Castle The Series - 0117 Lyre, George, The Kitchens, The Mill

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00314010

I HAVE MAEKT A CRIB MY LOVE

LYRE’S (27) BABE GOSHAWK

16th of Minyet Day 314

Lyre had been thrilled when she missed her lunetime and telt George she thought she was pregnant. George had not expected to be that excited by anything any longer. He had fallen in love with his wife who was thirty-two years younger than he, and as Lyre’s body had changed with her pregnancy she had insisted George help her in the writing of her book, especially concerning what they had enjoyed in bed despite her bump. Lyre, a shy but determined woman, had become increasingly flirtatious and amorous as her pregnancy progressed, and George began to have a male Folk appreciation of her. Every night before they slept, she insisted he put his hand on her to feel the babe move. She had also maekt it clear her pregnancy was no excuse for them not to make love.

“I love you, and I wish to be sure you love me too. After all you need to keep practising because I wish a family, not just one.” George was not unwilling, but he was careful. Lyre was the best thing that had ever happened to him, and she maekt his busy and potentially stressful craft life enjoyable and stress free because she managed the rest of his life for him and he had her to return to after the day’s work was over. Lyre had fallen in love with George on sight, and she loved looking after him. Marriage to such a high status man, who she knew would end on the Council, was not something she had initially even considered, but she enjoyed that too. His marriage had taken years off him, and his fellow crafters had noticed he had lost weighth and had a sharper focus on his crafting activities much to the consternation of their younger apprentices. Lyre had started birthing in the mid-afternoon having agreed with Irena Lilly was to be her midwife though Irena would be present.

Lyre was Lilly’s first experience of being the midwife in charge, but as Irena telt her, “You have the childbearing hips that should give you a trouble free birthing, and Lilly has birtht more than a dozen under my guidance. Lilly will be in charge of you, which will of course leave me free to deal with George.”

The three of them had all laught, and Lyre had said, “You have no idea how grateful I am an experiencet woman will be managing my man.” They had all laught a lot more at that. Lyre had a trouble free experience, and though her birthing lasted sixteen hours, Lilly had felt the powerful herbs which aided the womb to push, but which invariably caused damage requiring stitching, were not necessary. Goshawk was birtht as dawn was braeking, and George, who had become anxious in the last hour, was much relieved. He had throughout done what Lyre and then Lilly had telt him, and had, from the midwifes’ point of view, been a model husband. After Goshawk had been nursed for the first time, he had held his son, and his eyes were moist.

He had given Goshawk back to Lyre, and kissed her saying, “I may not be in Peregrine’s class artistically, but I have maekt a crib, my love. I shall fetch it for you to see, if you don’t mind.”

Lyre nodded, and he left to return within a couple of minutes with a crib that looked like a highly detailed miniature reaper-binder on rockers. Lyre thought it was beautiful, and in a voice thickened with emotion, said, “It is entirely appropriate for the sons of a man such as yourself.” Tears were in her eyes, but she continued, “I do hope you have given some thought to a crib appropriate for our daughters too.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00318010

THE SETTING OF THE WHEEL

RIDICULOUS EASE

20th of Minyet Day 318

The mill wheel housing was ready for the wheel to be housed in it. George had arrived to supervise the installation of the axle journals in the bearings. He had removed the thrust bearings and the bearings off the axle and installed the lower bearing halfs on their supports on the housing without fully affixing them. The sheerleg crane waggon he had designed and had had built to lift the wheel had been tested and retested before it had moved the wheel to the dock. It had been capable of lifting the wheel with ridiculous ease. Graill, who had heard of the horses’ unease with the swinging wheel at the dock had had the horses pulling and reversing the crane waggon with a heavy suspended load for two tenners. He backed the waggon to where the crane could lower the wheel into position in the channel and the horses were happy with what was expected of them.

As the journals settled into the lower halfs of their bearings the bearings oozed grease and moved a little. George tapped them and then tightened them a bit on to the housing fixture. The slings were removed from the wheel, and Graill drove the waggon away. George installed the bearing upper halfs, tightened them a bit and rotated the wheel slowly. He reinstallt the thrust bearings, clamped a metal rod to a pole driven into the ground and watched the gap between the wheel surface and the end of the rod. He set the rod on the other side of the wheel and did it again. He looked a Judith and said, “I’ll just tighten it all, but that’s it. I suggest greasing every hour of service till the bearings run themselves in, say the first ten hours, at a speed of no more than five revolutions a minute. I’ll want to check again and possibly readjust and shim the bearings then, but she’s done.” He tightened the bearing mountings, the thrust bearings and the upper bearing halfs and said, “Its up to Oak and the rest of you now.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00320010

AROMATIC DAAL SKINK

WHITE WHEAT

22nd of Minyet Day 320

At one of their regular early morning meetings Dabchick telt Iola, “We’ve nigh fifty weights of saltt silvers(1) left. Grangon won’t use so small a quantity, but they may be good in soup for they have a strong taste and the liquid would dilute the salt. We will them uest before this year’s catch is with us. Can you help?”

Iola knew silvers were a herring like fish of between one and two spans long, but was unaware they were preserved by salting. Most were used fresh or were frozen. “I’ll have a look and consider the matter, Dabchick.” Two days later, it was a surprise when she saw the fish. The fish were fillett, were in two large crocks under oil and reminded her of over sized anchovies. Moreover they smelt like anchovies. “How are these normally servt, Dabchick?”

“With salad, but once the summer is over there is little demand, so we never prepare many thus. Can you use them?”

“Yes. I’ve an idea that’s not soup, but I’ll need to recall the details. As soon as I do I’ll try it.”

Iola’s idea was for Anchoïade with crudites. Crudites she knew were oft served as a side dish by Fulbert’s vegetable cooks with a variety of sauces. Anchoïade was traditionally maekt with anchovy, but may hap saltt silvers would work. Dairy oil,(2) garlic, griselle,(3) soured red wine,(4) fish, and mercyfruit(5) were what she had to work with. If it didn’t work she’d decided she would try creating the emulsion using egg yolks like a mayonnaise. She had no idea of quantities, but started with a gill(6) of oil, four cloves of garlic, a medium sized griselle, a large serving spoon of soured wine, a pair of large silver fillets and not too much mercyfruit. After gently frying the garlic and griselle in some of the oil, she added the fish and soured wine and reduced the volume braeking the fish up as it cooked. On removal from the heat and allowing to cool she added the remaining oil in small increments incorporating it into an emulsion with a whisk, after which she added just enough mercyfruit to be noticeable. A little cream and it was done, and she’d not needed the egg. Iola collected some fresh vegetables from Coaltit and invited Fulbert, Coaltit, and Dabchick to lunch. Fulbert took a copy of her written notes for Silver Anchoïade with Crudites and said he would send staff to collect the saltt silvers later that afternoon.

~o~O~o~

One of the strangest of soups, or at least a soup with the strangest origins, that was now being prepared regularly, had come to be by serendipity. The base wasn’t aught to do with Iola’s crafters but the vegetable cooks. A regular and popular staple was Aromatic White Wheat which was served with a variety of dishes. The wheat, a mill polished and almost tasteless pale variety grown because it would readily accept and extend any flavour, was cooked in water to which had been added a ready maekt, highly fragrant, aromatic tasting spice mixture Spoonbill prepared several weights of at a time. The spice mix maekt the water bright yellow, and the wheat taekt up the colour as well as the fragrance and taste. Iola had eaten aromatic white wheat with spiced lamb for her eve meal, and, despite the intriguing hint of menthol, considered it to be the nearest thing to a curry she had eaten since her arrival.

She had asked Spoonbill what went into the wheat to give it its fragrance and taste. “It’s addet to the cooking water not to the wheat directly, Iola. Let me see, bay, cumin, fray,(7) quorice,(8) orkæke,(9) gær,(10) droon,(11) coriander, fennel, scentet balm,(12) reedroot,(13) a trace of dryt mercyfruit and an even smaller trace of wintergreen,(14) and salt of course, it’s the reedroot and fray that give it the colour. I make it in quantity for the vegetable cooks. Would you like some?”

“How much would I need to flavour a twenty five gallon batch of small pulse soup?”

“Rather a lot, but why bother when there is probably in excess of a hundred gallons of the liquid left over after the wheat is cookt which is pourt down the drain? I suggest you have spaech with the vegetable cooks regards it.”

Iola went to see Fulbert, who said, “Of course you may have it, besides you have the right to it. I’ll tell you the next time we’re cooking white wheat that way and you can have a taste to see if it’s any use to you.” Fulbert, thinking of the eggshells incident, apologised saying, “May hap, I should have let you know, but I never considert it as aught other than waste cooking water. My sorrow, Iola, but if we produce aught even vaguely like it in future I shall tell you. At the moment we do naught else like it though.”

Iola had smiled and said, “This is a new thing, so you not thinking of it is understandable, and besides it may not turn out to be a good idea.”

Four days later Iola and Parsley went to see and taste the remaining bright yellow liquid and they decided it was definitely worth investigating. Even using yoken,(15) it taekt several of Iola’s staff half an hour and any number of journeys to transfer the liquid to her kitchens in pails, and as a result she asked Knapps to make her a water tight metal container on wheels of at least twenty five gallons capacity that could be easily cleant. She telt her crafters in the meanwhile they would just have to struggle with the pails. Her pulse of choice was a tiny, bright-blue-skinned one which fell after a few minutes in boiling water, but it maekt the soup green, and she wished to retain the bright yellow colour, so she tried a slightly larger buff pulse which cooked in the liquid to mush in twenty minutes.

Spoonbill opined the soup was not initially in any further need of his services, but it was short of some meat flavour, and it was in need of some fat too, to smooth the texture of the pulses out, and then he could refine the spicing. Iola agreed. At her request for some fatty birds Gage had given her six cock pheasants and a cock slew,(16) courtesy of the peregrines, with which she had intended to boost the flavour of a Cock-a-Leekie soup intended for a lunch. In stead she cooked them, along with some extra venison fat from above the tail and the tail itself, for the rest of the day in a minimum of water to produce a powerful and concentrated fatty stock. The solids were strained off to the big stock kettle, and some of the remaining concentrated stock was added a little at a time to a gallon of pulse soup. A little more salt was added, and it was done. The test batch was tasted by the entire soup making staff, all agreed it was a success and the entire batch should be maekt, including the initial green gallon, which maekt no perceivable difference to the colour of a hundred and twenty-odd gallons of yellow soup.

The measure of any soup was how many folk asked when would it would be served again. Aromatic Daal Skink, was a definite success, and since Iola’s crafters weren’t cooking the wheat it was a very fast soup to make, given the base of course. The Folk had become uest to Iola’s exotic and interesting names for her soups, and loved to discuss them as they waited to be served their meal, but though they already knew that skink was a kind of soup she’d had to explain to the many who asked that daal was an alternative word for pulse uest by some groups of folk whence she came. The kitcheners wrote explanations on the menu boards because they had been asked by so many folk.

The only problem was the transfer of the liquid from the vegetable kitchens to the soup kitchens which maekt it a difficult soup to produce. Iola was, however, unwilling to give up on it, and thought of ways to manage the problem. She eventually suggested to Fulbert that since it was easier to move large quantities of hot cooked wheat than even larger quantities of hot liquid may hap the vegetable cooks would consider cooking the wheat in her kitchens to take to the kitcheners’ servers and leave the liquid where it was, or alternatively, if he were agreeable, since it only taekt fiveteen minutes to cook the wheat once the water was boiling her crafters could manage that and even take the trays of it to the servers’ hot water food warmers. Fulbert agreed immediately, and the problem was solved.

Iola’s crafters with two of Fulbert’s providing guidance cooked the wheat in a fine strainer inside a twenty-five gallon kettle which maekt handling it very easy. After the cooked wheat was removed by two crafters with a pole through the strainer’s handles, to the kettle was added a little more spice mix and the next strainer of white wheat before it was topped up with boiling water. Four batches of wheat maekt at thirty minute intervals was usually sufficient to provide for an eve meal but occasionally a fifth was maekt. Iola’s procedure uest less spice and produced twenty five gallons of a concentrated soup base with a definitely farinaceous addition from the wheat, rather than a hundred gallons of thinner base. It also only uest one kettle, and the resultant soup was a subtle but definite improvement on the first batch. The ease of handling cooked materials in a lift out strainer, which could be safely tipped out into a serving tray, had been noted by Fulbert’s crafters and the tale soon became known berount the entire kitchens. Though many cooks were reluctant to take a lead from Iola, they were given no choice when Ashridge ordered them to have Knapps measure a kettle of their choice for a strainer. He knew once they had one they would wish, and order, more.

Fulbert had expressed concern over cooking too much of the wheat because he knew of naught he could do with `it, and none ever wished it the following day. He’d wished to know if Iola could use it in soup. “Yes, but that’s wasting it. I’d make Dolmades, or Egg Fryt Wheat.”

Fulbert said, “Tell me of them, Iola, for any meal that uses such has to be in the best interests of the Folk.”

“For the dolmades, mix a bit of herbt, mincet fatty meat with the wheat, roll and fold a bit inside separatet whiteleafs(17) that have been flattent by squashing the midrib level with the leaf after immersing in boiling water for a few minutes, a pastry pin would be good for that. Traditionally it should be wine-fruit(18) leafs but many edible leafs have been uest. Cook them in the oven in deep trays with a bit stock. I’ll cook a strainer full of whole whiteleafs in boiling stock, separate the leafs and flatten them for you if you like and I’ll keep the cores. Like the dolmades the egg fryt wheat was done with a cereal callt rice whence I came. I don’t remember a receipt for egg fried rice, but it can’t be difficult. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, only add the wheat to the oil when the oil is hot, so the wheat is sealt and coatet by it and doesn’t soak it up. The oil will prevent the wheat catching in the the pan. Beat the eggs, but if you opine the wheat could use a bit more oil you could always beat some in with the egg. When the wheat is warmt through pour the egg on top of it. Allow the egg to start to set and then stir it in to braek it up, and add whatever seasoning or herbs you desire. I know cooks from where the dish originatet uest what they callt chop sticks to stir it with, they were just tapert wooden sticks. Their folk ate with a pair of chop sticks too, but the ones uest in kitchens were bigger. I’ll may hap start something by eating with a pair myself. It seems impossible at first, but it doesn’t take long to learn. Melanie’s parents sometimes uest to buy ready to eat food of that type from a place that providet free chop sticks with every meal, that’s how I learnt.”

Fulbert laught and said, “Eating with a pair of sticks would start something all right, but I suspect any number of parents would be after your blood as their children decoratet their surroundings with food in their attempts to learn how to use them. Aught like that would be irresistible to children. What would I serve the wheat with?”

“Aught, or on its own as a staple, but you could add aught you liekt to it, meat or vegetables and serve it as a main meal.”

“I’ll try it as a staple before attempting a main meal and I shall have spaech with Eudes regards that. Gratitude for the idea, Iola.”

However, Fulbert chose to try the dolmades first, but there had not been much wheat left over. The dolmades had been appreciated, and a number of diners had been disappointed when telt there was no intention to put them on the menu as they were time consuming to prepare, and merely a way of using left over wheat. Fulbert calculated that three apprentices in a forenoon could prepare enough as an accompaniment to a main meal, but he decided to ask for help to make enough for a main meal. He considered if he offered some tokens possibly older children would enjoy the task enough to wish to place with him. Next time Fulbert had the aromatic wheat cooked he asked Iola regards the egg dish. Since he was now as knowledgeable as she concerning its preparation it was an interesting experience for the pair of them. They had decided they knew what they were doing after their fourth small batch. Iola had had a couple of pairs of chop sticks maekt and presented Fulbert with a pair. Fascinated, he watched as she ate her wheat from a bowl. Iola explained the technique, but he naytheless ate his with a spoon and said he would practice later. Iola had spaech with Oullin and asked her to turn five hundred pairs from a water resistant wood. “Aspen would be reasonable and inexpensive too, Iola. How soon do you need them? I ask because if the apprentices make them when they have spare time over the next lune or so and I send them to you as they make them it will help me and of course the cost will be less.”

“That is acceptable, Oullin. Have you any idea what they will cost?”

“Not exactly but it will be of the order of a hundred pairs to a full token.”

“In that case may I have a thousand pairs as and when you can deliver?”

“Certainly”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00320020

HOT PUDDING SOUPS

SOFT BONES AND EYES

22nd of Minyet day 320

A major innovation which had come to be as a result of Iola’s crafters’ fruit preparation rôle had been the creation of dessert Hot Fruit Pudding Soups which had initially been sweetened by the addition of honey or tree sap syrup. Coaltit who was still spending time in the stores, she maintained just for the gossip, though Bruana was grateful for her continued support as she continued to learn the craft aspects of her office, had suggested the much more readily available honeyroot residues as a sweetener and she had introduced Iola to her daughter, Diana.

Pudding soups served in a mug had been especially popular with children. Hville,(19) who was the Mistress pudding cook, considered the idea not only to be an excellent way of using small quantities of fruit left over from previous meals but helpful when her crafters were hard presst because pudding soups were easy and quick to prepare. Hville had initially been reluctant to ask Iola if her crafters could make them, and spake to Adela. Adela telt her that Iola was always happy to share her ideas and in many ways was a unique Mistress cook. Iola had been delighted that Hville’s crafters would relieve hers of the task and had suggested that honeyroot could be uest to sweeten yoghurt too.

~o~O~o~

There was small amount of material produced by Iola’s soup and stock makers which was not suitable for consumption in the Refectory, including the soft bones and eyes, though eyes were edible the Folk didn’t wish to eat them. It was not necessary to dry and mill them because the dogs could eat them, so Iola had asked Gage if he would prefer such delivered to the kennels or to Ingot. Gage had been agreeable that Ingot mix the chopped material into the flour he baked the dog biscuits from, for it was one less thing he had to deal with. Ingot, a creative baker with a dislike of waste, with Iola’s consent, was using some of the soft residues after fat had been rendered by the provisioners and meat kitchens in the dog biscuits too. The crisp crackled skin Iola uest as a soup accompaniment: Scratching Cracklings. Heron, had asked Ingot if he would accept him as his personal apprentice. Ingot, pleased he had been asked by an apprentice baker of acknowledged promise, said, “Of course,” and Heron, with his Master’s approval, spent what spare time he had investigating what else from the kitchens could go into the dog biscuits because the vermin spoilt grain had all been uest and there was not much spoilt flour left to use, though it was hoped the milled bone flour would betimes be available in quantity.

When Ingot had findt out Heron was not just Iola’s heartfriend but her intendet he had asked why Heron had not telt him. Heron, bright crimson, had replied, “I doetn’t consider it was of import, and I certainly doetn’t wish to use the status of the woman I wish agreement with to gain advancement. I only wish to advance on my own merits.”

Ingot had said, “I appreciate it is important to you, Heron, and why, but it’s a riandet to me. You are on your way to becoming an excellent Master baker. I approve of your desire to learn from all, not just from me. I know you are interestet in the making of noodles and the other new products, and I am happy for you to take what ever time you need to do so. Bread, noodles, pies, pastries or biscuit for dogs, it matters not, the more you can learn the better the baker you will become. Though officially my apprentice, it is my belief you are sufficiently motivatet to learn for me to consider you to be apprenticet to yourself. Whether you like it or not, that you are the intendet of such a young woman as Iola says as much regards you as it does of her. I wish the pair of you a long and happy future together, and you have no need to be worryt because you are my apprentice not she.” Heron was glad his Master appreciated him for his own talents and efforts and had been happy to be telt to learn what ever he could from whomever he could. He was more determined than ever to become a Master baker of the widest range of skills possible, and he was now happy to discuss his dreams with Iola as she discussed hers with him.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00326010

BIRTHDAY

FIRST OF THE NAME

28th of Minyet Day 326

Twenty-five year old Rosebay gave birth to Gwyneth at just over midnight on the twenty-eightth of Minyet which was a happy event because that was her birthday too. Rosebay had chosen the name which was unknown to the Folk because it was Sheridan’s mother’s name and she both liekt the name and that her daughter would be the first to bear it on Castle. Her unpleasant memories of being groped by Jake, whom she had subsequently blown to minute pieces as a result of his own flaughtth,(20) had been long forgotten lunes since. She and Sheridan had been to have spaech with mine Master Sturgeon’s concerning returning with Gwyneth to the the Hard Edge Mine with the rest of the crew as soon as the weather improven. Sturgeon had admitted, “I know it’s selfish of me, but I’d far rather have you managing the explosives, Rosebay, than have to rely on someone I haven’t crafted with before. It takes a while to feel easy regards putting your life in the hands of a stranger, and I know the rest of the crew will feel the same. I’m relievt that you will to return, for a crying babe from time to time is something we’d all feel happier living with than the nervousth of crafting with a new explosives crafter. Mothers have to nurse, but any disruption to the crew will be minimal if any. Even if it means an extra half hour leaf(21) break they’ll be more than happy to accommodate you.”

Rosebay, who’d been a little concerned that Sturgeon and the crew would not appreciate her taking Gwyneth with her had been prepared to stay at the Keep, but Sturgeon’s words had reassured her. When Maybells came to see Gwyneth and heard she would be returning to the mine with them she said, “The women will like that, Rosebay, and most of the men too, even if they won’t admit it.”

Sheridan said, “Away from their families all will be grateful for whatever little family life they can share. You worry too much, Love.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00328010

FUTURE COUNCILLORS

COUNCIL MEETING SVERTAN

1st of Svertan Day 328

Will had had spaech with Yew and Thomas and both agreed with his view that the bone milling facility should be paid for out of the Collective. Rowan presented the matter to the Council and the matter was approven in a matter of minutes. That much more tasty, and more nutritious, soup was being maekt from less virgin material, and food waste in the dairies as well as the kitchens was nigh on naught now was a matter that, unknown to Iola, had been discussed by the Council before. Qvuine’s estimates of the food Iola was saving were considered to be proof that Milligan’s opinion of her as a future Head cook was without doubt correct. He had already informed Rowan since Iola had maekt her office of so much significance, and in the process done much to take the kitchens out of their chaotic previous state, he was going to make her one of his managers as soon as an opportunity presented itself. That of course meant the office itself would in future no longer be a step to seniority, but a consequence of the seniority he now wished to acknowledge. Iola’s negotiations to the Folk’s benefit, not just within the kitchens, meant she was regarded as a significant cook by all his significant crafters, and Milligan’s view was he would not be promoting her he would merely be recognising the situation. Rowan, who had established a comfortable relationship with Iola, as she had decided to do lunes since, had been maekt aware of her dealings with Joseph and his staff by Joseph, and fully approven of Milligan’s intention and his having already increased her remuneration to that of a manager.

That two children, for neither Gage nor Iola were fourteen Castle years old, were making such a huge difference to not just the food supply, but to the lifes of the large number of folk they associated with too, surprised the Council greatly, but as Will said, “It is possible few of us will live to see it, but without doubt those two will be Councillors, and if not, then the Folk don’t deserve to survive.” The Council all agreed with his sentiments.

When leaf had been passed berount the Councillors all looked to Gareth who as usual was chairing the meeting. Gareth was Thomas’ deputy Master at arms and usually taekt the minutes as well. “Thomas wills spaech,” Gareth announced.

“I bethink me Will should tell you of events first for his crafters dealt with the matter before passing it to me for consideration as to what should be written in the records. Will?”

Will’s face had none of its usual sardonic humour on it, and the Councillors wondered what was coming. “First I have a little to tell of the Turners crafting in my office. They are quick to learn, and my crafters bethinkt themselves well regards them. Most are somewhat eccentric,” Will grinned before continuing, “but no more so than many of my crafters. Gale and Leech have telt me they opine the new crafters are in the right craft and we should have bethinkt ourselfs of this years over rather than lunes. May hap most interesting is the youngsters are all well considert by Gage’s squad and none of them have any time for the flaught.” Suddenly serious, Will continued, “The incident Thomas refert to concerns Turner and Otday and a particularly flaught twenty year old grower naemt Mortice. Mortice craftet for Dace who grows greens for the kitchens. I suspect he has neither the motivation not the intelligence to craft on his own behalf.”

“Is that the Dace who threatt to kill one of his crafters for advances his young agreän found upsetting?” asked Bull the Master forester.

“Aye. And that crafter was Mortice. Dace is nigh fifty and his agreän Sérent fourteen just turnt. Sérent and Dace had agreement last second Quarterday and are much in love. Despite which, Mortice bethinkt himself that Sérent would be grateful for his attentions since her man was so much her elder. Beth in Gage’s squad is a friend of Sérent’s, and she dealt with the matter, for Sérent has no kin of her own, only Dace’s, and she was reluctant to involve them for whilst she wisht Mortice stopt she did not think it to be a killing matter which she telt Beth Dace and all of his kin would have maekt it.” A number of Councillors looked disturbed by Will’s reference to killing, but none said aught for Dace and his kin had the right to so protect his agreän from unwanted sexual advances, and all had noted that Will had said ‘Mortice craftet for Dace who grows greens for the kitchens’, not ‘Mortice crafts for Dace who grows greens for the kitchens.’ “Beth agreed with Sérent and telt her the matter would be resolvt.”

Yew was grinning for all knoewn it was not wise to upset any of the squad, for they were protective of each other and of their kith, and Beth had a reputation for dealing harshly with those who treatt weaker folk or the vulnerable less than properly. “What did Beth do, Will?” Yew asked.

Will smiled and replied, “She askt Leech to deal with the matter as a matter of urgency before Dace resolvt the matter permanently. I have no idea what Leech doet, but it must have been adequate, for Dace sayt he regardet the matter as cloest.” That caused smiles berount the room for Leech would have maekt matters and consequences crystal clear to Mortice. “However, arriving back at what Thomas wills me to tell of, Mortice clearly doet not learn much from whatever it was that Leech doet and sayt. Unfortunately he was also a bigot regarding the changt.”

Plume, a Mistress of leisure, interupted to say, “I’m amazed Mortice is still quick,(22) for he is offensive and treats women poorly. It is not just the changt he is a bigot regarding. He has never managt to interest a woman nor a girl when he was younger. All the leisure crafters like him not. Many will not craft with him and say the tokens are not worth it, for they like not to craft with any who makes it feel like abuse. Our clients treat us with respect. They have needs only we can meet and we are fond of them, but not Mortice.

"Mercy telt us all, ‘If you will to know what being bedd by a boar is like all you need to do is lie on your belly and take Mortice’s tokens.’ Too, she sayt, “That’s probably being unfair to a boar, for as far as I know none have ever abused their sows. I enjoy my craft, Plume, for I have greater needs than most women, and it’s a pleasant way to craft and meet my needs and at the same time being aware that for many of our clients we make their lifes liveable without torment. Like all of us, though many would never admit to it, I have some clients I will craft with even when they have no tokens, for their need is real, and I regard it as unkind not to meet it. None treat me like a beast, though when any male animal serves a female whatever they do is the natural and proper way for their kind. They never treat each other badly. Mortice, I suspect would abuse a sow given the opportunity.’

“There must have been a couple of dozen of us there and three Masters of leisure too, who I could see were considering what to do, for as you know, all members of the guild are close kith. That conversation taekt place in our private room at the White Swan and Ivy sayt, ‘He wouldn’t be the first man I’ve taken to my bed purely to cut his throat. If the circumstances warrant it, tell me, and I’ll resolve the matter.’ That of course clears up the decades old mystery of exactly how did Boris die. I suspect it will not be long before all of us refuse his tokens. Then he will rape someone and one of their kith will kill him. It is a pity someone will have to be raept before the problem he represents is over.”

Gareth was busy writing and held his hand up for time to finish. “I’ll have words with your crafters concerning Mortice, Plume, with a view to map hap resolving the matter.”

Will laught, a short dry crack of a laugh and said, “You need not, Gareth. Turner, Otday’s agreän, is may hap a tenner from birthing and she and a couple of dozen other pregnant and a number of the midwifes were lunching with Cherville who is also pregnant. Cherville and her man Nightshade live high in the south westernmost outer tower. There are may hap eighty or so families live there now. It was a pleasant afternoon so they decided to lunch on the allure.(23) The women had decidet that lunch together with the midwifes was a pleasant way of gossiping of babes and rather than be examint by the midwifes at the infirmary they invitet them for lunch. I was telt all this by Master midwife Otter and his apprentice Luval. It seems the midwifes had examint all the women and after lunch they were in Cherville’s solar enjoying leaf and discussion of their various conditions, awaiting their men to escort them home.

“Turner sayt she had need of some fresh air as she felt a little sickly after eating. She reassured all that she was well saying sincely(24) she had oft felt a little sickly after eating. Otter telt her to walk a little but not too quickly. Luval telt me he heart the scream a few minutes later. Worryt that Turner had taken a tumble he rushed out to see Otday with a couple of other men, agreäns of the women. Otday was holding Turner, who was crying, tightly. Cutting to the bone, Mortice had been on the allure, why we have not yet been able to discover, and he started abusing Turner for her affluence and his poverty. Turner ignort him and turnt to walk away, for she did not wish the confrontation to become a fight. A second or two after that he had put his hands to her breats from behind and was spilling filth into her ears concerning what would certainly have been a rape had she allowt it. She tellt me she took hold of his arm twisting it and as she turnt she hearet it braek. She kneet him in the males(25) and hit his neck. She was certain she braekt that too.

“Otday and the men saw what happent and before Mortice fallt to the allure Otday grabt him by an arm and a leg and swung him berount and over the parapet.” There were shocked looks on the faces of some Councillors, but Plume had a smile of satisfaction on her face. “That’s what, Roebuck? A hundred and eighty strides to the water.”

Roebuck, the Master ingeniator replied, “A bit less, Will. It’s a hundred and sixty-seven from the observation platform. Call it a hundred and fifty.”

Will nodded and said, “That’s still a goodly way down, but Turner was certain he was dead before Otday put him over the edge. Later that eve the body, which had been battert on the rocks by the waves, was recovert some whilth south of the Keep five thousand strides off the shore by Deal and Kell who are inshore fishermen. Along with other damage, his neck and arm were braekt as Turner sayt. The healers telt me his lungs had air not water in them, so Turner was correct, for he had not drownt.”

Gosellyn, the Mistress healer said, “After hearing the tale, we had the body buryt with no grave marker in the Long Wood for Castle to reclaim.”

“Waste of effort and meat if you ask me,” said Will. “I’d have given it to Gage for the dogs. Any hap it’s up to Thomas now.”

Thomas looked thoughtful as he spake, “There is no question of behaviour unacceptable to the Way being doen by any other than Mortice. Whether Turner or Otday killt Mortice matters not. Buryal in an unmarkt grave is appropriate. I should however ask that you, Plume, ask for coöperation from your colleagues for Gareth’s investigation into Mortice’s past behaviour. The matter will be treatt with discretion and sensitivity, but I would like it recordet for future Mistresses and Masters at arms to study. That way if your future colleagues are aware of that may hap any future such events can be dealt with in a more timely manner such that your colleagues need not undergo such unpleasantth for as long as they clearly have this time. Other than that as far as my office is concerned the matter is cloest. Doubtless the flaught will all hear of the matter within a day or two and it may serve as a caution to avoid future flaughtth, but somehow I doubt it.”

Plume nodded and said, “You’ll have coöperation, Thomas. I’ll ask all who had dealings with Mortice to have spaech with Gareth, and to tell him of all they can call to mind. Gratitude, Thomas. I’ll express my gratitude to Turner and Otday later.”

“Is that all?” asked Yew. Seeing the nods berount him he said, “This meeting is cloest, and I’ll pour the brandy.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00328020

MUTTON MARROWBONE MACCU

CLEARING OUT THE LAST FREEZE CHAMBER

1st of Svertan Day 328

Fulbert had been correct, and children had found the challenge of eating with chopsticks irresistible. Yes there had initially been some mess for the kitcheners(26) to clean up, but children, particularly children eating without kithal(27) supervision, were invariably much better behaved as most were concentrating on handling their chopsticks better than their friends. Iola had said none had Mastery of chopsticks till they could consistently pick up and eat a single grain of wheat. The challenge had been defined, and a focussed child was a well behaved one.

Dabchick, at one of the regular forenoon meetings with Iola and Bruana said, “Three of the four large freeze chambers I willen cleant are emptyt and we have opent the shutters ready for the warmer weather. However, despite the material you have taken from it, Iola, chamber fifty-three still has a considerable quantity of material in it. None knows what it contains, not even Bluesher. I will it emptyt to another chamber betimes and should appreciate any aid possible.”

Iola said, “I’ll have all my crafters not doing else aid, and I’ll request that the firekeepers assist. We should all be able to clear it within two days.”

Bruana added, “We’re not presst at the moment, so we can help too. When do you will to start?”

“After lunch if that’s convenient?”

Unlabelled box after unlabelled box was opened, inspected and its contents written on it. Most were in no way remarkable other than their age. Dabchick didn’t have them all taken to the freeze chamber she had initially intended rather she left their relocation to Bluesher and her apprentice Greensward, who had some of them taken to where there were similar materials to ensure they were uest betimes. That afternoon there were no surprises and the crafters had removed somewhat more than Dabchick had thought possible. They agreed to continue the following forenoon and the firekeeper gangers said they’d been telt that as long as they kept up with their crafting their gangs could continue to assist Iola.

When the crafters resumed like lastday there were initially no surprises, however behind the pile of boxes they gradually uncovered bones with significant amounts of meat on them. Most of the bones were uncracked long bones full of marrow. Dabchick said, “Most are sheep or goat by the look of them. What do you will done with them, Iola?”

“I’ve an idea at the back of my head that I can’t recall just yet, but I shall. Have them put somewhere convenient please, Bluesher, so when I remember I can easily access them.”

It was three days before Iola remembered what she had tenuously been on the edge of recollection. She smiled as she realised why she had not been able to recall it immediately. Her mind had been associating an old memory with an alliterative connection which had no real relationship with her memory other than her whimsical way of creating receipt names. Maccu was a Sicilian peasant soup whose primary ingredients included crushed or even pureed fresh or rehydrated dried fava beans, which once over she callt broad beads but now she now accepted as brightbeans, fennel seeds and sprigs, olive oil, salt and pepper. Some receipts she had come across included loveapple,(28) onion and pasta, and she considered bellfruit(29) to be a reasonable addition for a Mediterranean dish. The alliterative association her mind had maekt was with the mutton marrowbones they had found in Dabchick’s freeze chamber. She had also read the soup was sometimes maekt thicker and cooled until it solidified, then cut into strips, breaded in flour and fried in olive oil which she considered would be a good starting point for an accompaniment to Mutton Marrowbone Maccu.

Eventually she managed to make sense of it all. She’d ask the butchers to cut the sheep or goat marrow bones into three wiedth longths to cook in gently simmering soup. She’d have marrow spoons maekt by Francis and extracting the marrow from the bones would provide interest for adults and excitement for children. Brightbeans were available in plenty and Spoonbill always had fennel feathers and seed in abundance. She had dairy oil to replace olive oil and loveapples, onion and noodles were readily available. Salt to taste and the only thing that bothered her was as usual having to replace the pepper with mercyfruit. The accompaniment she would have breaded with fine stale bread crumb rather than flour and fried in dairy oil. No doubt some small scale experimentation would be required, but that would do to put Mutton Marrowbone Maccu on the menu, and the contents of Dabchick’s freeze chamber fifty-three would be considerably diminished.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00330010

TWO ENTIRE MAMMOTHS

BUTCHERING AN ALLURFART

3rd of Svertan Day 330

It was obvious from the look on Dabchick’s face that she was amused, puzzled and bursting with news. Iola indicated that she should sit down, poured them a mug of leaf and cut them a slice of gærcake.(30) Dabchick drank some leaf and said, “My Love has just dockt. She’s sailt from Dockside with two entire mammoths.”

As a result of the stress that Dabchick had placed on the word entire, Iola asked, “How entire is entire, Dabchick?”

“Entire! All of them! Everything! The tale I was telt was the hunters, who live at Dockside, weren’t hunting mammoth at all, but winter-elk and, if they could find one or two, bear. They’d been asked by the shipwrights to provide the bear fat to grease ships’ helm gear. They’d been hunting berount the Tall Pines logging camp, not had any luck, and their two waggons were returning to Dockside accompanied by four waggoners whose waggons were loadet with timber. The weather was dreadful, and it was gloaming when they maekt camp, a day and a bit north of Dockside. They lookt to the horses, ate early and retiren as soon as they had eaten. They were awakent by the storm when it was still dark. The blizzard continuet to worsen to whiteout, and they were there three days. They were running out of feed for the horses and had eaten all the meat the hunters had killt. Rather than start to eat the horses they’d decidet to leave all the waggons and ride the horses back on what is a good trail to Dockside in the storm starting at first light the following day, but the dawn was clear, albeit calt, and they left with the light on their way back to Dockside with the waggons when, after an hour or so, they seeën the mammoth.

“They killt two, and the waggoners wincht them on to the hunters’ waggons for them. They doetn’t take the time to gralloch them because they were worryt regards the horses running short of feed in the caltth. They left the waggoners’ loadet waggons, and uest all the horses to pull the mammoth back. There was good lunelight, and because the trail was good and the grazing poor they keept going and arrivt at Dockside in the middle of the night. By that time the meat on the outside of the carcasses was freezen and the horses were in poor but not desperate condition. They awakent some aid to look to the horses, and the carcasses were left on the waggons at the dock. The carcasses were freezen to the waggons and must have been nigh to freezen through when they were hoistet complete with the waggons onto My Love at daybraek. They’re on their way to the butchers now, but they’re still freezen to the waggons, so they’ll have to thaw first. Morris sayt he’d butchert a similar animal callt an allurfart before, and he’d start nextdaynigh to give them time to thaw properly in the receiving hall.”

Iola laught and said, “I bethink me he sayt an elephant, Dabchick. I assume you are here to discuss what we do with it all?”

“Yes, and no. Morris will deal with the meat and bones for us, but I would appreciate it if you would ask the firekeepers for some help to take it to the freeze chambers as we are presst the now, and I’ve six experiencet crafters and four juniors in the infirmary with a chest ill. We shall deal with the grallochth, but that leaves the heads and they are huge, much bigger than those half skulls you findt in the freeze chamber. I’m not sure they will fit in your biggest kettles and any hap even after the trunk and tusks are removt they will weigh may hap four hundred weights. What do you wish to do? I came to give you some time to consider the matter.”

“I’ll ask the firekeepers, Dabchick, and I’m sure they’ll help. I’d like to see the heads before I consider what to do with them, how soon can I do that?”

“They’ll be with the butchers some time this afternoon, Iola. Would you like me to accompany you?”

“Please.”

~o~O~o~

The two women went to view the mammoth late that afternoon. They were still on the waggons in the receiving hall, and Morris was adjusting a four strides high mechanism alongside one of them which looked like a lot of long metal poles with a chain berount some of the ones at the top.

Iola asked him, “Morris, where will you cut the head off and what bethink you it will weigh?”

Morris pointed to the base of the head at the top of the short neck and said, “Here. By the time we have the ivory and the trunk off, and skint it, probably nearer three than four hundred kilos. That’s weights, Dabchick. The skint trunk will weigh a hundred and fifty weights, may hap a little less. How do you want it cut up, Dabchick?”

“Just so my crafters can handle the pieces, please. Twenty to twenty-five weights would be ideal.”

Iola looked at the head of the larger of the two mammoth and said, “I’m sure it will fit in a kettle. We can certainly stand it upright and allow it to cook down into one without it being chopt in half, though it may take an extra day or two to cook all the meat off it. The problem is going to be how to lift it into the kettle, or if we remove the kettle to the floor and put the head in it how do we lift the kettle back on the stove.”

Morris laught and said, “No problem. This,” he pointed to the mechanism he’d been adjusting, “is a hoist I borrow from the ingeniators. If we butcher the first mammoth and take it all, including the head, which we’ll leave in a handcart, to the freeze chambers or to Dabchick before starting on the second one we can butcher the second and take the hoist to your kitchens to hoist the head out of a handcart and straight into your kettle. If you tell us when you want to cook the one in the freeze chambers we’ll do it again. If fortuitously a head won’t fit in your kettle I’ll borrow a long two man cross cut saw from the sawyers and we should saw it in half for you rather than chop it to avoid bone shards.”

Iola nodded and said, “My gratitude, Morris. I’ll start to consider what I’m going to make with it. The big kettles are three feet square so as long as the bones will fit you don’t need to cut them any smaller than that and as usual just leave any difficult meat on them.”

Dabchick explained the rôle her crafters and the firekeepers would play in the proceedings and Morris said, “Thank you both. That will make it much easier for us.” Morris turned back to his hoist and explained, “I’m going to use it to lift the carcass off the waggon so it can defrost from all round before we make a start with it presented the right way round. I’ll do the other nextday.” Morris changed the subject. “Iola, I meant to ask you the other day and I forgot. I know you have introduced new receipts, some from Earth, so is there any chance you could persuade Grangon and Fulbert to cook chip shop Fish and Chips? I miss a fish supper something powerful from time to time.”

Iola smiled and replied, “I don’t see why not. Fulbert would certainly need no persuading to try chips and Grangon feels obligatet to me for using the inshore fishers’ catches. Now you mention it, my own teeths are wattering for the taste. I’ll ask them nextday. I suspect many newfolk may be grateful for the idea.”

What are ship chop fish and ships?” Dabchick asked.

“It’s chip not ship and shop not chop,” Morris replied with a laugh, “and I’m not sure I can explain. Can you Iola?”

“Chips are starchroot or waxroot pieces, may hap a span long and half a wiedth by the same across, you cook them through in hot fat, remove them whilst the fat becomes very hot and brown them to finish in the very hot fat. The fish was usually cod which is like keld. You know how some cook giant puffballs, slicet in a seasonen milk flour batter?” Dabchick nodded. “The fish is dipt in the batter and deep fryt in hot fat. A chip shop was like a permanent Quarterday stall that selt fish and chips. The meal was oft servt in a paper wrapper and folk would buy them and eat them with lots of salt and sourt wine out of the paper with their fingers on their way home from a night’s fun at somewhere like the White Swan. It’s not a nutritious meal, nor is it particularly good for one, for it’s fatty and very salty, but it was traditional comfort food whence we came. I like your name for the dish, Dabchick, so Ship Chop Fish and Ships it shall be.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00331010

SHIP CHOP FISH AND SHIPS

TEMPURA, SCAMPI AND POULTRY PIECES

4th of Svertan Day 331

Iola went to see Fulbert and explained what Morris had asked her. “Yes, I’ll try it. Is it any good as a cooking technique with other vegetables too, Iola, say winter root?”(31)

“I don’t know, Fulbert. I never hearet of that being done, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t, or even that any had tryt it. I do know that light things like salad leafs or thinly slicet vegetables and meat were dipt in a thin batter, sometimes maekt with beer or cider and deep fryt for a few seconds. They were callt Tempura. You’ve already uest the technique for your sweet and sour crisp. My sorrow, but all I can do is give you the idea, you’ll have to develop it yourself I’m aflait.”

“No need for sorrow. My gratitude. I’ll let the apprentices loose on the idea, sometimes they create things I never would have doen. Ryan is especially creative, which is probably because he is newfolk and aware of things the rest of us are not. However, let’s go and have spaech with Grangon. I suggest you let me put the idea to him. I know he is in debt to you, but I can bully him.” The two of them laught and went to find Grangon.

Grangon needed no bullying and was taken by the idea. “I presume it’s just like the sweet and sour snail but using portions of fish? What kinds of fish can you use, Iola. It can’t just be keld surely?”

“Yes, it’s the same technique. We had no keld on Earth, but the equivalent was a fish callt cod, and a flatfish callt plaice was uest too. I’m sure plaice was the same fish as redspot. I suppose aught you like could be uest as long as it had few bones, Grangon”

Grangon looked thoughtful, “Two small pieces which would normally be delivert to you, could be battert together and servt which would save us both work. Could I use fillets from a big shark, Iola? That would help Morris’ crafters, for they could slice boneless shark sides in the stead of filleting a lot of smaller fish. For a different meal I could cook the smaller fish unfillett and remove the bones after cooking, which is much easier, and deep fry them as the accompaniment, or if the fish were small enough just cook and serve them whole. Would it work with mijom?”

“I don’t know regards any shark. I do know that many fish cooks uest something they refert to as huss or rock salmon which was really a fish callt a dogfish(32) which was a small shark which grew up to two strides long, but most were only half that. I’ve eaten it and it was tasty. You’ll just have to try a big shark for yourself. As for mijom,(33) I have no idea. The only fish I’ve had experience of which had flesh like it was callt tuna(34) which was expensive and, despite some reaching may hap eight hundred weights, was a delicacy that was carefully cookt and oft eaten raw. I believe the flesh of a fish callt swordfish(35) was similar, but I’ve never seen any. I’ve never readd of either being battert and deep fryt, though it may be worth trying with mijom. All I can do is give you the ideas because I’ve never done any of these thing for myself. I’ve only ever readd of them.”

Grangon responded by saying, “You must have doen a lot of reading of food and cooking, Iola, for one so young.”

Iola eyes filled and tears ran off her cheeks. That she had read a lot regards food and cooking was true, but it was because she had grown up deprived of love and support and had been denied any opportunity to cook at home and at school, and that had hurt her, so she’d read of cooking because it eased the hurt. Fulbert who’d had spaech with her of her past, hugged her and said, “It’s all right, Iola. I understand, and I shall make sure Grangon does too. We are your friends, and we’re grateful for your support. It may not be official, but all the significant crafters in the kitchens rightly regard you as one of us.” He looked over her shoulder at Grangon and said, “Grangon, Iola’s life before Castle was difficult. She was not allowt to cook, so she readd of food and cooking to ease her despair. As she supports us with her ideas from her reading, we have to support her by making sure she knows that we value her. I for one would have been pleast to adopt her had she not already findt a family.” He kissed her forehead and continued, “You have telt Grangon and me of Morris’ request, and we shall work at it till we have something to present as a main meal. Doubtless the technique will be good for other things too. Have you any further ideas for us to work with.”

Iola, her composure regained, smiled and said, “Gratitude for your comfort, Fulbert. I do regard you in the light of another dad. I have telt you of tempura, but I also know that small bits of fish may hap two to three wiedths across were battert in a thicker batter and servt with many things. They were callt Scampi, though to some folk scampi were battert prawn.(36) So, Grangon, you could use small pieces of fish that way rather than battering two together. Similar siezt pieces of poultry were battert in a fragrant seasonen batter and callt many flaught and oft misleading things, but Poultry Pieces would at least be honest, though I don’t see why you couldn’t use meat or even vegetables and fruit. Prawn Parcels, Meat Morsels, Vegetable Vittles and Fruit Fritters are all descriptive enough for folk to know what they were putting on their plates.

Grangon asked, “What do vittles and fritters mean, Iola?”

“Vittles is just another word for food, usually uest by one particular group of persons on Earth. Fritters I’m not completely sure of because the word meant different things to different groups of folk. Whence I came, it refert to aught dipt in batter and deep fryt. Some places selt fruit fritters which were usually servt with a thick, sweet and sticky sauce. They were very popular”

Grangon nodded in understanding and said, “I shall have spaech with Eudes regarding the poultry pieces and other things, Iola. May hap the scampi and they could be cookt together when the fat is hot. I’m sure he will be agreeable in principle. If he’s not happy with cooking fish in one of the kettles of fat uest for meat, we could always try cooking meat in one of mine, or even set aside a kettle of fat specially for cooking the two together. I’m sure the three of us could develop a meal which would enable us to use left over fish, meat, poultry, vegetables and may hap meatballs and fruit too, which would make you happy and save all four sets of crafters considerable effort.” Grangon laught at a sudden thought and continued, “It beseems me the apprentices would be properly challengt by fritters too. What bethink you, Fulbert? Apprentices, yours, mine and Eudes’, with a minimum of assistance. I suggest they even manage their inter office coöperation too. That would surely bring the better ones on.” Iola was aware that Fulbert crafted with Eudes, but thought Eudes must have changed considerably for Grangon to be prepared to craft with him thus.

Fulbert had a slow smile on his face that developed into a huge grin. “I opine Iola is right. You’re a bad man, Grangon, but I must be too, for it beseems me too a good idea.”

Iola smiled and said, “The apprentices obtaint considerable satisfaction from cooking the kebabs, so may hap you’re not as bad as you seem, Grangon, but of course I’m never going to admit to that thinking. Serving fish and meat together was oft refert to as Surf and Turf on Earth, so may hap the apprentices could make something of the name.”

Iola explained the name and Grangon remarked, “You are a most unusual young woman whom I am most happy to craft with, particularly because of the interest your names for dishes generates. Would you write all the names down for us to give the kitcheners please?”

“Of course, and I’ll include anything else of relevance.”

The three crafters finished their meeting, Iola left happy she had done as she had promised Morris. Fulbert and Grangon happy with ideas for their apprentices to develop left to find Eudes. The three men agreed that Grangon should have oversight of the apprentices and tell them of the challenge. When Grangon telt the apprentices of the conversation they taekt the idea of Surf and Turf several steps further and with a mixt pile of small pieces of fish, ocean meat, meat, vegetables and fruit, all of various kinds, in front of them and bowls of variously flavoured batters maekt from a variety of cereal and pulse flours they picked two pieces at random dipped them together in a batter, so as to form one piece, and cooked their Mystery Morsels which were served with a variety of sauces, and white wheat, both as an accompaniment and as a main meal in the same way that Iola had suggested the kebabs were served. It was hugely successful meal, even more so than the kebabs, especially with children. When Fulbert heard what the apprentices had done, without telling Grangon what they were going to do, he laught so much at their so neatly turning the tables on Grangon it hurt, and even Grangon thought it funny.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00332010

KITCHEN PORTERS

HOISTING THE HEAD

5th of Svertan Day 332

The butchers started to deal with the mammoth early in the forenoon, and the kitchen firekeepers had as usual been happy to act as porters. All day there were at least four of them assisting, and by late afternoon all of them had taken a turn. The offal had all been processed and put to freeze, and the rest of the grallochth was being washed and prepared ready for either freezing or use. The hide had been taken to the tanners, the ivory to Hobby for the carvers, and the last of the meat and cut bones had been deposited in the freeze chambers. Finally Morris’ crafters had hoisted the second head into the stock kettle. It didn’t need to be stood up, but it was too big to be laid flat in the kettle on its side either. Stable, it lay leant gainst the kettle side. The kettle had been half filled with water and Lanfranc had lit the stove. All had had a long day, were glad it was over and were looking forward to a bath and a late eve meal. Iola had decided to call on Phœbe and Knapps on her way home to ask Knapps to make an extension to her large kettles which would fit their lids too so that aught that protruded above the top of the kettle, like the mammoth heads, would at least be in the steam.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00332020

THE BEST OF TIMES THE WORST OF TIMES

FIND ME A SHEPHERDESS

5th of Svertan Day 332

Things were going well and not so well. Judith smiled to herself thinking, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” She wondered how many persons on Castle would have a clue as to what she was spaeking of if she telt them that. Still, she knew.

‘It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.’(37)

She knew a lot more too, but she wondered how it was that something written so long ago by Dickens could seem to be so apposite to the situation she found herself in now, what ever year it was back whence she had come. That Dickens had been referring to the French Revolution, a social revolution, not the Industrial Revolution, a technological revolution, she was aware of, but still she mused for a while wondering how Dickens had been influenced by the Industrial Revolution in England where it had all started, and which she and others were trying to replicate here on Castle. That his life in virtually its entirety overlapped with it she knew, but how aware of it he had been she knew not. That she was whimsical she knew, and she also knew she had become much more so in this last lune of her pregnancy. Still, she knew it was true, well and not so well, the best of times and the worst of times.

The mill construction was proceeding apace, Oak and his sons had riveted the huge water pail castings to the wheel with several thousands of white hot steel rivets, each a span long and thicker than a big man’s thumb, and returned home to Outgangside. Harris and Alec had dug the leet and the tail race which she had not expected to happen this year. They were now helping wherever they could and enjoying themselfs just being somewhere different. Harris had laught and said, “Tell you what, Alec. Why don’t we dig a couple of wells just for a change?” Which the pair of them had thought to be hugely amusing as there was more potable surface water berount them than any knew what to do with.

Fiddil and Orcharder were laying stonework for the mill building itself and had nearly finished. Other than the mill gear supporting stonework, the rest of the mill would be constructt from wood. They had telt Judith once they had done that they wished half a tenner rest, and then, if she were agreeable, they would start on the leet, tail race and dam stonework as soon as the waggons delivered the stone, which was being quarried from an outcrop an hour’s whilth away by waggon. They had appeared hesitant, and remembering what Briar had said she asked, “The mill will always require maintaining. Would either, or both, of you be prepared to do that for a retainer?” They both looked blank and she added, “A retainer is a regular payment maekt on the understanding you will do what ever needs doing, however much or little that is. It is paid even when nothing needs doing. I ask because the quality of your work is so high, and I doubt if I could find mazuns of such skill and commitment any where else.”

Orcharder asked hesitantly, “What would the retainer be, Judith?”

“Shall we say, food, housing, what ever funding you feel you need, and what ever care you need in your age, I could have it arranged by Sagon that your costs would be part of the running expenses of the mill. Since my children already treat both of you as extra grandfathers, all I ask in return is occasionally you look after the little weevils for me when I am this side of the river.”

Both of the old men smiled, and Fiddil asked, “You are giving us what we should not require payment for. May I call you Daughter?”

Immediately and before she had time to answer, Orcharder said, “I should like that too.”

Judith had what she later felt to have been a stroke of true genius for an incomer and said, “But of course, it is the Way of it.” Realising she also had to do something, she reached for the two old men in turn, kissed them and said, “I shall tell Storm he has another pair of dads, the children also, but I don’t think it will make any difference to them.”

Orcharder with moist eyes said, “Gratitude, Daughter Judith. You have just maekt my agèd years free from worry.”

Fiddil said, “That is true for me too. For a man who loes all his heirs, your children are a true gift. Gratitude, Daughter Judith.”

The two old men left with their hearts full knowing they had the security in their age that went with children and grandchildren, but Judith was left thinking of some of the worst of the times. The stone Storm had wished to quarry for the millstones was badly fractured and useless. He had been despondent regards finding large enough pieces of the perfect millstone grit that were necessary to make the stones he required. That he was having a problem finding stone was not a major worry to her, the effect it was having on him was. That was the worst of times. He came back that eve disappointed and depressed. She knew he felt he was letting her down, and it was impossible to convince him that was not the way she felt. She was sure eventually he would find stone good enough and of a size to satisfy his exacting requirements before she had to go back to Dockside for her birthing. If not she could tell him of French burrstones, which had generally been uest for finer grinding. They weren’t cut from one piece, but fabricated from sections of quartz set in a plaster matrix, and bound with iron bands.

However, she was wrong. With what she and the midwifes had all considered to be a tenner to go she had her first contraction at ten that night. Storm was frantic. With her usual pragmatism Judith had telt him, “Don’t be a fool, Storm. There are no midwifes here, so go and find me a shepherdess who knows what she is doing, and I’ll be fine.” Storm had started to argue and she, very unreasonably, screamed at him, “Just for once in your life, Storm, do as you’re bloody well told first time. I need someone who has delivered something, and I need her now. Now go.”

Storm left, and half an hour later he returned with Durance, a thirty-two year old sheepherd. “I couldn’t find a willing sheepherdess, and Durance has birtht two babes before,” he explained apologetically, visibly upset he had upset Judith at a time when he should have been doing naught other than supporting her through her birthing.

Durance was a man of quiet spaech and gentle in his ways. He asked Judith, “May I examine you to see where I bethink me you are in your birthing? You must understand though I am considert to be an expert at lambing, I have little experience with babes, and what I have was not from choice, but in both cases I was all that was available.”

Judith nodded and said smiling, “Durance, for the third time you are all that is available. I should far prefer to have someone very experienced with lambing than a complete novice midwife. Please just keep telling me what is happening as it happens. If Storm is a problem for you tell me because I can make him comply with your requirements, or even go away.” She smiled at Storm and said, “Durance will not be at his best, Love, if you harass him, so leave him alone unless you can do better. Do you understand what I am telling you?”

Storm replied, “Yes, Love, I understand. You are right. I admit I was not happy, and I am still not happy, but I do admit this is the best we can do, and he knows far more than I do.”

Durance had brought his lambing bag with him which mongst many other things contained a container of lubricant, it was prepared by the herbals from sheep fleeces and was exactly the same as what the midwifes uest he explained. Judith’s waters braekt at midnight, and naught happened for hours other than the odd twinge, an indication her body was thinking of contractions. Judith started the process of birthing in earnest some twelve hours after she had experienced her first contraction. It was gone lunchtime when Durance said to the couple, “any time now.” Charlotte arrived two minutes later, and her birth was trouble free. Judith was tired, but ecstatic nursing Charlotte. Storm, at last relieved of his fear for Judith, was benumbed to the point of not being able to spaek.

Durance maekt sure Judith and Charlotte were hale and comfortable and said, “There is little I can do now. I am not a midwife as you know. It has been a privilege to assist. I wish you all good fortune, and I suggest you and your babe, Judith, are examint by a midwife as soon as possible.” With that he gathered his appurtenances and left.

Judith understanding how Storm felt, naytheless said, “I told you I only needed one midwife. I just didn’t tell you which one.”

Storm smiled and said, “Briar is absolutely right regards you. You are a devious young woman.”

“Apart from not being young any more that is true. Now let’s have some sleep.”

Storm had lain beside his wife and daughter, and later in the day he was surprised when Charlotte awakened them to realise they must have all gone to sleep more or less immediately.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly

117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Herron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Silvers, a herring like fish more like the European pilchard, Sardina pilchardus than the Atlantic herring, Clupea harengus.
2 Dairy oil, a cold pressed seed oil blended with a little clarified ewe’s butter.
3 Griselle, shallot. All cultivated, and of any combination of shape and colour, flat, round, tall, white, yellow, brown and red.
4 Soured red wine, red wine vinegar. Soured wine, vinegar.
5 Mercyfruit, hot pepper or chile.
6 Gill, a little more than five fluid ounces.
7 Fray, fenugreek.
8 Quorice, liquorice root.
9 Orkæke, a berry spice with a unique taste, and unique to Castle.
10 Gær, a highly aromatic spice, both nut and bark are uest, gær is unique to Castle and tastes and smells vaguely like cinnamon or cassia, (geir).
11 Droon, a spicy seed pod it would be generous to describe as cardamon unique to Castle.
12 Scentet balm, lemon balm.
13 Reedroot, tastes similar to ginger/galanga, bright yellow unique to Castle.
14 Wintergreen, any of several evergreen, aromatic plants. Most commonly refers to leaves of Gaultheria procumbens, which contain a volatile oil used as a trace flavouring. The menthol smelling ingredient in the leaves is the ester methyl salicilate.
15 Yoken, plural of yoke. Yoke, a wooden device that fits over the shoulders with a chain hanging from each end to hook onto a pail handle. Yoke is also used to indicate a pair of plough horses, as in, ‘The land was so heavy it had to be ploughed with a yoke for a single horse would soon tire.’
16 Slew, a close relative of pheasant. Slew are twice the size of pheasant. The cocks have characteristic dark green, bordering on black, metallic plumage and make a distinctive rattling sound. The silent hens have non-metallic, mottled, pale buff plumage enabling them blend in with the background even when not trying to be unobserved. Extinct on Earth.
17 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
18 Wine-fruit, grapes.
19 Hville, pronounced huh + vee, hᴧvi:.
20 Flaughtth, stupidity.
21 Leaf, a mildly stimulating herbal drink equivalent to tea or coffee maekt from the leafs of several plant products, including roots and seeds as well as leafs.
22 Quick, alive.
23 Allure, the walk way inside the parapet of a fortification, also known as a chemin-de-rond, an allure or a wall-walk.
24 Sincely, recently.
25 Males, testicles.
26 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
27 Kithal has the same relationship to kith that familial has to family and parental has to parent, though usually kithal supervision implies the oversight of a responsible older child rather than that of an adult.
28 Loveapple, small hardy tomato.
29 Bellfruit, sweet pepper, oft used as a pudding.
30 Gærcake, a sweet cake flavoured with Gær, see above.
31 Winter root, Swedish turnip, swede, rutabaga.
32 Rock salmon, Huss, or Dogfish as cooked in many dishes in many countries. Any of many species of small shark, including the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias, the starry smooth-hound Mustelus asterias, the rough-hound Scyliorhinus canicula and the bull-huss Scyliorhinus stellaris.
33 Mijom, a large oceanic pelagic fish which may reach two hundred and fifty weights. The flesh is like that of tuna and there is little waste on mijom. They are tasty and much sought after by the Folk. Mijom is pronounced me + hom, mi:hɒm.
34 Tuna, saltwater fish comprising fifteen species.
35 Swordfish or broadbills, Xiphias gladius.
36 Prawn, shrimp in the US.
37 The opening lines from A Tale of Two Cities (1859) by Charles Dickens.

up
11 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos