Project: Night Bird Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

Chief Jordan watches as Night Bird comes in and lands. The railgun was still lowered and there were shiny spots on the skin of the aircraft. He watches as the cockpit opens and Katey and Jessica climbs down.

“What did you two do to Night Bird?” He walks over to get a closer look at it.

“Nothing, the Euro copter that we fought against hitting us with some sort of weapon that knocked our lasers out, sent sparks inside the cockpit and along the surface of Night Bird. It also knocked out the turret function of the railgun.” Katey was kneeling and examining the railgun turret module tucked up inside Night Bird.

She notices some sort of goo leaking from the module. She locates the harness that plugged into the module “Jessica, pull the fusion cells, so
I can disconnect the wiring harness.”

“I got it, Jessica.” Chief Jordan pulls the power cells that power Night Bird.

“Go ahead and pull the harness, Katey.” Jessica gets the emergency tool kit out for Katey.

Katey disconnects the harness from the module. She uses her finger to determine the size of the screws holding the module inside.

“Jessica, I’ll need a six mm socket.” Katey holds her hand out.

Jessica looks for the socket in the tool kit and hands it to her. She places it and the rachet into Katey’s hand.

“Thanks.” Katey takes the socket and unfastens the small bolts holding the module in.

Katey manages to unbolt the module and pull it out. There was goo leaking out of the module seams.

“What would cause this goo to leak out of the module?” Katey was looking at the module.

“The electronics inside would have to have heated up to extreme temperature.” Chief Jordan was looking at the module.

“What weapon could have caused that much damage?” Jessica was curious.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out.” Chief Jordan takes the module.

“Let us know what you find out, Chief.” Katey was curious and wanted to know what took the Night Bird out.

“I will.” Chief Jordan just looks at the module and wonder what could have caused it to heat up like that.

Katey and Jessica catch a ride back to the building where the meeting had been.

Conference Room:
Cora was listening to everyone as they talked among themselves. There was more information that she revealed to them about another attack that might take place. Something had been bothering her about the conversation among the two men that had been looking for her.

Major Kingston had sent an assault team to the house Cora had gone too. They raided the place, but it was mostly empty. They did find some evidence to support Cora's theory that another attack was going to take place.

Lucy was given access to a manifest of weapons from different suppliers and countries. She was going through them to locate the specialized weapons she installed. After what seemed like an hour or more, Katey and Jessica come walking into the conference room. They were still wearing their flight suits.

“How did things go?” Marshal Quin and Marshal McShane look towards Katey and Jessica.

“They got away with the armored truck. They used the Super Stallion to lift the armored car and carried it away.”

“Couldn’t you have stopped them?” Marshal Quin looked a little upset.

“We were busy defending ourselves from the Eurocopter. Its equipped with some sort of weapon that knocked out our lasers, missiles and caused our railgun to lock in the forward position.” Katey still wanted to know what they used on Night Bird to cause that.

“What happened?” Everyone in the room wanted to know.

“When we arrived, the SUV’s that had the extra US Marshals were locked inside their vehicles. We were going to fire at the Super Stallion when the Eurocopter engaged us. While we were occupied, the Super Stallion managed to get away.” Katey wonders how they could lose something so big.

Lucy looks up from the tablet she was looking at “you said that you lost control of your lasers, and your railgun was locked in the forward position?”

“Don’t forget the missiles we launched at them, Katey.” Jessica looks towards Katey.

“Yes, they managed to knock our missiles out of the air, without firing at them or using countermeasures.” Katey was still puzzled by that.

“That sounds like a microwave-based weapon. DARPA has developed several of them that can take missiles down and fry the electronics of an aircraft or vehicle. Even ones that are shielded against EMP.” Lucy remembered reading an article about the new generation of weapons Darpa was developing.

“So, you think we got hit by some sort of microwave-based weapon?” Jessica looks at Lucy with a skeptical look on her face.

“Yes, it makes sense. The only way I can be sure is if I can look at the damage done to your aircraft.” Lucy could tell if what she suspected was true.

“You’ll have to get permission from Samantha Blake. She’s the chief engineer and the only one besides her mother who can authorize people to play with their toys.” Katey was sure they were the only ones.

“They aren’t the only ones. I can give permission as well.” Mr. Webber looks towards both women.

Katey was surprised, but then again, he is the person in charge of the base.

“Mrs. Winters, escort Mrs. Wright down to Night Bird’s hangar.”

“Yes, sir.” Sarah has been quieted the whole time.

“Thank you, Mr. Webber.” Lucy stands up to follow Sarah.

“Don’t thank me yet, Mrs. Wright.” An evil smile appears on Mr. Webber's face.

“Okay.” Lucy gets up and walks over to Sarah.

The two of them head out of the conference room. Once they have left, Cora looks at everyone.

“If you guys don’t mind, I’m going to go and get some rest.” Cora gets up to leave.

“Mrs. Black, we have quarters here you can rest in. Katey and Jessica can show you where it is.” Mr. Webber had arranged for Mrs. Black to stay on base.

“Thank you, Mr. Webber.” Cora walks out of the conference room.

Katey and Jessica follow behind, Cora. Katey was ready to get out of her flight suit.

“Tired, Cora?” Katey knew her friend.

“Yes, I need some meditation time to replenish my energies.” Cora covers up a yawn.

“I know what you mean.” Katey was feeling a little drained.

Jessica grabs Katey’s hand “but I can recharge you.” She squeezes Katey’s hand.

A smirk appears on Cora’s face. She wonders how long it took Katey to seduce Jessica. She can’t blame Katey if she did. Jessica looked to have a nice figure.

“Here are your quarters. If you need anything, let me know.”

“Okay, thanks.” Cora enters her quarters.

“Come on sweetie, let's go and enjoy each other.” Katey kisses Jessica on the lips.

The two of them stumble towards their quarters.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmm stolen

Samantha Heart's picture

Military prototype made fully functioning? Or someone from DARPA is feeding them the technology one.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Sounds like...

the bad guys got a MASER or two. Bad news!

Jorey
.

A beddy bye story.

WillowD's picture

What a nice chapter to read right before stumbling off to bed. Thanks.

Bad news dudes?

Jamie Lee's picture

If Lucy is right and it is a microwave weapon, how will they shield Night Bird before their next encounter?

Others have feelings too.