Castle The Series - 0118 Babes, Breastfeeding, Banquets

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00333010

I DON’T WISH THE BRAIN FREEZEN FOR TOO LONG

CURRY POWDER

6th of Svertan Day 333

When Iola returned to her kitchens the following forenoon, Adela was replacing evaporated water in the kettle containing the mammoth head. The head had slid a little into the kettle, but it was in need of a lot more cooking. “Knapps came to have spaech with you quarter of an hour since, Iola. He sayt to tell you we can have the kettle extension nextday eve at the latest. The bottom half a span will fit inside the kettle so that condensing water drips back inside, and it will have four handles. He has taken one of the kettles and its lid away to ensure a good fit. I telt him we had no plans to use it before he returnt it with the extension. If we need it before then we just have to tell him, and he will return it. I opient that would be acceptable?”

“That’s excellent, Adela. I believt we wouldn’t have the extension for at least a tenner. That means we can finish cooking this head faster and the second one much faster.”

Iola had decided to make mammoth mulligatawny soup with the head and, after wishing her overnight crafters a tight sleep and making sure her day crafters were happy with what they had to do, she went to see Dabchick to learn how her crafters were faring before going to see Bruana with a view to selecting some vegetables.

She found Dabchick, Beatrix, Bwlch and Burnet in the chamber where they preserved gris rubbing what from the smell was a powdered, aromatic spice mixture into a dozen pieces of meat may hap a stride long, a foot wide and half a foot thick. She waited patiently, and Burnet, a salt and brine producer who she knew worked closely with the provisioners, said, “The meat is closer graint yet fattier than kine(1) so I suggest adding a little water, may hap a quarter again of the brine and half as much pink salt again as you have been using for the kine. I also suggest you leave the meat for ten to twelve days not seven or eight, but I could be wrong, and you know what you are looking for which will tell you when the meat has been brient long enough. You’ll know exactly how to make the brine in ten or twelve days at most.”

The three women laught and Bwlch, an apprentice provisioner, said, “I’ll fetch two pails of water.”

Iola saw Beatrix reach for a gallon glass jar that anomalously contained what looked like ordinary salt but was labelled Pink Salt.(2) Beatrix removed the span wide cork and spooned four rounded spoonfuls into the barrel. Bwlch was back with two pails hanging from the yoke on her shoulders, and she emptied the two pails into the barrel. Dabchick stirred the brine with a large wooden paddle with holes in it, Beatrix and Bwlch placed the meat in and Dabchick replaced the barrel lid.

Burnet asked, “When it’s ready, you will tell me please so I can see how it has cuert?”

“Of course, Burnet. Gratitude for your help.”

Burnet left and as Dabchick turned to Iola she asked, “Why is pink salt white, Dabchick?”

Dabchick and Beatrix laught, and Dabchick replied, “It’s callt pink salt because it keeps the pink colour in brient meat. Without it the meat goes gray.”

“It’s what we call nitre or saltpetre, Iola,” Beatrix explained. Iola shrugged her shoulders never having heard of either.

“Winefruit makes it for us and the miners, it’s uest in explosives too. The ore is mient and Winefruit and her crafters crush it and dissolve it in hot water before adding wood ashes. They pour the hot liquid off the waste sediment and evaporate the water off to leave the pink salt.” The three other women looked at Dabchick with amazement. On seeing the looks on their faces, Dabchick hastily continued, “My cousine Twailles crafts with Winefruit.”

“What are you making?” Iola asked.

Dabchick laught and said, “We’re trying to make Cornt Mammoth.”

Beatrix continued, “Saught asked us to make a quantity of cornt kine the way you told her corned beef was made. It was popular in packed meals, so she asked us to make some more. Then the mammoth came in and we decided to try that, seeing as how much meat there was.”

“When its done, may I try some? It could be a way of using more of Bruana’s dryt white beans.”

“Certainly.” Dabchick chuckled before continuing, “That boilt heart you providet Saught to use in soup rolls makes a tasty lunch, Iola. She bringen us some when she delivert the heart tops. She was using white hotroot(3) sauce with them and with my first bite I bethinkt me my head was on the wrong way. Have you tryt one?”

“Not with white hotroot, Dabchick. Mine had mustard on it, but the effect was similar. They must be popular though because Saught takes all the boilt large beast hearts I can supply her with. It’s no effort for us because we cook them in a kettle of stock that would be simmering any hap.” There was a lull in the conversation and Iola said, “I came to see how you were managing the mammoth, Dabchick.”

“The meat, bones and offal are all freezen. We’ve washt all the tripe once and it is simmering in seawater the now, the intestines are clean and in calt seawater. They will be ready for use nextday. We decidet we’d use them for spicet liver sausage including all the oddments and trimmings and some onions. There’s enough of everything to make a huge batch of haggis in a few days, so we decidet we’d do that too. There’s liver aplenty available, unless you wish it for something, Iola?”

“No. I’ve more than enough to be doing the now, without the liver. I’ll take the hearts to boil for Saught though. As soon as I’ve cookt the first head, I’m planning on cooking the other because I don’t wish it freezen for too long with the brain in. I’m not sure what to use the solids for, but the liquid could be uest as stock rather than for soup. You any ideas, Dabchick?”

“We could try using the solids in sausage, for if it’s not good it can go back into a soup, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be good. Well draint with some crumbt stale bread to dry it off, or may hap a crumb and coarse cereal mix, some herbs and mixt with a bit more fresh fatty meat, there’s fat aplenty on the mammoth, should make a good sausage. Stufft into a wide casing it would be good slicet diagonally and servt at braekfast. I could ask Spoonbill for a salt spice blend to go with it and test a sample first. What bethink you?”

Iola thought for a while before asking, “You’ve got the wide casings now from the mammoth. It’ll be another two or, probably three days before the head meat is ready to be uest. Do you wish the solids off this one or will you be too busy? I don’t mind whether I use this one or the second one, because we are not presst for soup at the moment. I’ve always got my freezen reserve, and if need be I could use the stock off the first one for soup because another big kettle is full of stock too, or just freeze it.”

“Are you sure regards that because it would be easier for us to do that?”

“Yes. I’ll use the stock for what I’d plannen before, but without the solids, it was only to use them. I’ll use the brain in the soup unless you wish it in the sausage? I can make kine soup with the second lot, or if your sausage is good you could make a second batch if you like? We can have spaech of that later.”

“You use the brain, Iola. Gratitude. We’ll see how the first sausage tastes before having spaech of a second batch.”

The two parted and Iola went to see Bruana, where she met Coaltit too. Iola had based her thoughts on fifty weights [100 pounds, 50Kg] of vegetables to make a batch of the Mulligatawny soup: roughly equal quantities of celery, onion, redroot,(4) starchroot,(5) sweetroot(6) and apple, and a tenth of that quantity of garlic. “But as long as its near that you can include what ever you wish, Bruana. I’ll leave a copy of the receipt with you and you can make it up as convenient. I’d like four weights(7) of dryt loveapples(8) or ten of fresh. Up to twice that if they need using, and I don’t mind if a quarter of them are green because we shall pound them. Four weights of a sweet fruit chutney, any fruit will do, or even a mix of fruit and honeyroot(9) shreddings. And I’d like half a gallon of yellow sour(10) juice, but twice that if you would prefer to give me red sour(11) juice, five weights of pulse, any pulse, the same of white wheat(12) with enough reedroot(13) to provide colour and flavour, may hap half a handful, and if you have any coriander(14) or fray(15) leaf or even parsley to serve it with I’d like some of that too. I won’t need it for two possibly three days. Is that all right, Bruana?”

Bruana, who considered Iola to be a very easy cook to work with because of her extreme flexibility, smiled and said, “That will be very easy for us. May I give you four weights of white wheat and one from a sack of barley that needs using, Iola?”

“Certainly, but if you like I’ll take five weights of the barley in place of the wheat. You never know it might be worth blending some barley off into the fragrant white wheat. I’ll ask Fulbert if he is prepaert to try a kettle of it. I suggest you ask Dabchick if she wishes any of the barley coarse millt or rollt because she wills a breadcrumb coarse cereal mix for some sausage.”

After Iola left, Coaltit remarked to Bruana how much easier Iola was to deal with than Eudes and all of his predecessors. The storekeepers had had three sudden vegetable deteriorations since the gourd. Iola’s predecessors would have sent the vegetables to the hens or the composters forthwith, not her. With the bin of sweetroot she changed her plans immediately and the sweetroot was on the menu that and the nexteve, both in soup and as a partial replacement for Fulbert’s redroots. The greenleaf(16) was cooked in stock in one of her big kettles, and frozen till she was ready to use it. In the end she’d uest most of it with whiteleaf,(17) starchroots and saltt gris(18) hocks to make Cabbage soup and Fulbert had uest the rest in Seven Craft Tatties. The nigh on a thousand weights of soft red loveapples she had cooked to pulp and frozen whilst awaiting Dabchick’s crafters to provide the minced(19) red meat she needed for a dish that was essentially loveapple pulp, huge quantities of wide flat noodles, chopt onion and minced meat with herbs for flavour. Loveapple Lasagne was novel and popular as a main meal and Fulbert’s and Eudes’ crafters had a lot less to do as a result. The remainder of the loveapples had been uest in Sausage and White Bean Casserôle.

Over the lunes Dabchick’s crafters had managed to use huge amounts of odds and ends in sausages. Oft they were used in Toad in the Hole by Coriander, or served along with even larger quantities of starchroot and waxroot(20) from Bruana’s crafters which were left unpeeled and merely chopped into large chunks to be parboiled and roasted in whatever fat was convenient. Some of the folkbirtht started to refer to green loveapples as tomatoes which was what all the elder newfolk callt them, though younger newfolk had started to refer to the red ones as loveapples. None of the sweetroot, the greenleaf nor the loveapples had caused any noticeable change in the pace of Iola’s crafters. Since Iola was calm regards it her crafters were too, it was just something that had to dealt with.

Iola went to see Spoonbill with a view to having a curry powder maekt to her receipt and having some thyme and mercyfruit(21) powdered separately. Spoonbill said he would have a sample for her to smell and try in the afternoon and the thyme and mercyfruit to her at the same time. She considered the curry powder to need a little more of the earthy deeper notes and a lot more fragrant higher ones. She and Spoonbill always uest music to represent the properties of spices and he agreed, but said he had prepared exactly what she had suggested so they had a starting point. He came back two hours later and the curry powder was good enough for her to say, “It may need modification, Spoonbill, but I won’t know till after I try it. Traditionally the blend had the mercyfruit in it too, but I’d rather have it separate so I can add the heatth independently from the flavour spices.” All was in place for the soup, all they had to do was wait till the stock was ready.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00335010

MILLIGAN’S MAMMOTH MULLIGATAWNY

SPOONBILL’S SPICY SALAMI SAUSAGE

8th of Svertan Day 335

The mammoth head had cooked down into the kettle by lastday, so the two feet high kettle extension had been removed and the lid replaced on the kettle for the last day of cooking. Iola’s crafters now were taking it in turns to use the four person bone gripping tongs to remove the larger bones of the completely collapsed mammoth skull onto one of the dished haggis oven shelfs on its modified cart. They uest the leafy vegetable forks to remove the brain and the straining tongs to remove the the remaining small bones, the meat and all other solids. They lifted the full tongs and let the liquid drain away before emptying the contents on the cart. The bones were removed to be boiled in a kettle of fresh water prior to being dried for milling, the teeth were sent to Hobby for his carvers to use.

Dabchick’s crafters removed the meat including the tongue and the residual liquid was poured back into the kettle leaving the brain for the soup and the eyes for Ingot’s dog biscuits. Iola’s crafters had softened the vegetables and fruit by sweating in dairy oil,(22) and then added the seasoning mix with the pounded loveapple. The vegetable base was cooked through prior to it and the finely chopped brain being added, in a strainer, to the stock. The yellow-sour juice and the pulses were added to the kettle, the huge frying pans were rinsed off into the stock and the whole bringen to temperature. When soft the strainer contents were pushed through a sieve into the stock. The cold, precooked barley was added ten minutes before serving. A slight addition of salt and ground fireseed(23) and it was done. That eve the soup was served with a swirl of soured cream and some refreshed coriander leaf as accompaniment. The popular soup was originally described as Mammoth Mulligatawny Mulligan because Iola was prepared to put almost aught into it, but it rapidly became became callt Milligan’s Mammoth Mulligatawny, much to his amusement.

Dabchick’s wide mammoth sausages which Eudes cookt for his Fryt Mammoth Slice, Smokt Blood Sausage, Saltt Gris and Scrambelt Egg, were enjoyed as braekfast fare. Dabchick had taken the second lot of mammoth head meat, and the spice blend for that had a lot more fireseed in it than the first batch. Her crafters decided since they had run out of the wide casings they would air dry the second batch, and a lune later Iola offered the name Spoonbill’s Salami. The sausage eventually became callt Spoonbill’s Spicy Salami, and the provisioners started making other air dried sausage using Spoonbill’s hotter spice mixture.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00336010

MORGELLE’S BABE

CAOILTÉ

9th of Svertan Day 336

Morgelle’s babe, Caoilté, taekt twenty-eight hours to arrive. He was a big babe at five weights and though Morgelle had suffered no damage she was exhausted. Fritillary had shewn Tuyere how to hold his son so he could nurse because Morgelle was drifting in and out of sleep, and was not able to hold him herself. Despite the reassurances, from both Fritillary and Ælfgyfu, that Morgelle was just exhausted, and not in any danger, Tuyere was desperately worried for his wife, but the needs of his son enabled him to remain calm. Morgelle slept most of the time for nearly three days, the only thing that reached her was Caoilté’s nursing, which maekt her open her eyes and smile at her son and husband.

Three lunes since Tuyere had hesitantly suggested Caoilté to Morgelle as a name for their babe should it be a boy. He had not been sure how she would react, but her tears of joy at his understanding completed her healing from the pain of separation from those she loved, and he had been glad for both of them he had suggested it. Though Morgelle loved him and seemed to be happy, he had always worried he was competing with the ghost of Morgelle’s lost love, Caoilté, then he knew he was not. Tuyere’s fears for Morgelle were only laid to rest when she reached for his hand and whispered as she weakly squeezed it, “It’s my turn now. I name the next one. Morwen after my ancestress, the most celebrated cruit player of all time, if she’s a girl.”

Morgelle and Tuyere had had spaech many times regarding how to deal with their envious younger kinsfolk and had in truth had had little difficulty, especially since her pregnancy had been announced by Fritillary at the eve meal. When Tuyere left his wife and son in Ælfgyfu’s care to find something to eat Bistort telt him, “You are now a father, Tuyere, and as such a man. You must put yourself beyond becoming irritated by the flaught like Furnace. You are clan chief in waiting, and if Castle be generous your wife has just birtht your successor. To ensure your acceptance by the elders, for the likes of Furnace are a riandet, who will provide the support you will have a need of you have to ignore the clegs,(24) for the elders will deal with them for you without you having to mention it. Do you understand that?”

“I doetn’t to start with, but Morgelle said that was how you managt the holding without seeming effort, for the elders’ approval maekt it difficult for any discontent to be taekt seriously by any else.” Tuyere looked awkward but continued. “Too, she sayt that she would be for me what Granddam is for you.”

Bistort smiled and said, “You are a true chip of my block, Grandson, for like myself probably the most intelligent thing you will have done by the end of you life will have been the choice of your wife.”

~o~O~o~

It was the following afternoon when Fritillary was with Morgelle, who was still abed, when she asked her, “Will you be able to eat dinner with us, Morgelle?”

“Yes, Mum. I was planning on having a wash and walking to the stoep to enjoy some fresh air. I may need a little help, but Auntie Ælfgifu sayt she would spend some time with me. She loves babies. Why?”

“We all love babies, Dear. It’s what makes us women. Girls like them, but have no real understanding of the emotions that accompany the responsibility. As to why, your Dad wills to introduce Caoilté to the family, I suspect as our heirs’ heir. I’ve heard him practising the pronunciation when he believt none could hear him.”

Morgelle looked her mum deep in the eyes and said, “I understand, Mum.”

Fritillary nodded and said, “I knew you would, Love. Make sure Tuyere does, for you can not afford to make any mistakes just yet.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00343010

TURNER’S (34) BOY BABE FROE

OTDAY NOW (14)

16th of Svertan Day 343

Turner had decided to birth at the infirmary and other than the midwifes telt only Otday of her decision. She liked Otday’s family, but their care to her she considered to be over solicitous. It stressed her and maekt her nervous. Master midwife Otter and Luval his apprentice had suited her well. They were careful with her, but taekt no chances and Luval visited her every tenner, for as Otter said, “You are twenty years older than the age at which most have their first,” yet they were not intrusive and certainly did not consider her to be ill. Otter telt her, “Just live life as you usually do, Turner. Your body will tell you when you need to rest a bit.”

Luval admitted when examining her, “I do everything twice, Turner, just to certain. My sorrow if that irritates you, but I am only an apprentice and you are the first mother to be that I have had the day to day care of without Otter’s direct supervision. Doubtless if I look after you next time I will have learnt enough to be a bit faster by then.”

“We all have to learn, Luval. You do what you need to do as oft as you need to do it and take as long as necessary. I can cope with that, for you do not try to swaddle me or suffocate me with care.”

Luval nodded in appreciation of her attitude and asked, “Have you been to see Molly regarding care to your breasts?”

“Yes, lunes over. She gave me some cream she sayt was derivt from sheep fleeces(25) to avoid crackt nipples and the worst of stretch marks. I never had any dealings with her before, but I like her because she takes a rather practical, no nonsense approach to pregnancy and nursing. It suits me.”

Luval smiled and said, “I’m not quite sure how many children she’s birtht, but it’s a good number I do know, and she’s been in milk all her adult life, so I suppose a practical, no nonsense approach is to be expectet of her.”

Turner and Otday had take three short trips with the team to nearby holdings, so Turner could escape from the females in his family, and all in all she had enjoyed her pregnancy. It was after braekfast, which they were eating in one of the White Swan’s dining rooms rather than in their suite, when Turner realised she needed to go to the infirmary. Ivy saw her leave and understandingly said, “Don’t worry, Turner, I shan’t tell any of your family, but I suggest you hurry and leave from the back so you can’t be seen from the stables.”

They left via the kitchens at the rear of the building and were grateful not to be seen by any, for Eorl Otday’s father ran Geofrey’s stables which were next door to the inn. Turner’s waters braekt halfway to the infirmary and she said to Ottday, “Mercy, I hope we can arrive without being seen.”

They were seen by none they knew, and Otter taekt them to a small chamber saying, “I shall allow none in that you do not tell me you wish here. I have telt you unstresst relaxt mums manage their birthings more easily. Luval knows this and has telt the rest of the infirmary staff your wishes. Now let’s have you in a bed jacket and maekt comfortable. Is Luval acceptable to deal with your waters? Or would you prefer a female member of staff?”

Taken by a contraction Turner could not reply, but was grateful when Otday said, “Turner would prefer Luval. She is uest to him.”

The couple had decided lunes over on Ivy for a girl and Froe for a boy, and Froe maekt his arrival just before eight in the early eve. Despite Otter’s caution that having a first at her age could be more difficult than for a fifteen year old Turner’s birthing was for the midwifes a routine matter with no problems. Turner was involved in the process and the only one who’d had concerns was Otday who was much relieved at the appearance of his son.

Unbeknownst to the couple, Otday’s mother, Betony, had received word from a friend that she’d seen the couple going into the infirmary. Deducing events she’d hurried to the infirmary to support her daughter and attend the birth of her grandchild. She’d been seriously put out to be telt her presence was not willen by Turner. Otter had been very short with Betony telling her he was busy and did not have the time to argue with her. It was left to Gosellyn to placate Betony which she did by suggesting there were particular medical problems associated with the changt and since Turner was the first of the changt they were aware of to have birtht they were taking no chances.

When Otday left a sleeping mother and child to find a meal, he was accosted by his mother, sister and half a dozen other female relatives. He was implacable. “No. You may not see my wife nor my son till Turner wills it so. Do not make me choose, Mother, for if you do we shall move to Dockside. And I have no intention of providing explanations. Now I need a meal and I have things to do. Goodeve.”

There was nothing the women could do and when a tearful Betony explained to Eorl what had happened he was sternly philosophical and said, “You know they are different, very different, but in one way I can see Otday is no different from me, for he is merely looking after his wife and child to the best of his abilities. I approve of his actions and am proud of my son for playing the man’s part. It is his wife who has just birtht, and doubtless like you were then she is probably too tired to make decisions for herself, so like a good husband should he is doing his best to make those decisions on her behalf according to what he believes she would decide were she able. Now dry your tears and accept that our grandson is their son and they make the decisions. If you don’t see him nexday it will probably be nextdaynigh, but I do not will you going to them. You must wait till they come to you. Unless of course you wish to drive them over the Arder.”

Sniffing, Betony realised her intelligent husband had the right of it, but she was still a little surprised for usually she was a more forceful character than her man, though when he did become forceful as now he was implacable, and he did know Turner much better than she did having looked after her team for many years.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00345010

PHŒBEʼS (46) BABE ANGHARAD

KNAPPS

18th of Svertan Day 345

Phœbe had had a difficult pregnancy, and the midwifes had telt her they considered that Cwm having to cut in for her babe to birth it was a probability rather than a possibility. That had upset her because she had also learnt that they also considered that she could probably have a family not just one but it would be inadvisable should they have to birth her babe chirurgically.(26) Knapps had been supportive and was far more concerned for the weäl(27) of his wife than that they may not be able to have more than one child.

Knapps had said he would like to name his child Drift were he to be a boy. He explained a drift was what he considered to be a simple seeming, yet sophisticated tool that took time and care to make, but were she to be a girl he would like Phœbe to provide the name. Phœbe had decided on Angharad which was the name of an elderly prostitute who had taken the rôle of grandmother to Phœbe in the early days of her working life as a whore. Angharad had taught Phœbe all there was to know about men and investments too, and Phœbe decided she’d acknowledge her debt by naming her daughter after her. That none would know didn’t matter, for she considered it was the right thing to do.

Phœbe had been birthing for nearly thirty hours and was rapidly reaching the end of her strongth. The healers had taken Knapps away explaining this was no normal birthing and they may have to act quickly to ensure the safety of his wife and babe. Cwm and Vervain her apprentice had all prepared for a chirurgical birth. The herbs which aided the womb to push, and in the process invariably caused tearing, had been administered to no avail, Phœbe’s womb had not responded. However, the midwifes, Irena and her apprentice Lilly, considered one last option may be available to them. Irena indicated to Lilly she was to have spaech with Falcon the Master herbal concerning their discussion. “Falcon,” Lilly asked, “what is the risk to Phœbe if we administer a much larger dose of the herbs? I suppose what I am asking is how large a dose could we administer with safety? And are there any other herbs we could use in combination with the usual preparation with safety? Too, is there anything we could give her to provide some strongth even if it be only short term? I ask because Phœbe desperately wills a family not just this one.”

“The usual herbs are dangerous in excess. They can stop the heart. I would be confident concerning the safety of administering the same again but no more. We could try adding the rye fungus mould(28) that we use to induce abortion and a preparation baest on honeyroot derivatives(29) used to provide energy for those too ill to take solid food. I have no idea if the mould will work with the herbs. I would suggest that if we do not have significant progress in the birthing within fifteen minutes Cwm births the babe, for the energy gain will have ended by then and it rarely works twice within an hour. Do you will me to administer such a mixture?”

Irena and Lilly looked at each other and nodded. Irena said, “Yes. And quickly please.”

Irena was much stronger than her hunched back would suggest and had no trouble holding Phœbe steady enough for Lilly to pour the mixture into her throat whilst massaging her neck to make her swallow the mixture which Falcon had said was very bitter despite the honeyroot. Phœbe’s contractions were accompanied by powerful convulsive muscular spasms and it took two of the men to hold her down to avoid her hurting herself or worse dislocating any of her joints. Five minutes later Angharad was birtht, and Cwm and Vervain were ready to stitch the worst tearing either had ever seen resulting from birthing. Falcon insisted Phœbe was held down for at least another fifteen minutes. Phœbe seemed to be unaware of events and was lapsing in and out of consciousth. Falcon waited for the effects of the mould preparation to wear off and till Phœbe recovered consciousth. Phœbe clearly in a great deal of pain was crying as she asked, “Did my baby die?”

Falcon was offering her a cup of pain relief when Lilly pushed him to one side, “Your little girl is perfect, Phœbe. A feather under two and a half weights [five pounds].” Lilly helped Phœbe put Angharad to her breast and said, “Irena will help you, Phœbe. I’ll go and fetch Knapps.”

Focussed on her babe at her breast, Phœbe absent mindedly drank her pain relief and seemed indifferent to Vervain’s stitching. Once she had been maekt comfortable and Cwm and Vervain had gone Lilly went for Knapps. As Falcon had predicted Phœbe was barely able to keep her eyes open by the time Knapps arrived. She managed to say, “Isn’t she beautiful? I can have—” and that was as much as she could say before sleep over whelmed her.

“It’s the painkillers, Knapps. Phœbe’s exhaustet. We’ve uest powerful herbs, and as we explaint would happen she has suffert some damage that Vervain and Cwm have stitcht. It’ll be half a tenner before she can arise from her bed. The midwifes will shew you how you can assist Phœbe to nurse your daughter. I think what she was trying to tell you was that more children are possible. When she wasn’t quite rational due to the herbs it was all she was having spaech of. I suggest you find something to eat and have some sleep, for you will be of no aid to your wife and little girl three-quarters dead from fatigue.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00346010

KISSES ARE VERY NICE AREN’T THEY

WE’RE TRYING FOR A BABE

19th of Svertan Day 346

Judith insisted she and Storm went back to the Keep so Mum, Dad, Iola and Alwydd could meet Charlotte. Iola telt her mum and dad Heron had taken a small suite of chambers to be nearer the kitchens and she had been spending some of her nights there. She also telt them she and Heron wished a family and were going to marry as soon as she became pregnant. Judith and Storm were happy at the prospect of being grandparents, and Storm telt her, “I telt you, if you listent to your mum you would be comfortable, and I am glad you doet. I do hope you are starting to consider names, for it is a wonderful thing to be able to do after you have maekt love with the intent of creating a babe.”

Iola didn’t say aught to Heidi, but it wasn’t necessary, Heidi was as perceptive as she was intelligent, and she knew. Uncharacteristically diffident, she asked Iola, “You are much more relaxt and amusing to be with now, Iola. Is it that much better being completely grownup?”

Iola’s eyes softened as she recognised Heidi wasn’t being nosy or in any sense voyeuristic, she was merely seeking information of the growing up process. “I’m nowhere near completely grownup, Heidi, but yes, for me growing up makes life much better.” Iola considered a second or two, and knowing her sister would find out, within at most a few days, for it was no secret, she was spending nights at Heron’s chambers, continued, “We are trying for a babe and intend agreement when I’m pregnant. The healers and the midwifes say I have finisht growing and pregnancy is safe.” Iola laught and added, “May hap more importantly, Molly sayt the same, but she addet it’s much safer to have your first a bit young than when too old. I know at my age whence we came it would be considert shameful, but we’re here, and here it is considert proper and sensible to start a family at my age, and I agree and am looking forward to it. We have good crafts, good prospects and wish a family. Dad telt me to start thinking of names because he sayt it’s a wonderful thing to do when you are trying for a babe, and he’s right. Gran and Granddad can’t wait to become great grandparents and Heron’s mum and dad are thrillt by the prospect.”

Heidi was in no way surprised that Iola had had spaech with their parents and grandparents of the matter and said, “I’m still on kisses, but they are very nice aren’t they? Rampion’s grandparents seeën us kissing one day, and Yew said, ‘The pair of you are lucky. I had to wait a long time before I kisst Rampion’s gran. She was worth the wait, but still you are lucky.’ Rowan doetn’t say aught of us kissing, but she hugt me and invitet us both for lunch the day after. They’re both pleast for us, and I like them a lot, mostly because, like Gran and Granddad, they don’t make Rampion nervous. I’m happy for you, Iola, and I too wish to grow up betimes. I bethinkt myself I was happy with kisses for the now, though I have enjoyt Rampion looking at my bosom for awhile.”

Heidi hesitated as if wondering whether to say any more, but she continued with her train of thought. “He says he enjoys looking at my breasts, so I wear tight blouses or ones that gape so he can see them just by looking down. I’ve telt him that’s why I wear what I do and I like him looking. From what other girls tell me he’s unlike most boys for he doesn’t press me for more than I’m happy with. He’s gentle and kind, and though he admits he would enjoy a more adult relationship I know he is telling me the truth when he says he is happy to wait till I say I am ready for more, which is probably why I love him.”

Though young, Heidi was now a big girl with a much more significant bosom than her elder sister. Still growing it had finally matched her cotte(30) and hips, and whilst nowhere near as tall as Iola Heidi appeared to be the elder of the two, for many Folk women were only of Heidi’s highth or less. Heidi was quiet for a few moments and then, in what her sister knew was the result of thinking deeply, she characteristically reached a decision and blurted it out, “I’m going to let Rampion touch my breasts and my cotte too, for, a few days since, I tript going up some stairs, and as he catcht me both his hands were on my cotte and my breasts were pusht gaint his chest. It was so nice I forgett the pain in my leg for a while, and I’d never seen that smile on his face before. So doubtless we’ll enjoy that, and after all what’s the point in having breasts if I’m going to waste my opportunities by only letting him look? I’ll probably have to take his hands and put them in my frock, so I’ll need to wear an apron(31) and leave the laces slackt because there’s no point in making my life difficult is there? After all we do have a leaçe(32) of each other.” A sudden smile crossed Heidi’s face as she added, “and that is a thing that works both ways, isn’t it.”

Iola smiled at Heidi’s decision and knew none could make her abandon it, and why should any? For being touched by a boy who cared was wonderful, and she had started by encouraging Heron to caress her breasts. She had wonderful memories of that Fourth Quarterday and the feminine sensations that had resulted from Heron teasing her aroused nipples with his kisses. The overwhelming electrical connection, she knew of no better way to describe it, that had surged from her breasts to the very centre of her femininity had given her a far more rapid and intense release than she had ever provided herself with, and she’d been so amazed that it had happened purely from having her breasts kissed that without thinking she’d taken his hands from her breasts to her softth,(33) certain that would better meet her still unsatisfied needs. So compelling had her involvement with the moment been that it had rapidly, heedlessly led to other things, including her exploration of Heron and her enjoyment in providing Heron with the relief he had given her, which unlike herself her sister had clearly realised in advance of the event.

Iola’s awakening as a woman with the man she loved and knew she was loved by had been so profound it had been difficult for her to wait the time specified by the herbals. She’d seduced a very surprised Heron at the first available opportunity, for unlike him she’d not been able to resist her desires, and though not as intense as having her breasts fondled Heron’s stroking of her cotte had maekt her feel very much of a woman rather than a girl.

Iola smiled again knowing Heidi had already thought through the details of how she was going to bring her plan to fruition with her reluctant heartfriend. She also knew what Heidi would have to discover for herself: once Rampion had touched her breasts for them too it would be but a short step to them touching and enjoying every part of each others’ bodies, and though they may choose to wait a while before making love there were many routes to loving pleasure. “We are lucky to be here, Heidi. My step dad beat me for having spaech with boys. I don’t wish to even consider what he would have done to me if he had findt out I had been kissing one. He’d have nearly killt me if he’d findt out I had encouragt a boy touch my breasts. The way heartfriends are regardet on Castle is much better for girls, and boys too I suspect, than the situation on Earth where growing up is almost regardet as a crime, for here it has the protection of the Way including the proscription of vaucht.(34) On Earth at your age a valid relationship would have been regardet as impossible and outrageous, and Rampion would have been gaolt, but here if you say it’s what you wish none will challenge you or Rampion and that is how it should be, a matter of both your choices, but may hap it would be better to declare your intentions, for then the Way gives you rights to each other that none can gainsay. But if you so do, go to the herbals for the herbs to prevent pregnancy, for once intendet it’s almost impossible to control the desire to make love, and why should you? But you really shouldn’t risk pregnancy till you have finisht growing.”

Heidi was quiet for a few seconds before saying formally, “For some one who lays claim to not being very clever, you manage to say some remarkably clever and insightful things, and I am grateful you share them with me, Sister Iola. I shall tell Rampion what you have sayt, and we shall become intendet, for we have discusst agreement when we are older. I know Rampion will agree to be intendet now rather than later, for, though he hasn’t sayt aught of it to avoid pressuring me, I know it will make him feel more secure, for, despite all I have telt him, he fears losing me to some other cleverer than he. I’ll see the herbals too.” Heidi hugged Iola and added, “I am really glad to be here, and I love all of my new family more than I can say, but I’m especially happy to have you, Sister Iola.”

“I was on my own, an only child, and Heron and my family here are the best thing that has happent to me since my Dad dien after which I contemplatet suicide. I too love all of you more than I can say, but so close a sister as you makes my life better than I could have ever imagint before I came here.” Iola had tears running off her cheeks and Heidi hugged her tightly again. They had discussed their previous lifes, but Heidi had not appreciated how bad Iola’s had become after her dad died.

“I don’t know how my life would have goen if I had not arrivt here, Iola. My dad was wonderful, he was a self employt builder and though busy I know he lovt me, but my mum was on the Council and wisht to to be in Parliament. She was far too busy with politics to take any notice of me. I’m not sure she remembert she had a daughter most of the time. Though I knoewn all four were alive, I never met my grandparents. Granny, Granddad, Mum and Dad here are much more caring, and having brothers and sisters is much better than being an only child, and it’s good, especially for Alwydd, that Spearmint is now our sister too. The Folk have got that right. Family care here; all care here, and it’s clear from their behaviour. I know there are a lot of children here who are happy and settelt now who would have had bad endings betimes had they stayt on Earth.”

Heidi hesitated as if wondering how much more to say before continuing. “I’m going to have agreement with Rampion on the day when I’m fourteen Castle years, and his parents have agreen if he’s still my agreän he’s going to be Lord of Castle. A rather spiteful part of me, which I’m not proud of, but which I can’t help enjoying naytheless, wishes my Earth Mum could see me become Lady Heidi of Castle, which is a change Rampion wills to see happen. I promisst him I wouldn’t spaek of that, so please keep it to yourself. I’m truly not boasting, or may hap I am, but not for me. It is just that I was so proud of him when he telt me of that and of the other things he wills to do for the Folk. He is not clever, but he is not witless, it just takes him time to consider things, and he needs someone to give him the time because he worries so, and because I give him that time he is kind and loving to me. Mum and Dad, Gran and Granddad, you and the others have maekt my life much better than it was, and I truly hope you are pregnant betimes because I can see how happy it will make you.” Heidi thought a second and continued beaming, “And I shall then be an auntie, which, to use your word, will be just brilliant!”

The sisters hugged again and Iola said, “I love my craft, Heidi, and I don’t envy you at all because that kind of a future would terrify me. I am glad we are sisters, and I promise I shan’t repeat what you just telt me.”

Heidi, who knew what Iola had faced, and what she was still facing in the kitchens, considered what lay in her own future to be far less challenging than what her sister’s life held was surprised by that, but she said naught.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00348010

VERONICA’S (43) BABE FLINT

LET’S JUST KEEP WAGGONING

21st of Svertan Day 348

Veronica and Mast were of the belief, given what the midwifes had telt them, she had a lune to go before birthing. The weather was dreadful and they were only using trails where there was overnight shelter for both themselfs and the horses every night. The trip plans they had laid would bring them back to the Keep two tenners before Veronica was due, and they thought they had everything organised, including what Veronica considered to be a beautiful crib suitable for the waggon maekt by Peregrine. After supper that eve, at a cabin, which was really a stable with a fireplace gainst a wall and sleeping quarters in the hayloft, in the middle of nowhere with a blizzard blowing a complete whiteout, three days after their last call at a holding, and with two days to go before they reached the next one, Veronica realised she was going to be a mother for the third time. She explained everything she knew of the process to a terrified Mast, who accepted the situation, and ten hours later birtht Flint. By the time the blizzard had blown itself out and they reached the next holding, Flint was six days old and Veronica was a happy mum who had no idea what Flint had weighed at birth and had never even thought of it. Mast had recovered from his terror and was the proud father of a vigorous son who was even more interested in Veronica’s breasts than his dad. Given the circumstances, Veronica and Mast decided to keep waggoning and trade for what ever they thought they may need for Flint as they thought of it, but they wished to go back to the Keep to collect the crib because Flint was currently having to sleep in a box of trade furs.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00349010

LOOSESTRIFE’S FAMILY

IRONWOOD

22nd of Svertan Day 349

As Bramling had said would happen, the Folk had long since stopped gossiping over their family structure. Loosestrife’s son, Tench, and his husband, Knawel, had lived for years with her daughter, Bramling. Tench and Knawel had adopted Oliver and Claire, two newfolk orphans, and Bramling had two children, Gdana and Grebe. The paternity of Gdana and Grebe was subject to much speculation because it wasn’t known. It was no surprise to any when Loosestrife moved in with her children, for that was a normal arrangement mongst the Folk with widowed and widowered parents. What was not known to the Folk was that Loosestrife and Bramling both slept with Tench and Knawel from time to time. They weren’t ashamed of it, for in Folk terms there was nothing to be ashamed of. They were just all rather private persons. When Loosestrife realised she was pregnant the family discussed matters and Bramling said she was going to have a bed maekt big enough for them all and she’d live with the gossip, for it wouldn’t last two tenners. Knawel proposed an agreement of four which they concluded was how they wished to live.

When the children discovered their granddam was going to have a baby they were excited, but disappointed the event was lunes away. The gossip had been intense but as Bramling had said it faded quickly as other events pushed their family structure into the distant past. By the time of Loosestrife’s birthing of Ironwood, the gossip wasn’t even a memory. Loosestrife had had easy births before and four hours after she started birthing Ironwood, who had arrived attended by his much elder sister and brothers and his older nieces and nephews, Agrimony, the midwife had gone.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00351010

FORMALISING THE AGREEMENT

ALL THE BY PRODUCTS

24th of Svertan Day 351

Joseph, who thought highly of Iola, had for some time been thinking that the relationship forged by Iola on behalf of the kitchens with his family concern ought to be formalised so that they could both benefit from the security that would create. He had gone to see Iola and put the idea to her. “Gordon regards the exchange of still tailings(35) for the egg shells(36) as a good trade. I am happy to provide you with all the brewing sediments for no charge because there were times when it was an embarrassment and had to be kine food or even compost which was a waste. That you have it processt to trade for food to feed the Folk we approve of. Coaltit suggestet we include the wine barrel crystals the bakers use in risings too, for the tokens involvt are few, and it would be outside the spirit of the proposal should we not. Diana’s honeyroot by products, which we give away to any who wish them, Gander believes you should be given the first option on as you feed the Folk directly with them. I am willing to put all that to the Folk in exchange for your willingth to take our poorer products like the cider and the little wine or beer producet that is not too good. We could of course just put all of the poorer products into a still, but Dad sayt better we sell it to you at a reasonable consideration so that we can eat better.

“The idea is an agreement to supply all by products either free or at a lesser price in return for a guarantee you will take them all. You have uest all our poorer products since you taekt your office which has helpt us. This would be a separate arrangement from aught we supply the kitchens via Gibb, but we would like to include the first fiveteen gallons of whisky you require for your Burns suppers free of cost. We should do this because it is a new product and your Burns suppers will increase the Folk’s awaerth of it and develop a taste for it which it is only right we should pay for. I accept you would wish to put this to Milligan for his approval, but all in the family are agreen, if it comes to a settlement, it should be you making the appearance for the kitchens. I have raist this now to give enough time for the details to be agreen before second Quarterday. Beseems it you a good idea, Iola?”

Iola had been listening carefully. It was not that she thought Joseph was in any way less than honest but she would have to be able to tell Milligan what he had said. “Yes. I appreciate what you say regards the security for us both that would result. You are right, this is a negotiation which needs to have Milligan’s approval. Give me a few days, Joseph. I shall have spaech with Milligan concerning the matter. Whilst times would you have it written up formally as something that you could read from the platform for Milligan to look at?”

“Certainly. I’ll ask Lunelight to do that and give it to you to shew Milligan. Gratitude.”

When Iola telt Milligan of Joseph’s proposal he was happy with it and said, “Really we should have considert it ourselfs. From our point of view it gives us less costly supplies without having to waste time negotiating anew every time, which doubtless is one of Joseph’s reasons for the proposal. It is right that you represent us on the platform, and I’m sure you will be able to use what ever he supplies. Give Lunelight’s record to Gibb first, and he’ll pass it on to me. I’ll ask Pleasance to read it as the final version will be written by her and Lunelight.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00355010

KENNEL SQUAD CONEY

FIFTY-ISH, BUT BETTER TWICE THAT

28th of Svertan day 355

Bay maekt the stones for milling the bones and George had designed the crushing rollers to have a shredding action to braek the bones up more than a simple pair of crushing rollers would have done. Jason had done the metal forging and Briar, Barret, Oak and Jason had assembled it all ready for Acorn and Knott, carpenters with the ingeniators, to build the vat which enclosed the stones and the outlet chute. Briar was surprised how fine the resultant flour could be produced. Because the vermin spoilt flour had been uest, Ingot had been using good flour for a tenner and a half to make the dogs’ biscuits with before the first batch of bone flour was delivered. Like Briar he was surprised at how fine it was, but it baked into hard biscuits, and his dogs were happy to eat them. Gage said his dogs ate them faster than the ones baked with spoilt grains and flour.

Gage was fond of coney soup and had asked Iola how many she needed to make a batch. “Depends on size, Gage, but fifty-ish average siezt coneys would make a thin three hundred gallon batch, better twice that, but as long as I have all the giblets, I could probably manage with fifty and add some poultry to make up the meat. If I don’t have the giblets I could always use some mild tasting offal in their stead. Why?”

“So if the squad provides you with the equivalent of at least a hundred decent siezt coneys in mixt coneys, partridge, dove and small game, you could make a batch of soup?”

“Yes, but why are you asking me?”

Gage grinned and replied, “My brothers telt me to, and Beth sayt if I doetn’t ask you she would, cos the boys had telt her to. We all like your coney soup with crusty barley rolls, and the way we see it is if we catch them we should at least eat what we like every now and then. Can you use the other small game Jed kills, and the gliders and birds Guy kills too?”

“Yes. Usually, they come into the butchers, but I receive them from Dabchick. I just use them as coney or poultry, the same as I do with any other small game that comes in, which is mostly bringen in by the foragers. Since I use aught that comes out of the sea in something, regardless of how many legs it does or doesn’t have, I don’t see what I cook that lives on the land should be trett any differently. Folk need to eat, and though Qvuine sayt, after the mijom,(37) we are passt the point this year where rationing is a possibility, I’ll tell you in confidence, Gage, I don’t have her confidence regards that. However, you’d be surpriest at the variety of frog, lizard, snake, bugs of various kinds and other equally unlikely meat that just seems to disappear in soup. The smallest, after the gralloch and skinning, we just dry whole like shrimp and slater(38) and mill them as a soup ingredient.”

Gage grinned, but said, “I appreciate the confidence, Iola, and I shan’t repeat it. I doubt I’d be surpriest at what goes into soup, but as long as it’s tasty I don’t care. But my gratitude for telling me because I now know you’ll use what ever we kill, and there will be no problems regards it. If we shell, pluck or skin and gralloch the catch and deliver the carcasses for soup straight to you rather than the butchers before any has a chance to see what the meat is will you make coney soup with them? Because if you will, we’ll be able to provide half as much again as we currently do.”

Iola smiled at Gage’s suggestion, because, it was known to all, the squad always plucked, skinned and grallocht what they caught to trade the feathers and skins in order to feed their animals and maintain the kennels. Initially there had been some objections from jealous young adults that the squad had no right to trade or sell what they maintained belonged to the Folk not the squad. Will knew the squad maekt nothing for themselfs out of their craft activities beyond their legitimate remuneration and that all of them crafted far more hours to maintain their office and feed the Folk than could be tightly expected of them. Linden had telt him that the siblings maintaining the kennels themselfs maekt it much easier for her staff since they doet not have to provide the tokens and keep records of it all. Will considered it to be a satisfactory and intelligent arrangement and his reaction to the criticism was classic Will. “To make sure their consciences remain clear I suggest any who don’t like how my office conducts itself give up eating aught we provide.”

Happy to feed the squad what they wished to eat, and pleased her meat supply was going to increase as a result of Gage’s awaerth of her lack of squeamishth where feeding the Folk was concerned, she replied with a broad smile, “If I doetn’t, that would be ungrateful wouldn’t it? Is there any chance of some more pheasants, slew,(39) or other fatty creatures, Gage, that I can use in Cock-a-Leekie? I need six, but I can freeze fewer till I have enough.”

Gage considered for a moment and said, “I suggest, Iola, we deliver all our catch to you. After all, there’s no point in taking it to the butchers as we always dress it ready for cooking, and most of it is uest by you any hap, and that way none will know what you’re using. I’ll tell Will and Gale that’s what we’re doing. They won’t be bothert, but none can complain then, and I’ll bring you any hares bringen in by others with our catch too.” Gage grinned and said, “And of course we’ll skin them for you too.”

Iola laught at Gage’s deviousth at acquiring the hare pelts, but delighted with Gage’s suggestion said, “Send it all to Dabchick, she just sees meat as meat and has been dealing with a remarkable variety of creatures for years. I know because I uest all her remnants in the Storekeepers’ Smoking Stovie. I’ll tell Gibb, Morris and Dabchick of the arrangement. That way if the meat cooks wish aught they’ll know they have to have it from Dabchick rather than the butchers and can’t complain regards it, and aught unusual she’ll reserve for me. Any hap, it’s rare the meat cooks can have small game from the butchers as the butchers have it sent to Dabchick immediately it’s skint. Your catch they don’t even take out of the handcart.”

After that, Kennel Squad Coney was maekt twice a lune. It was popular with not just the squad, and the approven arrangement soon became known and accepted as sensible, though Iola’s brother Alwydd was embarrassed regards it for a while as he was teased for exerting his influence to gain preferential treatment for the squad. The rest of the squad played along and said it just proven how clever he was.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00358020

THE BIGOTS TAKE A SHOWER

EFFLUENT

1st of Haldol Day 358

The council had had little to discuss but it was clear Will was amused concerning some thing. Gareth said, “I think that’s it, but before Yew reaches for the brandy Will has a rather amusing tale to relate. Will?”

Yew interupted to say, “The tale goes well with brandy. You wait a couple on minutes, Will.”

Will grinned and said, “Yew opines all goes well with brandy, but in this case I agree with him, so pour me a goodly glassful, Yew.” The brandy was poured and passed berount before Will resumed. “The deadth of Mortice caust a considerable amount of unrest mongst the flaught who demandet of Thomas that the matter be investigatet and Turner and Otday be given to Castle. Thomas?”

Thomas said, “That’s so, but it was clear they had no care to Mortice and were just trying to foment discord twixt the Folk and the changt. I askt them what was the point of turning out a pair of waggoners who had dozens of holdings to go to where the holders would be delightet to accept them as kin. A pair of highly accomplisht waggoners who make sizeable contributions to preventing rationing by leading in food when most waggoners will not take their waggons and teams onto the trails. I telt them if they willen to make the matter a personal one they would be facing the entire group of the changt who now their vulnerable members were living else where would doubtless be happy to drag them all up onto the allure and threw them all over the parapet into the sea. I suggestet even if they doetn’t like the changt it would be sensible to avoid them, for then the changt would ignore them. It seems they believe the abilities of the changt are grossly exaggeratet purely to intimidate them and that there are far fewer changt than we now know there are. I doet not correct either misbelief. They left me muttering threats and imprecations regarding the changt and what they would do to them. I askt Swegn to have private spaech with me and telt him all I knew and had surmiest. Swegn?”

Swegn smiled and said, “I said I’d deal with the matter in as non violent a manner as possible. I askt all of us to compile a list of the bigots so that we could deal with them all at once. It took us some time and we decidet that the matter should be dealt with during this meeting so that our actions could not be preventet. My sorrow, but I doet tell you that we would protect each other.” Swegn emptied his glass and pushed it to Yew for a refill.

Plume asked, “So what is going on, Swegn? Will, you seem to know as well as Thomas, Gareth and Yew.”

Will having taken his refilled glass said, “Swegn askt me if we had enough rope so as to bind some four hundred folk. He assuert me they would not be hurt any more than was necessary, so I lent him what he needet. I trust, Swegn, the rope will be washt before you return it.”

Swegn laught and said, “Naturally. To get on with the tale some of our kith are ingeniators and understand regarding pumps and plumbing. They have divertet the effluent from Mike and Spruce’s water closets via large bore pipes to the machiolation(40) opposite the dock tower. The bigots are currently tien fast in barges in the dock and are being trett to a deluge of that effluent. It is our plan to stop when the effluent tanks run dry which I’m telt will take no more than quarter of an hour or possibly twenty minutes at the most. It should be all over now. Since there is little difference twixt the bigots and the effluent I thought it appropriate. Another glass please, Yew.”

Most of the Councillors were choking with laughter and those that weren’t had face splitting smiles on their faces. Master ingeniator(41) Roebuck telt them, “That’s what the machiolations are for. As well of course for dropping far more dangerous things on an enemy in safety. Boiling pitch, molten lead, heavy rocks, arrows, spears and the like.”

“Tell me,” asked Thomas when are you going to untie them?”

Swegn grinned and replied, “Are you joking, Thomas? None of us are going to touch that. We’re informing their families and kith, so the answer is as soon as they can bring themselves to it. We’ll advise them to threw the flaught into the moat to wash the bulk of it off as soon as they untie them. We considert that having to deal with the consequences of their flaught kith in such a way will encourage them to make serious representation to the flaught not to do anything that will cause us to repeat their experience. We will be informing them that should their flaught kith take steps gainst us or threaten us again next time we’ll push the barge out into the Arder and the current and the tide will do with them whatever Castle wills.” Swegn had no grin on his face now and he finished by saying, “It’s reacht the point where if they threaten us we shall ensure they never do it again.”

Will asked, “And my rope?”

“Don’t worry, Will, we’ll pump fresh sea water over it for half an hour. It’ll be cleaner than when you lent it to us.”

Yew asked, “You write all that down, Gareth? It needs recording.”

“Naturally. How many do you bethink yourself will be unaffectet by this, Swegn. How many diehard bigots are we going to have to deal with in the future?”

“A couple of score, may hap fifty, no more, but we’ve decidet to leave the vulnerable at the holdings till all is resolvt.”

The Councillors all nodded at the wisdom of that and Yew closed the meeting and reached for another case of brandy.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00358010

THE MILLSTONES

TWO BREASTFEEDING EXPERIENCES

1st of Haldol Day 358

Rock, now five and a half Castle years old as he put it, and heartfrienden with Revæl, a pretty and intelligent five year old with ambitions to be craft musician, had decided he wanted to follow in his parents’ crafts and was spending most of his time with his dad who much to Judith’s relief had found some good stone suitable for the mill stones by the time time Charlotte was a tenner old. When he had telt her she had smiled in relief. It may not have been the best of times but it was a long way from being the worst of times. The stone was several hours whilth from the mill site which meant Storm was away a lot of the day and sometimes overnight, and having to look after and teach Rock taekt his mind off recent events and he wasn’t harassing Judith, the children or Charlotte with his misplaced concern for his wife’s and new daughter’s weäl.
+
Their other children naturally wished to spend time with Charlotte, but Storm was concerned they would overtire Judith and Charlotte. The more of her children she had berount her the happier Judith and all her children were, but she missed Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Mum and Dad. Heidi was spending time at the Keep to be with Rampion. None of the young couple’s parents had been happy when they’d declared their intention, but there’d been naught they could do. Rampion’s grandfather, Yew, and Heidi’s grandmother, Matilda, had been philosophical regards the matter, and both had said more or less the same of it which amounted to, ‘Leave it be, for it has them happy thus far and either it continues to do so or not. In any event there is little any of us can do, and if the worst should happen we just have to help them cope.’

Yew had added, “None can shoulder the pain for any else. All one can do is help them suffer it by being there for them.” It had only been a few days before the matter had been forgotten in the press of more recent events, and since there had never been any suspicion of vaucht in any’s mind regards the relationship the young couple became accepted as just another intended pair within a tenner.

Charlotte was a good babe, and right from her birth had been happy to be carried in a contrivance that allowed her be properly supported in front of her mum’s heart and to nurse when ever she wished. She liekt to sleep with her head between Judith’s breasts. For Judith there were two distinct breast feeding experiences. When Judith was working and Charlotte decided she was hungry Judith was aware of her attempts to nurse, and so sat down to allow Charlotte to do so, but it was just a pleasant part of her and Charlotte’s day. Nursing Charlotte in the eves, however was very different, for it was special for both of them and for her other children too. Judith allowed nothing to disturb her family then. When Judith was surrounded by her children and enjoying being a mum Charlotte suckled much more slowly, as if, Judith thought, she were dining rather than just eating. Her hands opened and shut repeatedly like a kitten paddling whilst she nursed, and Judith, who couldn’t sing the same note twice even if she tried, hummed and crooned as her awaerth of her surroundings faded and she became totally absorbed in nursing Charlotte.

By the time Charlotte was a lune old, Silverherb and Wheatear had bringen the four huge pre-shaped pieces of stone to the mill site using both their teams to pull each stone in turn. Despite the hilly terrain, loading and unloading the stones was more difficult and dangerous than transporting them, and Brock and Bruin had supervised their loading and unloading with a pair of sheerlegs cranes of George’s design. Storm was now much more rational concerning Judith and Charlotte’s weäl. He was also preoccupied with the millstones and Rock’s education. Charlotte, in her crib, was happy to sleep through the noise of the hammers as Rock and Judith helped Storm to shape and face the enormous stones. Judith maintained Charlotte must regard hammers on stone as a lullaby as she invariably dropped off to sleep within minutes of hearing the sound. Storm was a sure, deft and quick crafter, but these were the first new stones Judith had seen maekt, and they taekt their time so she and Rock could benefit as much as possible from the experience.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00364010

ESTELLE

EDWIN

7th of Haldol Day 364

Estelle was a brown eyed, olive skinned, deep bosomed, wide hipped, very tall, and good-looking fourteen year old of Mediterranean heritage, considerable social sophistication and moderate intelligence. Her movements back on Earth had been closely controlled by her family, who were negotiating a marriage with the twenty-four year old son of a business competitor, which would be advantageous for the couple and for both families. She accepted the close supervision, but they couldn’t finalise the wedding arrangements soon enough for her because she wanted everything ready for a wedding on her sixteenth birthday. Her body had urges which she knew only the attentions of a man in her bed and the subsequent children could satisfy, and a year and a half was long enough to wait. She thought Castle was a much better place to be than Earth because here she could marry right now as opposed to having to wait till she was sixteen. She wasn’t interested in a man any where near her own age. She wished a man, not a boy embarking on manhood. Most of her women relatives were married to men at least ten years older than they. She’d met and married Slimlyspoon and had become pregnant within three lunes. She enjoyed every minute of her pregnancy and had been planning her second and subsequent pregnancies before she was aware she was pregnant for the first time.

Estelle’s body was a superbly designed baby producing machine and most of the midwifes were astonished at a first birthing that was over and done with within two hours. An hour later Estelle was up and having spent a somewhat dreamy half hour nursing Edwin was on her way to find master dyer Aspen to whom she was apprenticed with a view to discussing resuming crafting. Estelle had chosen the name Edwin which was a very old, but now rarely uest, Folk name and she had heard of it on Earth. Slimlyspoon liked the name because it was like his own in that it was not much uest.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00365010

ROSÉ OR LIQUID GOLD

ASTRINGENT RED AND FATTY GRIS

8th of Haldol Day 365

Musk had discussed at length with Gibb, Iola and Spoonbill what drinks to serve with the banquet, and he had been surprised by Iola’s suggestion that a choice of Rosé or Liquid Gold to drink before the meal be offered, both to be served in wine glasses. The concept of serving Joseph’s Liquid Gold ale in wine glasses was novel to him if not to Iola. However he conceded there was a logic to the choice of the two light but refreshing drinks being served cold in small quantities as appetisers. Spoonbill’s suggestion of ice cold, deadth dry cider rather than the usual eighty hundredths clear spirits, for the taste he’d explained, to be served with the fish was equally novel, but again unarguable. There was considerable discussion, but no argument, between Musk and Gibb as to exactly which robust red should be served with the roast gris, and eventually it had been decided to use an inexpensive, six year old vintage which was more astringent than most as gris was fatty. The rest of the drinks were really rather obvious choices and quickly agreed. Musk subsequently reflected that not only did Iola and Spoonbill have discriminating palates they were able to bethink themselfs beyond the conventions concerning food and drink, and as a result produce a better meal. He was looking forward to their future collaborations.

Iola’s Kitchen Banquet Menu – the Spring Supper
Rosé and Liquid Gold to drink before the meal
Mutton and Pinkhair(42) Soup with Mintt Rye Soup Rolls
Shark Fillets with Samphire, Sealeaf,(43) and Sorrel Sauce servt with Calt Dry Cider
Roast Gris with Saltt Green Beans, Redroots, Roastet Starchroots, Gravy, and Apple Sauce, with Robust Red
Dryt Bellfruit(44) and Ellflowers(45) Jellyt with Ocean Leaf(46) with Ellflower wine and Orkæke(47) Liqueur
Spicet Leaf with Brandy and Pennyroyals
(48)

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00369010

CYNTHIA

LAURA

12th of Haldol Day 369

Cynthia had spent the last two and a half lunes of her pregnancy travelling with her husband’s clan of sheepherds. ‘My clan too now,’ she’d reminded herself. As they’d slowly taken the sheep to the far grazing grounds and then swung away to return to the Keep in time to graze the Gatherfield down ready for Second Quarterday she’d ridden out at right angles to the sheep’s path with several others, usually youngsters, with her map making equipment on a pack pony. She mapped, and the others hunted, fished and foraged. She learnt a lot about a way of life she suspected had long since disappeared on Earth. There were those on Earth who claimed they could live that way, but the skills and knowledge possessed by even the very young in her clan was she considered astonishing, the more so because they considered it to be unremarkable.

Cynthia had discussed with all the older women of her clan what she should do when she reached eight lunes. Go back to the Keep or stay with the clan. The women all said more or less the same and it amounted to, “Depends whether you will to go back to the Keep. Winter and a few days in mid summer are more than enough for me. Too many Folk live there. I’ve birtht all mine on the move, excepting the one birtht during the winter. We’ve more than enough of us have had the midwife training and dozens more who’ve birtht tens of thousands of lambs over the years. Old Sannie can chirugically birth a lamb or a babe and Lobelia can sew up after her so fine it’s only just visible. Too, any number of us are good with herbs and we probably have fresher herbs to craft with than the herbals at the Keep have. You’d have no better care at the Keep. Go to the Keep if you want the company, but if that has no appeal, Daughter, stay with the clan.” It was still a surprise to Cynthia to be addressed as ‘Daughter’ by older women who were not of Merle’s family, but it was less surprising now than of yore. She had decided to stay with the clan.

Cynthia and Merle had decided on Laura for a girl and Laurence for a boy. Cynthia started birthing in the early eve when they had not long pitched the tents after their recent move. They usually stayed in one place for three to five nights. The older women of the clan took over in what Cynthia realised must have been a well practised sequence of events. With her two daughters, Warbler and Spearmint, attending, Cynthia birtht Laura in the middle of the night. Merle had been crafting else where with the dogs, but he was sent for and to Cynthia’s relief he arrived in plenty of time. She was tired but not exhausted and four days later when they packed up to move again Cynthia was ready and wondering what she had missed mapping.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00372010

MINT

ALLIA

15th of Haldol Day 372

Though thrilled to be pregnant, Mint’s almost flat bosom was little changed by the time she was ready for birthing her babe Allia. Allia was traditional Folk name uest by as many boys as girls which had been uest every two or three generations in her family since the Fell Year. Kevin had been happy to name his future child Allia, especially so when Mint had telt him that it would please Lord Yew her father.

Mint’s long held concerns regarding her lack of figure had been discarded when she met newfolk Kevin, for he loved her exactly as she was and their shared joy in making love provided her with the womanhood her figure did not. Despite the inner acceptance of herself her marriage provided she’d been concerned regarding her future ability to nurse her babe till the midwifes assured her that the size of a woman’s breasts was a riandet concerning her ability to successfully nurse her babes. Her worries were finally put to rest when Laiqqa the eighty-six year old retired Mistress healer telt her she’d successfully nursed all two dozen of her children and though her bosom had become a little larger when she’d been nursing she’d remained very small breasted her entire life. She’d also added with a chuckle, “It never maekt any difference to Davvi, for like all men he likes breasts. Big or small it’s a riandet to men. They enjoy whatever they have to hand, literally. You’ll be able to nurse your babe, Dear, so set your worries aside.”

Despite her slenderth Mint had a relatively short birthing for a first babe and Allia was birtht in the presence of her father, granddam and numerous aunties and cousines. Laiqqa had been correct and when all had gone leaving Mint nursing Allia watched by Kevin Mint smiled and said, “I will to take her to meet her grandfa nextday, for he will have deliberately stayt away so as to avoid me feeling crowdet. Though he will have willen to be be here.”

Kevin smiled in turn and said, “I’ll have spaech with Yew and ask him to visit whenever he has the time. Happy, Love?”

“Yes. This is perfect. I now have all that I’ve ever dreamt of since I was a little girl.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00377010

COMPASS, SÓLARSTEINN AND SEXTANT

I AM NOT A MIDWIFE

20th of Haldol Day 377

Lunes over when Madder had telt her Uncle Crossbill and his husband Barleycorn that she was pregnant they had been delighted for her and Robert. When she’d finally telt them she was expecting triplets they’d been astonished albeit somewhat concerned regards her weäl. Crossbill and Barleycorn had stood as parents to Madder after her mother had died. Madder had lost her father as a young child and her mother at the age of twelve. Before going to sea she’d spent a lot of time with her uncles at Ardol mine where they crafted. The two men had been looking forward to a child that would effectively be a grandchild and were delighted that there would be three of them to indulge.

~o~O~o~

Over the lunes of Madder’s pregnancy, she’d spent a long time discussing names with Robert, and Madder wished her children to be naemt in connection with their shared love: navigation.

“One advantage of doing that, Love,” she had explained, “is we only have to find three names, not six, as surely navigation names will be good for both girls and boys.” They considered all sorts: Latitude, Longitude, Zenith, Nadir, Equator, Meridian, Almanac, Elevation, Declination, Horizon and dozens of others, but eventually, settled on navigation instruments: Compass or Lodestone, Sextant or Astrolabe and Sunstone, though later Robert suggested Sólarsteinn, that being Icelandic, and the spelling of the earliest reference to a sunstone he was aware of. “Castle names are derivt from all of our experience and history,” Madder telt him. “Many, we do not know whence they came or what they mean as they arrivt with incomers who spake other languages and their origins have been loes. Much was loes at the time of the Fell Year. There are many that are the names of flowers, trees, animals, birds and fish. Some are the names of natural features or things of Castle herself: Rock, Mountain, Stream, River, Cwm or Rill to name but a few. The tools of crafts are uest extensively as names as are the crafts themselves. Names to do with time keeping or measuring are common. Virtues are more commonly uest as names by women than men, but not exclusively so. I know of no names that are uest exclusively by only one sex. I know men naemt after flowers and women naemt after minerals and tools. There are however, many names that are uest predominantly by one sex, but probably more that are uest more or less equally by both. Madder is a plant uest as a red dyestuff, the name is more popular with women than men, but probably over a third of Madders are men.”

“What of Robert? Who uses that here?” Robert asked.

“Mostly men. All the Roberts I know except one are men, but I know of a lot women naemt Roberta. There are names which are essentially the same name which have female and male forms, but most tend to be old names of uncertain origin. I have an Auntie Fulke and the female version of Fulk has an e on the end.”

“On Earth, that is a name, Fulk I mean, that goes back at least fifteen hundred years. It’s from Norman French I think.”

“I’m sure a lot of folk with the name would be interestet to hear that.” Madder had said thoughtfully.

~o~O~o~

Madder had enjoyed her pregnancy, and was overjoyed at the prospect of the family which she had despaired of ever being able to have. She was surprised at the satisfaction Robert’s assertive care to her gave her. He was not a domineering or authoritative man, but he was definitely a man and Madder loved being the recipient of his love and care. It wasn’t that she submitted to his dominance, rather that she enjoyed his protectivth. She knew she was his most treasured possession, more treasured than aught he had ever had in his entire life and their agreement the most significant event in it, and aught that they could do to ensure her weäl and that of the lifes she bore he wished to do. He was prepared to do aught himself to ensure her care and merely wished her to do the same. She was aware her pregnancy sometimes maekt her a little flaught,(49) and that the more insistent Robert became the more belike it was he was right.

Madder tired easily towards the end of her pregnancy and it was easier to acquiesce, safe and secure in the knowledge that Robert would deal with it, what ever it be. He never became short tempered with her no matter how flaught she was, and when she started birthing she was grateful for his calmth and love. Madder started birthing at two in the afternoon in the Keep infirmary, and she was aflait, of what she knew not, but the idea that her birthing would turn out ill was an idea she could not stop thinking of, and as her birthing progressed it deprived her of all reason. The midwifes Agrimony and Lilly could not settle her, and were worried her mental state was going to prolong her birthing and possibly create the unfortunate circumstances Madder was so aflait of. Agrimony explained her fears for Madder to Robert and said, “If you disinfect your hands and examine her prior to reassuring her all is proceeding satisfactorily, and we only take over as and when necessary bethink you that will calm her?”

“I don’t know, but why should it? She knows I’m not a midwife.”

“Agreen, but you are her man and she loves and trusts you, and we have to calm her for her sake and the babes’. We have little else to try other than the herbs which will give her a speedy birthing, but which will cause damage requiring stitching and may hap the deadth of your babes, for they are small and need no extra stress. Will you try it, Robert?”

Robert considered it as Lilly tried and failt to calm Madder. “You think it will work?”

“Yes, because she is so wrought we are achieving naught. If it works we shall be with you and advising you all the way to birthing if necessary.”

It was a reluctant Robert who nodded and said “I shall do what ever you tell me.”

Robert ministering to Madder did calm her, much to the relief of Agrimony and Lilly, who both considered that having the father play such an active rôle in birthing was some thing they should discuss with their colleagues with a view to making it available if not usual practice. Robert birtht his daughter Compass half an hour later. Lilly did the necessary with Compass, and Agrimony said, “You carry on, Robert, for I will not to change Madder’s calmth by changing aught else.” Thus it was that Robert birtht his three children over the next forty minutes. Sólarsteinn was birtht twenty-five minutes after his sister and Sextant fifteen minutes after her brother. The babes were all small at a feather over a weight and three-quarters, [3½ pounds] yet hale and loud. Agrimony sent for some food for Robert, and Madder shared his leaf and ate a mouthful of his sandwich before falling asleep. The midwifes put the babes to Madder’s breast in turn, and she did not awaken. “It’s the relief of the stress that is keeping her asleep, Robert,” Agrimony explained. “Physically she is hale, but her emotions are exhaustet. She will have recovert by this time nextday. Whilst times, you will have to put the babes to her breast. One of us will be within call and shew you what you need to do and how to do it. I suggest you finish your meal, have another mug of leaf and have some sleep whilst you can.” Agrimony pointed to the chair. “I’ll be back with your leaf in a minute.”

By nextday, Robert was a somewhat maladroit, but rapidly improving, changer of babe swaddling(50) on the tiny babes. He was worried for, despite her nursing of the babes several times, Madder had still not awoken, but he’d followed the midwifes’ instructions to the letter: “Don’t awaken her, Robert. If she awakes whilst nursing the babes, that will not cause any ill, but don’t awaken her else.”

It was just over four in the afternoon when Madder awoke. She smiled at Robert and then fear clouded her face. “My babes! Where are my babes?”

“They are here in their cribs, Love. We have two daughters and a son. All hale, all beautiful, and all probably ready to be fedd again.”

“I know it’s two girls and a boy,” Madder said a little nettled, “but what do you mean nurst again?”

“Agrimony shewt me how, and I have put them to your breast several times, Love, but you did not awaken. Your uncles were here a couple of hours ago and sayt they will return thiseve.” Madder found that hard to believe, but she sat up, and when Robert passed the babes to her the first thing she did was remove their swaddling and examine them closely. “I telt you, Love, they are fine.”

“I believt you, but I wisht to see for myself.” Having satisfied herself regards her babes, Madder nursed the girls and started to doze. Robert put Compass in her crib and Sólarsteinn to Madder’s breast before returning Sextant to her crib. Happy now regards the weäl of Madder as well as his babes, he was already considering feeding and changing routines for when they returned home. He returned Sólarsteinn to his crib, and in the time he had free before any awoke requiring changing he continued working on the notes of his book on the rape of Earth and the extinction of many of its lifeforms.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00378010

BRYONY

COBALT

21st of Haldol Day 378

Twenty-seven year old Bryony had agreement with her wife twenty-five year old Tress. Both their babes had been fathered by Gordon. Gordon was the man of Livette one of Tress’ sisters. Gordon had had to be bullied into sharing a bed with the pair by Livette, but had refused to bed them overnight. He spent several afternoons a tenner with them till to his relief both had announced their pregnancy. Gordon enjoyed his time with the women but he was devoted to Livette. Tress had admitted to Bryony that though being bedd by Gordon was pleasant, enjoyable even, she was more than happy to spend her nights with Bryony, for that was her nature. Bryony had agreed, but added that since they couldn’t make each other pregnant it would be wise to keep their options open with Gordon, for both willen more children. The two women had been happy for Gordon to father their children with no obligations on him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. It was a condition of bedding them, and he’d insisted on his right as the father to be present at their birthings. Gordon was the father of Tress’s two boys Whin and Plane and had been devastated when Lavender his daughter by Tress had dien from the fevers. Too, Gordon had always insisted on standing as father to Tunn. Tunn was the son of Balsam Tress’ previous wife who had been loes to the fevers and a cousin of Balsalm’s.

Bryony was due to birth may hap a lune before Tress. The pair threw names at each other for tenners and though Cobalt was unknown to the Folk they both liekt it and had decided it would be good for both a girl and a boy

Bryony’s son Cobalt was birtht in the late eve after a fifteen hour birthing. Bryony was exhausted, but the herbs had not been requiered. With Cobalt to her breast she was soon settled and her new female kin left saying they would see her again in a day or two. Gordon had become a little concerned towards the end and was much relieved when Cobalt finally arrived. As they left Bryony and Tress heard Livette teasing her husband. “You do make beautiful babes, Love, so when we reach home you can have some practice and give me one, for my sisters will have want of you again. Like me they want a family not just a babe or two.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00384010

JADE

TALLIA

27th of Haldol Day 384

Jade was now nineteen or nearly fifteen in Castle years and this pregnancy was much unlike her last. Now settled and secure in her relationship with her husband Phthalen and thriving in the care of her extended family she no longer was terrified they(51) would take her babe from her for she knew that it wasn’t allowed on Castle to take a mother’s babe from her. She enjoyed her pregnancy, and a much better knitter and needle woman than she’d been when she first arrived on Castle she’d recently been spending time with the elder women of her kin crochetting bootees, mittens and bonnets. She was hoping for a daughter, but admitted she’d love a little boy too.

Jade enjoyed her craft as a goat keeper crafting with Phthalen’s sister Yumalle and spent a lot of time thinking of names for her babe. Seriously limited regarding her cognitive abilities, thinking was an activity that she found difficult, so she kept repeating her thoughts as she’d oft forgotten what she’d already considered. Eventually, she’d settled on Billy if she had a son, for she crafted with billy goats too, but her choice of a name for a daughter took her a long time. Phthalen’s name was pronounced Tallon and she was delighted with herself when she thought of Tallia.

Tallia, like her elder brother Larov, arrived in the company of a veritable throng of female relatives and her dad. The throng now included five younger far cousines(52) who were watching a birth for the first time. Jade wasn’t intimidated by her family, for she considered they were there for her because they loved her. A big and pretty girl, Jade had no problems and birtht relatively quickly. She was happy for the younger girls to hold Tallia, under the watchful eyes and instruction of her elder aunties, though she was looking forward to being left alone with Phthalen and her children.

Once alone Phthalen askt, “Is birthing like this on Earth, Love? With your women kin around I mean?”

“It was a puzzled Jade who after thinking hard had replied, “I don’t know Phthalen, for I no longer remember much that happent to me before I married you, but don’t worry because I don’t. I’m really happy here with you, the babes and my family. Most of the time I forget that it hasn’t always been like this, and every lune I seem to forget more of what living on Earth was like. I’ll probably think I was birtht here before long, but I don’t mind, cos it’s much nicer here.”

Phthalen realised that Jade’s limitations were not all negative in consequences, for she’d long over telt him of her early life and he was grateful for her sake that she was able to forget it.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly
117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Herron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte

118 Iola, Adela, Knapps, Dabchick, Bruana, Beatrix, Bwlch, Burnet, Winefruit, Twailles, Saught, Spoonbill, Coaltit, Fulbert, Eudes, Coriander, Milligan, Hobby, Morgelle, Caoilté, Fritillary, Tuyere, Ælfgivu, Morwen, Bistort, Furnace, Turner, Froe, Otday, Otter, Luval, Molly, Ivy, Eorl, Geoffrey, Betony, Gosellyn, Smile, Phœbe, Cwm, Angharad, Vervain, Irena, Lilly, Falcon, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Charlotte, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Yew, Rowan, Spearmint, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Loosestrife, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Oliver, Claire, Gdana, Grebe, Ironwood Agrimony, Joseph, Gordon, Diana, Gander, Gibb, Lunelight, Pleasance, Bay, George, Jason, Briar, Barnet, Oak, Acorn, Knott, Ingot, Gage, Beth, Jed, Guy, Qvuine, Swegn, Mortice, Mike, Spruce, Linden, Will, Gale, Morris, Rock, Revæl, Rampion, Matilda, Silverherb, Wheatear, Brock, Bruin, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Edwin, Aspen, Musk, Joseph, Cynthia, Sannie, Lobelia, Merle, Laura, Warbler, Mint, Allia, Kevin, Laiqqa, Davvi, Madder, Robert, Crossbill, Barleycorn, Compass, Sextant, Sólarsteinn, Fulke, Bryony, Cobalt, Tress, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Jade, Phthalen, Tallia, Yumalle, Larov

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Kine, cattle. In this context beef.
2 Pink Salt, Potasium nitrate, KNO3. Nowadays, mixtures containing Sodium Nitrite, NaNO2, Sodium Nitrate, NaNO3 and Sodium Chloride, NaCl, tend to be used in most parts of the world to cure meat.
3 White hotroot, horseradish.
4 Redroots, carrots, often cooked and served with the green tops still on. Redroots may be any colour from black, perse (purple), red, sunset (orange), yellow and white, but most are red.
5 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to.
6 Sweetroot, parsnip. Pastinaca sativa.
7 Weight, a weight is about two pounds or a kilogram.
8 Loveapple, small hardy tomato.
9 Honeyroot, sugar beet.
10 Yellow sour, a hardy lemon like citrus fruit.
11 Red sour, a hardy Seville like citrus fruit. It is red like a blood orange. The word orange is unknown in Folk and the colour is described as ‘sunset’.
12 White wheat, a mill polished and almost tasteless pale variety grown because it will readily accept and extend any flavour.
13 Reedroot, tastes similar to ginger/galanga, bright yellow unique to Castle.
14 Coriander, refers to the leaf, cilantro, not the seed.
15 Fray, fenugreek.
16 Greenleaf, spring greens, spring cabbage or collards.
17 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
18 Gris, wild / ferral swine.
19 Minced, ground in the US.
20 Waxroots, waxy potatoes. Only floury potatoes are usually referred to as starchroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor strictly adhered to.
21 Mercyfruit, hot pepper or chile.
22 Dairy oil, a substitute for olive oil made from seed oil and a little clarified ewes’ butter.
23 Fireseed, the seed of an member of the umbelliferae family unique to Castle. The seed is used ground in food, it is too dangerous to use whole in food though it is so used in pickling spice mixes which are not eaten with the pickles. The vinegar renders the fireseed far less dangerous. Untreated fireseed is so hot an excess can blister the mouth before numbing the taste buds for many days, the blisters can take a lune to heal.
24 Clegs, horseflies, gadflies. Irritating flying bloodsucking insects. The term is also used to indicate someone who is usually a carping complainer.
25 Cream derived from sheep fleeces, lanolin wax cream.
26 Chirurgically, surgically.
27 Weäl, well being.
28 Rye fungus mould, ergot, Claviceps purpurea.
29 Honeyroot, sugarbeet. Honeyroot derivatives, essentially glucose.
30 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft. The default is the feminine, like most but not all Folk words. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
31 Apron, the nearest Earth equivalent is the Bavarian dirndl.
32 Leaçe, a right of access to the person of one’s acknowledged loved one.
33 Softth, literally softness, but also the word in Folk for a woman’s genitalia.
34 Vaucht, usually implied as a result of a misuse of a large imbalance of social standing or maturity, i.e. power. Nearest English equivalent is coercion. Vɐχt. A serious offence under the Way.
35 Still tailings, the last portion of a distillation. Oft somewhat unpalatable and potentially dangerous if used undiluted, though diluted and used as cooking brandy are tasty and safe.
36 Egg shells are ground to a powder and used as finings to clarify cloudy wines and spirits.
37 Mijom, a large oceanic pelagic fish which may reach two hundred and fifty weights. The flesh is like that of tuna and there is little waste on mijom. They are tasty and much sought after by the Folk. Mijom is pronounced me + hom, mi:hɒm.
38 Slaters, woodlice. Woodlice are Isopods of within the suborder Oniscidea, there are over 5,000 known species on Earth. There are less than that on Castle where they can reach two wiedths long and both a wiedth high and wide.
39 Slew, a close relative of pheasant. Slew are twice the size of pheasant. The cocks have characteristic dark green, bordering on black, metallic plumage and make a distinctive rattling sound. The silent hens have non-metallic, mottled, pale buff plumage enabling them blend in with the background even when not trying to be unobserved. Extinct on Earth.
40 Machiolation, machiolations are sections of overhanging stonework protecting defenders at the top of a castle wall. They enable material to be dropped on to attackers without defenders having to expose themselfs.
41 Ingeniator, origin of the word engineer (civil).
42 Pinkhair, a fungus known to some as lion’s mane fungus, Hericium erinaceus.
43 Sealeaf, also Ocean leaf, a generic term for all edible seaweed. Seaweed is a term reserved by the Folk for that collected for fire fuel, compost or other non culinary uses.
44 Bellfruit, sweet pepper, oft used as a pudding.
45 Ellflower, elder blossom.
46 Ocean leaf, also sealeaf, a generic term for all edible seaweed. Seaweed is a term reserved by the Folk for that collected for fire fuel, compost or other non culinary uses.
47 Orkæke, a berry spice with a unique taste, and unique to Castle.
48 Pennyroyals, a mint flavoured confection served with the spiced leaf usually after a formal dinner.
49 Flaught, silly in this context, but also foolish stupid.
50 Swaddling, term uest on Castle for nappies (diapers in US) and not for wrapping cloths as in its original meaning on Earth.
51 Far cousins, folk of oneʼs own generation in an extended family other than near cousins. The Folk rarely make a distinction between near and far cousins any more than they do between blood and adopted kin. Likewise those of one’s parents generation would be referred to as aunties and uncles and of one’s grandparents’ generation as Granny or Granddad, though there are terms specifically indicating maternal and paternal grandparents. These terms are also uest as terms of respect and oft applied to those of no relationship. The custom works downwards too to younger persons who may be referred to as daughter, son, niece, nephew, granddaughter or grandson. The latter are widely uest as terms of affection for younger persons. Near cousins, children of those oneʼs parents consider to be their siblings. Cousins. If referring to mixed sex cousins the male form of the word is the default. Likewise when referring to an unborn cousin. Generally the female form of a word is the default in Folk, cousin is an exception.

up
12 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos