The Long Dusty Road

Printer-friendly version

Hiking-In-Prilep-11-20140718-www.for91days.com-DSC01604.jpg

The Long Dusty Road
By Julie D Cole

It was the end of March and days were getting brighter and the temperatures were ideal for walking. I’d headed to the Lake District and set out for a long hike over the hills. I was following a track that I knew was heading in the direction I needed to be to reach my destination. I’d almost followed it the previous summer but it was dangerous since we’d had long dry spells and there were all sorts of fire warnings. I remember it looked like a long dusty road to nowhere but it intrigued me,

I’d been going for three hours now, or possibly longer, since I’d blacked out. My watch was broken since I’d slipped and fallen on some moss coated rocks whilst trying to look for landmarks. My feet were tired and my ankle was so sore from the fall that I’d needed a broken branch to use as a crutch to take my weight. Now I was lost and all alone on this hike that had started early in beautiful dawn sunlight and now it was getting dark.

I could hardly see my map and I’d lost power on my mobile phone as well as my torchlight and compass. I’d sat on my glasses so the map was useless anyway even using the one lens that survived my bodyweight. I tried to use the binoculars I wore around my neck for bird watching but my arms weren’t long enough. So I couldn’t find the path in front of me to know which direction to take. It was cloudy so no sun or moon to identify north or south and I was relying on my instincts to choose the route to the pub where I was staying overnight.

I tried putting the map on the floor and standing on a rock to use the binoculars but it was already too dark and even when I lit a match it didn’t help. There were no lights from any farmhouses or villages where I might head and I knew that even fully fit I was at least an hour from my destination.

I wanted to remove my walking boot to ease the pain but feared I’d never get it back on again. I had some strapping in my rucksack to wrap around my ankle and boot to hold it in position so that it at least took my weight. .

This road was supposed to be popular with hikers but I hadn’t seen anybody for at least two hours. This walk should have been easy for me and I had everything I needed when I set off including fresh underwear for the following day. According to locals the path was supposed to be well signposted but I’d not seen any. Maybe I took the wrong turning way back, I was booked into a wonderful country inn for the night where I should have been settling down for dinner by now. Why was I so lost? I was all alone and completely out of my comfort zone.

It was getting darker by the minute no thanks to the heavy low cloud and I wished it would disappear so that I could the stars and find the North Star and a bright full moon. Typical for the Lakes and England in spring. At least there was no overnight frost or snow that can happen this time of year.

I settled against a rock and contemplated lighting a fire but I was aware we’d had a problem with moor fires the previous summer that lasted until autumn. A fire would have been useful try again to look at my map. As much as it pained me I decided that the best thing would be to get as comfortable as I could and raise my foot resting it on my back pack. I ate the rest of my energy snacks that remained in the side pocket and took a swig of water from my bottle. My weatherproof cape would keep out any chill and with luck it would be light again by 6am and I’d feel refreshed enough to make sense of my location.

……………………………………………………………………………………

I managed to drift off to sleep until some hours later I was awakened by a movement in the shrubs below me and as my eyes came into focus I could make out a figure. Maybe they had been there a while and I could see them now because it was getting light and the clouds were breaking. It was a woman staring at me with fear in her eyes.

She seemed some years younger than me and she was distressed, She wasn’t exactly dressed for hiking or to be walking about anywhere outside at this time of night or early morning. She had silky blonde hair down to her bare shoulders and beautiful ample breasts that were on display. She stood up after a minute or two holding her skirts down as a gust of wind blew that made her shudder. She was quite tall and I guessed she’d be about the same height as me. She was wearing open sandals as if it was the height of summer.

I tried not to scare her. I just pointed to my ankle and beckoned her towards me. After a while she built up the courage to come forward to speak rather than run away. It took all my skills of persuasion fixing my eyes on hers. It took me back to my days in dance halls and nightclubs when I used to survey the field and pick a target. Usually they were beyond my reach but the practice came in handy as I gained confidence around women. I went from zero to about a seven in success but relationships never lasted. I liked beautiful women of any age but I wasn’t sure what attracted me so much.

I tried to stand but in the end I had to sit down again since my ankle ached and it was painful if I put my weight on it. She came right over me and as scared as she seemed to be she took my arm and helped me to stand and take my weight on the branch that I’d used as a crutch.

She didn’t speak she just looked into my eyes. Hers were magnetic and I sensed the pain deep inside.

‘Are you ok? I sense you are lost. What on earth are you doing up here so early in the morning with no warm clothes or a coat. You look perished. You’ll catch your death.’

She spoke softly in reply. ‘I don’t care I’ve decided I’ve had enough.’

‘Surely not, Such a beautiful woman as you with only half your life gone.’

‘I had 2 or 3 lifetimes already and I’ve had enough of trecking this long dusty road.’

‘But it’s not dusty just a bit muddy here and there and difficult in places but not impossible to walk.’

‘I don’t know where it leads it goes on forever and each time I come here I give up and turn back. Today I want to go to the top of that hill where there is a sharp drop. I want to step into space and feel the wind as I float. There is nothing here for me anymore I don’t fit in this world.’

‘Please wait and don’t do anything stupid. Why not talk to me and see if I can help.’

‘No you can’t. Nobody can help me I’ve made my decision and that’s it.’

‘What about your family and those you love and those who love you? They’ll be upset.’

‘My family rejected me years ago. I’ve no patience with them anymore. I don’t fit this world or their lifestyle.’

‘Surely you are exaggerating and misjudging them. Families always stick together based on my experience.’

‘Not mine since they are ashamed of me..

‘Why have you murdered somebody or robbed a bank or something? Are you pregnant or have you murdered somebody?’

‘No none of those. Anyway I could never be pregnant. It’s never going to happen.’

‘Don’t say that. A beautiful woman like you. You are still young enough.’

‘Fat chance. I’ve never ever felt like I fit into this world and from an early age I used to feel like I was looking through the window. Outside looking in.’

‘I was like that growing up. Life was tough in my day and I’m quite a lot older than you so I do know a bit about struggles.’

‘Nothing like mine.’

‘I can’t judge but you seem so nice. Here take my wrap to get warm and hold my hands. You’re freezing. I have some spare socks in my bag if you want to put them on. Your toes are almost blue.’

‘OK thanks. Just for a while whilst I help you get to where you need to go and then I will leave you.’

‘That’s kind of you just get warm and take my jacket for a while. I will survive and you need it more than me.’

‘Thanks but only because you need help.’

‘Yes I guess I do. Stupid of me to walk this road alone but I read a story and it intrigued me. I wanted to follow it to see where it led and learn about the writer.’

‘I wrote a story/poem like that. It is a road to nowhere.’

‘Maybe you just took the wrong turnings so far but that’s life. Sometimes you meet someone at a crossroads or a junction and things look better.’

‘In my dreams. It’s OK for you since you look fit and strong and you’ve lived a life.’

‘Yes I’m OK but right now I can hardly walk and I’d had to stop and wait for the sun to come up rather than stumble on and trip and fall. It’s just a matter of stopping and taking a breath.’

‘What do you do for a living?’

‘Nothing much. I write stories now. I worked for a lot of years from an early age. What do you do?’

‘I do all sorts. My preference is artistic work but I’m a big fan of music and films.’
‘I never had time. Pity really. I envy you your talents. I was just average at anything I tried.’

‘So I have to go. Here please take tour things back.’

‘Keep them please. I can wait here until some other walkers pass by. I’m sure they’ll have a phone.’

‘Even if they have one they won’t get a signal up here.’

‘Bugger. Never mind I’ll find a way.’

‘Here please take your things back you might be here for ages yet.’

‘What about you?’

‘I can make it now to the top of that hill. I’ll soon be free of the pain of this world.’

‘OK. If you feel you have no choice.’

‘What do you mean. I told you some of the reasons why I’ve had enough.’

‘Yes you did. I’m a good listener if you want to share more.’

‘No. Well OK I can just tell you that my problems started as far back as I can remember. I felt different.’

‘Yes so did I.’

‘But it was weird because I didn’t feel like I fitted in.’

‘I guess I didn’t either.’

‘But you seem different to the people I’ve met in my life.’

‘We all are. It’s a strange world we live in.’

‘Look I need to go. I set myself a target and I’m going to miss it.’

‘So I’m boring you am I?’

‘No not at all. I’m interested to hear your stories and what you write about.’

‘Well you tell me something about you and your interests and I’ll tell you things too.’

‘What about your foot?’

‘I forgot about it since we started chatting. You are such an interesting person..

‘Look some people coming. Maybe they can help. At least they can send the Rangers back to carry you or bring a small utility vehicle or something.’

‘Yes that might be a good idea. Better than limping on this crutch.’

‘Look I’m going to be worrying about you now. Are you going to be OK?’

‘Probably.’

‘Look OK I’ll come with you. But not to the hospital.’

‘Why not?’

‘I’ve had enough of hospitals in my lifetime.’

‘Why?

‘I had all sorts of accidents in my life. I’m lucky to be alive.’

‘Yes you are. We all are.’

‘I didn’t mean that.’

‘Oh slip of the tongue was it.’

‘Yes I’ve almost been drowned and almost killed in several accidents. Then I had my operation. Then I had health problems.’

‘Any good things happen along the way?’

‘No. But I did meet one or two special people who I like a lot. We always helped each other.’

‘Yes you do seem that sort of a person. Now I need your help and you stopped.Lucky me.’

‘Yes but you’ll be like all the rest and you’ll run a mile when you know the truth.’

‘How can I run anywhere like this? You are stuck with me. For a while anyway.’

‘I don’t form relationships or have friends. I don’t have much patience with people.’

‘Well our paths have crossed so maybe things will change.’

‘Why who are you?’

‘Nobody. I was just following this road minding my own business and I slipped and fell.’

‘Are you sure that you are nobody?’

‘Well maybe somebody sent me to stop you doing something stupid.’

‘Who would do that? I’m not special.’

‘You must be special to somebody.’

‘But I did a terrible thing and I’m being punished.’

‘What terrible thing did you do?’

‘I decided I could no longer live in the body assigned to me.’

‘Mine has changed too. I’m a lot older and I prefer to go back to the one I had when I was young. Do you want to go back to the one you had?’

‘No way this is me. I don’t regret a day.’

‘Well why are you going up there to end it all?’

‘I’m not. I think I’ve changed my mind. I need to find out more about you and why you suddenly appeared in my life.’

‘How long have we got before these people arrange a rescue.’

‘What people?’

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

love the metaphor

Snarfles's picture

We are each on our own, 'long dusty road', and I am glad to have found crossroads when new people come into my life, mostly I am humbled when that crossroad becomes a merger... and heartbroken when it finally becomes an exit ramp....

After all, no one gets out alive.......

No one gets out alive

Thanks for your comment on my story. It was based on fact not fiction.

Jules

Half a story?

BarbieLee's picture

I either just read a Chinese fortune cookie or read half a story. I know there are people who give sage advice in a couple words. There are also people who understand all that they need to know after hearing those few words. I am neither. No sage advice, no comic understanding when I receive such wisdom.
Thus this tale was truly interesting but failed to fill the mission of satisfying my appetite for completion. It may be only me thus don't take it to heart as a non compliment about the story. The script, dialog, setting was good. I feel I got to smell the lemon meringue pie but didn't get to taste it.
hugs Julie
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It is a story of paths crossing

‘I’m not. I think I’ve changed my mind. I need to find out more about you and why you suddenly appeared in my life.’

‘How long have we got before these people arrange a rescue.’

‘What people?’

This story is about two people and a chance meeting. One was injured and the other about to do something stupid. One was lonely and felt like an outcast and the other had lived a comfortable life. This is based on a true life situation and is not fiction. So no ending yet and no need to rely on people coming up the hill. Neither wants the connection to be broken and they preferred to put their trust in each other.

Jules

Nice

Robertlouis's picture

I write and perform my own songs for a living and I’d almost composed a tune for your story by the time it ended. I loved the almost supernatural edge and I’m very familiar with the kind of paths you describe both in the Lake District and where I live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. Lovely.

☠️

Hi Robertlouis

Please write your song. You picked up this story perfectly.
Great countryside where you live and in the Lake District.
Thanks for your comments

Jules

Thanks

Robertlouis's picture

I’ve always got a notepad and a few pens in my backpack. You never know when inspiration will strike. I wonder if OUR paths might have crossed!

I live in York and my walking haunts are in Swaledale, Wensleydale, the wilder end of Coverdale and the North York Moors above Whitby.

☠️

The right side of the Road

Hi,
Yes as Van Morrison sings I live on the right side of this dusty road. Not that far South of you and York is a favourite destination. Our paths may well have crossed. Yorkshire is full of different beautiful landscapes and the Lake District is another favourite destination. I'd be there now but for the restrictions. Any songs you would like to share with us?

Jules

Nice

Robertlouis's picture

I write and perform my own songs for a living and I’d almost composed a tune for your story by the time it ended. I loved the almost supernatural edge and I’m very familiar with the kind of paths you describe both in the Lake District and where I live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. Lovely.

☠️

Ah, GREAT! A...

Mantori's picture

... Julie Cole short story!

This is such a nice surprise, thank you for writing it. I think you should do this more often.

Love the subject matter. It feels so authentic. The meeting and connection of souls in times when one has the dire need.

Beautifully written like all your other work.
Looking forward to more like this.

Thank you for sharing.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Long dusty road

A very nice piece of work. A chance meeting of two people who need help and find it. What the future brings is a good question, since you say it's based on real life you know at least one way it worked and we can hope for the best.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Long Dusty Road Update

Hi. What I can tell you is that the writer made it to hospital and is walking again. Through daily contact and sharing life experiences the suicide was averted and the road looks as if it leads somewhere. There seems to be sunshine and blue sky over the hill. A few more miles to get there yet but the road is less rocky.

Jules

I have to admit

this story left me a bit confused.

Sorry Wendy

I deliberately did that. I left it to individual opinion how the story might end and if it was real or not.
The reality was that an accident resulted in two paths crossing. A casual and fluke meeting on a lonely path resulting in communication and bonding. One person was about to do something stupid but the fact that the other listened and cared even though they were hurt caused a reflection. Hopefully a change of mind and a focus of helping another instead of doing what they'd set out to do.
I tried to do it as a solo.

Jules

Meeting on the hills.,

Lucy Perkins's picture

A really really powerful story Julie, I notice that you say it is based on fact, and so I really do hope that the protagonists found shelter. The hopeless romantic in me hopes that their shelter was each other but I guess that is too much to ask of reality.

You have managed to evoke the wild and empty feeling that the Lakes can be like, as long as you avoid the tourist routes. About a decade ago we climbed Sca Fell Pike from Borrowdale and didn't see another person all day, and it was a very very different place from the usual one, in fact very much like your long and dusty road.

My one regret with this story is that we were due to be there a fortnight ago. Mid March in Cumbria, before the holidays start, is perfect.

Thank you for evoking it so well.

Love Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Thanks Lucy

Such nice comments. The location was changed but the interaction was factual. Lives can change quickly if we stop and listen.
The Lake District is a beautiful part of England with remote parts and wonderful views. I too like to visit in Spring and also in Autumn. It's easy to get away from the crowds as you highlight.
Stay safe.

Jules