Babs' New Year's Resolution 48

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s Resolution 48

©Copyright to Beverly Guinevere Taff

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.

Caution. All names and characters are purely fictitious and bear no relationship to anybody dead or living. Some items might be real (for example names of regiments) but the locations, dates and events are purely elements of the author’s imagination and bear no connection to any history or annals of any divisions or regiments at any time in either the British or American armies.

Chapter 48.

It was Belinda who broke the tension as her Nan’s voice called nervously down the phone.

“Darling, are you alright.? Is there anything wrong.? Are they treating you properly?”

“Ye- yes Nan. I’m fine. Shocked but okay. I’ll call you later, I think Molly Denton is about to cry.”

“Oh do take care darling and make sure Lola’ okay. Is she still sleeping?”

“Yes Nan. Lola’s fine. She’s sleeping and that’s the best thing for her. Listen, the family here is somewhat discombobulated by the news. I’ll call you when I go to bed.”

“Do that darling, and don’t be bullied. Come straight home if there are problems.”

“Nan! I’m in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales. I can’t just get on a bus tonight. I’ve got to go now. I’ll call you soon, in a couple of hours at most.”

“Okay darling, please take care byee!”

“By-by Nan. Tsch.”

As she closed her phone she turned to a now very tearful Molly Denton and took a long soft breath. It seemed that -as was often the case with Belinda-, humour would be the best stratagem.

“Well Lola! This is another FINE mess you’ve gotten us into.” She declared with a smile that was directed to nobody in particular.

The visual message was taken up by the Denton family who quickly seized the olive leaf that Belinda had inadvertently offered. Callie decided to act as the mediator-cum- family representative.

“Things were very different then Belinda. We can only apologise for the treatment your great grandmother received; we can’t be held responsible.”

“I’m not holding anybody responsible. As you say, nothing can be done about what’s gone before. Things were, indeed, different. I’m curious about one thing though.”

“Go-oon.” Callie intoned cautiously.”

“What set you to thinking about this stuff Molly?”

The question gave Molly a chance to be constructive and somehow re-affirm the family thread. She excused herself and went to her bedroom suite before returning with a parcel and a brown envelope. Carefully she opened the envelope and slid out a collection of old photographs. Before Belinda could pick one up, Molly gently restrained her arm and then started to unwrap the parcel.

“Look at this one first.” She begged Belinda as she placed the framed photograph it in the girl’s grasp.

Belinda looked at the photo and frowned with some confusion.

“I don’t remember ever having this taken!”

“It’s not you Belinda, it’s your great-grandmother Matilda. That was the picture she had taken for Tatler when she was eighteen. A year later she eloped with your great grandfather.”

Belinda stared stupidly at the picture.

“But; but she’s beautiful.”

“As are you Belinda. Now you can see why I was so agitated. Your likenesses are uncanny. It’s like having my aunty Matilda back in the room; back from the dead even.”

By now all the Denton family had gathered behind Belinda’s chair and were gazing at the picture.

“I’ve never seen these pictures before.” Ellie observed. “Why’ve you kept them hidden, I mean both Uncle Henry and Grampa Harry have been dead a couple of years or more?”

“I couldn’t bring myself to resurrect them. I loved my aunt and when I tried one afternoon to put that photo on my desk with all the other family pictures, it was like having a ghost accusing me or something. I had to put it back in the drawer with all those other family snaps. Mostly her and me, - and the horses-, she loved riding.”

“But you were totally innocent grandma.” Callie added. “It was your grandfather, my great – great grandfather who was the guilty one.”
“Happen so darling,” Molly replied by reverting to pure Yorkshire,” but somehow I felt the guilt, I ended up shouldering the guilt because nobody else would.”

Belinda intervened again as she handed the picture to Ellie for her closer inspection.

“Callie’s right Molly. It was never your fault. I’m asking you to return that picture back to your desk. I saw all the family pictures when Ellie took me on the tour. She belongs there and you would be doing me a good favour to know that my great-grandmother’s picture was back where it belonged. But before you do, Can I please have a copy.”

Molly nodded as another tear forced it’s way to her eye but Ellie intervened before Molly completely broke down.

“Even your ears are the same and your hair. Break out your high pony Belinda and clip your hair back over your left ear. Here’s a clip.”

“Wait a minute,” Molly intervened again. “I’ve got something even better! It’s the original hairclip in that photograph and it’s in my jewellery box. That’s a genuine sapphire cluster and it’s genuine family heirloom. I was leaving it to Callie in my will. She must leave it to her son Henry to ensure it stays in the family and is used by the girls in the family. I’m sure Belinda can have her picture taken with it. She’s family after all.”

All the Denton girls enthusiastically agreed and it was Belinda’s turn to shed a tear.

“Now, now great niece. This is a happy occasion. Callie; let’s go down to your computer room and make a copy on your printer.

Ellie, you go down to the main house museum and take the dress off the dummy standing by the officer in world-war-two uniform. Speak to the guard first or you’ll cause pandemonium with the alarms. It’s the same dress Matilda is wearing in the photo and had it put in the museum after Harry died.

I want a photo of this girl in exactly the same setting as the photo. Come on everybody, chop – chop!”

“Nan! It’s eight o’clock! The whole house is in lockdown for the night. Callie protested.”

“I don’t bloody care. It’s our house isn’t it? Un-bloody-lock it!”

Callie let out a sigh and checked with Belinda.

“Are you happy with all this love?”

Belinda smiled wanly and looked to Maggie for agreement. Maggie was technically the mistress of the house and managing director of the family owned company that ran and maintained Denton Hall. Callie was the chairperson. With the unanimous consent of the girls they each set off about their allotted tasks.

Callie took a camera from her computer room while Ellie and Maggie alerted the security guards and Molly collected the brooch from her jewellery box. They met a full twenty minutes later in the library where Matilda’s picture had been taken all those years ago in 1939, just before the war had started. Callie set up her camera while Maggie and Ellie fixed Belinda’s hair. Molly and one of the lady security guards carefully laid out the dress and shoes then helped Belinda to dress.
Within ten minutes, the photograph was taken and reproduced in Callie’s computer room. It was almost indistinguishable from the original. The lady security guard even asked for a copy and got it.

“My colleagues will never believe me without this as proof. Why don’t you put both these photos on that little table by the model in the museum?”

“What a brilliant idea!” Molly enthused. “Come on.”

Somewhat reluctantly Belinda disrobed and the dress was returned to the museum display. Molly even located the original Tatler magazine with the original picture and the two silver framed photos were placed on the table with the magazine placed ‘seemingly casually open’ at the page. Between the photos.

Molly smiled at the display and explained.

“There you are Belinda, your famous. Matilda’s disappearance was something of a small scandal during the war but the battle of Britain was in full swing at the time and nothing came of it.”

By midnight, Belinda and the family were finished in the museum and Belinda crept carefully into the huge super-king-sized bed that had been allotted to Lola’s recovery. Carefully, Belinda placed two more framed photocopies on the dressing table before sneaking into Lola’s bed without disturbing her.

ooo000ooo

In the morning Lola freaked out at first because she was terrified of a security leak concerning her, Olivia, Erica and Angela.

“What if the rape gang makes some sort of connection? Lola asked fearfully.

“How?” Molly demanded. “Nobody but we girls, knows that Belinda Harrington was descended from the twelfth Duke of Denton. Who’s going to make any connection through the female line?” Molly demanded then added. “There have been four distaff name changes through marriage since the twelfth duke. Who’s going to find out. Now that the family have found out about Belinda and the dangers to Lola’s life. None of us are likely to reveal any connections.”

“I hope you’re right,” Lola agreed cautiously. “Well we’re safe here for now. Callie’s shown me some of the security arrangements.”

“But not all,” Callie added. “I’ll show you some more stuff later, that will help enormously to keep you and your adoptive - sisters safe but I cannot reveal all my secrets. Do you understand?”

“Perfectly.” Belinda agreed as Lola nodded her head.

“I mean it!” Callie repeated. “You might think me paranoid about security but don’t forget, it was my work that enabled the police to keep tabs on Abdul and his sicko cronies when both British and American intelligence lost track of that bastard and his gang. He got back into Europe and Britain because the CIA and GCHQ took their eyes off the ball. The photos in the museum only say that the girls are related and look identical. I double checked that this morning when Belinda told me of your concerns.”

“Boy! Ain’t that the truth,” Lola remarked as she held Belinda’s copies from their dressing table. “Belinda’s Nan is going to love seeing these but she’ll not be getting copies I hope.”

“No. Only Belinda gets these, not even your nan Bab’s gets to keep any.

“Thankyou.” Lola replied with heartfelt relief.”

“What about the security guard who helped us last night?” Belinda asked.

“She knows the dangers, that lady was one of the team that had to fight off the attack on us when Abdul came calling. I spoke to her again this morning before she went off duty.”

“Well. Everything seems taken care of, what are we doing for the rest of the day?”

“Would you like a tour of the house. It’s closed to the public today so we’ll have the whole place to ourselves.” Callie offered.

“That would be fantastic!” Belinda enthused. Will the children be with us?”

“Oh yes. This way, they get to learn their family history while also finding their way around the house.”

“It’s huge!” Maggie added as they finished their breakfasts and the children started to get wound.

“What’s got them excited?” Belinda wondered aloud

“Well believe it or not.” Maggie explained. “These are the only occasions when the children can wander freely through every nook and cranny. Ordinarily if they step inside any of the guide ropes then visitors are wanting to follow. The next minute the curators are having hell’s delight trying to make people stick to the limits and also, things get damaged.

Kids see other kids seemingly walking where they like and the herd instinct takes over. Henry and Charlotte can’t be expected to walk around with big labels saying I am the Earl of Blakeford or the right honourable Lady Denton. They soon learned that caused them more trouble than it was worth.”

“How?” Belinda chuckled as Charlotte begged to hold her hand.

“They made badges for themselves but it just attracted too much attention and other kids accused them of being snobs and stuff. Charlotte didn’t understand, she was too young, but Henry soon got the message. Now he prays for Mondays just to run around like an ordinary kid in his own home.”

“Does he have friends around?”

“Oh yes. He attends the local village school and goes into the village to play with other kids usually on Saturdays and sometimes after school on summer days. They know who he is. He’s got a couple of regular friends who live between here and the village and are within easy walking distance. I often see them playing in the village or here on the estate. He knows where not to go so as not to disturb the pine martens and rare birds. Occasionally he’s had a gang of village kids swimming with him in the lake on a hot summers day. One of the village dads usually keeps an eye on them and they can use the two rowing boats.

When I think of it, he has quite an Idyllic life. - Stoppit Henry!”

As Belinda turned, Henry had commandeered a rug from somewhere and was sliding along the polished marble corridor.

“I was polishing the floor daddy.”

“I’ll polish your arse in a minute if you don’t behave.”

Belinda could not hide a smile as they joined up with Lola, Maggie, Molly and Ellie looking at some of the war records in an unlocked glass topped desk. As they approached the group she studied the crestfallen Henry and declared.

“Rich or poor, noble or common, boys can be little buggers anywhere can’t they.”

“Got it in one’, Callie agreed, “What’s my nan found now.”

Callie and Belinda joined the group as Henry tried to see what was so interesting. Molly turned as they arrived.

“Here you are Belinda, I think this might be your great-grandfather’s signature. Most of the officers who were billeted here, took the opportunity to sign the visitor’s book. This is the only Warburton we can find for the end of thirty-nine to summer nineteen forty. Captain Richard Vincent Warburton, Gloucester regiment. That must be him.”

Belinda had only to glance at the signature for she had seen it on several letters in her father’s papers.

“Yes. That’s it. That’s the earliest signature of his I’ve seen. Can I photograph it please? I don’t want to seem intrusive like a tourist.”

“Not at all Belinda. It’s family, your family – and ours. Go ahead.” Molly smiled.

ooo000ooo

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How Wonderful

joannebarbarella's picture

To have the original dress and hair clips to make a new photo almost identical to the original. A family history in a single frame.

You're family

Jamie Lee's picture

It makes all the difference in the world to learn she has family. Maybe now, after all the pigs have been skinned, life can get back to some type of normalicy.

Others have feelings too.

This particular offshoot

Seems to breed like rabbits. They have strong genes too.