Project: Stingray Chapter 21

Printer-friendly version

Delphine adjust how she was sitting as she pilot’s Stingray. She was off the coast of Hawaii checking out an underwater volcano that was slowly building. The past few days she has been taking water temperatures, water samples, and recording the activity of the trimmers.

“How are things going, Maanushi?”

“Everything is fine. I’ve almost collected all the samples I needed.” Maanushi looks at the samples she has collected so far.

“How about you, Leinani? Is everything alright?” Delphine looks back towards Maanushi and Kupe’s only child.

“I’m fine. I have enough water samples.” Leinani writes down the last sample she took.

“Okay.”

Delphine looks over towards Kupe, who sat beside her “I managed to locate an engine for your boat. It’s on the east coast and from a scallop boat that is being scrapped.”

“How much is the engine?” Kupe was happy Delphine was able to locate the motor.

“Don’t worry about the price. My father is buying it through the boat company. So, we can arrange payments and such.” Delphine figures she could help them out with getting their boat back up and going.

“Thanks for helping us out, Delphine.”

“You’re welcome.” Delphine goes back to piloting.

“Man, the outside water temperature is extremely hot.” Leinani was watching the outside water temperature surrounding Stingray.

“Don’t worry, Stingray can withstand the temperatures.” Delphine hopes he can. She never did test his temperature tolerance.

In the next two hours, Delphine keeps circling the underwater volcano. The passive sonar on Stingray starts to ping.

“I wonder who that is?” Delphine runs the signal through the computer system.

Delphine watches as the results show up on the screen. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

“So, what did the computer say it is?” Kupe was curious.

“It’s a Russian SSN. Which one, I don’t know, but I do know its Russian and it shouldn’t be this close to Hawaii.” Delphine knew that from her
time in the service.

“Could it be following us?” Maanushi was curious.

“I doubt it, but let's see.” Delphine changes course and moves closer to the volcano.

Delphine watches as the Russian sub skirts the outside of their location. She figures they were trying to identify what was making the whale sounds that Stingrays engines make. A funny idea pops into Delphine’s mind.

“Maanushi, can you take one of those probes we have and reprogram it to emit the clock sound from Peter Pan?” Delphine glances towards Maanushi.

A smile appears on Maanushi’s face. She liked the idea and starts taking one of their probes to make the adjustments. Once the probe is ready, Maanushi puts the probe in the dive chamber.

“Alright, it's ready.” Maanushi looks towards Delphine.

“Dropping probe.” Delphine fills the dive chamber remotely and open the door.

The probe drops into the ocean and the motor kicks in. Kupe programs it to follow the sub. They could hear the tick, tocking sound as it heads
towards the Russian sub. They watch as the Russian sub investigates the probe.

While the sub is investigating the tick-tocking sound. She heads in the opposite direction. Delphine watches as the sub goes in the opposite direction. She makes sure, it leaves US territorial waters.

“Okay, they have finally left.” Delphine punches in the coordinates for the old Coast Guard base.

It takes them three days to get home. Delphine wasn’t in a hurry and neither were her co-workers. She pulls up to the pier of the NOAA station and dock.

Delphine goes about shutting everything down. She spotted Tom up on the pier waiting for her. It was late in the evening when they docked.
She steps out onto Stingray’s hull and tosses the lines to Tom.

Tom has been waiting for at least an hour, when he spots Stingray’s running lights, as he surfaced near the pier. Delphine has been gone for a week with her crew doing scientific research. He watches as the hatch opens and Delphine steps out onto the hull.

A smile appears on his face as he looks at Delphine. She looked nice in the skin-tight suit she was wearing. The suit had the picture of the Stingray from the movie Down Periscope on a patch.

“Hey sweetie, catch.” Delphine tosses a line to Tom.

Tom catches the line and secures it. He catches the second and third lines as Delphine tosses them. Once Stingray was secured, Maanushi, Kube, and Leinani start unloading all the samples they collected.

Tom helps them, while Delphine secures Stingray. It takes them about an hour to get everything out of Stingray. Once they were done, Delphine locks Stingray and arms his security system.

Maanushi notices Delphine walking away form Stingray ‘are you leaving Stingray, here?”

“Yeah. I’m too tired to navigate him back home.” Delphine covers up a yawn.

“It should be safe here. There is a security guard on duty.” Maanushi has docked their boat at the Coast Guard station without any problems.

“I’m not worried. Stingray can’t be started without his security key.” Delphine walks to the parking lot with Maanushi and her family.

Tom opens the passenger door for Delphine. She gets in and fastens her seat belt. Tom walks around and sits down on the driver's side.

“Where to sweetie?” Tom looks at Delphine.

“Your place. I need a shower and you.” Delphine was tired.

A smile appears on Tom’s face.

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What is a Russian sub

Samantha Heart's picture

Doing so close to Haiwi? Disturbing & sting ray is def. Defenseless except to contact the Navy or the USCG

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Another interesting chapter.

WillowD's picture

And now I'm wondering if the Russian sub is significant to the plot or is just colorful background. With Lady Dragon you can never tell for sure.

Thanks for the chapter.

To sure?

Jamie Lee's picture

Delphine is rather nonchalant about Stingray's security. Except for the electrical shock if someone tries breaking into it, what keeps someone from towing it off?

Others have feelings too.