A Wish Unwanted - Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version

A Wish Unwanted – Part 20
by Limbo’s Mistress

I awoke, blinking several times as I sat up and rubbed my sleepy, slightly crusty eyes, My cheeks felt tacky with the tears had dried on them and my stomach fluttered with a combination of fear and excitement.

Today was going to be a big day.

My first experience with cheering in front of a stadium full of people would be taking place in less than fourteen hours. Sometime between now and then Jen would be returning from her week-long exile and would more than likely want to have words with me. I still needed to smooth things over with Sarah, which I was still at a loss as to how I was going to accomplish that.

And the Chad/Lee Problem was going to have to be addressed. Sooner rather than later.

Of course, despite all that, I couldn’t avoid feeling a sense of nervous giddiness as I climbed out of the bed and my eyes fell on to the uniform draped across the chair nearby. I couldn’t explain why the thought of putting it on, and walking around the hallways wearing it, made tingles flow up and down my body.

Was this just another aspect of the magic? I was a cheerleader, so I should get a thrill out of dressing like it? Of course, from a logical standpoint, I hadn’t wished to be a Raiderette. It had just been a by-product of the parameters of the wish.

I seemed to glide on air as I moved over to the dresser and pulled open the drawer full of socks. Inside, I found several pairs of blue socks trimmed with a white stripe across the top. I snagged one from inside and tossed them on the bed. Then I pulled open the drawer above it and quickly located a pair of blue satin hot shorts and a matching sports bra. These two joined the socks. I selected a black thong from the drawer as well.

Stripping out of my sleepwear, I pulled the thong up onto my hips, then followed it with the shiny cheer pants and bra. Picking the skirt up, I stared at it for a few seconds, then unfastened the catch on the side, unzipped it, and stepped inside, pulling it up to my waist. As soon as it was secure, I couldn’t resist bouncing over to the mirror to see how it looked.

The skirt was pleated, with alternative panels of blue and white. The hem fell to mid-thigh and had a solid white band running along the bottom. The waist fit perfectly and the curve of my hips made the sides of the skirt hang off them. I actually giggled aloud as I twisted back and forth, making the garment flare out wildly. There was no doubt I would be flashing the skin-tight boy shorts beneath to nearly everyone who saw me.

The top part of the uniform was blue and white as well, with a sharp V-neck and long sleeves that came down to my wrists. The strip of white running horizontally across the chest was embroidered with the word “RAIDERS” in blocked letters across the front. The sleeves were tight against my arms, but seemed to have been designed with freedom of movement in mind.

I had no problem raising my arms and twirling them around without the cuffs riding up too much.

Just wearing the thing made me totally psyched. More than once, I attempted to convince myself to chill, but the Penny in me was having none of it.

I sat down at the desk, pulled out the mirror and my tray of beauty supplies. First I applied the slight bit of makeup I’d become accustomed to wearing each morning, then I pulled out a small box with a pallet of glittered eyeshadow. Dipping the wand into the square containing the blue pigment, I carefully coated my upper eyelids to almost match my uniform.

A bit of eyeliner extending past my natural lower lids gave my eyes a much-needed pop that made them look slightly larger than normal. When I was done, I turned my face back and forth, admiring my handiwork.

Then I exchanged the makeup tray for the one holding all my hair ties, bows, barrettes, and ribbons.

After parting my hair perfectly down the middle of my head, my fingers began to work almost effortlessly, creating two dangling braids that hung down to my shoulders and were secured with a small black rubber band. I placed two blue bows at the top of the braids, and wove a slender strand of white silk ribbon down from the bow to the tips.

The girl who smiled back at me looked like cheer perfection.

I jumped up from my chair and skipped over to the closet, coming back out with a pair of blue and white Nikes. Once they were on my feet, I grabbed my phone, purse, and backpack, and headed downstairs.

Mom was rushing around the kitchen, trying to button her blouse while gathering up her stuff. I swooped in and took the empty travel mug from her hands and filled it almost to the top with fresh coffee. A dollop of cream later, I put it on the table next to her car keys.

“Oh, thank you, sweetie,” she said gratefully as she tried to hop and put on her shoes. “I overslept this morning and my first patient is in less than an hour.”

I smiled and grabbed a to-go thermos for myself. “Plenty of time,” I said, pouring java into the container.

She laughed and straightened her skirt, glancing around for her jacket. I pointed to the item sitting next to her on one of the chairs. She rolled her eyes at herself, slipped into the jacket, then turned to me.

“How do I look? Manic Doctor or Disheveled Mother?”

Now I rolled my eyes. “You look as beautiful as ever,” I said smiling.

She pranced over and gave me a one-armed hug. Then she gathered up her keys, coffee, and purse before stopping to look at me. She stared for such a long time without saying anything, I began to worry that my enthusiasm had gotten the better of me. Causing me to go a little overboard with the school spirit.

“It’s a little too much?” I asked with a grimace. “Too much blue.”

She blinked, snapped out of her reverie by my statement. Then she shook her head back and forth rapidly.

“Not at all,” she said, beaming at me. “I was just thinking how grown up and pretty you are. It’s so hard to believe that the lovely young woman standing in front of me is really my daughter.”

I froze for a second, then managed a laugh. “Well, I really am.”

At least now, that is. A week ago you would have probably suggested that I start attending school with a paper bag over my head.

“Okay, sweetie, I really have to go.” Her heels clicked as she went toward the door. “Have a good day at school. Your father has promised to be home by seven so that we can come to the game.”

I wasn’t really sure why, but the thought of the two of them taking time to come to watch me cheer sent a wave of warmth running through my whole body. Sam’s parents never went to any of Benson High’s sporting events. Even though they were both former students there.

It’s possible that they might have, if Sam had ever shown the slightest interest in playing on any of the school’s teams. Of course, that would have required him to not be so anti-social.

Now, they had reason to spend their Friday nights in the chilly air watching the Raiders and Raiderettes do their thing.

“Okay,” I said. “See you then. Love you.”

“I love you, Penelope.” She blew me a kiss and then vanished out the door.

I grabbed a granola bar and a banana before I headed out after her. Sitting in the Jeep, I stared at my phone for a moment, reading the final exchange between Sarah and I the night before. Our friendship was on the edge of calamity, and I was determined to find some way to put it right.

I didn’t go to pick her up. Something told me that she was in a mood to drive herself to school this morning. Which I totally agreed with. It was very possible neither of us would be good company for the other right now.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I didn’t see her Prius. What I did see, however, was Lee’s Mustang and Geoff’s truck. Ironically, they were parked nose to nose in opposing slots.

If that wasn’t a metaphor for the current situation, I didn’t know what was.

Climbing out of the car, I slung my bag onto my shoulder and made my way toward the entrance.

“Hey, Pee-Jay,” a girl yelled from five cars away. “Raiderettes rule!”

I waved with a laugh and headed up the sidewalk with a spring in my step. My world might be about to crumble down on top of me if I wasn’t careful, but at that moment, I didn’t care. I was in too good of a mood.

I went up the steps and in through the doors. Lots of students were dressed in various amounts of blue and white, and someone had put up streamers in the school’s colors along the hallway. I walked down the corridor toward the library, grinning like a total idiot. The more people seemed excited to see me, the more confident I began to feel. Not just about the upcoming game, but about everything.

I guess when you allow yourself to experience something other than soul-crushing sarcasm, you discover that true emotions are a rollercoaster.

When I stepped through the doors into the Repository of Knowledge, Mrs. Rogan, the head librarian, gave me a slightly dubious look. As if the last person she expected to see waltzing into this place first thing in the morning would be a member of the Elite.

Fortunately, I spotted Tracy and Charlie at one of the far tables. Smiling at the gray-haired custodian of silence, I glided over their way and sat down in one of the chairs on the opposite side of the table from the pair.

Tracy arched a brow in my direction, but Charlie just stared at me, blinking slowly.

“What?” I asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious. “Do I have something on my face.”

He nodded. “Eye shadow.”

Tracy smirked and turned her face away. I, however, continued to lock eyes with the boy.

“Yes,” I said. “Is that a problem?”

He shook his head, still seeming as if he were not quite sure he was seeing what he thought he was seeing.

“I just … “ Then his eyes drifted away from my face to focus on my hair.
“Who braided your hair?”

“I didn’t realize we were meeting to play twenty questions of fashion. I did.”

The two of them looked at each other, then Charlie turned back to me. “Did you watch a video or something?”

I huffed. “No. I just thought it might look cute this way.” I reached up and tugged on one of the pigtails. “Why are you getting so wiggy about my appearance. I’ve been wearing makeup and styling my hair all week.”

“Not to this extent.”

“Duh, I went the extra mile because it’s Game Day.” For emphasis, I gestured at the uniform hugging my body. “I remember you looking about the same way when you were a cheerleader.”

“Yeah, but I’d been a girl my whole life.” He shook his head. “I’m just surprised, I guess. It didn’t really hit me until now just how much … Pee-Jay there was inside you.”

I crinkled up my nose and shrugged. “Anywho. What should we do about the stone? I mean, it’s probably going to turn up at some point. If it hasn’t already.”

Tracy nodded. “I really don’t want to have to learn a whole new reality.” She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a couple of folded pieces of paper. “So, after I got home last night, I pulled out all the stuff I’d managed to find about Invidia right after my own transformation.”

She put the papers on the table, Charlie picked them up and unfolded them.

I held out my hand toward him, but he responded with a single arched eyebrow. “All in good time, my dear.”

I couldn’t help but smirk. The line was something we’d often said to each other, usually when one of us was playing a single-player game and the other was not-so-patiently awaiting their turn. I huffed indignantly and crossed my arms over my chest.

“So, Invidia wasn’t just the goddess of envy and jealousy,” he said, finally handling the printed sheets toward me. “She was also in charge of retribution.”

‘Retribution?” I asked, taking them from his outstretched hand.

“Yeah,” Tracy said. “Which I thought was a little strange. I mean, if anyone should be given the chance for retribution, it should be me. After what Tabitha did.”

I nodded, then skimmed over the words before me.

“It was believed that Invidia’s desire was to spread hatred and jealousy throughout the world,” I said, reading a particularly interesting passage. “One soul at a time.”

Charlie frowned. “Then why the rule about wishes having to be made in pairs?”

Tracy shrugged. “Not sure. I mean, I guess the goal was actually to have the two people corrupt each other. Think about it. First, you’d have to completely trust the person you were wishing with. Otherwise …” She pointed at herself. “If that level of caring wasn’t there, it’s a good change the two wishers will screw each other over.”

“Even accidentally,” Charlie said, looking over at me.

I sighed. “We played right into Invidia’s scheme.”

Tracy arched a brow. “No you didn’t. Like you said, it was a mistake.”

“No,” I said, not taking my eyes off Charlie. “I was jealous of you. I have been for years.”

His mouth dropped open for a second, then he tilted his head slightly to the side. “Jealous … of me? You wanted to be, uh, a girl?”

“Not that part, you goofball,” I said, sticking my tongue out at him. “The popularity. The fact that everyone seemed to like having you around. Wanted you to be their friend.”

He frowned. “I didn’t ask for …”

I held up my hand, stopping him. “I know you didn’t ask for any of it, Cindy. It’s just … the more you became this hot, well-loved social icon, the more I realized I was not.”

“I never thought of you as anything other than my friend,” he said. “Of course, I made a really crappy friend, since I never bothered to actually stop Jen from tormenting you.”

I shrugged. “Water under Helms Deep. The thing is, now that I’m in your shoes…”

“And skirts,” Tracy added with a smirk.

“And skirts,” I continued. “I realize that you didn’t have it as easy as I thought you did. The fact that you had any time at all for me after the Boob Fairy visited is amazing.”

Charlie snorted. “They weren’t that big, Sammy. Not as big as yours are.”

I frowned. “I want us to be friends again. Like we were. Hanging out, watching bad sci-fi and making snarky comments.” Then I nodded at Tracy. “You can bring your girlfriend with you. I have it on good authority she’s a bit of a nerd.”

Both of their faces grew red. I laughed and shook my head. “I’m happy for you both. After the crap that damned wishing stone put you through, you deserve some happiness.”

“So do you,” Charlie said. “Have you talked to Sarah this morning?”

“What about Geoff and Lee?” Tracy added.

I sighed. “No, I decided to give Sarah a little space. She still thinks I was lying about the stone, but when she asked me to tell her the real truth, about what was really going on, I sort of blew her off. I don’t know what to do.”

“I guess we could all get together and try to convince her that what you told her was real,” Tracy offered. “If Tabitha and Jen would lend a hand, I know she’d believe you then.”

“Jennifer Winters isn’t going to help,” I said. “Especially not me. I’m really dreading her return.”

“She can’t belittle you in front of people anymore. Or convince one of the jocks to beat you up. You realize this, right?” Charlie had this superior smirk on his face. “Not with your wish still in effect. Oh, I’m sure she’ll be a total bitch to you in private, but she’ll have to be careful around other people. Badmouthing the school’s Most Wanted Girl could be social suicide.”

I shrugged. “Yeah, I know. Still doesn’t mean she’ll help me convince anyone of the truth.”

Tracy inclined her head. “You mean Lee, don’t you?”

I nodded. “Geoff came over last night. After I spoke with you two. He was … nice. Polite, even. He wants me to give him a chance.”

“For what?” Charlie asked.

“To prove he can be a good boyfriend. That he can be the guy that has been dating Pee-Jay for the past six months.”

“Seriously?” he said, looking skeptical. “How is he planning on doing that?”

“By not kissing me?” I offered, then shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess he wants to go the whole route. Dates, conversations, things like that.”

“What about Lee?” Tracy asked.

“Geoff’s wish removed Lee from my past. At least in the romantic way. With the way I scared him off yesterday, I’d say any chance we had of rekindling that is gone.”

Charlie reached over and gave my hand a squeeze. “I’m sorry.”

“I’ll live,” I said, smiling. “Maybe I’ll fall in love with Geoff someday.”

Before either of them could comment, the bell on the wall outside the library began to ring. I climbed to my feet and looked down at both of them.

“Tomorrow,” I said. “We are going to hang out. Maybe I can convince Sarah to join us.”

The both nodded.

“Good luck,” Charlie said.

I exited the library and headed down the hall to homeroom. When I stepped through the door, Candice waved from her seat. Like me, she was dressed in her cheer uniform. Her light blonde hair was styled into tight, spiraling curls that had streaks of blue running through them.

She looked like the epitome of a high school cheerleader.

“Wow,” she said as I sat down in front of her. “You look amazing.”

I smiled, shrugging one shoulder. “So do you.” I pointed at her hair. “Temporary?”

She laughed. “You know it. My dad would freak if I actually dyed part of my hair blue.”

“If my hair wasn’t so dark, I might have copied you.”

She blushed, shaking her head. “No need to copy me, Peej. You’re in a class all your own.”

Mrs. Thomas cleared her throat, signaling that it was time for the conversations flying around the room to cease.

Claire’s face beamed out at us from the screen. The first topic was the upcoming game that evening against our cross-town rivals, the Southwest Cowboys.

A chorus of boos sprang up around me, but, surprisingly enough, the normally stern Mrs. Thomas simply smiled. I guess even the hardest teacher can get a little giddy with school spirit.

Claire was sure to remind us that we were supposed to be on our best behavior, since we were the hosting school.

As she moved onto other announcements, I risked looking back at Candice.

“I wonder what time Jen will get here?”

She shrugged. “Melissa told me last night that her plane wasn’t leaving until sometime this morning. So, I would guess not until after lunch.”

I nodded. “Great.”

The other cheerleader giggled softly. “I know. I’ve really enjoyed having you be in charge this week. It’s actually been fun.”

“Well, hopefully Jen won’t be too mad that I changed things up.”

That Sam changed things up, actually.

When I walked through the door to French, I immediately noticed that Sarah’s seat was empty. I slid into my own and waited, unable to take my eyes off the door.

The rest of the class, including Mr. Tate, arrived before she did. In fact, the tardy bell rang a half a second after she came into the room. Her eyes barely glanced my way as she crossed over to her desk and sat down.

My heart sank.

I started to lean forward to tell her hello when Mr. Tate looked at me and asked me to read and translate the first three paragraphs on page three hundred forty-nine.

It wasn’t easy focusing on a foreign language when what I really wanted to do was talk to my best friend. However, I managed to muddle through and received a hearty congratulations from the teacher.

Once Mr. Tate’s attention was on someone else, I pulled out my phone, put it down in my lap, and sent a quick message to Sarah.

“Your hair looks awesome,” I typed. Yeah, kind of a lame message, but I thought testing the waters might be a good idea. Plus, her hair really did look pretty good.

I saw her stare down at her own phone, then tap out her reply.

“Truth?”

I sighed, realizing after I did it that it probably wasn’t a smart thing to do. Sarah stiffened, then turned her phone off, and dropped it into her backpack.

Well, crap.

When the bell rang, she bounced up out of her seat to take off, but I was ready for that. I stood up first and reached out to put my hand on her arm.

“Sarah, please. I can’t stand having you mad at me.”

She turned around, but didn’t look at me. Instead, she glanced to a spot over my left shoulder. “I just want you to be honest with me, Pee-Jay.” I didn’t know if she meant it, but her not calling me “Peej” sent a shard of ice into my heart.

“I was,” I said, then frowned. “I mean, look, can we talk later?”

“Are you going to try telling me about a magic rock?”

I opened my mouth, then closed it, shrugging. “I know it sounds ….”

“Forget it,” she said, pulling her arm from my grip. “I never thought you’d keep a secret from me, but I never, ever, figured that you would sooner share one with Tabitha Stevens rather than me.”

“It’s not like that,” I said. “I didn’t share anything with Tabs. She was already a part of it.”

She rolled her eyes and grabbed her bag. “When you want to start treating me like your best friend again, let me know.” She started walking toward the door.

I grabbed my own stuff and ran to get in front of her. Several of the other students turned to stare at us. Probably wondering why I looked like I was about to fly into a panic.

Because, in all sincerity, I was.

“Look at me, Sarah,” I said, pushing my face close to hers. “After all these years, surely you know when I’m hiding something. When I’m not being completely honest.”

She sighed and looked into my eyes. “You would think, right?”

“I am not lying to you. There is a magic stone that is going around and it grants wishes. Jen, Tabitha, Tracy, Geoff, Peter McDonald, Charlie, and myself have all used it. Please, please believe me. That’s the secret I was keeping.”

I stared at her, desperate for her to finally see the truth in my words. Instead, she shook her head, and pushed past me.

“Don’t talk to me,” she said in a low, warning voice. “It’s killing me to know that you could just lie to me.”

As she walked away, with not so much as a backward glance, I knew that the issue wasn’t that my best friend didn’t believe me. It was more insidious than that.

She couldn’t believe me.

With the magic of my wish affecting the entire student body, she should have at least been semi-receptive to anything I said. With barely any effort, I’d managed to convince Jacob to invite the nerds to his private pool party. Geoff had been the recipient of not-so-thinly veiled accusations of infidelity. Simply because everyone thought we’d broken up.

Sarah should have at least been willing to hear me out. However, she hadn’t.

The stone was protecting itself.

The sobering thought occupied my mind as I roved to Mr. Andrews’ class on autopilot. While I’m sure that plenty of people waved and said hello, I wasn’t cognizant of any of them. I kept playing the scene with Sarah over and over in my memory. She had to know I was telling the truth, but nothing I said was going to override the power keeping her from believing it.

I mean, yeah, when Cindy popped into my room claiming to have found a wishing stone, I’d thought she was either crazy or messing with me. However, once I’d touched the damned thing, I knew she wasn’t guilty of either. I’d known instantly that there was something powerful emanating from the small slab of green rock.

So, if I could somehow get my hands on the stone again, I could show Sarah that I’d been telling the truth. Of course, that also meant she would most likely make a wish. Which would create yet another change in reality. Another change to have to acclimate to. Of course, the biggest problem in that plan was finding it.

In History, I completely ignored the lecture on the establishment of trench warfare in World War One and concentrated on Invidia’s little gift to the world.

It seemed that as soon as a pair of people made a wish, the stone vanished. Did it go to an alternate plane to recharge? Did it immediately leapt to the next set of users? It had gone to Geoff four days after Cindy and I made our wishes. Tabitha and Tracy had used it about six months before that. No one knew how long ago Jen had altered reality.

Why the big discrepancies in time?

When the bell rang, I headed to the Clubhouse. My original plan of convincing Tabitha to help me talk to Sarah was no longer viable. Not if the stone was preventing her from even contemplating its existence. The only thing it would do is drive her further away from me.

I ran into Kara along the way. The redhead had blue streaks in her crimson locks, much like Candice had done. She also had two pieces of blue lampblack tape under each eye with the words “Touch” and “Down” in white across them. She grinned as she looked me over and fell into step beside me.

“Girl, you are totally uber-hot looking today. I mean, not that you normally aren’t hot. But you are completely on fire.” She giggled and nodded her head up and down. “Has Geoff seen you yet today?”

I turned my head to look at her. “Geoff?”

She laughed. “Yes. Because if he hasn’t seen you looking like that, someone should probably send him a text giving him a head’s up. Don’t want him to have a lust-fueled heart attack before tonight’s game.”

“Oh.” Then I remembered that I was trying to be more open to the idea that Geoff was going to be my romantic partner. Or at least, more open to the idea that I was going to allow him a chance to be.

“You okay?” Kara asked, giving me a sideways glance.

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m good. Just a little anxious about tonight.”

She laughed. “Anxious? Why are you feeling anxious? You’re the best cheerleader on the squad.”

I grinned. “Better not let Jen hear you say that.”

She waved her hand dismissively. “Jen’s good, no question. But you’re better. And prettier. And nicer. If it were up to me, you’d be the captain. Not her.”

“Thanks, Kara. That means a lot to me.”

“Pee-Jay!”

The voice was slightly louder than the usual Penny Fandom used in the halls. It was also slightly more familiar.

I turned around to see Lee walking toward us, weaving his way through the crowded hallway.

“Wonder what he wants?” Kara mused, watching my former boyfriend close in.

“We have English together,” I said as an explanation.

She nodded, then took a single step back as the still-handsome boy stopped in front of me. Though I was sure she could hear my heart begin to hammer, even from several feet away.

“Hey,” he said, looking down at me. “Do you have a minute to talk?”

Yes. I had a minute to spend in your company, Lee. Or an hour. A day. A month. The rest of my life. I felt a little light-headed as I continued to look at him. Then the image of Geoff, acting so sincere and hopeful, reached up and slapped me out of my infatuation haze. I blinked a few times, bit down on my lower lip, then cut my eyes over at Kara for a second.

“Can it wait until fifth?” I asked. “I’m supposed to be meeting the rest of the squad at the Clubhouse and I’m … we’re … running late.” I nodded my head at the other cheerleader.

Lee opened his mouth, then closed it. He gave Kara a cursory glance. As if merely bothering to acknowledge her presence. No lie, the act made my already rapid pulse to quicken. Kara was a beautiful girl. The fact that Lee didn’t take three or four seconds to ogle her in the slightly risqué uniform made me adore him all the more.

Something told me that Geoff’s eyes wouldn’t have been so disciplined.

“Yeah,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “It can wait until Lit.” He smiled at me, nearly making my legs buckle. “See you then.”

He didn’t even look at Kara again as he turned around and headed back down the hallway. Against the tide of students going the opposite way.

When I spun back around, Kara was wearing a rather sassy little smile.

“Care to dish?” she asked.

“About?”

She giggled and nodded her head toward the back of the departing boy. “That totes hot guy. I mean, he’s a little smaller than I generally like my men. But, damn, did he ever have a look.”

“What look?” I glanced over Lee’s way, but he had already vanished around the corner.

“A smoldering one. Every moment he was looking at you.”

I blinked, turning around to stare at her. “He did not.”

She laughed and nodded. “He totally did. I could feel the heat of his eyes all the way over to where I was standing.”

I shook my head and began walking again. I was going to be good. I was going to be good. Geoff deserved a chance and I was going to give it to him. I was going to be good.

Then Lee’s smile popped into my head. However, if Geoff can’t make the grade ….

“… he might not be quite as amused.” Kara said.

“Huh?” I’d missed most of her comment in my chant of self-control.

“I said that it was a good thing Geoff wasn’t with you when that other boy walked up. Since he might not be quite as amused.”

“Yeah,” I said, pushing open the door to step outside. “Good thing.”

Everyone was in the Clubhouse but Sarah. The rest of the girls, all decked out in their uniforms, primped and posed in front of the rows of mirrors. When Kara and I arrived, Candice immediately walked over to me.

“Do you know where Sarah is?” she asked me.

I shrugged. “No clue. Haven’t seen her since first period.”

Tabitha smirked and shook her head, wisely keeping her mouth shut for once. Candice, however, wasn’t so easily swayed.

“I saw her on her way to second,” the voluptuous blonde said. “I’m not completely sure, but I think I saw her crying.”

My giddy mood evaporated in an instant. I’d known she was upset when she left French, but I didn’t think she was upset enough for tears.

Right, Sam’s voice snorted. Because you didn’t cry multiple times last night about your fight with her.

“Did you try texting her?”

Candice nodded. “But she didn’t text back. I even messaged Chad, but he said he hadn’t seen her at all today. She drove herself to school and didn’t meet him at their usual morning spot before homeroom.”

I frowned. “I don’t know what’s got her so upset,” I lied, feeling the blade of the falsehood puncture my chest. “Maybe she’ll show up in a little bit. When she’s feeling better.”

Candice gave me an very confused look. “Uh, aren’t you going to text her?” she asked. “I mean, you are her best friend.”

Former. Former best friend. Because I am a horrible person who didn’t do a better job of hiding the unspeakable truth from one of the few people on the planet I never would hurt in a million years.

“Good point.” I pulled out my phone and sent a quick message to the distraught girl. As expected, I got zero response. “I’m sure she’ll turn up,” I said.

She didn’t.

The hour ended and the whole gaggle of us departed the sports complex and headed toward lunch. As soon as we got into the building, Kara linked her left arm with my right one. Jordan swooped in from the left and linked her right one with me. Behind us, Melissa, Candice, and Shelly made a chain. Bringing up the rear was Tabitha and Melanie.

In nearly synchronized locked steps, we marched down the hallway toward the cafeteria. The students in the hallway parted like a wave before us, waving and cheering as the Elite passed them by.

One of the things that Cindy had confided in my swam back to the forefront of my mind. She confessed that she has always enjoyed Game Day. Because, for the Raiderettes, it was like being high school royalty.

A pair of guys I recognized from my … Sam’s … AP Chemistry class grinned at us, each of them grabbing a handle of the cafeteria’s double doors. They pulled them open and the eight of us entered to rounds of applause.

We stopped in the middle of the busy room, breaking apart to form two lines. The rest of the squad looked at the crowd around us, then all of them looked to me. I smiled at them, then gave a single nod.

“Raider stand up. Stand up and scream,” the squad’s voices rang out in perfect clarity.

“Let’s hear you yell for the number one team!”

The cafeteria erupted in a cacophony of energized screams.

“We are the Raiders. We can’t be beat!”

I glanced over to see Kara grinning at me.

“Because we got the power to knock Southwest off their feet!”

All eight of us did one bounce hop, then threw both arms in the air in a V formation while lifting our left legs off the floor in a bent knee stance.

The roar was deafening. The thrill of it, of being a part of it, was incredible. Like a drug. I felt as if my face might actually break from the intensity of my smile.

Sam always hated the Game Day cheer. In fact, I would do my damnedest to get my lunch, if I was buying, and get away before the Elite made it to the room. The thought of being in there, around that rowdy crowd with Jen’s smug face looking all happy, always made me nauseous.

Now, I was in heaven.

I nodded at the rest of the girls and we dropped our arms and legs back to a more relaxed pose. The throngs of onlookers began to break up as the moment passed and the room returned to normal.

The lot of us moved into the line, instantly being usher ahead of those waiting. Since I had never stuck around before , I wasn’t sure if allowing the Elite to cut ahead was a traditional thing, or if it was because of Penny and her magical cult of personality.

Outside, the table was deserted. Not a single one of the players was there.

I turned to Jordan. “Where are the guys?”

“The guys?” she asked, arching a brow.

I nodded, then gestured at the table. “The guys.”

She leaned back, staring at me. “They’re in the locker room. You know that Coach C has lunch catered for them on Game Day.”

“Catered?” Surely she was joking. Right?

Tabitha stepped up next to us, smirking. “Yeah, Peej. You should know that. Did you have memory lapse for breakfast?” She giggled maliciously and went to an empty seat.

I was so tempted to dump my tray on her head. Of course, that would set off another round of problems as the squad tried to figure out why I’d done it. I had too many plates up in the air as it were.

We sat down and ate. A couple of times, someone would comment that it was odd that Sarah was missing. The only text she responded to was the one Jordan sent informing her that we were in the quad.

“Not hungry,” was her response.

I didn’t have much of an appetite either. I poked at the stuff on my tray, trying to clear the jumble of emotions and thoughts scurrying around in my skull like a batch of rabid squirrels.

In fact, I was so wrapped up in my own quagmire that it took me a few seconds to realize that the conversation around me had ceased. When it did, I glanced up to see that the rest of the girls were staring over my shoulder.

I put my fork down on the tray and turned around. In half a second, my breath caught in my throat and my bladder suddenly felt like it urgently needed attention.

The all-too-familiar hazel eyes looking our way were squarely focused on me. Hair the color of spun gold was adorned with a pair of blue bows. Almost identical to the ones in my own chestnut locks. Full, ruby lips were set in a half-pout. One of those expressions that could either mean desire or fury.

The body in the blue and white uniform was curvy without being too much of a parody. The thighs visible beneath the hem of the pleated skirt were a bit thicker than my own, but no less shapely. Hands resting on generous hips had fingernails that were painted blue and white in an alternating pattern.

“Well, hello there.” Jennifer Winters said. It might have sounded like it was directed at us all, but I knew in my heart the greeting was meant for me. “I hate I missed the Game Day lunch cheer.” She shook her head, sending those luminous tresses swaying gently. “Thankfully, according to Miss Ferguson, it was accomplished with near perfection.”

Near perfection? I felt my ire rise. Almost autonomously. Near? I’d have considered our routine to be flawless.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, and kept my hands placed palm-down on the table.

“Welcome back, Jen,” I said, giving silent thanks that my voice hadn’t cracked. “How was your flight?”

Those eyes narrowed a bit more. “Just peachy. Of course, I did have to get dressed and prepped on the plane. As well as threaten my Uber driver with bodily harm if he didn’t step on the gas to get me here quickly.”

“Well, you look totes adorbs,” Melissa chimed in.

Jen flashed her a contrite smile. As if she found the compliment she’d just been paid to be wanting. Then she strolled toward the table, her eyes never leaving mine. When she was about two yards away, she stopped and raised her arm, pointing her finger at me.

“We need to have a little talk, Davenport.”

“We do?”

She nodded. “There are somethings I believe you and I need to discuss. Privately.” She smiled, and it made me think of a barracuda. “The Clubhouse. Now.”

I nodded, gathering up my things. No need to make a scene in front of the non-stone users.

Speaking of, while I was getting my stuff together, she turned to Tabitha.

“Stevens, you will be joining us.”

Tabitha responded with a sigh. “Must I?”

I palmed my phone and pulled up Charlie’s number. My thumbs flew over the virtual keyboard. “Jen’s back. Meeting at the Clubhouse.”

“Today, ladies,” the captain of the Elite said, snapping her fingers for emphasis. “The sooner we get this done, the happier I’ll be.”

The three of us left the quad to make our way to the sports complex building. Jen led the way, with me right behind her, and Tabitha bringing up the rear. None of us spoke as we marched.

Jen descended the steps to the Clubhouse door slowly, as if drawing out the moment to savor the tension I’m sure she could feel.

She opened the door and held it, ushering Tabitha and I inside. Then she followed behind us. Once we were all in the room, she slammed the door as hard as she could.

“This has got to be some kind of freaking cosmic, karmic, joke,” she said, brushing past us to turn around and glare. “I knew when I felt the world go tits-up while I was cruising at fifty-thousand feet that I wasn’t likely to be happy with whatever messed up wish had just been fulfilled.” She shook her head. “Of course, it only got worse when I talked to this moron,” she gestured at Tabitha, “to learn that Sam Davenport was now a Raiderette named Pee-Jay.”

Tabitha huffed and crossed her arms over her chest, obviously insulted.

“Look,” I said, pointing at her. “I didn’t ask for this, okay? And I would apologize for whatever disruption it put in your life. However, I’m not going to. Mainly because I think you’re the biggest bitch that ever walked these halls, and I’m ecstatic that my new life as a hot girl is screwing up yours.”

Her mouth dropped open in utter shock. Guess no one had ever talked to her that way before. Well, the joke was on her. If she thought she could just steamroll over me as she’d done for so long, she was in for a rude awakening.

“Oh? Is that so, Samantha?” She glared at me. “You say that you didn’t mean for this to happen. But, once again, you’re more than happy to dick me over.”

I snorted a laugh. “Me? Riiiiiight.” I shook my head. “You’re the one who’s made my life a living hell for years. The fact that I’m finally getting to muck with yours a bit is more than fair. At least, as far as I’m concerned.”

“Fair?” She cackled humorlessly. “Fair? You wouldn’t know the concept if it bit you in your big ass. Fair is a damned mystery to you.”

Tabitha shifted her stance and sighed. “Do I really need to be present just to listen to you two bitch at each other?”

Jen whirled around on her. “Your inability to keep possession of the stone is the fracking cause of this mess. So, yeah, Tabby, you’re going to stand there and listen to this bitch session. Unless you would prefer to be a participant?”

The other blonde shook her head. “No thanks.”

“I’m more than happy to be a part of it,” Charlie said, walking in through the door. Tracy was right behind him.

“Count me in, too,” she said.

Jen rolled her eyes. “Great, just want I needed. An impromptu meeting of the Stone of Invidia users.” She smirked at Charlie. “Well, Cin, you might not be Elite material anymore, but you’re a lot better looking than she used to be.” She hooked her thumb in my direction. “At least you don’t have an oil slick running down your head.”

“Shut up,” Charlie snapped, stopping to stand next to me. “I didn’t like you before I made my wish. I like you even less now.”

Jen crossed her arms over her chest. “You think I give a damn if you like me? If anyone likes me?” There was bravado in her words, but none of it reached her eyes.

“What did you wish for?” Tracy asked. “You know what ours was. Time to share with the group.”

Jen glanced at her and began to laugh. “Really? You think just because you all roll in here that you can order me around? I’m the fracking head of the Elite, dorkette. I don’t take orders from social rejects.” Her angry eyes moved to me. “Or even former ones.”

“Just tell them,” Tabitha said. “Otherwise, they’re not going to shut up about it.”

“No,” Jen replied.

“Then tell us who your partner was,” Charlie said.

“Again, no.”

The five of us stood there for a few moments, staring at each other. We were in a stalemate.

“What’s the big deal?” I asked. “It’s not like we can change your wish. Or even tell anyone about it.”

Jen giggled. “I know. You tried to tell Sarah Strand about the stone and the wishes that you and Tabitha and I had made. She thought you were lying to hide something from her.” That evil twinkle that I knew all too well appeared in her eyes. “Of course, I had to show my camaraderie to my fellow Raiderette. I told her that you did have a secret you were keeping from her. But that my conscience wouldn’t allow me to reveal.”

My mouth dropped open. “You bitch!”

She nodded. “Guilty as charged. From the way she was talking, it’s a safe bet that the long-time friendship between you two is over. Permanently.” She was practically floating.

My heart sank, and I almost let myself fall to the floor. Only sheer determination that I wasn’t going to collapse in front of my worst enemy kept me on my feet.

“Once again, Sam, I win. And you lose. You might have maxed your charisma with your wish, but you turned your wisdom into a dump stat.”

I felt my jaw drop. Do what? What had the Ice Queen just said to me?

Before I could ask her to repeat herself, a voice behind us derailed my train of thought and sent my hopes soaring again.

“You haven’t won just yet,” Lee said as he entered the Clubhouse. “So I wouldn’t try taking any victory laps.”

“Lee?” Jen said, her eyes widening as she looked him over. “Oh … my … god.”

It took me a second, but then I realized that she hadn’t seen him since Geoff’s wish had de-footballed him.

“You have always been a negative influence at this school, Jennifer,” the handsome boy said. “Belittling people. Making other miserable simply for the fun of it. Acting like you were better than everyone. And it turns out, it’s just a lie. A sham. You only pretend like you’re superior.” He shook his head. “When all you really are is a cheater.”

“Oh, Lee. I’m sorry to see what has become of you. But not so sorry that I’m not going to refrain from destroying your reputation.”

He simply smiled. “Save your breath. You should stop making threats and start telling Pee-Jay and the others what you did and who you did it with.”

Jen arched an eyebrow. “Is that so? Why should I? Because you’re asking so nicely.”

“No,” my former boyfriend said in a completely calm voice. “Because if you don’t, then I’m going to use this to make you.”

His right hand, which had been held slightly behind him since the moment he entered the Clubhouse, came into view.

In it was the wishing stone.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well this makes things

well this makes things interesting. I can't wait for the next chapter.

The logical twist

erin's picture

It's inexorable, just when you're baffled where the story is going, the thing you should have expected happens. Nice hiding the shell under the coconut, Mistress. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Cliff?

Sara Hawke's picture

Is this the moment we are hanging off the edge of a cliff? Nay tis not as we were propelled off said cliff like Wile E Coyote and are currently dangling in space before we realize we are going to fall.

So many different directions....

This is too good.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Partners

I hope Lee chooses Sarah as his wish partner. She's nice enough she'd wish for his cousin to get better if that's what he wants.

Or maybe I just want cake - everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like Sarah/Lee!

As you wish.

Lily Rasputin's picture

As you wish.

"All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allen Poe

confrontation

oh boy!

DogSig.png

Confession time, and a mulligan?

Jamie Lee's picture

Is the stone really protecting itself by making non-users think the person revealing all is lying, or is Sarah so hurt by her own innuendos about PeeJ and Tabitha she isn't able to see the truth when its presented to her?

Miss bitch returned thinking she was still Godzilla only to find out her breath was no longer radioactive. And she was going to ream a changed Sam a new one. Never in her years as head bitch, did she ever think anyone would speak to her as PeeJ just did.

Or, be put between a rock and a hard place when Lee, of all people, walked into their clubhouse with the dreaded wishing stone.

Now the whole Jen truth will come out, and maybe everything will get straightened out?

Others have feelings too.

Maybe

Lily Rasputin's picture

Hopefully the final chapter ties things up neat enough to be enjoyable.

Thank you for all your comments and musings.

XOXO,

Limbo's

"All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allen Poe

"In it was the wishing stone."

Daphne Xu's picture

Have things reached the bottom, and started turning up again? Or is this a Hope Spot? The Stone is dangerous. But then the one thing needed to be credible about one's threats is to be dangerous.

Earlier:

Once PJ gets in her cheerleading uniform, she becomes just a bit too cheerful. But then she meets and tries to talk to Sarah again.

PJ seems to have forgotten that their friendship is less than a week old.

Make Way for the Princess: "A pair of guys I recognized from my ... Sam's ... AP Chemistry class..." PJ missed an opportunity to conk those boys senseless, and make the rest of their year: greet and thank them by name.

-- Daphne Xu