Rose the Bunny

Printer-friendly version

Rose the Bunny

Rosey Red gave me this idea. Make of it what you will.

His name wasn't Scrooge, but it might as well had been.

His actual name was Richard Rose, and throughout the small town he lived in, there was no one richer, but no one less kind or less generous.

And yet there was one person who wanted nothing more than to see his heart soften.

Her name was Penny, and every night she prayed for him, saying “Somebody must have hurt Mr. Rose, which is why he’s so mean. So God, heal his heart.”

Penny knew his unkindness firsthand, because she was the daughter of Rachel Rose, sister to Richard, and was the niece of the man himself.

His treatment of her was no worse than his treatment of anybody else, but little better. Despite this, she pitied him rather than hated him, and so prayed for him each and every night.

The December of that year seemed darker and colder to Penny, so as Christmas approached she spent as much of her time huddling inside as she could. Thus when the doorbell rang on December 24 she ran to answer it, as much to relieve her boredom as any other reason.

At the door was a package, with her name on it.

She grabbed the package and showed it to her mother, saying, “Look, mom. Uncle Richard sent me a Christmas present!”

Her mother looked at the package, and replied, “It seems so. I never thought he would do such a thing without three ghosts visiting him.”

“I can't wait to open it.” Penny exclaimed.

“Tomorrow” He mother stated firmly.

For Penny, the hours seemed to crawl by, but eventually it was Christmas day.

She leapt out of bed, dashed down the stairs, and was sitting by the Christmas tree waiting for permission to open her present from her uncle.

Inside, she first found a paper that looked like an adoption record. It had her name as the new caregiver of a female rabbit named Rose.

Penny then pulled the toy rabbit out of the box, and held it up for her parents to see.

The toy rabbit was dressed in a purple Christmas dress, and even though Penny dutifly opened all her other presents, it was clear that Rose was going to be her favorite.

Since Rose was all dressed up, Penny decided to hold a tea party for the two of them, and that was only the first of the imaginary adventures that Penny would share with Rose.

The day past, as days must, and that night Penny took Rose to bed with her, and before she fell asleep she had shared all her hopes and fears with Rose.

More days went by, until it was New Year’s Eve, and Penny’s parents let her stay up to watch the ball drop, but as soon as they had cheered with the crowd, they sent her to bed.

That night, as Penny slept, a small ball of light entered the room. The ball of light floated above Penny, and then touched the toy rabbit.

Moments later, the light withdrew, and with it was a second light, slightly smaller than the first. Then the two lights left the room.

The two lights went across town, to the mansion owned by Richard Rose, and then to his bedroom, where his body lay, seemingly asleep. The smaller of the two lights entered Richard’s body, and the other faded from sight.

Richard woke with a start, and began to cry, but then the other light returned, and transformed into a beautiful woman, who called his name.

He got out of bed and looked at her, and managed to ask, “It was real, wasn’t it? I spent the last week as Penny’s toy rabbit?”

“Yes, my dear. Did you learn something?” the woman responded.

“I realized why I’ve been so closed off, so much into power and money. I had broken my heart, and shut down emotionally.” He managed.

“And what had broken your heart?” the woman pressed.

“I ... I felt like a girl, but I looked like a boy. And nobody took me seriously when I tried to talk about it. Finally, I just ... quit caring.”

The woman held open her arms, and Richard entered an embrace with her.

A lifetime of hidden pain and guilt came pouring out of Richard.

Much later, there was a phone call at Penny’s house.

Penny’s mother answered it, and even though Penny was mostly focused on the adventure she had devised for herself and Rose the bunny, she could tell that her mother was confused by the call. The phone conversation was followed by a discussion between Penny’s parents, until finally her mother came over to where she was playing.

“Penny, that was your uncle on the phone. He ... wanted us to know something before it became public knowledge.” Penny’s mother told her.

Penny put down Rose the bunny, and gave her mother her full attention, and asked, “What’s happening, Mom?’

“Your uncle told us ... I’m not sure how to put it, but your uncle has told us he plans to become a woman.”Penny’s mother said.

“Like that girl on TV, Jazz Jennings?” Penny asked.

“Yes, something like that.” Her mother replied.

“Well, I guess that explains why he was so sad. I’d be sad too if I had to pretend I was a boy.” Penny stated.

Penny’s mother smiled at her daughter’s easy acceptance of the situation, but she said, “Well, he wanted us to know, before he makes a public announcement. As soona s that happens, your friends may ask you questions, or maybe even tease you about it.”

“It will be ok, Momma. If they have questions I’ll tell them to ask an adult, and if they tease me, I’ll ignore them. If they do worse than tease, I’ll tell the teacher.” Penny responded.

As Penny had been told, a few days later, the reclusive multi-millionaire Richard Rose called a press conference, and wearing a rather pretty dress, announced to the world that Richard was no more, and she would be known as Rosalyn Rose from now on. Not only that, she was going to create the largest LGBT charity in history to help those like her who lacked the advantages she had. However, the part of the press conference that confused the most people was when she thanked her sister, and especially Penny, who had never given up on her.

Penny was not confused, because the night before, she had a dream where a small ball of light entered her room, turned into a woman. That woman showed how Rosalyn had spent the holidays as her toy bunny, and how that time had broken through the armor Roslyn had around her heart, and allowed her to acknowledge her true self.

So when Roslyn thanked her at the press conference, Penny smiled, and whispered a prayer consisting of two words: “Thank you.”

And up in the sky, a star-like light brightened, and then dimmed again.

End.

please let me know what you think ...

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awww

Amethyst's picture

Very sweet and touching Dot, and very much in the spirit of A Christmas Carol. Well done. See, I told you that you should post it ;)

*big hugs* Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Sniff, sniff

Darn dust, getting in my eyes.

Beautiful story.

thank you Ray

glad it could move you

DogSig.png

no need to hide

the story isn't THAT bad, surely ?

DogSig.png

Lovely

erin's picture

Thank you,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

no, thank you, Erin

I would be nowhere if it wasnt for this place.

DogSig.png

Oh my Sweet Lord

You made me weep tears of joy with this. A little girls faith helped a poor closed off suffering girl trapped in a mans body. What a beautiful Christmas story. You are a very talented woman. thank you for sharing this with us all. Sarah

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

Heee!

Page of Wands's picture

I'll be honest, this one had me thinking of my story, "Three Wishes", with a similar glowing lady meddling in things (for the better, of course). I'm glad to know she's keeping busy! ^_~

In all seriousness, though, I really enjoyed the story--very sweet! Thanks!

So sweet

Lucy Perkins's picture

I really love this story, and will put it on my Christmas reading list...It made me feel all gooey and warm.
Thank you so much for posting!
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Awww

You're so good at doing such sweet cute things ♥

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

why thank you so much

sweet and cute was what I was going for here.

DogSig.png

Definitely

Daphne Xu's picture

Dorothy is definitely wonderful at "sweet cute things". So are you going to try your hand at "sweet cute" sometime, Princess Chelsea?

I've tried it myself a few times. I like to think that I've even succeeded a time or two.

-- Daphne Xu

thanks, hon

boy, more praise. I'm gonna have to watch out that I dont get a swelled head!

DogSig.png

I loved it

Nyssa's picture

It was sweet and heartwarming. Timeless too. We all need more uplifting stories, especially now. Thanks for posting this.

God Bless Us Every One!

laika's picture
"Love makes you real." ~The Velveteen Rabbit

I'm a sucker for a good CHRISTMAS CAROL retelling, like this one or that beautiful one with the title all in Italian that Drea wrote. Both got me crying. Roslyn's amazing turn around shows us how people who aren't happy with themselves often aren't happy with anything and take it out on the world. I have a neighbor two houses away who wasn't a total storybook Scrooge but was a real grump, angry all the time and the last person I would have expected was trans. But when she came out it was like night and day; she's so much nicer that even neighbors who aren't particularly trans-accepting have to concede that they'd rather have Katie than J------- for a neighbor. (I'd always wanted someone transgender in real life I could talk to, and now I do. We don't hang out all the time but it's always great when we do.)

I would have liked more details about Roslyn's time as Penny's stuffed bunny and how weird that must have been at first, then experiencing Penny's pure unconditional love that led to her inner journey of transformation, her churlish miser's heart softening and her soul opening up to life, because that process is the story in my humbug opinion.

With the bunny theme this could have been AN EASTER CAROL if you'd used a slightly different timeline; Spring is traditionally a time of rebirth and renewal after all...
~hugs, Ronni
.

"Love makes you kosher." ~The Velveteen Rabbi

more details?

I'll try, but I've got a lot on my plate.

DogSig.png

very good story

thank you dorothy

thanks Jaci

huggles!

DogSig.png

Like Penny?

Andrea Lena's picture

You never gave up on me... <3

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Not the...

Daphne Xu's picture

Not the Easter Bunny, then. But how was Rosey to blame?

This was a nice, sweet, sentimental updating of "A Christmas Carol".

-- Daphne Xu

she gave me the original idea

I was having troubles thinking of what to write, and as we were talking on discord, she donated the seed for this story. so if you liked it, make sure you thank her !

DogSig.png

Rose the Bunny

Susy_Q's picture

I don't comment usually. I can't avoid it now. Left me with a tear in my eye. Thank you!

thank you very much

I'm glad you felt moved enough to leave a comment.

DogSig.png

Mysterious! But nice!

Aww! That was a nice story! Really has that short-story feel of events just occurring! Cool!

Nice all them Scrooge references! Mysterious angel-y woman thing is mysterious but so nice!