Castle The Series - 0112 Council, Iola, Llyllabette

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00240010

DRINKING BRANDY AND GOSSIPING

COUNCIL MEETING LUVAL

1st of Luval day 240

All of the Councillors had heard of the changes occurring in the kitchens and many wished to discuss the matter, but Milligan was reticent and merely said, “Things have appeart to be improving before, yet it turnt out to be a temporary state of affairs, so let us wait on events.”

Woodpecker, the Mistress commodity, asked, “Is it true, Milligan, you have appointet an incomer of threeteen as a Mistress cook?”

Milligan looked inscrutable as he replied, “It is not. I have appointet a girl who is now Folk and is ten, some lunes short of eleven, as a Mistress cook, and I should be grateful for another dozen cooks of her knowledge, competence and abilities of any age.”

There was a long silence before Rowan added, “Iola is a remarkable young woman, who is highly regardet by all cooks of significance and even more highly regardet by her crafters, many of who require considerable guidance. I regard her highly, and I suggest we do as Milligan askt and wait on events.” There was more conversation concerning the kitchens, but neither Milligan nor Rowan could be drawn into saying more.

Gosellyn telt the Council there was currently some discussion mongst the healers as to how young they should inoculate gainst the fevers since inoculation carried its own risks. “We are currently inoculating babes no younger than a year old. It is propoest to finish the Folk and then we shall inoculate all over ten lunes who have not already been inoculaten. After that it is possible we have some difficult choices to make. I am saying this now so it will not come as a complete surprise later.”

None had aught to say concerning the inoculations for the healers had the situation under control. After Gareth looked berount to see if any else had aught to say Ermine, the Master spinner and weaver asked, “What more do we know concerning the Turners?”

Thomas looked to Campion and nodded she was to respond. “Little more if anything. I’ve been telt there are a considerable number of options they wish to explore and they refuse to be hurryt. They have the situation in the palm of their hands and they know it, so all we can do is await their deliberations. They are not being deliberately difficult, but mind their lifes are in the balance and the flaught(1) are already becoming more difficult with them, which is sooner than we envisagt. If the flaught do not become more reasonable betimes some are going to die and in doing so make the problem much worse rapidly. Swegn is keeping me informt as to events, and is negotiating with several holdings prepaert to receive a dozen or more changt children considert to be vulnerable. I expect to be telt more of that within half a tenner. That is all we know at the moment.”

After Campion’s statement there was little else to discuss, the weather was still bitterly cold, the newfolk had settled in and as was normal, Yew being a good host, they drank brandy and gossiped, also as was usual mostly of births, deadths and marriages, though many would have preferred to discuss matters in the kitchens which were the subject of much rumour and gossip.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00241010

POSSIBLY A COOK?

I’LL HAVE SPAECH WITH GIBB

2nd of Luval Day 241

Bruana had enjoyed her pregnancy and the time spent with her daughters. Kirsty had spaech with her mum of Glen. She was embarrassed to admit she really liekt him and was a little envious of Shirley when she was holding hands with Wormwood.

“Will you to be heartfriends, Love?”

“Yes, but I don’t know how to tell him, and I can’t just ask him, Mum. I just can’t. I’m not like Shirley.” Kirsty was obviously upset by her lack of confidence. “Shirley sayt he would like us to be heartfriends, but he’s aflait of me saying no. He’s very nice. He’s not like Wormwood at all, and I’m bothert Shirley is going to do something that will embarrass him and me too.”

Bruana now was almost as familiar with Glen and Wormwood as her daughters. Wormwood was ready to try aught, and she considered him a perfect match for Shirley who shared his outgoing nature even if she be a lot cleverer than he. Glen was quiet and introspective and far more mature than Shirley or Wormwood, and Bruana thought Glen and Kirsty would either make each other very happy or equally miserable. “I’ll tell Shirley not to embarrass either of you. You don’t have to say aught to him, Love. You’ll be holding hands when dancing. Just don’t let go when you go for some juice. You’ll know immediately whether he wishes to hold hands or not, and neither of you will be embarrasst that way. You either carry on holding hands or you let go before any can know.”

The next time Bruana saw Glen he was holding Kirsty’s hand, and both looked happier than she had seen them for some time.

As Noah had suspected, the girls wished to watch the birth of their sibling and were looking forward to it, and Bruana was delighted by their rapid adjustment to Folk customs. Bruana was eight lunes pregnant and not at all big, but naytheless looking forward to regaining her previous mobility, and nursing her babe. She had spent a lot of time having spaech with many folk with a view to finding a new craft. For some time it had seemed that a placement as a senior crafter with the chamberers would be her best choice, and she was aware Basil would be pleased if she joined his office. Initially she had not even considered the kitchens because of their reputation. That Milligan and his managers did their utmost she knew. Too, that there were good crafters in the kitchens she knew. She also knew how hard they had to work in order for the kitchens to function at all. In spite of it being contrary to the Way to force any to do aught, the Way also decreed what was necessary for the weäl of the Folk as a whole must take precedence, and it had long been a matter of surprise to her the Council, possibly led by Aaron, had not forced some order on the kitchen crafters, a number of whose behaviour was known by all to be unacceptable, before some of the Folk taekt the matter into their own hands as an act of beneficence, for the Way did not equate killing with murder.

~o~O~o~

None was aware that Aaron had many times considered discussing the matter with Milligan, Yew, and Rowan, and as oft had held back because things had beseemt him to be becoming better. However, the improvements had always become overwhelmed by ill chance making the managers and their significant crafters work as hard as before just to slow the descent of the kitchens into life threatening chaos. Despite the effect Morris had had on the butchers, Aaron had, just before the new year, reluctantly come to the conclusion he was going to have to make it clear to may hap as many as twenty kitchen crafters they were acting contrary to the Way, which was risking the lifes of the entire Folk, and if they did not cease forthwith they would have to be adjudgt and it was possible the worst offenders could be given to Castle to deal with. It was not a thought with which he was happy, and he was grateful he now had Nigel to discuss the matter with before it became an official Council matter.

Being married to Dabchick meant Nigel was informed daily as to what went on in the kitchens, and, before the new year was half a tenner old, Iola’s crafters’ happy tales of processing vegetables with pieces of fuel wood were known to him. That the kitchens were becoming happier places to craft for many was becoming as known to the Folk as was the improvement in the variety and the quality of the soup. Yet again Aaron held back. The menus of the day were written on the menu boards by the kitcheners,(2) and it had not been long before the Folk realised aught with an unfamiliar name probably had some connection with Iola and though not always exotic it was always tasty. It was widely known, the tales were oft repeated in the White Swan, some of the more troublesome crafters who had attempted to make life difficult for Iola in front of large numbers of kitchen crafters had been humiliated and silenced by her calm but authoritative responses, which gave Aaron hope that things were indeed becoming better. His and Nigel’s discreet enquiries had revealed all the humiliated crafters had since become far less troublesome and had been telt to stay that way by some of the firekeepers.

Eventually all except Iola knew some of the firekeepers had threatened a few crafters who had been particularly difficult with her, and all suspected Milligan and his managers knew of it too but were deliberately looking the other way. Aaron had noticed that Milligan, his managers and crafters of significance were crafting even more hours than they had before the recent events, but they were looking less tired than of yore and were smilingly tight-lipped. Iola’s parents and grandparents were known to be aware of events and it was known they opined Iola was more than able to meet her obligations. Judith had said, “My daughter is a clever and hard working crafter, and should things become unpleasant her father, her brother and her intendet have the right to intervene on her behalf, but the firekeepers have telt them they’ll deal with any such incident on their behalfs immediately, for they said she is close kith due to her kindth, if I’ve got that word right?”

~o~O~o~

The two meat preparers dismissed by Morris still were without a craft and Nigel had suggested to Aaron that something was only done regards that when their dependants were at risk of hardship. “Those two acted contrary to the Way, thus jeopardising the Folk, for years. I suggest the fear of what they have brought upon themselfs should be allowed to work for as long as possible without making the innocent suffer in order to minimise any possibility of recidivism. They were very close to being left to Castle to reclaim, and when the matter of a craft for them is finally resolved I suggest they should be maekt aware of that. In the meanwhile the situation they are in must be having a beneficial effect on some of the other troublemakers.”

Aaron, who was pleased that Nigel had not only extended his understanding of the Way so much but was now so aware of the day to day events of the Folk, nodded and said, “I agree, but I do wonder what they are capable of doing as a new craft, Nigel.”

“Dabchick suspects that as long as they are prepared to coöperate fully with Morris and Ivana he would be prepared to take them back. Morris is a tough but not unreasonable man who was expected to bring order to his office. He has done so and has no reason to be vindictive even were it to be in his nature. I suggest you have a quiet word with Milligan.”

“I’ll do that.”

~o~O~o~

Nigel had by now been completely accepted by the Folk in the same way that Aaron was. Had he joined any other craft it would have taken the Folk much longer to accept him due to his reticent nature, but it was considered normal, mandatory even, for those of powers beyond the normal to be different and self contained, and his acceptance meant all were prepared to have spaech with him of issues they would previously only have discussed with Aaron. His marriage to Dabchick was the subject of much curiosity, but, despite her outgoing nature, Dabchick was as closed mouthed as she had been concerning her agreement with Razorshell, and that just added to the respect Nigel was held in. Dabchick’s severe forsickth generated considerable empathy towards the couple and many women had spaech with a clearly distressed Nigel all saying words to the effect of, “It only lasts to the third, or fourth lune at most, Nigel. Things do become better.” That the Folk now had two advisors of Aaron’s stature was regarded as one of the better consequences of the incursion.

~o~O~o~

A number of folk had suggested to Bruana that she could do worse than try the kitchens for a new craft. She had finally maekt her mind up to make enquiries, but before she had done so, Campion had sought her out. Campion explained she had heard of Bruana’s desire for a new craft at the Keep, and said, “Your ability to supervise crafters would be much appreciatet by Milligan and his significant crafters, and things in the kitchens are truly much better than of yore, and I believe will become more so. I suggest you at least have spaech with them, Bruana, because I bethink me you would enjoy crafting in the kitchens more than with the chamberers, and the kitchens need you. Would you like me to let Gibb know you will be seeking a new craft after your babe is birtht, and ask him to consider options as to how best your skills could be uest?”

Bruana pondered Campion’s offer a while before replying. “That would be kind of you. Gratitude, Campion.”

When Bruana went home she telt Noah, “The kitchens are said to be a much better place to craft than they uest to be, and they are desperate for crafters, especially organiest crafters with supervisory skills. Campion sought me to have spaech with earlier. She sayt that she would have spaech with Gibb on my behalf.”

“Are you happy with that, Bruana?” Noah asked.

“Yes, and if naught comes of it I still have the option of the chamberers, but I shall have spaech with the kitchens first.”

~o~O~o~

It was Milligan, not Gibb, who had spaech with Bruana. “We should be delightet to have you crafting with us, Bruana. Campion telt me of your desire for a new craft. Though Gibb normally manages such things, I telt him I would rather have spaech with you myself. He was pleast you were considering us and sayt he has a placement for you which will be to the mutual advantage of all. I suggest you seek him out after your babe is birtht and you are ready to craft. We shall look forward to it.”

“Gratitude, Milligan. I look forward to it too, almost as much as being able to dance with Noah again.”

The pair laught and parted both looking forward to the future, though Bruana was still bothered by what she considered would be a serious drop in her remuneration.

~o~O~o~

The day after Aaron and Nigel had discussed the dismissed meat preparers, Aaron had spaech with Milligan. He subsequently telt Nigel, “Dabchick was right. Morris has sayt he will take them back if after a lune they have no craft as long as they accept they have to do as telt by Ivana as well as himself.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00242010

INCREASED INFLUENCE

NOT DIPLOMACY

3rd of Luval day 242

At the meeting of Milligan and his managers, Milligan said, “I have had spaech with Bruana and she is looking forward to joining us. Needless to say I regard her as an asset to the kitchens and am grateful she eventually decidet to join us and not the chamberers.” There was heartfelt agreement with Milligan’s sentiments. Milligan continued, “Regards the soup kitchens, Iola’s natural consideration for others, I refuse to call it diplomacy because there is absolutely no trace of awaerth on her part of what she is doing, is making her friends and gaining her influence in all quarters. That she is also widening our menus with new receipts, not just in her office, but is willing to share her knowledge and ideas for others to explore and benefit from, is giving her the status of someone thrice her age. I suspect it will not be too many years before she joins us as a manager.”

His managers all agreed with him, though Polecat remarked, “If she advances on the basis of achievement, Milligan, she will be with us a lot sooner than that.”

“You are probably right, Polecat.” Milligan chuckled before continuing, “It finally occurt to me two days since why she has been able to make such a difference. I telt her the traditional historic limits of authority of her office. Many of which, though all folkbirtht are aware of them, none has exerciest possibly for a hundred years. As newfolk, Iola of course doesn’t know that. I telt her what she was expectet to do and what her traditional authority to do it with was. She is doing it by exercising her authority to the full and making all accept her right to so do. She has no adult sense of compromise, or may hap she just doesn’t care, any hap she knows what she is expectet to do, and she does it. As a result of her treatment of her crafters, they all like her and approve of her to the point where they are working extra hours purely to help her. That makes her secure, as does Adela’s approval and willingth to support her. Her support from the firekeepers, who say they feel more respectet by her than by any else, is making things a lot better for all of us in the kitchens.”

Milligan looked berount the table and his managers knowing what he was referring to smiled, but none said aught so he continued. “She crafts at least sixteen hours a day, oft twenty, to produce much appreciatet food which means dissenters rapidly are in an untenable position because, not only do they craft less than half the hours she does, they are seen to be behaving in a way that is counter to the weäl of the Folk. Any who prove to be in her way she ignores if she can, or asks them to explain their unwillingth to comply with what all are aware are her office’s rights to Gibb or myself. She has on more than one occasion askt dissenters if they would prefer her to take the matter to Thomas or wait till next Quarterday and allow the Folk to make adjudgement. Thus far she has facet them all down without having to invoke disciplinary procedures, but all in the kitchens are aware that she will invoke them without a qualm, so I doubt any will readily confront her now. No adult, nor folkbirtht child would have been able to do it. Whilst open to reason and prepaert to negotiate, she does not accept any other than Gibb, myself, Thomas, the Council and the Folk on Quarterday have authority over her simply because I telt her so. It is worth mentioning she has never had any problems with any of our staff of significance with all of whom she has mutually good relationships. As a result she is re-establishing the lines of authority, and difficult crafters are complying with what is requiert of them in order to remain inconspicuous…and safe.”

Again Milligan looked berount the table, and again none said aught, so again he resumed. “And lest any consider the firekeepers are not capable of subtlety, that mouth numbing new soup I’m telt she createt to use long over freezen offal, slaters and the like with shredd whiteleaf(3) has finally been naemt Firekeepers’ Fighting Fury, which has I believe caust a considerable amount of upset mongst the malcontents.” The smiles on his managers’ faces indicated they already knew of the soup, but still it was amusing. “What I find so entertaining is that she was requestet to so name it by Ilsa after all the kitchen firekeepers had discussed the matter, and she has no idea of the name’s significance thinking it just refers to the heatth. Of course, Morris telling Glæt and Braum to leave because they wouldn’t do as Ivana telt them, has helpt enormously. Morris has telt me, if they have findt no craft after a lune, he’ll take them back, providet they agree to accept his authority without question, which means they have to agree to do willingly what Ivana tells them. Since Gibb is now being askt for apprenticeships and placements for youngsters who will know naught other than the improven situation we no longer have to accept what should be unacceptable for fear of losing crafters. As Morris sayt, ‘We’re better off without the problems they cause, Milligan.’ Manchette and Gellica are thriving with Iola and she telt me more will be well come.”

Gibb said in a voice devoid of expression, “I intend to start all new apprentices and assistants within my office so I can keep a close watch on our new crafters. Since the only cooking I am responsible for is doen by Iola’s office they will have to start with her. Any who specifically wish to join Polecat’s kitcheners can start with Sagontree and the cellerers, so all looks tight. After a lune or two, I shall ask them whither they will to craft next which will transfer them to Ashridge’s or Polecat’s offices, but by then they will know who is good to craft for which will discipline the refractory without us having to do aught.”

There were quiet chuckles from them all. Gibb was known for his subtlety, but this was subtle even by his standards.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00243010

TURBOT (15) SLEEPS WITH VOË (7)

IT’S CALLT A LEAÇE

4th of Luval Day 243

It was nigh to half a year since Llyllabette and Yoomarrianna had joined the folk at Southern holding and though not perfect their understanding of Folk was good though better than their heavily accented spaech. They had fitted in to their new kinsfolk well and though still learning a wide variety of skills what skills and knowledge they had brought with them were appreciated. Yoomarrianna had done a little forge work before his incursion though he’d had few tools and only a makeshift anvil. With the proper forge set up at the front of one of the large barns, a substantial anvil and a complete set of tools his abilities progressed rapidly. Sledge was amazed at his ability to teach himself. Cloudberry and Sledge had lost twelve of their fourteen children and all their children and grandchildren too to the fevers. Only Smockt and Burgloss had survived and Smockt and Hubert had lost eight of their nine children along with their children too, only Skylark and her children had survived. It had put a lump in Sledge’s throat to see Yoomarrianna using his dead son’s tools, but that passed and with time he’d come to feel much better every time he heard the ringing of a heavy hammer working hot steel on the anvil. The family were slowly but surely recovering and acquiring another son and daughter helped.

Thirteen year old Srossa, Cygnet and Burgloss’ eldest daughter, and seven year old Voë, Skylark’s eldest daughter, were interested in Llyllabette’s flock and spent a lot of time with her milking and looking after the animals. Twelve year old Uri and nine year old Cnara, both daughters of Cygnet, were interested in dairy work and enjoyed making cream, butter and cheese. Cygnet’s eight year old twins Sexday and Luuk her brother followed their fifteen year old brother Turbot like a pair of puppies. Turbot was a good natured young man and was patience itself with his younger siblings ensuring that all they did in imitation of his crafting they did correctly.

Turbot was heartfrienden with Voë and it had shocked Llyllabette to learn the pair had shared a bed for nearly two years. “It’s how it works here, Llyll,” Yoomarrianna had explained. “They have a commitment to each other, and though they have a right to each other’s bodies, Sledge told to me it’s callt a leaçe, Turbot will not be abusing Voë, though it’s probable she will soon be upset it he doesn’t become intimate. In a year or two anyway. You know here couples literally belong to each other?”

“Yes. Cloudberry explaint that to me lunes ago.”

“Well it applies to heartfriends too. No matter what their ages. Voë owns Turbot every bit as much as he owns her. I know it seems peculiar and it would be criminal whence we came, but they make it work here. In Voë’s case she has another person to look after her in the event of tragedy and a special person in her life to care for. Most of the customs here have their roots in survival under desperate conditions. I have decidet I am not fit to judge what happens here and I doubt I ever shall be. I suggest you so do too, for Voë clearly has no need of protection from either of us gainst anyone or anything. We are the ones with the peculiar customs here, not the others. Have you seen the burial plot on the hill?”

“Yes. Why?”

“I was working over there with Burgloss a few days since, and he telt me they loes twenty adults and over a hundred folk in all to the fevers. Most of the grave markers are recent. If Voë has a baby at ten, which mind is over thirteen of our years, and is in no way unusual here, it will cause nothing but rejoicing to the family.”

“I can see you are right, Yoo, and Voë obviously loves him, but still it instinctively does seem not right. I suppose I shall have to develop a new set of instincts. Turbot carves things for fun and some of the things he has maekt to give to her are lovely. It does seem odd, but he is already making a crib for their babes in years to come. Voë was very proud of him when she telt me he sayt he had to start now because he isn’t a fast worker in wood and is worryt it won’t be finisht in time. Don’t worry, Yoo, I’ll become uest to things here in time. I must go, we’re making butter, and after that I want to finish what I’m knitting for Slew or she’ll have outgrown it before it’s finisht. She’s not yet one and growing so quickly.” Llyllabette sighed and Yoomarrianna hugged her tightly before kissing her. Llyllabette could still become upset over never having had any children. “I’ll be all right, Love. I shall truly.” Yoomarrianna was still shaking his head as she left.

After dinner that eve Slew started screaming to be nursed whilst Skylark was helping two year old Quinnea with her meal. Six year old Roach was helping his four year old sister Vosgælle cut her meat up and Llyllabette telt Skylark, “You nurse the baby, Skylark. I’ll help Quinnea. The girls will start the milking after dinner without me.” Llyllabette smilled at Srossa and Voë, who were pleased to hear the public acknowledgement of Llyllabette’s trust and confidence in their ability. Skylark was grateful for the help, for the other adults needed to eat and finish the day’s work with the animals in the barn. For the time of year it was relatively warm, possibly only thirty heats below freezing, but it was full dark and had been since two hours over noon and the work was hard. Skylark and Cygnet had discussed how good Llyllabette was with children, especially the younger ones, and she’d telt the women of her sorrow that she’d never been able to have any. However a tenner since Cloudberry and Smockt had noticed a change in Llyllabette’s behaviour and lastdaysince Cloudberry, who been watching her closely, became convinced her stomach was a little more rounded than of yore. She was as Cloudberry would put it blossoming.(4) Cloudberry was washing up and putting things away assisted by Cnara, Sexday and Luuk. She was also listening closely to Skylark and Llyllabette.

When Cloudberry had finished her tasks she waited till Llyllabette was taking Quinnea to bed and followed her. “Llyllabette, I would like some converse with you when it is convenient.”

Llyllabette thought Cloudberry wished to have spaech concerning Srossa’s desire to formally apprentice to her as a goat and sheep crafter. They’d had spaech of it before and there were formalities, not least the signing of the instrument of apprenticeship, that had to be undergone for the crafter to be recognised as a Mistress or Master of the craft by the rest of the Folk after the due time had been served. “Of course, as soon as I put Quinnea to bed.”

“I’ll be in the kitchen putting out the supper things.”

It was a shock when Cloudberry asked, “Have you considert you may, have a babe under your heart, Dear? For you are behaving as though you may have and your shape is a little more rotund.”

Llyllabette blushed and replied, “No, for I have not misst my lunetime. I’ve never bethinkt me of it, for after so long being childless I doetn’t think it possible.”

“Smockt has noticet the same changes in you that I have and has the same suspicion too. It is not common, but it is not unknown for a woman not to miss a single lunetime from conceiving to birthing. You are aware of all the possible signs of pregnancy?”

“I should be, for I’ve spent more than enough time wishing for one of them to appear.”

“If you consider it now, have you noticet anything? For I suspect you may be two or possibly three lunes for Smockt and myself to have bethinkt ourselfs you may be with child.”

“Nothing unusual, for though my breasts have been a little tender they always are at this time in my cycle, and my stomach always bloats a little at this time too. I have not been unwell in the forenoon and I have no darker line as some women do. No. I have had no indications that I may be pregnant, so I suspect you are making something out of nothing.”

“As you will, My dear, but I think not, for Cygnet and Skylark have noticet the changes in your behaviour too. You have been here for more than a few lunecycles and I’ve not suspectet aught before. You keep a careful regard to yourself, for if with child for the first time at your age you need to be. Fortunately if you are by the time it is of import the weather will be such that we can have you back to the Keep with the midwifes.”

Llyllabette considered Cloudberry’s suspicions to be nothing but an old woman’s musings and thought no more of the matter. She didn’t even bother to tell Yoomarrianna of the conversation.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00244010

IOLA OUTFACES SIWARD

THAT IS A GOOD IDEA

5th of Luval Day 244

Milligan had not been correct in thinking none would confront Iola. Iola had asked Siward if he could have the vegetables intended for the vegetable cooks washed before peeling rather than after, so she could use the peels in stock. Despite his highth, six feet and a span, Siward was a little man, and, over-powered by his resentment of her, his response to her reasonable request was not to provide a justifiable reason why not, but to lose his temper thinking a girl of Iola’s age would just back down. He had chosen the wrong young woman. Before Castle, Iola had been unsupported at home by an unloving step-father and a braeken mother and been a square peg trying to fit into a circular hole at school, but she was in her element in the Keep kitchens. She was supported and loved by her new family, successful and respected in her craft and knew herself to be a Mistress cook. She didn’t even consider her age, and she had no qualms exerting her authority which was the equal of Siward’s. Without backing down a wiedth, though with heart hammering with trepidation, she had calmly said, “Why are you becoming so upset with what is a perfectly reasonable request, Siward, which will help to feed the Folk. Is it not your will to feed the Folk?”

Since Siward had unwisely chosen to lose his temper with Iola within the hearing of half their staffs, to avoid loss of face, he’d had to provide an acceptable, if not reasoned, response. “If you are so convincet you can do better than I, I suggest you take charge of my initial preparation staff and see what you can make of it.”

Still looking calm, Iola had choked down her fear, and to his consternation and the great amusement of their staffs said, “That is a good idea. My gratitude, Siward. I shall tell them to report to me after lunch.” Giving him no opportunity to justify a reason for changing his mind, she left immediately, grateful to escape his presence, and went to his initial vegetable preparation area, where she telt his crafters they were now crafting for her and she would see them in her kitchens after lunch when she would complete the reorganisation. That left Siward with a staff of sixteen, and Iola with an extra thirty-eight staff, resulting in a large change in their relative stature in the kitchens. Since most of his staff had heard the fracas, and Iola was known to be a much easier person to craft for than Siward, the transition was effected with no problems to any other than Siward, who, neither liekt nor disliekt, but not trusted, was given no sympathy any where. He knew better than to complain to Milligan or Gibb.

Adela, who didn’t like Siward, telt some of her closer women friends in the kitchens that she had nearly wet herself laughing at the look on Siward’s face. Most of them had had problems with him in the past and all agreed with Bluesher, who was the Mistress coldstore in charge of the provisioners ice stores, the cold chambers and the freeze chambers, when she had said “My only regret is I was not there to see it. For which privilege, despite the effect birthing fourteen children has had on my bladder control, I should willingly have taken my chances on wetting myself.” Their agreement with her was expressed by giggles and laughter which had taken days to totally fade away.

~o~O~o~

Gibb couldn’t keep his face straight when he telt Milligan how Siward had enabled Iola to finesse most of his staff away from him. Milligan had a vicious look to him as he’d said, “I’m certain Iola will achieve more with them than Siward would ever have been able to, Gibb. Better yet if she’d taken his entire office’s staff from him. Keep me informt as to events please.”

“As you will, Milligan, but I opine she will need no aid or protection other than that of her crafters and those she has a care to.”

“You are undoubtedly correct, Gibb, but I wasn’t implying that she would need assistance. I merely wisht to enjoy to the full her trampling underfoot those we have never managt to deal with for fear of losing staff. You must admit it is amusing.”

Gibb had a satisfied look on his face as he said, “Every detail, Milligan, every detail. We have a great want of lighter topics at managers’ meetings, so I’ll report every detail.”

~o~O~o~

After two days, Iola’s new crafters had telt her with some diffidence, “Scrubbing the vegetables in cold water hurts our hands, Iola.”

She had responded, “My sorrow, but you really should have telt me sooner. Put water to warm on any stove not in use for the now. I shall have hot water maekt available as soon as I can.” The crafters had been happy with her solution, and separating the peels as they were produced into soup materials and poultry food became easier and more efficient. She telt the vegetable crafters only to peel easy to peel material for Siward’s crafters and to give the more difficult and odd-shaped materials to the soup makers after scrubbing them and removing aught necessary. That had integrated the activities of the two groups of crafters, both of who appreciated the help of the other when hard pressed. It wasn’t long before there was only one group of crafters. Despite the limitations of some of them, they had reorganised themselfs.

~o~O~o~

Olga, who managed the Keep’s hens and supplied the kitchens with most of the eggs they uest, had delivered some to Iola, who uest them for a variety of uses, but mostly for Egg Drop Soep, and the wafer thin, crispy edged, seagreen omelettes which she sliced into strips to accompany her Wonton Soeps, clear meat broths in which the wontons, thin pastry parcels of a variety of types, containing pulverised mixtures of seasoned meats, dried shrimp and vegetables, were cooked. The pastry had initially been rolled out by Amæ and Helen of the pastry cooks in Iola’s kitchens and filled and sealed by Iola’s crafters. It had not taken long before, with her and Alice’s encouragement, Iola’s crafters learnt how to prepare the pastry for themselfs. Iola and Olga were taking leaf and discussing the hens. “To keep them laying at all in the winter they have to have more hours of light than there is daylight,” Olga had explained, “so to make the days longer we have oil lights in the hen houses where they roost. They do lay less than in summer, but at least we have some eggs. Belike we shall be able to use the new gas lights betimes which will be brighter, and we are hoping the hens will lay more then.”

Iola who had not realised there was so much involved in keeping hens was impressed. She asked Olga, “Sometimes it is difficult for the kitcheners to separate waste things, Olga. If there is any doubt as to whether something should go to the hens or the composters, where would you rather it goent?”

Olga replied immediately, “There’s no need to separate any of it. Send it all to my man, Odo, at the composters. If there’s too much for him he’ll bring the surplus to me. He raises the cockerels, and they scratch through the compost so any food in it will not be wastet. In the warmer weather, he’d appreciate a bit of meat scraps too for the grovvens.”(5) Iola, who received the cockerels from Dabchick via the butchers, knew Odo raised them, but she had not realised he was a composter rather than a poultry crafter. Seeing the look of surprise on Iola’s face Olga explained, “We run the hens with a gross or so of cockerels, and each has his own flock of hens. When the hens raise chicks more than half of them are cockerels. You’d opine it would be half wouldn’t you? But that’s how it is. When the young cockerels start to fight and bother the hens the hens lay fewer eggs. So as soon as we can see they are cockerels they are taken to Odo to raise to killing weighth before they can cause me any problems. At this time of year the compost piles are under cover, and the heat of the composting stops them freezing no matter how calt it is. The compost keeps the cockerels busy whilst they gain weighth, and they can’t bother the hens there. In the better weather the piles are uncovert, but they’re some farth from the hens’ runs. With no hens to impress they don’t fight much, and Odo takes any casualties to the butchers. Before Odo kills a batch, I look at them to see if there’re any I wish as replacements for any of my older ones with the hens.”

“What are the grovvens, Olga?”

Olga laught before replying, “Small animal covert in prickles. They live all over Castle, but Odo has some that live between the curtain walls. They eat pests and Odo feeds them and gives them a bit of milk too. They curl up and go to sleep over the cold weather and he provides them with boxes stufft with leafs and straw to sleep in so they’re safe. He claims it’s just good sense to look after them, but the truth is he’s very fond of them and they seem to recognise him for they don’t run away from him. The growers are always careful to check for them before they do aught with tools for they can always tell if a particular section between the walls has no grovvens there for the pest damage is obvious. The ducks eat the slugs, the thrushes eat the snails, the grovvens eat the bugs and the squad controls the vermin.” Olga hesitated before asking, “What do you do with shellfish shells, Iola?”

“The largest scallop shells I give to the kitcheners for small serving plates at banquets, for they only last so long and have to be regularly replacet, but the rest the firekeepers take with the ashes and bones to be crusht by the composters or to the hardset(6) makers. Odo may receive some of them for all I know. Why?”

Olga laught and said, “They won’t be doing the cockerels any good. Could we have them to crush for grit for the hens? It makes the shells stronger. I’m willing to trade them for the eggs I supply to your kitchens.”

“Of course. The composters only take them as bulk and the hardset makers would prefer to use limestone. Unlike the bones, I don’t believe they put any goodth into the soil. I should rather know they were better uest, and I’m sure the composters will be pleast not to have to bother with them. I know the hardset makers will. Would you like the snail shells too?”

“Please.”

Iola and Olga parted and Iola subsequently informed the kitcheners who cleared the plates from the Refectory and dealt with any food left on them as to the new arrangements which maekt their lifes easier. Olga had been reluctant to ask for the shells because the kitchen staff, especially Mistress and Master cooks, had always been noith.(7) However, she’d been amazed when Wels had telt her of the new arrangements concerning the onions, though it had always seemed flaught to her that onions were effectively being grown for composting. She was friends with Camomile who had telt her Iola was different. Camomile explained she no longer had to burn wood for the ash needed to make soap as Iola was providing her with the ash she required in exchange for the soap her kitchens required, so Olga had decided to risk an unpleasant response. She had been amazed by Iola’s reasonablth, and though Iola was unaware of it was now prepared to go to considerable longths to assist her in any way she could.

~o~O~o~

Fulbert had Seven Craft Tatties maekt and eager to try starchroot(8) sgons(9) he’d asked Iola to advise as his crafters prepared them for their lunch. As she had telt him they were easy to make, and they were cookt on the top of one of his stoves. As he and his crafters pronounced them delicious, he wiped the butter off his chin with his fore finger, sucked it off his finger, grinned at Iola and said, “You have just maekt Ashridge a very happy man. I’ll have another, please, Swaille.” The last remark was addresst to one of the apprentices cooking the sgons. Swaille had only joined the kitchens three days since, and was on loan from Iola’s office to Fulbert’s because a number of his juniors were ill. She had been so nervous when Fulbert had telt her she was to be making and cooking the sgons he had telt Gren to do so too, saying, “Iola sayt they were so easy to prepare she doet it with her friend when they were little, so we’ll have the two youngest and least experiencet cooks in the office prepare and cook them.”

Iola finished her sgon, smiled and said, “Gratitude, Swaille, Gren, they were tasty. I imagine they will be popular, Fulbert. You could of course add all sorts of other things to them.”

“What do we clepe them, Iola?”

“I’d keep it simple, Fulbert. Tattie Sgons sounds good to me.”

The Tattie Sgons were as popular as the Seven Craft Tatties and were sometimes baked by the bakers at the same time as the Seven Craft Tatties, though more usually they were cooked for braekfast nextday. Fulbert cooked samples occasionally when he wished to try adding other ingredients.

~o~O~o~

Because she had been so busy, it had taken Iola nearly a lune to find a successful replacement for olive oil. It finally comprised a cold pressed seed oil blended with a little clarified ewe’s butter and she referred to it as Dairy Oil. Her crafters assisted the dairy crafters to make it in ten gallon batches. Though he’d had no idea what olive oil was like Spoonbill had been of great help to her in the creation of dairy oil. As she’d telt him, “I probably have no proper memory of olive oil any more, but dairy oil is perfect for the kind of cooking I have in mind. My gratitude for your help, Spoonbill.”

~o~O~o~

The two dozen oaken vegetable crushers finally arrived. They were four spans [16 inches, 4ocm] long in all, and the handle was a span long and two wiedths [1 inch, 2½cm] in diameter. The rest was a three-quarters of a span [3 inches, 7½cm] square section with two flat sides and two grooved sides, one set of grooves in line with the tool axis and the other across it. The crushers had been hollowed, almost filled with lead and then a wooden plug had been glued in over the lead. What impressed Iola’s crafters most was their weighth, for they dealt with the toughest of vegetable stalks easily. It hadn’t occurred to Iola that Alwydd and her granddad would just assume she wished them filling with lead like the priests, and it hadn’t occurred to them that she meant just wooden implements, but she had no regrets.

“This,” said Puffin waving one in the air, “is a serious item of kitchen equipment that would be most useful for keeping rowdy boys under control.”

They all laught since Puffin’s two older boys, who as she put it, “I acquiert with Chub because I couldn’t reach agreement with him on easier terms,” were somewhat rowdy and always in trouble. She loved the boys and was proud of them, but their antics, which had always provided her colleagues with a rich source of entertainment, worried her. However, they had improven since they had started helping the kennel squad. Chub had said, despite the black eyes and contusions they came home with after their first day at the kennels, that Gage was a good influence on them, and they would become better apprentices and crafters for learning some of the realities of life at a young age. The kitchen staff all knew Chub was a good husband and dad but he had been rowdy if not wild when young, and it was his Master who had knocked the nonsense out of him, for which he had always admitted gratitude because it had turned him into a successful wheelwright.

They laught even more when Adela added, “Men too! Ivy would know how to use one.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00247010

TO GAZE AT THEM IN AWE

SHE IS A MISTRESS COOK

8th of Luval Day 247

The plumbers, bothered by Iola’s age, had approached Milligan as to whether they should comply with her request for a hot water supply. At his most urbane, Milligan had asked, “What is the status of the person making the request?”

“She is a Mistress cook, Milligan,” he had been telt. He had gazed at Sippet as though he’d not been over bright, to be telt blushingly, “Of course, Milligan, we shall start thisday.”

Even before her crafters had the hot water supply, Iola had started considering what else would make their lifes easier, and she came to the conclusion the new fifty gallon stock kettles when on the stove were too high for easy use, and as she didn’t wish an accident she’d had spaech with the ingeniators of having one of the stoves reduced in highth a bit. Orcharder, an elderly mazun who now trained apprentice ingeniators to build stoves, had hearet of Milligan’s treatment of the plumbers and did not make the same mistake. “We could do that for you, Mistress Iola, but it would be more sensible to build a step all the way berount the stove because taking some of the top off would reduce the fuel space. A lower stove really should be maekt with the bottom of its fuel space nearer the floor. However, the fire brick lining of some of your stoves is nearly wearn out, so it would be even more sensible to build a new stove designt to take your kettles, there’s room aplenty for it. If you tell us which kettles it has to suit we can build a stove for them in a day, but it will need to be carefully bringen to temperature over half a tenner to avoid the hardset cracking as it dries out. We should manage that, it’s part of our craft to so do. Then we could remove a wearn out stove, and if you like, build another for you to suit aught you like too. As soon as you decide what you wish and where you wish it we’ll build it for you.”

That Orcharder had said, “If you tell us which kettles it has to suit…,” had given Iola to ponder.

If she could have a stove built to take any size kettles what size did she really wish? What would be most useful? She and many of her crafters had already said many a time, ‘If only the new stock kettles were a little larger.’ How much larger? The stoves, which were all approximately two strides wide and a stride deep, were built of masonry with solid masonry floors maekt up to the highth required to put the cast iron plate of the top at the appropriate level. They were fuelled, the fire maintained and the ash removed from the back by the kitchen firekeepers via two hinged iron doors. The flue came out of one side of the stoves towards the back, and air was admitted via an adjustable restrictor at the other side, but nearer the front. Orcharder had telt Iola she could choose which side was which. The first flue pipe, which ran slightly upwards from horizontal over the masonry with its top nearly level with the top of the stove at the back, was a casting but the rest were maekt of riveted steel sheet and taekt the flue vertically to join the common flue exit space, from which the smoke was removed by a set of huge wind powered fans. In the rare event of no wind the fans could be powered by a slowly falling granite block of several thousands of weights which only needed to be pulled back up once a day, and that could be done by a team of horses in ten minutes.

Iola discussed the matter with Adela, and they decided to not have a step built berount a stove for the two fifty gallon kettles, but to order two one hundred gallon kettles, and to have a stove built for them. “What bethink you Gibb will say of it, Iola?”

“Why should he be concernt? I have the authority to order them, and we have already saved far more than whatsoever they could possibly cost. You reckon and write down our kitchens’ records with me, so you know that is true. Let us allow Gibb to follow his craft undisturbed by what he needs no knowledge of, and we’ll do likewise.” The two women smiled and left it at that.

~o~O~o~

The kettles, which whilst huge, would be able to take an entire batch of stock each without recourse to another kettle. Once they were in use they would have another stove rebuilt to suit the fifty gallon kettles, and consider ordering another pair of one hundred gallon kettles and a stove for them. Knapps who had been taken aback by her request for the fifty gallon kettles was stunned by her request for kettles twice that size, but he recovered quickly and suggested rather than making them circular making them square with slightly curved corners, for strongth he explained, which would increase the fillth(10) for each span of highth, fully utilising the entire stove top including the corners and thus enabling a larger fire chamber. He also suggested putting a wide bore spigot at the bottom with a strainer on its inner end so liquid could be taken out easily without a risk of blockage. Iola liekt the idea of the spigot and didn’t have a problem with the shape, but she said she would like Knapps to have spaech with Orcharder of the latter before she agreed. Orcharder agreed with Knapps that it maekt sense, and they were thus ordered.

Knapps suggested a variety of auxiliary fittings, strainers and the like to fit the new kettles which were also agreed. That a new stove was being built was no surprise to any in the kitchens. Though some of the span-thick, cast-metal tops were hundreds of years old, the stoves only lasted five years, and at any given time several were usually in the process of being rebuilt somewhere. It was assumed it was being built prior to a worn out one being removed, but some did wonder why it was so low. A few days after it had been brought up to temperature and dried out the new kettles were delivered, and they were a surprise, eclipsing Eudes’ open fire considerably. All in the kitchens, including Milligan, came to gaze at them in awe. It was now appreciated why the stove was so low. The kettles were huge, two feet tall and three feet on each side, a fullth of one hundred and twelve gallons(11) to the lip, they and their lids had two drop-down handles on each side, and they came with a large number of strainers and a selection of tools robust enough to handle aught that would fit in them, though many of the tools were designed to be uest by two or more persons.

Knapps had maekt the strainers just short of the internal measurements so they would fit side by side inside, dividing the kettles into a number of combinations of one foot squares. They were nominally, three foot square, three feet by two feet, three feet by one foot, two feet by one foot and one foot square. They all had drop down handles and would fit inside the kettles with their lids on. There was also a host of smaller strainer like utensils of various sizes all with tight fitting lids. They were infusers and had hooked handles of various longths to hang over the kettle or strainer top to save using cloths tied to a handle with string to contain herbs and suchlike to flavour the kettle contents. Some of the stirring spoons looked more like oars or grower digging equipment than kitchen equipment. The pairs of lifting tongs were works of art, and Knapps had explained to Iola, whilst they were all different and designed to handle different materials, they were all based on a tool he maekt for the ingeniators to lift stone blocks into position. When each person lifted their handles, of which there were two on each side so if need be they could be uest by four rather than two persons, the jaws of the device moved together providing a better grip on what was being lifted, thus the heavier the object being lifted the firmer the grip the jaws had on it.

One pair had spiked circular jaws which he explained would enable something like a heavy beast head to be lifted in or out of the kettle with complete control and safety. Another was like a gigantic pair of flat bottomed strainers that could collect material off the kettle base and allow the liquid to drain off before removal. The pair that looked like a giant pair of interlocking grikes(12) was for handling leafy materials. The fourth pair was for gripping large long bones, the fifth for handling large whole vegetables or irregularly shaped bones, and the sixth Knapps explained was an unfinished spare, but as soon as she had a need for another tool he would finish it to her requirements. Iola and her crafters were pleased at the prospect of being able to make stock in quantity in one kettle, and it would be far easier and safer to draw it off from the spigot into a pail than having to ladle it into one. Once the plumbers had installed the water supply, enabling the kettles to be filled directly from it, stock making ceased to involve the repetitious lifting of large numbers of heavy pails of liquid, it now merely required spigots to be opened and closed.

~o~O~o~

With the new stock kettles able to take huge amounts of bones, Iola’s thoughts returned to bean soup. Dabchick had telt her a while since the mammoth vertebrae were available and her crafters had placed them to one side in the freeze chamber till Iola was ready for them. Iola and Fledgeling taekt a handcart each and filled them with vertebrae, the bones didn’t fill a kettle, so they returned for a third cart load. The spigot was turned on for the water and Cnut lit the fire for them. Two days later they removed the bones to cool and recovered the last traces of edible material including spinal cord. The stock was excellent but unfortunately was required by the meat cooks and Iola’s crafters too. Iola smiling said to Fledgeling, “All our hard work, Fledgeling, and we couldn’t make the bean soup. We’d better start all over again with the other kettle.”

“Shall I fetch the bones, Iola? I know what to do.”

“Gratitude, that’s kind of you, Fledgeling, but take Letta with you to help. That’s a lot of work and the bones are heavy.”

Fledgeling was rarely able to craft without close supervision and a smile lit her face. Though not clever Letta was much cleverer than Fledgeling, but she was her friend and Fledgeling didn’t consider her to be supervision. Nearly two hours later she found Iola and said, “We fillt the kettle, Iola, but there weren’t enough back bones, so we uest some pieces of ribs with a lot of meat on them too. The kettle is nearly full with water and Ilsa has lit the stove. Will you see how much more water you wish in it and I’ll fill it to there?”

Fledgeling had filled the kettle to the right level, “Gratitude, Fledgeling, that’s perfect for bones and water. All we have to do now is wait. Whilst times I’ll see Dabchick regards the meat.”

~o~O~o~

Dabchick had telt Iola she now had sheep aplenty and venison too but no longer any goat. The last of the sheep crafters’ old stock was being culled, and the sheep crafters and the butchers assisted by her crafters would be working thisday, over night and probably a good part of nextday too to process the carcasses. Morris, she telt Iola, was making the killing a far easier and less traumatic experience for both sheep and crafters. Nightjar had maekt him a small but powerful crossbow which he could use with one hand. It uest wide, heavy, steel quarrels with round, button like tips, and Morris referred to it as a stungun. Dabchick knew for Iola the cull meant the meat for her bean soup would have to be sheep, and she wished to know what Iola could suggest to minimise the work. “The sheep crafters and butchers are skinning everything for you, Iola, including offcuts.(13) My crafters are dealing with the grallochth, and the butchers are grateful we are managing that for them. What do you wish us to do with the offcuts and aught else which the cooks won’t wish to use?”

“Just freeze them all separately for the now. I’m crafting overnight thiseve, so I’ll take what I wish from the freeze chambers later to add to the stock kettles. If Bluesher or Greensward shew us whither she wishes the various boxes stoert, offal as well as offcuts, we can do all the carrying for you leaving your crafters to process the grallochth. If you will, I’ll ask two of the stronger firekeepers to hang the carcasses for you. They’ll be pleast to do it for you.”

Dabchick laught and said, “Gratitude, Iola. That will make our crafting a lot easier. As for the firekeepers, it’s you they’ll be happy to do it for not me, but we shall be grateful. Hanging the carcasses is a lot of heavy work, but no doubt some of the firekeepers won’t even regard it as work. We’ll be making Blöd Sausage, some of which we’ll smoke, so let us know if you wish some, or do you wish us to do something different with some of the blood for you?”

“Do you use all the blood for sausage, Dabchick, and how do you process it?”

“Yes it’s all uest for sausage. We chop fat up finely to add along with rollt grains, salt and various mixtures from Spoonbill, all of which help to thicken the mix. When it cools and has partially sett we fill the casings and simmer them. We uest to add meat cut from the heads to some of them too, but now we intend to cook it all off unless you will to do it. Some are smokt and all are keept in a cool chamber. Saught uses a lot of them. Why? Have you any other ideas?”

“I’d like some of the mix maekt with the fat cutt say a wiedth and a half [¾ inch, 18mm] pourt into oven trays. Pour the mix half or three-quarters of a span 2-3 inches, 5-8cm] deep and leave it in a moderate oven till the cake has fully sett and the fat cookt. It can be slicet when calt. Saught could use it and I have a dish that it would suit better than sausage but may hap Eudes could use it with a fryt braekfast too. As to the heads I suggest we fill one of my big kettles with them and as soon as they come out for processing refill it. If we cook them all as quickly as possible you will only have to freeze what can be uest and the bones can be burnt. I can use some of the meat in soup as we deal with the heads.”

“I’ll have the heads delivert to you and any unprocesst can be stored in a cool chamber till you have a kettle available. I’ll have a dozen trays with the coarsely chopt fat mix prepaert for you. It will be easier than filling sausage and the coarser fat will be faster to prepare. We only chop it finely so the sausage is easier to fill. Does it have a name?”

“Other than Black Pudding not that I’m aware of, but Blödcake sounds reasonable.”

Carver and Wlnoth were powerfully built men, over seven feet tall, and happy to help. Their gangers, Beaver and Ilsa, were pleased to be able to help Iola by lending her their crafters. The men were so strong they effortlessly grabbed a carcass by a rear leg in each hand and carried and hung them on the hooks two at a time, much to the amazement of the butchers.

The cull and subsequent work was done faster and more easily than ever before. Iola had asked Morris to remove the sheep necks as well as the offcuts from the carcasses for Irish Stew and possibly Tattie Pot. Morris’ crafters, assisted by the sheep crafters, killed, bled, grallocht, skinned and offcutt(14) the sheep, all else was done for them. They skinned the offcuts before offcutting taekt place because it was easier. As usual the furriers and tanners collected the skins. In the past only a few of the horns had been uest as handles for tools of various kinds, but this year they were all sent to Flagstaff who uest them for walking sticks, sheepherds crooks and various other items. The necks were usually left on the carcasses, but it taekt the now competent crafters only a matter of seconds to remove a neck.

Iola’s Bean Soup uest all of the tails as well as some of the feet and heads, and was reinforced by a liberal dose of Mymate. Spoonbill’s blend included a little mercyfruit.(15) The soup was popular and required little effort once the stock had been maekt and the bones removed. It had required a little more thought than the pea soup because it was a new receipt, but all agreed bean and sheep offcuts was as natural a combination as pea and saltt gris(16) ribs. Coaltit was delighted bean soup uest dried beans on the same scale that pea soup uest dried peas. Iola, after some thought, was considering the fatty sheep breasts as well as offcuts for the bean soup and saltt gris offcuts as well as ribs for the pea soup. She asked Dabchick to have the next lot of gris offcuts salted, and Dabchick had said she would salt entire carcasses after butchery. When her crafters removed the gris from the brine, to prepare it for use and storage, they would box and label all bones, ribs, trimmings and offcuts ready for Iola to make pea soup with.

~o~O~o~

“Iola, is there aught you can cook in the next few days with sheep offal? Mongst us now lung, kidney, liver, heart, melt,(17) sweetbreads,(18) brain and trimmings are usually uest quite quickly though tripe is yet a problem to us on this scale. However, as a result of the cull we shall have huge quantities of all offals.”

Iola thought for a while before answering Dabchick, “How urgent is it, Dabchick?”

“It’s not. We can box and freeze all quickly which gives us time to process the tripe, but I considert you should know.”

“There’s naught I know of, however, I can make some thing that will use any heart Saught can’t manage. If I may have a significant quantity of trimmings or meat and starchroot with the appropriate vegetables from Coaltit I can put together a substantial soup.”

Dabchick, a good friend of Coaltit’s, despite their age difference said, “I’ll have spaech with her on my way back, Iola. What vegetables? And how much?”

“Redroot,(19) winteroot,(20) bigroot,(21) may hap a bit of sweetroot(22) and greenleaf,(23) kail or what ever she has similar to greenleaf. As to how much? If you give me fifty weights of heart, trimmings or meat, including no more than five of any other offal, I’ll start with the same of starchroot and the same again of the other vegetables. I know Coaltit sayt the roots need sorting again. I may need more vegetables, but we have to start some where. As usual if there’s a small quantity of some thing in need of use include it.”

“What will you call it?”

Iola considered briefly, “Trail Trimmings sounds good.”

“Why trail?”

“It’s short for entrails which is a similar word to grallochth.”

~o~O~o~

Iola sent some crafters to assist Coaltit’s to sort the roots because there were many tens of thousands of weights of them, but she knew Trail Trimmings and Irish Stew would be able to use up all the soft ones, and Irish Stew could almost be described as a hearty soup. It was still a puzzle to Iola that her soups were so highly thought of because she considered most to be in no way unusual. True, she couldn’t follow receipts exactly, and despite her memory, she couldn’t always remember all the details of what she had read and had to substitute for some ingredients with what ever was available, but she knew she was merely doing what most had had to do for generations: use what they had or starve. She’d asked Adela, “I still don’t really understand why the Folk consider what I am doing is so unusual, when all I am doing is using what we have. What happent before?”

“None ever considert soup to be of significance in feeding the Folk, Iola. Bones were usually burnt for compost with considerable amounts of meat left on, and rarely were offcuts uest for food. Other than large heads for kine soup, most offcuts were just burnt, and there was always a lot of difficult to remove meat left on the heads. Too the brain was never uest and like most offal went to the dogs. Vegetables were all peelt with a knife which producet much thicker peels than your peelers do, and all the peels and stalks were sent to the hens or compostet. Some stale bread was crumbt for cooking or uest to make sipps,(24) but most went to the hens, ducks and geese and none was ever toastet or fryt for braekfast or uest with soup. By your standards the waste was huge. The long cooking you do of bones and tough vegetable matter never happent. Even things like pea soup were only cookt till the peas fell. The bones always had a lot of edible material on them that was impossible to remove and the marrow was rarely extractet because the butchers were unwilling to crack them.

“We were always short of soup in the winter, and most of the soup producet was not particularly tasty. Some was, but most wasn’t, and the demand for soup was naught like what it is now. The toast and soup rolls and your accompaniments make soup a much more interesting thing to eat than it was of yore, and unlike then a lot is eaten by children now, especially thin soups which they can drink from a mug with your Toast Finger Dippers. Demand is now several times what it was just a lune since when you taekt over your office, which along with your creation of substantial complete meal soups means other offices don’t have to cook as much, which also saves food. Before you, there was a much more limitet variety of soups prepaert and waste from all other offices that cookt was much higher, for little of what had been cookt but not servt was uest in soup. Most of the soup cooks just sent it to the hens or the composters, and none ever considert sending aught to the dogs till Gage arrivt, which meant Thresher fedd them on meat that now goes to feed the Folk.

“The ways in which you, and now Coriander’s bakers, use all fats rendert or elsewise cookt out of meat has never been done before and they add considerable taste to a lot of food and provide a high energy food source in the cold. Using the poundet fatty solids left after rendering in bread and other things never happent before and as a result all butter, oils, dripping and lard go much further, which oft have been in short supply over the cold lunes.” Adela hesitated, “None ever appreciatet the soup crafters, so most doet what they had to and no more. Now they are members of a highly regardet office and enjoy crafting for you. There are many in the kitchens, especially those of limitations, who would join us if they could. Your success is causing considerable jealousy and ill feeling in some of the junior cooks, and I considert you should be aware of it because they may try to make life difficult for you.”

Adela had hearet the tales of Iola’s confrontation with the butchers, which had lost naught in the telling, and she had seen her deal with Siward, but for the first time Adela became directly aware of the different side of Iola’s character. Even when putting someone in their place, Iola had always been seen to be a considerate and reasonable young woman, who was especially appreciated by those who needed guidance or lacked confidence, but there was steel and no trace of reasonablth in her voice when she said, “I am a Mistress cook, and no junior or middle ranking cook has the authority to make life difficult for me and my crafters. They shall do what they are telt, or they shall have to explain to Gibb why not. Till now I have not invokt disciplinary proceedings, but that’s because I considert it unnecessary, not because I was not prepaert to as I believe all know.”

Adela smiled and said, “You have no idea how pleast I am to hear you say that again. Do you mind if I remind a few crafters, so that those junior cooks realise what they will be up gainst?”

Iola’s voice was back to normal when she replied, “You may tell whomsoever whatsoever you will. It’s a riandet(25) to me as long as they coöperate and don’t hinder us from feeding the Folk in what ever way seems best to us.” Iola thought for a few seconds before resuming, “And I mean us: me, you, Parsley and Harle, because whoever is in charge at the time is the office, with all the authority that goes with it, and I shall back them to the hilt, even if they have maekt a mistake, because it was their right so to do.”

Adela didn’t recognise Iola’s expression back them to the hilt, but she understood what Iola had meant. “I shall make sure that is understandt too, Iola. On a completely different subject, what else besides sheep and starchroot goes into Trail Trimmings, Irish Stew and Tattie Pot and how much liquid should they contain?”

Iola considered how honest to be. She decided after the previous conversation to throw caution to the winds. “Trail Trimmings is something I maekt up purely to help Dabchick with the offal and trimmings surplus from the sheep cull. Though I envisage it to be a substantial soup it is a soup not a stew. It could be maekt with any meat she wills uest. The rest is roots and greens in more or less equal proportions. I’d like the taste of greenleaf, kail or at least dark greens to be predominant, but we’ll have to season it as we cook it.

“Irish Stew has onion and redroot in the stew and onion, redroot, celery, thyme, bay, and parsley, in the stock. Some use barley, leeks, perseroot(26) and kail too, but I don’t believe it really matters as originally the only vegetables in it were starchroots and onions, but sometimes goat was uest rather than sheep. Tattie Pot I read was originally maekt with sheep but I’ve seen old receipts using kine(27) too. Most receipts uest similar vegetables to Irish Stew but Tattie Pot containt rather more roots than Irish Stew, but again it was a matter of what was available. The biggest difference is that Tattie Pot contains blood sausage, which Dabchick would like to see uest. She has both smokt and unsmokt, so I’ll try both, but first I’ll try the oven cookt blödcake she maekt for me. I don’t wish it to be too similar to Irish Stew so I have decidet I shan’t use sheep and shall see what Dabchick has that she wishes to be uest. I shouldn’t mind trying mammoth if it’s available.

“I read a receipt for Tatie Pot once that covert the dish with slicet unpeelt waxroots(28) and that will make it look different, so I’ll ask Coriander to try cooking it in deep oven trays with a layer of slicet waxroots on the base and the top. Any left over she can have cuebt and addet to the mix. I’ll ask her to cook the Irish Stew with a cobbler pastry crust on top along with some extra crust, for there’s never enough crust to satisfy the Folk when aught like that is baekt. To answer your question, Adela, there’s a lot less liquid in both than there should be to properly describe them as even a substantial soup, but we all make mistakes, Adela, and after all both will appear to be a kind of pie which Coriander cooks daily.”

Adela laught and said, “As long as they’re tasty, there will be no ill will of significance directet at us, because neither Gibb nor Milligan, nor even Eudes nor Fulbert, will say a word gainst what folk will to eat, especially if it makes food last longer, and both were happy for you to cook your Lancashire Lobby stew, and—”

Iola pleased to hear Adela’s use of us cut her off, “and we have no need to care what any other opines or says, do we?”

The two women, holding their sides in laughter, were happy to consider themselves as not just colleagues but friends too now.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Msrgæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon

112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Flaught, foolish, silly. Here used as a collective noun for the foolish.
2 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
3 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
4 Blossoming, Folk version of blooming. In this context the word refers to the changes in a woman due to pregnancy.
5 Grovvens, hedgehogs. Erinaceus europaeus.
6 Hardset, lime or cement used in mortar or concrete.
7 Noith, reluctant to try anything new.
8 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to. Solanum tuberosum.
9 Sgons, scones.
10 Fillth, capacity. A similar word is fullth though it is used to refer to a specified capacity.
11 One hundred and twelve Castle gallons is equivalent to about 112 Imperial gallons, 510 litres or 140 U.S. Gallons.
12 Grike, a fork used for vegetable cultivation.
13 Offcut meats or offcuts, a Castle term for heads, feet and tails. Occasionally other poorer cuts, like necks, are referred to as offcuts too. The name arose because the head, feet and tail are usually cut off when an animal is skinned, which may in the case of game be some time after it is grallocht.
14 Offcutt, the past tense of the verb to offcut meaning to remove offcuts, a back formation from offcuts, itself a one time neologism of some antiquity indicating those things which have been cut off.
15 Mercy fruit, hot peppers, chillies.
16 Gris, wild - feral swine. Sus scrofa.
17 Melt, spleen.
18 Sweetbreads, thymus glands and pancreas.
19 Redroots, carrots, often cooked and served with the green tops still on. Redroots may be any colour from black, perse (purple), red, sunset (orange), yellow and white, but most are red.
20 Winteroot, swede, Swedish turnips or rutabaga. Originally winter root.
21 Bigroot, sometimes referred to by the Folk as mangels. Mangels are called mangels, mangel worzels or fodder beet on Earth. Since they grow quickly, are hardy and crop reliably, oft reaching fifty weights, they are extensively grown to be eaten by the Folk as well as their livestock. The varieties grown by the Folk also provide strong tasting and nutritious greens particularly popular with venison. They are also popular uest cooked then chopped to be mixt with cold mashed starchroots which are flattened to the size of a dinner plate and a wiedth thick before oven cooking with grated cheese on top till the cheese melts. The quartered pieces are known as Leaf Melts, and served with a wide variety of meals. Other dark greens are uest similarly.
22 Sweetroot, parsnip.
23 Greenleaf, spring greens, spring cabbage or collards.
24 Sipps, croûtons.
25 Riandet, a matter of no significance.
26 Perseroot, turnip usually with purple shoulders. Perse is the Folk word for the colour purple.
27 Kine, cattle, here the meaning is beef.
28 Waxroots, waxy potatoes. Floury potatoes are referred to as starchroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to. Solanum tuberosum.

up
13 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos