Castle The Series - 0126 Much Time For Much Change

Printer-friendly version

Chapters 125 and 126 are different in that they contain a lot of material in note form. I plan to write that material in its full form at some time in the future, but it is not essential to the work. The reason I have done it this way is that I wish to post the last three chapters, 127, 128 and 129 which provide the explanations of why it all occurs. Ch 128 is essentially the same as Ch 2, but it was my original intention that the material should be in the Ch 128 position. I only included it as Ch 2 so as to provide some explanation at the beginning without giving too much away.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05800010

Year 580

George’s radio transmitters have finally been maekt to work over considerable distances, though reception at the Far North Glacier is problematic and not always possible due to the Castle lights(1). At the present time only Morse code is possible over longer distances, but voice transmission quality is continually being improven. All ships, not just those of the explorer class, are now equipped with transmitter-receivers and all sea crafters regard the ability to use the equipment as a fundamental part of their craft. It is now mandatory for Mistress or Master sea crafter status regardless of the particular sub craft a crafter follows.

~o~O~o~

Maiden voyage of “Explorer Sex” captained by Suede.

~o~O~o~

Explorer Fem returns

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05800020

BUBBLES

DIFFICULT LUNETIMES

Dittander, now a stunningly beautiful twenty year old, and a Mistress machiner of considerable skill and intellect, has agreement with Vetch. Since she reached the age of thirteen there had been many men interested in reaching agreement with her, but she had not been interested in any of them. After her marriage she admitted she hadn’t been interested in them because she had been awaiting Vetch. Vetch is fifteen and crafts as an associate of the machiners. He is a highly intelligent and able theoretician and machine designer and has absorbed all the mathematics Axel had to give him and developed more himself. He has always said he started to think the way he does the night his dad, Blackdyke, met and married his mum, Janet. He was at the time fascinated by the bubbles in the clear glass jug of lingberry juice. He wished to know where they came from and where they went, and he still wishes to know. He has wryly admitted he is not sure what his craft is, so he will just have to make it up as he goes along. He is of a very placid disposition and infuriates Dittander when he will not argue with her. She is far more difficult due to her lunetimes(2) than her three elder sisters. Squill her mother has telt her before she became pregnant with Bwlch, Dittander’s eldest sister and Squill’s first child, her temperament was much worse than afterwards, and Dittander is hoping to be pregnant as soon as possible because she always feels so terrible after treating Vetch badly, despite his understanding and forgivth.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05800030

THE HERBS MAEKT THE CHOICE

ORCHIDECTOMY

Beth had not managed to make Granite pregnant again, but when Granite returned to the holding of his family leaving Beth and Julia at the Keep so Beth could meet craft obligations, Lávvu one of his cousins had. Granite’s view was, “We managt Julia ourselfs, Love, and you always sayt you would far rather be able to nurse them than engender them if it had to come to a choice. It seems the herbs maekt the choice for you, so let’s not worry, for Lávvu has sayt he will give us as many children as we will, so we can have a family, and you can nurse them. I know he is only twelve, but he admittet in confidence that for agreement he will be seeking a man not a woman, so there should be less complications for us with him. He also telt me that because of the way he is it is unlikely he will have a family so he was happy to father our children. Dulse and Coot his parents know regards his nature and of our arrangement too, but he is not ready to tell others yet, though I suspect the entire family is aware of his nature. I telt him when he was ready we would be happy to admit to the arrangement.”

Beth thought it through and said, “That seems to be a good arrangement, Love. If at a time in the future you would like to carry a child under your heart for Lávvu and his agreän I should be willing to nurse the babe for them. However, since I can’t make you pregnant, Granite, I’ve been thinking regards having my males(3) removt. I’d be happier without them, and Falcon telt me though they are small they probably negate a little of the action of the feminising herbs which will then be more effective and my longth(4) would probably become even smaller. Would you mind?”

“It is entirely your decision, Love. It it would make you happier I suggest you have them removt, but don’t do it for me. May I tell Lávvu what you sayt regards a babe, for it would make him happy, and it does seem a tight and proper thing to do.”

“Of course.”

Granite was much more at ease being pregnant this time and had telt Beth that he would be happy to bear as many children as she wished. Beth knew that was true, but doubted it would have been so had she been unable to nurse their babes, or had he had difficulties with his cousins. Beth wished a large family and knew Granite would only be happy to be visibly pregnant at Pike Mere, the holding of his family, but Beth no longer had problems being away from her Mum and family for extended periods, for she had been accepted by Granite’s family in the way she was by her own, and she was much more settled living with them on the holding than initially.

After having her males removed Beth noticed an increase in size of her breasts, cotte(5) and hips, but Falcon said that could be due to her nursing Julia, and with each subsequent babe she nursed she may notice further increase. The reduction in size of her longth he confirmed could only be due to the removal of her males and it was unbelike to decrease in size any further. Since some women had larger petals(6) than her longth and she’d never really had a proper erection, even when penetrating Granite to produce Julia her longth had not been truly erect, Beth was happy with the outcome of her procedure, and Granite was happy because Beth was happy.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05810010

Year 581

Explorer Sex returns.

~o~O~o~

Heron dies in his sleep aegt twenty-seven, leaving a pregnant Iola with three daughters and two sons. Iola subsequently births a fourth daughter.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05820010

Year 582

Revæl married to Rock, Judith and Storm’s middle son, births their daughter Pepperspice whose name was suggested by Rock’s eldest sister Iola.

~o~O~o~

The new mill south of the river is now finished and operational. The technical crafts are beginning to concentrate there due to the readily available mechanical power and the shortly expected hydro-electric power. Like Millside it rapidly became a viable all year settlement and is oft referred to as Craftside.

~o~O~o~

Iola, now twenty-seven, after her mourning year marries Godfrey who is twenty-four. She is soon pregnant with a third son.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05830010

Year 583

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05840010

Year 584

Gibb retires and Iola now twenty-nine becomes the Keep Head cook not long before the birth of her fifth daughter.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05850010

Year 585

Iola becomes the Keep Mistress, a position only open to the Head cook, the Mistress or Master chamberer and the Mistress or Master entertainer.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05860010

Year 586

Gareth retires and Willow becomes the Mistress at arms.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05870010

Year 587

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05880010

Year 588

The Arder bridge is finally fully operational. Brock and Bruin, now in their early sixties, admit their crafting life has taken its toll on them and decide to retire though they have agreed to make themselves available as consultants.

~o~O~o~

Tansy and Craig expand operations, and the waggoners move the centre of their operations from the Keep to a new set of buildings at the Arder bridge. Tansy, no longer a mercurial, adolescent frowart, but a pregnant thirty-five year old mother of twelve expecting to be a grandmother for the first time in a couple of lunes, in a moment of whimsy and insight said, “No the doubt the place will be refert to as Bridgeside due to a complete lack of imagination,” and so it was.

~o~O~o~

Gosellyn retires and thirty-one year old Lilly with Gosellyn’s and Irena’s support becomes the Mistress healer.

~o~O~o~

Blackdyke dies at the age of seventy-seven and heartbraeken eighty-three year old Janet dies shortly afterwards.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05890010

Year 589

Gale dies at sixty-three, and Gage, deputy Mistress huntsman, becomes the Master huntsman. He had expected to succeed Gale, but he had expected her to retire not to die young. Will had been the formative influence who with his parents, Mari and Ford, had guided his steps to manhood and hunterhood, but Gale had been his mentor for all of his life on Castle readying him to succeed her, and the loss of her affected him deeply.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05900010

Year 590

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05910010

LADY HEIDI & LORD RAMPION

CHANGE IS POSSIBLE

Year 591

Weir’s illth becomes worse and Siskin and Weir retire and Rampion, now thirty-seven, officially takes up Lordship with Heidi, though the couple had effectively been fulfilling the rôles since Weir became ill two years over. Siskin was happy to retire so as to be able to look after Weir. Rampion with the approval of the Council and unbeknownst to Heidi makes a Quarterday appearance to announce for the duration of his Lordship, it is to be a joint tenure with Lady Heidi of Castle. This was a popular decision and as a result the Folk considered Rampion to be brighter than they had thought, especially when Iola let it be known he had mentioned his intention to Heidi when they first became heartfriends, long before any had considered he had any chance of being declared Siskin’s heir. It was also considered, despite Rampion only making this change for the duration of his Lordship, it would become the norm for all future Ladies and Lords of Castle since it only changed an agreän’s title, and givn recognition to what had been the effective situation for generations. Discussions were still ongoing with Aaron, Nigel and Wayland concerning the future governance of Castle, but all three of them agreed it was a step in the right direction purely because it reminded the Folk things were not set in stone and could be changed, which as they maekt the Folk aware was a decision of Rampion’s.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05920010

CHILDREN & FOOD APLENTY

AN AFFORDABLE PRIORITY

Year 592

Willow, Heidi, Gage, Wayland and Rampion engage in discussion to further protect the Folk from the consequences of a violent, armed incursion. They are all in agreement that much more needs to be done. The Folk’s population is booming, but it has a disproportionately large proportion of children though elders and older children are looking after younger children leaving adults to craft. There has been no threat of food rationing for over twenty years and life has become much easier for the Folk as a result. Willow, Heidi, Gage, Wayland and Rampion present their case to the Council and it is agreed. What would have once been too onerous for a Folk tenuously surviving climate and starvation is now not only feasible but desirable. Heidi puts the matter to the Folk at a Second Quarterday appearance in a long but reasoned and easy to follow argument, and it is agreed and approven that military training and weapons development are an affordable priority, and a bonus is that they will create craft placements for many.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05930010

Year 593

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05940010

Year 594

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05950010

Year 595

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05960010

Year 596

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05970010

PRUDENCE AND HER AGREÄN IO

LADY AND GUARDIAN OF THE WAY

Year 597

Councillor Wayland is now thirty-nine. Prudence the twenty year old daughter of Lady Heidi and Lord Rampion had inherited her mother’s intelligence and perception. A strange and solitary child she had sought Wayland out since she could walk, yet had been accepted as his friend by his wife, Vervain, who was even more protective of his time and privacy than his family who fended off all bar a select few who wished to access him. Prudence had been heartfrienden with her cousine Io, the singularly quiet eldest daughter of Iola and Heron, from the age of three when Io had been seven. Io was an alternative version of Judith, and she’d been named, not after her mother as many assumed, but after her granddam.

Ignoring considerable opposition, Prudence and Io had had agreement since Prudence was twelve with the support of their parents. Prudence was adamantinely obdurate, but her arguments were irrefutable, and the Folk had retrospectively approven her marriage at her appearance where she appealed to their sense of justice and self interest, for, notwithstanding her willingth to turn her back on the responsibility, she knew she was the only viable candidate to be her parents’ heir. Io and she had decided, and she telt the Folk at her appearance, they considered it wise that Prudence had children before Io, so the succession could not be questioned, for it was Prudence’s intention, with her parents’ approval, should she accept Ladyship, Io would be Lady Io.

She further explained that whilst Io was known for her reluctance to engage in spaech, she was not so with herself, and she valued her agreäns’s council as had all previous Ladies and Lords valued that of theirs. Moreover she said she would leave the platform with her agreän, with or without heirship, but whilst the former was her and Io’s choice she was happy to leave the latter choice to the Folk. The Folk were staggered that she would not accept Ladyship without her love having equal status. When she pointed out she only wished what her parents had the Folk agreed and approven, albeit half heartedly.

By the time Prudence was twenty she had four children, all fathered by cousins, of obvious intelligence and ability. Yet again gainst considerable opposition, for she was destined to become Lady Prudence and had been her parents’ heir from her fourteenth birthday, she became Wayland’s protégé and successor. Her view was simple: “Why are you aflait(7) of a Lady who is also a Guardian of the Way? We are preparing for the possibility of a difficult incursion. We need all the competence we can obtain. Whether I become Wayland’s official protégé and successor or not, he is my friend and mentor, and I shall always seek advice from him. Previous Ladies and Lords have always sought training from where they were best able to receive it. Why do you expect me to behave differently?”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05980010

GEORGE’S DEADTH AND LEGACY

THE MACHINERY MISTRESS, COUNCILLOR DITTANDER

Year 598

George was eighty-eight when he died. His legacy was a more than ten fold increase in the Folksʼ ability to feed themselfs, many machine tools, including screw cutting lathes, planers, shapers, milling machines, drilling machines, and much more. He left a veritable library of archived notes. His intention was to leave a record of everything he had ever come across for the machinists to develop, and five years before his deadth he had stopped writing because as he telt Lyre his wife, “I can’t think of anything else to write, Love.”

There are over three hundred Mistress and Master machiners now, led by the machinery Mistress Councillor Dittander, aegt thirty-nine, and her husband Vetch who between them not only have a complete understanding of George’s work but a vision of where it has to go next. George’s work with Mistress millwright Judith had produced the mechanisms for the water powered tools as well as the treadle and wind powered ones he originally contrived. He had produced a total revolution for the spinners and weavers with his spinning wheels and his memories, recalled towards the end of his life, and the last major work he wrote, of the details of what he had read as a young man of the Jacquard loom. The weavers had excitedly commissioned the woodworkers under Peregrine to make a Jacquard loom, though George dien before the loom produced its first cloth. His work on the chronometers which enabled ships to calculate exactly where they were had been of inestimable value to the crews of the explorer class ships, as had his transmitter receivers. His notes and drawings of steam engines, compression ignition engines and spark ignition engines are being studied and development work is in progress.

Lyre, aegt fifty-six at George’s deadth, at his insistence, knew she had to marry again because not to so do would be braeking faith with the man who had given her so much love and joy as well as nine children, their children and theirs too over the last thirty years. Her family’s most prized possessions are the two cribs George crafted. The one he crafted for his sons looked like a reaper binder on rockers, and the one he crafted for his daughters looked like a spinning wheel on rockers. In the rare event of them not being in use by his family they resided in the Master at arms Hall of Artefacts.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 05990010

Year 599

Dittander and Vetch are working on steam engines and compression ignition engines with a view to running the latter on vegetable oils and are also working on further developments to the generation of hydro-electricity. Groups of machinists are working on compressed air and its applications and on hydraulic devices. Prototypes of all are working, but considerable work remains to be done. The machiners accept they will not be able to use George’s notes on jet engines for many years.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06000010

Year 600

Lyre marries Larch who lost his wife to an unknown complaint three years before. He is a personal assistant to Willow the Mistress at Arms.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06010010

Year 601

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06020010

Year 602

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06030010

Year 603

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06040010

Year 604

The Keep now has electric lighting powered by a water powered generator in the Little Arder Force.(8) Plans to provide Outgangside and Dockside with similar are in place. There are still problems with making durable electric filaments and generally gas mantles are more durable, but electricity is far easier to deliver than gas.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06050010

Year 605

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06060010

Year 606

The first steam engined waggon is a success and a compression ignition engined waggon is being trialled. Despite initial setbacks more are planned and also steam engined ships. It is planned to fit the explorer class ships with auxiliary steam engines.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06070010

Year 607

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06080010

A SENSE OF URGENCY

ARTILLARY

Year 608

Nigel and Dabchick’s daughter Gabriëlla was noticeably one of the changt long before reaching her first birthday. Her agreän Scarff had likewise been obviously changt by the same age. Their children were all noticeably changt at birth. When Gage’s deputy Master huntsman Oddi was killed by a falling tree Gage chose Gabriëlla to replace him.

The discussions concerning the management of the next incursion which is expected in the next ten years become much more significant and urgent as the unpredictable event draws ever nearer. Despite the Folk’s agreement and approval sixteen years over that military training and weapons development should be started little of real significance had changed. Gabriëlla provided Gage with the fire and enthusiasm he’d not had from Oddi for years, and now he no longer had to shoulder the entire load of Master huntsmanship things started to change. He admitted to senior huntsmen that Oddi’s deadth had been a boon for it was only with Gabriëlla as his deputy that he realised how little Oddi had been doing. Many said they’d always wondered why Gage had chosen him in the first place and tolerated him for so long. Gage had shrugged and said, “In the beginning he was never still, always doing something that was to the benefit of all of us. Then as things became busier and I had more and more to do due to the increast numbers in the office I didn’t notice the changes. I never claimt to make no mistakes. I suspect that Oddi startet to become idle as his weighth increast which was when I was having regular conversations with Morris of the Kitchens(9) regarding warfare.” Gage laught before saying, “If he hadn’t been so fat, he could probably have movt fast enough to have avoidet that tree that killt him.”

After reading the volume of notes Gage had maekt from his conversations with Morris, Gabriëlla started extra training for guardians and increased recruitment to the guardians. She instituted one day a tenner guardian training for cross crafters to boost the numbers and over six hundred convinced by the arguments originally put forward by Will of the need for as much protection for the Folk during incursions as the Folk can provide are recruited. Gabriëlla and Gage engage in conversation with the miners and quarry crafters with a view to the manufacture of explosive packages that can be lofted by trebuchet. They have also instructed the machiners and foundry crafters to collaborate to develop cannon and muskets using George’s notes as a starting point. A huge trebuchet is constructed on the Gatherfield for experimental purposes and after three lunes of refining the fuses the packages are considered safe enough by the machiners to be lofted by the trebuchets in the Keep. All forty-three of the trebuchet teams had been trained in their use and the second Quarterday competitions for the Silver Trebuchet(10) thereafter included one shot with an explosive package.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06090010

Year 609

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06100010

Year 610

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06110010

Year 611

The population of the Folk now numbers eighty-eight thousand and the proportion of children though still high is much more manageable than of yore given the ever increasing number of young adults.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06110020

TRAINING AN ARMY

AND A NAVY TOO

Gabriëlla is now in charge of the security training of the two and a half thousand guardians, two-thirds of who are cross crafters, most primarily huntsmen. She has examined the contents of the armoury and developed weapons training with what she has rediscovered. The guardians are now being trained as soldiers and she has appointed Myles, a gifted swordswoman as Mistress armourer. Myles learnt the basics of weapons usage from Ursula who had been involved in historical re-enactment back on Earth. Myles has instructions to turn the guardians into fighters with the full range of weapons skills prior to their specialisation into squads of specific combinations of skills and abilities. After reading Gage’s notes on warfare Myles forms a group of senior guardians that started by reading and discussing the notes too, and then applying them to their activities.

Gabriëlla also stepped up the guardians involvement with the ingeniators who are those most aware of the subtleties of the defensive functions of the Keep. For the first time in millennia the Keep is an active defensive structure with all able bodied Folk, including children, being educated to operate it. Keep running(11) is now considered to be a necessary part of the education of all children. The Silver Trebuchet is now only one of more than a dozen highly contested awards involved in defending the Keep. Gage is finally beginning to feel comfortable regarding the future. Like other offices have had for decades he and Gabriëlla now have a team of managers who meet regularly.

The Council has recently ordered the planting of a further five million square strides(12) of trees surrounding those berount the exit from the Postern Deep,(13) and exercises of different styles of troop deployment via the Postern Deep are undertaken regularly. The Council has also decreed that all the explorer class ships shall be permanently fully crewed with both sailors and guardians in the way that Robert had insisted Explorer Yan would be from before the laying down of her keel. The vessels, now all equipped as warships, are still involved in the exploration of Castle but three are always within calling distance of the Keep to provide assistance should they be needed. At any one time no more than two of the six vessels may be docked at the Keep and only one may be docked at Dockside. As a result, docks capable of supplying and provisioning the ships and their crews have been built at several coastal sites both north and south of the Keep. Too, numerous smaller vessels are equipped as supply ships so the explorers do not need to dock to take on supplies and equipment. Modifications to the explorers are in hand so they may be retro fitted with the cannon that the foundries at Dockside have now started producing in volume.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06120010

Year 612

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06130010

Year 613

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06140010

Year 614

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06150010

Year 615

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06160010

Year 616

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06170010

Year 617

CASTLE THE SERIES – 06180010

Year 618

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorl, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennet, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, Axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin
116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly
117 Lyre, George, Irena, Lilly, Goshawk, Peregrine, Graill, Judith, Oak, Dabchick, Iola, Coaltit, Fulbert, Spoonbill, Parsley, Knapps, Gage, Ashridge, Eudes, Oullin, Bruana, Diana, Hville, Adela, Ingot, Herron, Rosebay, Gwyneth, Sheridan, Sturgeon, Jake, Maybells, Council, Yew, Will, Thomas, Rowan, Qvuine, Milligan, Joseph, Bluesher, Greensward, Morris, Grangon, Ryan, Hobby, Phœbe, Harris, Alec, Fiddil, Orcharder, Briar, Sagon, Storm, Durance, Charlotte
118 Iola, Adela, Knapps, Dabchick, Bruana, Beatrix, Bwlch, Burnet, Winefruit, Twailles, Saught, Spoonbill, Coaltit, Fulbert, Eudes, Coriander, Milligan, Hobby, Morgelle, Caoilté, Fritillary, Tuyere, Ælfgivu, Morwen, Bistort, Furnace, Turner, Froe, Otday, Otter, Luval, Molly, Ivy, Eorl, Geoffrey, Betony, Gosellyn, Smile, Phœbe, Cwm, Angharad, Vervain, Irena, Lilly, Falcon, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Charlotte, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Yew, Rowan, Spearmint, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Loosestrife, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Oliver, Claire, Gdana, Grebe, Ironwood Agrimony, Joseph, Gordon, Diana, Gander, Gibb, Lunelight, Pleasance, Bay, George, Jason, Briar, Barnet, Oak, Acorn, Knott, Ingot, Gage, Beth, Jed, Guy, Qvuine, Swegn, Mortice, Mike, Spruce, Linden, Will, Gale, Morris, Rock, Revæl, Rampion, Matilda, Silverherb, Wheatear, Brock, Bruin, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Edwin, Aspen, Musk, Joseph, Cynthia, Sannie, Lobelia, Merle, Laura, Warbler, Mint, Allia, Kevin, Laiqqa, Davvi, Madder, Robert, Crossbill, Barleycorn, Compass, Sextant, Sólarsteinn, Fulke, Bryony, Cobalt, Tress, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Jade, Phthalen, Tallia, Yumalle, Larov
119 Joseph, Briar, Sago, Swegn, Tress, Bryony, Gordon, Livette, Whin, Plane, Tunn, Lavender, Balsam, Cobalt, Sppleblossom, Lotus, Veronica, Mast, Flint, Peregrine, Bloom, Weälth, Coppicer, Lacy, Silverbean, Marjoram, Scorza, Gooseberry, Cove, Gowwan, Hugh, Earnest, Campion, Aaron, Skale, Xera, Horehound, Joaquim, Lorna, Leofric, Sabrina, Shag, Vinnek, Ruby
120 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Beth, Greensward, Will, Leech, Livette, Gloria, Peregr Janet, Ninija, Fiona, Isabel, Lilac,Ash, Beech, Jasmine, Rebecca, Francis, Yellowstone, Buttercup, Gage, Opal, Mist, Odo, Milligan, Thomas, Will, Gareth, Yew, Rowan, Basil, Hobby, Sagon, Campion, Joseph, Iola, Alwydd, Spearmint, Heron, Heidi, Rampion, Bowman, Gibb, Coaltit, Gordon, Douglas, Dabchick, Pleasance, Fergal, Åse, Leveret, Durance, Wayland, Laura, Stonecrop, Aaron, Nigel
121 Warbler, Jed, Thrift, Firefox, Iris, Otday, Gooseander, Harebell, Haw, Molly, Campion, Qvuine, Axel, Milligan, Veronica, Mast, Shag, Flint, Scoter, Sabrina, Marjoram, Peregrine, Clarice, Lingon, Cove, Gooseberry, Boarherb, Lorna, Horehound, George, Gowwan, Bloom, Leofric, Silverbean, Scorza, Flittermouse, Bryn, Hugh
122 Will, Gage, Mari, Ford, Milligan, Basil, Gudrun, Fergal, Rowan, Iola, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Hubert, Svetlana, Stanislav, Kathleen, Reef, Desmond, Raymond, Nigel Dabchick, Gabriëlla, Campion, Qvuine, Swegn, Nuulla, Gareth, Juniper, Leech, Thomas, Pilot, Yew, Janice, Ashlar, Slate, Whitethorn, Marble, Kæn, Berg, Linden, Lorna, Horehound, Banana, Veronica, Mast, Joaquim, Sabrina, Shag, Bloom, Cove, Hugh, Dlupé, Seela, Bullnut, Rutlan, Coppicer, Peregrine, Gowwan, Torrent, Irena, Chiffchaff, Lilly, Gosellyn, Cwm, Pim, Agrimony, Margæt, Otter, Suki, Whitethorn, Falcon, Mink, Ousel, Lyre, Dudaim, Yew, Sagon, Rowan, Jed, Turner, Otday, Hazel, Flint, Geoffrey, Eorl, Kæna, David, Harle, Clarity, Joseph, Milligan, Gibb, Gooseberry, Spoonbill, Ashdell, Bruana, Grangon, Pleasance, Heron, Basil, Alsike, Wolf, Zoë, Torrent, Columbine, Madder, Robert, Compass, Sólarsteinn, Sextant, Fulke, George, Peregrine, Molly, Falcon, Briar, Spoonbill, Dabchick, Honey, Bruana, Eudes, Fulbert, Grangon, Milligan, Gibb, Ingot, Sagon, Paul, Bulrush, Brightth, Happith, Douglas, Aaron, Nigel, Euan, Musk, Plume, Hobby, Courage, Truedawn, Nathan, Wolf, Geoffrey, Gosellyn, Steve, Axel, Yew, Zoë, Flint, Zephyr, Fletcher, Orkæke, Lunelight, Damson, Agrimony, Æneascoffey, Siskin, Brock, Bruin, Vinnek, Turner, Otday, Havern
123 Veronica, Mast, Zoë, Torrent, Columbine, Zrine, Zeeëend, Zlovan, Zylanna, Zylenna, Eolwaena, Tualla, Quoylay, Isdeän, Qheræce, Molleande, Sayley, Sennen, Waggon, Ivy, Vivienne, Nicola, Minyet, Morris, Dabchick, Iola, Geoffrey, Godfrey, Roebuck, Letta, Redstart, Russell, Iffan, Ælle, Fulcrum, Constant, Catfish, Lingwood, Fyrday, Vvavva, George, Lyre, Sagon, Graill, Joanna, Fiddil, Orcharder, Brock, Bruin, Judith, Storm, Caldera, Beth, Falcon, Warbler, Fiona, Isabel, Greensward, Jed, Fergal
124 Eleanor, Fuchsia, Woad, Bruana, Iola, Fulbert, Dabchick, Coaltit, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Noah, Bittersweet, Veronica, Mast, Coriander, Oak, Jason, George, Shag, Sabrina, Wolf, Joseph, Howell, Gervaise, Lilac, Rebecca, Jasmine, Fescue, Joella, Ash, Beech, Cattail, Guy, Molly, Beatrix, Cwm, Aida, Sharky, Lucimer, Wayland, Beth, Gage, Irena, Lilly, Eliza, Council, Gareth, Thomas, Yew, Bullnut, Flittermouse, Joaquim, Scorza, Aaron, Weälth, Silverbean, Hotroot, Shoveler, Gooseberry, Leofric, Bryn, Prawn, Gail, Dlupé, Rutlan, Flint,, Gorse, Cove, Weir, Milligan, Ruby, Janet, Alison, Olga, Miels, Ysteil, Horehound, Gowwan
125 Iola, Gage, Milligan,George, Oak, Axel, Josephine, Terry, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill,Jason, Silverbean, Mystery, Veronica, Geoffrey, Euan, Laslette, Douglas, Annella, Rampion, Mist, Lunelight, Damson, Æneascoffey, Jimmy, Berry, Aaron, Yew, Joseph, Joan, Bjarni, Polecat, Hamish, Gordon, Ross, Alastair, Céline, Midnight, Morag, Morgelle, Lillian, Tussock, Basil, Hobby, Suki, Irena, Nigel, Wayland, Siskin, Judith, Sagon, Janet, Ninija, Shader, Ivy, Beth, Mallard, Wryneck, Echo, Amber, Rowan, Weir, Will, Gale, Thomas, Gareth, Lilly, Gage, Jessica, Mike, Spruce, Harmony, Gevlik, Storm, Heron, Jamesstorm, Modesty, Solace, Timothy, Langstroth, Dadant, Io, Gdana, Liam, Gibb, Abigail, Ashridge, Morris, Dabchick, Ivana, Bruana, Miranda, Spokeshave, Manley, Field, Rose, Bling, Bling, Bittern, Madder, Robert, Heidi, Rampion, Wayland, Vlæna, Sooz, Alfalfa, Prudence, Spelt, Treen, Gramot, Greensward, Saithe, Falcon, Ripple, Sdorn, Zandra, Tenon, Hale, Beatrix, Vervain, Cwm, Amethyst, Mint, Blackdyke, Leech, Gwendoline, Pol, Bekka, Marcy, Drive, Brock, Bruin, Gervaise, Zoë, Tansy, Craig, Rock, Revæl, Sharky, Lucimer, Fiona, Warbler, Granite, Gosellyn, Eyebright, Julia

126 Dittander, Vetch, Axel, Squill, Bwlch, Beth, Granite, Falcon, Julia, Heron, Iola, Revæl, Rock, Judith, Storm, Pepperspice, Godfrey, Gibb, Gareth, Willow, Tansy, Craig, Gosellyn, Lilly, Irena, Blackdyke, Janet, Gale, Gage, Will, Mari, Ford, Weir, Siskin, Rampion, Heidi, Aaron, Nigel, Wayland, Prudence, Vervain, Io, Heron, George, Lyre, Peregrine, Larch, Dabchick, Gabriëlla, Scarff, Oddi, Myles, Ursula

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Castle lights, the aurora.
2 Lunetimes, menstruation.
3 Males, testes.
4 Longth, penis.
5 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft. The default is the feminine, like most but not all Folk words. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
6 Petals, labia.
7 Aflait, frightened or afraid.
8 Force, in this context a waterfall.
9 Morris was an ex RSM of infantry, Regimental Sergeant Major, before his incursion.
10 The Silver Trebuchet is a foot high working model of a trebuchet cast in silver awarded to the winner of the Second Quarterday accuracy competition.
11 Keep running, an activity where children in groups of their own choice compete to run from a given starting point in the Keep to a given end point, also in the Keep. The activity is over seen by the Master at arms office staff and occurs every day of the year other than quarterdays. The rewards for success are confectionery and status. The activity has been going on for centuries. The intention is that children learn their way berount the Keep, for its design is complex and deliberately confusing which is a part of its defensive nature. Attackers who managed to access the Keep interior would be constantly tricked in to dead ends, routes that take them away from their objective, and areas where they could be slaughtered by the hundreds by defenders they couldn’t even see never mind fight.
12 Five million square strides are approximately a thousand acres or four hundred hectares.
13 The Postern Deep, an alternative entry and exit that goes under the Keeps walls and the Little Arder river to emerge in a limestone cave that is surrounded by trees. For further details and explanations as to how it remains hidden and secure see chapter 3.

up
16 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Was Wondering...

...how we were going to get to the next Incursion time in just over one chapter. Thirty years at a time turned out to be the answer.

I'm disappointed that the explorer ships didn't accomplish anything significant enough to the basic storyline to be included here, other than their being refitted as warships at the very end of the chapter and obliged to stay within one day of civilization.

Have they explored far enough south, or across the ocean, to have any idea whether there are other people out there? Apparently by 580, wireless communication had largely eliminated the danger of a extended voyage ending in disaster with no one left to tell the tale -- the information would return even if the voyagers didn't -- and they've had 38 years to improve on that. In the Folk leaders' current mindset, anyone out there should be viewed as a potential enemy and invasion threat. (Especially if those people might be getting periodic incursions and technology boosts themselves, very possibly more recently than the Folk did.)

As I think I said last time I commented, I'm disappointed that the Folk feel they have to prepare for an actual premeditated armed invasion next time. No incursion, not even the original one, ever consisted of a single group or even came from the same moment in time, so there's no evidence for one. And if Earth (or one of its nations) learned how to make the trip and wanted to colonize, it wouldn't seem that they'd worry much about a "scheduled" incursion time, unless one assumes one of those "fabric of the universe" concepts where the curtain between Castle and Earth only opens at a specific point in Castle's space-time. (It's clearly not that way on Earth, since, as noted, the travelers don't come from exactly the same place and time.)

The tech having improved on Earth over a half-century to the point that, to quote Clarke, it's "indistinguishable from magic", and thus beyond logical projection, is certainly possible. But I don't think that can be defended against in the same way as the military invasion they seem to be preparing for. It's not just that they're at least figuratively bringing a trebuchet to a gunfight. (Actually -- see Poul Anderson's The High Crusade -- that can work, under wildly improbable circumstances, such as the superior galactic civilizations never having invented IR sensors (g).)

But I really think the objectives of an antagonist would have changed as well, to the point where besieging a castle and then braving boiling oil, labyrinthine floors and the like so that somebody can reach the top and shout "I'm king of the hill!" probably isn't what the mid 21st-century thinks of as a glorious victory. (Unless Castle is being attacked by one of Ursula's old re-enactment groups.)

We'll see, I guess, what the next Incursion brings, unless (as the author's note on top seems to suggest) the original "owners" are about to come back and change the terms.

Eric

CTS

Originally the material that is now Chs 125 and 126 was merely a vehicle to get from Ch 124 to Ch 127. The outline of CTS was written decades ago including the end which is now in Chs 127 and 129. The work was not written linearly but oft by following a major character through the work. I also wrote stand alone bits and pieces as they occurred to me. As the work developed and gradually 'filled in' some material had to fall in the time slot that is now Chs 125 and 126.

We know from Chs 125 and 126 that all six Explorers do return. I have deliberately not posted anything to do with the 'Explorer' class vessels. I have some material but it is sketchy and neeeds a lot of time spending on it. There are also numerous other omissions which I have the vaguest of outlines for, some of which will in the time frame that is covered by Chs 125 and 126. The intention was to produce material that could be posted so that I can post the end of the work, Ch 129.

There have in fact been incursions where the incursionists were from the same places and the same time. Although not explicitly stated it is implied that the incursion of the Puritans was one such and the incursion that included the inhabitants of a high security gaol was another. It is not usual for the incursionists to be known to one another but it is implied in the first incursion, Ch 2 or Ch 128, that there were large groups that were known to each other.

All becomes clear in Ch 127 where the explanations are written, maybe a disapointment to some, but it was written a long time ago and was always intended to be the denouement.

Ch 128 is essentially Ch 2. The material was originally intended to be in the Ch 128 position and included as Ch 2 when I started posting CTS in order to give some explanations without giving too much away. I had to smile at your use of the term space-time for reasons that will becomer clear.

Ch 129 concerns the incursion of 619.

Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen