The Winemaker Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Statue 2.jpg

The Winemaker

by Theresa Black


Copyright 2020


Chapter 6

One thing I have failed to mention, and I do not wish to spoil this parchment by cutting and sewing it, is something that happened on the trip from Sardinia to Neapolis. It was the second night of the voyage and very hot. Darius had given me and my two women his small cabin, and I was sleeping on the bunk while my two women slept of straw-filled palliasses on the deck. Unable to sleep through the lack of air, I slipped out of the bunk, and into my stola and carefully stepping over the sleeping women, I climbed the steps to the deck. The air was fresh after the stuffiness below decks and the stars were brilliant overhead. Apart from Darius who was seated on the hold cover, the only other persons visible were the two men at the steering oars. When Darius became aware of my presence he stood up and saluted me with a bow.

“Please sit, Darius May I sit with you?” I asked.

“Of course my lady, “ was his reply.

We sat for a while, enjoying the cool breeze and listening to the sounds of the ship slipping through the calm sea, with just the occasional creak of the sail and the splash of water. Eventually, I spoke, knowing it would be my last opportunity.

“Darius, would you please tell me what happened the night the 'Golden Eagle' was wrecked and my lord was drowned?”

“If you wish, my lady, but it is a sad tale.”

“None the less, I would like to hear it,” I replied The truth was that I had never understood how two such experienced sailors as Julius and Darius were unable to save their ship.

So Darius began to tell me what happened.

“We were returning from Neapolis with a hold full of cargo for Sardinia after unloading our cargo of wine. It was late afternoon and before we came in sight of land, the wind died right down and we were becalmed. We expected it to pick up in the morning and we would sail into the harbour at Olbia. We were all asleep with only one sailor on watch when sometime after midnight he awoke Captain Julius who in turn awoke me. The wind had returned and was gaining force by the minute and the sea was rising. We awoke all the crew and took down the mainsail, leaving only the small 'supparum' sail at the bow of the ship. The wind was now the strongest we had ever encountered, and the waves were crashing over the ship. Coming from the east we were worried that the gale was driving the ship straight for the shore which we couldn't see for the night was inky black.

“We attempted to steer the ship northwards, hoping to reach the 'Fretum Gallicum', that is the strait between Sardinia and Corsica at dawn, but despite our efforts and having three men holding the steering oars, they were smashed against the side of the ship by the strength of the waves. After that we had to rely on the 'supparum' to keep our stern to the waves or we might have broached, that is turn side-on to the gigantic waves and been capsized. I can tell you we were all fervently praying to the gods to spare us.

“After some hours we saw the faint light of dawn but that revealed breakers ahead and we knew that the ship was doomed for there was nothing we could do to avoid it. We struck the rocks and the ship was driven high up upon them, breaking her back. Captain Julius insisted that all the crew leave the ship first, leaping onto the rocks, although they were slippery and some fell into the sea. When there were only three of us left, the remaining seaman fell down the sloping deck and I was going to help him when Captain Julius ordered me off the ship and said he would help the man himself. I fell and dashed my head on the rocks. I think I was dazed for a moment for when I looked up the seaman was climbing off the ship, but before Captain Julius could follow him, the remains of the mast fell and struck him on the head and he fell over the side of the ship into the sea.”

He paused and looked at me to see my reaction.

“Tell me truly, Darius, do you think he was unconscious when he fell into the water?”

“Yes my lady, I do. I don't think he had any knowledge of anything after that.”

That was what I wanted to hear. At least Julius did not suffer the pangs of drowning. Sometimes the gods are kind. I wiped a tear from my eye.

“Thank you, Darius, you have told me what I needed to know.”

After a few more minutes I went below to the cabin again and now I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in Rome, within two weeks I had found a suitable three-bedroom 'domus' (house) and with the help of my women, set about furnishing it. While the area was not particularly unsafe, I felt that it would be good to have at least one man present, and I was fortunate in finding a suitable couple. Both freed slaves, the woman, Magda was a good cook, and her partner Quintus, had been a soldier, captured during one of Rome's many wars, and sold into slavery. Having someone on hand who was handy with a sword and dagger was a good feeling in case of someone breaking in. Two slaves were also engaged as cleaners. All the domestic staff had small rooms at the rear of the house

I had the best bedroom of course, and my two women had the room next to mine. They had been sleeping together almost from the time they were first assigned to me in Sardinia. For women to do this was frowned upon in Rome, while men sleeping together did not raise an eyebrow, even when one of them was married. I had no problem with Flavia and Sabina sleeping together, and in that, I feel I am ahead of my time. Perhaps one day it will be commonplace.

I still kept in touch with Marcus in Sardinia, and about two years after I returned to Rome, a cart drew up outside my house and four amphorae of wine were delivered, together with a message from Marcus saying that this was his first vintage since taking over the estate and he'd like me to taste it and give him my opinion. In fact, it was a very good vintage and I wrote to tell him so. From that time on, every year four amphorae of the latest vintage arrived at my house. I was glad that he was keeping up the quality of the wine as it was still marketed as the produce of the Julius and Calpurnia Estate

While I was very wealthy, I did not engage in a lavish lifestyle which would draw attention to my wealth. My money was distributed around a number of temples in Rome for storing, thus making it more secure if one of them was robbed. I kept a supply of gold coins in the house which I hid in a cabinet to use for expenses.

Rome has its fair share of beggars, and as I traveled around the city, I noticed that to many of the citizens, they were invisible. I don't wish to sound like a philanthropist, but I could not do that, so I carried a number of low-value coins, asses, or denarii in my bursa which I put in their outstretched hands as they sat there with heads bowed. I'm sure that sometimes the coins made the difference between them eating or starving on that day.

One day, a couple of months after I returned to Rome, I was out walking with Sabina and Flavia, buying a few small items which they carried for me. As usual, I had dropped a coin into the hands of some beggars, and coming upon a woman who looked even more desperate than the rest, I dropped two coins into her outstretched hand, saying as I so often did: “May the gods go with you”. At the sound of my voice, she suddenly raised her head and our eyes locked.

“Calpurnia!” she croaked.

“Attica!” I gasped. “But I thought you were, were...” and my voice trailed off.

“Lying dead under the ash of Pompeii? Yet here I am,” she said with a ghost of a smile.

“I am living in Rome again and my house is not far away. You must come and dine with me,” I said.

“That would be very nice since I last ate two days ago,” Attica replied and her smile seemed warmer.

“Let me help you to your feet. Can you walk a little way or should I find a wagon?” I said.

“I can walk, thank you, if it is not too far.”

“Attica and I were friends in Pompeii,” I said to Sabina and Flavia, shooting Attica a warning look. I did not want her to mention exactly what we were doing there, and she understood immediately.

When we arrived at my house, I arranged for her to have a bath and fresh clothes, after warning the two women that they would find her similar in body to me. In the meantime, I asked Magda to provide enough food for a hungry guest. When Attica appeared at the dining table, she was wearing a clean stola, and her hair had been washed and brushed. She looked like a different person to the one I had seen begging in the street.

If she was surprised that I now allowed Sabina and Flavia to eat with me she said nothing when they sat down. Magda brought the food and Quintus the wine. As we ate, Attica asked why I was back in Rome.

“I thought you lived on Sardinia,” she said. I gave her an abbreviated version of my time in Sardinia, explaining about Julius dying and the estate being left to Marcus. Somewhere in the story, I mentioned about me becoming the winemaker.

“I heard about a woman winemaker in Sardinia,” said Attica, “But I had no idea that it was you.”

“Well the wine you've been drinking and were so complimentary about was my best vintage, only drunk on special occasions,” I said.

To be concluded.

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a lovely Story...

Lucy Perkins's picture

I am really enjoying this story, Theresa, thank you so much for writing it.
For one thing, you have whet my appetite to find out more about Roman viniculture.
And oh what a lovely person Calpurnia is.
I do hope that when the god's call her, she quickly returns to be beside her husband and soulmate.
As I notice that you have said " to be concluded" I fear that that day is soon to be upon us.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

What a lovely wee person Calpurnia is!

Purple Pixie's picture

I am glad that you rescued Attica from Pompeii, but sad to see she has fallen in hard times now.
This is a grand story, and I am sad to see it drawing to a close.
Purple Pixie

The Sweetest Hours
That ere I spent
Were spent dressed
as a Lassie, Oh