18) AND ALASTAIR (19)

27th of Stert Day 118

Long before the end of their four lune voyage Alastair and Céline had telt each other all there was to tell of each other. In his case there wasn’t much of any significance to tell. He’d never known his dad and had had reasonable relationships with his mother and brothers. He didn’t have any sisters, and his mum was ineffectual at controlling her three sons who ran wild and in consequence had never had anything in the way of a future. He had admitted to Céline Castle, the Cove and her friendship were the best things that had ever happened to him. He was reasonably bright, had learnt a lot of navigation, and Carrom thought he was nimble fingered and quick at learning rope-work. Célineʼs parents, Meld her mum and Frogbit her dad, were growers, she had a sister, Midnight who was also a grower, a year younger than she and had lost her twenty-three year old brother, Jijk,(17) to the fevers the year before. She was interested in Wildcat a twenty year old smith, but admitted to Alastair, “I haven’t spaken of it to him, Alastair, so I don’t know if he has noticet me. I have decidet to have spaech with him when we return before some other does.”

Céline was of medium highth had long auburn hair and an attractive face. Though he wasn’t interested in her in that way Alastair could see the expression on her face when she was considering something would be fascinating to any man who was, and he said, “If he hasn’t noticed you he must be blind. You’re very pretty you know.”

Céline considered that for a moment, with that expression on her face again, and asked, “Are you sure you’re not just saying that because you like me?”

Alastair snorted in exasperation, “I love you like a sister, Céline, but I’m neither blind nor stupid. You are pretty.”

Céline put her hand on his and said, “You are kind.” They had discussed his thoughts on finding a woman, and Céline had telt him, “I know folk always see the best in others whom they like, and I’m no different, but you are a man of good looks and you’re a successful crafter now. You are friends with all the crew and have a good future in front of you. I’m sure it won’t be long after we dock before you find someone to have a care to, who will have a care to you. I have a lot of friends, which will help.”

Alastair who had realised some time ago he wished to settle down was grateful for her offer of help, and said, “I’m sure you’re right, yet it still worries me.”

Céline had laught and said, “We both have worries then. It’s a pity we don’t fancy each other that way isn’t it?”

Alastair laught with her, kissed her cheek and said, “Life is that way most of the time. Nothing is ever easy is it, Sis?”

Two days later they were pumping out the bilges, an unpleasant task maekt bearable because it was so much easier with two on the pump, when Céline asked him, “You know you sayt you lovt me as a sister, Alastair?”

“Yes, what of it?”

“I love you as a brother too.”

“I told you. I’m neither blind nor stupid. I know you do.”

“No, you don’t understand. You had no placement to go to when we dockt doet you? As my brother you come home with me because you have a placement and a home, parents, two sisters and lots of other family too.”

The pair of them stopped pumping, and Alastair looked hard at her face and said, “But what would your parents say?”

The difference between their cultures was at work, and Céline replied, “What would they say other than, ‘Well come home, Son’?” It taekt them some while to understand each other’s point of view, but eventually Alastair understandt not just what Céline was saying, but the implications of what she was saying too. Céline had her arms berount him as he struggled with his emotions. Eventually after kissing his cheek which she had dried with her hair she said, “It’s how it works here, Brother. The family will be pleast for all of us as well as for you.”

The day before The Cove of Keep docked, ship Mistress Coral asked Alastair to see her in the chart cabin. She telt him, “You’ve learnt a lot, Alastair, and you’ve the makings of an excellent ship crafter. I understand you wish a berth at sea. If you wish it, I’d be pleast to offer you a permanent one on the Cove.”

“I’d like that, Coral, thank you.”

“After we dock we shan’t be putting to sea again till some work has been doen on the hull and the helm gear which will probably take a lune and a half. If you would like to continue learning navigation we should make some arrangements for that.”

“I should like to do that, if only to avoid forgetting what I have learnt.”

“I understand you have joint Célineʼs family.” Coral asked, “I shall contact you there shall I?”

“Please.”

Coral indicated the conversation was over and as he was leaving said, “Congratulations on your placements both craft and personal.”

They docked at the Keep in the late forenoon of the following day, and cargo Mistress Dandelion had supervised the unloading. The deck cargo was unloaded first and when the dock derrick woman started to unload Alastair’s log Dandelion telt her, “Be careful with that piece of tree. Despite its looks it’s worth a fortune.”

Once the ship’s hold was unloaded, ship Mistress Coral had formally handed over the Cove of Keep to the shipwrights, who waited for the tide to turn to sail her north across the estuary to Dockside to put her into a dry dock for the necessary work to be carried out, but as soon as the log had been loaded onto a waggon by the docksmen, Céline and Alastair had had the wood, now down to three quarters of its immersed weighth, taken to Mistress woodworker Posy. Posy was a lathe crafter who also maekt blocks for ships and was familiar with ship work generally. They went with the waggon and explained to Posy what they wished.

Posy was delighted with the wood and exclaimed, “Mercy! What a find! My sorrow I can’t have any fids ready for your next trip, because it will need to dry further for another two lunes at least, probably three and possibly four, but I can provide you with some oaken fids of different sizes that will keep you going if you’re desperate till it’s ready for working on.” She hesitated and asked, “The fids will come from the side branches. The log itself will be untoucht and it is worth a lot to me. I should be prepaert to make the fids in return for the log to make high quality blocks from. It’s a much better trade for me than for you, and I should be happy to make other things for you, or to leave it as a debt I owe you or even buy it outright. What bethink you?”

Alastair looked questioningly at Céline and she replied, “We can’t use the wood so you have it, and you can owe us, Posy, though I have a hardwood knot I should like you to make a fid from please. If you like as you sell the blocks pay our share into a new account with Sagon in Alastair’s name.”

“Bring your knot in for me, but it won’t alter the situation, I shall still owe you something significant. I’ll set up the account with Sagon betimes, for I have orders I can now meet that will use most but not all of it. It’ll be rare for me to have such available for instant use. Most customers place an order and have to wait till I acquire the wood.”

Alastair expressed gratitude to Posy for the promise of the fids to keep him going, and as they left Posy’s workshop Alastair said to Céline, “I didn’t realise it was worth so much. I know you said it was mine, but you have to have half, Céline.”

“I’d like a small siezt fid for wiedth wide [13mm, ½ inch] rope, but other than that I don’t need aught, and the best thing is to keep the fids and the favour Posy owes us till we need them. She’ll have Sagon record the debt on her account to us and we can take the tokens as we wish them.”

Alastair abruptly changed the subject by saying, “I’m nervous regards meeting your family.”

Céline stopped walking and looking him in the eyes firmly stated, “Our family, Brother.”

“Our family then, but still I’m nervous.”

She smiled, held her hand out for Alastair who taekt it grateful for her understanding and support. The family were having lunch when, still hand in hand, Céline and Alastair entered the eating space. Céline announced before any could rise, “This is my brother, Alastair.”

Meld standt first, and she hugged Alastair and kissed his cheek saying exactly as Céline had predicted, “Well come home, Son. Sit to your lunch, there is aplenty for all, and tell us of it, Love.”

Frogbit shook his hand, hugged him and patted him on the shoulder saying, “The spicet goose is excellent I can recommend it, Son.”

Midnight flusht, kissed Alastair quickly and said, “Well come home, Brother Alastair,” before quickly sitting down and taking no further part in the conversation.

Meld set two more places for the pair, and Alastair and Céline telt their tale over lunch and the following hour. Alastair gradually became easier regards his acceptance into his new family over the hour and a half. Alastair knew Midnight was seventeen, though she could have passed for a couple of years younger than that, and that she said naught maekt him look at her from time to time. She attracted him in a way Céline didn’t. She was a small woman of petite build with a thin face, a slender figure, pale blue eyes and long blonde hair which she habitually wore loose forward over her left shoulder. She was not a pretty woman like her sister, but Alastair thought her an attractive one, and he knew he was interested in her. Meld had thought when the pair first came in holding hands Céline had found a man, and she had wondered how Wildcat was going to accept it. She was glad it was not so for Wildcat’s sake because he had been asking of Célineʼs return regularly. She also realised her younger daughter had taken to Alastair on sight and suspected it was reciprocated.

She said to Frogbit that night in bed, “It looks as if we’re in for an interesting few tenners, my love.”

Frogbit yawned and said philosophically, “They grow up, and we grow old. That’s the Way of it, My dear. The trick is to enjoy the process.”

Meld said indignantly, “We’re not that old, Love,” and she proceedet to prove her point.

Frogbit, reluctant to concede the last word, said a little later, “As I telt you, Love, the trick is to enjoy the process.”

Meld laught and said, “Go to sleep.”

The following day Coral went to see Thomas regards Alastair and to hand her log in for the archivists. Their conversation was brief and to the point, and Coral telt Thomas, “He’s a competent ship crafter and will become an excellent one. He’s signt on for our next voyage, and I’m pleast to have him, for he’s highly regardet by the crew. He wishes to continue learning navigation whilst the Cove’s in dry dock, and I’ll be arranging that later. He’s been adoptet as brother by Céline and is living with their parents and family. I have no idea what his intentions to find a wife are, but I do know it isn’t Céline. They behave like a devotet pair of syskonen, and I shouldn’t care much for the chances of any man who hurt her if he’s berount. He’s good Folk, and you need have no worries for him. He has enough kin now to help him deal with aught that could possibly happen.”

“Gratitude for the information, Coral,” Thomas said. “I’ll make a note of it. I take it you have hearet of the incident on the Dolphin?”

“Yes, I doet. I know Yew says we can’t expect all to turn out tight, but I’m glad I had a success because it’s good for the morale of the crew.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00119010

AUNTIE LIZO

HEALING HURTS WITH KISSES

28th of Stert Day 119

Lizo was happier than he had ever dreamt it was possible to be. Marten’s children, Ranulf, Persil and Hakon, had been very upset when Spargus, their mum, had dien. None of them remembered their birth mother, Purity, who had faded away and dien when they were tiny. Spargus, their mother’s brother and only sibling, had been the only mum they had ever known. He’d been a man who gave them far more kisses than scolds, and they missed him desperately, but they also hoped their dad would find them another mum betimes. Marten had introduced Lizo to the children as their mother, and they had immediately started calling him Mum, someone who would heal their hurts with kisses. For them, they had two parents again and the concomitant status. For Lizo his world was perfect, he could not only live openly as an effeminate man with his husband, his children needed and demanded it. His final realisation of the total acceptance of himself occurred when his children’s friends called him, “Auntie Lizo.” Most wonderful of all was Marten understandt how he felt and telt him he loved him the more for it. That none of it maekt any difference to the Folk because they were accepting of what ever he was taekt him a long time to understand.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00120010

ALASTAIR ACQUIRES A BROTHER

A VERY RELIEVED COUPLE CÉLINE (18) AND WILDCAT (20)

29th of Stert Day 120

“Mum?” asked Céline in a worried tone of voice.

“Yes, Love,” her mother replied, wondering what was coming. Meld was still not entirely convinced the relationship between Alastair and her elder daughter was that of two siblings and was worried a difficult situation was looming.

“It’s Wildcat…” Céline clearly didn’t know how to continue.

Meld said, in a tone of voice that was much more calm than she felt, “He has been here a number of times whilst you were away asking after you. Is that going to be a problem, Céline?”

The expression of relief on Célineʼs face maekt Meld feel even more relief if that were possible. “No, why should it? I was spaeking with Alastair regards Wildcat because I wasn’t sure if Wildcat had even noticet me, and he sayt Wildcat had to be blind if he hadn’t because I was pretty. I knoewn Alastair liekt me when we first met, and came to love me as a sister, but it worryt me he may hap just sayt that because he liekt me. I telt him I was going to have spaech with Wildcat, and he askt me if I should name my first son Alastair because he wisht to name his first daughter Céline. I should like that. Bethink you I could reach agreement with Wildcat because I really like him?”

Meld had come to realise during Célineʼs remarks Alastair and Céline were very close indeed, but it was a sibling cloesth and naught else, and she replied, “I do believe Wildcat is interestet in reaching agreement with you, Love, and when he hears you are back he will be here at the first opportunity, probably thiseve.”

“I do hope so,” said Céline, “because I wish to introduce him to Alastair. I love having a brother, Mum, because it makes me feel so safe.” There were tears in both Célineʼs and her mother’s eyes as they thought of Jijk, but Céline continued, “I know Alastair would never let any hurt me, it’s as if I had another dad, but of my own age. I telt him when we were spaeking of Wildcat, and of him wishing to find a woman it was a pity we doetn’t fancy each other that way. Do you know what he doet and sayt? He kisst me and sayt ‘Life’s never easy is it, Sis?’ I really wish to help him find someone. I’m sure Midnight likes him, that would be excellent, Mum, if he reacht agreement with her wouldn’t it?”

Meld wasn’t as sure as Céline it was a good idea to let Wildcat know how much she loved Alastair, but then thought if he became jealous of her love for a new found brother may hap he wasn’t the son she wished, and Alastair was clearly protective of Céline which she did approve of since they would be sailing together. She was also in favour of his attraction to Midnight who was shy and needed a strong man. “Yes, it seems she does like him, and I should be happy if they reacht agreement.” Meld hesitated a little, “I don’t wish to hurt you, Love, but it may not be obvious to Wildcat your love for Alastair is that of a sister for her bother, and he may become jealous, you need to consider how you will deal with that.”

Célineʼs uncompromising reaction surprised Meld, “Alastair is my brother. I love him. He is family. If Wildcat or any other man can not accept that then they need to seek elsewhere for a woman. I will let no man drive a wedge between me and any member of my family.” Céline thought for a moment and said, “And I shall tell him so as soon as I see him. Gratitude, Mum.”

“I have to agree with you, Céline. Jealousy is not a pleasant thing to live with, and much as I should like you to reach agreement with Wildcat, I should rather you doet not than you spent the rest of your life keeping the peace between your man and your family, and Alastair is family. Your Dad regards him highly you know, and he believes you actet in the best interests of the whole family in becoming his sister. He is proud of you and is happy to have a son who is so protective of his sisters. I believe he hopes Alastair will marry Midnight.”

“Gratitude, Mum. I hope, and I believe Wildcat will be glad I have a brother. If I have spaech with Alastair, will you have spaech with Midnight?”

“You leave the matter alone, Daughter. You would not appreciate any interfering between you and Wildcat, and your sister will be no different.” She smiled and said, “As to what I do, that is a different matter. I’m her mum, and the usual rules do not apply to mums as you will learn when you become one.”

Céline laught, “I shall leave it to you, Mum.”

Later that eve Wildcat visited as Meld had predicted. Céline taekt him out for a walk prepared to charm Wildcat in any way she was able, which proven to be unnecessary. She came back a married woman with a husband who was eager to meet her brother who he was convinced would look after his wife whilst they were aboard ship. Céline had been correct, Wildcat was not jealous and was as eager as she to help his brother reach agreement with someone. Céline had not telt him she was trying to make sure the someone was her sister. Alastair and Midnight were both pleased to have a new brother, though Midnight was only thinking of Wildcat as her new brother and not Alastair.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00122010

COUNCIL MEETING

NORMAL COUNCIL MEETING

1st of Larov Day 122

As was usual for the monthly Council meeting there were few serious matters to discus, for Castle in the main produced few problems.

Thomas provided what little new information there was concerning the newfolk. “The three pregnant women who have been at Aaronʼs family holding, Vikki, Carley and Bekka, have all returnt and findt husbands last Quarterday and all have crafts to go to. Gareth buyt a device off Bekka for the price of two milch cows in calf on the advice of George who said it would help them in their endeavours enormously. Axel said it maekt the calculations much easier. The Ardol miners have returnt with three of their four incomers, all now marryt and with crafts. The fourth, Brett, is dead, he was killt in self defence by one of the others in front of most of the crew.” The Council were glad to hear the few remaining issues of the incursion were beginning to be resolved. The deadth of Brett was discussed, but none was disturbed by the loss of a man who would attack one over a game of sanno.

Pilot added,“He was one of the ones Will had doubts of. He’s had his chance, but we’re better off with him dead.”

Thomas resumed, “Concerning the matter of Tarse’s treatment of Turner and Otday. The holders were appriest by Ptarmigan, of Geoffrey’s ajudgement, which he discusst with us and Aaron considert reasonable and entirely in keeping with the Way and the waggoners’ charter. Ptarmigan, acting as attestatrix on behalf of Geoffrey, goent to the holding, with a squad of guardians for her protection, to attest that all adult holders were aware of the ajudgement and not just Tarse. She telt us on her return that had the guardians not been there it was clear Tarse would not have allowt any else to hear of it. She askt the guardians to enter the house to ensure none were left inside and the guardians had to restrain Tarse. She surmiest he had not wisht her to see Orgé whom the guardians escorted out of the house with a number of terrifyt children. Orgé had clearly been subject to a severe beating. There is only one at the holding who would have doen that though Orgé would spaek of it not and bringt no complaint.

“We have subsequently been informt by Nettle of the waggoners that Tarse of that ilk has been findt dead, so may hap recent events have bringen Tarse’s kin to their senses. She was telt Tarse had been stabt through the heart in his bed, but with his rule of fear and violence he has been courting deadth for decades. It is believt one of his agreäns, probably Orgé or Vlœnna, is responsible, but it could have been any at the holding given what we know of Tarse. None is bothert, and we have no intention of investigating the matter. He has finally bringen his deadth to himself as a result of his treatment of Turner and Otday. I am relievt that Tarse holding is now under the tight leadership of Ogré and her syskonen who have payt the holding’s debt to Otday in full and reimburst Turner for the tokens Tarse deductet from her fee for Otday’s keep. They have renaemt the holding Woodland’s Edge. It is interesting, but of no particular relevance, that Orgé had agreement with her brother Tvåday within hours of Tarse’s deadth being discovert by his sister Vlœnna who had his body dragt away for the carrion eaters to deal with, so may hap it was Tvåday who killt Tarse on her behalf, but whoever killt him should have doen so long over. Vlœnna, who now has agreement with her eldest son Leign, informt Nettle that they are seeking to share the holding with others and askt her to have it noted at the Master at arms office and for one of us to make a Quarterday appearance on their behalf.”

Thomas looked berount him but none wisht to comment so he continued, “Alastair who had been shipt out on the Cove of Keep has returnt. He is going to craft on the Cove and has become a brother to Céline, one of the Coveʼs crew, and lives with their parents.”

Interesting as Thomas’ information had been to the Councillors they were eagerly awaiting the Mistress grower Alsike’s report of the year’s grain harvest and in particular her appraisal of George’s reaper-binders. “We have had a very good harvest this year, and we have gathert it all in dry, and in an unprecedentetly short space of time, though it must be sayt the weather has been perfect for harvesting. Concerning the new reaper-binders, we startet the trial, as I’m sure many of you are aware, by having our best scythe crafters working alongside the reaper-binders as a comparison. We givn that up within the first hour. One reaper-binder was faster than all of our scythe crafters put together. There is less grain loss than when using scythes and the speed with which they can gather the harvest will mean in years with poor weather we shall have far less left unharvestet. The harvest had to be opent by the scythe crafters cutting a path in for the reapers first so they doet not have to go over uncut crop, but next year we shall leave a clear border berount the crop and plant early maturing vegetables there. The scythes can reach right into the corners and give flexibility the horses and reaper-binders can’t emulate, but the reaper-binders are a vast improvement, and leaving a clear border means the corners will be irrelevant. However, despite the reaper-binders, we intend to carry on with scythe craft as part of the apprenticeship for growers, for they are uest for many purposes other than cereals.

“George tells us if the ground is wet the reaper-binders can be fitt with wider wheels so as to prevent them sinking, he also tells us he can build wind or horse powert air blowers to dry off grain gathert damp which will prevent it from moulding in storage. He sayt they would be like the fans which take the smoke away from the stoves’ flues in the kitchens but working to blow not pull. There have been a few slight problems with the reaper-binders which have been rectifyt, and in the light of this year’s experience George is going to make more significant modifications to all three of the reaper-binders now the harvest is completet. Three others are now being maekt along with a number of other different types of machinery. As you are aware the improven ploughs are now ploughing not just our existing growing areas but the virgin land over the river too. The ploughing will without doubt be finisht this season before the frost makes further ploughing impossible. Some of the newfolk who were growers before their incursion have telt us grain can be sown before winter for an early harvest. There are special varieties for the purpose on Earth, but we intend to try the idea on a small scale with what we have by hand sowing as the seed sowing machines are not even startet yet. It is hoept(18) to have what George calls the seed drills, which will sow the seed evenly, economically, and quickly, and other machinery ready for next planting season.” The Council had expected to be impressed by the reaper-binders, but this was news beyond aught they could have hoped for.

Yew was thoughtful and went over to the door where he instructed a messenger. He spake too quietly for the Council to hear, but on his return to his chair announced, “I suspect before long George will be joining us on the Council, but whilst times I’ve sent for more brandy and insist before we end, all drink to George and his machines.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith

101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Chirugically, surgically. In this case by what on Earth is referred to as a Caesarian section, or C section.
2 Quoth, quoted. The verb to quote is unusually irregular in Folk. For further detail see appendix 3.
3 Cotte, the Folk word for a female bottom.
4 Riandet, a matter of no significance.
5 Deep spaech, a Folk expression for profound conversation.
6 Overgrief, a euphemism used by healers for clinical depression which they see as a mental illness amenable to treatment by altering the environment the sufferer finds themself in. That means the folk she associates with need to alter their behaviour. If that is not possible the preferred treatment is to have the sufferer move to a different environment like a holding or to Dockside over the river. A euphamism is uest by the normally blunt Folk, for it is believed that its use aids the sufferer to recover and telling her she has a mental illness could make her worse. In essence the healers believe the sufferer needs to see half full glasses not half empty ones. Note the Folk usage, in the preceding explanation, of the feminine default when no person is specified.
7 Apron, a direct descendant of a Bavarian Dirndl. An apron consists of a laced bodice atop a full skirt. It is worn with a low-cut blouse with short puff sleeves, which often are threaded with ribands, and an apron. It is normal and frequent wear for women of the Folk.
8 Flaughtth, foolishness.
9 Moerth, in this context moreness. In different circumstances it can mean umpteenth.
10 Weäl, well being.
11 Syskon(en), sibling(s).
12 Force(s), waterfall(s).
13 Shine, sunshine.
14 Gevlik, a heavy, pointed iron prybar or crowbar.
15 Sunset, Folk word for the colour orange.
16 Farth, farness or distance.
17 Jijk, pronounced halfway between Duke and Jake, (dʒju:k).
18 Hoept, hoped.

up
16 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos