Tammy Interludes: Ch-Changes Part 1

Printer-friendly version
Ch-Changes  

Book 11: Tammy Interludes
 

 

"Ch-Changes"
Part 1

 

 
Ch-Changes is a five part Interlude and follows on from Guard of the Thistle.
 
 
Sunday 1st October 2017 (Cont)

After bidding Maisie goodnight, Tammy went to her own room. The information from the briefing nagging her mind. If the spy boat came back to Scrabster; how would she know and be able to do some spying of her own? The only equipment she had was the contents of a commercial camera bag and it would do no good should she not know or be able to reach the port in time.

"This could fall under the category of 'dual interest'." Tammy said to herself then unlocked the sub-screen of her phone to dial.

The line rang twice then was answered by a energetic male voice. "RamAir; you call, we haul!"

"Good afternoon Carl." Tammy laughed, recognizing the voice.

Carl replied. "Hey there Tammy, 's up? Miss the sun and surf already?"

"Oh, I truly do. Is Krystel about?"

Carl answered. "Uh, she's preoccupied. Kim's walking in, that work for you?"

"Oh, yes. Thank you."

Tammy heard him inform of the caller and Kimberly picked up. "Hello, Tammy, do you need something?"

"I do. First; advice." Tammy said then went on. "I want to watch the local harbour, but all I have is a standard photography camera and lenses set. Should I look for equipment off-shelf and could you provide a recommended list?"

The line was silent for a tense minute then Kim spoke. "There are off-the-shelf that you could use, but you'd have to modify before installing. You'd still have to sit on it though. The subject of sending you a load-out has already come up, we already have some items ready to go; a personal kit and three house kits. A full station Load-out can be assembled fast enough. The problem will be getting it to you."

"Amazon won't be able to handle it?" Tammy joked, in reference to past things being sent disguised in such manner.

Kim laughed. "Afraid not. Between forty-eight and seventy-two hours you'll be notified. Is that it?"

"I need to crack a safe. I just acquired a new property and it has a safe. No code for it. I'd like to keep it if I can get it open without damage."

"No problem. I'll include a kit for that. Anything else?"

"Minor domestic issue over the weekend." Tammy replied.

"Your Reno Protocols are not fully in place yet, there was a complication for one. Another seven to nine days. Try to find ways to play nice with Sean's side, or grab some leverage to nudge problems to a cliff."

"That's just it. I was behaving myself, someone else had other ideas. I will say this, the kickboxing and ju jitsu really helped me out."

Another voice was heard in the background and Tammy guessed to the owner. "Is that Mindy?"

"Yes. She had a game this afternoon and we just got back." Kim answered.

Tammy decided to instigate some fun. "I should send her a set of bagpipes, for her international collection."

"NO. Absolutely not." Kim protested. "I'm not playing; you do and I'll personally come there and throw you to sharks."

Tammy had to laugh and could hear some of the exchange on the other end, making her laugh even more.

"I'll get back to you on the gear, go to bed. Out."

"Thanks. Out" Tammy disconnected and giggled.

 
Monday 2nd October 2017
 
Tammy poured herself a coffee once the morning emails had been dealt with, Joey was down South and would be absent for at least a week, whilst Tammy was back at university for two days that week. Even without Maisie's problems, the timing wasn't great.

She thought back to Sunday evening once Katie was securely parked in her hanger and her mind had switched to more domestic matters. Tammy realised very quickly that she hadn't thought things through. Why had she decided to 'rescue' the young Corporal, what was going to happen in the longer term?

Officially Corporal Staines was on two weeks compassionate leave, simply to get her out of the fort. Other than Tammy, only Maisie knew the story of what had gone down that weekend, the potential for fall-out was great and the top brass wanted to keep a lid on the affair. The pair had left their taxi waiting outside the main gate for fifteen minutes whilst various 'least worst' options were explored before they were effectively ejected.

A mid-morning phone call interrupted her thoughts. It seemed that someone in the Government had insisted that the Army sort itself out.

"Miss Smart, you managed to stir things and now an investigating team is on the way to Fort George from Andover, due there this afternoon."

"A full investigation, Sir Thomas?"

"Yes, I insisted. If there was a risk that you could have gone through the weekend without attending the briefings, then there's equally a chance that could happen to someone else more important. The information you gained in those briefings could directly affect intelligence operations in the UK. I've appointed a civilian lead but we first need to identify what happened and whether there's an endemic risk to the intelligence agencies."

"I see, so it isn't just about me?"

"No, but don't be surprised if someone doesn't make an attempt to discredit you. I can't stop the accusations, but I would hope that the truth comes out."

"How will that happen?"

"Firstly you could become persona non grata with the Army, a typical knee jerk reaction in all likelihood. In the immediate future, however, it's likely you will be interviewed, as will Corporal Staines. I can't say I'm happy with your personal arrangements right now and it's possible that your testimony will be downgraded as it will be deemed tainted."

"Sir, are you aware that I asked my solicitor to take Maisie's statement? She's there right now and I won't see it, I can assure you that we didn't collude. I'm giving my own statement later today."

"That's sensible, but fully expect a visit from the RMP."

"I will, Sir. Out of interest, do I have to declare the reason for my invite to the investigating officers?"

"Yes, but the RMP team will probably know that already. Tell me, why did you insist that Corporal Staines leave with you, it doesn't look good from this side?"

"I'm sorry Sir Thomas, but given how it panned out I had visions of Maisie being shipped off to Afghanistan or locked up so as not to embarrass the guilty. She's a victim of a concerted attempt to get at me."

"Regardless of that possible outcome, it was unwise for you to intervene. Having said that, it's done."

"I see, thank you Sir Thomas."

"Please be careful Miss Smart, intelligence is a cruel world and not everyone enjoys your go-get spirit; it frightens them and disturbs the old boys club arrangements."

"So, did you want me to calm down? Play their game?"

"Not at all, Miss Smart, at times they need to be stirred into doing their job instead of protecting their rear ends. Watch out for the dinosaurs, most are herbivores but they can still bite."

"Thank you, Sir Thomas."

Tammy drained her coffee mug, perhaps she could make a refill?

The phone rang again, she didn't recognise the number.

"Tamara Smart?"

"Lieutenant Smart?"

"Err, yes."

"I'm Staff Sergeant Staines."

"Maisie's father?"

"Yes. Please don't take this wrong Miss Smart, but what the hell are your intentions with my daughter?"

"Sir, nothing but honourable I can assure you. I guess you know that she's only on leave right now."

"And mixed up in an RMP investigation? That will blight her career."

"She will be exonerated, of that I have no doubt."

"How little you understand the Army Miss Smart? There may be nothing on her official file but you have just ensured her future won't be more than a drudge, designed to make her fail or quit."

"I will do my damnedest to make sure that doesn't happen. But, Sergeant, why was she pulled out of Catterick six months ago and sent to Fort George before she could finish her PT course?"

"That wasn't for me, or her, to question."

"Really, but that clearly wasn't in her best interests. I'm guessing that the Black Watch are due to fly out to Hellmand soon and would take your daughter with them? Had she stayed at Catterick then that might never have happened? She'd never have met me and we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"So you're blaming the army for your mess?"

"Sir, I would be prejudging the investigation and it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."

"Where is she?"

"With my solicitor giving a statement."

"Her phone is off?"

"My solicitor doesn't like to be interrupted."

"Can he be trusted?"

"Completely, he has handled some interesting matters for me in the past and his competency has never been doubted."

"Where is Maisie staying?"

"My parents house, just outside Thurso."

"What is your work, do you have a real job?"

"I own a property company, Sir, Smart Properties. I also part own an aircraft company, Smart Air."

"You flew her from Inverness?"

"Yes, I'm trained and licensed; when you live this far North it helps. If you don't mind me asking, where are you?"

"Lynham, near Swindon, I'm in REME."

"Ah, you build things, move things then blow it up?"

"I look after communications."

"I see, I have an interest in communications myself and did a few civilian courses, one of those wasn't that far from Swindon."

"Ah, I see. What are you really?"

"That's a dangerous question Staff Sergeant Staines, and there's an even more dangerous answer if you persist. Let me just say that your daughter is safe, very safe. She is free to leave here at any time, but will be looked after and protected during her stay. Does that satisfy you?"

"And you won't coerce her to leave and become a civilian?"

"That is her decision and hers alone, Sir. She's twenty two years old and not a child incapable of rational thought."

"And how old are you, with this font of knowledge about human nature?"

"I'm twenty one, but please don't try to stereotype me Staff Sergeant. In the few years since I left school I have been in situations that most people would have nightmares over."

"I tried looking you up and all I found were a few newspaper reports about plays and an explosion at a shop."

"My office is above that shop and I'm sat there right now, the damage was minimal." The door buzzer went. "Sorry but that's a visitor, please call me if you have any further questions, Staff Sergeant."

She rang off whilst she reached for the door release. A moment later Maisie came up the stairs.

"I asked Jeremiah about you, he told me that was confidential?"

"Unfortunately Maisie, my solicitor knows things about me that I've forgotten or wish to forget. How was it?"

"He was thorough, I doubt an MP would have asked so many questions. He seemed to know about military justice though?"

"My assistant is in Colchester and is due to give evidence in a day or so, he helped her prepare for the hearing."

"Oh, is she army too?"

"No, and it would be wrong for me to say any more."

"Will I meet her?"

"She's due back on Monday so that depends on how long you stay."

"Yeah, I had a text from Dad whilst I was with Jeremiah, that was after I had to ditch his call. Dad wanted to know what day I was going back to the regiment."

"And?"

"I don't know, I haven't gone back to him yet."

"He phoned me, not long ago."

"Oh, what did you say?"

Tammy recounted her conversation, leaving off the unnecessary parts.

"Dad can be a bit protective."

"What about your mum?"

"We lost her two years ago, cancer, that was hard on Dad. We both got leave but mum had lived in quarters with Dad so he was back at work after a few days whilst the arrangements were made. I stayed and looked after the quarters for a few weeks before I had to return to Catterick. I guess Dad wants me to go down to Lynham if I need a time-out."

"And end up looking after him?"

"Get him some proper food!"

"How does he manage?"

"He pays for a cleaner, but otherwise looks after himself. He was lucky to keep the married quarters under the circumstances. I don't mind seeing him and helping out but it's a long way to go from Catterick and it's five hours further from up here!"

"What about going back to the regiment?"

"I spoke to Amy on my way to see your solicitor, she's a private I got to know. She said the first RMP investigator has arrived but nobody is co-operating."

"Damn."

"Yeah, I don't know what to do."

"Did Amy say what the mood was?"

"Yeah, they want to do things to you and they think I'm going to squeal."

"I'm not planning on going back there, and I can look after myself. What about you?"

"I really want to get back to Catterick and finish my course. At least then I'll have a qualification I can use."

"What do you think will happen?"

"When the regiment goes on deployment they'll take me with them and make my life hell."

"Are you guessing?"

"No, Amy heard that we're going in December."

"I bet that'll please everyone? So, what now, Maisie?"

"I have another week before I have to decide, lots can happen in that time."

"In my world, yes."

Tammy was reticent about leaving Maisie alone in her office whilst at the solicitors, but there wasn't anything else that they could do.

"Ah, Miss Smart, how are you?"

"Pretty good Jeremiah."

"Did you get away?"

"I had two weeks in the Caribbean, a working holiday. It seems like an age ago now. How did you find Maisie?"

"Off the record, she's stronger than at first sight however there's a vulnerability under the surface. She seems to think she'll be interrogated, her words."

"I was told this morning that investigators will be interviewing us both, possibly as early as tomorrow."

"Then can I suggest the interviews are conducted here and you have representation?"

"Come, Jeremiah, you aren't touting for business, are you?"

"Not at all, Miss Smart, just ensuring you have the best advice. Under the circumstances I would advise against Miss Staines being left with a Military Police Officer unless she had representation. She should also insist that the interview is done on neutral ground, these offices or the ones in Wick are appropriate."

"Given what I have learned, that seems like a good idea. Now, where do you want to begin?"

"I don't know why you were going to Inverness, why don't you start there?"

"Of course. Well, it started with a phone call...."

----

Tammy swung by the bakery on her way back to the office.

"Is one of those cakes for me? You had two calls, first one was an electrician - he said he'll be finished on Thursday so long as the network cabinet arrives."

"Okay, and the second?"

"Apparently you need a new web designer and he said he'd do it for a good price, I told him where I'd insert the plugins."

"Thanks, I usually get those by email."

"Oh, Dad called, he asked me to go and stay with him."

"If that's what you want to do?"

"I don't. Up here they can't chuck me on a flight to anywhere. You can't refuse an order, so if I was back on base, any base, I'd have to go. I'm happy to wait this out, see what happens."

"Did you tell that to your Dad?"

"No, I said I was hoping to be back at Fort George next weekend, so he was happy about that. Plus I said I was on my period and he ended the call!"

"Naughty, however I sense a 'but'."

"I'm not sure I want to go back, but I'll wait until the interview is done as I might have something else to say to the investigators."

"Oh?"

"Look, if I don't tell you then it can't be used against you, right, Tammy?"

"I'm not comfortable being kept out of the loop, that nearly got someone killed last time."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, unfortunately. Look, why don't I show you my latest project?"

Tammy hadn't got as far as putting her jacket on when her phone rang, an encrypted call. She looked at Maisie then answered it.

"Smart."

"It's Heather."

"Heather! What can I do for you?"

"It's what we can do for you. The trawler Sofia XIX is on the way into Scrabster and due in less than an hour. Do you still have your port pass?"

"No, I lost it when Caithness Marine closed down."

"Ah, is there any chance of getting some close-ups of the vessel and the crew?"

"Sure, I think I can manage."

"Great, can you send them to me?"

"Sure, are you taking the lead on this?"

"For now, yes."

"But you're in Cornwall!"

"That's irrelevant, young lady. My intel is that it's only a short visit to Scrabster so you best get going!"

"Damn."

Tammy killed the call and slipped her arms into her jacket. "Come on, lunch has to wait!"

The first stop was Dunbankin' as Tammy didn't make a point of carrying her camera equipment with her. Then it was back on the A9 and down to Scrabster, although she turned up Scrabster Back Road just before the port. Tammy pulled up on the right on Holburnhead and wound down her window halfway.

"Hand me my camera bag please."

Tammy pulled out the body and removed the lens cap. Then a 800mm lens was brought out, wrapped in a cloth. She dropped the cloth in her lap and attached the lens.

"Whoa? Isn't that heavy?"

Tammy nodded. She picked up the large cloth off her lap and draped it over the glass before leaning the lens on it. Out of the window she could see a vessel approaching the harbour and started to press the shutter, having confirmed it was the intended target. On the deck she could see one man, dressed in red.
 
Russian ship
 
The autofocus wasn't adapting fast enough and Tammy knew she was getting only about one in four of usable photos. She switched to manual, this became a challenge as the vessel moved forward, the bow dipping in the choppy water, but Tammy was happier with the results. Gradually it slowed and became more stable, her frame rate increased and she considered switching to video, but that incurred problems of its own. She could now see other crew members coming out of the superstructure and one thing that was finally noticeable was that the vessel was riding high in the water, the holds were most likely completely empty.

"Tammy, wouldn't it be better to go into the port?"

"You recognised my car?"

"Yes, it's easy to spot."

"And it's the only one of its type in Caithness. If I go down there and start to photograph anything then I'll be identified almost immediately and this operation is a bust."

"Okay, but it's not normal for anyone to get a call then go and photograph a ship?"

"Not common, maybe, but not unheard of. I'm not normal anyway. Damn, it's out of sight." She put the camera on her lap and removed the lens, replacing it with the cap. She switched her phone into hotspot and accessed the camera menu to start uploading. "Hold this please."

Tammy drove forward to a farm gate and did a five point turn to face the direction she'd come from. "Back to the office, plus a stop for a bit of lunch."

Maisie sat, holding the camera, but didn't say anything until they were parked. Tammy checked that the photos had been uploaded then turned the camera off before putting it away in the bag.

"Tammy ...."

"Not here, Maisie."

Back upstairs Tammy turned off the hotspot and turned on the kettle, before sharing out the lunch bag.

"Right Maisie, you have questions?"

"Yes, I mean, are you an intelligence officer?"

"No, I'm a student and a business woman; Property and air services."

"But?"

"No, Maisie. You shouldn't have seen that and perhaps I shouldn't have brought you back with me. I'm sorry."

The girl started to cry. "But I wouldn't say anything!"

"That's easy to say, but there are people out there who would love to have an excuse to hurt me, to take me down."

"I wouldn't, I promise." Maisie crossed herself.

"It's done. It's best that you forget what just happened. It's my problem to deal with."

"Who do you work for?"

"Stop! That's a dangerous question and you should know better." Tammy herself wasn't entirely sure she knew the answer. Her phone rang, no number was displayed.

"Hello?"

"Good afternoon, Lieutenant. I am Sergeant Harris of SIB. We'd like to interview you tomorrow at Fort George, you are to report there at 0900?"

Tammy put the phone on speaker and placed it on her desk. "Good afternoon, I'm afraid I'm at university tomorrow morning and it's the first day back. It might be easier if you came to me?"

"Are you refusing an order, Lieutenant?"

"Not at all, but today I'm a civilian and I have a real life outside of the military. I have also taken legal advice and I would like my solicitor to be present. He's made himself available for that and is experienced in military justice and Scottish law. I'm not trying to be awkward, Sergeant Harris, but you might find it's easier to co-operate with me than to be my adversary."

"I see."

"So you'll see me tomorrow afternoon? It'll be the offices of Smith, Smith and Smith in Thurso. My solicitor is Jeremiah Smith, he's one of the partners."

"You are not making this easy, Lieutenant?"

"Well I'm sorry if you'll be out of your comfort zone, Sergeant. By the way, if you have an email address then I can ask Jeremiah to send you my statement, I gave it earlier today. He did Corporal Staines' statement this morning and I haven't seen that."

"I see, are you trying to manipulate the investigation, Lieutenant?"

"Not at all, but I suspected someone would accuse me of collusion with Corporal Staines so I took appropriate measures, nothing more than that."

"We'll be in touch." She rang off.

Maisie's phone rang before she could say anything. She similarly put it on speaker.

"No Sergeant Harris, I'm not prepared to interviewed without representation, I don't trust that I'll be given a fair hearing."

"We'll add that to your existing charges!"

"Look, if you want to see me, come to Thurso. Tammy's solicitor is available tomorrow and I'm doing nothing in the morning."

"Where are you?"

"In Tammy's office, she would have told you that if you'd have asked?"

"Don't try to make a mockery of this Corporal."

"It sounds like you've already decided I'm guilty of some heinous crime against the army? I'm the victim here and I refuse to play along and roll over for you. Please contact my solicitor." She killed the call.

"There, I feel better for that!"

"Was that wise?"

"I know how it'll play out; the Captain gets a reprimand, if anything, and I get sent to the clink for saying the wrong things and encouraging dissent! I've seen friends accept punishment in order to protect an officer, but I won't go along with that."

"That sounds like you're planning on ending your career?"

"Maybe, but I'll accept them sending me back to Catterick so I can finish my PT qualification and make Sarge before I finish. I want it in writing too."

"Okay, so that's not completely untenable, do you think they'll buy it?"

"To be honest, no, but a girl's gotta try?"

Tammy dropped an email to Jeremiah and brought him up to date with the call from Special Investigation Branch, despite Tammy's request Sgt Harris hadn't given any contact information so Tammy couldn't pass this on.

"Come on Maisie, let's go home. I fancy a swim."

 
Tuesday 3rd October 2017
 

Tammy left Maisie in town as she made her way to the university. It felt odd driving back onto the campus after her eventful summer, especially as she hadn't managed a real holiday.

The carpark was pretty full but she found a spot towards the perimeter fence. Once inside she bought a coffee, finding Ben Franklin directly ahead.

"Morning Ben."

"Hi Tammy, good summer?"

"Yes, what about you?"

"Yeah, a quiet one. The principle asked me to come up with a disaster recovery plan, like if we weren't able to use any of the campuses for extended periods. That kept me pretty well occupied with research and writing. I submitted it a week ago but I haven't heard back yet."

"Why did he ask for it?"

"He said something about an exercise that was done, a paper one, where something caused all the schools and colleges to be closed for months. He didn't want anything like that to happen and be caught out. Apparently he thinks that a former detective could come up with a practical plan, although I doubt I was the only one."

"Fair enough, let's hope it's never needed?"

"Yeah, I'd hate to have to implement it for real then find that it doesn't work!"

They both reached the front of the queue and quickly purchased their drinks. Tammy's 'welcome back' email had directed her to room B12 in the main block but all she needed to do was follow Ben.

The room had been refurbished over the summer and the lighting had been improved. Tammy took a seat and settled down for the indoctrination lecture, although there was very little to do. Looking around she could see that a few faces were missing but one or two of her adversaries were present, Tammy was amazed they even knew which way to hold a pen, let alone pass the first year exams.

She wasn't concentrating well as Maisie was probably going to be in with Jeremiah within the hour. They'd driven down together and Tammy had issued Maisie with a door card for the office, with instructions not to open the door to anyone. She'd also told the girl not to hit on the junior solicitor named John.

"Miss Smart?"

"Err, yes, Ben?"

"I asked if you'd confirmed your options on the website?"

"Oh, sorry, yes I did."

Tammy tried to pay more attention and took comfort that at least one of the other students had struggled with the idea of just logging into the university website before the new term.

That year would culminate with an award of a Diploma in Higher Education, not that it was more than a stepping stone on the way to her desired qualification, the BA(Hons) in Criminology at the end of her fourth year. The study focus for her second year would be on Qualitative research methods, History of crime & punishment, Practical research & analysis skills and Politics of policing. She'd also had to take a Humanities option and had selected Sociology as it seemed the most appropriate.

What should have been a quick process ended up taking the whole time before the mid-morning break. Tammy shuffled back to the coffee bar as quickly as she could, noting that she had two messages. The first was confirming her interview at 2pm at the offices of Smith, Smith & Smith. The second was from Maisie. Tammy read the message but a second one arrived before she could reply. The girl was clearly frightened, were SIB going to stitch her up better than a Christmas turkey or goose? Tammy hoped not, but this was military not civil law, despite the location. She tapped a reply and then added a few more words of support.
 

 
It wouldn't make much difference with Tammy being where she was, she wouldn't have been able to sit in the interview, regardless. Could she prevent the MPs leaving with Maisie, if it came to that? Tammy wasn't certain she had any rights, powers or abilities to do that short of producing a firearm, causing the situation to go downhill very fast.

"What did you want?"

Tammy had been shuffling forward and hadn't realised she'd reached the front of the queue.

"Oh, a mocha please. No, make that a double espresso."

Tammy moved away with her potent drink and almost walked straight into Ben.

"Distracted?"

"Yes, a friend is being interviewed by the red caps any minute now."

"Oh, bad?"

"Potentially, and my interview's at two."

"What have you been doing over the summer?"

"This was over the weekend. I managed to piss off a Captain who seems to be on good terms with the MPs. My friend was collateral and is being strung up just for being there."

"Tammy, you do end up in some strange scrapes."

"I know, but this time it feels personal."

"I hope you realise that if you get charged then you have to let the university know."

"It's more likely that I get put on a charge and sent to Colchester."

"Damn, serious?"

"Yes."

"When did you join the Territorials?"

"I'm not."

"Oh, they stitched you into a commission?"

"More or less, I'm a Lieutenant. I spent the weekend with the Black Watch as the guest of a Colonel."

"You do move in some strange circles, Tammy, why?"

"Good question, can I get back to you?"

Tammy survived the next ninety minutes, but lunch couldn't come soon enough. She promised to be back on Thursday and thankfully Ben didn't accidentally broadcast her troubles.

Tammy had just reached her car when her phone rang.

"Yes, Jeremiah, how is she?"

"Distraught, but still a free spirit."

"That's good news, how was the interrogation?"

"Sorry Miss Smart but I can't tell you anything, but I do have one request?"

"Yes?"

"Please don't contact Miss Staines until your interview is over. She's under instructions not to contact you."

"Where is she?"

"Safe but out of the way."

Tammy wanted a distraction and figured that her office probably wasn't a good idea. She parked behind the office, but walked around to the Castletown Hotel. She ordered a salad and an OJ from the barman then identified a vacant table. Before taking her seat, Tammy looked across the bar and her eyes immediately fell upon two very obvious law enforcement ladies. She guessed that one of them was Sgt Harris judging by the way one of the ladies looked down at her phone and then straight at Tammy; she walked straight over to them.

"Good afternoon ladies, yes I am Tammy Smart and this is my lunch venue." Tammy turned and walked to the back corner of the bar, out of sight of the SIB investigators.

The barman followed Tammy to her table with her OJ which she picked up to sip. Frances walked into the bar, looked around and waved at Tammy before going to deal with someone. She checked her phone for any messages, the only message was from Heather thanking her for the photos. Tammy took thanks that at least one person appreciated her work, even if everyone else was trying to put their knives in her back.

Tammy gave up with her phone and scanned the floor ahead of her, but not spotting anyone she knew. It seemed to take an age but finally Frances arrived with her meal.

"Two ladies in the bar were asking if anyone knew you."

"That doesn't surprise me, Frances."

"I've warned them that we take privacy very seriously in Scotland and they had better keep quiet or leave."

"Thank you, although no doubt I'll hear about it later?"

Frances nodded to Tammy's salad. "Have you taken on a diet?"

"Yes. An exercise plan as well. I'm already seeing results." Tammy answered.

Frances smiled. "If I may; others have noticed those results as well."

"Thank you Frances. Most kind of you."

Frances nodded then walked back towards the bar and Tammy started her lunch. She would save anything sweet for later on. She had a feeling a bit of chocolate would be welcome after the inquisition.

Her phone pinged with a message,

58°36'N
3°35'W
2300Z 2017-10-04

Tammy took a moment to read it twice then locked her phone. She absent-mindfully picked up her OJ to finish it, finding that the glass was already empty. She signalled the barman for a refill, she was going to need the Vit-C.

up
428 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oooo

Maddy Bell's picture

exciting!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

New chapter

Robyn B's picture

Oh Shiraz!

You can't leave us here...

Robyn B
Sydney

Interluddite

Nice start/continuation. Looking forward to more, soon, I hope. One wonders that Col. McTaggert has allowed this to proceed. The Capt. obviously has some pull somewhere that we haven't been given our clearance for yet.

And we’re off!

Great start to a new adventure. A swirling cauldron of events, with egos, perceived privilege and bureaucratic stumbling, all the while, the enemy slips quietly into harbour.

How does she get into these messes?!

A disaster recovery plan

WillowD's picture

What are they expecting? The Spanish Flu or something to create another pandemic? Snerk.

Aren't these plans usually created after a disaster, not before? Or if one was created before it would take weeks of red tape to get access to it to find out what should be done?

I was helping to tear down the Ottawa Folk Festival the day after it closed when a summer storm swept down the Ottawa River. The festival was held on river front property, with half of it on a peninsula sticking out into the river. We would have had a disaster if it had happened while the festival was open. I was trapped in my van about 200 feet from the main building. The winds rattled the van like crazy despite it being full of heavy stuff like fencing. I didn't want to run to the building as it would have only taken about 10 seconds to get me about as wet as jumping in the lake would have.

Mind you, this was nothing compared to when a wind storm hit Bluesfest in Ottawa. During the event. Tens of thousands of people attending. Winds strong enough to take out the main stage, as well as most of the smaller structures. Strong enough that debris destroyed some of the tractor trailers parked nearby. I can remember searching through the debris the next day looking for pieces of fences and structures to be disassembled and packed up.

I miss working for site setup, among other things, for these festivals.

Funny thing. We got a disaster recovery plan for the OFF the next year. It was a great plan. Except part of it was telling us department heads to create and post signage on what to do and where to meet for our departments. We found out about this a week before the festival opened. And, guess what, most of us including me were much too busy to get this done before the festival started.

Tammy's Going To Need A Pee

joannebarbarella's picture

She shouldn't be loading up on the OJ before her interview.

OJ

shiraz's picture

Have you been looking over my shoulder? Anyway, it's a known fact that in books, TV and films, no-one ever goes to the loo.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

So what kind of reward

does she get for doing the right thing?

Maisie

Given how often Tammy's been stitched up by the Establishment, even in the unlikely case of Maisie being allowed to return to Catterick, it would be prudent to delay the return until well after the Afghanistan flight.

However, if that's not the case, given the certification is valid in civilian arenas as well as military, Tammy likely has the resources and / or contacts to allow Maisie to complete her course elsewhere.

If Maisie ends up staying, then it would be prudent to read her into at least part of the OIRS activities - after all, while Tammy's likely to still be persona non grata at Scrabster port, Maisie is still unknown, so Tammy could feasibly park up just out of sight of the port, then discretely watch Maisie while the Corporal does the photography, ready to run to her assistance if needed.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Tammy should stop picking up long sticks

Jamie Lee's picture

If Tammy has one fault, it's trying to right wrongs when she sees them or they're brought to her attention.

With the other things she does, sometimes it necessary to not pick up the long stick and stir up the hornet nest. Even though an egregious wrong is being committed.

It's sad truth and justice isn't always the goal during an investigation or interview. But determining how much a person knows so that some type of accident might take place to save a higher ranking officer.

It isn't a given this is what would happen to Maisie if she returned to base. But it's a possibility unless SIB is after truth and justice, and gives a fig about a higher ranking officer's career.

Others have feelings too.