Speedway Demons -chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame in months 6. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are back and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 1
Darlington, South Carolina

The sounds of the 5.86 L V-8 engine rumbled throughout the speedway. On most days this would be nothing new, but today was special. Today the car thundering around the Lady in Black was experimental and the driver behind the wheel was out to break it. To the naked eye one would think that the racecar was a Mercedes-Benz ‘S’ class C217 coupé. It was one of four new regulation NASCAR stockcars that were at the track that day.

Down in the pits four full pit crews waited for the driver to finish her test run of the newest car. As had become their habit the members of the pit crew members were taking bets. There was also the usual trash talk among the four team. Though it was all done good fun. Mostly because of the backgrounds for the four teams. On one side was the NASCAR teams that had until recently only race in the United States. On the other was the former Formula One teams. Not that it matter in the long run. They were now all members of McGuire Racing Designs Incorporated LLC newest and brightest division McGuire International Racing. A onetime small but well respected racing design firm.

Now one of the fastest growing automotive racing firms in the world. All thanks to the driver that was currently wringing out the car on the track. For most the locals the driver was a hero in more ways than one. She was one of the local girls that made it big in Formula One racing. Now that she back home and getting back to her roots they were even prouder. Even though the young lady would be still be taking her driving skills around the world it would now be behind the wheel of a NASCAR spec stockcar.

I rounded turn 4 of the Lady in Black and head for the start/finish on the front straightway. I could tell that this totally new setup was perfect for intermediate speedways, like Darlington. I know that these cars will have more than a few eyes on them over the next six months. Even the cars that were setup for Superspeedways were of a totally new design. I go down low to take turn 1 at speed. The unusually warm spring afternoon had turned the track into a nasty piece of work. As usual I only race the track and nothing else. I learned that deadly lesson before I ever took part in my first real race in a Formula One racer.

My radio crackles. “Okay Bobbie, back her down and bring her in. we’re done for the day.”

“Copy that mom. Is Beth going run another few laps?” I quickly ask mom.

“Not today kiddo. Your dad and the rest of the mechanics are going to be working overtime tonight. It seems that her transmission will need to be broken down completely. You were right about those gears we got from Hess.” Mom told me as I started breaking for turn 3.

“I take it that I wasn’t the only one that was having problems with fourth gear slipping?” I asked her.

“You could say that kiddo. She’s been raising hell with Chief Hailee from the time she pulled to a stop.” Sighed mom over the radio.

I geared down for the pit road exit and braked even harder. I also hit the kill switch for the engine and let car free roll. As I come to a stop in my pit my pit crew are already coming over the wall. My jack man, Danny Hailee was dropping my window net. I took off my helmet and handed it to the young man who has been such a vital part of my team with a smile.

“Take it easy there Bobbie. We don’t need you hurting yourself climbing out of a proper racecar.” Danny joked as I struggled to climb out of the car.

“Oh, stuff it Danny. It’s not my fault that I got used to open cockpit cars.” I grumbled as I finally stood up straight. “It’s not like I’ve had much practice with stockcars these last two years.”

“We know Bobbie. It’s just too much fun giving you a hard over it to pass it up.” Steve chuckled as he and the other members of my pit crew gathered around. “Though you’re not the only one who has had to learn new skills.”

I looked at the six members that make up my pit crew. Of the original twenty person team that made up my Formula One pit crew only these six still worked on my car during a race. Danny Hailee is the jack man. He raises each side of the car so that the tires can be replaced. He is, also, responsible for pulling the old right rear tire from the car after the rear tire changer loosens the lug nuts.

Cassy, his wife, of five months now is the front tire changer. She only changes the front tires. Her job is to remove the lug nuts, then she removes the old tire, and tightens the new tire's lug nuts.

The rear tire changer is Sherry Smoke. She changes only the rear tires. She removes the lug nuts first, then removes the old tire, and tightens the new tire's lug nuts. Her husband is the gas man. Greg Smokes is my gas man he fills the car with gasoline with a specially designed gas can.

Joseph Chamberlin is my front tire carrier. He brings the new front tires over the pit wall and guides them onto the studs. He also rolls the old front tires to the pit wall after the front tire changer pulls them from the car. My rear tire carrier is Will Hackney and he is responsible for bringing new rear tires over the pit wall.

I know that having two women on my pit crew will get us a lot of grief, but I really don’t give a shit. Beth has the same setup in here pit crew that I do but we won’t abandon people who’ve proven themselves to us. We didn’t get ride of the other members of our old pit crew. They just moved on to other positions within the company. Mom and dad have even sent some to that engineering school up north to learn more about engines, transmissions, fabrication, car design, everything under the sun when it comes to racecars. Only the original core of fourteen are left as our pit crew members. Two Crew Chiefs, and twelve crew members.

“I know what you mean Danny. I just can’t get use to the feeling of climbing in and out of a window.” I chuckled. “It’s so much easier climbing out of a seat with no roof over my head.”

“Hay, well, you’ll be thanking whatever god of speed you pray to the first time you rollover at Tally or Pocono, Bobby.” Jim Fields one of our team’s regular NASCAR divers from last year. He and Sam Hurley had spent the last year as rookies in the Sprint cup series.

“He’s not shitting you Bobbie. I thought I was going to buy the farm last year in the wreck. You’ll come to appreciate that roll cage as well the first time someone slams into you at one-eighty.” Sam told me honestly.

I just chuckled. “Trust me guys. I already do appreciate that roll cage. You forget I’ve had a few nasty wrecks in Formula One. Ones where is wished that I had more than just the crush points and reinforced cockpit to save my ass. I thought that I was going to buy it during my wreck at Silverstone last season. If it hadn’t been for those crush points, I know I wouldn’t have walked away with only a broken arm and bruised ribs.”

“Speaking of that wreck. How’s McNair doing?” Jim asked with real concern for a fellow driver. Even if he was a Formula One driver.

“He’s back at it and giving the younger drivers on his team grief.” I chuckled as I thought about the English gentleman. “I swear that they’ll have to pry his cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.”

“Damn girl. You make it sound like he’s the only driver that ever gave you any real competition on the circuit.” Sam joked.

“Nah, it’s nothing like that Sam. It’s just that he was one of the first drivers to show me and Beth any real respect.” I told Sam with a smile. “Trust me guys. When we start racing those monkey nuts that came over from Formula One, you’ll see what I mean. None them showed me and Beth an ounce of respect when we first started out. It took us beating their happy asses on the tracks and tying for Rookie of the year to earn their respect.”

“She's not kidding, boys. You’ll see what she’s talking about next weekend at Talladega.” Jake Slone told them about as he walked up. He held out a sheet of paper to the three of us smiling. “Bobbie, we got the final schedule in this morning. Looks like my guys will be starting off the season with an edge. Think you’re up to taking them on?”

I just smirked. As I took my copy of the schedule from his hand. “I’m not the one you need to be asking that question of Chief Stone. My question is can your two numb nuts act like gentlemen in front of the Corporate Sponsors next Friday night at the meet and greet?”

As if to underscore my point Sam spit a wade of tobacco juice on the ground. At my exasperated look Cassy, Sherry, Lisa, and Shelly giggled. The guys on my pit crew chuckled. Slow Jake Slone just chuckled while Chief Hailee and Marks snickered. Sam and Jim just gave me a WTF look.

Sighing I gave them both a piece of advice. “Look guys, next Friday night is the meet and greet. Unlike in NASCAR this is going to be a real Black Tie affair. I’m talking about champagne, caviar, and high-heels. I know what you’re thinking but understand that this is part of the world you’ve joined. The people you’ll be meeting are millionaires, no let me correct that, billionaires. They’re the real jet setting crowd. They’re also the ones that put the bucks in our Buck Rogers.”

“Damn, you make it sound like we’re racing in the Formula One circuit or something, Bobbie.” Jim bitched. “We’re Stockcar racers. We bump and grind. Trade paint, going three wide into turn three, at one-eighty. We don’t do the whole road course thing that often.”

“Listen up you two shit birds. The International Stockcar Association is NASCAR in a tuxedo and cocktail dress with high heels. The days of the good old boys hanging out in the pits are over. And with the France family out of the way those rich cocksuckers in the jet setting crowd are our bread and butter. They get their noses bent out of joint at the sign of a redneck attitude.” I told them both harshly. “I learned my lesson in my first year on the Formula One circuit. Take the advice and lose the country boy mentality when off the track. When you’re racing all bets are off. Got it?”

Sam and Jim looked at each other, then over at Slow Jack who just nodded his head. Taking a deep breath Jim asked. “Um… Bobbie, do you think you can teach me and Sam how to not make fools of ourselves?”

“You’re asking the wrong person Jim. I’ll get a hold of Issy, Bobbie.” Mom said as she walked up to our small group pulling out her cell phone. Within minutes she was dialing the number from memory. “Issy I got a code ten. Yeah you heard me right, code ten. No, not for the girls. I need social etiquette classes for two drivers and their pit crews. Yes, I know this is short notice, Issy. Yes, I’ll pay the damned surcharge for emergency services. Of course. Yes, complete style makeover for the drivers as well. When can you get here? Yes, that’ll be fine. Thank you Issy.”

After she hung up, I had to ask. “When is the Mad Frenchwoman landing mom?”

“She’ll be here tomorrow.” Looking over at Jim and Sam mom got an evil grin on her face. “You two need to tell you’re girlfriends to be at the shop on Tuesday at nine. You’ll both be getting style makeovers curtesy of our sponsors and Madame Isabella La Fayette. Oh, and you’ll also be receiving training in etiquette from her as well. Before you ask because your girlfriends will be accompanying you to the races and social events. They’ll also be receiving makeovers and lesson from the Madam. Understood? I’ll not have you or your girlfriends make fools of yourselves in front of those uppity snobs that pay the bills.”

I chuckled at how mom cowed our newest drivers. Then she turned her number 1 ‘I’m disappoint in you’ mom look on me. “Don’t worry mom. I promise not to lose my cool like I did last year.”

“What did she do that was bad, Mrs. Jewels?” Sam asked.

“Oh, she went and dropped kicked another driver in the nuts at a Sponsor party.” Mom sighed. “It would have been so bad if she hadn’t been wearing high heels and a cocktail dress at the time.”

“Oh man I remember that one. Though you got to admit Jewels that Caldaria had it coming after what he pulled. If it had been me, I would have ripped the fucker’s head off after I had bet the shit out of him with his own arm.” Tony snarled as he walked with Beth. “Guys, one more piece of advice. If your girlfriends are with you at these functions stay with them. Some of these Euro trash Romeos think that any girl at one of these parties is a pro if they’re being escorted by someone. And therefore, fair game.”

“Is that what happened with Bobbie? One of them get too friendly?” Jim chuckled as he thought about how that went down with me.

“Nope. He went after Kelly. Right in front of Beth and me. Bobbie had gone to get them something to drink and the guy wasn’t taking the hint to back off.” Tony explained for Sam and Jim.

I just sighed as I thought about that night and the hell my actions raised with the Marshals. Caldaria was rookie and thought he was God’s gift to women. He had pissed off more than a few of the other drivers with his constant flirting. More than a few of the wives had gone to the Marshals to do something about the man. The problem was outside of the racetrack they really couldn’t do much. So, when he didn’t take the hint to leave Kelly alone, I took matters into my own hands. Both at the party and on the track during the race on Sunday. He still hasn’t found a new ride. Team Owners and Sponsors aren’t willing to back a driver that can’t behave themselves and wreck million dollar cars.

“Enough about that shithead. Have you seen this schedule mom?” I asked her.

“You mean the twenty races in twelve countries, in six months on three continents? Yes, I’ve seen it. I’m actually surprised that we were able to get that many overseas tracks ready in time. A few of those tracks had to be rebuilt, extended, resurfaced, or just flat-out built from scratch. Especially those superspeedways were an unexpected surprise.” Mom smiled.

As I looked down the list, I was surprised at the way we were bouncing around for the next six months. Then I thought about all the logistics that went into an international auto racing circuit. Jim and Sam must have been thinking the same thing as Jim cleared his throat. “Excuse me, Miss Jewels, but why are we holding some races on back to back weekends. While with others there’s a two week break between races?”

“I got this one mom.” I said with a slight chuckle. “Jim, Sam, I know that you guys aren’t use to the massive logistic headache that comes with running international racing. So, this is what I want you two to think about. If we race in Darlington on Sunday how long does it take to get to Charlotte? What a few hours by eighteen wheeler? Now, how long does it take that same eighteen wheeler to go from here to Fontana? Three days with team drivers. Now you just can’t transport a thirty-four-hundred pound car like it was nothing. These Stockcars are totally deferent than the Formula One cars the team normally transports for overseas races. They don’t breakdown the way that the F-One cars do. We can’t put two of them into a normal cargo plane like we can the F-One cars. We would be going good to just get one loaded.”

“So, you’re saying that we ship two cars ahead to the next race. We always have at least one pair of cars moving towards the race on the schedule. Just so we stay current with the schedule. Is that it?” Jim asked.

“Yup, got it one Jimbo.” I said proudly. I knew that the slow dumb redneck act he always put on was just that, an act.

“Well, speaking of air transport, Roberta. That is no longer a problem. It seems that the IRA was been able to secure forty Lockheed L-100J Super Hercules. They’re the civilian version of the military C-130 style cargo aircraft. They have all been purchased from various governments around the world. We’ll be able to airlift our cars and equipment as usual. Like we did when you girls were racing Formula One.” Mom told me proudly.

“Wow! The folks in charge are really going all out to get this new racing league going with a bang. What’s driving them so hard Miss Jewels?” Sam asked my mom with more than a surprise. Truth to tell he wasn’t the only one who want to know the answer to that question.

“You boys haven’t been exposed to the International racing scene the way that Bobbie and Beth have I’m not surprised by that question. While Formula One has been the dominant racing force internationally. There has always been an obsession with Stockcar racing in the other countries of the world. Only in the United States has it ever been the premier automotive sport. Basically because of its roots in the old bootlegger and moonshine runners communities. Our nation has always been the underdogs, the unwanted mutts in the pound, the junkyard dogs no wants to take home. It was natural for a society like ours to fall in love with such outlaws when they came out to race. To the rest of the international racing community NASCAR has always been this band of rowdy drunken country bumkins.” Mom chuckled as she described how the rest of the world felt about NASCAR drivers. “It’s not until they try their hand at places like Talladega, Daytona, or Bristol that they realize just how hard it is to push a thirty-five-hundred pound stockcar to limits and still keep it under control.”

“Which is something that you’ll have over half the other drivers in this new league, guys. Even if last season was kind of screwy. You’re still not going into the new league as rookie Stockcar drivers.” I pointed out then chuckled. “Unlike me. I get to wear that yellow warning stripe on my bumper.”

When the guys and gals of my team heard me make the comment about wearing the rookie stripe, they all laughed. They knew that I had been testing my mom and dad’s designs for years. I’ve driven every type of racecar there is around Darlington Speedway in the last six years, with one exception, a top fuel dragster. The quarter mile just has no appeal for me.

“Roberta Lee McGuire, of all the drivers that are coming over from the Formula One, Indy, Drift, Touring, Rally, and INDRO. You and Beth are the last ones that should be sporting those yellow bands.” Tony said with a smile and chuckle. “The two of you can out drive nine out of ten NASCAR drivers on the track today, and I’m not just blowing smoke.”

“Tony’s only telling the truth Bobbie. Me and Sam kept getting asked when the two McGuire sisters were get their acts together and return home to NASCAR.” Jim said a snarky smile. “More than a few of them wanted a shot at you two on a ‘real’ race track.”

I could almost see the air quotation marks around ‘real race track’. I just had to chuckle right along with Beth and the rest of the former F-1 crew. We had been putting chuckleheads in their places for the last two years. We had heard more than once that we needed to go back to where we belong from other F-1 drivers in our first year. Last year we weren’t exactly welcomed with open arms, but we were respected as equals. It might have been for the fact that we had beaten most of them more than once the year before.

Before I could say anything, mom’s radio crackled. “Mrs. McGuire, your daughter-in-law is here. Should we send her on in?”

I looked at Chief Hailee and grabbed his left arm looking at his wristwatch. “Ah, shit! She’s going to kill!”

“Send in her Bill. Tell her to come straight to the pit area please.” Mom said into the radio as she gave me the ‘I’m disappointed in you’ mom look. “Were you supposed to pick up my grandchildren from daycare, dear?”

I just bowed my head. “Yes ma’am.”

The smack to the back of the head came fast and furious. “How the hell could you forget something like?!”

“Damn it mom! It’s not my fault you had to have another run this afternoon.” I bitched as I rubbed the back of my head.

“Don’t go placing the blame on me, young lady. Those twins may be my grandchildren, but they’re your children and responsibility.” Mom snapped.

“Give the girl a break Jewels. She would have been on time to pick up the babies if you hadn’t had to have that last run.” Dad said coming to my defense. “Bobbie you’re not in trouble with you lovely wife. I called Kelly and let her know to pick the girls up when your mother called for the additional test run. She had her mother pick them up and bring over to the office on her break.”

“Thanks dad.” I said blushing. My greatest achievement in the last two years wasn’t tying with my sister for rookie of the year. It wasn’t graduating from high school early with top honors. It wasn’t winning a Formula One racing contract at only eighteen. It wasn’t even placing fourth in the driver’s championship. It wasn’t marrying my high school sweetheart either. It was the twin baby girls she graced me with last year. They’re be two by the end of the new racing season.

“Have you kids looked into getting a Nanny for when you’re out of the country?” Mom asked rather pointedly.

“Looked and rejected. Kelly won’t be going to any of the overseas races.” I raised my hand. “It was her decision mom. I had no input on her choice. She said something about not exposing the girls to foreign germs until they’re old enough to handle the changes in air pressure during flight.”

“She has a point Jewels. A damned good one. I agree with the girls keeping the twins here at home for another two or three years.” Dad said honestly.

“Oh, I agree Bob, I’m just surprised that we didn’t need to pond it in to the concrete block that is our child’s head.” Mom said with a nasty grin. I just blow her a razzberry and stick my nose in the air. “Go get changed honey. I know that you and Kelly have plans tonight.”

Needless to say, that got the team laughing again. Of all those that are a part of MIR few of us aren’t married to another member of the team. I know that every one of the girls on the pit crews are married to one of the guys on the same crew. In any other sport this might be a problem but with us it works. The marriages seem to have pulled the pit crews tighter together. In a matter of months, mine and Beth’s pit crews have gone from two of the best pit crews in Formula One to crews that can compete with the best in NASCAR.

I think about how much the teams have changed over the last year as I head for the team trailer to change. In a matter of months, they had gotten their pit time averages down to 14.3 seconds. That is four tires, and gas in less time than it takes most people to make a cup of coffee. It also places them in the top 17 pit crew times. I know that it nothing like the 2 second spots they were pulling off in Formula One, but that was a totally deferent style of pit spot. For starter in F1 they could be standing ready in the pit area waiting for me to pull to a stop. In NASCAR they have to come over the pit row wall first. Then only after I’ve pulled into the pit box.

Sure, the time doesn’t start until I’ve come to a full stop but that doesn’t matter. This is a totally deferent style of racing and the pit stops reflect that. I got 5 people doing what used to be done by 14 people. I also wasn’t having to worry about someone dumping 10 to 12 gallons of fuel into the car at the same time. Then there is the fact that unlike in F1 the Stockcar races take anywhere between 3 to 4 to run with an average of 400 to 500 laps on tracks that average around 2 miles in length. Stockcar races are a matter of endurance, skill, and a lot of luck.

Most people believe that Stockcar races are won solely on the track. Some people believe that the races are solely won in the pits. That’s not true. They’re won on both the track and in the pits. One bad pit stop, and you lose the race just as surely as if you put your car into the wall on one of the turns. A blown tire can ruin your day in a hurry at 180mph.

I had just gotten my NOMEX off and was down to my panties and bar when I hear Kelly’s voice calling. “Hi mom. Guys.”

I quickly wipe off the sweat from wearing the heavy personal protection clothing, pull on a pair of riding socks and my trademark tan breeches. I pair them with a light pink polo blouse, and my usual lace-up paddock boots. I quickly run a brush through my now mid-back length hair and pull it into a ponytail at the top of my head. I don’t put on much makeup, just enough to let people know that I’m a grown woman. I double check to make sure my secret is hidden and head outside to find Kelly.

“I know that Bobbie would love to have us with her at every race, mom. I just can’t endanger the girls by exposing them to all those deferent diseases around the world at such a young age.” I heard Kelly say as I stepped out the trailer. “I know that I’m just being overprotective but with everything that has happened over the last year. I’m not taking any chances.”

“We understand dear. Bob and I totally agree with your decision. Are you going to be at any of the races dear?” Mom asked her as I walked up.

“Oh, sure mom. I’ll be at all of the races here stateside. My mom and dad have already made plans to take time off for those weekends. I just need a copy of the finalized schedule for them.” Kelly answered brightly. “They’re going to take the babies for those weekends.”

“Yeah, love.” I said right before kissing her check and giving her a hug. “Sorry about not picking up the girls.”

Kelly just chuckled. “Don’t worry love. I had made arrangements with my mom and dad when I saw the schedule in the office this morning. So, when your dad called to tell me that your mother had you making an additional test run, I just went ahead and called mom. The girls are asleep in their seats.”

I looked over at her Jeep Gladiator sitting next to my Dodge Viper. Of the two, her Gladiator was our ‘family car’. We used it for more than just making grocery store and errands around town. It was the real work horse for our farm as well. Sure, I also have a F-350 dually for work around the farm but we use the Gladiator most often because Kelly has the child car safety seats. It’s way too big of a hassle moving them between the two trucks.

“Thanks, babe. I’m still sorry about letting time get away from me like that.” I sighed as I apologized.

Mom and Kelly both chuckled. “Roberta Lee McGuire, I love you with all my heart. You only have one real fault.”

“Oh, what’s that? I would have thought that I have more than one.” I countered with a cock of my head to one side.

Kelly chuckled before answering. “When you get behind the wheel of a high performance racecar you get tunnel vision. You see the track and the track only. It’s not a bad thing in a racecar driver of your caliber and puts the roof over our little family’s heads. But it’s a royal pain in the ass in a husband. Especially when you lose all track of time. Like today.”

“She’s right love. The intensity and focus that you bring to your driving is unlike any driver that I’ve seen in years. I think that only your sister can match it when you two go head to head.” Mom looked out at the track smiling. “And after two years in Formula One you girls will show the world your skill and focus on speedways like our Lady here.”

“Right now, mom, all I want to do is race. I’ll take each track one at a time. We both know that no two speedways are the same. They may be laid out in similar manners, but that is where the similarities end.” I told her as I thought about the tracks we would be racing on.

“That’s true, mom.” Beth said as she and Tony walked up. She had already changed clothes the way I had. “Have you seen the layout for that new tri-oval outside Mosco? It’s almost as bad as Pocono.”

“Yes, dear I have. To think that the world now has not one but three true tricky triangles. Until now, Stockcar teams have only had to worry about Pocono. Not that is not the case with the ISA. We have to deal with Mosco, Lausitzring, and Pocono. All three tricky triangles.” Mom sighed then grinned. “And we get to kick off the inaugural season on the nastiest of the Superspeedway triangles, Pocono.”

“Have we gotten any word on the other new tracks, Kelly?” I asked my wife.

“Sadly, no. The only tracks that we any real solid data on is the ones here in the States.” Kelly answered me shaking her head. “As far as the ones overseas go. Well, let’s just say that we’ve got only bits and pieces. Nothing we can use to build a comprehensive race strategy with.”

That was Kelly’s new job. She was the team’s strategist. It was her job to find out as much as she can about the other teams, the tracks, and put together a plan for racing them. She’s done a fantastic job so far. We know about the other 36 drivers and where they came from. Of those 36 drivers only 12 were coming over from NASCAR. The rest was made up of 10 F1 drivers, 6 Indy drivers, 5 Rally drivers, and 3 IROC drivers. The Indy, IROC, and NASCAR, are the only ones that are being considered veteran drivers by the new league. And by Stockcar rules they are.

That’s the other kicker when it comes to the new league. They’re actually using NASCAR rules and regulations. I look back over at four of the cars that make our team. I had to giggle at the sponsors displayed there. When word got out that the Furies of Formula One were switching over to the ISA. We had offers from fast-food chains, toy companies, Outdoor Outfitters, boot manufacturers, clothing lines especially those for young women and teenage girls. The one that I’m sporting is for Horze Equestrian wear. Ever sense I started to dress as a girl their clothing line have been my go to supplier for just about everything I wear.

I was brought out of my daydreaming by a Kelly’s next words. “I do have some news on the Reynolds team. They had to replace three of their drivers over the weekend. At least for the first five races.”

“What the hell happened?” I asked in shock.

“Roy Shatner, Stephon Garcia, and Taras Krupin wiped out on turn four of Tally.” At my look of pure dismay Kelly explained what happened. “They had the whole team out practicing drafting and running in a pack when Shatner blew his right front tire and lost control. With the exception of Lars Brant, they all plowed in on the front straightway. It was bad Bobbie. Shatner, Garcia, and Krupin were air flighted out to the nearest hospital. From the reports that I’m getting are half true they won’t be back until Australia.”

“Damn. I really like those guys. For a bunch of Rally racers there not bad guys.” I sighed as I was really looking forward to racing against them. “Kelly find out which hospital they’re in. Send them something nice please.”

“Sure love, I’ll take care of it first thing in the morning. Now do you want the shitty news?” Kelly asked with a grin. One that I have come to know as a warning sign that I’m not about to like what I’m about to hear. “They got your old playmates Fontana, Caldera, and Hershel to fill in.”

The second I heard who Reynolds Racing Corp got to be their replacement drivers Beth and I started laughing. Even mom joined in laughing with Kelly. It was true poetic justice. Those three monkey nuts had caused me and Beth no end in problems during our first year in F1. I even remember how I challenged them to try racing on one of MASCAR’s speedways. Now, after two years those three morons are going to come after me on my home turf.

Dad walked up just then with Chiefs Hailee, Marks, Jack, and Bill Stone. Dad asked politely. “What’s got your funny bones going people?”

“It’s nothing special dad. We just found out who we’ll be racing against on Sunday. Would you believe that Fontana, Caldera, and Hershel are going to race us at the tricky triangle?” Beth asked between breaths.

“Oh, good Lord. Not those three again.” Chief Marks grumbled.

“Damn it I thought we were done dealing with those asshats two years ago.” Chief Hailee bitched out right.

“Okay, I’ll ask for Bill and me. Who are these shit sticks in question?” Slow Jake asked as he wiped some grease from his hands with a rag.

“Yah, no joke. Who are they? The way Beth and Bobbie are laughing and the way those two are talking about them there must be some story here.” Bill Stone asked with more than a little curiosity.

“Two years ago, our darlings of the raceway got into a heated debate with those three drivers before their first race. Our favorite two trouble makers went and throw down a challenge to every last driver at the first meet and greet. They asked all those veteran Formula One drivers to take on Darlington, Talladega, Dayton, or any of the superspeedways in a Stockcar.” Dad chuckled as he remembered that party and the events that brought about my outburst. “If I remember right Bobbie actually said something about dancing three wide at one-eighty going into turn three at Talladega.”

“Bob if I remember it correctly your youngest daughter did more than challenge those three chuckleheads. If I’m not mistaken, she also threatened to put their happy asses into the wall in the same breath.” Chief Hailee chuckled as he talked about that party.

“Damn. Now we know where their ‘bad girl’ reps came from. If they were making those types of comments to the other drivers. It’s a bloody fucking miracle they did all gang up on their asses.” Bad Billy chuckled. “Though with the way they drove last year and the year before it won’t have mattered.”

“Little brother, you should’ve spent more time around Bobbie when she came by our shop. She could teach you and the rest of our old club a thing or two about rat racing. She’s no ordinary driver.” Slow Jake confirmed. “And her older sister is just as hot behind the wheel. The McGuire sisters have an unbroken record of wins on the roads of this county. The only competition they have is each other.”

“And you can take that to the bank Chief Billy. Ever last member of the Darlington Knights have tried to beat them and failed. The same goes for just about every last club for the surrounding six counties.” Tony told the newest Crew Chief to join our small racing firm.

“His telling it straight, Billy. The girls got skills they’ve yet to tap.” Mom said with a sly smile. “Until now.”

“As much as I would love to stand around here and toot my own horn. Me and Kelly need to be going. We’ve still got a stop to make.” I told them all.

“What’s up Bobbie?” Tony asked.

“We’ve an appointment with Sharron this afternoon.” I told them only to get a strange look from mom and dad. I had been to see Doctor Sharron Kelly in over a year. For me to just suddenly have an appointment took them by surprise. “Don’t worry mom. Sharron just wants to talk to us about something for the kids in USMC.”

“GO! Take your Viper.” Dad ordered. “We’ll take care of the kids.”

I just smiled and Kelly snickered. Dad had just told me to burn up the road between here and Doc Sharron’s office. I give them both a kiss goodbye and Kelly does the same before handing mom her keys. It would take us about 30 minutes to reach Doc Sharron’s at this time of day. Not that it would matter. Once I was behind the wheel of my Viper I would have us there in 20.

As I pull out the sounds of Judas Priests’ Freewheel Burning sound from my car’s speakers. Kelly automatically grabbed her five point harness and strapped herself in tight. She knew that I would be pulling more than a few drifts on my way to Doc Sharron. I just can’t help myself any more. After going 90mph plus on some of the fastest road course of the world I just have to push my Viper to her limits.

As I pull my first drift exiting the Speedway grounds Kelly starts calling out the turns. She knows that I would never drive this way with the kids in the car. Well, I should say when we’re in her car. Whenever we take mine and it’s only us then she gets just as excited as I do. Kelly is one of the best Spotters there is anywhere. She can call a race almost as fast as anyone.

I know of only two Spotters that are better Kathy Hall and her mom. Those two women can spot the slightest change in track conditions and relay that information to me and Beth with such clarity that it’s scary. I don’t know how many times they’ve saved either me or Beth from running head long into a wreck. The way they can guide us to the perfect line is unbelievable. It doesn’t matter what else is going on, on the track. They always found us a clear line through traffic. I know that part of it was the way they were out there running the tracks every chance they got. It didn’t matter what the weather was at the time. Rain or shine they ran those tracks.

Their dedication to their morning runs gave our team a major advantage that none of the other teams’ Spotters could dream of having. It still amazes me the way those two can read a track. Even here on our home track they’ve been able to spot new lines. Lines that are so clean it’s not even funny.

Kelly spots the local police cruiser in time. I slow down to the posted speed limit as I curse pass him. “Thanks for the warning love.”

“No problem. That’s what I’m here for. Got any idea what Doc Sharron wants us to do for the kids?” Kelly never liked talking about the children on the cancer ward of USMC. For her it brought unwelcomed fears.

“If I were to hazard a guess. She wants to ask me to visit the HOSPIC ward.” I told her honestly. I had had more than one request form the Make Wish and Dreamweaver foundations over the last year.

“Oh.” Kelly got really quiet. “Do you think you might know who the kid is?”

This time I sighed heavily. “I probably do.”

“Roberta, I don’t ask a lot of you. You give so much of yourself as it is.” I knew where Kelly was going with this the moment, she used my first name instead of Bobbie. “I know you do these visit for the kids. But you have a race in three days. Those visits always screw with your head for a week at least afterwards. You can’t have something like that screwing with your head going into a race like. It’ll.”

I interrupt her right there. “Kelly, I love you with all my heart, but this is one time that if Sharron asks, I’ll do it. As for the race this weekend, I’ll be fine.”

Kelly just sighed and did dropped the topic for now. I knew that she would be climbing up my ass once our visit with Sharron was over. After parking in front of her office I double checked my look in the mirror. I know that I’ve gotten a bit vain in the last two years. The problem is thanks to my profession I’ve become a real public figure. I made the mistake one time of not wearing makeup or having my hair brushed out. I had been working on the farm’s tractor and needed a part. Not think I just pulled on a baseball cap and jumped into the truck.

Any way some jackass took a picture of my grease and oil smudged face while I was at the parts store and posted it. Talk about grabbing headlines for bullshit. The tabloids had a field with that one photo for a month. It got my sponsors on my ass big time. There are times when having Mercedes-Benz as a sponsor can be a royal fucking pain. Especially when I have to deal with the granddames of the company. The result of that one incident is I now always double check my appearance before leaving my car.

We hadn’t gotten through the door good before Maggie waved to us from the reception desk. “Bobbie, Kelly, head on back. I already called Sharron to let her know you’re here.”

“Okay, Maggie this is one time that I got to know how you do it?” Kelly asked. “I know that you can’t the parking lot from this desk.”

Maggie just giggled and pointed to her computer secondary monitor. “I get the video feeds for the security cameras thanks to our tech guys.”

“You know that’s cheating.” Kelly snarked.

“Like your lovely wife is so fond of saying. If you ain’t cheating.” Maggie start off with Kelly and me joining in. “You ain’t trying hard enough.”

About that Doctor Sharron Kelly walked out into the lobby. “It sounds like my favorite trouble makers are here. Come on back girls.”

Kelly and I follow Sharron back to her office. As usual Sharron is dressed nicely in a skirt and blouse combo with modest heel pumps. As we enter her office, I’m brought up short by the newest poster on her wall of fame. It was one of me and Beth standing in front of new Stockcars. Those posters haven’t been out for more than two weeks. I had to know how she got her hands on one them already.

“Okay Sharron. How did you get that one?” I said pointing at the poster.

“Your mother had the first one-hundred sent to me. That one is number one of a hundred.” Sharron reached behind her desk and pulled out a one inch thick flat box. “I got the next ninety-nine in this.”

“Holy Shit!” Kelly exclaimed. “I hope that you don’t Bobbie to sign all of those?! We’ll be here all night.”

Sharron chuckled before putting the box back behind her desk. “No, Kelly that is not why I asked you here.” Sharron took a deep breath and sighed. “Bobbie, do you remember Lee O’Neil?”

It took me a minute to remember the boy’s face. The last time I had seen him was in the lobby 14 months ago and he was in remission. He was the picture of health for someone who had just battle back from a third round of chemo therapy. “What happened Sharron?”

“His cancer has returned. This time his doctors are afraid of giving him another round of chemo.” At my look of confusion Sharron sighed. “It’s his immune system Bobbie. It hasn’t had time to fully recover. Another round of chemo will most likely kill the boy.”

“Ah shit.” I knew exactly what Sharron was getting at now. “All they can do for him now is pain management. How long does he have?”

“Six to seven months at the most.” I knew that Sharron was being honest. She never bullshits one of her patients. I may not be one of her regular patients any more but she still took the occasional call or visit from me. “He was visited by the Make a Wish foundation last week.”

“Let me guess he asked for a visit from the pretty Formula One driver he met in your office. Am I right?” I asked already knowing the answer.

“Dead on the money. I know that you make occasional visits to the ward, but you have been there in the last four or five months. I know that you’ve been busy with gearing up for the new league.” I stopped Sharron there.

“I’ll do it. I’ll make the visit tomorrow.” Sharron smiled at hearing this.

“Thank you, Bobbie. I didn’t want to ask you as you’re more a of friend than patent anymore. I didn’t want to abuse that friendship.” Sharron told me honestly. “Whatever you want in return just ask.”

“Sharron, how many of the kids currently on the ward can travel?” I asked quickly as a thought came to me. “I’m even talking about the ones that would need medical attention to travel.”

“Roberta Lee McGuire, you’re up to something.” Kelly smiled already knowing my shift in attitude. “Spill already.”

“For the opening inaugural race each team has been offered a set number of seats in the grandstands. I know that between Beth and me I can get a hold of twenty seats. If I ask Sam and Jim, I might be able to get another ten seats. That’ll give me a total of thirty seats.” I explained with a smile. Kelly just took out her phone then started dialing as she got up and walked out of the office smiling the whole way.

“Bobbie what are you offering to do?” Sharron asked.

“Those kids are cooped up on that hospital ward twenty-four-seven. I think that a little fresh air and seeing forty Stockcars going all out at Pocono will do them all some good.” I said with a mile wide grin. “I’m willing to bet that the Make a Wish people never thought I’ll pull something this?”

Sharron sat there for all of two minutes open mouthed before busting out laughing. It took her a few minutes to get herself under control. “My god! Bobbie you never stop amazing me with your selflessness.”

“Yes, that would be perfect, sir. A whole section on the front straightaway close to the start/finish is more than I expected. Are you sure that this won’t cause problems? If you’re sure, then thank you so much. I’ll be sure to pass on the information to the necessary parties. Yes, sir. Yes, sir. No, I’m sure that will be fine with the drivers. No, I don’t see that as problem. Do you think that the other drivers will go along with the request? If you say so, sir. Once again thank you so much. Have a good day, sir.” Kelly came back in smiling. She end her call and looked over at Sharron. “You’ll never guess who I was just talking to?”

“I don’t need to guess. I can tell by the look on your face that you just pulled off a Publicity coup of the first order.” I chuckled.

“Sharron exactly how many children are on the cancer ward of USMC and the other hospitals in South Carolina?” Kelly asked with a smile.

“Let me think.” Sharron got a thoughtful look on her face then turned to her desktop. After a few key strokes she had her answer. “Right now, between them all there is a total of eighty some children. Why?”

“I need a list of all the ones that can travel even with nurses.” Kelly answered quickly.

“Those are the ones that can travel, Kelly. The others are just too sick for traveling or undergoing treatments that won’t let them travel.” Sharron said sadly. I knew that more than a few of her cases got to her at times. “Are you going to tell me what you’re to now?”

“Just make arrangements for those children to be at the nearest airports on Saturday. As for what I just got done arranging that’s simple.” Kelly grinned. “A whole section at Pocono for child cancer patients at the inaugural race of the International Stockcar Association.”

“Hold on here girls. Who’s going to pay for all this? I mean the airfare alone is going to be in the thousands.” Sharron stuttered.

Kelly just smiled as she answer. “Send the bill to the Commissioner for the ISA, Herr Wilfried Herwig.” Kelly took out a pen and notepaper. “Here’s his information. Just get the names to him. He’ll take care of the rest.”

Sharron just sat there looking at the two us. “As usual I ask for one thing, something simple, easy. A no muss, no fuss, favor. And what do you two do? Take it and flip it on its head coming up with something totally out of the park. Where do you come up with these ideas?”

“What can I say?” I asked. “We’re just that awesome.”

-----tbc-----

up
361 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel the need! The need for speed!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Awesome the McGuires are back. I can't wait to read the rest of the story. Looking good so far!

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Now what kind of trouble are

Now what kind of trouble are the girls going to get into next?
Thanks for the new story and something to look forward too.

Yay! WolfJess is back!

“We’re just that awesome.”

That describes the author too!

DogSig.png

It’s so good to see Bobbie and Company back!

D. Eden's picture

And I can’t wait to see how she deals with not just the Euro trash, but the asshole rednecks this time too!

Yeah, between the fact that my family is all south of the Mason-Dixon line, and having lived a large part of my life there myself - including some two years in the Carolinas AFTER transitioning, I know about dealing with rednecks. Just picture me in Jackson, Mississippi - that was fun, not!

I am very happy to see you posting here again Hon!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

MDI is BACK!

Beoca's picture

I've been hoping for quite a while to see more of MDI, and the time has finally come.

Are we ready? No, but we're getting it anyways. LET'S GO RACING!

Bobbie's back!

Robyn B's picture

I am very excited to see the return of MRI and all that it portends.

My reading has been a little aimless without having two WolfJess stories to follow...

Robyn B
Sydney

McGuire sisters

I am looking forward to new book on the McGuire sisters and the move into NASCAR racing.
Good start with chapter 1

USMC..

I could be wrong, but unless the Marine Corp is involved with these cancer kids, I think you might have those letters out of order. Having lived in that area, I'm pretty sure I know the place you are referring to though. That aside, it's great to see a new story from one of my favorite authors. I'm already hyped to see what comes next.

Wonderful to see them back.

The McGuire sisters are back. I can’t wait for the first race.

That said: “Foreign germs”? Really?

I know that it sounds crazy

wolfjess7's picture

But there are certain childhood illnesses that are only found outside of the US. Illnesses that we do not immunize I children for as a standard unless they are traveling overseas with their parents. Such as dependents of our military or State Department personnel.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Two years?

I thought Bobbie and Beth completed one F1 season before being pulled into this new sport with six months preparation? How long was that F1 season - I'm getting confused!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

School is about to begin

Jamie Lee's picture

F-one racing was a new experience for Bobbie and Beth, one they excelled at for first timers. They had more ups than downs, but it's racing, and stuff happens.

Including ticking off those who thought themselves Gods of the sport, until it was learned otherwise. The girls even had to deal with those who were out to hurt them while racing, themselves getting walking papers.

Now it's a homecoming to racing the girls cut their teeth on. Racing that's night and day to other types of racing. And requires a different skill set than F-one racing, a skill set the three stooges may not adequately possess. A skill set that if abused can pile up the entire field in the blink of the eye.

Those stooges may come to the new league thinking much like they did in F-one, they are Gods of the sport. When put up against those who grew up learning how to drive in that manner, they are going to be given lessons on how to drive a four wheel vehicle.

Others have feelings too.