The Touch of Satin

Printer-friendly version


bella-figura_crepe-satin-silk-1806w-617-new-claret_photo_0_03-58-37-1806w-617 (1).jpg


Why? Because she said so...


images2.jpg
Estelle St. Moritz - She Who Must Be Obeyed
(Besides, you know you want this)


Lyon, France, 1978...

What does one do when they have an embarrassment of riches from Grand-mère’s estate and an insatiable desire to spend it on others? Well, not especially all sorts of others. Almost like a trope-filled story that her late Grand-père might read, Estelle was fascinated with how satin appears draped on a female form… More specifically, how that female form wasn’t necessarily female.

But like all girls growing up in the 60s, Estelle had an attraction to everyone’s favorite Mattel Beauty Queen, Barbie. Her idiosyncratic approach, however, went a tad further than Barbie's designer Ruth Handler had intended. No one would begrudge her if she dressed Ken in Barbie’s clothes; some little girls and even a few boys had thought of that long before she did.

That Grand-mère and Grand-père had a similar arrangement in their boudoir throughout their long, love-filled marriage – he wore her clothes – made her decision almost conclusion oubliée… a foregone conclusion. And of course, money indeed was no object. Pardon if you will the English pun, because none of her models…objected



Abel_1_0_0.jpg

Her first doll, so to speak, was her brother Simon. He was the sole male heir, and as such, was the only boy to carry on Grandpapa’s tradition, which he embraced wholeheartedly. With Estelle’s connections, Simon…Simone married a nice girl from Annecy, and they opened up a Queer Studies Bookshop in Nice.



63c9a155a1154ead9c0125c942a04f13_0.jpg

Soon after, Estelle managed to convince her ex-boyfriend to dress up by promising a cruise. In no time at all he took to satin-like a female impersonator takes to...satin. He married Lois, the activity director, and now he does two shows a night on a Danube River Cruise under the name of Miss MeMuch.



olive-satin-dress-catherine-abel_0_0.jpg

Philippe, her ex-boyfriend's brother, approached Estelle. He had sadly grown out of a childhood pastime when his girlfriend tired of his dressing and ran off with a Renault salesgirl from St.Lo. Estelle not only took it under advisement, but she also took Philippa under her roof, where she acted as Estelle's s Social Planner/Chef/Cat sitter.



catherine-abel-woman-with-cello_u-L-PJG6J90.jpg

Marcel, an out-of-work bass player right there in Paris, got to talking with Estelle while they both had their hair done at Madame Le Fleur's Salon de Coiffure. He downsized, so to speak, and Marceline plays Cello in an all-girl Jazz Quintet in Amiens.



Catherine Abel - Tutt'Art@ (2) (1)_0.jpgCatherine Abel - Tutt'Art@ (2)_0.jpg

By now, Estelle's reputation had preceded her... literally, as she found herself talking to clients in the line at the bank. Calvert's sister Marie had managed to get herself a long-term lingerie modeling gig in Brussels, but only if she could manage somehow to recruit another model who could be her 'twin.' Estelle was happy to help, and Marie and Corinne model and are dating two sisters from Ghent.



DVaBwqtX4AA9_lu_0.jpg

Louis pleaded with Estelle, although truth be told, Estelle would have begged him, La Cinquième was casting a multi-part series based on the "What If" concept of England losing to France in some mythical
conflict. They needed someone sensitive and caring to play the Queen of France during WWII, and
Louis...Louise...avoir le profil. Louise fit the bill for six seasons before becoming the spokesmodel for Perrier.



unnamed_2.jpg

Cary was an accountant from across the Channel in Brighton, and just happened to hear of Estelle's 'son passe-temps' and just wanted to know what it felt like to wear satin. He and his girlfriend own an accounting firm where Nancy and Cari appreciate the advantages of power lingerie.



1-primavera.jpg

Andreas was only a little bit of a disappointment to Estelle in that as a newly-enhanced topless model, she frequently did not wear a gorgeous blouse.



images_36.jpg

Martin had sought help in dressing for his new position as secretary to the Vice President of Marketing Of Peugeot, only to find out the dress code had been changed to office casual. But after Martine's makeover, she retired to a life of silks and satins as Miss Pincheon's new bride.



1-grace.jpg

With her service successful, and with little need to work, she left the business to Phillipa and prepared to retire to Marseilles, but she met a nice young man a few years younger than her at a café in Paris. After a whirlwind romance and a carefully thought-out, and planned discussion, she learned that her lover would have asked much sooner for her help, but for the fear that to be her bride, he had to... you know. She assured Jean that there were ways of 'smoothing' things out.



Satin Doll is a jazz standard written by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn with lyrics by Johnny Mercer.



All Artwork by Catherine Abel

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is like the PBS version of TG Captioned Images...

laika's picture

...what with the elegant art deco pictures and the Duke Ellington reference; Which makes me wonder what sort of girly swag subscribers would get during Pledge Week (and there's the central gag for your next little comical toss-off story...). Cute captions to beautiful painting that at first I thought was a trove of undiscovered works by Tamara De Lempicka; an amazing eccentric and very sexually liberated artist
https://www.wikiart.org/en/tamara-de-lempicka/the-green-turb...
who probably would have participated in Estelle's projects. But then I noticed the differences, these aren't quite as angular as her boarderline-cubist stuff, and there's some touches that would anachronistic in paintings from the 30's. I'd love to be one of these models but I'd probably look more like Le Homme Michelin (I'm not even gonna pretend like I know French) if I was shrouded in Satin. Oh well...
~hugs, Ronni

.
(Ella does my favorite version of SATIN DOLL btw.
Couldn't find a decent YouTube of it though, so here's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofzPuszMbM&t=46s )

Uhhh...

Honestly and truly...??? I half expected Astaire or Kelly to come out and sweep everybody away; especially reading this whilst the Duke Ellington Orchestra was playing that tune!!!

Only the little...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrratatatat

PKB_003b.jpg

Uhhh...

Honestly and truly...??? I half expected Astaire or Kelly to come out and sweep everybody away; especially reading this whilst the Duke Ellington Orchestra was playing that tune!!!

Only the little...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrratatatat

PKB_003b.jpg