My Date as a Teenage Girl Model

Printer-friendly version

When there was an announcement that Amy Amstel should come to the school secretary’s office urgently since there was a call waiting for her from her modelling agency my class-room exploded in laughter at the obvious joke someone had managed to pull. Everyone looked at the boy in the second row – me. My teacher is in on it and said:

- They must mean you, Andrew. Off you go.

I hated the fact that I looked like the young teenage girl model Amy Amstel. More precisely I hated the ribbing I got for looking like her. I could, just, accept that my fellow students joked about it but teachers?

- No, Miss. There must be some mistake. I’m not going.
- Don’t be silly. Don’t dilly-dally. Hurry up, they are waiting for you.

I finally regretted all the pranks I had played on Miss Draper. Well, I suppose it’s part of growing up to realize and regret the sins of your misspent youth. I went.

While not among the top-ranking models Amy Amstel was a fairly successful young teenage model. You could see her in adverts for beauty products and clothing of various kinds, though never underwear or intimate hygiene. That wouldn’t have fitted with her image. Apparently she was rather shy and prim. She never appeared in celebrity settings and in the only interview she had given she had stressed that she wanted to live a quiet life outside of work. As a matter of fact she kind of had a reputation to be a recluse. Despite her undoubted talent that low profile prevented her from making it really big.

The only reason she was a household name in our school, among girls AND boys was that Darius, the school star quarter-back, was absolutely and hopelessly infatuated with her. He collected all the adverts she appeared in, wrote letters to her (actual physical ones!), tried to meet her and when that failed sent flowers to her c/o her agency. The poor guy really had it bad. The rest of the team joked about it mercilessly. He just smiled and agreed that he had completely fallen for a girl that he’d never even meet. Then someone noticed that I resembled Amy Amstel … Well you could imagine the jokes that I and to no less extent Darius were the victims of.

Given my teacher’s attitude I just had to play along. I went to the office. I asked to take the call in private. It was as I had expected. I was angry. At lunchtime Darius unexpectedly sat down at our table. He kindly but quite firmly asked my friends to leave us alone. I admit; the oversized boy intimidated me. What was he going to do? My friends had abandoned me. I could see everyone else in the cafeteria looking at us. Help!

Fortunately my big sister turned up and despite the non-inviting glare Darius gave her she sat down. Yay, thank God! US cavalry arrived just in time. Yeah, just in time to help the Indians taking scalps!

When Darius came with outrageous ideas to ask me out for a date with me as Amy Amstel my sister didn’t shield me. She stabbed me in the back.

- Yes, there is something “Amy Amstel” about my little brother. Put him in a skirt (nearly knee-length, not mini), knee socks, a soft blouse, add a bra with A inserts, put on some discrete make-up and comb his longish hair in a different way and you have Amy Amstel.

Abandoned and betrayed I finally gave in. When dealing with deranged people it’s often better to play along and when it came to Amy Amstel Darius definitely wasn’t playing with a full deck. I foolishly agreed to spend the entire Saturday a fortnight later with him as Amy Amstel. A fully-fledged date. He was to plan everything AND pay for everything. I hoped that this would restrain him a bit. I had underestimated his infatuation.

The two weeks leading up to our date wasn’t exactly hell. More embarrassing than anything else. The entire school knew about my upcoming date as a teenage girl model. They loved it and decided to “help” in every way. The girls spent hours to help me acquire feminine behavior. I also learned that I had not exactly pissed off but at least irritated a surprising number of teachers in school. I really had to work hard to prevent Coach from transferring me to girls’ PE. Mlle Dubois returned an essay I had written in French with a big fat F for referring to myself in the masculine (I later learned that she actually registered it as B+). In drama I was given a girl’s part, fortunately only a small one. The only teacher not in on it was my ballet teacher. When someone swiped my black ballet tights, white t-shirt and black slippers and replaced it with a leo, tights and slippers, all pink, my teacher found me some black tights and slippers. I had the pink leo under my tights.

I turned down no less than three offers for sleep-overs. I also declined to try out for cheerleading. I didn’t accept any of the dates several of the more eligible males tried to get me on. I hope they were joking. You get the drift. I did accept to have lunch with the cheerleaders. Well, couldn’t turn down everything, could I? I considered it educational and thus not threatening to my masculinity. Sis laughed at that.

The big day arrived. Sis dragged me out of bed just after six. I had an appointment at the salon. They had been primed and had several photos of Amy Amstel from all possible angles (courtesy of Darius). Actually I spent less time there than expected. No cutting of the hair, just a different styling. How embarrassing! Fortunately Amy Amstel was known to use minimal make-up. Apparently it’s just as hard, or even harder, to work with subtle make-up.

Back home for dressing. Sis had the clothes I needed laid out. For the day it was just as she had said a skirt (nearly knee-length, not mini), knee socks, a soft blouse, a bra with A inserts. I was relieved that Amy Amstel had a girl next door image.

Darius picked me up and drove us to a photo studio. I got nervous. Just imagine professional photographs of me posing of Amy Amstel circulating! I insisted that both Darius and the photographer signed a paper that the pictures would not be used without my consent. Of course Darius would get a set for himself. We spent some hours there. I was photographed over and over again. Sometimes with Darius. In some shots I was supposed to look lovingly at him. I sure was happy I had made them sign that paper! Actually, the photographer expressed regret at the end of the session. Apparently I was a natural. As if! Just imagine me trying to make a living as the boy Amy Amstel look-alike. No thanks! He promised me a small portfolio anyway and some names at agencies, just in case. It would have been impolite to refuse, wouldn’t it? Of course I had no intention to use it.

Darius then took me to a nice restaurant where we had lunch before heading for the football stadium. He had a game. He left me with one of the cheerleaders. I was surprised to be led to the field and sat with the cheerleaders. Great view! Darius kept waving at me. I was worried that he would be distracted but it turned out he played better than ever. Unexpectedly they won! At the end of the game he came running to me, grabbed me and lifted me. It was only by turning my head that I managed to avoid being kissed on the lips. I was beginning to like his attention.

We left the victory celebration after a while. He brought me to a very beautiful spot by the lake. We just sat there and just spoke for a while. I had done my homework so I could interact as Amy Amstel. I had to admit to being more and more impressed by Darius. He really was a very nice boy. I had to be very careful. It was quite easy to be attracted to him. To break the spell I suggested that the reason Amy was such a recluse was that she had a terrible secret she had to hide. At that he had a good laugh and looked at his watch and saw that it was time to head for dinner. First a brief stop at home to change into that absolutely fabulous evening gown - Darius wouldn't be happy to learn what it cost! Sis helped me with a hasty change in make-up. Before leaving again I looked into the mirror. I couldn’t deny it. I was pretty, I was cute, I was beautiful. I really looked like a teenage girl model in that dress!

Seeing the restaurant I gasped. It was extremely good and extremely expensive. I protested, but not very vigorously. The food really was as good as I expected. The atmosphere was amazing. Darius’ attention was quite addictive. I started to have problem differentiating between Amy and Andrew. We danced and danced. I was surprised that he was such a good ball-room dancer. He was also surprised at my skill, to dance the female part. I told him that I was serious to give him the full Amy Amstel experience. I did not exactly tell him the truth. That would have been too embarrassing. The night ended on a hill-top overlooking the town. The lights and stars couldn’t have been more romantic.

Sitting there with Darius’ arm around me I realized that I could get used to be cuddled by the big boy. There was no denying it, I enjoyed it. He leaned in towards me. It was clear that he wanted to kiss me but didn’t want to force himself on me. I was tempted, sorely tempted, to just melt into his arms in a passionate kiss. I didn’t. This night I was Amy Amstel. That kind of kiss just wasn’t her, not on a first date! I gave him my cheek. After the kiss I looked into his eyes. Really looked for a long time. His face was a strange combination of disappointment and happiness. Happiness dominated. His idea about Amy had been vindicated. Had I given in he probably would have been very disappointed. As I said, it wouldn’t have been Amy Amstel.

For a long time we just sat there, silent together.

Darius dropped me off at home a few minutes before midnight.
- Amy thank you for an unforgettable evening and day. I will cherish this day forever. It was everything I had hoped for. And you can tell Andrew that today I had this great day with Amy. Trying to repeat it would be to destroy a perfect memory. Andrew was in no way involved so he has nothing to worry about.

Easy for him to say!

- I really am happy that you finally got your date with Amy Amstel. You deserved it. You are the most romantic guy. Kind, attentive and all that. Amy Amstel deserves you!

Inside again, after a last kiss on the cheek, I looked at myself in the mirror. I was glowing. I was genuinely happy that Darius had got his perfect date with Amy Amstel. A date that Amy Amstel deserved, too.

I could have killed Sis when she said “Put him in a skirt (nearly knee-length, not mini), knee socks, a soft blouse, add a bra with A inserts, put on some discrete make-up and comb his longish hair in a different way and you have Amy Amstel”. Fortunately Darius thought she was speaking figuratively. That also reminded me. I really had to talk to my modelling agency. They have been told very firmly never, ever, to contact me in school!

up
415 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Smooth..., So Soft..., So DARN SLICK!

BarbieLee's picture

Bru, you sly girl you. My god you ran that one over me, you had me so blind sided, I never saw it coming. And the bestest part is I thought I knew you down to the color of the thong you had on at the last social. You know the one. I've been sitting here for the past five minute giggling like a teeny bopper thinking how for a change we were going to get a real honest to goodness story from the Mata Hari of the story tellers.
AND THEN the last two sentences ran me down like a deer caught in the headlights. OMG that was soooo out of the blue. I'll be laughing over that one for a week.
Love, you did better than good, you drove this one home with a Freightliner. When you stop at the next Truck Stop, wipe me off the grill and point me back home.
hugs
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Life is meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Possibly my sweetest story so far, with just a little bit tang

I had expected you to react on the sweetness.
Don't worry I'll wipe you off, dust you off and set you off towards the sunset singing "I'm a poor lonesome cowgirl".

BrU
FYI Mata Hari was a dilettante in so many ways but her charisma ...

Extended?

Daphne Xu's picture

Yes indeed, this was a nice and sweet story. It could even be extended to become one of Corazón TenderHeart's "Thumping Hearts" novellas.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Contradictory

How can Anthony hate looking like Amy A. when he IS Amy? Sounds like serious mental problems, somebody call the people with the white coats. Indefinate confinement seems indicated, until his grasp on reality is strengthened.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

My characters are usually wonderfully flawed

In this case Andrew doesn't really hate looking like Amy Amstel. More spedifically it's the teasing for looking like Amy he hates.

However, I AM a bit worried about how he's dealing with his two identities.

LOL

BarbieLee's picture

The Queen of ruses, with hundreds of disguises is "a bit worried" about someone who is dealing with two identities? I can't stand it! The convoluted sarcasm is so thick it's suffocating. Color me blue from laughing so hard I can't catch my breath.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

A fun story

I'm unfamiliar with this author, so I wasn't looking for a twist and just enjoyed the ride.

It reminded me a little of Andreja Pejić, back when she was pretending to be an androgynous male.

I liked it!

A lot!

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

My Date as a teenage girl model

Wonderful story, that ending just snuck up on me.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Did Bru write this?

Joking! I think it is the longest piece of yours I've seen. Actually it went long enough for me to guess the twist before it was finished. I doubt I would have if I wasn't aware of who wrote it. Blame those darn English professors making me read everything critically.

Bonus Points!

Well spotted!

Actually this is not my longest story here. Unless I misremember "The Only Boy in School" is the longest one at 2800 words. I.e. not THAT much longer.

Just for a moment I was tempted to submit this story under the name of Corazón Tenderheart ;)

Corazón Tenderheart?

It would be too sweet for you.

Btw the Bru moment was revealed in the first third of the story.

Not the best idea

Darius was more than enough. I had a neighbour Darius few years ago who looked like Valuev.

A very smooth curve!

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

That was a very deft maneuver at the end, Bru. Very cute, very fun. Short, with a big payoff.

- io

Just before

sugar_britches63's picture

Just before the ending I figured it out but hoping it might lead to a serial story.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

I usually don't do serials. However

I do have some ideas for both a prequel and sequel. It all depends on if I feel inspired or not. Very unlikely to be in the short term

Oh, giggle.

WillowD's picture

Awesome ending. I didn't see it coming and now I'm thinking that I should have.

Thanks for the story.

I'm surprised

Since my stories usually have an "unexpected twist ending" to quote Daphne Xu it's not obvious that my stories are up to be re-read.

Thank you!

Bru

Reread Benefit

Daphne Xu's picture

One may have various reasons to reread. Reveling in the reveal. The story itself -- this is a good example. Or simply forgetting the story and the twist.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Not only

Your stories are good not only because of the twist.

Paragraph six

I was sure they were one and the same from the start. That graph just confirmed it. It was the obvious Bru twist (sorry).

Him NOT being Amy would have been a real twist for a Bru story.
.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

The real Bru twist

Daphne Xu's picture

I agree, not being Amy -- or better yet, Amy being someone connected to him -- would have been the true twist.

I was wondering how Andrew might have been Amy -- perhaps multiple personality disorder or something? Well, it turned out straight.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Some readers are more suspicious than others

You might have noticed I didn't use the tag Advanced Bru readers this time.
Sadly there are some suspicious persons out there trying to find hidden twists in a sweet romantic story just because of the byline.
I'm more and more tempted to go ahead with my "Death in Venice" project that will leave some people driven to insanity looking for the hidden twist at the end of a 200 000 word story thas just slowly dissipates into nothing.

Go for it!

Daphne Xu's picture

You can be sure, I'll be looking forward to your "Death in Venice" project. Something is familiar about "Death in Venice", come to think of it. Better make it "Death in Orléans".

My own completed 200,000-word (actually, probably less than 100,000 words) project had a few enthusiastic readers at the time, but has since fizzled out. I think that's the norm. I still have half a dozen or so 200,000-word projects in line for completion.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

What a beautiful and light,

story. I really enjoyed it, especially the ending. I wish my Dad were still alive to have read it, he loved little last minute twists and twerks. You have a beautiful light touch which set's the reader up, then slams a pie in their face. Reminds me of a comedian my Dad used to laugh about and even bought and showed me some of his old shows, his name was something like Soupy Sales or something like that. I haven't heard anything about him in years but I suppose he is long dead now. Are you maybe the Marx sister? Sarah ^_^

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

Sad it's not possible any longer

After more than a year I still think "My Mother (or Father) will find this interesting" and then of course I realise it isn't possible any longer.

As for my writing I don't really see it as slamming a pie in the face of anybody. More of extending people's views and thinking outside the box. Being aware of stereotypes.

I do write a few dark stories but the vast majority basically are nice.

Change 'em!

Daphne Xu's picture

So Andrew/Amy's modeling agency had contacted him at school on some routine matter, notwithstanding his instructions to the contrary? Change the agency! Even if he did get a nice romantic date out of it.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Well, you never know

As mentioned by some other commenters I should write a story without a twist and that would be the twist given my byline.

I may very well do that so be alert!

Look-Alike

Daphne Xu's picture

I was reminded of "Adventures in Babysitting", a 1980s movie starring Elizabeth Shue. The movie had a running gag where the babysitter looked just like the model featured in the latest Playboy. Nothing came of it, though.

In "The Demon-Haunted World", Carl Sagan told of having a cabby with the name of a famous political personage. As they drove, the cabby asked him what it was like having the name of the science guy. Sagan answered, "Actually, I am that science guy."

I'm not good with faces, myself. I was eating at a Chinese restaurant in Harvard Square, and a few men at the table next to mine were talking general relativity. One of them resembled a professor I'd had (for one quarter), and I worked up the nerve to ask if he was Kip Thorne. He denied it, but admitted that he's been told that he resembles him.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Please don't put any more silly ideas into my head!

Especially R or X rated one.
I wont say anything more.

As for "kind of recognising": Many, many years ago on his way to work my father met a distinguished elderly gentleman that my father thought he knew but couldn't really remember who it was. As was the habit at the time he lifted his hat in greeting. The elderly gentleman responded politely in the same way. Only when my father arrived at his office he realised that it was the local king.

Not to Worry

Daphne Xu's picture

I'm going to save my silly ideas all for myself. As if! [Walks into a bar.] Ouch!

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Wow,

what a twist. At first I thought that someone at the restaurants had leaked so photos and he was going to be offered to stand in for Amy. Then to find out that she is Amy. is a twist.

Fantastic story, could deserve a prequel on just how Andrew became Amy. the teenage model.

Well, he can still be a stand-in for Amy

As I mentioned in an earlier comment I just may write a prequel and/or sequel. I have some ideas but that is not enough. I will let those bounce around in my head (plenty of space there) and in due time something may come out of it provided I get the right feeling.

Thanks for posting this

I love this story. It's a perfect short story with a great ending.

--AReader

And Then There Was That Time

. . .that Clark went to the office Halloween party dressed as Superman; and Jimmy said, "Did you get contacts?"

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Darius figured it out.

Daphne Xu's picture

"you can tell Andrew that today I had this great day with Amy." "Andrew was in no way involved so he has nothing to worry about. "

Darius realized that he was dating the real Amy Amstel.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

I missed this

This felt very strange for a Bru story. I was certain from a very earlier point that Andrew actually was Amy. Possibly because this is a Bru story. But usually Bru's twists take me by surprise, even though I am expecting a twist, and this one didn't.

I do keep varying the twistedness of my stories

Also, sometimes the twists have become rather contrieved.

Of course this story was only to set the stage to really get you next time when you all think you have outsmarted me once again then I ....
(demented laughter)

Usually

Rose's picture

Usually, you take me in. This time, I had it figured from the start. It was a surprise when I found I was right, as I didn't expect to be.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

snerks

I wondered, and it turns out I was right. He really is her !

DogSig.png

Amy Amstel Light

Sabrina G Langton's picture

Very nice love it... Love a romantic story and especially a perfect date...