My Super-powered Diary: Chapter 29

Printer-friendly version
Merida.png
My Super-powered Diary
Chapter 29
Pink Alert

By
Amethyst


When Maddock Ainsley gets involved in a rescue operation with his unit things go horribly wrong and his life is forever changed. Can the newly minted Merida cope with being a girl and a teenage super hero?
“Yup, I totally remember seeing that in the manual, I think it was on page thirty two,” Vanessa agreed.

 


 
Author's Note: Happy Saturday everyone, here's chapter 29 of MSPD. I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for supporting my stories. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 29: Pink Alert

I wasn’t really thinking when I ran into the house, I just needed to get some space while I tried to sort through the crushing torrent of emotions that threatened to overwhelm me. What had I done? Confusion, desire, joy, fear, and anxiety had all seemed to hit me at once the moment our lips had parted and I had come to my senses. Without consciously making my way there I ended up in my bedroom and onto the bed, and that was probably a good thing, because now that I had some space and time between me and what happened joy and desire had left the building, leaving me to the mercy of anxiety, fear, and confusion.

That being the case, my powers had kicked in and I was having a hard time controlling them. I was safe within the energy shield around my bed though, as I tried to calm both myself and my powers and figure out just what I was feeling and why. I was still attempting to do that, and wipe the tears from my eyes, when Tasha’s voice slipped into my quavering mind. *Merida, we’re coming in.*

I didn’t even have time to ask who ‘we’ consisted of before the door to my room opened and Tasha stepped inside with Vanessa at her side. “Hey Mer,” Vanessa said, forcing a smile, but looking very concerned. “Everyone out there is pretty worried about you y’know. Tasha managed to convince them all to not come rushing in here and just let us handle it though. Fawn and the twins really wanted to come too, but this talk is more of a big sisters thing, and without you out there Fawn will need to keep an eye on Peaches.”

Both of them came toward the bed and sat down on the floor, just outside the currently active energy shield. Tasha didn’t take her eyes off me, giving me a steady penetrating look as she got comfortable. Then she gave me a sisterly smile and said, “Okay Merida, I know that you’re starting to get the big sister role down with the twins, but you’re so damn self-reliant and unwilling to ask others for help outside of combat conditions that you probably don’t really have the kid sister perspective down yet. So here’s how this is going to work. I’m psychic so I already have a pretty good idea what set you off, but you are going to tell me and Vanessa what it is and we’re going to listen, be there for you, and help you to either deal with it or put it in perspective until you feel better, because that’s what big sisters do.”

“There may or may not also be ice cream and/or chocolate involved at some point, depending on how well things go,” Vanessa added with a nod before crossing her arms in front of her chest expectantly. “Now get talking missy, because we’re not going anywhere until you do.”

I looked from one to the other, wiping tears from my eyes as I struggled to get my powers back under control. They were serious. The thing was that I wanted, no needed, to talk to them about this because I was so uncertain what I should be doing, or feeling. I sniffled a bit and let out a long sigh, uncertain of what to say since I was uncertain of what my real problem was with all the conflicting emotions. That was part of the problem though, I felt like a victim to my emotions. When I had kissed Hiro, and then when I had run off I hadn’t been thinking, I had been letting my emotions, and possibly biology, control my reactions and it had been far from the first time.

Finally, seeing that they weren’t going anywhere until I talked to them, I took a deep breath as I tried to sort out what was going on in my head and heart. The problem was that my emotions and thoughts were both all over the place. Quietly and tentatively I said, “I’m no’ shoor tha’ I really ken wot the problem is. I felt like I was finally adjustin’ tae ma new life, an’ I was gettin’ on barry. Now though, ma heart an’ mind are switherin’ and I dinnae ken wot tae fookin’ dae.”

“Wow, my Scottish must be improving, because I actually understood about half of that,” Tasha teased before turning serious. “You’re doing fine Mer, you’ve been adjusting well, despite everything that’s been thrown our way lately, but what is it specifically that set you off and has you so confused?”

I looked down at the Bow of Amaterasu, still clenched tightly in my hand and tried again to steady my breathing and calm myself. I held it out for them to get a good look and asked, “Dae ya ken wot this is?”

“Holy crap! Is that Bright’s Bow?” Vanessa asked leaning closer to the energy shield surrounding my bed for a better look.

“Aye ‘Nessa. The Forrester’s gave it tae me as a gift. It was Hiro’s idea. It should ‘ave been passed down tae ‘im, bu’ he ‘ad ‘is Mom give it tae me. I go’ all caught up in the moment an’ wasnae thinkin’, an’ I jus’ kissed ‘im,” I admitted feeling my face flush. “I… think tha’ I really liked it… bu’ I freaked out a wee bi’. Ma emotions are all o’er the place, an’ kind o’ overwhelmin’. Its mos’ly confusion, bu’ I think tha’ I was ‘appy, an’ wanted more, ‘bu a’ the same time I was scared an’ anxious. It wasnae like tha’ when Conduit kissed me, sure he was cute an’ it was nice, bu’ I was really annoyed wit’ him too. I didnae freak out near this bad then so shouldn’t it ‘ave been easier?”

“Your confusion is understandable, given your situation,” Tasha told me with a sympathetic look. “Not just because of the gender, age, and sexuality switcharoo, though that probably plays a large part. You didn’t really know Conduit, and you said he annoyed you with the whole damsel in distress shtick. You’re attracted to Hiro though, you like him, this time you did the kissing, and it was a real kiss, not just receiving a peck on the cheek. That is a huge difference and you’re not used to giving in to your emotions that way.”

“But I’m no’…” I began to argue.

Tasha just sighed and rolled her eyes. “Don’t even think about denying it Merida, anyone who’s in the same time zone as you two can see how into each other you are. Anyway, getting back to my point; you have to remember that, with your PCEDS, emotions hit you harder than most girls, and girls are generally more likely to give in to emotional impulses. We aren’t as closed off as guys are that way, and biology plays a part in that. You like him, you’re attracted to him, and he did something that was incredibly sweet, so of course you kissed him. I would have kissed him too.”

“I would have too,” Vanessa agreed. “Mer, you are a girl who just had your first real kiss with a boy who you really like, and from what I was able to see neither of you was holding back. All of those emotions, even a bit of confusion, are completely understandable and nobody is going to judge you for feeling them, especially Hiro. He probably has a good idea what you’re going through, having been a girl himself before Activating. Any girl would feel that way. When I had my first kiss I was giddy and wanted to do it again, but at the same time that he might not have liked it, that maybe it was too soon. I was anxious too, all like; ‘Does he want to do it again? Should I let him if he does? And OMG this changes everything between us! What do I do?!’ The first kiss is a big thing for any girl.”

Having them break it all down for me like that, and even better, knowing that I wasn’t really feeling anything too unusual came as a great relief to me. We talked about things for a little while longer and I began to relax and feel not quite so terrified. I was able to get my powers back under control and, though I was blushing as red as my hair at the thought of facing Hiro and his parents again, I figured that I could manage being around people again. I took a deep breath, placed the Bow of Amaterasu carefully on top of my dresser for the moment and then gave Vanessa and Tasha both a big hug. “Thanks… fer bein’ great big sisters.”

Tasha grinned at me as she let me go. “What are big sisters for? We’re still kind of new at this, but we’re doing our best. I think there are rules though, like we have to tease you mercilessly about the boy you like.”

“Yup, I totally remember seeing that in the manual, I think it was on page thirty two,” Vanessa agreed. “So, are you looking forward to the big date on Friday?”

“I didnae agree tae tha’, you did,” I pointed out. I was looking forward to it though. I was insanely nervous, but still looking forward to it. Still I was a little unsure of why everyone was trying to push us into some sort of relationship. “All o’ ya really go’ tae stop tryin’ tae push us t’gether.”

“I think she doth protest too much,” Vanessa teased before hugging me again. “Really Mer, we might all tease you a bit, but nobody is going to force you and Hiro together. Like Tasha said though, anyone who knows one or both of you can see how into one another you are and we all just want you to be happy. What’s the harm in getting to know one another to see if you can be happy together? If anyone deserves a bit of happiness it’s you.”

I was still blushing as Vanessa let me go. “Okay, I… guess tha’ yuir right aboot tha. An’ I dae kind o’ like ‘im. He’s cute, sweet, funny, an’ he’s… umm… a right fair kisser. Mebbe I should give this a chance a’ least.”

“Good, now let’s get back to the party so you can give him an apology kiss,” Tasha jibed, pulling me toward the door.

When we got back outside and to the party it was near twilight and Andy was starting a fire in the fire pit. I was nearly knocked off my feet as Mom, the twins and all of the Fairies pounced on me to give me hugs, but once I had managed to convince them all that I was feeling better, and gave a somewhat awkward apology to Hiro’s parents, Lindsey’s cousin Jordyn, and the members of 4-ward for running off like I did, the party was back in full swing. I managed to get comfortable near the fire pit with Peaches and Fawn both snuggled up in my lap and Mom brought out all the makings for s’mores.

While we were cooking them she took Lindsey, Jordyn, Michelle, Garret, and Hiro all inside briefly to get their measurements in the costume maker and start making them new costumes from Mithrilex so they would be as safe as possible when doing hero work. It took a bit longer with Jordyn, since she didn’t have a signature costume and they had to design one for her, but soon they were all back outside and we were all chatting over the warm fire and s’mores while the machine worked on assembling their new costumes. With the exception of my brief freak-out it had been a really nice night, but it had to end sooner or later.

Once we had all said our good nights including a somewhat awkward and pulse pounding goodnight kiss between Hiro and I, our guests were headed home for the night. We all went back outside to clean up, but Mom and Andy only let Tasha and Vanessa help with that. Mei, Shu, and I were excused because we were the birthday girls, and we just had to take our gifts back to our rooms. Once I had brought everything else to my room, and placed Peaches’ temporary basket by my bed for the moment, I got ready for bed and climbed in with Fawn laying on the pillow beside me. I could have brought Peaches with me to cuddle too, but I didn’t want to risk it yet until I knew that she really was as able to take the heat as Mei thought she was. She had seemed fine when Fawn was with her earlier and her own force field had mimicked my loss of control, but I still wanted to try to safely test it.

It was as we lay there, almost ready to sleep, that Fawn ventured, “I’m glad that you’re feeling better Merida I was worried. I’m glad that you decided to go out with Hiro too, I like him, and the other Fairies feel the same way. I have a question though.”

“Thanks Fawn, yuir a good friend an’ I value yuir opinion. Wot dae ya wan’ tae ask”?

“Well,” the Fairy began uncertainly. “Fairies aren’t really born like humans are, we’re born from a baby’s first laugh. We don’t really measure time in the same way you do in Pixie Hollow either. I mean, we know what a day is, but we don’t really keep track of them the way humans here do, though we will kind of need to now for school and stuff. So I was wondering, do you think that I have a birthday?”

I turned my head to smile at her. “O’ course ya dae silly Fairy. I dinnae ken the day tha’ ya were born, but’ tha’s no’ really as importan’ as celebratin’ the fact tha’ yuir alive an’ ‘ave family an’ friends tha’ love an’ care fer ya. Ya have an identity now though, an’ the documents tae prove it, fer Lisa Anne Conrad. All o’ those documents tha’ I’m keepin’ fer ya in ma purse say tha’ yuir birthday is September fifteenth. I dinnae care if it’s jus’ you, me an’ some o’ the local animals, we’re goin’ tae celebrate ma bes’ friend’s birthday this year, an’ every year after. Sumthin’ tells me though, tha’ it’s goin’ tae be one ‘ell o’ a party.”

Fawn snuggled closer to the side of my face. “Thanks Merida, I’m so happy to have a best friend like you, and now we have Peaches too.”

“Aye, yuir welcome Fawn. I dinnae ken wot I did tae deserve a friend like you, but I’m glad tae ‘ave you an’ Peaches both. Sleep well ma friend.”

~”~”~

The morning of my ‘birthday’ was like any other day, except for everyone telling me happy birthday. I couldn’t really see it as mine though since it had just been an arbitrary date we had picked out for my cover story and since I had celebrated the day before with my sisters. Still the sentiment was nice at least. Once Fawn had managed to calm me from the nightmares we got dressed for our morning training session and I put myself, my sisters and our Fairy friends through a vigorous workout and an intense hand to hand combat training session. The Fairies may not use it much, but it was good discipline for them and I was also teaching them every dirty trick I could think of for when they had to fight human sized opponents.

After showering, cooking, eating breakfast, and feeding Peaches we discussed what we wanted to do for the day, since Mom and Andy were busy at the school. I wanted to go to a pet store and see about getting some things for Peaches, and Fawn and I would need some camping gear and supplies for our overnight trip the next day too so I had planned to meet Hiro at Surf n’ Turf for that. Fawn and the other Fairies volunteered to stay home and dragon-sit while I did that though. It worked out since Fawn wanted to start training Peaches ASAP, Iridessa and Silvermist wanted to sunbathe on the beach for a bit, and Tink and Periwinkle wanted to spend some sister time together and maybe work on one of Tink’s doodads.

My sisters all decided that we should make a trip of it to the mall together since the Fairies were going to be busy, though they promised to find something else to do if it looked like Hiro and I needed some alone time. Their offer only made me blush and insist that sister time was fine with me. Since it was so bloody hot we decided to dress light; The twins wore shorts, light blouses, and sneakers, Tasha wore cut-off shorts, a halter top, and heeled sandals, while Vanessa and I both donned sundresses and sandals over our bikinis, hers a dark blue and white while mine was a forest green with a floral print. We headed to the mall together planning to meet up with Hiro at Surf n’ Turf.

Hiro didn’t think that Fawn and I would need much except for food when we discussed it at the store. Mom had already prepared in case we wanted to go camping, and both Fawn and I had Mithrilex sleeping bags already waiting for us. Michelle was borrowing a large cooler for food and drinks and had a lot of the gear we would need as a group already. Since I wouldn’t need a flashlight or lighter or anything with my powers, all I would really need, besides chipping in for food, would be some comfortable clothes for the trip, a bikini, my surfboard, and maybe some spelunking gear.

We were looking at the latter when the entire mall seemed to shake with the distant sound of an explosion. Dropping what we were looking at, the six of us made a run for the source of the sound. There was a massive hole in the ceiling of the mall and five girls were hovering over the fleeing crowds wearing what looked like pink and white Japanese school uniforms and tiny little pink domino masks that did nothing to hide their appearances. Despite their dress, not a single one of them were Japanese, or even Asian, they were all white and looked to be in their late teens; one blonde, two brunettes, a redhead and the last had hair as pink as her uniform.

The pink haired one shouted out in a sing-song manner over the screams of the fleeing crowd, “Ohayou everyone! We’re looking for five teenage girls who were last seen in this city! Whoever helps us find them gets to not die!”

Hiro was looking pissed off and muttering about cultural appropriation and I was about ready to go in swinging when Tasha stopped me, pointing to the blonde and the pink haired girl. “We need our costumes first, and not just for the whole secret identity thing. I’m absolutely sure of two things right now; they’re looking for us for some reason and those two are Cat Fives.”

Shu was already at work opening the pocket dimension containing our costumes. “Okay everyone, the changing room is open. Let’s make it quick.”

I handed Hiro the spare mask from my purse before he could run off to face them alone. “Try no’ tae fight unless ya ‘ave tae, keep ‘em talkin’, bu’ focused on you until we kin join ya an’ so the innocent bystanders ‘ave time tae get out o’ here.”

“I’ll do what I can,” he said as he grimly donned the mask and headed toward them. As I stepped into the pocket dimension I heard him call out, “Hey! Nobody has to get hurt here, just tell me who you’re looking for and maybe we can discuss this like civilized people.”

What followed was the quickest costume change in history, well our history anyway since none of us has super speed. I guess I do, but only with my force field on… anyway I digress. Once we were all dressed more appropriately and Shu and Mei had their gear belts on we ran onto the scene where one of the brunettes was gripping Hiro by the throat and trying, not too successfully to choke the life out of him. *Bystanders are all out of the combat zone Merida, it’s only us, Hiro and these Sailor Scout wannabe’s.*

*Good, let’s see what they want, but everyone be careful. We don’t have the Fairies here so flying is out for most of you,* I cautioned. Then I stepped out into the open. “Oi there! Lookin’ fer us? Put ‘im down an’ tell us wot yuir wantin’.”

The pink-haired one, who seemed to be the leader, turned to the brunette holding Hiro. She tossed him aside and her eyes widened when instead of crashing into the wall he just hovered there, ten feet away from her and said, “Thanks for coming G-Force. Talking wasn’t really working out so well, but at least I gave those other people time to escape.”

Pink didn’t look too happy about the fact that they’d apparently been suckered out of causing an even bigger scene, but her frown quickly turned into a smile, the kind of smile where you can tell that not everything is working right upstairs. “Ohayou! We’re Code Pink, and we’re here to invite you to join the Shadow Syndicate. It’s a wonderful organization devoted to world conquest and there’s plenty of room for advancement. We’d be so happy to have you as playmates.”

“Tha’s a temptin’ offer an’ all, bu’ wot ‘appens if we decide tha’ we dinnae wan’ tae take ya up on it?” I asked pointedly. A recruitment attempt for an evil organization by a team of pink clad psychopaths really wasn’t how I was expecting to spend my day today. And there were two Cat Fives among them, but I had no idea what their powers were. That’s when I figured that I was in for a very long day.

“This happens.” Pinky was as fast as I was with my force field up and before any of us could react some sort of purple and pink flames shot from her opened hand to wash over Hiro.

“Hiro!” I half gasped and half screamed. I could feel the heat from where I was standing, those flames were hot, nearly as hot when I go plasma. Her physical attributes didn’t seem to be higher than Cat three from the way she moved and the way she was flying when we first saw them. So I was willing to bet that if she had a Cat Five ability that was it. I could see it in the smile on her face as she showed it off. Hiro was only a Cat three, even his invulnerability wasn’t going to save him. He’d have to be a Cat Five himself to survive an attack like that.

I fell to my knees in shock, and I could feel the tears starting to fall as she let the flames fade. I’m not really sure who was more stunned by what happened next, my team or hers. Hiro was gone, but where he had previously hovered in the air there was now a petite, pretty, and very naked Japanese girl with glowing golden hair and eyes wearing the mask I had loaned Hiro. The girl frantically tried to cover herself with her hands as she cursed. “Aww dammit, this is sooo embarrassing!” Then she looked at me and gave a nervous smile before tentatively finger waving. “Well, this is awkward. Soooo… uhh… Flare, do you think I could borrow something to wear before we kick the crap out of these nut-cases. The other members of 4-ward should be on their way.”

 

Merida's Corner.jpg

 

‘ello agin e’eryone an’ welcome agin tae Merida’s Corner. Today I will be teachin’ all o’ ya aboot Tinkers. Tinkers are mutants who ‘ave ‘ah their intelligence dramatically increased when they Activated intae the genius range an’ sometimes e’en more than tha’. Hypers who become geniuses are no’ necessarily Tinker’s though, since tae be classified a Tinker tha intelligence ‘as tae go ‘and in ‘and wit’ a talent an’ almos’ overwhelmin’ desire fer creation or invention in their area or areas of int’rest. They use tha’ intellect an’ their inherent creative talents tae create incredibly complex an’ advanced devices, gadgets, weapons, or fer other endeavors wi’ the power o’ SCIENCE! There are two categories o’ Tinkers: Focused Tinkers an’ Spectrum Tinkers.

Focused Tinkers are those whose intellect an’ creative talents are focused solely in one area. This area could be technology, weapons or defense systems, medical tech, engineerin’, genetics, or various other technical fields. They usually find themselves drawn tae this type o’ creation, needin’ tae build things, often wit’out e’en consciously tryin’ or thinkin’ aboot it. its no’ so much a focus as a compulsion tha’ they kin no’ easily resist.

Spectrum Tinkers, like ma sister/mom Blair, are much more versatile than their Focused counterparts. Their interests an’ talents kin encompass two, or a wide variety o’ diff’ren scientific fields. They also dinnae feel as strongly compelled to focus on a single field o’ study or research. They kin easily switch from one tae another an’ often ‘ave an improved mem’ry an’ learnin’ capability in addition tae their other mental gifts. Tha’s why Blair ‘as so many bloody doctorates an’ kin use ‘er talents in so many diff’ren fields. While Focused Tinkers kin be anywhere from a Cat’gory One tae a Cat Five, Spectrum Tinkers are always Cat’gory Four or ‘igher.

Well, tha’s all tha’ I ‘ave tae say aboot Tinkers today, so tha’s all fer now an’ I’ll see all o’ ya nex’ week tae talk aboot Mystics. ‘til then, this is Merida signin’ off.

Copyright © 2019-2020 Amethyst Gibbs
up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An interesting twist to

An interesting twist to Merida's love life. Is Hiro permanently a girl now? If Merida gets hit with that fire will she be a guy again? Will Merida still be attracted to Hiro if they are both girls? Why must you play with our emotions, Amethyst? I guess I'll just have to sit and sulk for a week (hopefully not any longer than that) to find out. :(
P.S. this was a great chapter.

It's a twist

Amethyst's picture

We shall find out soon, I'm not saying anything for now. But I'm pretty sure that she wasn't planning on turning Merida and the others into girls if they refused to cooperate lol. Stay tuned next week to see what happens ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I'm sorry I've given up

I'm sorry, I have given up on this story. Merida's speech is too obfuscated for me to enjoy reading this story. A pity really because I really wanted to know how she got along.

Anne Margarete

Truly? I have less issue

Truly? I have less issue with the phonetisation of northern Scots than I do with deep south "ignorant".


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Sorry to hear that Anne

Amethyst's picture

Sorry to hear that Anne Margaret, but I can completely understand that. Thick accents in writing can be hard to follow when reading. I have a hard time writing it sometimes too.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yup

Amethyst's picture

At least he's not extra crispy. And it's not like he's never been a girl before.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Two consecutive sentences had me so excited

Nyssa's picture

You got barry and switherin in two sentences in a row, lol! Loved this chapter and very excited for the upcoming battle and explanation about Hiro.

I did!

Amethyst's picture

I may 'ave been a wee bi' giddy when writin' tha' too ;)

Glad you enjoyed it and yes a battle and explanation should be forthcoming soon.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

And so it begins

Jamie Lee's picture

A first kiss, by a girl whose emotions are still in flux in her mind, and she feels upset. Only a short time ago she was a hulking hunk kicking butt until it all changed, and he finds himself a young girl.

Of course her emotions will be all over the place, it's to be expected when he suddenly finds himself a girl. It's tough to think of himself as herself, much less get used to the emotions. And her first real kiss with a boy she likes. Or is he a boy?

Why can't a nice shopping trip be just a nice shopping trip without morons spoiling it all? Pink has come in all cocky, thinking they have the upper hand. However, they know nothing about the girls and Hiro, and that may be their big mistake.

Others have feelings too.