Let the Music Play

Printer-friendly version

3251 Maple Avenue, Tallahassee, FL
Lindsey was tired as the Lyft driver pulled up in front of the airport to pick her up. She covers her mouth to cover up a yawn. Once she gets in the car “can you wake me when we get close to the destination, please?”

Lindsey has been fighting to stay awake. She left a jazz bar in New Orleans, she has been playing at and took the earliest flight available to Tallahassee, Florida. She started her classes tomorrow morning and she wanted to get some sleep, before attending them.

“Sure thing, ma’am.” Reggie saw how tired his female passenger was.

The poor thing looked like she hasn’t had any sleep. He watches as she leans against an instrument case in the back seat. He looks at the directions on the GPS and saw it was going to take him twenty minutes to arrive at the destination.

He watches the young lady as she slept. She was dressed in a nice black dress that hugged her body. She didn’t have much jewelry on and looked young.

“Ma’am, were almost to the address you gave.” Reggie pulls his car over against the curb.

Lindsey wakes up from her catnap. She looks around and notices, they had stopped in front of the house she was renting, along with several others.

“Thank you, Reggie.” Lindsey takes her cellphone and gives a glowing review to Reggie.

She pulls a twenty and hands it to him “here you go, Reggie, and thanks again.”

“Thank you.” Reggie accepts the money.

Lindsey gets out of the car and heads towards the front door of the place. It was nice that her mother was in real estate. Her mother managed to get the house she was currently standing in front of. It even had a private studio, so she could work on music if she wanted too.

Lindsey was finally able to use her key, to open the door. As she walks into the house, she removes her heels and leaves them in the foyer. She takes her suitcase and just leaves it in the foyer as well. She heads up to the second floor and to the master bedroom. She carefully sets her saxophone against the wall. She reaches behind her back and unzips her short black dress.

The dress falls to the floor, as she stumbles towards the queen size bed. She notices Kaja was curled up and asleep. Lindsey moves the covers aside and slides in on her side of the bed. She slides her cellphone into the wireless charger, to charge up.

Kaja turns over and puts her arms around Lindsey’s body. She pulls her close to her own body “welcome home.”

Lindsey caught the last few words as her eyes closed. Blackness surrounds her as she falls into a deep sleep. She places her hand on Kaja’s.

At six in the morning, the Scooby Doo theme song starts playing. Lindsey turns around and presses the snooze button on her cellphone.
She turns back to face Kaja and buries her face against the nook of her neck. She didn’t want to get up just yet. She was still feeling tired from her flight, last night.

Scooby Doo theme song goes off a second time, after nine minutes. Lindsey turns around press the button on her cellphone.

“I don’t want to get up, yet.” Lindsey stares up at the ceiling of the bedroom.

Kaja gets up out of bed and looks down at Lindsey. She was three years older than Lindsey “come on sleepy head. You have your first class this morning. So, get up before I spank you.”

Lindsey looks at Kaja and couldn’t believe how she has changed in the past few years. Kaja, Ian, and herself had been lovers before she got her operation. Now Ian was seeing someone else.

It hurt at first, but she managed to get over it. She and Kaja managed to stay together. Kaja was by her side when she got her SRS operation. Kaja still handled all of Dusty Gasket merchandise and several other bands that their studio has picked up.

Brenda their lawyer and manager, has managed to recruit five other bands under their new production label. Their studio has become an independent record label. Dusty Gasket still honors their commitment to the record label that signed them originally.

“Come on lazy, it’s time to get up.” Kaja takes her nightshirt off and heads towards the bathroom.

“Fine!” Lindsey finally gets out of bed and heads into the bathroom to join Kaja in the shower.

They spend twenty minutes in the shower and afterward they get dressed for school. Lindsey tries to look a little professional for her first day. Florida State University only selected a few students for their music program.

Since her grades were so high and the fact, she was so musically talented, they accepted her right away. They meet up with Tessa as she came down the stairs.

“Hey, Lindsey. How was New Orleans?” Tessa’s style of dress has changed over the past two years.

She uses to be heavily involved in the gothic community. She even did some modeling for an up and coming gothic clothing storing. That earned her enough money to have her surgery and pay for her to attend college with Lindsey, and Kaja.

“It was fun. I think you would like Bella’s jazz joint.” Lindsey liked the way Bella’s was decorated. The new owner of the place was a middle-aged man that loved jazz and blues music.

“Alright you two, let’s get going.” Kaja wanted to see who her professors were.

“I call shotgun.” Tessa dashes towards Kaja’s black Subaru Forester.

“You always take shotgun.” Lindsey hated riding in the back seat.

“Tomorrow, I’ll let you take shotgun. Okay?” Tessa watches as Lindsey gets in the backseat.

“Okay.” Lindsey gets in and buckles up.

“So, how many classes are you taking, Lindsey?” Tessa turns around in her seat to look at Lindsey.

“Five classes.” Lindsey had signed up for five classes, instead of four.

“Do you always have to be an overachiever?”

“No, but the classes I have. Are the basics I need for my music conductor degree.” Lindsey wanted to get the basics out of the way first.

“I thought you already knew how to conduct a symphony and orchestra?” Tessa was confused.

“I do, but I still need to learn the basics.”

“Those classes shouldn’t be hard for you. You’re extremely good with music.” Kaja knew how good Lindsey was with writing music and with writing a musical piece.

“Speaking of music, did you hear our fourth album went platinum? On top of that, the video we made for Night Fire received a platinum award as well.” Tessa was excited about the awards they received.

“Where did you get your information?” Kaja was curious about the source.

“From Brenda herself and Terry as well.” Tessa kept in touch with both of them.

“That is good to know.” Kaja was going to need to talk to her assistant and see how sales were going.

Kaja was handling the merchandise for six bands currently. She also had several assistants to help her. Kaja arrives at the campus parking lot and parks as close as possible.

“So, will I see the two fo you for lunch?” Tessa looks at Kaja.

“Yes, we’ll meet here to go and get some lunch.”

Lindsey, Kaja, and Tessa gather their things and head towards their prospected classes.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for the story.

WillowD's picture

Is this the start of a new story or does it follow from another one? I believe you have a number of stories where the main characters are musicians.

Let The Music Play

is the third installment of Lindsey Weathers series. The musical genius of Dusty Gaskets. It's set two years after Music school, so she is finally in college and out of high school.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

its going

Samantha Heart's picture

To be a tough year, but Lindsay could do it.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

I will have to

make sure that I watch for everyone of these stories. As it hits home slightly. My oldest son was offered 1st chair Saxophone in the marching band at Florida State. Sight unseen/heard LOL. He however didn't accept.