The Adventures of Cerridwen Circle Whitethorn (6)

Printer-friendly version

I took a deep breath as I peered out the window of my bedroom. Ribbons of pale moonlight streamed through the trees. The moon, high above the treeline was round and full, and glowed like a big fat silver coin. Watching the moonlight stream through the window panes of my room, kind of reminded me of that night. It was a full moon that night too. A sudden knock on the door brought me out of my musing. There in the doorway stood my mother, she was wrapped in her night coat and in her hand she held an old wooden tray that held two extra large mugs. Steam rolled off the top of the mugs and the aroma of milk and chocolate filled the air. Smiling, she placed the mug down and eased toward me.

“Hey, princess.” She said smiling as she sat on the side of my bed. “I've been doing some thinking, and we'll.. if you want to volunteer for that thing you can.” She said as she looked me up and down. “After all, you need a social life too, and I do want you to meet more people your own age. I know you don't have too many friends here among the families, that Madeline girl seems like a really friendly girl. And the Potters are the best of the best.”

A small smile graced my face as I eased my pencil down and leaned back in my chair. You see when I mentioned the idea to my mother, the whole idea of me volunteering for the 'Slime a Student' booth as she called, she kind of brushed it off at first. Saying that I needed to focus more on my studies and learning the craft than making friends, friends could wait, she often said, and often or not she'll change her stance after an hour or two has passed.

“I guess, I was worried after all. The dunking booth was fun for you I guess. And I worry about where we'll know that. And Halloween is always kind of a rough time for us. We'll it is for me anyway. Some of our sisters and brothers seem to embrace it.. but it's a holy day for us.” She paused, slowly reached down and picked up the heavy wooden hairbrush from my dresser drawer.

My room is simple, wooden floorboards that are swept daily and mopped twice a week. A simple bed with woolen blankets, pillows with matching pillow cases. A dresser drawer at the front of my bed that held a change of sheets, undergarments and a change of pillow cases, a small closet that held a few skirts, blouses and one or two dresses. Mom kept promising me a formal gown, but she was holding off on that till we needed one. And finally a little study/work desk that had my pink laptop resting on top of it.

Finally, tucked into the corner of my room was a small bookshelf, the shelf held my small collection of manga, those are Japanese comic books, a few studio Ghibi movies and some stand alone anime series and of course my collection of “Fear Street” books. Anyway, with the brush in her hand, mom started to walk toward me by my bed. Smiling softly, she climbed up on my bed and sat down. Once she was seated, she patted the space in front of her.

A small smile graced my face as I slipped off my chair and walked over to my bed and climbed onto my mother's lap. My mom smiled and started to run the teeth of the brush through my now shoulder length raven hair. I had started growing it out ever since I came out of the closet if you will. As mom started to work the brush through my hair, I felt myself starting to relax as she started to brush my hair out. It was soothing and relaxing. Soon I found myself almost starting to purr as she started to break the tangle of knots my hair often becomes after a day of scrumping the floorboards, lessons and homework.

“Hey Mom, do you believe in guarding spirits or angels?” I finally asked after she had finished brushing out my hair, she was now starting to braid it, she always braided my hair before bed. It was like our nightly ritual. We'll share a cup of hot chocolate, she brushed and braided my hair and we'll each talk about our days, our struggles and our triumphs.
Mom took a deep breath and paused in her braiding, she then slipped off the bed and walked over to the wooden tray that held the mugs of hot chocolate. I wrapped my fingers around the mug and sighed as the heat from the mug warmed my hands.

“Why do you ask princesses?” She said at last after a long pause. She was just about to resume her braiding I could tell by the way she was holding the brush in her hand.
“Because that not, you know that night we had the fight and I was going to end myself by jumping off of Rebecca Road Bridge?” I said pushing through the awkwardness of the conversation. Mom I could tell was becoming visibly uncomfortable with the talk. But it was something I needed to get off my chest. Mom to her credit nodded her head and resumed the braiding.

“I remember honey, it was not a good night for either of us. I'm afraid I overreacted. I let my emotions run wild that night. And I said some very bad things that no mother should ever say to her child.” She paused, “But yes, to answer your question. I do believe in guardian spirits or angels or whatever you want to call them. I believe one was working that night.. that's why I still have my princess with me.” She said as she finished up the braid and turned me around. She then planted a kiss upon my forehead.

“You're going to be fine honey.” She said smiling softly as she tapped my bottom with the brush. I nodded my head and started to crawl under the covers. Soon I was buried under three layers of blankets. A small smile crossed momma's face as she walked over and placed her hand down upon my hand. Taking a deep breath, she started to say.

“Now I lay my daughter down to rest, I pray that all the world be blessed. Lady Moon and Sister Stat watch over her from afar. The Lord of Dreams will dance and sing, and to her sweet dreams he'll bring. And when she awakes to greet the day, Brother Sun will light the day.” She said as she bent down and kissed me on the forehead.

“Good night my sweet Cerridwen. Tomorrow, we'll drop that forum off and spend some mother and daughter time in town. We might even hit up Blockbuster's and see if we can't rent a Disney Movie or something.” She said as she bent down and kissed me once more on the forehead. She then stood up, walked over to my desk, turned my lamp off and then she tiptoed toward the door and slowly she closed it.

And there another chapter in the novel of my life draws to a close.

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Harsh words can cause harsh reactions

Jamie Lee's picture

It was fortuitous that something caused Hercales to pause before jumping off that bridge, giving his parents time to rescue him.

Harsh words said in a moment of emotional turmoil can lead to the event which almost took place on that bridge.

Others have feelings too.