Aubrey's Dilemma

Printer-friendly version


Favim.com-28007_0.jpg


In a castle in a not so faraway land only sometime not terribly long ago…

Aubrey was bathed in waning sunlight, darkness was probably good, since at first glance no one would notice that she had been crying. She stared at the atrium floor, as if somehow the stones would arrange themselves into a path of escape. She sighed. Father’s realm would become a part of the neighboring kingdom that very night when a marriage she never chose would proceed. She shook her head and surveyed her body with a near-frightful stare, remembering the conversation…the lecture she had with her mother weeks before….

“Your father is practically on his death bed, and our kingdom lies in grave peril from within and without.” Queen Cassandra bit her lip in frustration, seeking some solace for her only child.

“It isn’t fair, Mother. I will never be happy, will I? Bought with a promise of safety because Father never sought an alliance before now. I am the tribute to another realm because he lost all the wealth our people trusted him with.”

“Yes, my sweet child. You are the ransom because your father was greedy and foolish; a man who wasted everything…everyone.” Cassandra was usually given to stoic display in public, but in these chambers she walked swiftly to her child’s side. Falling to her knees, she raised her hands to plead for mercy… forgiveness for the sins of her husband.

“It is not your fault, Mother.” A hand reached down to raise the Queen’s countenance.

“If I must, I wiil...Mother. For the sake of our people.”

“But…. You cannot hide who you are, my child. Your secret will be revealed on the night you wed.”

“Yes, mother, but the King dare not renege. The merger will calm the voices who seek justice for our people even as the coffers of my new husband give bread and drink to my…our subjects.”

“You may not survive the night, Aubrey. I fear for your life.” Cassandra began to weep.

“It is a price I am willing to pay to restore honor to our own people, no matter what fate decides.” Aubrey lifted Queen Cassandra to her feet and walked her to the terrace overlooking the courtyard.

“They will be safe, and that is enough.” It was a sacrifice Aubrey was willing to make but sad none the less. Cassandra pulled Aubrey into an awkward embrace, seeking her own consolation as much as to console.

“He is a good man, Aubrey. I cannot dream that he would do you harm. A banishment, perhaps?” Cassandra was unable to convince herself much less her only child, and she wept in Aubrey’s arms.

“Whatever befalls me, Mother? For your part over which you have had no control? There is nothing to forgive. I have made peace with the foolish, rash choices Father has made to bring us to this point, and I have forgiven him.” Aubrey was brave but the fear of losing oneself proved to be too much, and both mother and child wept unashamedly.

“I love Father and I always will. And I love you more than life itself,” Aubrey said haltingly.

”And I love you so very much,my dear precious son"



The Bridal Chamber following the wedding…

Queen Cassandra stood almost like a sentinel guarding the bedroom door.

“He will understand. Queen Persephone grabbed my wrist only moments after the recessional. Prince Hayden was put in the very same position as you by his own father. This marriage of convenience was orchestrated by fathers who care more for power and influence than their own children Your own father wept at his folly to place his own son in peril. But the dreaded die is cast. I pray Hayden will release you without harm. Send you away or at least keep you out of the way until such time as a divorce might be quietly arranged?”

“I care no longer. The merger is complete and both realms may soon be ruled by Hayden justly and with a heart for both our peoples. I weep for what may never be in both our lives. And if he does kill me tonight, I will be comforted in my sorrow knowing that I did what I needed to do for both our realms.”

Aubrey stood and surveyed himself with a nervous glance. Powders and potions had enhanced what was an already sylph-like form. Silks and satins arrayed in bridal splendor might cover what lie beneath, but in only minutes would be unable to change who the bride was. A lifetime of hope finally fulfilled in the nighttime finery of a Queen only to be cast aside in what could only be expected to be an angry sense of betrayal. He placed his hands upon his breast and settled into what would likely be the last good feeling, even if he might never be a she even in his dreams.

A rapping at the door interrupted Aubrey’s thoughts as Cassandra greeted her new son-in-law.

“May your love be blessed, Prince Hayden,” Cassandra said, hoping her voice would belie the dread in her heart.

“I love you so very much, my sweet…girl.” She kissed Aubrey on both cheeks before offering her hand to the Prince.

“Thank you, Mother Cassandra.” He kissed her hand and watched as she departed. Aubrey hoped that whatever lie ahead, that her doom would be swift and sure.

“I …I am glad that you are my Bride, Princess Aubrey.” The young man seemed to hesitate. Aubrey stared at her new husband. She shuddered in confusion as she beheld the man whom she had just pledged her love to. He was no taller than her, and yet he conveyed stature.

“I…hope I please you,” Hayden said, which was something Aubrey felt she needed to say. She looked at his features. No longer a youth, he still bore no hair on his face. She began to nervously hit her hips; the actions of recrimination hidden beneath her robe.

“My God…” She thought as she continued to stare. Her nerves distracted her so much throughout the ceremony that she barely noticed anything between the procession and her arrival back at the Marital chambers.

“He is the most beautiful being I have ever seen.” Aubrey’s thoughts urged her into nervous shame. Aubrey the young man was about to be bedded by another young man. He felt bad that he felt bad. A close friend …an Earl on his mother’s side had revealed his own worries about never finding another man to love him, and Aubrey realized that we love whom and not what we love. So foreign this strange attraction might not be wrong, but he had at one time foolishly hoped that a young lady might love Aubrey as he now presented himself.

“I…I have never been with a beautiful woman before,” Hayden struggled to speak. The same fear in Aubrey’s heart seemed to echo in Hayden’s speech.

“I will be however you need me to be,” Aubrey said. She turned away and began to cry. Such a gentle soul. Whatever fate had in store for the two, Aubrey no longer feared for his…her life.

“I will retire to the inner chamber, my husband, to await you on this wonderful night,” Aubrey said. She paused at the door and looked back.

“I will bear whatever the gods allow because he is a good man. A kind soul. A kindred soul.” She thought. Just revealing who she was already too daunting, but in that moment she feared that her secret would not anger but instead hurt him. A betrayal so much worse than anything their fathers had done. And in that moment Aubrey vowed… more than vowed, for the sake of that kind, gentleman, Aubrey fell in love with her Prince.



A knock came at the door to the inner chamber. Aubrey lay on the bed, half covered by an exquisite duvet. Her robe had been set aside, and she had unbuttoned her chemise, baring her budding breasts.

“My darling husband? Come?” She patted the space on the bed next to her.

“I will offer what I can, and trust that my husband will be gentle with that alone. And be grateful if he wishes for what I have and not be saddened for what I cannot provide,” she thought to herself.

“I have told myself…” Hayden stammered. He stepped into the room and walked slowly to the bed. He wore a silken night shirt and evening trousers that displayed what his array of princely garb had hidden… He might have been a young man but he held himself like a mere stripling; more suited to serve Aubrey than to reign with her.

“I will love my Princess as best I can, but I fear you will hate who I am.” He looked away, but not before Aubrey noticed Hayden had been crying.

“Whatever you are, I have already begun to love you. Nothing you can do or say will change that, but I also fear that you will hate me. Please forgive me? Please? Love me?” Aubrey began to weep bitter tears. Two lives offered up by others. Hayden was kind, but still a man. Aubrey was beautiful in her own way, but not a woman. She turned over and buried her face in a large pillow and sobbed.

After what seemed like an eternity, but really in mere minutes, Aubrey felt the bed sag slightly and a warm comforting presence as Hayden pulled her close.

“I offer who I am in hopes that the love I already feel for you will suffice, my beautiful bride.” Hayden drew closer and bestowed the first kiss Aubrey had ever received; the tenderness made all the more precious as Hayden’s tears mixed with hers. She kissed back and gave a contented sigh. Whatever was secret would now be revealed.

“I love you, Hayden,” she stammered as she began to caress him. A caress to the cheek was followed by her hand grazing the night shirt. She feared going further, since the wonderful if challenging exploration would be swiftly duplicated by her husband. She withdrew her hand and kissed him again, feeling safe and warm even as the thoughts of her own betrayal would leave both of them irrevocably broken.

“I love you, Aubrey,” Hayden said as he reached the covers to place his hand between Aubrey’s thighs. An instant later, he had sat bolt upright. He began to sob, sealing Aubrey’s fears to the moment. She began to shake and quickly got out of bed.

“Mmmm….my…I am so sorry.” Aubrey fell at the foot of the bed and sobbed.

“I…I will…you…” She continued to sob, but climbed under the covers, hoping to at least do something for him. She gently pulled his trousers off and reached under his night shirt. As her hand moved up Hayden continued to cry, but his weeping began to change to a soft sigh accompanied by …laughter?

“What.,.. what is so funny?” Aubrey had not meant to be abrupt but the moment demanded it. Hayden gently grabbed her hand and placed it firmly on his…her sex. Aubrey went to withdraw her hand but Hayden patted her wrist and spoke.

“It would seem that the gods have a sense of humor but for the fact that this moment is not foolish or unkind, and that we who despaired may now rejoice.” He urged her to touch the soft mound that seemed to complement the bulge that now made sense in his wife’s panties.

“I don’t understand,” Aubrey said through gasping sobs. Hayden gently pulled her further to him and began kissing her tears away.

“I loved you from the instant I saw you. Can you deny the same?” Hayden did not wait for an answer, kissing Aubrey deeply.

“We might be what we are, but henceforth, we can rejoice in who we are and will continue to become.” He smiled and Aubrey pulled back just a bit.

“I love you. I love you,” Aubrey said as a knowing smile crossed her face.

“My…my King…my sweet Hayden,” she said

“And my Queen…my precious Aubrey,” he said.

And after some contented cooing and some crying and growling and more cooing, they fell asleep, saying together,

“My love…”





Love Theme from El Cid
Composed by Miklos Rozsa

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice One!

What will the courtesans say when King Hayden gives birth to a new prince or princess?????

Janice

easily done

"I think it's cute how the king seems to have gained some weight while the queen is with child - he doesn't want her to feel self-conscious."

"I don't know; it might be trickery on his part. I overheard the royal tailor talking about sewing some kind of padded undergarment."

"All I know is I'm not going to bring it up with either of them - royals are allowed their whims."

Giggling now.

WillowD's picture

Thanks for posting this.

beautiful story, hon

and I laughed and wept at the end.

DogSig.png

"...and that we who despaired may now rejoice!"

laika's picture

Kind of saw that one coming but it was very sweet; how they were both so terrified of being rejected once their secret was discovered, only to discover they were a perfect match. (I've been a sucker for this particular type of boy-meets-girl story ever since Darla Raspberry's wonderful stories about Joan & Sam...)
~hugs, Veronica

Chucklesome

joannebarbarella's picture

You disguised Hayden's plight well and I didn't twig until three quarters of the way through.

It is a very gentle story in its way and quite delightful in its outcome.

Thinking the same thing

What happens when King Hayden gets pregnant? That could be tricky! Loved the El Cid music.

IF I get the wherewithal to continue?

Andrea Lena's picture

ummmm "Blessed Event"

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Waaa...???

Although I liked the humor in this tale, I also felt a degree of uneasy fulfillment. Perhaps it was the thought of a woman being used as 'leverage'. Or perhaps it's the 'quantum entanglement' of the two characters...or...to be perfectly clear...soul mates? I'm in the throes of writing just such a tale. I'm on page 120 and it's only just begun!!! I am sooo envious of Drea's ability to do the same thing in a mere few pages and to do it so well that I must think about what it is I'm doing. ;D

Could It Possible Be...???

Da Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg

*cheering*

I am such a sucker for stories like this. Even though I had a strong suspicion near the end that it would end the way it did, I was still cheering for the happy couple. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story! :)