The Patsy Project. Book 2. Patsy Power Parts 41 & 42

Printer-friendly version

Patsy Power Part 41

Stephanie tinkled a little bell and a maid appeared from a side room. “Yvette, please go to my office and bring me back the new L’Estrange catalogue you will see on my desk.” Yvette did a little bob and went out the room. We all went and sat around a big boardroom table and Gerome offered refreshments. I was finding it all a bit odd but held my tongue.

Grog took control and stood up to say “Thank you for coming to Geneva for this meeting. I know you may find it a bit odd if you don’t know the history behind this studio. It has been in existence for nearly one hundred years in some way or another. Gerome’s grandfather was passionate about classical music and used his money and influence to develop early recordings that are still stored here. His biggest problem was there were never any other places he could have those recordings played.”

“Gerome’s father also caught the bug and rebuilt the studio in the late forties. By this time record players were easily available so his recordings found a ready market through distributors. Gerome built this current studio in 1990 and it has been updated since then. There have been many big hits recorded here but only by artists that have been invited to record. I am proud to say that the last three ‘Primal Purge’ albums were made here and we are currently recording tracks for a ‘Last thoughts’ album that will be released at the beginning of the final world tour. We have planned the final act in some detail but just needed the right band to open for us. We have heard several but only the new ‘Amazon’ comes close in giving us an energetic first half but also has a clean and wholesome image that appeals to a wide demographic. Our own second half will be a mix of early and later hits and is likely to be loud and proud so we needed a little bit of decorum earlier on. So the object of this meeting is to give you the dates and places for the world tour and, if you are happy, we will sign the agreements and contracts before you go back home. Any questions?”

We all shook our heads so he got one of the lawyer types to come around the table and gave us all a sheaf of stapled papers. “This is the proposed dates, cities and venues for the tour. The first thing is to see if you can join and then we can drill down through the detail” said Grog and left us to look through the papers. I started to look through my set and was a little surprised at the sequence, which started right here in this studio. It then went to Athens for two nights, missed India, had two nights in Singapore; three nights in Tokyo; three nights in Sydney and two nights in Auckland. Then it started the US leg with two nights in Hawaii; three nights in Los Angeles; two nights in Miami; two nights in Seattle; three nights in New Orleans; two nights in Saint Louis; three nights in Chicago; three nights in Washington; three nights in New York and three nights in Montreal. Then it was across the Atlantic to Madrid for two nights; Paris for four; Rome for three; Berlin for four; Oslo for two; Glasgow for two; Liverpool for three; Birmingham for three; Bristol for three and, finally, London for four. I was the first to ask the obvious – how did we jig-jag around the place. “Right, the obvious question first” Grog said. “We have two complete stages and sound equipment, each with its own Boeing 747 cargo aircraft. In the US one works up the west coast while the other works up the east. This allows us to play every weekend for the twenty five weeks. For the other weekends they leapfrog venues.”

“We travel by our own aircraft through the whole tour with secure storage for personal items. There are two complete sets of guitars, drums and keyboards plus spares with each stage set. We all use the same amplifier and mixer set-up. Each cargo plane has its own road crew and carries beauticians, dressers and instrument repairers as well as the stage clothing. The clothing can be cleaned in the two weeks between uses. We have done this before and it really works well. Our own 747 will carry the bands, personal assistants, security and media liaison. We will be living somewhat close for six months but we have most of the time in hotels and can relax between venues. “

“Oh! If you look at the venues the smallest is fifty thousand and the biggest is about a hundred and twenty thousand so there will be a lot of bums on seats over that period. I know I am looking forward to it and am trying not to think about the last show when I will officially retire. The rest of the band have already looked at their own futures as solo artists or joining with other bands so we all have secure careers or retirements. I am pretty sure that ‘Amazon’ will be huge by the time we are finished. Getting all of this with about six months to go will allow you to plan your lead up to the start; maybe with a couple of shows, maybe with another album.”

We were given some time to discuss it and Riordan and I were both happy with the timing. Of course, it now depended on the financial reward. When we agreed and then asked that question one of the lawyer types said “It is a simple split 50/50 on the profits. If we do a simple calculation on having full houses we will seat just over five million and with average seating costs of $100US we are looking to take $500 million or more. We generally put the staging costs at four million per venue so we have $100 million there. If we allow another fifty million for band transport and accommodation; this will leave about a hundred and fifty million each. You would have to cover your own band insurance and health costs from this. You can organise supply of your own instruments and clothing but we will need to know details so we can add to the programmes and advertising. Grog has told me about the ‘department store’ you had at venues during your last tour and if you want to organise this and sublease the space around venues you are free to do so. We just reserve the rights to sales of ‘Primal Purge’ items or could sell to your vendors on a no return basis.”

I could see by the smiles on Simon’s and Sarah’s faces it was acceptable to them. Neither Riordan nor I could find fault with the numbers so we agreed there and then. There was much laughter and smiling as we put our signatures to the paperwork. After this Sarah asked to be shown the studio so the four of us followed Gerome into the main room. It was huge and high-tech. The band had its full stage kit there and Gerome said it was how they could record a full sound to give a studio recording that live feel. Sarah told him that she was in the process of designing a completely new studio in Nashville and asked for the names of his designers and builders.

Back in the lounge Stephanie and the girls from ‘Primal Purge’ were looking at the catalogue. They were busy deciding which ones they would like to wear themselves. Stephanie reminded me of the party tonight, saying that all of the local gentry would be here. I said that we had brought our own examples from the catalogue to wear and I was able to point out the one I had chosen. Stephanie pointed to one of the pictures and said “I would love to have one of those dresses tonight; it would give all of the other ladies a real punch in the nose.” I looked at the one she had pointed to and said “Maxine packed two evening dresses for each of us and I just happen to have that dress, with accessories, in the closet at the hotel. What size are you?” We compared our sizes and I was certain that it would fit her so offered to give it to Jules to bring back after he had taken us to the hotel. She would not hear of it, saying she would be coming back with us and trying it on first. We all chatted for a while and had some lunch and then the four of us, plus one, left in the Rolls Royce to go to the hotel. Up in my room Stephanie tried on the dress and shoes. The shoes were a little large but she said she had packing that would solve that problem. Putting it back into its bag she gave me a hug and told me that she was so happy to meet me. She then trotted off back to the foyer to drive off with Jules. With the afternoon to spare Riordan and I had a stroll in the city and along the lake edge while Simon and Sarah spent their time on phones calling the US. This whole business was going to cause a stir in the industry and we were now in the middle of it.

Part 42

Seeing the elegance of tonight’s party, Riordan, Sarah and I spent some of the afternoon in the hotel salon. The four of us then had a light afternoon tea and went to get changed. I took extra care with my dressing and make-up and found myself watching myself in the hotel mirrors as I made my way to the foyer. Jules arrived out front just as I was joined by the others and we slid into the Rolls Royce in very elegant fashion to make our way to the chateau. The car park was filled with very expensive vehicles and I noticed at least one Maybach. We were welcomed by the butler who guided us towards the ballroom where a glittering array of dresses and jewellery greeted us. Stephanie spied us coming in and rushed over, looking magnificent in the gown.

She was quite bubbly and laughing about getting one up on her crowd. She hauled Riordan and me over to her crowd to push the screws further in. There were grand dames of all size and shape and several different nationalities but all were keen to see the latest L’Estrange fashions on the latest L’Estrange models. I had the feeling that many had not heard of modern music, let alone hard rock. I could see Simon in a group of executive types and Sarah was in deep conversation with a middle-aged guy with a pony-tail who could have been a studio designer. I noticed Grog looking quite dapper in a white jacket but a couple of his band had a hard time fitting in with the visible tattoos.

At about nine we were called to be seated in the dining room for dinner and I found myself between the US Ambassador and a French nobleman, both needing my complete attention, the Ambassador with his questions about home and the Frenchman because of his self-propelled hands. The hand problem stopped when the food was served but the Ambassador rattled on for ever. At the end of the dinner it became evident just what the whole day had been about – money! Gerome stood up and proposed a toast to the upcoming tour and thanked all those present who had invested the seed money that made it possible. After we went back to the ballroom a classical quartet played light pieces while everyone chatted until late. The local press was allowed in to take photos of the high and mighty for various magazines and Stephanie made sure there were a few of the three of us in our gowns. I wondered which ones would grace newsstands in the US. Before we left we were exhorted to return the next morning as Stephanie wanted to give us the grand tour of the place.

Standing at the front door waiting for Jules I was joined by Grog. “I don’t know how you do it” he said quietly “It took me a year before Stephanie would even smile my way but you are now well in. I can tell you that she is one very powerful ally to have. He supplies the money and prestige but she is the brains behind the family. I would not be surprised if ‘Amazon’ is recording here very soon.” I thanked him for the opportunity to meet such a fascinating person and said I looked forward to the coming year. I asked him about the first tour date here and he told me that it is usual to record the full show in the big studio, live and in real time, to establish a baseline for timing. It also created a possible recording for a live album that could be labelled from anywhere we play.

He then looked me in the eye and said “Patsy, I can tell that you will keep this to yourself. When we finish this tour I will be heading for a private clinic, probably to see my days out. All of the years of abusing my body have come back to mock me now. For the last show in London, could you please write me one of your sweet songs that the band can play while I leave the stage? I can tell you now that when I do leave the stage I will be going straight to a car and away. I just need you to keep my friends occupied while I disappear.” I promised to put my thoughts to something and I said that it could be as sweet as he wanted. He said we could practise it in private during our off days and wanted to use Jake and our guys to do the playing.

I thought about this when I was in the car going back to the hotel. The plot thickened with every passing day. I knew that I would have to research his life and music and I knew that I would need to consult Jake on this one.

Next morning I wore my leather outfit from the shoot and we all were picked up again to head for the chateau. Stephanie greeted us at the door and gave us all a hug. She was very happy about last night and the effect the three of us made with her friends. She said that she was sure that Maxine was fielding phone calls as we spoke. We were first taken to a drawing room for coffee and a chat and then we were on the grand tour. This took the best part of two hours without touching the studio complex. We finally walked into the conservatory which was a hubbub of chatter from about fifty children. Stephanie explained that she hosted a lunch for the local school once a month and they usually had a little entertainment after they ate.

I could see the meals starting to come out so we turned to leave them to it when a harried lass came over to Stephanie and cried “Madam, the magician has had an accident and broke his arm. What are we going to do?” Stephanie asked if she had tried getting a replacement and was told no-one is available. I asked if the children had good English and was told that it was taught from an early age. I suggested that Riordan and I could sing for them as we had done so for children of a similar age in the US. Stephanie asked “Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to impose” and we told her it was perfectly all right. A maid was despatched to the studio area to ask Gerome if he could spare a couple of acoustic guitars and we sat with the children to share their lunch.

They had plenty of intelligent questions as befitting children of impeccable breeding and schooling and, by the time we finished the meal, we were all on a chatty basis. Gerome turned up with two Fender acoustics so we went and sat at the glass end of the conservatory to get maximum carry and started off with ‘Puff The Magic Dragon’. Before we had sung five lines we had been joined by Gerome who sat with us and sang along. We carried on with a mixture of Peter, Paul and Mary numbers and some of Minh’s’ songs from the new album. I sang a very silly version of the ‘Mall Song’, doing all the verses and the children all joined in with the chorus and wound it all up with ‘Changing’ and finishing with my signature tune ‘Serendipity.’

In the morn the sun rises on a new day.
There could be surprises, who can say.
But I know if you show the world who you are,
Then miracles could flow and you could be a star.
Or just yourself be,
Serendipity.

There’s a time and a place for your tears,
There’s days you must face all your fears.
But smile and move on with your life
Bad times will be gone with the strife.
If you just let yourself be,
Serendipity.

I am smiling to sing this song,
‘Cos I know that if things all go wrong,
There’s a path I could take
The words I could fake
The applause could be just as long.
I let myself be just me
And trust in Serendipity.

When we finished we got up and bowed to the audience and some of the bigger children rushed up to give us hugs, something that completely surprised Gerome. I could tell that he was not used to unfettered contact, something to do with breeding, I suppose.

Stephanie was beaming and gave us all big hugs as the children picked up their belongings to head out to their bus. She said that the story of today’s lunch would be around the locality like wildfire and to expect invitations to other chateaux before we left Geneva. We gave Gerome his guitars back and both gave him a peck on his cheek. I just think that singing PP&M was enough for him. He said to follow him to the studio area as he wanted to show us something. He stopped in the corridor near the studio doors and pointed out a picture taken in the old studio that his father had built. There was PP&M sitting on a bench seat next to the old control room with a young boy at their feet. It was signed ‘To young Gerome, our biggest fan’ by the three of them. “That was the early sixties” he said “they did several recordings here and I was very much in love with Mary. Singing ‘Puff’ today has brought back so many good memories.” I told him that when we are all here we could do a folk session, just for him. We carried on into the studio where I could see Grog and the band working away at a song. The soundproofing was so good you could hardly hear a murmur outside but I was sure that it was ear-splitting inside. We watched for a while and then said we needed to go as we would be flying home tomorrow.

Marianne G 2020

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Once again.........

D. Eden's picture

Patsy is in the right place at the right time - truly serendipitous.

It’s nice to see her getting more recognition both from her peers in the industry, and from the people she encounters along the way.

Looking forward to seeing more!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus