Castle The Series - 0122 Peppercorns and Anvils

Printer-friendly version

WARNING CONTAINS DESCRIPTIONS OF MURDER AND EXECUTIONS BY BEHEADING

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00418020

A POPULAR CRAFT FOR YOUNGSTERS

MANAGER IOLA AND A VERY GOOD YEAR TO COME

2nd of Chent Day 418

Will was relating to the Council the latest events of his office. “Gage has formally begun his apprenticeship with Mari and Ford as a hunter, but I, and a lot of others of the office too, am happy he has decidet to remain kennel Master. The kennel squad has become a popular activity for youngsters, both girls and boys, some of who are as young as five and wish something to do. The squad has fourty-one full time members now and a lot more who help from time to time, though not all of the fourty-one wish to join the office as an adult craft. Gage’s breeding plans for the dogs and ferrets have been very successful resulting in an even greater food contribution from the squad. Milligan and Basil tell me it is now very rare for there to be any evidence of vermin in the Keep food stores or the bedding and flaxcloth(1) stores, though I know Gage is focussing on Gudrun’s fodder and bedding stores, for he says there are still too many vermin there. Several of the female birds have layt and are raising young. We are looking forward to an excellent year, and Fergal’s falconry learning afternoons for youngsters are now being attendet by twenty-odd adults too.”

Milligan spake in very matter of fact tones when he informed the Council, “Lastday I promotet Iola to be my fifth manager and as a result her office is now responsible directly to me. I willen her to have the status of a manager when she represented the kitchens on the platform with Joseph.” There were several pairs of eyebrows raised at Milligan’s action, but since Rowan and Joseph obviously approved and equally obviously considered Iola more than able to manage the responsibility none said anything.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00419010

FEROCIOUS SPIRITS

SVETLANA & STANISLAV

3rd of Chent Day 419

Llyllabette started birthing long before expected and there was no question of her going to the midwifes at the Keep. Cloudberry had birtht more babes than she could recall and was philosophical. Despite her age, thirty-nine, Llyllabette was only birthing for eight hours and from Cloudberry’s point of view had no problems. Yoomarrianna was frantic and completely impossible to deal with, however Sledge and the other men at the holding soon had him under control with the aid of a couple of bottles of the ferocious spirits that Hubert stilled from anything he could lay his hands on to brew.

Llyllabette birtht Svetlana followed by Stanislav half an hour later. The babes were named after her granddam’s parents because they too had been incomers to the area where they farmed and reared their family. The area Llyllabette and Yoomarrianna were birtht in and whence they had departed to Castle thus avoiding, by at most a few seconds, Yoomarrianna’s death by firing squad.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00424010

REURNING LUNECYCLES

NEW NAME STRUCTURES

8th of Chent Day 424

Kathleen had a rapid and trouble free fifth birthing. After the birth of Reef, her first on Castle, Kathleen’s lunecycles had returned despite her age, forty-nine, and she’d soon become pregnant again. Kathleen chose the name Desmond because there had been many men in her family with that name over the generations, and Raymond liekt it too for it had been his father’s name. Many folk thought because some older Folk words had des at the front, meaning from, that Desmond meant from Mond, or Raymond’s child. This started a fashion for names, both girls’ and boys’, beginning Des which were derived from either parent’s name.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00433010

GABRIËLLA

MORE OF THE CHANGT

17th of Chent day 433

To the relief of the midwifes, Nigel was a very calm father to be and when Dabchick maekt it clear she intended to craft to the end and sobeit that meant she birtht in the kitchens then so be it he just smiled and said it was up to her. They discussed names and Dabchick wishing a name of Nigel’s choosing was delighted when he’d suggested Gabriëlla should she be a girl. It was a name unknown to the Folk, but Nigel liekt it, and though she would have accepted almost anything Dabchick liekt it too. Gabriëlla was not birtht in the kitchens, but at home, though it had been close.

Jumping ahead a little, by the time Gabriëlla was three months old Nigel suspected Gabriëlla was significantly changt, and it was clear to all before she turned a year old.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00438010

THE DEADTH OF NUULLA

THE CHANGT TAKE ULTIMATE ISSUE

22nd of Chent Day 438

Campion and Qvuine had considered that there were far more bigots and in particular far more diehard bigots than did Swegn and the other members of the changt. The changt had estimated the diehards to number twixt two score and fifty. Swegn had had no need to provoke the bigots to action. Forty-eight of them attacked Nuulla, a young member of the changt who had recently joined the huntsmen as a full time guardian. That eve Nuulla had gone ahead of the rest of her squad to set up the equipment they needed for their practice session in the armoury. The other eleven of her squad were to follow after they had tidied up at the huntsmen’s place. Nuulla was spotted and the bigots who’d seen her sent word to the rest and they converged on her blocking all possible ways of escape. They attacked, but before they killed her she’d killed five of them. Nuulla’s squad hearing the altercation ran to the scene, the six changt leading the way. By the time the other squad members arrived, the six unarmed changt had killed thirty-eight armed with forearm long work knifes and the remaining five had fled. The six maekt sure the rest of the changt were informed of events and the identities of the five, and taekt Nuulla to the infirmary to await the events of her passing.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00446010

THE PASSING OF OF THE BIGOTS

COUNCIL MEETING DARROW

1st of Darrow Day 446

The matter of the murder of Nuulla had been left to the last item on the agenda for discussion. Gareth opened the discussion with a brief statement of the facts. “As I’m sure most of us are aware, Nuulla was a fourteen year old member of the changt who had recently joint Will’s office as a guardian. She was a member of a squad of twelve younger guardians, seven changt and five not, all under the leadership of Juniper. On the twenty-second of Chent, Nuulla and her squad had been riding and whilst the rest attendet to matters in the stables she goent on alone to the armoury to prepare the equipment for their combat practice. We have sincely discovert that the diehard bigots had been spending their eves walking berount the Keep seeking solitary members of the changt. She was attackt by fourty-eight armt with work knifes and unarmt she killt five before the rest overwhelmt her. Her squad hearet the noise of the fight and ran to the scene. The changt arrivt first and by the time the others arrivt they’d killt thirty-eight and the other five had fleen.(2) Nuulla was laid in the infirmary till the following day when she was taken by her kin to their holding for buryal.

“The changt members of the squad identifyt the fleen to the rest of their kith and from that moment on they were as good as dead. Five headless corpses were discovert the following forenoon, all in different parts of the Keep. It was known who the five were, but they had been hackt into unidentifiable dogmeat. The heads were never findt. Swegn?”

“The fleen had been trackt down by children who were a little enthusiastic in their retribution. The children had considert it meet that the fleen were beheadet with work knifes. I’m telt even with a heavy work knife it’s not as easy for a child to behead someone as it would seem, and several blows are necessary. The remaining fleen were maekt to watch as they awaitet their turn. The children were maskt and they had roundet up some of the lesser bigots who had turnt their backs on violence towards us to watch. It was the children’s intent that the entire Folk, especially the remaining lessor bigots, would be maekt aware of the incident, beheadings and all, so as to avoid any more deaths like that of Nuulla. They doetn’t tell me what they had done with the heads, and I doetn’t ask. The identities of the children are not going to be discloest. The rumours that Beth and her brothers in Will’s kennel squad were involvt in the beheadings we propose to ignore. The kennel squad are kith to many of the changt children, so the rumours were to be expectet, but denial will only serve to confirm what folk only suspect at present, so shrugging the shoulders and saying ‘I suppose it’s possible’ seems to best the best way to proceed.”

There was a murmur of agreement as to the latter. The Way maekt the execution of Nuulla’s murderers legal and tight, though it said nothing as to how execution should be carried out. A deadth sentence was a deadth sentence.

Gareth resumed, “Will dealt with the disposal of the carcases. Will?”

“Like Swegn I realiest that saying nothing was the best thing to do regards Beth and her brothers. Knowing them well, especially Beth, I doubt they were not involvt, for Nuulla was a friend of Beth’s and they would have taken her murder badly. Doubtless, Gage will have telt Gale the truth of it, but I have no intention of asking her. Whatever she knows she will have recordet for our archives, though probably under the office’s seal only to be opent at some future date. It’s convenient that Gale and Gage are as close, and as close moutht, as they are, for she being my successor and Gage hers means all information remains available to me, but I don’t have to be aware of aught I would elsewise have to deny. Officially I know naught because there is naught to know.

“But in response to Gareth, yes, I gave orders that the remains of the forty-eight were to be threwn into the Arder(3) for Castle to reclaim. Some remonstratet with that decision, so I pointet out Nuulla was a guardian and as such under my care and was kith to us all. Leech sayt he’d gladly contend with any who bethinkt herself it was an ill fitting end for the murderer’s of a young woman barely out of her girlhood. Murderers who’d proven their cowardice and unfitth to be countet mongst the Folk by attacking an unarmt young woman at odds of fourty-eight to one with work knifes. He maintaint their actions had repudiatet any protection providet to the Folk by the Way. I believe over a hundred of my crafters agreen with him and sayt when his knife arm became tiren of the matter they would stand in his shoes for a while and wield his knife for him till he recovert. The complaints ceast straightforth and the matter is now at an end unless Thomas wills to take it further?”

“No. It’s at an end regards my office too, Will. According to Aaron, the Way says who ever killt the fleen savt me the trouble of writing the deadth warrants,” Thomas replied.

Most present looked for Aaron but he was not at the meeting and Nigel nodded in agreement with Thomas and said, “We discusst the matter and in terms of the Way the matter has been resolvt tightly.”

“That’s uest more than the breath those murdering scum warrant, and if Beth and her brothers aidet in hacking their heads off it goes to provide more evidence they are responsible, reliable and true Folk. I just hope it doetn’t take them too much effort to sharpen their work knifes,” said Pilot in emotionless tones. “Yew close the meeting, and if you fetch those brandy bottles I’ll deal with the glasses.”

Yew Lord of Castle smiled as his wife’s father had clearly put his arrow in its eye(4) and said, “Aye. This meeting is cloest. Peach or apple, Dad?”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00446020

AS USEFUL AS A WHEELBARROW WITH A MISSING WHEEL

JANICE’S (38) BABES ASHLAR AND SLATE

1st of Darrow Day 446

Whitethorn had been called to birth Janice’s babes as she was finishing her eve meal. She taekt her husband Marble with her as they had agreed a lune before. He had instructions to take Kæn away for a drink. Kæn was impossible when it came to Janice’s pregnancy, which Janice put down to the effect his eyesight had had on his life.

She had telt Whitethorn lunes since, “He loves me more than he loves himself, and he can’t help the way he behaves. He’s a good husband who will be a good father. I can manage him whilst I’m pregnant, but I’ll ask his mother to do something when the babes are due.”

Whitethorn in response had said, “That won’t work, Janice. Trust me. You need a man to deal with him, for no woman will be able to.”

Janice had said, “Kæn has two brothers and two of his sisters are married, but the only male relative I have met is Berg, his sister Linden’s man, but he’s a forester and away a lot.”

Whitethorn had said, “My man, Marble, would be willing to help, but he’s a huge man with an almost unlimitet capacity for drink. Some of his friends are changt, and he can match them drink for drink. Unfortunately, though he is a healer he’s incapable of realising other smaller men can’t take what he can. In friendship, he would have Kæn more drinkn than he has ever been in his life, and, as Marble would say, he would become as useful as a wheelbarrow with a missing wheel, but I have no other suggestions, so may hap you should make enquiries of his mother’s sons?”

Janice had smiled and replied, “May hap under the circumstances a good drink would do Kæn good. It would certainly make our lives easier.”

Whitethorn had smiled and said, “I shall so arrange it.”

~o~O~o~

By the time Kæn had sobered his twin sons, Ashlar and Slate, had been nursed any number of times by their mum and were ready to meet their father. Kæn, still a little fragile, couldn’t understand where two days had gone, but he was beginning to be as good a father as Janice had said he would be.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00448010

EXPLOSIVE FIREBALLS

WE GIRLS ALL APPRECIATE A GOOD STALLION

3rd of Darrow Day 448

Lorna had birtht Horehound’s little girl, Banana, four days before Veronica and Mast left the holding. Horehound and Joaquim had not managed to find an appropriate name for a girl, and the name that Veronica had supplied for what they had referred to as bentfruit they rather liekt, especially as their daughter would be the first to use the name on Castle.

~o~O~o~

“Mast, could you order an anvil of greater weighth when next back at the Keep? We’re using a underweighn one of less than a hundred and fifty weights [300 pounds, 150Kg] at the moment. It was all we could bring, for the waggon was already grievously over loadet. It’s heavy enough for most of our work at the present, but when some of the heavier tools and equipment need repair, as they will eventually, we shall have serious problems. We’ll may hap manage, we’ll have to, but the repairs will not be of a quality to make us proud of our crafting.”

“What weighth will you, Sabrina?”

“At least twice that. What bethink you, Love?” Sabrina looked to Shag.

“Better thrice if you can load it, Mast.”

Mast shouted to Veronica to join them and explained the conversation so far. “Waggonable, Love?”

“Yes, but we’d need to reinforce the bed if we carryt a concentratet load yielding that pressure even over the rear axle. A stride and a half square steel sheet with a thickth of two to three wiedths over the axle would provide the strongth and be worth carrying rather than reinforcing the bed with wood, for Sabrina and Shag could always use the steel, but given what we will to bring back home it’s no problem other than meaning we can collect less from the valley due to the weighth.”

Sabrina suggested, “Why not use Bloom’s waggon? Or take them both. The bed on hers is five wiedths thick [2½ inches, 6cm] every where and reinforcet to over double that neath the bed over the rear axles. You drive your team and waggon, Veronica, and Mast can drive the unfamiliar waggon and team. It’s an eight horse waggon, but if you use ten for the load with the anvil then you can bring a full load back from the valley. What bethink you, Veronica? Mast?”

Veronica looked thoughtful before replying, “Am I experiencet enough to do that, Mast?”

“I wouldn’t recommend you waggonen(5) on your own yet, Love, but I shall be there, and you are easily experiencet enough under those conditions, and forget not Dalla will do what ever you ask of him. Let’s have spaech with Bloom and the other regards it, shall we?” Bloom’s view was simple: it was far better they uest both waggons and maekt them earn their cost than hers stood idle at home gathering moss and lichen, and they may as well use both all the time starting now. However, Mast decided to use eight horses till the anvil was ready when he’d acquire another pair for their return. “If needs must I’ll hire or borrow a pair, but I’d rather buy them.”

~o~O~o~

Veronica and Mast taking Bloom’s three axled waggon too meant they could take a double load back to the Keep. They also taekt two geldings trained as team leaders by Bloom for sale. Cove, Hugh and Shag with Dlupé, Seela, Bullnut and Rutlan rode to the valley to help them load the waggons and to pass the spouters with the horses. Coppicer drove Bloom’s waggon through the valley because he and the horses were familiar with each other. His horse for the return was tied to the back of the waggon with the two geldings. On their way to the valley, they stopped five times to burn groupings of hurthorn.(6) Hugh explained, “We always take a slightly different route to the valley seeking hurthorn. Like thisday, the ground is usually wet and the undergrowth lush, so we rarely need to damp it or shovel it away to prevent the fire spreading. Hurthorn is evergreen, and the entire hurthorn shrub, like holly leaf, is covert with an inflammable waxy substance that helps to prevent water loss during the late autumn and winter, for then the wind can be fierce and it is always dry.” He grinned, “The wax makes them burn like naught else I’ve ever seen.”

“There’ll be dead, dry leafs in the brash under the shrubs,” explained Cove, as Hugh and Shag donned heavy leather gloves, piled what dry matter they could find under the trees and set it aflame. “As you see we use the brash as kindling. The only good thing of hurthorn is the rains of late winter and spring wet the ground and rot the thorns, which are small and thin as those on raspberry canes, off the branches and leafs inside the year, but despite that the shrubs are dangerous. When I was a child, I hearet of a grown man thrown off a horse into a hurthorn brake who dien of it.” The others had already taken the horses some distance from the hurthorn. Hugh had been correct regards the waxy substance. Once the brash caught, the wax evaporated almost instantly, and the shrubs exploded into flame with a roaring wheezing sound to produce a short-lived fireball, which left the blackened and charred skeletons surrounded by circles of ash that Veronica and Mast had seen on their way to the holding smoking in the breeze with a smell Hugh said was characteristic of burnt hurthorn. He thought it due to the waxy substance. Veronica couldn’t help but consider potential uses for the wax on the dangerous shrubs. She knew Mast would say it just wouldn’t be worth the risk, but she wrote of her thoughts in the trip journal, so she didn’t forget the idea. It may be of significance, even if only in many years’ time.

They maekt camp at the valley mouth, and the following day they filled the available space in Mast’s waggon and loaded Bloom’s with the fruit they knew would keep best, including two hundred weights of fresh peppercorn strigs, to go with the two hundred weights of dried ones, and half a waggon of bananas. They also sowed seeds of mercyfruit,(7) bellfruit(8) and fireseed(9) at eight different sites. After their last meal together, till they met later in the year, the holders bad them a safe journey and rode home with a hand of bananas each tied to the back of their saddles.

~o~O~o~

Veronica and Mast planned on trading what fruit they could on the way back and delivering the rest to the Keep. They were planning on waggoning for another three lunes before returning to the Keep to load up and return home. They already had a list of the Sunwarmth holders’ requirements including some plants and seeds, a breeding pair of milch goats, a pair of in calf milch kine that had been bulled by a better tempered bull than Badth and a quantity of steel for Sabrina and Shag to make tools and horse shoes with, and there was the possibility that by the time they returned to the Keep for the last time before returning home there would be a message from Sunwarmth requesting some thing else.

Veronica wished to order a spinning wheel from Peregrine to take home on their last trip of the year for Horehound and Gowwan. Veronica and Mast intended to return to Sunwarmth by travelling a very indirect route which would enable them to service and trade at eleven holdings on their way. They would stay a few days at home before taking a double load of fruit and vegetables on almost the quickest trail back to the Keep, only calling at four holdings which were nigh on the trail. After a night at the Keep they would return home fully laden, including the goats and the kine, via three holdings all of which were on the most direct trail to home, for the winter. “On our final return home this year, we’ll just fill the waggons with anything we can, Mast, especially anything we can trade on our first trip of next spring,” Veronica said. “Leaving a bit of space for fruit and vegetables. There will be some still available then won’t there?”

“Lots, Love, but remember there will be the space from the feed the teams will have eaten by then, and we’ll probably manage one more trip to the valley with both waggons for fruit, vegetables and meat too before winter. Winter is later, shorter and milder at Sunwarmth than at the Keep, and Shag telt me it never freezes in the valley. There will probably be a dozen and a half of us making the journey.”

“I wonder if gourds would grow in the valley? What do you think?”

“It has to worth trying, Love. Ask the growers for some seed and sow them on our return. They’ll tell you how deep and where exactly like they doet with the other seeds.”

Veronica nodded, but changed the subject to ask, “When will we know if Shine is in foal, Mast?”

“I don’t know because she’s never had one. Yoïn shews really early as does Mellische, but Foxy only shews during the last lune and a half. I don’t know regards Longmane because we’ve only had her three lunes. Every mare is different, but if effort has aught to do with it Shine should be. She was almost as enthusiastic as you, Love.”

Veronica smiled because Shine, the nearside leader, had presented herself to Force, the holding’s stallion, at every opportunity. “That’s only fair if she she wants a foal as badly as I want a little girl, and besides she was enjoying herself. We girls all appreciate a quality stallion.” The pair laught and continued discussing their plans concerning over wintering at Sunwarmth.

Longmane, the offside rear centre(10) was a big heavy mare they had bought with Wildeye, a similarly heavy gelding who pulled in the nearside rear centre position. Longmane had obviously foaled, but they knew naught of her foaling history, or of her foal or possibly foals. However, because of her size, Shag was much interested in breeding her to Force for the prospect of big, high quality offspring. Mellische, the offside fore centre they knew was probably five lunes in foal, and they had hopes that Foxy, the nearside fore centre, was too because she had bitten Force when he had sniffed her to test her receptivth to his advances.

Longmane and Wildeye had been the wheelers in a six horse team that pulled small but heavily loaded waggons of hæmatite iron ore at Red Stone Bluffs, and neither were really heavy enough for the task, but they were too heavy for any other position in a conventional six horse team, which was why Mast had been able to buy them for a reasonable cost. Though nowhere near as heavy as his wheelers, they out weighed his centres by a considerable amount, and from his point of view had been perfect as rear centres in an eight horse team. Because they were already uest to being poled up, he had decided to use a four horse pole as routine rather than just for extra downhill braking. Torrent had introduced him to the four horse pole, and the team of eight was so easy to drive he wondered why he had not done it before. After discussing matters, Mast and Veronica had decided that there would be good trade to be had even if they were the only waggoners that uest an eight as their normal practice. They also realised that waggoning together with sixteen horses gave them a flexibility none else would have, for sixteen horses could pull any waggon out of any situation no matter how heavily loaded.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00449010

YOU ARE MY MIDWIFE

IRENA’S (33) BABE CHIFFCHAFF

4th of Darrow Day 449

Lunes before Irena was due to birth her babe she had discussed the possible complications due to her back with all the senior healers, midwifes and herbals and many of the juniors too. Recently she had insisted Lilly was going to be her midwife, and despite her age Lilly would be in sole charge of her birthing. “She’s my apprentice, and I have every confidence in her ability. How many have you birtht now, Lilly?” The first remark was addresst to Gosellyn who was chairing the meeting and the second to Lilly.

“Five so far as midwife in charge,” replied Lilly, “and seventeen as assistant midwife under instruction.”

Irena continued, “Someone has to have her sixth, seventh and so on, and I want it to be me.”

~o~O~o~

The day had arrived, Irena was birthing, and Mistress chirurgeon Cwm with Master healer Pim, were ready if needed. The midwifes Agrimony, Margæt, Otter, Suki and Whitethorn were in attendance, and though they were prepared to support Lilly, if she deemed it necessary, they were only there as interested craft observers. Mistress herbal Mink and Master herbal Falcon had readied all the herbal preparations they could possibly need for any eventuality, though Falcon opined that the herbs he’d provided Irena with, to relax the tension in her back and thus minimise her pain, were probably as effective to help her birth as aught else they could provide. By far the calmest folk involved were Irena, her husband Ousel and Lilly. As Irena had known, and had prepared Lilly for, her back maekt the process more difficult, but not so much as she had thought may be the case. She had decided a long time since it would be best for her to birth on her knees leaning on a padded stool. This was her first child, and when she had been birthing for fourteen hours the five older midwifes were becoming concerned for her and were convinced Cwm would be needed to cut in and birth her babe chirurgically.

Irena holding Ousel’s hand wouldn’t hear of it, saying, “Fourteen hours is nothing. How am I doing, Lilly?”

“The same as Lyre was at fourteen hours. Your babe is not distresst, and your back is making no difference other than to your comfort. Lyre was birthing for sixteen hours, and I can see no cause for concern. Your cervix is only six wiedths, [3 inches, 7½cm] and your waters have not braeken yet, so I suspect you have a little time still to wait.”

Ousel smiled gratefully at Lilly. He knew Irena thought a lot of Lilly as a person, and she maintained as a midwife Lilly had a certain gift, in her words, “She’s a natural.”

Irena had another contraction and, when she could, she remarked to her colleagues with a wry smile, “My midwife says, my babe and I are both progressing satisfactorily, and I have confidence in her and in the quality of her mentor.” She managed to finish saying that when her body demanded her attention again.

Lilly, in order to ignore the impatience and worries of the other midwifes focussed entirely on Irena, She was calm, almost detached, as the birth process continued, and three hours later said, “The contractions are coming closer together and are much stronger and lasting longer now Irena. Though your cervix is the full eight wiedths [4 inches, 10cm] your waters have still not braeken, but may hap it is time for you to be ready.”

Irena nodded. Ousel helped her onto her knees and to rest her arms on the stool, and as she leant forward her waters braekt. Fifteen minutes later Lilly calmly telt her, “Your babe is coming, the head is here, just one more good push, Irena, and your babe will be with you.” Within the minute Chiffchaff, as Irena had decided to name her babe if it were a girl, was a living, if screaming, individual in her own right. Another few minutes, and Irena, now maekt comfortable and sitting up in bed, was silently weeping as she nursed her babe, totally absorbed in her and oblivious to her surroundings.

As was her mentor’s practice Lilly waited till the blood from the umbilical cord had been taken up by Chiffchaff before tying and cutting it to grant the babe complete independence. Irena had repeatedly telt her, “After nine lunes another few minutes makes no difference, the blood may.”

Ousel expressed gratitude to Lilly saying, “She was determint to birth her babe naturally, so she could have more, and she knoewn if you were her midwife you would give her every possible chance to do so. It meant so much to her.”

Lilly already knew this because Irena had telt her tenners since, “They will be frightened for me because of my back, and if any of them were my midwife they would instruct Cwm before it became absolutely necessary. You are my midwife of choice, for other than Suki, and she can be bullied, you are the only one who has been trained in the craft my way. Yes, there is a risk, but it is a risk I wish to take, for Ousel and I wish a family. As a mother I have the right to choose my midwife. You will be in charge not they. They will be there merely as observers. Don’t let them make your mind up for you, Lilly, just because you are young. If you decide to instruct Cwm, that’s for you to decide, not them. I have told Ousel he must take your part if need be. You are my midwife of choice.”

Lilly, who had come to love her mentor, had promised her, “If I need to instruct Cwm I shall do so, but only when I consider there is no alternative.” They had discussed with Falcon and Mink which herbs they may have to use to help Irena have her child normally because they did not wish to use aught which could possibly tighten the curvature of Irena’s already curved spine. Lilly had been surprised at how little difference Irena’s back had maekt in the end. She’d had a normal birthing of her first child and suffered no damage. The only difference had been her position in which she had birtht, and Lilly wondered if it may be appropriate for some other women too. She decided she would have spaech with Irena regards it in a few days.

Lilly left Irena to cry comforted by Ousel. She knew Irena was crying because all her life before Castle her hunched and twisted back had ruled her life and maekt her an outcast. Here she had a man who loved her who wasn’t even aware of her back most of the time, which she had believed would never happen. Finally, she had become fully a woman in her own eyes with the birth of her first child. That the Folk of Castle cared more for each other than those of Earth Irena had no doubt and her opinion of those who should have had her weäl as their primary concern in their dealings with her had sunk to nothing since her incursion. She was sure she could and should have been provided with drugs as efficacious as the herbs provided by Falcon to ease her pain and the shoes Dudaim had maekt for her had enabled her to walk without pain for the first time in her life. They also enabled her to walk a little taller which maekt her feel better regards herself, and she knew they were far superior to any she had been provided with on Earth. That the Folk had totally accepted her she had known for lunes, but her tears were for her acceptance of herself.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00460010

YEW’S QUARTERDAY

GOODWILL

15th of Darrow Day 460

Few of the Folk were old enough to have experienced such a thing, a fiveth Quarterday: Yew’s Quarterday, and it was clear to all the Mother(11) herself approven for all were basking in the shine(12) of her approval. The day was glorious and the warmest day so far in an unseasonably warm spell that had lasted since the beginning of the lune. Castle was deemed to approve too, for such clouds as there were were high and wispy little things far off to the east, certainly not harbingers of inclement weather. Such a rare event was not to be wasted, for none knew if they would live to see the next such rare an event, so the Folk had excelled themselves. The good weather nomadic sheepherders had departed from their traditional grazing routes in order to ensure the Gather field was grazed down for the event and many holders, miners and foresters had returned to the Keep to enjoy the day. The stall holders were selling their finest wares and the food and drink vendors were selling at substantially reduced prices as determined by Sagon, Master of the Collective, at the order of the Council knowing they would have the difference deducted from their Collective(13) contributions over the coming lunes.

It was no surprise to Yew that as a result good will was at a level not normally experienced by any, yet still he was astonished at the amount of good will and friendship shewn specifically to him as he walked the Gather arm in arm with Rowan. He stopped to have spaech here and there, oft with the ancient or with children. It was still a source of wonder to Rowan that her man could have such meaningful interactions with all, even folk he had nothing in common with. With the ancient he encouraged their recollections of the previous fiveth Quarterday, with the young he spake of learning to dance as a child and of their excitement at going to the banquet and dance that eve. With those nearer his own age he spake of crafting and of children or grandchildren. Rowan knew that to Yew he shared a common humanity with all which was why he was so well regarded, but still it was a wonder to his oft prickly and difficult wife, characteristics birtht out of her deep shyth and insecurities, to watch her bright but by no means brilliant man draw out a child aflait(14) and nervous at being in his company into laughter, or one of the intellectually limited into conversation concerning a pet or a favourite activity. Everywhere he goent he extracted promises to dance with him that eve, “Even if only for a few seconds, My Dear, for I will to dance with as many as I can.” He extracted promises from those old enough to be his grandmother right down to those young enough to be his great granddaughters.

The day was a huge success, and in the opinion of many of the Council served to settle the remaining traces of unease twixt the unchangt and the changt. The changt had some how become to be seen as a guild or a craft rather than outsiders, a private and may hap different guild from most, but no more so than the leisure crafters(15) whose absolute secrecy concerning their dealings with the Folk was regarded as a necessary and proper aspect of their craft, or the huntsmen whose craft was a bastion of eccentricity. Too, many of the changt were now cross crafting with the huntsmen, waggoners, ingeniators(16) and many others, so they were integrating into the Folk in a way they never had before. It was difficult to determine whether a highly trained guardian was changt or no, and since they were there to serve the Folk it didn’t seem to matter in the way it had before. There was now huge social pressure exerted on all to accept them for what they were, just another group of Folk. Young Jed of the huntsmen who cross crafted as a sheepherder put his arrow in its eye when he said, “I’d rather be changt on Castle than a ginger back on Earth.”

Jed had had to explain his remark, but to the amusement of many, in the way of what he referred to as Chinese whispers, it became something the changt said as, “It could be worse. I could be a ginger on Earth.” The changt were beginning to form personal relationships though as yet whilst none had braeken none had lasted long enough to predict any possible out comes. There was still only Turner and Otday who had agreement and a babe.

The day had been successful but the banquet and dancing was massively so. As expected Yew and Rowan dined in the Great Hall, but they danced there, in the Refectory, at the White Swan and at the huge open air bonfire and eating site on the Gatherfield where earlier the Gather had taken place.

~o~O~o~

Back at home after the eve was over, long after firstlight and after having maekt love, Rowan asked, “Do you will me to be with you when you go to the Hill of the Folk to choose your final resting place, My Love?”

Rowan had long since telt Yew she was to be buryt on the holding of her kinsfolk and they had been to see her chosen site together, “But of course. I have already decidet it is to be near the top, not at the top, but next to the big boulder.” Rowan knew that was the site he had chosen for his mentor Hazel, who in the end had been buryt not there but next to her man on the holding of her kin. She noddet in silent understanding as Yew took her in his arms again.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00463010

DONE. I’LL TAKE THE LOT

MONOPOLY

18th of Darrow Day 463

Yew’s Quarterday was three days over and the days were noticeably shortening when Veronica, Mast and Flint arrived at the Keep with the gloam. They drove their teams to Geoffrey’s stables and Eorl purchased the two geldings immediately on Geoffrey’s behalf at the asking price, which he considered reasonable for the two high quality team leaders of obvious intelligence and ability. Eorl had his staff deal with the teams and telt Mast to leave the waggons to himself. Veronica and Mast were going to the nearby White Swan for a meal and a chamber, and Eorl said he would have a couple of apprentices take Flint’s crib and their bags there for them. An hour later, refreshed from a shower and clean, dust-free clothes, they were sitting down to a good meal in a dining room with a roaring fire. Flint was being minded at the crèche which Ivy’s daughter Kæna had originally organised for her and her sister’s children, but which she had expanded for the convenience of the customers. The couple lingered over their jugged hare, and afterwards decided they would have a drink or two and listen to David telling tales and the musicians and may hap even dance, be there any dance music. It was while they were listening to Harle telling tales that were almost as outrageous as those telt by David that Veronica overhearet a snippet of the events of Second Quarterday. A little later she asked Clarity, one of the counter staff, if she had been at the Second Quarterday appearance of Joseph and Iola.

“No. Why?”

“We’re always interested in anything that bears on trade. Is there any here who could tell me what happened? We were days away on the waggon on Second Quarterday.”

“I’ll find one of Joseph’s crafters for you. There are at least a dozen of them here thiseve.” Clarity laught, “I may even manage to find one sober enough to give you a plumb tale.”

Clarity left and Mast asked, “What’s this regards, Love?”

“I’m not sure, but something tells me we need to know.”

Clarity returned with three men, two middle aged and the other may hap twenty. She intoduced them as Garrom, Lindal and Foremost. Lindal was the younger man and seemed to be the most senior of the three. It was immediately clear that Foremost was intellectually limited but highly regarded by the other two. Lindal asked, “You wish to know of Joseph and Iola on Quarterday, Veronica, Mast?”

“Please. I’ll have a glass of red winefruit(17) juice, Clarity, a peach brandy for Mast and three glasses of what ever my friends here are drinking please.”

Clarity smiled and poured the fruit juice, brandy, two mugs of Liquid Gold and another of Black Beauty.

Over the next hour the three men telt Veronica and Mast of the appearance, each taking it in turn to buy the drinks. Clarity telt her Iola had given the Swan’s cooks some of the Mymate to evaluate but she didn’t know what they did with it and they had all gone home. By the time the couple retired Mast was a little light headed, but Veronica was smiling. She had findt out what she wished to know, though Mast couldn’t see how what she considered important enough to ask Clarity if she could taste it could be of any value to them. “The key to nextday’s negotiations is Iola. Leave it to me, Mast. I’m glad I’ve had a taste of that yeast product though I wish I knew a lot more concerning what to do with it.”

“That’s your biggest problem, Love. You wish to know everything.”

“I know. I’m a woman and we live on information even if it is just gossip. Now let’s get some sleep and sleep late nextday. I wish to have my wits sharp when I deal with the kitchens and you need to sleep all that brandy off. On the other hand you could work some of it off if you’re not too tiren, Love?”

“Little girl, here we come.”

~o~O~o~

The following forenoon it was gone ten when they returned to the stables. They drove the waggons to the kitchens’ unloading bay where Mast left Veronica, a much tougher negotiator than he, with Flint to deal with Milligan and Gibb, whilst he taekt the teams, still in the tack, back to Eorl, and maekt enquiries for big brood mares.

A tenner before the couple left Sunwarmth, after dinner one eve Shag and Mast went to check the horses. Shag had asked Mast to acquire a pair of big mares. “I wish them as big as possible because I wish to be able raise horses of this one’s quality.” Shag had patted Dalla on the rump as he spake. “If we’re going to breed waggon horses, we should strive to breed the best, and I like them big. Dalla is as good a wheeler as any I have ever seen. Grœddi is as good a horse, but I’d far rather have them with Dalla’s intelligence and temperament. See if you can buy a mare of the same breeding as Dalla or Longmane, even if it’s a filly, or more than one, I’ll take a chance on the cost. If you come across any it would be sensible to buy, buy them.

The holders had discussed the matter and Veronica and Mast were authorised to buy aught up to the price of four mares, but Mast had later telt Veronica, “We’ll be lucky if we can find one of the quality and size Shag wills.”

Milligan and Gibb had been impressed by the ceël(18) samples provided, interested in the new fruit and vegetables, especially the bananas which they had sampled, and even more so in the fruit that Veronica had described based on what Gooseberry had telt her. She explained they were not ready to be harvested, but would be delivered on their last trip before ceasing for the winter and returning home to Sunwarmth to overwinter. Many of the fruit were uest as vegetables, and the men were also pleased to hear that Gooseberry was copying all her notes concerning the new fruit and vegetables from her receipt books, and they would be available on their next trip to the Keep. The peppercorns had been of only mild interest to the pair, and Gibb had suggested Spoonbill was asked what he wished be done with them. Veronica suggested a sample was sent to Iola, as she would be interested and would know how to use them to best advantage. However, neither Gibb nor Milligan were prepared to pay the price Veronica held out for, which was as expensive as sagon(19) nuts, but Veronica was adamant and said she was not going to give the peppercorns away just because they did not have the experience to appreciate what she was offering. It was Gibb who braekt the deadlock by suggesting, “I’ll send for Iola, and we’ll hear what she has to say.” Milligan and Veronica agreed. Neither of the men noticed the amused look on Veronica’s face.

When Iola saw the peppercorns, her face lit up. She taekt a fresh peppercorn and crushed it between her teeth to test it. She savoured the effect, before trying a dried one. Smiling even more, she asked Veronica, “How much do you wish for them, Veronica?”

Veronica looked at Iola and whole conversations passed between them unperceived by the men. Veronica stated her price, and, without flinching, Iola said, “I don’t have a problem with the cost, Veronica, but I do have something you will wish for trading to pay with.”

Veronica, always interested in trade and seeking something to buy to assist in achieving the ultimate goal of her negotiations, had a good idea what Iola was referring to and said, “Tell me more, Iola.”

Iola asked an apprentice confectioner if she would please bring her a jar of Mymate from the provisioners’ stores. Ashdell smiled and said, “Of course, Iola.”

“I hearet something of it at the Swan lasteve, Iola. Mast and I had a drink with some of Joseph’s crafters and when I expresst interest Clarity gave me a taste of it. What is it?”

Whilst Ashdell went for the Mymate Iola explained what it was and how Crag of the provisioners had developed it for her. “It is a powerful taste and can be uest on bread, in soup or any meat dish. I’m sure there are other uses we haven’t discovert yet. I suspect many of your customers would appreciate a gallon jar or two a year. I givn Ivy’s cooks a few jars to try.” The two women chatted of Veronica’s new family and of the new fruit and vegetables as Iola held Flint and said all the things women say when a babe is involved.

Gibb and Milligan just awaited events to unfold.

Veronica knew that Iola was no fool, and her conversation lasteve with the brewery crafters had convinced her Iola was from her point of view the best member of the kitchens to deal with. It had amused her how little effort it had taken to manipulate Gibb and Milligan into sending for Iola. She also appreciated if Iola said she had a tradeable item then she did, and she needed to buy something, anything, in order to make the complex negotiations she wished to conclude possible. She’d never tasted Marmite, but was aware even its manufactures advertised it as a love it or hate it thing. She remembered that an advertisement for it had uest the phrase spread it on good and thin or perhaps it was nice and thin which had always struck her as strange. Ashdell returned with a gallon jar to tell Iola, “Dabchick would like to have spaech with you thisday sometime, Iola, but she sayt it’s not urgent.”

“Gratitude, Ashdell.” Iola turned to Veronica, “Try some, Veronica.”

Veronica taekt the cork from the jar and sniffed, “ Yes, that’s what I tasted lasteve. Powerful!” She reached for the spoon Iola held out and taekt a tiny amount to taste. “Very powerful! Very salty! How long will it keep, Iola?”

“We’ve had some in cold store over half a year and it’s in perfect condition. I suspect with the amount of salt in it it will keep almost indefinitely even in a warm place.”

Veronica considered it, tasted it again and continued, “I see what you mean. I can definitely trade that. I take it from what you sayt you have not as yet put a price on it?”

Iola smiled knowingly, “No, not yet. Thus far I have only given away free samples in exchange for information on what it works with and what it doesn’t.”

It was Veronica’s turn to smile in understanding, this was getting easier by the minute. “What do you say to the same price per weight as the peppercorns?”

“Done, and I’ll take the lot. When can you bring me some more, Veronica? I’ll take a thousand weights a year at that price if I can have them. How much of the Mymate do you wish?”

Veronica looked in amusement at the distressed faces of the men and replied, “I can supply the rest later in the year, in two or three lunes time. It will depend on how early winter comes. I should be able to provide enough to give you a thousand weights this year, but will you want that much this year seeing as most of the year has gone? I’ll take fifty jars if I can have them, but I’ll see Joseph regards some packaging before I collect if you don’t mind?”

“Yes please, to the thousand weights. You can certainly have fifty jars or even a hundred if you wish, and you can load them when you are ready. I’ll ask the firekeepers to help the storekeepers to unload your waggons if you like.”

“Gratitude for the help, Iola. I’ll take the hundred jars.” Veronica looked at the still distressed men and continued, “Shall we say a third off the price for the guarantee of bulk purchase, if I agree to only supply you with them for this season and next? And a third off my price for me doing the packaging? I take it you’ll want the peppercorns delivert to Bruana with the fruit and vegetables?”

“Yes, yes and no. I’d like the peppercorns taken to Spoonbill, but leave it with me. I’ll ask the storekeepers and firekeepers to start unloading as soon as they can, and the firekeepers will take the peppercorns to Spoonbill. My gratitude again.”

The two women hugged, and Veronica winked at Iola who winked back.

Veronica left with Flint to find a senior grower for gourd seed. She was pleased that the basis of all future negotiations for produce from the valley, with not just the kitchens but all Castle, had been settled so easily as a result of Iola’s intelligence and perception. The Mymate had maekt things much easier, and as she had suspected now she knew what to do with it it was definitely a tradeable item. Gibb who, had been perplexed by the complexities of the trade, said, “I hope you know what you are doing, Iola. That’s a heavy price we just payt.”

“Veronica was just playing with you. Pepper is the most tradet spice on Earth, Gibb. There is more grown than all other spices put together, which tells you how highly it is regardet. Given a choice between pepper and mercyfruit I should far rather have the pepper, but you shall see. Veronica has sett the price of Mymate as equal to that of the peppercorns, and we’ll probably end up trading equal quantities to our mutual benefit. For her it is a matter of pride and of maintaining her reputation as a trader. Between us we sett a price from which she can now trade all and any produce from her family’s holding. I suggest you let me deal with her in future. You have no idea how happy I am now, it is the one spice I have misst because I have not been able to provide the Folk with aught in its place. My sorrow, but I must go to take a sample for Spoonbill to taste. I shall later decide what I am going to cook using some for this eve.” With that Iola left taking small samples of the peppercorns leaving the two men to their thoughts. As both had remarked a number of times before, becoming one of Milligan’s managers had maekt no difference to her behaviour. Some of her detractors said, albeit quietly, that proven she was not adequate for the responsibility, but Milligan and his managers opined, and publicly said, it evidenced that she had been functioning as a manager for lunes.

“That she considert her most important obligation was to Spoonbill tells a lot of her commitment to her office does it not, Gibb?” Milligan asked.

“Indeed, but I don’t know of any of able thinking who has ever questiont her commitment to her craft, the kitchens and the feeding of the Folk.”

“Doet it ever occur to you that we could have stopt her, Gibb.”

“No. Why?”

“Me neither. I opine we must be becoming old you know, and I still don’t know how much we payt for those spices.”

“We are, but that’s not why we doetn’t stop her, and I don’t know how much we payt either. She must have spent an awful lot on behalf of the office since she joint us, certainly far more than any other, possibly more than every one else together, but none of it was wastet or badly spent was it? And most of what she has acquiert has subsequently been acquiert by most of the significant cooks too. Grangon ordert twelve of those fish kettles, and I’ve no idea how many strainers, infusers and big frying pans there are in the kitchens now. Have you ever bothert to discover how much she has spent, Milligan?”

Milligan shook his head in answer to both questions, and said, “I can’t say I’ve ever been worryt because Sagon and Pleasance both say the finances of the kitchens have never been as hale as they’ve been since she joint us, and mostly that has been due to her efforts.”

Gibb continued, “She’s savt a huge amount of food, and certainly the Folk eat better, in terms of both nourishment and interest, than we ever doet before she taekt over the soup kitchens. She knows what she’s doing, and I look forward to what ever she cooks that contains a spice she regards so highly. If she makes a mistake this time it will her first, and all are entitelt to make one from time to time. Surely, neither of us would have been offert a third off the price from Veronica, though with her taking a third off the price of the Mymate for packaging I’m not sure how we came out on the entire trade. I’m sure you know as much of her reputation as a trader do I. That’s why Mast left, he is a far weaker trader than Veronica, so he takes their vulnerability away. I suggest we do the same next time and leave her to Iola to deal with, as she suggestet. It bemuses me she would consider to trade beer sludge for the price of sagon nuts.

“I suspect Heron is a very lucky young man, but then may hap he is special too, but we just can’t see it. Ingot regards him highly. May hap we should pay a little more attention to him. If it makes you feel any better just imagine the look of triumph on Basil’s face when you complain to him of what Iola committet us to to pay for a few sacks of spice, because it will make the stock kettles look cheap, and you don’t have to mention the third off, or the Mymate. That should make the office triumph that much sweeter when the meals she cooks, and the ones she inspires others to cook too, are the huge successes I am sure they will be. And of course she has purchaest the sole supply of the spice for at least all of the next two years’ harvests.”

The two men, laughing, went berount their affairs both feeling much better after Gibb’s remark’s regards Basil and their monopoly of the peppercorns.

~o~O~o~

At the growers Alsike had been delighted to say she would provide Veronica with a sample of seeds from all the varieties of gourds they grew and some instructions regarding the harvesting sizes as well, “Of course if you want some for seed just let them mature, Veronica. From what you tell me of the Valley, you should try sowing some now and most of the rest when the weather warms nextyear.”

~o~O~o~

Veronica had been to have spaech with Wolf and sayt, “Shag and Sabrina are currently using an anvil of under a hundred and fifty weights, for it was all they could take on their heavily laden waggon. They wish one of greater weighth.”

“That is barely heavy enough for light work, Veronica. I’d suggest at least twice that.”

“That’s what they sayt. What is the limit of what you could make?”

“A full pour of steel is nigh six hundred weights, [1200 pounds, 600Kg] but we’ve never pourt a single casting of that weighth, not even for George, though it is doubtless possible.”

“Are you willing to try it, Wolf?”

“Certainly. Though it will need a tenner or possibly a tenner and a half for heat treatment and cooling.”

“Can it be done ready for our return to Sunwarmth? We’ll probably be back here and ready to depart some where in the middle of next lune, and again a lune after that.”

“Barring some thing unforeseen, yes. Certainly by your second return.”

“Can you load it on our three axelt waggon over the rear axles?”

“Yes. I’ll use one of the ingeniators’ hoists to handle it which will load it easily.”

“In that case, please make a start. My gratitude, Wolf.”

~o~O~o~

Unfortunately Mast had not managed to acquire a mare for Shag, but Veronica was still thinking regards how to improve craft matters not just for herself and Mast, but for all waggoners. Their prestige was high because they were unique in that not only did they propose to go everywhere with two teams, but both of those teams were eight horse teams, and their horses were all of the very highest quality. Veronica had over the last year negotiated with numerous holdings to store materials in transit, feed, tack and waggon spares. She had also negotiated with three to stable spare horses on behalf of herself and the waggoners she had trade agreements with. Waggoning was as a result becoming easier, but Veronica was far from satisfied. She and Mast had met and become friends with Zoë and Torrent. When Torrent had shewn Mast his four horse pole he’d telt him of his ideas for a six horse two part pole which Vinnek was still working on. Mast and Torrent had between them improven a number of aspect of their waggons, and at their request George had designed a much better braking system which all the waggoners now uest, and the Long Valley descent was now nowhere near as hard on the nerves. Despite their different backgrounds and ages, Zoë and Veronica were happily married women whose lifes had improven dramatically as a result of their incursion. They were friends who were committed to waggon crafting and met when ever they could to exchange ideas as well as gossip. Veronica had admitted to Zoë she was a little envious of her having Columbine. Now Flint was born she couldn’t wait for the two couples to meet. Thus far they had not managed to be in the same place at the same time.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00466010

WHAT WOULD I GIVE FOR THREE BREASTS?

IF YOU CRAFT ASHORE SO DO I

21st of Darrow Day 466

Madder and Robert’s triplets, Compass, Sólarsteinn and Sextant had gained weight rapidly and were now three lunes old. Madder and Robert had decided that other than a voyage, a day trip Robert called it, to Dockside on the other side of the estuary to see how the preparations for building the the explorer class vessels were proceeding they were not going back to sea till the children were at least a year old. Madder’s auntie Fulke had telt them that if they ever willen to go any where be it for an hour or a six lune voyage she’d be happy to look after the babes. Fulke was a knitter of men’s sweaters and a spinster and most of the time crafted at home knitting or using one of the new spinning wheels designed by George and maekt by Peregrine. “The children would be no trouble and I could probably do with the practice before my girls start their families. Now the children all have chambers of their own it gets a bit lonely sometimes when Fleam is away on long trips hunting with Towin.” Madder and Robert had decided to take Fulke up on her offer and try a short voyage of mayhap a tenner, but that was before Madder became ill with a head cold.

In itself Madder was not truly ill, just maekt miserable for a few days, but it had played havoc with her milk supply, and she was having help from Molly to nurse the babes, for she was barely producing enough for one of them. Molly was philosophical and had said, “It happens regularly, Dear, give it time and you’ll be able to nurse them all again.”

“How much time, Molly?”asked Madder.

“No more than a lune, probably half that would be typical, but keep nursing, or you risk your milk drying up altogether.”

Unwilling to risk her milk drying up, Madder was taking herbs under the direction of Falcon Master herbalist and nursing at every opportunity. All thought of a voyage, be it howsoever short, was put to one side for the time being. After a tenner Madder’s milk was returning and though still appreciating Molly’s aid she was feeling better regarding the possibilities of a short voyage in a lune or two. It was early eve and Madder was nursing her daughters, Compass and Sextant, whilst their brother, Sólarsteinn, was screaming with hunger and frustration when Robert answered the knocking at the door of their chambers. A runner gave him a note and left not waiting for a reply. Robert returned to Madder and exchangt a sleepy Compass for Sólarsteinn. “You wouldn’t think he was nurst just three hours ago, would you, Robert? I know I’d look odd, but what would I give for three breasts? What does the note say?”

Robert grinned and said, “Three breasts might look odd, but I’d make the most of it. I wonder what I’d give to have three hands.” The pair laught as he opened the note. “Honey asks us to attend a meeting of the senior members of the seacrafters in the early afternoon nextday concerning captaincy of an explorer class vessel. It looks like you’re going to get what you’ve been dreaming of for a couple of years, Love.”

“No. I bethink me there’s more to it than that. Read the exact wording to me again would you, Robert?” Robert read the note aloud more slowly this time and Madder continued, “They want us both and it sounds like they are going to offer us both a captaincy. How do you feel regards that, Love?”

“You know the answer, Madder. I’m not sailing on any vessel you are not on too. I’ll give up sea crafting and do something else if they insist.”

Madder nodded and said, “If that happens they lose both of us. If you craft ashore so do I.”

“We’ll find out nextday what’s going on, but I suggest I walk round to see Molly and ask if she’ll look after the babes after lunch whilst we go to the meeting.”

Madder nodded and said, “You go now, and I’ll have the crew nurst, changt and in their cribs by the time you return.

When Robert returned the babes were asleep in their cribs and Madder was enjoying a mug of leaf and the tranquillity. “You wouldn’t think there could have been so much noise in here would you? What did Molly say, Robert?”

“At least there’s nothing wrong with their lungs. Molly invitet us all for lunch. She’s nursing a couple of others too and said it would be easiest to do it all at her chambers and we could take as long at the meeting as we willen, for she’s not leaving home all day. I’ll pour me a leaf too. You want another, Love?”

~o~O~o~

Molly was nursing two of her own, two others and Madder and Robert’s crew. That was how the couple referred to the triplets, the crew. Watching Molly feed a crèche of hungry babes was fascinating to the couple. It was a precision operation. Two at a time she nursed them for five minutes each. “That takes the edge off their hunger and screams and the worst of the pressure off my breasts, for they suckle hardest and take most when hungriest,” she explained. “Then they get ten minutes each and any still awake can have another helping. I’ve been doing this for years and it’s the fastest way I’ve discovert to reduce the pressure on both my breasts and my ears. I have my own chamber across the walkway from our chambers to protect Briar’s ears. Men can’t take the screaming the way women can.”

Still smiling at Molly’s explanations the two maekt their way to the seacrafters’ affairs chambers where they were met by ship Mistress Honey who was the Mistress ship crafter and the Dockside Councillor. The couple waited for her to spaek and were surprised when she said, “My sorrow, that there is only me to have spaech with, but the others all had to be else where. We appreciate you do not wish to ship on separate vessels and after much deliberation have decidet to offer the pair of you the joint captaincy of Explorer Yan. However, it being the first of the explorer class vessels the shipwrights are not prepaert to even hazard an estimate as to when her keel will be layt never mind when she’ll make her maiden voyage. Brock and Bruin’s crews are having some problems with the new dock, and till the granite sill is blastet away the explorer class vessels only exist on paper. However, Brock and Bruin assure us the dock will be completet within at most a couple of years, so the timbers are being prepaert and dryt in advance. In addition all that can be done in advance of her keel being layt is being done as soon as can be managt.”

Madder and Robert looked at each other and taking both each other’s hands in theirs they said, “We accept.”

Robert said, “We have decidet not to go to sea till the babes are a year old, so we shall have to craft at some thing ashore whilst times in order to live. However that does not mean we shall have left the craft merely we shall be doing what we have to.”

“That will not be necessary. As of the moment you acceptet you shall be remuneratet as captains just as if your vessel were in dock. That was discusst and agreen by the senior craft members several days since. However, we should appreciate you keeping in close contact with the shipwrights, so that details are built as you require. Better by far they be built to design than have to be altert later. We decidet to make it known that you had acceptet the captaincy should you so decide. We’ll be looking for crew for you too, but feel free to approach any you would like to ship with.”

Madder smiled and said, “I have not long recovert from calt of the head, I was not ill so much as wretcht, but it had a serious effect on my milk. So much so that I am being aidet to nurse my babes by Molly. I am recovering, but till I can nurse them all again myself I do not will to be far from Molly. Then,” Madder looked at Robert before continuing, “I bethink me it be best if we movt to Dockside to be near what ever of Yan is in progress and the shipwrights. What bethink you of that, Robert?”

“I agree, Love.”

“Another half lune or so and we shall move over the Arder, but we’ll inform you before we go, Honey.”

Honey smiled and said, “Gratitude. We could find no record of such a captaincy in our records, so we can provide no guidance on how to proceed. I’m aflait you’ll have to write the guide lines yourselfs for others in similar situation in the future.”

The couple expressed gratitude to Honey and she did likewise before they parted. Once outside the building Madder said, “Not having to craft at aught other than making sure Yan is fitt out in accord with our needs will make things easier for us regards the babes. I have some ideas to have spaech with you later concerning navigation instruments in the chart cabin, for those improven gymbals of George’s will take up much less space than the existing ones. Whilst times you can continue writing your book on the extinction of Earth life forms and the destruction of their habitats ready for Aaron and Nigel to make recommendations to the Council concerning how to ensure that never happens here. Will you be able to finish it before Yan makes her maiden voyage?”

Robert nodded and said, “I’ll have it finisht long before then. Have you given any thinking to a crew, Madder?”

“Yes, but I haven’t maekt much headway in these few minutes. Why?”

“Now we have the captaincy and it’s no secret, I suggest we do more than approach those few we can think of. I bethink me we should openly admit we are seeking crew and may need those with skills not normally to be findt in seacrafters. We have no idea what we shall find and I should be happier had we a full complement of guardians, the changt for choice, also hunters and trackers. I’ll start writing a log of all I think of and all you suggest too. How does that sound?”

“Like we are going to earn our remuneration ashore before we sail, but at least I shan’t feel guilty regards doing naught for the tokens. Let’s call on my uncles and Auntie Fulke to tell them the news before we collect the crew from Molly.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00466020

DECREASING COSTS

PEPPER IN PUDDINGS

21st of Darrow Day 466

After Spoonbill, Iola had apprised Dabchick, Bruana, Eudes, Fulbert and Grangon of the new spice: Pepper. Spoonbill considered it to be of greater significance than Mymate and had been thinking of and testing numerous spice blends containing pepper, some of which he recommended for use with fruit and puddings in ways that had never been considered on Earth and were greatly appreciated. He was, Iola opined, the most open minded food connoisseur she had ever heard of. Pepper was considered by Eudes and Fulbert to be a much more subtle spice than mercyfruit and fireseed, and hence more widely applicable. Grangon uest it on flatfish with butter and a hint of yellow sour(20) juice and had been amazed at the dish’s popularity. Dabchick considered it to be of far greater utility than mercyfruit and fireseed in preserved meats, and her Peppern(21) Venison Links were considered especially tasty. Bruana uest it in pickling spice mixtures and noticed an increase in the consumption of pickles.

The kitcheners had written on the menu boards that a new spice yclept pepper was in use and its taste had been noticed and appreciated by all who had eaten dishes containing it, though as yet few knew any more regards pepper than that it was a new spice. Yet again Milligan and Gibb had been taken aback by Iola, and they and the other managers agreed that Iola was spending the office’s resources far better than any other had ever done within their knowledge, and on average the cost of feeding the Folk was still decreasing as a result of her activities, and despite her dramatic spending from time to time, the quality and variety of meals were still improving. When Milligan and Gibb saw the lune’s accounts and how little they had finally paid for the peppercorns, they realised that Veronica had indeed been playing with them, and in order to have been aware of that Iola must have been able to not only work out the cost as negotiations had proceeded, but also to understand Veronica and how the negotiations were going to proceed before they even started.

The milling of dried bones on behalf of the Folk, who had financed the bone mill via the Collective, had proven to be a serendipitous happenstance. Because operating the bone mill to produce an acceptable product required less critical setting and adjustment of the millstones than when milling grain it had provided an ideal opportunity for younger apprentice millers to gain experience. Most of the bone flour was going into Ingot’s dog biscuits replacing a large proportion of the grain flour, enabling more of the food waste from the refectories to be uest for the dogs. Though fed table scraps from the Refectory the Keep hens were still in the main fed on parched or boiled weed seed winnowed out of grain and the insects and pests they cleared from fallow sections twixt the Keep walls. Sagon had estimated the mill would pay for itself within the year. Milligan said to Gibb, “I’m sure Iola oft has no idea of how things will come to be, but her instincts lead her to make the right decisions.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00469010

BRIGHTTH A TRADITIONAL FOLK NAME

THE DATES WERE WRONG

24th of Darrow Day 469

The Tall Pines forestry crew were nigh to a lune to returning to the Keep. Paul expected to be back in time for his wife Bulrush’s birthing. However his daughter Brightth, was birtht more than a lune before she was expected. Mistress midwife Irena considered that Brightth, a traditional Folk name, was probably a few days early but no more, for she had every appearance of a full nine lune babe. “I believe the dates were wrong, not Brightth. It is entirely possible that you lost some blood and taekt it for a lunetime, but were already a lune pregnant, Bulrush. It is far more common that mothers make such mistakes than that babes make mistakes of the same order.”

When Paul arrivt home with the crew, he admitted he was a little disappointed not to have been present at his daughter’s birth, but to Bulrush’s relief was delighted with his daughter. He’d never said, and she never asked, but she’d assumed he’d have preferred a son, but it was clearly not so.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 004706010

THE FELL SUPPER

HAPPITH AND HIS FLUTE

25th of Darrow Day 470

Lunes since, Milligan, appreciative of Douglas and his kith’s desire to commemorate something of their history and traditions, almost aught at all Douglas had telt him, had thought deeply regards his own folk too. The most significant event recorded in their history had been the Fell year, and though all knew that it had almost been the end of the Folk their survival had never been commemorated in any official way, even eating graill,(22) with all its attendant traditions, was not thought of as a commemoration of the event. Now, it beseemed him, that the Folk were going to grow in number as a result of the knowledge and skills provided by the members of the last incursion, he felt that the Folk should have their equivalent of Douglas’ kith’s Burns supper. Unlike Douglas’ kith he had naught to start from, but he had decided it was important to him. In his deepest thoughts, he decided it would be his legacy to his Folk. His deepest thoughts, he knew, he would only ever be able to confide to Aaron or Nigel, which confidence he decided would be a sensible thing to do. Aaron heard him out without saying a word, and when he had finished had said, “I agree, Milligan, but as yet I am not sure what it is I agree with. I would appreciate a few days to consider the matter before I say aught, but you may be assuert that I shall come to a conclusion as to how you may proceed with a commemoration of the Folk’s survival of the Fell year. May I discuss the matter with Nigel?”

Nigel was known to be even more sparing of spaech than Aaron, and so Milligan replied, “Yes, but only Nigel please.”

When Aaron asked Milligan to find a convenient time to meet with him, Milligan telt the runner after the eve meal or when ever was convenient for Aaron. Aaron had studied the outline of Douglas’ Burns night meal and the notes Douglas and his kith had maekt on all aspects of the matter and had produced a complete outline of a Folk equivalent. He telt Milligan Nigel had suggested since the flute was the instrument most commonly played by the Folk Happith and his flute would be a suitable equivalent for Euan and his pipes, and he would have spaech with Happith and ask him to compose a new piece for the occasion. Aaron had written a large number of spaeches from which Milligan could chose, a few of which he had written to be recited after Milligan’s moderation. Since the Folk had no equivalent of haggis as an identifying dish he proposed Iola’s Keep Bouillabaisse be adopted since Musk considered it to be the most significant unifying event produced by the kitchens in his lifetime and unlike graill the ingredients were readily available in the required quantity all rear round. Despite their rivalry, there had never been any ill feeling between Milligan and Basil, and Milligan decided to consult Rowan, Plume, Basil and Hobby concerning Aaron’s proposals. Eventually the six evolved a sequence of events and words with a view to creating a new tradition to celebrate the Folk’s continued existence. It had considerable flexibility builded in, and though Aaron was happy enough with what they had decided for it to become a Folk event in the Greathall Milligan decided a trial with the kitchen crafters and their friends to be advisable. Thus was the Fell supper birtht.

Iola’s Kitchen Banquet Menu – The Fell Supper – the Summer Supper

Rosé and Liquid Gold(23) to drink before the meal
Keep Bouillabaisse Broth with Crusty Barley Rolls and Rouille Sauce
Keep Bouillabaisse Fish and Starchroot(24) with Ice Calt Spirits(25)
Pheasant Kitchener(26) with Spiceweed(27) and Greenleaf(28) with Light Rosé.
Pear and Quince (preservt in honey) Snow Pie(29) with Pouring Cream and Crusht toastt Gær Nuts(30) with Golden Gær(31)
Spicet Leaf with Brandy and Pennyroyals(32)

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00476010

HATCHED, MATCHED AND DESPATCHED

COUNCIL MEETING GOSSIP & BRANDY

1st of Uernith Day 476

The Council were relaxed for things were returning to a normal they had not known for a couple of years. The incursion was over, matters concerning the changt had been resolved with far fewer deadths than they had feared would be the case and the Folk were benefitting from that. Time over Castle had presented few problems and matters seemed to be returning Council meetings to what the newfolk Councillors referred to as ‘Hatched, Matched and Despatched’ or ‘Births, Deaths and Marriages’. All that remained was gossip and brandy.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00490010

COURAGE

TRUEDAWN’S SON

15th of Uernith Day 490

The unlikely seeming agreement of boisterously out going, forty-six year old, explosives expert Truedawn and shy, introverted, twenty-three year old, crew cook Nathan was a highly successful one. With the emotional stability that Truedawn provided Nathan became gradually less socially inept when in the company of the Galena miners at the mine. He’d come to realise the miners liked him, and appreciated his cooking. That they no longer were provided with cutlery and plates with half of their last meal still on them was a revelation. Clean crockery and sparkling cutlery was like being back at the Keep and Nathan cooked good food. Nathan’s unshakable love was something Truedawn had never experienced before and she became less rowdy as she felt less defensive.

The couple had returned to the Keep for Truedawn to birth their babe. Though the healers and midwifes would never tell any Truedawn was terrified and it was only Nathan’s calm and loving presence that had prevented her from completely unravelling. An orphan, she’d had little in the way of family and had dragged herself up on sheer courage and bravado in more or less equal measure. She’d started crafting with explosives purely because it was dangerous, and filled with a constant need to prove herself to others and herself she built a tough and hard image of herself that even she’d come to believe was reality most of the time. As a girl she’d never had the opportunity to watch a birth, so she had no idea of what to expect. The midwifes had considered Nathan to be cool, calm and collected which even at the time, despite her mental state, Truedawn had known was not true. She’d been aware that Nathan had been strong and courage itself during her birthing because he knew she needed him to be. Nathan holding himself and his wife together through the experience of birthing when she knew he was terrified for her and would rather have been anywhere else was she considered one of the most courageous things she’d ever heard of. With explosives deadth would she knew be instantly over if it goent badly, Nathan had put himself through a living deadth for twenty seven hours simply because he would not allow her to suffer it alone.

The herbs had not been uest and Truedawn had suffered no damage. The problem was her age and the reluctance of her mind to allow her body to yield to the stresses it had been designed to accommodate. Eventually it was over, and Truedawn relaxed as she held and then nursed their son. Mistress midwife Irena said to the others, “It’s ironic, but if she could have achieved the level of relaxation that nursing her babe forced on her she’d have birtht in half the time. Still her next one will be the birthing of a mother, and a very different affair.”

Truedawn named her son Courage. She chose what was a popular and traditional Folk name, but only telt Nathan a long time afterwards she had named her son after his father.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00497010

HEAVY PROBLEMS

THE ANVIL AND CONFECTIONERY

22nd of Uernith Day 497

“We’ve had our share of problems with it, Veronica, but all have been overcome. My sorrow but you can’t take it away till it’s finisht cooling properly. It’s over six hundred weights. But how much over we’ll know not till it’s coolt completely which may be even another tenner due to its bulk. It’s taking longer than we considert it would. I can’t even let you see it yet, for it’s buryt under a few thousand weights of hot foundry sand so as to cool slowly before we give the upper portion its final heat treatment.”

“It’s no bother, Wolf. We have a load of baggt ore from Red Stone Bluffs to offload for your crafters nextday and then we’re off again nextdaynigh on a short trip with finisht goods, fabric and clothing before returning with dryt meat and fish and furniture quality hardwood. I imagine we’ll be back in a tenner or so. I’m not sure if we’re returning home then or not, for it’ll depend on what we pick up whilst times.”

~o~O~o~

When Veronica met up with Mast at the White Swan thateve he was obviously pleased with himself and she asked, “Who have you had the better trade out of this time, Love?”

Smiling he replied, “None. Confectionery Mistress Rosemary, whom you get the pennyroyals for the teams from approacht me and sayt they’d been experimenting with some of those honeyroots that Diana the wife of Gander has grown for Joseph’s crafters. Their first batch over carameliest and in the stead of pure white the pennyroyals had a brown colour, though they still taste of mint. She offert me a dozen barrels for the price of three if we’d lead in three loads of honeyroots from the growers at Eversprings Holding for the usual consideration. The honeyroot is a convenient load, and not far away. We have a few days’ crafting close to the Keep which will fill the time when we had nothing.”

“Will the teams like the pennyroyals, Mast. If they don’t what do we do with them?”

“I enjoyt the one I tasted, so I can’t imagine the teams will not like them, and any hap if they don’t they’ll trade, for children will certainly like them. I’m going to look at the teams and check the tack and waggons after we’ve eaten ready for a departure at eight nextday. You can give them some of the pennyroyals and see for yourself whether they like them.”

Veronica nodded and said, “There’s spitt venison on the eve menu. You interestet?”

“Very, so it’ll be sensible to order it now before it’s all spaken for. And Rosemary sayt if there are any other batches that don’t yield the results they will she’ll set them aside for us at the same price.”

Veronica knew that Mast had initially considered her use of the relatively expensive pennyroyals as rewards for their original single team of six had been a little extravagant and over indulgent, and he’d only accepted the expense when she’d telt him that Gudrun who managed the huntsmen’s stables uest pennyroyals thus and had adviest her to so do too. Once Mast had realiest it had maekt their horses much easier to deal with his approval of the practice had been a relief to her. However, though the tokens it cost were not excessive the saving would be worth having.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00505010

TRAIL IMPROVEMENTS

INOCULATION & CHRONOMETERS

1st of Stert Day 505

The Council was yet again anticipating meeting to discuss not much. That was the the way they preferred meetings to be, for busy meetings meant problems for at least some of the Folk. However, Geoffrey Master waggoner put a proposal before the Council concerning improvements to the trail network and some significant construction of new trails. He’d said the matter would be put before the Folk on Quarterday to see how the ideas were received. It was decided to have Sagon look into the financial implications and a special group of Councillors was set up to manage the entire matter, and decide what if any thing the Council would put to the Folk on Quarterday.

Gosellyn telt them, “Wound care is much better than of yore, resulting in much faster healing rates and less tissue damage which would have taken a long time to repair, if repair ever occurt. Some of this is due to the information providet by the newfolk, and some arising out of our collaborations with the animal healers. We have completet the initial inoculation gainst the fevers of the entire Folk, except those under ten lunes old, a few pregnant women and some nursing very young babes. The decision has been maekt by the healers not to inoculate those under ten lunes and to make sure we do as soon as they are old enough. Too, we intend that the few women who have not yet been inoculaten are as soon as possible. On advice from various newfolk the supplies of inoculation material are keept cool with ice but not freezen.”

George telt them, “The primitive chronometers that tell ships where they are are working and every one built is an improvement on its predecessor. Madder, Robert and Steve’s almanac has been startet and we expect a number of benefits to arise from that once Axel has the mathematics under way. Mostly navigational benefits which will be of particular use to the Explorer class ships.”

Yew asked, “Is that it? Back to gossip and brandy?” At the murmured assent he added, “This meeting is now cloest.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00508010

SHARED MILK

SISTER WAGGONERS

4th of Stert Day 508

Zoë and Torrent arrived back at the Keep in the late forenoon, and were delighted to be telt Veronica and Mast were there too. Veronica finally caught up with Zoë at her mum’s. Zoë was interested in Veronica’s crafting with Mast on their two waggons. After half an hour she had decided that if Veronica and Mast could use two waggons then she and Torrent could too, for she’d been doing some of the driving for lunes. It had initially been Zoë’s idea that Veronica and herself should become sisters. It had come to be by chance, but both women were perceptive and seized the opportunity. Columbine had been a little ill and though she had been eating some solid food for a while she wished the comfort of the breast. She had taken all Zoë had and was fussing. Veronica had said, “Pass her to me, Zoë. I’ve plenty and Flint won’t go short.” A tired but now satisfied Columbine had wished to sleep, so Zoë put her in her crib and Zephyr went to make leaf. An hour later Flint awoke demanding to be fed. “I’ll nurse him first, Veronica, then you know he’ll have enough.” Zoë nursed Flint who then was nursed by his mum and subsequently changed by Zephyr. With a gleam in her eye Zoë said, “Our babes have shaert our milk, which in some way makes them syskonen,(33) Veronica, but it would be better if we were sisters, better for us, and much better for our waggoning.”

Veronica seeing the sense of it and quite sharp enough to keep up with Zoë, simply said, “Agreed, Sister.”

Zephyr, who was thrilled at the idea of another daughter, son and grandson, asked, “How will you obtain Mast’s and Torrent’s approval?”

Zoë’s face was bland as she said, “I have no intention of asking for it, and any hap he’ll be far too busy looking berount him for a waggon and team to be bothert because I’m taking his.”

Veronica equally expressionless said, “We shall merely tell them of it. If they have any sense at all they’ll be delighted.”

Zephyr laught and said, “I may have three completely open and easy going sons, but I do believe my three daughters are completely unscrupulous and iron willen. The three of you are a credit to the women of the Folk.” Fletcher, Zephyr’s eldest son, was a thirty year old not overbright cooks’ assistant who crafted for Iola. Orkæke his seventeen year old pregnant wife was an intelligent apprentice herbal who managed his life for him in a way he enjoyed, and it maekt his mother happy he had found someone who not only wisht to but could.

The women continued chatting of how their sisterhood could be uest to their advantage and eventually conceived of the creation of a clan of waggoners. Neither Mast nor Torrent were bothered and both considered it a good idea.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00518010

ÆNEASCOFFEY

HIPS DESIGNT FOR BIRTHING

14th of Stert Day 518

Though Lunelight had nursed her eldest, Damson, he’d been adopted from the incomers and she’d never carried a babe neath her heart. Lunelight was a substantially built woman of six feet and half a span [six foot two, 188 cm] and had enjoyed her pregnancy from beginning to end. She was married to Douglas an incomer of such height and build as to make her appear, and more importantly to her to feel, small alongside him. Though forty-five she was only birthing for four and a half hours and though tired, not exhausted. Mistress midwife Agrimony telt her, “The wiedth of your cotte(34) is baest berount a hip structure designt for birthing babes, Dear.”

Nursing her son, Lunelight asked, “Have you providet him with a name yet, Douglas?”

Lunelight had insisted her babe be named after something to do with Douglas’ craft and he was relieved he had a son for he’d not managed to think of a name for a daughter that was pretty and would also satisfy Lunelight.

“Yes. Æneas Coffey. It’s two names really. Æneas Coffey was the inventor of my new still.”

“I like it. Say it again slowly so I can say it too, Love.”

Æneas Coffey having two names was unusual for the Folk, though not unheard of, but most folk ran the two names together as one word, Æneascoffey. Before he could walk that became his name.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00519010

THE NEW TRAILS

GEOFFREY THE WAGGON MASTER

15th of Stert Day 519 Third Quarterday

Veronica and Zoë had extended their ideas regards waggoning, and with the encouragement of their husbands, announced at third Quarterday they were now sisters, and they and their husbands were trade partners. They invited other waggoners to join them in the formation of a clan coöperative. At their appearance the two couples proposed an improven network of waggon trails, suggesting if only the waggoners worked on them the holders and the Keep dwellers would have to recompense them for their improven service, alternatively if the holders and Keep dwellers improved the trails too there would be no extra cost to any for the service and the waggoners, most of whom they had managed to contact, had agreed to move all tools, folk, food and everything else required for no charge. None of the Folk considered the waggoners’ proposition to be unreasonable and, though it would be a huge undertaking, realised all would ultimately benefit. The approval and agreement to assist was a popular decision.

The Council advised in advance of the idea had asked Sagon to consider how the proposal could best be assisted. He proposed Collective funding be maekt available to assist, and Siskin, at Sagon’s suggestion, maekt an appearance representing the Council suggesting those who put in time above the average be recompensed by allowing them to offset their time gainst their Collective contributions, which was agreen and approven and seen as popular proof Siskin was indeed suitable to be Lady of Castle whe Yew retired. When asked by Will if they were using real tokens, debt tokens or imaginary tokens Sagon laught and replied, “Will, over the course of five years they’re all just tokens whether they exist or no, for tokens are not metal, nor paper, nor even debts. Tokens are an idea, no more, none of them truly exist other than because folk think they do. I can write on a piece of paper that it is a Collective note for ten tokens or even ten million tokens, but both are just pieces of paper.”

In time, many of the logging crews cut new trails through the forests starting near to where they were working. Some of what they cut was good building or even furniture quality wood, but most was fuel wood and taken by the waggoners when they had waggons with spare capacity going that way to the trail construction camps where it was needed. Many of the growers who were uest to working with heavy horses assisted the horse loggers to grub out roots with the new stump pullers. Wayside accommodations for the trail makers were carefully sited not too far apart, so as to provide shelter for the waggoners and their teams once the trails were finished. Many of the Folk who were not directly involved in the trails cooked and provided domestic services for those who were.

Brock and Bruin with the aid of the map makers determined the routes through rocky passes and gangs of miners blasted the trails through. Huge numbers of volunteers helped to fill in the boggy stretches with rocks carried by the waggoners oft using blast rubble from the passes. Innumerable bridges were built and fords created and even two tunnels, and the hardset(35) makers couldn’t keep up with demand. At George’s suggestion, the smiths formed four huge steel cylinders with pipes in their centres for two axles to run through and the ingeniators filled them with rocks and hardset to form a heavy but manoeuvrable horse drawn, double, twin road roller. Vinnek’s crafters built a frame berount it with a reversible pole for six horses in front and tack fastenings for horses behind if required, and the trails were rolled using up to four dozen heavy horses on the steeper sections. Eventually over three-quarters of the Folk would contribute at least a tenner of their time to help. Many had enjoyed the camaraderie of crafting in the road gangs and had stayed longer than they had intended to. Life still had to continue for the waggoners, for materials and food still had to be delivered, especially to and from their more remote customers, but they carried aught and any to do with the trail free of charge and that included entertainers. Many of the entertainers became temporary, itinerant minstrels moving from one trail camp to the next.

The improven network was near enough finished within three warm seasons. Brock and Bruin had agreed as soon as enough explosives experts were available they would undertake the improvements to the approaches to the new mill north of the river as part of the general improvement of the waggon trails they were overseeing on behalf of the waggoners, and that would be virtually the last section to be completed. There were many folk who would in later years look back to the trail improvements with nostalgia, it had been hard work, unpredictable, oft dangerous and had claimed several lifes, yet it had also been exciting, fulfilling and oft romantic, and many a babe had been birtht in the wayside accommodation. There were hundreds of folk who had reached agreement with their agreän working on the trails oft inspired to a declaration by some of the wonderful sights usually only the waggoners would have seen.

It had always been accepted that messages and goods could be left at any holding for the waggoners to collect, but the new wayside accommodations which had been built alongside the trails for the waggoners were also uest by hunters, foresters, miners and the like as places to leave things for collection as well as emergency shelters. Turner and Otday, on a routine circular trip, noticed a large chest fastened to two poles driven in the ground gainst the wind at the side of the trail two days from the nearest holding in either direction. Inquisitive, they investigated to find it contained letters from foresters to their families. The foresters, whose camp was not on a waggoners’ trail, were working the other side of a range of hills and they had come through the high pass and constructt the drop box. The idea caught on, much to the joy of lonely crafters and their families who misst them. The families sent letters for the waggoners to deposit in the drop boxes. A large drop box was constructt at Havern’s Ironwood and another over the Arder where three trails crossed. Eventually a waggoners’ settlement was founded at the latter which became yclept Letter Box Crossing.

Over time Veronica and Zoë negotiated with many more holders for horses to be stabled as well as feed stuffs, spare parts for waggons, tack, equipment and goods in transit to be stored. By the time the improven trails were finished all of the waggoners had joined the clan originally formed as a result of Veronica and Zoë’s sisterhood, and Geoffrey was unanimously chosen as the waggon Master and clan chief, for he’d long been referred to as Geoffrey waggon Master rather than Geoffrey Master waggoner. His first act as waggon Master, which had universal approval by the clan, was to ask Aaron and the Master at arms office to update the waggoners’ guild charter to reflect the new situation. Surprisingly to all there were few changes required.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, George/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Kathleen, Raymond, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennet, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, Axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Quorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly
117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Heron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte
118 Iola, Adela, Knapps, Dabchick, Bruana, Beatrix, Bwlch, Burnet, Winefruit, Twailles, Saught, Spoonbill, Coaltit, Fulbert, Eudes, Coriander, Milligan, Hobby, Morgelle, Caoilté, Fritillary, Tuyere, Ælfgyfu, Morwen, Bistort, Furnace, Turner, Froe, Otday, Otter, Luval, Molly, Ivy, Eorl, Geoffrey, Betony, Gosellyn, Smile, Phœbe, Cwm, Angharad, Vervain, Irena, Lilly, Falcon, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Charlotte, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Yew, Rowan, Spearmint, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Loosestrife, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Oliver, Claire, Gdana, Grebe, Ironwood Agrimony, Joseph, Gordon, Diana, Gander, Gibb, Lunelight, Pleasance, Bay, George, Jason, Briar, Barnet, Oak, Acorn, Knott, Ingot, Gage, Beth, Jed, Guy, Qvuine, Swegn, Mortice, Mike, Spruce, Linden, Will, Gale, Morris, Rock, Revæl, Rampion, Matilda, Silverherb, Wheatear, Brock, Bruin, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Edwin, Aspen, Musk, Joseph, Cynthia, Sannie, Lobelia, Merle, Laura, Warbler, Mint, Allia, Kevin, Laiqqa, Davvi, Madder, Robert, Crossbill, Barleycorn, Compass, Sextant, Sólarsteinn, Fulke, Bryony, Cobalt, Tress, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Jade, Phthalen, Tallia, Yumalle, Larov
119 Joseph, Briar, Sago, Swegn, Tress, Bryony, Gordon, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Cobalt, Appleblossom, Lotus, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Bloom, Weälth, Coppicer, Lacy, Silverbean, Marjoram, Scorza, Gooseberry, Cove, Gowwan, Hugh, Earnest, Campion, Aaron, Skale, Xera, Horehound, Joaquim, Lorna, Leofric, Sabrina, Shag, Vinnek, Ruby
120 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Beth, Greensward, Will, Leech, Livette, Gloria, Peregrine, Janet, Ninija, Fiona, Isabel, Lilac,Ash, Beech, Jasmine, Rebecca, Francis, Yellowstone, Buttercup, Gage, Opal, Mist, Odo, Milligan, Thomas, Will, Gareth, Yew, Rowan, Basil, Hobby, Sagon, Campion, Joseph, Iola, Alwydd, Spearmint, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Bowman, Gibb, Coaltit, Gordon, Douglas, Dabchick, Pleasance, Fergal, Åse, Leveret, Durance, Wayland, Laura, Stonecrop, Aaron, Nigel
121 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Iris, Otday, Gooseander, Harebell, Haw, Molly, Campion, Qvuine, Axel, Milligan, Veronica, Mast, Shag, Flint, Scoter, Sabrina, Marjoram, Peregrine, Clarice, Lingon, Cove, Gooseberry, Boarherb, Lorna, Horehound, George, Gowwan, Bloom, Leofric, Silverbean, Scorza, Flittermouse, Bryn, Hugh

122 Will, Gage, Mari, Ford, Milligan, Basil, Gudrun, Fergal, Rowan, Iola, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Hubert, Svetlana, Stanislav, Kathleen, Reef, Desmond, Raymond, Nigel Dabchick, Gabriëlla, Campion, Qvuine, Swegn, Nuulla, Gareth, Juniper, Leech, Thomas, Pilot, Yew, Janice, Ashlar, Slate, Whitethorn, Marble, Kæn, Berg, Linden, Lorna, Horehound, Banana, Veronica, Mast, Joaquim, Sabrina, Shag, Bloom, Cove, Hugh, Dlupé, Seela, Bullnut, Rutlan, Coppicer, Peregrine, Gowwan, Torrent, Irena, Chiffchaff, Lilly, Gosellyn, Cwm, Pim, Agrimony, Margæt, Otter, Suki, Whitethorn, Falcon, Mink, Ousel, Lyre, Dudaim, Yew, Sagon, Rowan, Jed, Turner, Otday, Hazel, Flint, Geoffrey, Eorl, Kæna, David, Harle, Clarity, Joseph, Milligan, Gibb, Gooseberry, Spoonbill, Ashdell, Bruana, Grangon, Pleasance, Heron, Basil, Alsike, Wolf, Zoë, Torrent, Columbine, Madder, Robert, Compass, Sólarsteinn, Sextant, Fulke, George, Peregrine, Molly, Falcon, Briar, Spoonbill, Dabchick, Honey, Bruana, Eudes, Fulbert, Grangon, Milligan, Gibb, Ingot, Sagon, Paul, Bulrush, Brightth, Happith, Douglas, Aaron, Nigel, Euan, Musk, Plume, Hobby, Courage, Truedawn, Nathan, Wolf, Geoffrey, Gosellyn, Steve, Axel, Yew, Zoë, Flint, Zephyr, Fletcher, Orkæke, Lunelight, Damson, Agrimony, Æneascoffey, Siskin, Brock, Bruin, Vinnek, Turner, Otday, Havern

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Flaxcloth, linen.
2 The Arder, the river that the Keep is next to.
3 To put an arrow in its eye, to get right to the heart of a matter.
4 Waggonen, waggoned.
5 Peppern, peppered. An example of a new verb to Castle taking the strong rather than the weak suffix in the past tense. Peppern Venison Links, peppered Venison Sausages.
6 Hurthorn, a medium sized evergreen shrub, maximum height and spread mayhap four strides [12 feet, 4m], covered with half span [¼ inch, 5mm] thin thorns, rather like raspberry thorns, that are coated with substances that always cause infected injuries. The entire plant, including its leaves, has the thorns and death has been known to result from overmuch contact. The archives record such a death when a horse threw its rider off into a hurthorn brake. The entire shrub, like holly leaves, is covered in a waxy substance that is highly volatile and explosively flammable.
7 Mercyfruit, hot pepper or chile.
8 Fireseed, the seed of an member of the umbelliferae family unique to Castle. The seed is used ground in food, it is too dangerous to use whole in food though it is so used in pickling spice mixes which are not eaten with the pickles. The vinegar renders the fireseed far less dangerous. Untreated fireseed is so hot an excess can blister the mouth before numbing the taste buds for many days, the blisters can take a lune to heal.
9 Bellfruit, sweet pepper, oft used as a pudding.
10 Centre(s), swing(s) in some parts including the US.
11 The mother, Castle primary, its sun.
12 Shine, sunshine.
13 The Collective, effectively the treasury.
14 Aflait, frightened, afraid.
15 Leisure crafters, those who provide sexual services, a sex worker. On Castle Mistresses and Masters of leisure are respectet crafters, members of a respectet craft guild.
16 Ingeniator, original form of engineer (civil), the crafters who maintain the Keep.
17 Winefruit, grape.
18 Ceël, pronounced sea + ell, (si:ɛl), a small, tasty pear like fruit oft dried and powdered as a vanilla like flavouring.
19 Sagon nut, a nut that grows on the sagon tree which is unique to Castle. All sagon products are mildly narcotic.
20 Yellow sour juice, essentially lemon juice.
21 Peppern, peppered. An example of a new verb to Castle taking the strong rather than the weak suffix in the past tense. Peppern Venison Links, peppered Venison Sausages.
22 Graill, a giant isopod that lives in the sea and uses the tideline possibly to breed between two and four nights a year. They can reach three feet long and forty weights. The plural of graill is graill.
23 Liquid Gold, a light dry hoppy ale reminiscent of lager.
24 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to.
25 Ice calt spirits, essentially 80% v/v vodka. Nearest Earth equivalent Polish spirit.
26 Pheasant Kitchener, pheasant breasts prepared like Chicken Kiev with herbed butter, griselle and truffelle. Butter, shallots and truffles.
27 Spiceweed, spicy green leaf, tender and tasty, widespread in the wild, but cultivated varieties grow lusher, tastier and less bitter than the wild form. There is no Earth equivalent, Unique to Castle.
28 Greenleaf, spring greens, spring cabbage or collards.
29 Snow pie, a pie with a lightly baked meringue top.
30 Gær, a highly aromatic spice, both nut and bark are uest, gær is unique to Castle and tastes and smells vaguely like cinnamon or cassia, (geir).
31 Golden Gær, a strong sweet dessert white wine created by Bowman to which he gave his wife’s name.
32 Pennyroyals, a mint flavoured confection served with the spiced leaf usually after a formal dinner.
33 Syskon(en), sibling(s).
34 Cotte, the Folk word for a female bottom is a cotte. The word derives from apricot and the male form is cot. Apricot fruit oft have a defined cleft like a pair of buttocks. The terms cotte and cot are every day respectable words uest by all. They may also be uest to indicate a single buttock. A woman has a left cotte, a right cotte and a cotte that includes both. She does not have a pair of cottes. The words cotte and cot are singular and plural. Like most but not all Folk words the default is the feminine. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
35 Hardset, cement.

up
13 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos