Tammy Interludes: Guard of the Thistle - Part 4

Printer-friendly version
Guard of the Thistle  

Book 11: Tammy Interludes
 

 

"Guard of the Thistle"
Part 4

 

Sunday 1st October 2017

Tammy was again careful with her alcohol and rose at five for her run, deciding to do the stretching and warm up in her room before heading for the main gate. She found Cpl Maisie Staines waiting for her.

"I'm sure you're not needed until eight this morning, Corporal?"

"Can I run with you, please, Ma'am? I was told you went out at this time yesterday."

"Come on."

The month had ticked over into October and Tammy felt it was a little darker that morning. Despite her prior warm-up, she kept the pace down as she didn't want to outpace her running companion. She needn't have worried, however, as soon they were chugging along.

"You're not a bad runner, Maisie?"

"I was top of my college, Ma'am, in all the middle distances."

"Please, we're not in the fort now, it's Tammy, right?"

"Yes, Ma'am, Tammy."

"Good, what did you do for your Highers?"

"PE, English, Sociology and French. I scored an B in all of them."

"So why did you join the army?"

"My father was in the forces and it seemed like a guaranteed way out of unemployment."

"With those grades?"

"I was bullied in my secondary school and I wasn't expected to do well in my Standard exams, that was the last year before the exams changed. I put in for the army when I was fifteen as a way of improving myself away from the idiots and bitches at school."

"So you did well?"

"Much better than anyone expected, my teachers were suddenly interested in me but I decided to do my Highers in a college. I started running then and found I was good at it, the army training helped my fitness and focus but they encouraged me to stay in education for at least two more years."

"Err, you had trouble with the wall and the razor wire yesterday?"

"I never liked that course and some of the NCOs here are vicious. I was scared what they would say after I messed up the wall, that's why I got distracted in the wire."

"Have you been with the Black Watch for long?"

"Six months, I was in Catterick before that. I was training to be a PT instructor but they just sent me here and there's no fitness culture."

"That's cruel, did they explain why?"

"The army rarely explains, but I heard it was to do with quotas, they needed a female Corporal here and I was apparently available. I hope I can get back to Catterick soon but, knowing this lot, I could equally end up in Afghanistan next month."

They'd passed the point where Tammy had turned around the previous day and a glance at sports watch showed 6km, she signalled Maisie to turn and head back.

"I'm enjoying this, Tammy, it's not fun on your own and I'm not often allowed out."

"What about your PT course?"

"It's on hold, I had three years done and didn't need to do much more before I qualified."

"Is it only an army qualification?"

"No, it's recognised across all the armed services plus it's transferable to a civilian award."

Tammy suggested they upped the pace as they had already been out for over an hour and neither wanted to miss breakfast. That meant talk had to stop and they ran in near silence. Tammy dropped behind Maisie, clearly a strong runner, and compared the lycra clad girl with the seemingly clumsy Corporal from the previous day. Her hair was tied but swinging free, again a change from the usual tight bun, and Maisie looked a little younger as a result.

Back in her room Tammy quickly showered then dressed in fatigues for breakfast, guessing that would be best. There was no new information on her activities and in the mess Kyle made a point of avoiding her. Today she did go for the hot breakfast but did so in the belief that lunch might not happen, receiving little more than a glance or a nod from those near her.

The Corporal met her outside the officers mess and was herself in standard army dress, the previous running image totally destroyed.

"Off to the obstacle course, Corporal?"

"No, Ma'am, that has been cancelled, there's nothing scheduled."

"Is there a pool here?"

"No, but we can use the town pool. I'd need permission to go off base though and I might be given other duties if you don't need me."

"Can you give me a tour?"

"Of course, Ma'am."

The tour took an hour, but that was because plenty of folk wanted to chat to Tammy, with most not having been able to get near her the previous evening. The honoured guests had stayed in a hotel in Inverness so they were already out of the way, but a good number of serving personnel from units far and wide were still barracked in Fort George for another few days. Not all of them were army either.

Tammy needed a wee so suggested Maisie followed her up to her room. Coming from the bathroom, Tammy's phone rang. The tone was different from the usual. She went to answer it, but there was nothing displayed. Tammy knew then, it was an encrypted call. She unlocked the underscreen and the call was immediately answered.

"Hello?" Tammy answered.

"Standby Miss Smart." A female American voice instructed.

A moment later Dannigan's voice came up. "Miss Smart."

"Yes, Sir."

"I was just talking to Sean, aren't you on your way to the briefing?"

Tammy was instantly confused. "I wasn't told of a briefing. I was told that my activities for the day had been canceled."

"Incorrect. I'm not read in on the briefing parameters, but you are supposed to be. I think you have twenty minutes. Get to it, Smart." Dannigan ordered.

Tammy signed off. "Yes, Sir."

"Is there a problem, Ma'am?" Maisie asked.

Tammy turned to Maisie. "There's a special briefing I need to join, can you find it?"

"Special, Ma'am? I'm not sure that's allowed? I'm not told about such things."

"I don't have that luxury, so let's ensure I can be there." She switched her phone back over, ignoring other messages as she tapped the number for Sir Thomas.

"Sir Thomas? It's Tammy Smart."

"Ah, good morning Miss Smart, what can I do for you?"

"Did you know about the training session here this morning? It's due to start in twenty minutes?"

"I do, although it's outside of my remit, I guess you want in?"

"Yes, Sir Thomas."

"I will make a call, meanwhile I suggest you find the lecture theatre. Have a good day Miss Smart."

"Thank you, Sir."

Maisie wasn't entirely certain what had just happened. "You phoned Sir Thomas Addington? He's a very important man!"

"I learnt a long time ago, Maisie, that if you don't ask then you definitely don't get. Come on, let's get down there."

Ten minutes later they were outside the room, the notice indicated that Top Secret clearance was needed.

"I can't go in there, Ma'am."

"Oh, and we can't get your clearance bumped up on a Sunday morning, can we?"

A head appeared around the door. "Lieutenant Smart?"

"Yes."

"The Major extended an invite for you to attend this briefing."

"Thank you. One minute."

"Corporal Staines; be back here in two hours please, I may have tasks for you."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Tammy opened the door and slipped in, taking a seat towards the rear. A few heads spun and spotted her, causing a deal of chatter.

"Silence please. You may have noticed Lieutenant Smart at th' rear. She is cleared for th' briefing and here on orders." Major Elliot looked around the room and ensured he had their full attention.

"Now, let's take a look at current terrorist activity in th' Five Eyes nations."

Tammy didn't recognise any of the speakers, but knew enough of the subject areas to be concerned. One piece of intel concerned another planned attack on the European traffic control systems, although the details were scarce. A similar attack near London three years earlier had interrupted Tammy's Christmas break and led to her activities with the intelligence services. Sitting in a special forces briefing didn't feel odd to her at all and she absorbed the information, filing it away in the cubbyholes of her mind.

Tammy was caught by the Major as she left the room, close to ten in the morning.

"How was tha' Lieutenant?"

"Interesting, I perhaps shouldn't say that I'm familiar with some of those groups and the prominent individuals."

"Tha's what I was told. I already knew yer clearance was adequate for y' to even step into the room, but there was a question o' need-to-know. A Captain yesterday tol' me y' didn't need t' know."

"I don't need to guess who that was, what changed your mind?"

"A call from an old friend."

"Friends in the right places, Sir, it makes the world go around."

"I'm nay sure Newton, Einstein or even Hawking would agree, but aye. All tha' bein' said, keep it all to y'self."

"Understood Sir." Tammy saluted

Elliot returned the salute and dug a card out of a pocket. "Off y' go then."

Their exchange had been observed, at a polite distance, by several of the attendees and Tammy's Totty status had moved up a few notches, although they guessed she was moving in different circles than themselves.

Tammy pocketed the card then looked around, Maisie was stood some distance away. "I fancy a coffee, is there a mess or a coffee shop we can both use?"

"No, Ma'am."

"Fine, let's go back to my room, I have some emergency supplies."

Tammy now dealt with her messages, which had increased in number. She tapped a quick reply.
 

 
A separate message from her father arrived asking if she'd be home in time for dinner, she replied with 'DYK', guessing that she could be stuck in Inverness till late. A scheduled return time of 2pm meant the plane hadn't left Birmingham yet and, with executive hire, was highly likely to be delayed.

"Maise, do you have a business card?"

"A card, no, I'm not entitled, Ma'am."

"Well take one of mine and can you send me your contact info please."

"Why, Ma'am?"

"Because I might request you accompany me on a special operation sometime!"

Her phone rang.

"Yes Colonel?"

"I thought you might join me for coffee in the Officers Mess?"

"That would mean Corporal Staines couldn't join us?"

"It would, the exception couldn't be justified on this occasion as there are some confidential matters I'd like to discuss."

"Understood, Sir."

Tammy quickly shed her fatigues and walked into the bathroom in just her undies, ignoring Maisie. She sprayed a little deodorant then grabbed her dress uniform from the wardrobe, buttoning herself first into a clean blouse.

"I'll go, Ma'am."

"Wait, we can walk down together."

The girl was clearly uncomfortable but Tammy wasn't sure if that was because of her near nakedness or because she was an officer, perhaps both? Regardless, it didn't take Tammy long to make herself presentable. She finished with a dab of pale pink lipstick and a spray of eau.

"Come on, I'd best not keep the old man waiting much longer."

Nervously Maisie laughed. "Oh, sorry, Ma'am."

"What for? I first met Sean MacTaggart in a London bar, as a civilian, I'll put on a show for the idiots in uniforms downstairs but to me he's the guy in the armchair with a glass of Scotch. I'd like to know how many of them would actually fare in battle? I've been there, I've had weapons pointed at me and the intention was to erase me from the planet. I shot, been shot at and lived to tell the story to a hundred psychologists."

"A hundred, Ma'am?"

"Okay, more like half a dozen. It wasn't pleasant. All I did was help protect the innocents and I was rewarded with some self-important twats crawling over my actions and inner thoughts. I think the moral of that story is never to intervene unless you have a get-out-of-jail-free card. Even then it's probably best to get out of the way, I'm sure the subsequent interrogation is easier?"

Tammy opened the bedroom door. "Let's go Corporal."

Tammy told Maisie to head for her own mess, otherwise where could the girl go?

Colonel MacTaggart was holding court with Major Elliot and another officer Tammy hadn't recognised.

"Ah, Miss Smart, good of you to join us." The words 'at last' seemed to be there.

"Not at all Sir, I hope you didn't mind me freshening up?"

"Hmmm, I understand you had to ask to get into the briefing earlier?"

"Yes, I knew nothing about it until I received information from an uncle. Just ensure my entry, I made a call and requested access."

"You were supposed to be there, Lieutenant, and should have been given a sealed instruction to attend. This was the main purpose of your invite this weekend, to get a current update from us. There is a second briefing at thirteen-hundred that you are also supposed to attend."

"May I ask; how come I was led to believe this was a weekend of being arm candy plus surprise fitness and arms tests? I was given no itinerary at all."

"That is why I have asked the Major, who you know, and Colonel Fairwright, who is Captain Fielding's commanding officer, to join me. Whilst I alone know why you were originally slated to attend this weekend, I had no problem with confirming to the Major that you needed to be in that briefing but your call to Sir Thomas was a little surprising?"

"It was the most expedient way to see if I could attend, Colonel."

"Given that he's in the civilian field and the briefing was military, I'm not sure I'd agree entirely with your methodology, Miss Smart, but your instinct was correct. My guess is that you would have gone home today feeling that apart from some social grazing it was a complete waste of time?"

"Indeed, so why didn't anyone tell me this weekend was an intelligence opportunity dressed up as a social event?"

"Ah, that was Captain Fielding's responsibility."

"Ah, I was beginning to suspect that much."

"Indeed. Colonel Fairwright?"

"Thank you, whilst under normal circumstances this would be a simple disciplinary matter, and any courses could be re-arranged, I'm led to believe that your military rank is honorary and that you are really a civilian, Miss Smart?"

"Not quite, Sir, my rank is genuine even if I seem to have bypassed normal training, but I participate with NATO personnel in several countries and undertake training when possible. My situation is rather complicated but for this weekend, and for several weeks earlier this month, I was a soldier. I was at Wattisham earlier this year for training and I've been to other bases for specialist training. Meanwhile I am available for ad hoc deployment where my particular skills would be useful."

"I see, but would you have, er, done anything that might have upset Captain Fielding?"

"I told him he wasn't getting any sex this weekend, if that's what you're implying?"

"Ah, er, yes, I see."

"He was trying to be too familiar but he's not the same man I was with back in June, on a course. Something's got to him?"

Colonel MacTaggart looked at Tammy oddly. "Does Captain Fielding know your history, Miss Smart?"

"I doubt it, but is that relevant?"

"It might be, how we deal with it is a different matter."

The other two present looked at Sean MacTaggart . "Sorry, gents, but that is personnel confidential and may not be relevant at all. I just wanted to clarify with the Lieutenant in case Captain Fielding had reason to form a grudge against her for non-professional reasons."

"There could be another factor, Sir. Perhaps this has something to do with Colonel Cooper? His court martial is coming up this week and I now employ his daughter in my company."

"Oh, who knows?"

"Cooper found out, and I informed the Security Service."

"So we'll assume the Russians know?"

Major Elliot shook his head. "Yer out-o-date, Sean. Tha's n' longer true."

"Even so, has the Captain been in touch with Cooper in the past month or two?"

"We'll have to check with Colchester. I take it Lieutenant Smart was involved in the altercation in Thurso?"

"I was there. He needed to be stopped. I wanted to keep the daughter out of it."

"So you were manipulating him, that's not sensible when army officers are concerned."

"Nothing was straightforward that day. Subtle measures to prevent him entering the area failed and I was left to my own devices, unfortunately."

"Gents, Miss Smart, let's not try to prejudge matters. Colonel Fairwright, could you find out what the Captain's problem is? Miss Smart, I suggest you make yourself available for a briefing."

"Yes, Sir. One other thing. How much was he told of my recent travels? He made comments."

MacTaggart sighed. "I did mention your broad location but not your activities nor purpose."

"He seems to think need-to-know only goes to him, Sir."

Fairwright stood up. "I believe I'll get into this. Lieutenant, a pleasure. Gentlemen."

"Perhaps I should see about an early lunch?" Tammy suggested.

MacTaggart nodded. "Accompany us when you're done, we're going directly to the briefing from here."

Tammy left the mess, she still had an hour before they would start lunch, and she hadn't managed a coffee - the stewards had kept their distance from the foursome once the meeting was underway.

Maisie was walking towards her but wasn't happy.

"Can we talk privately, Ma'am?"

"My room, Corporal."

"Aye, Ma'am."

Tammy waited until she had put the travel kettle on, with enough water for two cups, before sitting down facing Maisie across her room's low table.

"What's up?"

"I was taken to the guard room and told I'm going on a charge."

"What?"

"Numerous offences, they said; time-keeping, going off-base without permission, leaving my post and failing to follow orders."

"That's ridiculous?"

"I told them, but a Captain had submitted a full complaint and the Warrant Officer said he had no choice but to enter the charges."

"It sounds like you're being setup?"

"Yes, and I would like to talk freely, Ma'am?"

"Of course."

"Did you set me up?"

"Me, no! I promise you, Maisie, that we have both been got at over this weekend. And my suspicion is that the same Captain is responsible."

"But you're not on a charge?"

"No, and they would find it difficult to get to me like that, but I was apparently supposed to leave here this afternoon thinking the whole weekend had been a waste of time, and perhaps you were just collateral damage?"

"So someone was messing with you and didn't care about me?"

"That's exactly it. What's next for you?"

"I'm to report back to the WO after lunch when he will have prepared the charges. I'm not to leave the base or discuss it with anyone."

"But you're sat here?"

"I am, because I thought, I hoped, I could trust you, Ma'am."

"You can. Let's finish our coffee."

There was a loud bang on the door and Tammy was ordered to open up. She reached into her bag and pulled out the Glock 26 from the secret compartment. Maisie's eyes went wide and she was clearly frightened, Tammy waved her into the bathroom before she unlocked the door and threw it open, her weapon at her hip.

"I suggest you find a very good reason for busting your way in here."

The Sergeant had seen the weapon and hadn't expected it.

"I'm sorry Ma'am, I was told Corporal Staines had come in here. I have been told to arrest her."

"Sergeant, you are to report back and tell whoever that they are to contact me if they would like to speak to the Corporal, understood?"

"Aye, Ma'am." He glanced at the weapon again before backing out. Tammy re-locked the door and suggested Maisie come out of hiding.

"What's going on Ma'am?"

"I suspect someone is scared and they're doing their best to muddy the waters. That's not clever when you're a diver."

"Sorry, Ma'am, I don't understand?"

Tammy picked up her phone and felt in the discarded fatigues for a card, before dialing a number.

"Major Elliot, it's Tammy Smart?"

"Lieutenant, is this urgent"?

"It is Sir, it looks like a certain Captain is trying to frighten folk. I am looking after a very scared Corporal who is apparently on a charge for simply being conscientious." There was a bang on her door, followed by "Military Police, open up!"

"I heard that Lieutenant, I'll accept it's urgent." The phone went dead. Tammy's Glock was laying on the table and she debated leaving it here but she could hear a key being inserted. Tammy grabbed the weapon and pushed Maisie back into the bathroom before taking a defensive position herself.

The door swung open and two Red Caps entered, one armed with a Glock 17 and the other with a Tazer. A red dot appear on Tammy's blouse, she ducked out of the way just as the barbs flew.

"Shit!" Tammy considered her options.

"Stand down! Stand down! Withdraw!"

Tammy was expecting one of the Red Caps to appear in the doorway where she was squatting when she heard the shout. She carefully eased herself back onto her feet and looked into the room but it was clear. She made a decision to present herself, weapon down, but came face to face with the Major.

"Don't go waving weapons around here!"

"It's a military base!"

"And you were supposed to declare all your weapons?"

"I 'forgot' I had my other Glock."

"I bet that's not registered?"

"Oh it is fully registered to me, Sir. I even have qualification sheets on file."

"You have put me in a difficult position, Lieutenant?"

"You, myself and the good Corporal are ALL in difficult positions, Major. Had this weekend been managed properly then none of US would be in this position at all, Sir. Being that we are definitely here, now. Where is Fielding?"

"He can't be found."

"He may be trained, but he is NOT magical. My guess is that a proper search hasn't been conducted. Please sort out this mess and have the MPs look for him?"

"Be careful, Miss Smart, t MPs have identified you and they would really like to do something to you, apparently you pulled a similar stunt at Wattisham?"

"I see the Colonel Cooper fan club meeting is being held here as well? Why didn't anyone say? If it's cosplay then I might need some time to sort myself out? As for the MP's, I'm starting to lose my sense of cooperation with them. Back at Wattisham they destroyed my clothes and stuck me with the bill. I played their game last time, but not again."

"Calm down Lieutenant, we will sort this out. How about you surrender the weapon to me and we'll book it into the armoury? You don't have any more, do you?"

"No."

"I understand your bags were searched on arrival, although that's not normal practice, but would there be any worth in searching them again?"

"Unlikely, Sir."

"I'll take that on trust, now where is Corporal Staines?"

Tammy looked around and waved Maisie to come forward. "Sir?"

"Corporal, report to the Guard's Room and this will be sorted out. Please don't go anywhere else."

"I need a wee." Maisie disappeared back into the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

Tammy made sure the safety was on then handed over the pistol. Tammy followed him down to the armoury and booked the weapon in, marking it as an oversight. The next stop was the Officers Mess for lunch.

Tammy's second briefing started with a thrilling hour on Islamic State operations in Europe. The second hour began with Russian trawler and factory ship activity in the North Sea, most of this was new to her so Tammy understood this was a topic requiring her undivided attention.

Twenty minutes later, the briefer announced. "Most of you will be familiar with the background, of course, but what's new are the rumours of vessels of third country or unknown affiliation performing the same operations in the area. None are using AIS beacons away from ports and we can't rely on the AIS data we have received."

"Unknown affiliation?" An officer in Naval uniform echoed.

The briefer shook his head. "Previous port-call observations reported dealing with several crew members, all spoke some English but the vessels flew varying flags of convenience. There is confusion as to whether it is a single vessel that changes identity or up to three boats."

"What is it about the vessel or vessels that makes them different?" Tammy found herself asking.

The briefer looked to Tammy. "To most of the observers, the vessel, or vessels, were a Russian design of trawler but the the descriptions of the vessels do not match any of the known vessels, although that is not uncommon in itself. Secondly; the crew descriptions are contrary to the usual crews formats, most former-Soviet flagged vessels are crewed by a single nationality. Unfortunately no full crew lists exist but there are visual reports of mixed crew ethnicities, mostly European, but some Asian and North Africans have been seen. Thirdly, there are no reports of the vessel, or vessels, transferring their load to a factory ship or discharging in port. It is possible that this could be an independently financed, non-affiliated, group."

"Another question, if I may?" Tammy asked and received a nod. "What ports are known to be called on?"

The briefer looked to his material then listed. "Scrabster, Kirkwall, Stromness and Lerwick are noted ports, most recently we have reports from Aberdeen and Inverness. Also, in some of the ports, individuals may have embarked or disembarked."

"Human Traffickers?" A male Army officer questioned.

"They are not travelling in groups. Single persons only, none of the contemporary reports raised any issues, that is why the reports are so vague." The briefer explained.

A female Naval officer asked. "Sir, do you even have a name for the vessel?"

"That's part of the first problem. Along with the conflicting descriptions, conflicting names. So far, three names have been recorded: Helga IV, Inga III, and Sofia XIX. A second set of names of Hilda, Inca and Sophie were also recorded in one location, but there are doubts about that particular individual's notes. It's regretted that there are no clear high resolution photos of the vessels as the speculation is that the name or names might also be changing for each port. Unfortunately we don't currently have an intelligence facility in the Highlands and rely on Humint from untrained port operatives." The briefer said then pointed to the screen behind him. "This is a general look of the vessel."

On the screen were three vessels, stills from cheap CCTV systems, all three looked similar, but it was a common design from Russian shipyards. Could it be the same ship? Tammy studied the pictures intently, the recent reported visit to Scrabster was relevant to her.

"The vessel caught our attention from the Scrabster report following the tip of a terrorist aircraft en route to Glasgow. The alert was fortunately false, the aircraft in question was small private plane piloted by one of our own operatives and a few simple checks would have confirmed that. Unfortunately our American Allies had to get involved, bloody fiasco that turned out." The briefer said.

Tammy groaned. "Don't I know it."

A few heads close by turned to look.

MacTaggart leaned close. "Now you know why you needed to be here."

"Not human traffickers, they're smuggling operatives and assets. Infiltrators." Tammy guessed.

The briefer concluded his material then stepped down, ending the session.

She walked out of the darkened room and was temporarily blinded by the sun through a window, it wasn't late but the sun was already dipping. There was no sign of Maisie, although Tammy hadn't made any arrangements, but right now her time in Fort George was done. She avoided the group that was now following her out of the lecture and headed up the stairs to her room.

It was clear that someone had been in, although an effort had been made to disguise this. Most obvious, her hairbrush had been next to her open bag and was now inside it. She resisted the urge to check the hidden compartment of her case and made the assumption that surveillance may have been left.

It didn't make sense for Tammy to be targeted, and she'd had a promise from Sir Thomas that the phoney war was over, but he was a civilian and this was a military operation.

"Boys, playtime is over and I strongly suggest you don't try to play any more games with me - and don't ever piss me off, this girl's vengeance is absolute." No-one answered, but why should they, how could they?

She went first into the bathroom and retrieved her toiletries and make-up, putting everything away in the appropriate case. Next her clean lingerie and hosiery went into a case, folded. Tammy reached the wardrobe and started to take down and fold the clothes that could go in her case, whilst frocks went into the dress bag. She finally took her white flight uniform, ready to change, but found a thumbprint under a lapel.

"You are so done!"

She reached for the internal phone and called the Duty Desk.

"This is Lieutenant Smart. Someone had been in my room, searched it and disturbed my belongings."

"Ma'am, that would not happen without you being informed."

"Really?"

"Yes, Ma'am, could you be mistaken?"

"Either this was done without your knowledge or you're an awful liar. I have evidence and I will be taking this further. Please send an orderly up for my bags, I'm leaving. Also please inform the armoury that I will be collecting my weapons shortly."

Tammy was still wearing the dress uniform so packed her white suit into the dress bag. It needed dry cleaning regardless, but the stain infuriated her all the more. A look around her room confirmed she had collected all of her belongings. There was a tap on the door a minute later and Maisie was stood there, she'd been crying.

"What have they done?" Tammy put her arms around the girl and pulled her close. It may not have been appropriate but it seemed necessary. She pulled Maisie forward enough for her to clear the door before Tammy closed it.

"I'm on a charge!"

"I thought it was all getting sorted out?"

"They said the charges stand until I can prove they were brought maliciously!"

"What? Bloody hell, Maisie! I think you need to get out of here?"

"I can't do that, I'm signed up for three more years."

"Sod that, you need help."

There was another tap at the door. Tammy sent the girl into the bathroom to freshen her face. She opened the door and a soldier saluted her.

"I'm here to collect your bags, Ma'am."

"Good. Mind those, the dresses are priceless! I trust my bags will be kept unopened?"

"Of course, Ma'am."

With ease he picked everything up and started walking.

"Maisie, do you know a local taxi firm?"

"City Cabs, they're on 222222."

"Good, can you get us a cab to the airport?"

Maisie made the call from the desk, the controller told her it would take ten minutes. Tammy could hear this and signalled fifteen, just in case. Maisie passed this on and the job was accepted.

"Let's go."

"Where to?"

"The armoury."

Tammy received a ticking off for not declaring her Glock 26. However both that, the 19 with magazines and knife were returned without any administrative issues. As she didn't have a holster she put the smaller 26 in the belt to her skirt, albeit covered by her jacket. The larger 19 went into her shoulder bag. The knife in its sheath was secured in her sleeve, and could be transferred later. Right now she needed to look unarmed, despite circumstances.

They walked to the desk guard by the main entrance, Tammy wasn't surprised to find a pair of MPs there.

"Leaving Ma'am?"

"Yes. Frankly I'm at a loss as to how the Army managed the level of incompetence that I've experienced this weekend? Isn't it supposed to be a professional service? Let me put it very clearly, I'm leaving and no-one will make any attempt to stop me. Secondly, if she wishes, Corporal Staines will be going with me. We'll sort out the issue of compensation afterwards - my solicitor can handle that."

"That's not how it works here Ma'am."

"Oh I've seen the 'works' that go on here!"

From behind her, Tammy could sense movement.

"WHERE IS YOUR RESPECT? MISS SMART?"

She ducked and spun away as Kyle attacked, noting that the MPs were doing nothing. He glared and went for her. The military skirt limited movement, but Tammy wasn't completely hobbled. She pivoted and jammed her right heel to Fielding's instep, causing him to yelp in pain as he landed on his face. Tammy saw Maisie smiling.

"Got him again, Ma'am."

Tammy gave her a wink and closed in on the man on the floor. He had clearly been winded and shaken by both her kick and subsequent contact with the stone floor.

"Flexi cuffs?"

She looked at the MPs, who still did nothing. Kyle was getting up so Tammy stamped on his shoulder, ramming the heel of her shoe down hard to pin him down.

"Restrain him or I'll put one through his knee!"

"Do as she says!"

Colonel MacTaggart arrived, somewhat out of breath. Finally the MPs moved forward and restrained the fallen Captain.

"Lieutenant, would you have genuinely knee-capped the Captain?"

"Looks like we don't get to find out today, Sir. Now, can we resolve a small problem?"

-----

The taxi dropped them by the staff gate and Tammy used her Highlands Air ID to pass through. Maisie was behind with her kit bag.

"Welcome back Miss Smart. I see you signed up?"

Geoff McDonough was holding the keys to her Epic.

"Indeed, but it seems my assassination training will have to wait as I'm due back in university tomorrow."

He helped the girls load the plane. "She's fully fuelled, I understand they took her down to Exeter."

"Thanks Geoff, I'm just pleased she's back here."

Tammy took the left hand seat and suggested Maisie took the right hand one. "Buckle up and pop your headset on whilst I do the checks."

The logbook showed the plane had barely been on the ground for an hour so Tammy quickly assured herself that it was safe to fly. The farthest it had gone, however, was Newquay.

"Inverness Tower this is G-KTFL, booking to Wick."

"Confirmed G-KTFL. The wind is twelve knots direction 270 degrees. You are cleared to taxi when ready to runway 12/30."

Tammy got on with her preparations and soon was moving to the runway.

"You're flying?"

"Yes, Maisie, now sit back and enjoy."

"Inverness Tower, G-KTFL ready for take-off, runway 12/30."

"G-KTFL, cleared for take-off. Outbound heading zero-eight-five and climb to Angels Ten. Fly safely!"

Tammy threw on the thrust and they hurtled forward. The tower had put her on the shorter runway and there was a cliff edge at the far end of 700m. It was a little short for the Epic, but she had trained for this. With 50m of runway remaining she pulled up and all Maisie could see was the Moray Firth as Tammy banked towards the North.

She levelled out at ten thousand feet and set the autopilot.

"There, Katie knows the way home from here. What music do you like, Maisie?"
 
 
[Tammy returns in a new story 'Ch-Changes' soon]
 
Chchanges-logo-pt1.png
 

up
414 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

.

Miyata's picture

.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

Bond. Jane Bond.

Miyata's picture

Good for her letting them now know that they can never 'use' her again. As for Fielding, hopefully he understands that the Female of the species holds all the cards. Or look at this way, human beings are carnivores. So if he ever wants fellatio again, he'd better realize it.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

Hmmmm

... i wonder if Tammy is recruiting her own team to aid her in her missions.I also wonder if she's going to call her friends for some intel about the "good" Captain. Nice work on this series, I can't wait to see what happens next!

i think there are benefits to

smdani4mm's picture

i think there are benefits to be able to disappear like the ones at Ram Rock Island did. Tammy continues to find enemies in different places. the MPs should be put up on charges for standing there while a superior (in rank) officer tried to abuse a junior (in rank but not in skills) one.

Dani

SmDani4

That's interesting

The Epic went down to Newquay.
Now who do we know who lives in that neck of the woods?

Thanks for a great story ladies.

Newquay

shiraz's picture

Five Tammyverse points for spotting that!

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I was wondering about that myself.

WillowD's picture

Not that I remembered that Heather and Sophie live around there, but why was this apparently extraneous detail being added in a story that has very little in the way of extra details.

I look so, SO forward to the possibility of seeing more of these two.

Maisie

WillowD's picture

I hope Maisie becomes a new regular character for the series. I like her. She strikes me as someone that is very competent. She would make a very good minion for Tammy.

I look forward to finding out more about Captain Fielding too. I realize he is probably just an idiot with an over inflated sense of ego but he may be something more or be an easily manipulated tool for the bad guys.

I have just re-read all of the Tammyverse and Unaccounted Gains books in the past two weeks. This one chapter has many links onto past and ongoing events. I am really looking forward to future stories.

And I'll repeat what I said in another comment. I hope Maisie becomes a regular in them.

Edit: Oops. I said that at the beginning of this comment, not in another comment. Oops.

Looks like the “old boys” club........

D. Eden's picture

Is still trying to protect it’s own to Tammy’s dismay.

She needs to divest herself of her British affiliations and spend more time with her American cousins.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

not good

I hope that's the end of Tammy's involvement with the military

DogSig.png

Not me

WillowD's picture

I think giving Tammy a military identity is a great idea.

Most of the U.K. military people Tammy has had bad encounters with were either obeying orders from above or were really lousy officers who nobody liked. And lousy officers seem to have their careers shattered when they tangle with Tammy.

Tammy appears to be turning into a secret operative, similar in many ways to James Bond. And, like Commander Bond, having a military identity gives her access to a lot of information and areas that are off limits to civilians.

I am beginning to think that, on the British side, Tammy is, or soon will be, doing work for the British civilian agencies, the British military and N.A.T.O. Of course, she is also going to be doing stuff for her American uncle. I think she is going to become a trouble shooter and investigator that gets sent in when things get fishy.

I am looking forward to if and when Maisie and Joey meet. I can easily see Tammy getting Maisie assigned to her as an aid for whenever she does work on the military side. And I wouldn't be surprised if Joey becomes more involved as well because Joey seems to be very good so far at talking to no one but Tammy about any odd things she sees.

I am really, really looking forward to reading future Tammy stories.

so

Maddy Bell's picture

this has raised as many questions as answers!

Has Maisie gone AWOL or did we all miss something?
There must be more going on with Fielding than just a bruised ego but what?
How will Tammy get involved with things this time? Looks to me like her diving and flying skills will be put to the test before long!

Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I don't think Maisie went AWOL

WillowD's picture

Colonel MacTaggart assigned Colonel MacTaggart to assist Tammy. Tammy ordered Maisie to go with her. Maisey was obeying the direct order of an officer. And as long as the Colonel backs them up I don't think an AWOL charge would stick.

And, yes, I'm really hoping we see more chapters sooner rather than later too. It wouldn't be the first time Shiraz has immediately started publishing the next story.

ThistleTinder

Great job Shiraz and Snowfall! Thistle down is a great tinder for starting a fire. The Tammy stories continue to have flow, intrigue and power to engage (my) interest. One of the great series here on BCTS!

Warmest regards and highest respect

As I've Said Before

joannebarbarella's picture

She's Tammy Smart, not Maxwell Smart, but maybe Maisie will become her "99".

Fielding must be working for someone and Cooper comes to mind.

Great! They're at it again!

Jamie Lee's picture

What is it with these AHs? Colonel MacTaggart suggestively ordered Tammy to attend the weekend for the dinner, and unknown testing, only to once again have to deal with Kyle being an ass.

How did Uncle Paul learn Tammy hadn't been told by Kyle that she was supposed to attend that first briefing? Supposedly Paul should not have known who was attending. He may have known she was going for the weekend, but to a meeting? Maybe he and MacTaggart had talked?

And maybe she was once again bait in the snare? Bait that caused Kyle to show his hand, show that he was part of the original group trying to stick it to Tammy?

Kyle is a slow learner, slow to recognize when he is out classed by the person he attacks. And slow to learn how his actions against Tammy may have ended his military career. Especially his last attack. Oh, and he may not be alone, as two MPs may be joining him. And if they aren't drummed out, their new assignment won't be a happy one.

Maisie has no future with that group, they aren't taking it kindly that a woman was slotted in the Cpl slot there. Is that what Tammy told the Colonel? Did she ask for Maisie to be assigned to her? Or did MacTaggart also see that Maisie needed to get out of there and assigned Maisie to Tammy?

Inquiring minds need the next installment of this story posted soonest. Waiting to see what pile Tammy steps into next will be hard.

Others have feelings too.

How did Uncle Paul learn...

WillowD's picture

That's easy. His team is looking out for her via electronic surveillance. Even though they are officially friends, I suspect that they already know how to get into every important British system.

Tammy vs Kyle

It think I lost count of the final score, but in boxing terminology, it was definitely a knockout.

I concur with another commenter that Tammy may be eyeing up Maisie as an assistant for the covert side of her activities up North, feeling she was being wasted on that base. In time, Tammy may be able to wangle a security upgrade for her, and maybe some relevant training (or both attend the next training together).

But before all that, Maisie will likely have to meet the family, as it'll be a few weeks before the two storey + basement + shop unit is ready.

Given the suspicious ship traffic in the North Sea, perhaps one mission could be Tammy flying her little Czech Air over the North Sea while Maise snaps happy with a zoom lens, then take the Mini up to Scrabster and park it at a convenient point for when the ship docks.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Transphobia rears it's ugly head

Julia Miller's picture

It seems that Capt Fielding found out that he had sex with a Trans woman, and his transphobia has gone into overdrive. He has been trying to discredit Tammy the entire time at the base, and now has no problems wanting to beat her up to prove his manhood. Not only that, but he told the MPs that Tammy is trans, and they just stood by watching him fight her, without stepping in. I'm sure this is going to end badly for Capt Fielding, but it's all his fault and attitude that has brought him where he now is with her.