The Patsy Project. Book 2. Patsy Power Parts 31 & 32

Printer-friendly version

Patsy Power Part 31

Friday morning we dressed in casual clothing and went out to the care home. As well Joanne, Minh, Nina, Riordan, Julia and me, we had been joined by Jake and Angela. We had our acoustic guitars with us but left them in the bus as we visited the premises. Riordan and Julia were welcomed as old friends and they introduced the rest of us.

We chatted with the children and were then shown a large meeting room with some chairs at the end. We went and grabbed our guitars and sat on stools while the place filled. As well as staff and children there were several reporters and photographers. Riordan asked them not to spoil the set with shutter sound and flashes. When the doors were closed the head matron introduced us as members of the great band ‘Amazon’ and left us to it. The media looked a bit quizzical when we started with ‘Puff the Magic Dragon’ and some old folk songs. We then did the acoustic versions of some of my songs and a couple of Riordans then finished off with the first outing on ‘Serendipity’, much to the enjoyment of the children. We stood up and took a bow, the matron thanked us and we took our leave, fielding lots of questions from the media.

We went back to the hotel for lunch and then out to the Arena to do a sound check. It was new venue and the facilities were fantastic. Everything looked good; Tom had shipped everything to the Arena and we sounded good as well. Back to the hotel for dinner and then back to the Arena, We were all outfitted in the same colour tonight for the first time and when the time came to start I went out front with Minh and the band formed up behind. We played the quieter set and, ending on ‘Changing’ we did the addition of the rest of the band and played the rest of the set, finishing with the ‘Maximum Dance’ encore. The rest of the time in Seattle we all started on stage and I had the SG on the whole show – we were all now, officially – ‘Amazon’.

The Sunday paper was interesting to see when Angela pointed it out to us. There was an article titled ‘Amazon, the band with three heads’. It went on to talk about the music in the show being slow and frantic and then spoke about our acoustic set as being sweet and lilting. There were a couple of pictures of us in full rock mode and one of a line-up of girls with acoustic guitars in their laps. It seemed that the matron had let it slip that Riordan and Julia were long-term donors to the homes and she was captioned as the ‘Angel of Mercy’. Jake joked that, as I was known to some as the ‘Angel of Joy’ he was sure that we were all safe from harm with two angels in our midst.

Monday morning we flew to Chicago where we ran into a barrage of reporters at the airport, all wanting to know about the evolution of the band and the involvement with the care homes. We answered as best we could and finally got the bus to the hotel. Our two buses were now branded ‘Amazon on tour’ and the one from Seattle was now on its way to Detroit. Our support crews and Carl and the boys were using separate transport for now. Our dates in Chicago had been extended and we were due to play the Thursday through to Monday again. It all went to plan and the fans lapped up the new sound of the old songs and immediately folded the old ‘Party’ numbers into the ‘Amazon’ legend. By the end of our time in Chicago we had honed the set into a fine tuned piece of entertainment and had started to add little bits that built it further. In our off time we were busy writing new material that would arise after New York with an album planned as soon as we could.

We flew in to Detroit on the Tuesday and the, now usual, reporters and interview appointments. It was a good job we no longer needed lots of practise for the stage side of things as we were getting plenty of practise in fielding awkward questions. We had been booked for a care home visit on the Wednesday and, this time, had to get a security guard to limit the number of reporters allowed in the hall. We were introduced and did our little set to lots of laughter and applause from the children, were thanked by the matron and went on our way.

The concert venue was to be a large playing area with attached theme park and amusements. When we got there on Thursday morning we had a quick look at the stage and performance aspect before we were ushered into a large hall that was filled with cars. There, in pride of place, was the Thunderbird with our original picture behind it but all around were new and classic cars with the same picture, photo-shopped with a different dealer name, behind them. A large group of executive types applauded us as we walked in and Peter came over and gave me a big hug. “Patsy” he said “You have no idea what we have achieved since I last saw you in Nashville. The ‘Happy place to get your car’ campaign has taken off and our sales have improved dramatically, especially among female buyers. The company liked your idea so much that they negotiated with Simon to roll it out nationally and all the cars here represent the dealers that are now on board. The company has put strict guidelines in place to ensure that a dealership is actually a happy place and, of course, there are the usual die-hard fuddy-duddies; that I can understand, having been one myself recently.”

I told him that Lorraine was still in Hollywood to pursue a film career but introduced him to Riordan and Julia as the core members of ‘Amazon’. Riordan had met him before and told him it was the visit to his dealership and our video there of the acoustic set that altered her own take on life to be more inclusive and caring. He commented on the article about the ‘Angel of Mercy’ and said he was honoured to be in front of two such talented angels. He then led us over to the executives who shook our hands and some hugged us and the manager of marketing took a microphone and said “Ladies and gentlemen, it is my great pleasure to be here today to honour the group of girls who used to be called ‘Innocent Girls’ but are now part of that legendary band ‘Amazon’, who I am looking forward to hearing tonight.”

“Patsy and Minh, here in front of you, came up with the advert that kicked off our national campaign. I am ashamed to say that they did it in about six months less and fifty thousand dollars cheaper than my department could achieve at that time. I can tell you that my department now have orders to stop taking expensive lunches! The girls are coming to the end of a national tour that has grabbed headlines wherever they touch down and we have taken this opportunity to show off our product here today and to award Patsy and Minh a special bonus to show our appreciation. I will now give them each these cheques to use as they wish.” So saying he shook my hand and handed me a mock cheque made out for a hundred thousand dollars and then did the same for Minh. To say we were shocked was an understatement.

He handed me the microphone and I said “I am not usually stuck for words but I am at present. My rise in the entertainment field has been a series of happenstance events, with things that have happened, people I have met, and opportunities that have been sent my way to make a difference. A small group of us have played acoustic sets at care homes recently and have an appointment to play at another in New York. I have never had the opportunity or assets before in my life to make the gesture I will now make but in following the premise of a little song we perform to the children, I am going to allow this moment of serendipity to pass this cheque to Riordan and Julia, to add to their next donation to the homes so that the children can have a better life.” Riordan and Julia gave me a big hug and I passed the microphone to Minh who just said “Whatever she just said!” and handed hers to them as well, receiving big hugs also.

I took the microphone back and said “We thank you for this, we really do appreciate it but I am afraid that we have a show to prepare for and I know that those who will be in the audience tonight will appreciate it when we get it right!” We said our farewells and made our way back to the stage.

Part 32

We took the long way round to the stage area, passing the vendors stands. It took quite a while as many wanted us to sign albums and DVDs that they stashed away. On some of the clothing stands we were asked to try on tops and jackets and there were many photos taken. At Pierre’s music stand all of us guitarists were given one to hold while a picture was taken in front of the stand and Joanne and Julia were snapped standing behind a keyboard while Kevin had one taken sitting at a drum kit. This was almost the last chance these stall holders had to take some serious cash and they were happy that we could help them.

At the poster stall they had the old band members sign some photos of themselves with ‘Farewell’ which I knew would be collectors’ items as soon as the tour finished. There was even a stall selling ‘Amazon’ Perfumes which all of us tried; some of them were really nice and we were given a bottle each of the ones we liked in return for the usual photo holding our choice in front of the stall. I knew that all of the stall holders paid good money to be here and all of the photos, posters, albums and DVDs were supplied by Simon or Sarah.

So, feeling good and smelling nice, we finally got to the changing rooms where Lucy showed us our outfits for the night. We were in a dark blue and white piping for this city, as our friendly car maker had chipped in a wad of money to sponsor the kit. I thought we all would look fabulous on stage although a bit like a group of mechanics; but I suppose that was the point. At least it did not have the company logo on it, and when I mentioned that, Lucy told me that the ones to be sold to the public did, in fact, have a small logo on the sleeves.

We had our catered lunch and then went up onto the stage to do a sound check. It was just one song and everyone was happy so we got back onto the bus and headed back to the hotel to relax. We all went up to the hotel pool and lay around on loungers chatting or else having a swim. It was very relaxing and we were all happy at dinner. As usual, we had a quick salon session and went out to the stadium to play.

This was the first time we were to do the entire set as ‘Amazon’ so, all clad in the same colours, we went up to the stage and stood out of sight to kit up. When we went out on stage we were confronted by a sea of people, all cheering and shouting, and I went to the front of the stage. Riordan and Keith started the opening notes of ‘Changing’ and the crowd quietened enough for me to be heard. When we reached the end, there was a roar from the audience and then Paul hit those bass notes and we were into ‘Amazon’ hits, mixed with ‘Party’ numbers and building up a beat into the dance numbers to end with the two big ‘Amazon’ hits. We took our bows and waved to the crowd before doing a raging ‘Maximum Dance’ as the encore. More bows and we waved as we made our way off stage. We were now, officially, an ‘Amazon’ tour.

Next morning at breakfast we were told that the car people had a ball at the concert and were very, very happy. Carl and the old band announced that they were now superfluous and were heading back to Nashville while Kurt and VB also announced that they would go home to New York. We all had group hugs and wished them well. I told Carl I would see him when we get back to Nashville in a few weeks. I was not getting homesick but was looking forward to visiting my ‘Aunt Ruby’ and the support group. After breakfast, Minh, Riordan, Joanne, Nina and I found a quiet room and worked on new music for the Christmas album and the next ‘Amazon’ album, only stopping for lunch. Once again, after dinner, we went back on stage and wowed the audience. It was getting easier every show and, by the time we finished the last performance here, we thought we were doing well enough to think about adding material in the future. It was just the New York show to come, and then a dance festival.

We flew to New York on the Tuesday and went to the hotel. Riordan said that she and Julia would normally stay in their own homes but now felt so much a part of the group that they would feel odd to be without us during the tour. As the equipment would not be set up until Thursday afternoon we all spent a couple of days looking around the city and attending interviews. One of the biggest record shops had arranged for us to do a signing session on Wednesday afternoon and I swear we had signed enough albums and DVDs to make it into the top ten. I found it strange to be asked to sign old ‘Amazon’ albums and Nina almost freaked when first asked to sign a ‘Greatest Hits’ one, so much so that Riordan had to give her a hug and tell her that she truly deserved to be doing it as it would have been ending up on a remainders stall if it wasn’t for her. Thursday afternoon we went to the ‘Garden’ and did a sound check and did the rounds of the vendors, thanking them for staying the course. We did, however, have a fair pile of new clothes when we got back on the bus.

For New York, Simon had gone all out to impress. Instead of the bus we had a small fleet of limos to take us to and from the show and we were to wear formal clothing for before and after show parties. So, at five ‘o’clock, we were in long dresses and suits and picked up by the limos. The pre-show party was for company staff from New York and Nashville so it was a pleasant time chatting with old friends. Chris was there and told me that, although he had to scrap an hours’ work of scripts, he was happy to make changes as now we had a unified ending. He said that he was going to do a four part documentary with the first being the rise of the ‘Party, the second part was the early ‘Amazon’ focussing on Ashley and her spiral into drunkenness and drugs. The third was the evolution of the new band with clips from various mixed shows and the change-over segment, while the last would be a live ‘Amazon in New York’ once it had been filmed. I told him I was proud to be involved with an award-winning piece of television.

At six thirty we made our exit and went to the dressing rooms where we had the full salon treatment for all, before getting into our stage gear. We were, for New York, in silver and gold and all took turns shading our eyes as we made poses. All the guys had jackets and the girls all had long skirts so it was a good looking bunch that kitted up and waited for the start time. The show was to start at eight so, by seven forty-five we were ready to go to the staging area. At eight we made our way onto the stage accompanied by much applause and we did our thing. After the show we were taken to another party, this time it was for celebrities and dignitaries then back to the hotel by limo. Lucy took charge of our stage outfits there and we all had a well-earned sleep.

The life of a star was not all easy going! Friday, Saturday and Sunday was much the same. I didn’t know there were so many well-known people who liked our music and I never thought I would ever be in a room with at least twenty millionaires. Monday was, however, a little different. The pre-show party was pretty much as usual but I noticed that there were several other artists on hand who all wanted to chat with the band about music and what we were going to do in future. It was fantastic to be mixing with our peers in such a friendly way. We went off do get ready and I mentioned this to Riordan. She said “There are a lot of people here tonight who we had played with over the years but would never have come tonight if Ashley and Georgina had still been with the band. We now have a more universal appeal.”

We did the show and were loudly applauded and then were ushered into the party room again for the final time. I saw our promoter’s representative talking with a bunch of guys who looked like a band and then Jake, who was walking alongside me, grabbed my arm and said “That’s Primal Purge!!!”

Marianne G 2020

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It’s great to see everything.....

D. Eden's picture

Coming together, and Patsy getting some recognition - but I still think she’s getting screwed in the deal. I can’t help wondering where the new band, Primal Purge, plays into the story.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Primal Purge?

That's the best punk rock band name ever.

Amazon

Well done, as usual.

Now with their success, the Amazon band should start thinking of buying Amazon (the Internet company) to complete the Amazon brand.

Deen

Patsy project

A first and final tour for the Innocents and a form of rebirth for the Amazons. Definitely an unusual tour. It looks like big things happening in their future. It must be quite a rush for Patsy.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Since her name came up

Whatever happened to Georgina? Last report she was still alive but looking at an extended stay in the hospital. If she or her lawyers should turn up demanding her share of Amazon, it could make things a little dicey.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin