Castle The Series - 0121 Thrift and Firefox, Sunwarmth

Printer-friendly version

WARNING CONTAINS GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF THE SEXUAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE SUFFERED BY A CHILD, AND HER SUBSEQUENT TORTURE AND KILLING OF HER ABUSERS

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00417030

FIREFOX AND THRIFT

THE BANQUET AND THE DANCE

1st of Chent Day 417

Jed and Warbler arrived at the Great hall early and after the stressful conversation of earlier in the day Jed decided he was going to have a glass of sixty hundredths blackthorn brandy, and he telt Warbler. “And if I like it I may just have another,” which maekt her giggle rather than laugh. “Would you like some thing to drink, Warbler? Your usual rosé or may hap a glass of red?”

“No. I’m giving it up, for I’m going to be carrying a babe under my heart betimes, so I’m practising for that. A glass of peach juice and I’ll have all I will for the now, but gratitude for asking. However, you look like you need a drink to recover from the shock of impending fatherhood, but heed my warning, Jed, I’ll make your life uncomfortable if you ever drink too much once you are suppoest to be bedding me with serious intent.”

“You have naught to be concernt over, Love, for though I enjoy a glass I can’t ever conceive, if you’ll excuse my use of such a significant word, of me enjoying a glass more than bedding you.”

Just then Firefox arrived holding hands with a tiny girl who lookt to be six or seven. “You look beautiful, Warbler. You’ve grown and it suits you.”

His eye twinkled as her deliberately spake with Warbler’s bosom and not her eyes, Though he had a very creditable leer on his face, Warbler knew him far to well to fall for his tricks and said “Stop it, Firefox. You know very well you have never been able to embarrass or trick me, and Jed doesn’t need any encouragement to behave as badly as you.” Warbler laughed and telt Thrift, “Given all the complaints I burdent him with when I was seeking a heartfriend regards the boys only having spaech with my bosom it was a fair if belaten riposte and I admit funny.” Warbler turned back to Firefox whilst Jed and Thrift were still laughing and said, “Now behave yourself, Firefox, and introduce us all properly before I hit you.”

“Thrift, the threatening young woman you behold is my oldest friend Warbler, or may hap I should say my friend of greatest whilth, whom for some reason that completely escapes me I have never managt to alienate or even offend since I was a babe and she a wean. The fine strapping hunter at her side with his arm berount her in that proprietary fashion is Jed. Like yourself he was newfolk. He is braver than I by far, for he is her heartfriend, something I never considert risking for a second. Warbler, Jed, this delightful and gorgeous creature is Thrift who is so completely lacking in sense as to have acceptet me as her heartfriend. Is that properly enough, Warbler?”

“Firefox, you are completely impossible.”

“I know, but you haven’t answert the question.”

“Yes, it was good enough, if just a whisker exaggeratet. But Jed and I are intendet now, so you are a bit abaft of events, though to be fair we only became intendet thisday. Are you here for a glass or just for spaech?”

“I’m here for a mug of Black Beauty, but Thrift likes the peach brandy, though I hasten to add that she only drinks one and likes it well diluten with peach juice.”

“Warbler, has he always been thus?” Thrift asked.

“As far back as I can remember, and he’s been in trouble for just as long, certainly before he could spaek or even walk. I can’t recall him ever seeking trouble, yet it does seem to expend a prodigious amount of effort to find him. However, his true gift is the ability to justify events and convincingly cast himself as a victim of ill chance, but he’s running out of folk who know no better than to believe him. Jed and I were only saying earlier that we hoept you would be able to keep him out of trouble.”

“Well, he doesn’t seem to get in quite as much trouble as he uest to, but I have had to do some fast talking from time to time to get him out of sticky situations that he could have avoidet. I know he’s clever enough to avoid trouble, so the only conclusion I have been able to arrive at is that he actually enjoys being in trouble.”

Jed asked, “Peach brandy with peach juice, Thrift? Or was Firefox trying to trick me again?”

“Yes. Please. He was telling the truth for once, but only half a finger of brandy in a tall glass maekt up with the juice please.” Jed nodded and said, “Find us a table, Firefox. I’ll fetch your drinks.”

When Jed returned the three were sitting at a nearby table, and the kitcheners(1) and their helpers were setting up tables ready for the banquet.

Warbler demanded, “Now Jed is here, Firefox, you can tell all of how you managt to persuade Thrift to consider becoming involvt with you.”

Firefox grinned and said, “I’ll let Thrift tell you, for it’s her tale to tell, and there may be parts of it she doesn’t wish any other than me to know.” The grin was no longer on his face and it was clear Thrift had had a bad past and he was upset by it. Thrift put her hand on his and he relaxed a little as she smiled at him.

Thrift smiled and said, “My past was, I suspect as bad as it could have been without me dying from it, but before I tell you of it I will you to know that the only reason I am here and have not given myself to Castle is Firefox. Not only has he enabelt me to live with my past he has enabelt me to consider it a riandet.(2) He is embarrasst by me spaeking of it, but it was his kindth and subsequent love that allowt me to live with myself long enough to come to love him. After falling in love with him all changt and I became a new person, a person with a future, and that past is now the past of some other and most of the time it doesn’t affect me in any way.”

“If you will not to have spaech of it, Thrift, there is no need, for neither Jed nor I will to pry.”

“No, it is a thing I wish you to know of, Warbler, for Firefox has sayt much of you and your friendship over the years. Despite his nightmares, your friendship givn him peace and enabelt him to have enough sleep at night to survive for those years The trouble he is oft in is a consequence of the loss of his parents and his nightmares which stem from that loss, both of which are troubling him less and less as time passes. I know it is my presence in his life that does that and I am grateful I can return at least in part the aid his presence in my life has given me.”

Thrift took a breath and began, “I have no memory of my parents. I never met any children or any adults other than my keeper and his customers. If he were my father he never admittet it. When young, I was not aware I was being abuest, for that was my entire existence. My only experience of aught else was as a result of irregular permission to watch television, usually after I had been hurt badly and my keeper couldn’t be bothert with me. When I arrivt here, I not only couldn’t remember my name I wasn’t even sure if I had ever been given one. I still have no idea. I taekt the name Thrift because Iris of the healers suggestet may hap I would like a new name for a new beginning. She telt me flower names were popular with girls here and there were many pretty ones to choose from. I seeën the swathes of thrift edging the dunes through the window in the infirmary and I liekt them, but I especially liekt one of them. It was growing on its own in a depression in the granite sill at the outer edge of the window embrasure. It struggelt in a strange environment, yet it thrivt. It gave me hope, for if it could thrive here, so may hap could I.

“Before Castle I was keept in a small unheatet cupboard. I was taken to a facility once a day and lockt in till my keeper remembert I was there, I was lockt in till some one willen to use me. Other than the facility, I was only taken out of my cupboard to be raept or hurt, for my keeper rentet me to all and any who could pay. If they could pay enough they could do what ever they wisht to me. Many gloatet in their torment of me, continually telling me of the hopelessth of my situation, and how I would never escape. They all telt me many times every day I was less than manure and fitt for nothing, yet they clearly considert me fitt for their abuse. I hatet them all with a passion, but I’d learnt to keep all emotion from shewing, even pain. They frequently telt me that when one of them finally wearyt of me he would rape me for an entire day before beating me to deadth. Though I knew it was my likely end unless I preventet it I knoewn their spaech was doen to intimidate me, to break me, but they never succeedet. I had only wearn out clothes, more like rags than clothes, to pull over myself to keep out some of the calt. I’d never had a blanket.

“I only ever left my keeper’s house with my hands and feet tien together behind my back. I’d be tien, carryt out to his car, that’s like a waggon, Warbler, and taken to special customers. That meant ones who were prepaert to pay a lot to abuse me especially badly. Usually they hurt me so badly I’d be unable to walk, they liekt beating the soles of my feet and oft they were reducet to a bloody pulp. Another favourite was to stamp on my hands and feet wearing heavy boots, to be allowt to hurt my hands like that was very expensive, for I could not then feed myself so I had to be fedd for a lune or more which was a tedious bore to my keeper. That’s when I was allowt to watch television. I bethink me he considert it to make up for lack of food. Some times I was burnt. Always they laught when they hurt me. I suffert from small biting things that maekt my skin itch and burn, but the burning was not as bad as the burns the men doet to me with cigarettes, things like burning sticks with red hot ends, Warbler. My mouth, anus and softth were raept many times every day, even when I was hurt, and they were always bleeding and paining. Some times the men would beat me extra fiercely if they were burnt by the small biting things when they raept me.

“But the worst hurters were women not men. I dreaden the women, for they liekt to bite me. I believt one would eventually bite all my fingers and toes off. Another liekt to bite my softth. She telt me many times that one day she was going to bite my bud, cloak and petals off to cook and eat, and I should be maekt to watch her whilst she doet. She said when I was all uest up they would make a snuff movie with me as the star, at the end of all such the star is killt, Warbler, usually in terrible pain. She sayt my keeper would make more tokens from whoever payt to kill me and from the sales of my screams than I ever maekt for him before. Such things could be selt for many tokens, over and over again, Warbler. She telt me yet again I was just rubbish and it was all I was fitt for. I was fedd left overs scraept off plates into a dirty dog bowl, not much and may hap every second day. I had dirty water to drink from another dog bowl, and I was usually hungry and thirsty.”

The grim look on Thrift’s face lightened a little as she paused for a few seconds.

“I knoewn a lot regards the folk I had dealings with, and I had deep layt plans to escape. I plannen on an awful lot of them dying immediately prior to my escape. I’d notet where all the things were that I would need to set a fire with. I knew where the rope was and I’d thievt and hidden a knife, in case I couldn’t access the kitchen, and I intendet to use them all. I plannen on my tormentors having deadths as grim as they’d maekt my life, and all the pain I’d suffered in my entire life they would all suffer in the unfortunately much shorter time I’d have at my disposal to manage their dieing.”

Warbler and Jed were beyond appalled, and Thrift’s smile as she related her tale was terrifying.

“Every now and again, my keeper would have a party with all his best customers invitet. They were the ones who payt the most and were my worst tormentors. As always I was lockt in my cupboard till the party startet when the door and all the windows would be lockt before I was draggt out to be raept and hurt by all of them in turn as the others suggestet further torments and cheert the abusers on. I was aflait of all the men but I was terrifyt of the women on party days. Thatday my keeper and his thirty or so customers had been raping and hurting me since ten in the forenoon till goen six in the afternoon. Those who’d become bort with me were sodomising each other, fucking and sodomising the four women, or engaging in oral sex. One of the women had a longth in her softth, one in her anus and third down her throat. I recall there were no dogs to be abuest there at that party. There were usually two, a dog and a bitch and they never survivt the experience, which is what would eventually have happent to me had I not preventet it.”

“As usual they’d all been drinking all day which initially maekt the abuse worse, but eventually they became too drinkn to do much else than drink more. On party days I had the run of the place including the kitchen, so I could thieve food to eat and drink clean water. I was helpful that day as I keept bringing them more bottles of spirits. When they’d all passt out from the drink. I hit each one over the head with the leg of a braeken table I’d findt a few lunes before and left where none would bother with it. I tien their ankles and wrists together behind their backs using the rope from the large bale my keeper uest to tie me up with when I was delivert to a special customer. I was an expert at immobilising folk using rope, for I’d had plenty of opportunities to study the art. I collectet several knifes from the kitchen and doetn’t bother sharpening them. I took my time cutting off their longths and males. It must have taken me several hours. I enjoyt it and it awakent them all, one by one. I savt the women till just before my keeper who I keept till last. I cut off their breasts and then their petals, one after the other, then their cloak and finally their bud which I had to dig a little with a knife for. They awakent too.

“I enjoyt the screams, and I knoewn none would hear them for my keeper had boastet oft that his building was sound proof so none would hear me and there were no buildings within several times the farth my screams would travel any hap. By the time I turnt to my keeper he’d watcht me deal with the women and ignore their sobs and pleas. I telt him he’d ignort my feelings all my life. I was collecting the debt. I was efficient as I slowly slicet into him. I cut his longth off a wiedth at a time. That chamber lookt like an abattoir by the time I’d finisht and the screams were the sweetest music I had ever hearet. I collectet the cooking oil from the kitchen and covert them all in it. I pourt the rest over the furniture and my keeper’s bed.”

Firefox had no expression at all on his face, and the only thing Warbler and Jed could deduce was that he had already heard the tale, probably many times. To Warbler’s horror, Jed was nodding in obvious approval of Thrift’s actions. Warbler wasn’t sure which sickened her most, Thift’s actions or Jed’s approval. She lookt like she willen to be sick, but she said nothing.

“I uest the table leg to pry two of the iron bars from the casement. I chose ones that rattled a bit and they soon came loose. The gap that maekt was wide enough for me to squeeze through. I tien the lose end of the bale of rope to the table and braekt the casement glass with the table leg before throwing the rest of the rope out. I’d no idea what time it was, but it had been dark outside for hours, so I bethink me it must have been in the middle of the night. I maekt sure all the big pieces of glass at the bottom of the casement were knockt out and threw a blanket over the remaining shards to protect myself. I was feeling excitet and satisfyt with my achievements. Before I climbt down the rope I sett the bed aflame and turnt the gas cooker and gas fire on. I ran a goodly distance to be sure the fire doetn’t harm me and watcht as the building catcht fire lighting up the night sky. It was a beautiful sight. I only hearet one scream, which was a pity. The building explodet. I suppoest the fire must have reacht the gas.

“Two fire engines arrivt and I hearet one of the firemen say none could have survivt the inferno. Then there were lots more explosions and another fireman sayt there must be cylinders of gas in the building and it was too dangerous to approach. The firemen and their engines movt further from the building. I had not been seen by them, so was free but I had no idea what to do next. A few minutes after that I realiest the fire I was staring at was not the remnants of a burning building but the bonfire on the Gatherfield. I was on Castle.”

Firefox said, “It took me a long time to convince Thrift that all she had done was well within the tenets of the Way. Her tormentors were clearly outside the protection of the Way and had given her the right to take their lifes. The manner of her retribution was the concern of none other than herself. She had the right and here her kith too would have had the right.”

As Thrift sipped her drink Jed explained to Warbler regards the details she didn’t understand, particularly concerning television, fire engines, cigarettes, gas cylinders and snuff movies. She had come to understand Thrift’s behaviour, and considered it was not for one who’d not been abused like Thift to make any sort of adjudgement. She finally reached understanding of “What goes around, comes around.” Which was some thing Jed had said several times concerning what he’d done to Otday.

Thrift continued,”You’d think life would become infinitely better immediately, but it doetn’t. I remember the bonfire that first night, but I’m not sure I remember what happent after that. I could be remembering what I was telt happent. I do remember waking up and to my surprise being dresst in clothes, being warm and the burning of the biting things being missing. I was telt that my hair had been shorn and my skin was yellow because the yellow stuff(3) I’d been washt with killt the biting things. I was telt my stomach could only manage small meals, but I’d never been given that much to eat before. The world I knoewn was bad, but it was familiar, and it had endet. I was overwhelmt by my lack of understanding of Castle, for there was so much to learn, but even if I’d remaint on Earth it would probably have been no different.

“I was almost ready to give up when I was adoptet by Mum and Dad. Dad had two children, but Mum was newfolk too. When she marryt Dad she adoptet Goosander and Harebell and when they adoptet me they adoptet Haw too. Haw was only four lunes old. Mum took herbs to be able to lactate so she could nurse him, and I watcht as she dry nurst him to help her milk come in. Molly nurst him after, for she was already nursing and had enough milk. Life with my new family helpt, for at least when I was bewildert they were kind, and I lovt watching Mum nurse Haw, but I was still living in a vacuum. I’d never met any children till Castle, and I findt relating to my syskonen difficult and to any else impossible. I’m telt I’m clever, but I’m not sure. I am sure I find adults easier to understand than children, for since I never had a childhood I behave and think like an adult, and it can be brutal.”

Firefox interrupted sounding sombre, “That without doubt is true which is why I’m not in as much trouble as of yore. It’s the next bit that aflaitens me badly.”

Thrift smiled at him and said, “I uest to believe you, but I don’t any more. You’re clever, will be a man of high status and will manage to overcome all and any obstacles life puts in your path. And that’s why I love you.” Thrift kissed Firefox and resumed her tale. “I spent a long time trying to be friends with children, but eventually came to the conclusion that a childhood is like a sunset: beautiful, but once gone it can never be seen again. There will be other childhoods and other sunsets, but every one is unique. So I gave up and acceptet that I was an adult and my life would be easier if I livt like one. I startet to wonder which aspects of adult life I willen most. I studyt the adults I knoewn best: Mum and Dad, and I analyset which things of their life I willen most. I’m female, so I studyt Mum carefully. She had a man, a babe and and a family, and they were what gave meaning to her life, for like me she’d been badly trett on Earth, but that’s her tale to tell, not mine. I realiest it was that simple. I willen a man, a babe and eventually a family, yet most I willen to nurse a babe. I’ve never been witless. I knoewn I’d been malnourisht all my life and that no matter how much food was available to me now I would never achieve the body I ought to have developt, but I knoewn I needet to develop as much of it as I could and to reach my full growth before I considert carrying a babe under my heart.

“I had spaech with the healers and the cooks and I follow a carefully plannen diet,” Thrift laught, “I can eat as much more than what is on my diet as I will, but I have to make sure I eat all the requiert foods to ensure I develop as well as I can. When serving food the kitcheners all make sure I do, they’re very kind. I knoewn then it would take time to achieve, not least because to have most of what I willen I needet the body of a woman grown, but there were things I could be doing to develop my life and become as adult as I could be as early as possible. I needet a man, or at least a boy who would become a man, and I needet one worth having. There are all too many available who would never be worth the trouble, good ones are rare and much sought after, but some few are easily overlookt by most girls. They are overlookt usually because those girls don’t understand that exceptional folk tend to behave exceptionally and that can easily be mistaken for defective character when it is actually quite the opposite. That decidet I startet to look berount me for the boys who behavt differently from most. I know all this sounds calculating and it was, but it was never callous, for I was prepaert to offer as much as I willen in return.

“The other thing I needet was a craft. Since I was never a child I had no childhood to lose, so I realiest it would be folly to wait till I was fourteen Castle years old. It was sensible to start learning a craft immediately. I willen a craft that would fully use my abilities and give me status. I spent a lune and a half analysing myself and considering all the crafts I could find. If there is one thing I am good at it is understanding folk. I understand well humanity at its worst and most folk are much easier to understand than the depravt that I knoewn on Earth, so at the far end of it I decidet to become a behaviourist. I have no interest in medicine, so I approacht Campion of the Master at arms staff rather than Gosellyn of the healers. I askt her for a piece of paper and wrieten on it so she could not see what I had written. I foldet it in half and placet it on the table between us and telt her it was for her to read when our conversation was at an end.

“After I telt her I wisht to be her apprentice, she was scarce prepaert to listen to me because of my age, so I challengt her to give me an hour of her time and all we would do would be talk. We would determine the topics of conversation for half an hour each and she could choose whether to go first or last. At the end we would discuss what we bethinkt us we had discovert of each other that the other was trying to keep hidden and then she could decide whether to accept me as her apprentice or dismiss me. I telt her I would not accept a defert apprenticeship. She either had to accept me or reject me permanently at the end of the hour for I would never go back. Too, she either acceptet the challenge now or it too was loes to her forever. I would chose a different craft and I would be loes to her for ever. Initially she refuest to accept the challenge, and I had startet to walk away when she callt me back. I shall not tell you what I discovert of her but suffice to say I won the challenge, and on the piece of paper I had written. ‘You will refuse. I shall walk away and you will call me back. I shall win. When you accept me I shall tell you enough of my life so you will understand why it was inevitable you would lose’. I have been her apprentice for a few lunes now.”

The kitcheners wished them to move, so they movt to a table already set up for dinner and continued listening to Thrift. “After all my thinking regards boys, I’d reducet the list of every available boy and man under the age of twenty at the Keep down to a handful of unlikely candidates and Firefox wasn’t on it. It wasn’t looking too good. I was convincet the theory was sound, but you can’t produce quality out of a manure heap by wishing. I wasn’t feeling too pleast with life—”

“I know that feeling,” interrupted Warbler with a wry laugh.

“I think a few of us do, Warbler, boys too,” responded Thrift before continuing. “I was having dinner in the refectory. I was at a table where a crowd of children were talking of Keep running(4) the following day. It was a long and complicatet run, and a lot of them were looking forward to it. I wasn’t taking part in the conversation, but I was going to take part in the run on my own. I doet a lot of Keep running then because I willen to learn my way berount the Keep, but I never ran them. I doetn’t wish to braek a leg, I don’t have a sweet tooth so the prizes meant nothing to me, I’m not in the least competitive and I prefert my own company.

“Firefox was sitting next to me and he askt if I was going to be running and I telt him no and that I would be walking it and why. ‘Are you,’ I askt. ‘No reason to,’ he replyt, explaining he probably knoewn the Keep better than the ingeniators.(5) ‘I spend a lot of time running away from trouble,’ he said with that grin of his. ‘You want me to go with you? We could be in the first ten even walking if we use my route,’ he askt. We came first having never braeken in to a run, though we uest a couple of short cuts through private quarters. We entert a chamber through one door, walkt past a bed on which a young couple were making love creatively and left via a door at the far end of the chamber. When we finisht, we were askt how we’d doen it so quickly. Firefox wouldn’t tell of his route, and I was still laughing an hour later.

“It’s no wonder he’s always in trouble. However, it wasn’t long before I’d realiest I’d been right in that the overlookt quality boys are overlookt because girls don’t understand that exceptional folk tend to behave exceptionally and that is mistaken for defective character when it is actually quite the opposite, and to my chagrin I’d been witless in that I’d been one of those girls, despite my understanding.” Thrift kissed Firefox and continued, “I’d found the boy I willen and had the craft I willen too. All I had to do was make him mine. At that point I had some thinking to do. Just what doet I wish from Firefox? What doet I wish to do? I know it doesn’t sound kind, but I can’t help it. It’s just the way life has maekt me think. I was ten in Earth years, small, and under developt. I’d not startet my lunetimes and my chest and cotte(6) were both as flat as roof slates. Apart from now being eleven, having grown a little in highth and gaint a little weighth not much has changt. I still have a flat cotte and neither breasts nor hips, though the soerth of my nipples probably indicates they are thinking regards growth, so though I’ve not experiencet menarche yet I bethink me I’m beginning puberty. However, I have bethinkt me like an adult from long afore I arrivt on Castle, and Campion treats me as an adult.

“I knoewn I could neither bear nor nurse a babe for years no matter how desperately I willen to, and my wish to do so is just as desperate now as then, but I’m not witless. It’s neither wise nor safe for both myself and any possible babe for several years. However, at the time, despite all the abuse I’d undergone, I willen Firefox and I willen him in my bed and in me. I knoewn all concerning sex, but nothing of making love, and, once having recovert physically, I was ready mentally and emotionally to remedy that lack. I had spaech of it with Mum, and she understandt and sayt she and Dad would support and love me no matter what and should it happen that a boy, any boy, spent the night in my bed neither would say aught of it.

“We never doet any more Keep running. Firefox and I just walkt berount the Keep. He shewt me the routes and I remembert them. We agreen afterwards neither of us were aware of when we first holdt hands. We both remember our first kiss, and yes it was special, but by some hap it was natural, not some thing to be maekt a fuss of. One warm day we went swimming with some girls and boys we know from dancing practice and the two of us showert together afterwards. We pleasuert(7) each other in the shower and for me it was just that, pleasure with no reminder of nor resemblance to any previous experience of mine. That night we maekt love in my bed and it was all that I’d hoept for and every thing I needet. We spend half our nights in my bed and the other half in Firefox’s, and his grandparents are as supportive as my parents. I’m taking the herbs that prevent pregnancy just to be safe. Firefox? You wish to add anything?”

“I don’t have the nightmares any more and I think most of the trouble I find myself in now is just the remnant of previous trouble. When Thrift telt me of the way she was trying to live, as an adult rather than as a child, and why, I wondert if I could do the same. When she explaint how she had chosen her craft and why, for the first time I considert what I would like to do as a craft. I’m good with my hands and tools, but I don’t have the temperament to do the same thing for a life time. I like animals but don’t want to spend a life with them. I went through the crafts and achievt naught. I’m clever enough to be a machiner, but I don’t want to be. I was at a loss, but I over hearet a conversation one day concerning the crafting of Qvuine which intriguet me. I maekt enquiries and discovert she estimates how long the the food reserves will last for a variety of winter conditions and is deeply involvt in all calculations necessary for the Council’s decision making. I bethinkt me it soundet interesting and it had high status, so I went to have spaech with her. Unlike Thrift’s experience with Campion, Qvuine was interestet in me apprenticing to her straightforth. I study mathematics with her and Axel and life’s much more enjoyable than it uest to be. I think it’s because I’m Qvuine’s apprentice that Milligan gave me charge of the water squad.”

“It makes no sense to me you two being heartfriends, Firefox,” Jed telt his friend. “You both have a craft and are sharing the intimacy of your beds. You should at the least be intendet, for then none can say aught of what ever you do. I’m not saying that’s why we became intendet, for it’s not, but you have to agree it’s a major benefit, and none could then say any thing unpleasant to your grandparents. I know they have always defendet you to the far end of it,(8) but it makes sense to give them as powerful a way as possible of telling any who want to cause you problems, and mercy there are enough of them, that they should tend to their own affairs. What bethink you, Love?”

Warbler took no time at all to reply, “Jed’s right, Firefox. I know your grandfather has no problem being unpleasant to any who takes issue with you just for the sake of it, but your gran becomes upset. She’s too good a person to allow that to happen to if you can avoid it. And besides think of the fun the pair of you will have being intimate in front of those who’ve maekt your life difficult for years knowing there’s not a thing they can say or do regards it without being in breach of the Way. The Way will give you the right, and put them where they have been trying to put you for years.”

Thift turned to Firefox and asked, “I will to tell your grandparents and you can tell Mum and Dad?”

“Agreen.”

“We’re with Jed’s family thiseve, but we’re eating graill(9) if there’s any available. Join us whether there is or no?” asked Warbler.

Firefox looked at Thrift who promptly put her fingers in his mouth(10) and smiled as she said, “What a wonderful idea, and graill is on the menu. When I seeën the kitcheners organising the ashets and cutlery I hearet them having spaech of it.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00417040

BENTFRUIT AND BANANAS

IS IT IN THE WATER?

1st of Chent Day 417

It was late afternoon, almost early eve, when a much relieved Veronica and Mast pulled up in front of the extensive set of out buildings. The small, thin, balding, middle aegt man who came out of a small building some eighty strides away from them was wearing a leather work apron and had massively developed shoulder and arm musculature. From the chimney of the building the wind blew smoke towards them that smelt of a forge or possibly a foundry. Coming from inside the building they could hear the characteristic ringing sound of a hammer hitting steel on an anvil. The man shouted, “Well come.” As he closed the distance twixt them he said, “We’ve been expecting you for days now. I don’t like the look of your nearside wheeler, Mast. I doubt you’ll be going any where for a lune, but we’ll see to them all for you. Well come again, Mast and…?”

“This is my wife, Veronica, and somewhere mixt with the load is Flint. He’s two lunes now. I’ve been easy with the team since lastday forenoon, Shag. The shoe was loose so I removt it, though I bethinkt me it was not the problem. Doubtless you’ll be able to refit it, for they were all newly shoen(11) before we left the Keep. I’ve uest redweed and tryt to take him out of the team and allow him to follow, but he wouldn’t move from his place.”

Shag smiled and said, “Scoter is birtht six days now, so no doubt Sabrina and Veronica will have much to say to each other. As for your wheeler not coöperating, that says more regards you as a waggoner than it does of him, Brother.”

By this time there were five men, two of them elderly, three women and a flock of children of all ages berount the waggon. Shag offert his hand to help Veronica down, and Mast passed Flint down to her and his crib to one of the elderly men saying, “Gratitude, Father Marjoram.”

A young woman wearing a leather apron like Shag’s said to Veronica, “I’m Sabrina, that one’s agreän.” Sabrina pointed to Shag. Sabrina was a slender, dark brunette with yellow eyes who was a good two heads taller than her man. Her upper body wasn’t as heavily muscled as her man’s, but she had the muscle development that came from having spent years using heavy hammers on red hot steel. As she looked at the monogrammed head and foot of the crib her eyes widened and she stated, “Of Peregrine’s crafting, of course.” Veronica smiled and nodded.

Sabrina turned to a pair of older girls, “Clarice, Lingon, come look at the crib, for it was craftet by Pergrine of whom you have been telt and then with care take it to Veronica and Mast’s chamber and find your husband to help you with their bags, please.”

“Yes, Mum,” the pair chorused examining the crib with interest.

One of the girls asked, “Shall we ask Auntie Gooseberry to make leaf and something to eat, Mum?”

“Please, Clarice.” Sabrina looked to Veronica, “Well come, Veronica. Come into the house and rest. You realise I’m only asking you because I wish to see Flint, so you can then admire Scoter.”

The two women smiled at each other, and Mast said, “Go in, Love. There’s enough help here, and if we men run out of energy there is a large enough gang of children here to do all our work for us.” The children, who had no intention of not helping, laught and started to unload the waggon. “It’s all for here, so take what you can,” Mast telt them, but then he added “Just a moment.” He reached for a small, tightly woven, flaxcloth(12) sack which he gave to Cove saying, “There’s five weights of dryt mercyfruit(13) in that for the seed you wisht. There’s a smaller sack some where with half a weight of fireseed(14) in it and another sack of dryt bellfruit(15) with seed some where too. I suggest you put this one safe out of the way of the little ones. I’ll find the fireseed.”

Cove grinned and said, “I agree.”

Cove passed the sack to an elder woman who’d held her hand out for it saying, “I’ll deal with it, Cove.”

“Gratitude, Mum.”

Veronica looked at Sabrina’s slim figure and asked, “How did you manage to regain your figure so quickly? I’m still not back to where I was, and it’s not for lack of exercise.”

Sabrina laught and replied, “It must have taken me half a year with Boarherb. This time I barely lookt pregnant the day before birthing.” The smile left her face, “I was so small we were aflait there was something wrong with my babe.” Sabrina smiled again, “But Scoter was perfect and was two and a half weights. [5 pounds, 2½Kg] Lorna is a midwife, and Horehound is as good as one, and both agreen I was carrying little waters.” Sabrina laught, “I wouldn’t mind all my pregnancies to be like that. It was easy. I was only a little inconveniencet by my almost none existent bump, and I was birthing for less than two hours.” She looked at, and indicated her huge bosom, incongruous on her slender figure, “My bosom is far more inconvenient now than my bump ever was, and an apron(16) is all I can wear because naught else provides the support I need when crafting, for I bounce every time the hammer hits the steel.”

Veronica, whose bosom was even larger than Sabrina’s, smiled and said, “I’m the same regards the bouncing every time the waggon goes over the slightest irregularity of the trail. However, somewhere on the waggon I have some samples of new garments that provide better support maekt by the seamstresses that we can have spaech of some time. I’ve ordert some for me, but whilst times to prevent hurt on the waggon I have to use a belt as well as the laces neath my breasts and I have the shoulder straps crosst at the back to keep the bib in place providing support, but both the men in my life appreciate it, so it’s worth it.” The two women went in, laughing at Veronica’s equivalence of men and babes regards their interest in breasts.

Mast unhitched the team, and the men removed the tack from the horses and led them to a fenced paddock before taking the tack to an outbuilding.

Shag looked at Dalla’s hoof and said, “It’s inflaemt, probably an infection which will need draining. Redweed is just what it needs, Mast. I’ll have Sabrina lance it if necessary, she’s better at that than I, and he won’t even be aware of it if she does it, but I was right, he’s not going any where for a lune which will give us time to enjoy all of each others’ gossip.” The men finished unloading the waggon. Most of the load, including the bananas, went into the house, but some including the tools and spare ploughshare, were taken into the large nearby workshop. “What’s this?” asked Shag indicating a complicated arrangement of fixed and movable pulleys, ropes and chains.

“It’s callt a stump puller. It is a variable high ratio block and tackle designt by George who is newfolk and has startet a new craft refert to as the machiners. They are maekt by the machiners and their apprentices a dozen at a time. They were originally intendet to aid the waggoners in trail clearance and the growers to clear ground for ploughing, but as soon as it was realiest what they could do they were immediately ordert by the ship crafters and almost as rapidly by many other crafters for a wide variety of purpose. This one is a present from Veronica for all of you at Sunwarmth. It is the latest design and has a choice of four different final ratios. We’ll have spaech of it and much more later.”

When the waggon was finally empty, they pushed it back into an out building, and Cove, who had carried the bananas into the kitchen, asked, “How doet you know you could eat the bentfruit,(17) Mast?”

Mast laught, and recognising from Cove’s description the fruit he had cut for Veronica, he replied, “I doetn’t. Veronica recogniest them as something she callt bananas. How doet you know they weren’t poisonous?”

“We now go to the valley, may hap once a lune, to hunt gris.(18) There are a lot there, especially when the fruit are ripe and falling. We tryt tiny amounts of what the gris ate to start with, and if it were tasty and had no ill effects we keept trying a bit more. The bentfruit are the first fruit to ripen and available for three-quarters of the year, but believe me you really don’t wish to try an unripe one because they stick the sides of your mouth together and remove every trace of moisture. They won’t do you any harm, but it is beyond me how something so pleasant when ripe can be so disgusting when not. There are a lot of fruit that grow in the valley that you can eat, and we grow everything we have findt there here; though some are just pretty plants and many have not fruitt yet. They don’t grow quite as quickly as in the valley, but they grow hale, some haler than in the valley. We believe that’s because the water here is better. It looks like we’ll have a ceël(19) harvest for you later in the year. May hap not a full load, but they grow sweeter, more fragrant and larger here than at the Keep, and we shall be able to make your load up with other fruit too. Enough! We can have spaech of that later. Come inside and have a seat that isn’t moving under you.”

The men went inside to be greeted by a young woman in early pregnancy, who had introduced herself to Veronica as Gowwan, and asked, “A mug of leaf or a glass of beer? I can recommend Leofric’s beer, not strong nor too bitter, even the children appreciate it, and very refreshing in the heat and the dust. There’re saltt gris sandwiches to go with it till Lorna has the flatcakes cookt.”

All the men and most of the children chose beer, but Veronica said, “I’ll have leaf please. I don’t want Flint acquiring bad habits at the breast, he’s a whole lifetime in front of him with Mast for that.”

Silverbean laught and said, It won’t take him any where near that long, Dear, and when he’s as old as my men he’ll still believe he can drink what he could when he was twenty.”

Marjoram and Scorza without a trace of shame laught, and Scorza said, “Silverbean is a wonderful wife to both of us, and we love her dearly, but she doesn’t understand, no matter how hard we try to explain. We know we can’t drink what we could, but we enjoy trying, and it’s only she that has a problem when we feel pity for ourselfs the day after.”

The women had expressions of disapproval on their faces. However, Silverbean, the men and the children laught, and Flittermouse, a young woman of fifteen who fully filled her generously siezt apron, said, “Our granddads like a drink, and they don’t drink too much oft. We,” she was indicating the other children, “love them, and they are helping us to grow up and deal with our parents, so if they wish a drink, even if our mums disapprove, one of us can always find something for them.”

Scorza hugged her and said, “I hope when you are a mum and a grandmum you remember what you just sayt, Love. Is there a mouthful more brandy available?”

There was an enormous amount of laughter at that, and Bloom said, “There is no dealing with the young and the old together. They conspire to overturn all semblance of order. The tragedy is I know I startet just the same, and I shall probably end so too.”

The laughter only stopped when Horehound, heavily pregnant, came in from the kitchen and asked, “Doet you notice many ripe bentfruit in the valley, Veronica? Because the children love them, and I wondert if it would be worth our while going to hunt and to harvest some.”

Veronica replied, “Most of the trees I saw had several hands as ripe as the one we brought. There would be at least a waggon load. Give this one to the children, they are welcome to it.” She looked to Mast who nodded his agreement.

Horehound said, “A hand is a good name, but that’s a lot of fingers.” There was an appreciative chuckle at that. She continued, “There are not many green ones on it to be given to the hens. Gratitude, Veronica.”

“You can cook the green ones, Horehound. There were varieties whence I came that never softent nor ripent callt plantains, they could only be eaten cookt. I tryt them when I went to where they were grown, but the unripent ones we brought can be cookt too.

“Plantains are a different plant to us. It’s a small broad-leaft plant with seed spikes we collect and dry for the hens. What is the best way to cook the green bentfruit?” Gowwan asked.

“I’ve hearet of them fryt, baekt, and cookt in a fire in their skins too, but I suppose you could cook them any way you like.” Veronica looked berount her and asked, “Is everyone here pregnant? Is it in the water or the air? Because I’d like a little girl next.”

They all laught and Lorna replied, “As far as we are aware none of the men are pregnant,” which caused a lot of laughter.

Mast said rather tartly, “I pleast to hear it.”

Lorna continued with a huge smile, “You could be right regards the water or the air here. I’ve wisht to be pregnant for nearly fiveteen years and this is my first. It’s what we do. We raise crops and livestock and rear children. Horehound is at least eight lunes, I’m six, Gowwan is three or four, Gooseberry has misst a lunetime and is hoping she is having aother, Bloom is working on the situation, Sabrina has just birtht Scoter, Clarice and Lingon are both doing their best and some of our other elder daughters are considering babes.”Veronica noticed a half dozen young women in their middle or late teens, including Flittermouse, smiling, and a number of similarly aegt boys blushing.

“Lorna wouldn’t tell you, but I feel like I doet years ago when pregnant though I’m not sure since I’ve no lunetimes to miss,” added Silverbean with a twinkling eye. “At sixty-seven I won’t be the oldest woman ever to carry a babe neath her heart I’m sure, but I certainly will be mongst them should I so do, and with two agreäns it’s a possibility.”

Lorna continued, “We will to create a settlement here, and as Mast is aware, you would both be well come to join us as family, even if you spent little time here because of your crafting as waggoners.” The others all smiled and nodded in agreement, and Veronica, who had never considered herself to belong any where, even mongst her own family on Earth she had regarded herself as an outsider, was touched. She now believed in an attempt to belong she had created her previous character: Lady Veronica Elizabeth Margaret Alice McAlland, more of a modern McAlland than any other, complete with an extra proportion of the arrogance and disdain of lesser humans that that entailed.

She felt emotional and decided to discuss the matter with Mast later. She understood the Castle concept of family, kin and clan, she was after all of Highland stock, and she would love to have family, kin and clan in this remote place, as remote as her family’s traditional clan lands. She didn’t know any of the holders closely, but knew she liekt them all. Without doubt if she joined them she would have differences with individuals from time to time, but that was true of all life, and she knew she could live with that. Foreby, she knew raising crops and livestock and rearing children would make her happy, and being a member of a group based so far from the Keep would give her a certain notoriety in the eyes of the Folk that she rather relished. Lorna, assisted by two of the boys, cooked flatcakes,(20) which they ate with bananas and soft ewes milk cheese, said, “We’ll eat a meal later, but that will keep us going till we do.”

Veronica was concerned for Dalla and went with Mast, Sabrina and Shag to examine his hoof. Sabrina washed it with a soft brush and some warm solution of redweed she maekt up in a pail and, after drying it with some swaddling, gently pressed the sole which was swollen on both sides of the frog.(21) Dalla flinched, but no more. “He’s gentle, Sabrina, and that must have hurt him,” Veronica said worriedly.

“Yes, I realise that. The sole is infectet, and it needs draining in four places I can see and treating with redweed. I’ll do it in a few minutes after I sharpen and prepare a blade, it will only take two or three seconds. Is there aught he likes to eat that will take his mind off what I’m doing, Veronica?”

“He loves pennyroyals(22) and I have some for them as rewards. Shall I go for some?”

Sabrina nodded, and Veronica left to return a few moments later with a handful of the treats from the barrel that was part of the waggon’s equipment, which it was obvious Dalla could smell. Sabrina opened her wrap of equipment, taekt a sharp bone handled knife, dipped it in the redweed pail, and uest it to lightly scrape Dalla’s sole. “That will enable me to locate the infection sites more accurately,” she telt Veronica. Sabrina washed Dalla’s sole again with redweed only she didn’t dry it this time, but allowed him to put it down on an old, worn but freshly washed shirt. “There are five sites that need draining, not four, Veronica.” She taekt a candle and striker from her wrap and lit the candle. She removed a wafer thin steel blade and stropped it on the palm of her hand before passing it through the candle flame and washing it in some liquid from a small container in the wrap, “Concentratet redweed,” she said. She waited a few seconds, shook the blade and lifted Dalla’s hoof. “Give him a pennyroyal, Veronica, only one, but make him interestet in another.”

As Veronica gave the big horse the pennyroyal, Sabrina pressed the blade into his sole. Shag had been correct, by the time Dalla had taken and eaten the pennyroyal and was looking for another, Sabrina had lanced his sole in all five places and he had not been aware of it. The pus oozed out of the infection sites and the pressure relief had visibly relaxed the swellings. “Give him some more, Veronica. The redweed will sting a bit, but I suspect it will not be as hurtful as the pressure was. He’ll probably not bother too much if you take some notice of him.”

Dalla liekt pennyroyals, and he liekt Veronica making a fuss of him. He flinched a little at the redweed, but when Veronica said, “Dalla, be good, please,” he allowed Sabrina to immerse his hoof in the pail of redweed with no more fuss.

Sabrina picked up the shirt and said, “If we wash and bathe his hoof four times a day in redweed for eight days that should be the end of the matter, Veronica, but it will be at least a tenner and a half before he is shoen and the same again before you can work him. He trusts you doesn’t he?”

Mast laught and said, “He knows Veronica is the one who can open the barrel of pennyroyals. He doesn’t just trust her, like them all he loves her.” He saw Veronica’s face, and said more seriously, “Yes, like the rest of the team, he trusts Veronica, but Dalla is her favourite, and he knows it. Unbelike as it may seem, given his size, he is the one she rides with Flint for choice.” His voice changed and he asked, “What bethink you caust it, Sabrina? Five infection sites are a worry to me.”

Sabrina finished flaming and dipping the knife and the blade in the concentrated redweed, washed the brush in the redweed pail, and after she repacked and reknotted her wrap, replied, “From the spacings and the deepth, I opine hurthorn to be the most likely cause because the punctures would not be visible, and the thorns are not long enough to reach the live tissue in the frog. Sharp rock would leave evidence as would shells, and would be unbelike to cause five separate infection sites, on both sides of the frog. The sites were not deep enough to be caust by an infection from within, which I believe is why you are asking?” Mast, nodded. He had been bothered that sometime in the near future he would have to kill Dalla if he were continually subject to hoof ail, and that he knew would have a profound effect on Veronica. Sabrina continued, “When we go to the valley to hunt or forage, we now burn any hurthorn we come across. You must have seen them?”

Veronica nodded and said, “We wondert regards the burnt shrubs.” Hurthorn was a shrub that was closely covered in quarter wiedth long spines that always festered when they scratched, even the leafs had spikes on their edges. It’s nature was something that virtually all the Folk who came across it only learnt through bitter experience. Tightly, it was pronounced as her followed by thorn, but many in dark jest pronounced it as hurt followed by thorn. Fortunately hurthorn wasn’t common farther north, but if Dalla had stepped on even a recently fallen dead piece it would explain matters. “I’ll give the others some pennyroyals too, Mast, or they’ll become upset. They can obviously smell them and know Dalla has had some.”

That night in bed, Veronica asked Mast, “Do you really believe that Dalla will be hale and has not an inheritet or long lasting problem, for that was what you were worryt regards wasn’t it?”

Mast happy to reply honestly said, “Yes I do, and you are right, for that was my concern. We passt a few living hurthorn shrubs to the sides of the trail, and though I tryt to be careful, I believe Sabrina to have the right of it, but there is naught certain in life. If I believe it to be the best for him I shall kill Dalla myself, but I honestly believe he shall be restort to full haelth.”

Veronica, who knew Mast would never lie to her, was relieved to hear that. She was even more relieved to hear the terrible truth that Mast would never allow Dalla or any of his horses to suffer. Putting that aside, she would face what she had to as and when necessary, she asked, “Do they really mean it that we could be members of their family, Love?”

“Whether I like it or not, and I do, I am already family. You are my wife, so are family by marriage, but they would like it much if you decidet to be family by choice. They are good folk who have all been hurt, but who all overcame their hurt by creating a new family and a new way of life. I suspect that is why they all wish children. Children are the future. Would you like to be a member of their family?”

Veronica didn’t hesitate a second, “Yes I would. I had a large family before Castle, but I never belongt any where, and I would love to have a large family where I felt I belongt. I love your mum and dad and your sisters and their husbands and children, but we spend so little time at the Keep. The idea of having a lot of family in two places that we would visit oft is comforting. More importantly, I would love Flint to have aunties, uncles and cousins in two places.” Veronica thought and hesitated before continuing, “We don’t have to charge anything for trips here do we, Mast?”

Mast laught, and replied, “Our family are obligatet to cover our costs wherever we go as we are obligatet to contribute from the profits. Any hap, crafting at aught should be undertaken to have a good life not to accumulate tokens, so no we don’t have to charge aught. Also, if we wish to take the waggon any where where we would rather not take Flint, or our future children, they would be willingly and lovingly lookt after here. If you will a home, Veronica, these folk are as good a kinsfolk as you could have any where.”

“I want kin, Mast, and I like these folk. The nearest we have to a home is the waggon which I enjoy, but it would be good if we had somewhere to call home even if we weren’t there much. I know you don’t consider the Keep to be home, and I recall you saying when we met you may be baest here in the future. How would you feel regards home being here?”

“I telt you, I am already family, and it would please me greatly if you were too. Yes, I like the idea of this being home.”

“May I ask them at braekfast?”

“Of course.”

“Which of the boys are Clarice and Lingon marryt to, Mast?”

“Shag telt me both the girls have had agreement with their younger brother, Bryn, for over a year now. Shag is their father.”

“I know how these things can work, but that does seem a little unusual even for the Folk. Is it approven by the entire family?”

“Shag’s children always had been close, and when they loes their mum they became closer in their grief. They uest to have nightmares of losing their dad too, and have shaert a bed for comfort ever since. None, least of all Sabrina and Shag, consider it to be any else’s concern. According to the Way, Bryn is still a child, but he is a mature young man who with his wifes makes a significant contribution to the holding. He usually crafts with Leofric as a forester. Shag sayt the three are desperate for children and he and Sabrina are looking forward to grandchildren. Now concerning children, Flint’s sister.”

2nd Chent Day 418

The holders had been delighted that Veronica wished to join them as family and the couple wished to have Sunwarmth as their home. Hugh suggested as soon as they finished fencing the new paddocks they have a celebration meal. All approven, though Shag suggested since the whole day was to be a celebration all meals should be special. He volunteered to peel roots, much to the shock of the others. Gooseberry explained to Veronica, “We all know Shag braeks out in calt sweats thinking of entering the kitchen.”

Shag blushed but said, “I’m better at hunting than cooking.”

7th Chent Day 423

Gooseberry who did most of the cooking, usually assisted by a horde of children, started preparing two days in advance. On the chosen day, the seventh of Chent, they had an enjoyable day starting with a pre-braekfast swim. The spring that provided water to the house fed a stream which had been dammed to provide the irrigation water for their crops. The dammed water was also uest by the holding’s ducks as well as wild waterfowl of various species. Where the stream fell over the six foot drop of the dam it had created a pool which they uest for swimming. The water was bracing rather than cold. Lunch was a light and leisurely affair followed by tending to livestock and the few other things that had to be done. They ate the eve meal outside on the large stoep in the warmth of the early eve sun. The main course was venison steak with a selection of vegetables, some of which were unknown to the holders to grow other than in or berount the valley. “What is the heatth in the sauce from?” Veronica asked.

Gooseberry apologised, “My sorrow, but it’s the best we can do to substitute for mercyfruit, and we haven’t processt the mercyfruit you bringen yet. It’s a small berry that we seeën the hens eating. We tryt it, found it tasty and call it hotseed. It grows on the vines that are all berount you. They make a wonderful sunscreen, but the seeds are nowhere near as hot as fireseed or even mercyfruit. That’s why we askt for some dryt mercyfruit and the fireseed.”

Veronica looked berount her and at the vines that Gooseberry had referred to. They were covering the trellis berount the veranda and were covered in strigs of berries ranging in colour from dark green to bright green with hints of yellow and red.

“I’m sure it’s pepper, and the berries are what were callt peppercorns whence I came. It’s a very valuable spice, and I’m sure the Keep cooks will want some. How do you use it, Gooseberry?

“If I wish some when it’s available fresh I just pick it and squash the berries, but they become hotter as they ripen and dry, so I need to use may hap twice or thrice as much as later in the year. But for over winter use we harvest a sack full of the ripe berries which are bright red and leave them spread out on cloth on the stoep to dry. Dryt they keep a long time, but they become hard and black, and they have to be grindt for use.” Gooseberry reached behind herself and plucked a strig. “Here try one, but just one they’re hot.”

Veronica taekt a berry that was turning red, crushed it in between her teeth and sucked it. “Yes, that’s pepper. I’d like to dry a considerable quantity. I am sure we could profitably trade them for you. Very profitably.”

Shag smiled and said, “It looks like we are already benefiting from our new family, but eat, Veronica. The hotseed are good, but they won’t keep your meal from becoming calt.”

~o~O~o~

Veronica and Mast spent a lune at the holding during which time Veronica learnt more of cooking and holding which she enjoyed. The holding’s sheep, including Blackface the dominant flock ram, were so tame they could be a nuisance, but as Gowwan said, “Better having them chase us for food than having to chase after them. They’ll even follow a pail they know is empty. When we first came here we just keept them encloest in a paddock, but eventually Mum suggestet it would be sensible to put fences berount the house and vegetable areas as well to keep them out in case they escaept.”

The meat kine, descended from those brought from the Keep area, were almost as tame, and Mountain, the colossal herd bull whom Veronica was initially frightened of, was a placid and gentle beast who liekt his forehead scratched. Yoit was a wild looking cow of huge proportions heavily in calf to Mountain with a very gentle nature. Shag had explained, “She’s an aurochs. Hugh kilt her dam when hunting. We were desperate for meat, and he’d bethinkt himself the cow was a calfless two year old. When we seeën her we realiest she must have had a calf of a few days old at most. We seekt the calf and bringen her back with us. Siggi is a good natuert cow and will mother aught. She had a calf of similar age and allowt Yoit to suckle her too.” Badth, the dairy bull, was in contrast to Mountain small and extremely dangerous, and Shag telt Veronica, “We uest to call him Tiny, but as he grew older to keep reminding ourselfs of his nature we naemt him Badth. It’s in the nature of the breed for Bulls to be bad tempert just as it’s in the nature of Mountain’s breed for bulls to be placid, but Badth is worse than most and as soon as we have a good replacement he will be meat.”

“It must have been difficult to bring him here when you first came, or was he young then?”

“Very young! His dam was in calf with him, and needless to say we have not raist any of her bull calfs entire(23) since. Like Mountain and Blackface he was birtht here. We bringen six meat cows and six dairy cows, all in calf, and a dozen ewes in lamb with us, which is why it taekt us so long to travel here. The cows only movt slowly, but we had the time. The sheep and the geese were far more difficult to travel with, especially Cronk.” Veronica knew Cronk, the gander, was unpredictably bad tempered and sycophantic, one minute ingratiating himself begging for titbits and the next hissing and flapping his wings with the intention of biting. He was however, aflait of sticks. Shag said, “Cronk has given us all good reason to make him aflait of sticks.”

Veronica remembered that Mast had suggested if she wished a good laugh to ask someone to tell her what happened when the holders brought the geese through the valley. so she asked, “Mast sayt to ask of bringing the geese through the valley. What happent?”

Shag laught. “It taekt us three days to travel the valley, mostly because of Cronk, but the sheep doetn’t help. He doetn’t like the valley and wouldn’t enter it. We tryt going without him to make him follow, but he wouldn’t, so we had to return for him. We built a cage trap, baitt it with grain and after half a day we had him in the cage, put it on the waggon and considert our problems were over. As soon as we reacht the first bend he maekt such a noise the rest of the geese, sheep and kine wouldn’t follow. We covert the cage so there was no daylight inside and he quietent. Then all we had to do was go back for the kine, sheep and the geese. By then the geese were aflait of the spouters,(24) so we built cages for them all, catcht them with the gloam and some grain and put them on the wagon too. The kine and sheep were reluctant to follow, but eventually they doet which cost us another day to arrive back at the first bend where we campt. We taekt the waggon through the spouters mid-forenoon the next day, but only two of the kine followt, though once we had the first sheep running in the right direction they all followt and went through.

“We left the waggon and went back leaving Serena to mind the little ones. All the rest of us, including the older children with the dogs, drove the kine through the spouters, but it taekt three trips for us to complete it which taekt the rest of the day and most of the following day too. We had to let the geese out, for they were in danger of hurting themselfs in the cages, but they taekt off, and it was nearly dark when they returnt to be fed. We campt this side of the spouters. Yet again, we considert our problems were over, but far from it. It taekt us six days to arrive here because the geese would only let us travel half a day before taking off again. We were exhaustet when we arrivt, and it had taekt us four tenners in all to make the journey. The geese have never been a problem since, and Cronk is now far more bothert by his sons’ attentions to his flock than he is concerning us. May hap he’s mellowing a bit, but somehow I doubt it. However, Gowwan has to decide betimes whether Cronk or one of his sons graces the table. Since his sons are as large as he and even Snappy is far better natuert, I suspect I know what she will decide.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly
117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Herron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte
118 Iola, Adela, Knapps, Dabchick, Bruana, Beatrix, Bwlch, Burnet, Winefruit, Twailles, Saught, Spoonbill, Coaltit, Fulbert, Eudes, Coriander, Milligan, Hobby, Morgelle, Caoilté, Fritillary, Tuyere, Ælfgivu, Morwen, Bistort, Furnace, Turner, Froe, Otday, Otter, Luval, Molly, Ivy, Eorl, Geoffrey, Betony, Gosellyn, Smile, Phœbe, Cwm, Angharad, Vervain, Irena, Lilly, Falcon, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Charlotte, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Yew, Rowan, Spearmint, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Loosestrife, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Oliver, Claire, Gdana, Grebe, Ironwood Agrimony, Joseph, Gordon, Diana, Gander, Gibb, Lunelight, Pleasance, Bay, George, Jason, Briar, Barnet, Oak, Acorn, Knott, Ingot, Gage, Beth, Jed, Guy, Qvuine, Swegn, Mortice, Mike, Spruce, Linden, Will, Gale, Morris, Rock, Revæl, Rampion, Matilda, Silverherb, Wheatear, Brock, Bruin, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Edwin, Aspen, Musk, Joseph, Cynthia, Sannie, Lobelia, Merle, Laura, Warbler, Mint, Allia, Kevin, Laiqqa, Davvi, Madder, Robert, Crossbill, Barleycorn, Compass, Sextant, Sólarsteinn, Fulke, Bryony, Cobalt, Tress, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Jade, Phthalen, Tallia, Yumalle, Larov
119 Joseph, Briar, Sago, Swegn, Tress, Bryony, Gordon, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Cobalt, Sppleblossom, Lotus, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Bloom, Weälth, Coppicer, Lacy, Silverbean, Marjoram, Scorza, Gooseberry, Cove, Gowwan, Hugh, Earnest, Campion, Aaron, Skale, Xera, Horehound, Joaquim, Lorna, Leofric, Sabrina, Shag, Vinnek, Ruby
120 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Beth, Greensward, Will, Leech, Livette, Gloria, Peregr Janet, Ninija, Fiona, Isabel, Lilac,Ash, Beech, Jasmine, Rebecca, Francis, Yellowstone, Buttercup, Gage, Opal, Mist, Odo, Milligan, Thomas, Will, Gareth, Yew, Rowan, Basil, HobbySagon, Campion, Joseph, Iola, Alwydd, Spearmint, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Bowman, Gibb, Coaltit, Gordon, Douglas, Dabchick, Pleasance, Fergal, Åse, Leveret, Durance, Wayland, Laura, Stonecrop, Aaron, Nigel

121 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Iris, Otday, Gooseander, Harebell, Haw, Molly, Campion, Qvuine, Axel, Milligan, Veronica, Mast, Shag, Flint, Scoter, Sabrina, Marjoram, Peregrine, Clarice, Lingon, Cove, Gooseberry, Boarherb, Lorna, Horehound, George, Gowwan, Bloom, Leofric, Silverbean, Scorza, Flittermouse, Bryn, Hugh

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
2 Riandet, an matter of no consequence.
3 Yellow stuff, insecticide derived from what the Folk refer to as Strewing Daisy: Tanacetum cinerariifolium. A daisy like flower with white petals and a yellow centre that contains pyrethrins. The yellow co7lour is due to a harmless and inactive substance added to make the insecticide instantly recognisable and so safe.
4 Keep running, a competition held every day of the year, other than Quarterdays, by the Master at arms staff. It has a starting place and a finishing place and those who complete the course fastest are rewarded with confectionery. The intent is for children to learn their way berount the labyrinthine routes in the Keep.
5 Ingeniators, members of the craft that maintains the Keep.
6 Cotte, the Folk word for a female bottom is a cotte. The word derives from apricot and the male form is cot. Apricot fruit oft have a defined cleft like a pair of buttocks. The terms cotte and cot are every day respectable words uest by all. They may also be uest to indicate a single buttock. A woman has a left cotte, a right cotte and a cotte that includes both. She does not have a pair of cottes. The words cotte and cot are singular and plural. Like most but not all Folk words the default is the feminine. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
7 Pleasuert, pleasuert, only uest in a sexual context in Folk, as in to provide sexual pleasure.
8 To the far end of it, Folk expression meaning totally, or under all and any circumstances.
9 Graill, a giant isopod that lives in the sea and uses the tideline possibly to breed between two and four nights a year. They can reach three feet long and forty weights. The plural of graill is graill.
10 Putting one’s fingers in one’s dinner partner’s mouth for them to suck the the sauce off after having hand fed her or him a piece of graill is a traditional part of eating graill. For a more complete explanation of this see ‘Castle The Series - 0003 Introduction’ (Ancient Words – Of Graill) & ‘Castle The Series - 0057 Erin, Josephine, Michelle’.
11 Shoen, shod.
12 Flaxcloth, linen.
13 Mercyfruit, hot pepper, chile.
14 Fireseed, the seed of an member of the umbelliferae family unique to Castle. The seed is used ground in food, it is to dangerous to use whole in food though it is so used in pickling spice mixes which are not eaten. Fireseed is so hot an excess can blister the mouth before numbing the taste buds for many days, the blisters can take a lune to heal.
15 Bellfruit, sweet pepper, oft used as a pudding.
16 Apron, a direct descendant of a Bavarian Dirndl. An apron consists of a laced bodice atop a full skirt. It is worn with a low-cut blouse with short puff sleeves, which often are threaded with ribands, and an apron. It is normal and frequent wear for women of the Folk.
17 Bentfruit, bananas.
18 Gris, feral / wild swine
19 Ceël, pronounced sea + ell, (si:ɛl), a small, tasty pear like fruit oft dried and powdered as a vanilla like flavouring.
20 Flatcakes, pancakes a thicker version of a crêpe.
21 The frog of a horse’s hoof is a triangular shaped structure in the centre of the hoof, the point faces forward. It acts as a shock absorber and when the horse’s weight is put on it it compresses and aids to pump blood back up the leg. It covers about a quarter of the hoof and is surrounded by the sole, which in turn is surrounded by the walls, the equivalent of human finger nails to which the shoe is nailed.
22 Pennyroyals, a mint flavoured confection much used by those who craft with horses as a reward or treat.
23 Entire, uncastrated.
24 Spouters, geysers.

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos