Cross Country Disconnect - 12 Caryn’s Still Running

Printer-friendly version


Cross Country Disconnect - 12
Caryn’s Still Running


By Jessica C



Gary opened his big mouth and was challenged...
He saw no way of losing but did...
Homecoming over, State Cross-country Meet…
Clothes of many colors…
=^_^=


It was nice going to school on Monday with people congratulating us for how well we had done. I was a little surprised to find out that the Award Recognition would be for the football team as well as us; despite their having lost their quarter-finals game. However, I wasn’t upset, not much.

I did decide to focus on the Cross-Country teams’ accomplishments and recognition. Newspaper and radio personalities were there for us.

It was the regional newspaper sportswriter Ms. Kendra Howitz who interviewed both Sarai and Matt as well as brought pictures from the meet. She spoke to our assembly with pictures being posted on a screen. She closed with a picture of my fifth-place finish. “From the looks of it; Gary could have been a girl with his running skirt, his jersey out being a sweat-ridden outfit along with his long sweaty locks waving in the wind.” I along with others laughed.

The students roared, while Principal Collins wore his usual frown where it comes to me. But nothing could take away from the pride we brought to the school. When the assembly was over Kendra came over to me, having spoken with others.

“You young man made quite an accomplishment. Do you think you can win the boys’ title next year?” I said thanks, but when I hesitated in speaking about next year. She whispered, “This is off the record, but might Caryn be running this time next year?”

I said, “You seemingly do your homework. We’ll have to wait and see.”

=^_^=


Tuesday was a bad news, good news day. The bad news pertained to the holidays and Sarai, Katie, Ashley, and other girls going holiday shopping as they had years before. Sarai started, “We have a tradition we don’t want to break, and that means when we go shopping you’re not to go with us. But don’t worry you and I will still be doing things together. Like going to school play this Friday.”

She said, “You should ask some of the girls in your own class, maybe they’ll invite you to go shopping with them?”

The good news came at lunchtime and I found myself between Hope and her cousin Jennifer. They asked me to eat with them and their friends Monica Thoms and Tiffany Wells. I asked if Patti Duncan could be in our group. I knew the girls but I wasn’t yet close friends. They had a quick talk and called Patti over. It was decided we would go shopping Saturday for something to wear as a group maybe more.

Friday, Sarai and I went to the school play, where Principal Collins commented, “It’s strange to have three girls and a boy together and the boy is the one in a pretty skirt.” I thanked him for complimenting the dress and then we walked on. Sarai and others thanked me for not making a scene.

Ms. Jacobi, who is not high on girls thinking they have to wear dresses, complimented me, “It is good to see the effort you make in wearing a dress.” Sarai and I both thank her, as we knew she went out of her way near the Principal to be kind.

The play was fun as we knew almost everyone in it. We stayed out later as it was the first time Sarai hadn’t a curfew since mid-September.

The next day Katie was ready to go shopping, she nicely told me not to dress in anything complicated to get in and out of. I knew where they were going shopping and I was happy when I found out we were going in the other direction.

There was Hope, and Tiffany Wells, as well as Monica Thoms, Patti, and Jennifer Janz, and another girl I hadn’t remember. Staci was an honor student who attended more advanced classes. Staci made a special point to greet Patti and me. “I want you to know this is one of my insanity activities.”

Patti joked but Staci might have taken her seriously. Patti said, “What’s insane about going shopping with Caryn and me?”

Staci said, “I’ve noticed Caryn; I think she’s pretty sharp. I think it must be stimulating the way she carries herself. If I’m right Caryn haven’t your grades become better.” She was correct, but I wasn’t sure how she knew it. The first few stores were mostly looking until Staci and Hope drew our attention to some skater dresses. It took all of us to agree and each person purchases one of them to begin our holiday outfit. Today we all bought white tights to go with them. In the following weeks, we would agree on other adornments.

I had bought a skirt outfit, another blouse, and a purse by early afternoon and got a message from my mother. She wrote, “You already spent some ninety dollars. That was to be for your whole day. You do have a $30 buffer, but I hope you choose wisely and not go over that.”

Part of me was very happy, as Gary I was a little upset. If I as Gary had spent that much, I would have been seriously talked to. But as Caryn, Mom let me know I had another thirty dollars I could spend. It was fun shopping with my new group. I knew more of the boys, classes, and things they talked about. “Jennifer, I want to thank you for encouraging me to try my skater dress. I’d have never known I could look good in a pinkish-gray dress.”

Jennifer smiled, “I think you may have been the last to know. We’re thankful you got it and chose to be part of the group.” The next thing we did was to go get earrings and they insisted I get my ears pierced. “You should get earrings of Tanzanite. You are going to be seventeen in December aren’t you?”

That was true but how did she know. When I asked, she smiled and said she just knew. The blue and silver earrings do go well together, but they cost me over thirty dollars. We capped the afternoon by having pizza.

I was pretty sure the other car was filled like Hope’s was. I had a blouse in my lap, my earrings in, and my pursed tucked next to me. Four skater dresses were laid nicely upon the shopping bags in the back of the SUV, which had a clean sheet covering the floor.

Hope took home Patti and Monica first and said I was on her way to Jennifer’s. Hope parked before we got to my house, “I want you to know it’s nice having you as part of the group. I want you over next Saturday for a sleepover. And some time to have a double date Zack and me, with you and Sarai.”

I spoke up, “Woe! I need to have more time as Gary.”

Hope got serious, “I understand, but we’ve let you and Patti into our group and I don’t know you as the good friend I want you to be. The sleepover would probably just be you, Jenn, and me. But I’m also serious about double dating. I would like you to be a best female friend is that too much?” I heard the term before, Ashley and Sarai were BFF. Katie had her friend move away last summer, I knew that hurt. I never imagined the term being used about me.

=^_^=


Sunday, I went to church as Gary and was happy that people left me alone. Dad was happy to have me home as Gary. A family dinner was welcomed and quiet. Hope called me and four of us shoppers got online and visited. Sarai had called and wanted to come to see what I got. She had some things she had bought as well.

She got here before five and I showed her my clothes and makeup. She and Katie were amused by all the makeup I bought. Mom wasn’t to know about it yet as I had used my extra money to buy it. Sarai took me to Katie’s room and they set out to try different makeup schemes on me. We got called downstairs for a snack and I sat and watched part of the football game Dad was watching.

When Dad looked over to me he joked, “And which of the two of you is really here?” Sarai reminded me that I was wearing makeup.

“It’s me, dad! I’m the same person.”

We went back to my room and I changed into my skater dress and then into my skirt outfit. Come, eight-thirty I walked Sarai out to her car and gave her a goodnight kiss before she left. Sarai said, “I know I’m the one who requested the two groups and I think that’s good. But I’m jealous of you having other girls around.”

=^_^=


The coming week was the last full week before Thanksgiving. Other than running an hour every other day I was relaxing. It was time to work on reports and study more. My tech friends were happy to see me, but standoffish if Caryn was mentioned or seen.

Monday afternoon I had my class on Women’s studies with Ms. Jacobi. The class was having a lively discussion until she mentioned Thanksgiving. Ms. Jacobi asked, “I was wondering if I might ask of you, Caryn; if you’d be willing to dress as one of the Pilgrim women and do a presentation on what it might have been like for them.”

I challenged the request, “Why me and not one of the regular girls? I’d be happy to help with a report, but I’m trying to spend more time as Gary.”

She said, “I’ve asked a week ahead of time for next Monday and Tuesday before the holiday break. If you bring a note from your folks about being Gary. I will honor their request.”

“It’s not that, I’d be willing to wear the outfit. It probably could be interesting, but I don’t want people telling me what I have to do as Caryn.”

She asked to see me after class, which I did. “I’m sorry, I won’t ask anything like that again in class. I appreciate you being a good sport and open to learning about the other side of your world. I would suggest you find out about Constance Hopkins. She would have been 15 or 16 by the first thanksgiving. And to help you a little, her father was Stephen Hopkins.”

I saw Sarai at lunchtime and she was nice enough to listen to me complain. She suggested we go looking for costumes after school. Most of the days were regular school days. Sarai and I went to a party store after school. But I thought the costumes would have trouble standing up to trick or treating let alone two days. She mentioned the theatrical store in the next city over.

We went there, Christmas, Father Time and Thanksgiving were among their larger displays. Sarai mentioned we were looking for women’s pilgrim clothes. Cathryn, our saleswoman, asked if we were from a church as there was a discount for such groups. She apologized and suggested we consider the gray Puritan Women’s dress and outfit as there were two with one likely to fit. Looking to Sarai she said, “The light blue won’t do, you don’t want to be seen as a younger girl do you?”

Sarai giggled, “No we don’t but it’s for Gary’s assignment in Women’s studies.” Cathryn looked at me with raised an eyebrow.

“Well, I’m leery about renting it out to a boy as boys tend to be rougher on our costumes. They are $55 per day, but if it’s for school I discount them to forty dollars a day plus the deposit. But if you’re rough on the costume it could cost you the deposit plus a replacement fee.”

I frown as I didn’t expect it to cost me a hundred dollars before taxes and whatever. Sarai speaks up for me. “He’s good as a girl, she’s not hard on clothes at all. Her sister says Caryn has gotten much better with her boy clothes and her room as well.”

The saleswoman stifles a laugh, “Well if you’ll decide while you’re here, promise to have it back Tuesday by 5:00 in good condition and we don't dicker further? Well, I’d be willing to rent the outfit for $55 including the bonnet and other things. But I’d need $15 if you want and can fit into the shoes. That’s roughly seventy-five dollars with tax.”

We take time to think, and I text my Mom. It took fifteen minutes for her to get back to me. “It appears being Caryn gets you into more and more things. It sounds great at the price she’s giving you. Make sure you thank, Catherine James. She’s big in community theater, she and I have met a couple of times.”

I tell Ms. James thanks and that I’d take her offer. She knew my mother and sent greetings back. I tried on the dress and the plain white slip that went under it. She said, “They didn’t have bras back then but you’ll need something to fill out the top.” She found a pair of shoes that fit me and was amused to hear about me. “Tell Ms. Jacobi, if she could pacify more boys like you. That I’d be happy.”

When we tried to correct her, she said, “I know Ms. Jacobi and I know she’d never do that.” She asked me, “Did you wear a pair of panties just for the fitting, or were you wearing them already?” Sarai and I explained how things had come to pass.

=^_^=


The rest of the week was fairly good. Though I got hassled when others learned that I was to dress as a pilgrim woman. Wednesday and Thursday, I was with my computer geek friends. But I could tell Val and Hank were keeping their distance from me. Our friend John joke, “Don’t worry, what he has won’t rub off on you.” He paused, “Unless he’s wearing pink.” We all laughed and it did help a little.

I had done some research online for Constance Hopkins. I connected to library articles, books, and even two of her present-day relatives. One family sent me information not found elsewhere. Constance had helped take care of many when sickness began on the Mayflower. Her step-brother Oceanus was born on the voyage as well and she helped her weakened step-mother.

Friday evening for our date Sarai and I went bowling. I went wearing slacks, but emotionally I felt I was Caryn. Ashley and others stopped to talk with Sarai, and I felt part of the group. When we parted the others encouraged me to have a good day shopping.

=^_^=


Saturday morning Hope, Jenn, and I were out early to a nature preserve. It was chilly enough that we didn’t stay much more than a half-hour. Then I was in designer jeans but changed into a skirt and top that were easier to change if I tried on clothes.

Today, there were five of us shopping at the Bridgewater Mall and shopping center. We had stopped at the food court and shared two snacks along with each having drinks. Tiffany mentioned how she only had cash as her mother was against her having credit cards.

Our group had attracted the eyes of a few boys, at least two were bad. We had left there and were walking to a store when a white boy grabbed Tiffany’s purse and knocked her down; another boy knocked down Hope and took her purse. They turned and were ready to taunt us, but I was already chasing after them. They sped up sure that I’d stop or tire out. That didn’t happen as we ran the length of the mall and they ran up the escalator. The white boy turned right coming off the escalator and I jump the end of the railing to grab his jacket and then tripped his leg. The black kid turned and yelled, “Travis don’t!” Soon I felt a hit to my shoulder and then my arm.

Quickly, the security guard, Howard, stepped on his hand and kicked away whatever he had. I soon heard him call 911 and request police and medics.

I didn’t want help but Rose and Patti were there and insisted I cooperate. The shock had kept me from feeling the pain until I reached the back of my shoulder and saw blood on my fingers. Then it hurt badly. Patti was the one who said, “You’re likely to have a black eye as well.” That was when I kind of remembered the boy trying to kick me.

I asked, “Patti did he damage my blouse?”

Hope was the first to reply, “You should have let him run away. Your safety was much more important than either purse.”

I asked, “Was that boy carrying your purse or Tiff’s?”

The medics were there and soon the police. They allowed Hope to hold my other hand, but it was the medics and police I had to talk to. One policeman said, “You mentioned this boy was Travis, how do you know him?”

“I don’t know him. The black boy who was with him yelled back, ‘Travis don’t!’ That was when I felt something hit my shoulder.”

The officer said, “That stabbing escalated the crime to a serious felony. He should have listened to his partner. Did you see the black boy?”

I was being placed on a stretcher, taken outside, and lifted into the ambulance. I was taken to the city hospital and was soon in the emergency room. The young doctor who first came to see me was crude and the head nurse Arlene Connors soon called out, "Dr. Campbell or Dr. Martin, We need one of you pronto?” She said to the one she excused, “We’ll talk later.”

Dr. Judith Martin was soon there, “So are you the brave one who caught our purse snatcher?” It sounded like he too had been brought to this hospital to be checked out. He was later taken and booked.

While she was checking me, Judith asked, “Was he slow, or are you that fast?” Hope spoke up, telling Judith about me taking fifth in the boy’s state meet. Judith said, “You know in these situations we encourage a person not to do what you did. That’s just because a person can get hurt like this time you might have been worse, if not killed. I commend you for apprehending him, but help doesn’t always come in time.”

A nurse helped take off my blouse, but there was a slit as well as blood in the back as well as my sleeve. Dr. Judith commented, “You make an attractive girl. We’ll work to keep you that way.”

Nurse Arlene spoke up, “Gary’s mother, Christine Miller, is here; is it okay for her to come back?”

Seemingly my mom needed to be calm before Dr. Judith approved. The doctor thanked Hope, “Hope is it; I want to thank you for being here with her.” Judith paused, “Do you want me to refer to you as Gary or Caryn?” Hope squeezed my other hand before she left.

Mom said, “Darling, I’m glad they’re saying you will be okay. How do you feel? Have they been able to give you any pain medication?”

Dr. Judith introduced herself and commented, “She was kicked in the head and might have been unconscious for a moment. We won’t give her any sedation until we can rule out a concussion. That could take three to twelve hours.”

Dad and Katie were soon there as well as Sarai, but none of them were allowed back to me. Dr. Martin sewed a torn tendon in my arm and stopped two bleeders near my shoulder. She used medical glue and butterfly bandages on both injuries hoping to avoid scars.

“Now young woman, maybe I should be asking you as Gary, but I’ll ask you. Would it be okay for us to put you in a room on the OB/GYN floor? It would be the best place to keep reporters and busybodies from annoying you.”

Mom and I simultaneously said the women’s floor would be good. It took another hour for them to prepare my room and transfer me up there. In the meantime, Dr. Michele Watts and Dr. Nelsen came in together. Dr. Michele asked how I felt and introduced Dr. Kevin Nelsen. Hearing I was okay she asked, “Would it be okay if Dr. Nelsen is your doctor in the hospital?”

I asked about her or Dr. Judith, but she assured me that Dr. Nelsen was good and one of their Clinic’s doctors that works primarily in the hospitals. I was informed that Dr. Judith as an ER specialist and surgeon wouldn’t follow me up to the floor. That her work on me was all done. I was informed that the tendon stitches would be absorbed in time.

My visits the first hour on the floor were limited to family and somehow Sarai and Katie were both my sisters. It was after six-thirty that Hope and Jenn were allowed to visit me. A silence came over the room until Hope spoke up. “We know you’re the girlfriend Sarai, but we’re her girlfriends too. She’s becoming special to us and we’d rather there not be a tension.”

Katie, being a little protective said, “If there’s a tension you are the ones losing out.”

My parents quickly spoke up, “No one is pushed out and there needs not to be any tension. We’re thankful she has groups of friends who care.” Mom was the one who reiterated that it was Katie and Sarai who suggested I have another group of friends for holiday shopping.

I had numerous texts from friends and others wanting to know if I was alright. Even more about my running down the boy and getting injured. I made the news and the first boy Travis at sixteen was charged as an adult. The news said the other boy had dropped the purse and it too was found. They were expecting a second arrest.

While my eye was going to turn black and blue they determined I didn’t have a concussion so by 9:00 I had my first pain shot. Mom, Dad, Sarai, and Katie all volunteered to stay the night with me. But the nurse and I were able to convince all of them I would rest better left alone.

One of the nurses, Anna, walked with me at 10 and midnight. She was on a seven to seven shift. We walked down and looked into the nursery and saw the babies. When Anna asked if I wished I could have babies, she called my pause, “a pregnant pause.’ I blushed and we both giggled. I appreciated that she said the blush looked good on me. When I became restless at three in the morning, she helped me to relax my painting my toenails.

I was on my tablet which indicated to Patti that I was awake and online. Patti and I chatted fifteen more minutes before another nurse told me it was time to get back to sleep. Despite saying I wouldn’t sleep; I was asleep ten minutes after shutting down my tablet.

I was awakened at 5:30 for medication and next after six by Dr. Nelsen. He said my injury sights looked good and if they stayed that way come 11:00 a.m. he would release me to go home. It was at ten-thirty when he came back and my parents were there when he shared new information. “Gary, I see you already have lower than normal testosterone production. I want to inform you that stress from such events as this can actually cause hormone production to diminish slightly. I see you already have some soft tissue development. That might warrant having testosterone shot to arrest any more production like that.”

I look at my parents and we talked. I feared that an injection of testosterone would cause more development as a man. Dr. Nelsen agreed that it could happen. He got Dr. Michele on speakerphone and we talked some more. Dr. Michele informed my parents and me that if my estrogen level went higher that it could set off alarms come the spring and require more testing by the athletic association. She did admit that the problem was likely temporary. And even if it set off the alarms for other tests; it should show that the estrogen was natural and not medically induced.

Dr. Nelsen went on record against my decision to have no hormone shots either way.

=^_^=


I probably wouldn’t run down a robber the next time, but I was proud I had. I didn’t want a lot of people asking me questions all the time. I knew the police would need to speak to me to get an official statement. I allowed the newspaper reporter Kendra Howitz to interview me as well. That also led to a news reporter doing a human interest story for a local community segment…

To be continued…

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

News reporters

Podracer's picture

No news is good news? Gary's winning ways in competition haven't raised much public interest so far, sticking one's head above the parapet must surely attract the wrong attention eventually. I wouldn't. Human interest can also include the sub-human interest.
Anyway, it's good to see that Caryn is gaining more friends, and wasn't hurt worse. Going to affect the running for a while eh?

"Reach for the sun."

News reporter reply...

What you say is true. Caryn and her parents wanted to choose one person to write her story. Maybe she'll learn a hard lesson along the way... Gary/Caryn likes being able to talk to adults. This time Caryn was hurt by chance. Thanks for the comment Podracer.
There have been rude comments and problems, but it is Gary's nature not to focus on them.

Hugs of thanks, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

This attion on Carin

Samantha Heart's picture

could go both ways good as she did something good, but also bad as it brings more attention to her. So yeah a double edged sword.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Comments make it interesting...

This is why comments or readers are helpful and interesting. I thought the problem would be the injuries. Those responding see our vulnerability if we're known more by others. I do appreciate hearing that concern.

Love back, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I always though that

bff stood for best friend forever, not best female friend. It is 4 AM and I can't stop myself from binge reading this wonderful story.

As it's said, "no good deed goes unpunished"

Jamie Lee's picture

Maybe Gary hasn't really put things together, but the boys he knows have started treating him differently. Aside from gaming with them, when was the last time any of them wanted to just hang out with him. Unlike the boys, the girls want Gary with them as Caryn. And they treat her better than the guys treat Gary. The guys may not know how to relate to him now, but they could at least try better than they are doing.

There are two minds about Ms. Jacobi's singling out Gary to play the part of a pilgrim woman for a class presentation on their life. One mind understands she wanted Gary to learn about how they supposedly lived, it's just part of the class. The other mind says she was way off base in her request when she could have chosen one of the other girls in class. Picking Gary specifically seem like she was putting him on the spot and making it so he looked bad if he refused. Whether asking during class or after class, she was still setting him up to look hypocritical if he refused. He did have a very valid point, she had no right to order Caryn to do anything Caryn didn't want to do. And make no mistake, the way she told him was an order from his teacher.

The girls made the mistake at the mall of carrying their purses so that they could be taken. Had they had the straps looped around their heads and shoulder, snatching them would have been harder. But if those guys were so intent on snatching the purses, carrying the purses that way might have gotten the girls hurt. More so as one guy was carrying a knife and not afraid to use it.

It wasn't said, but how many who called were the guys Gary hangs with? It seems it's the girls who are more concerned for Gary health. Wonder why that's so? Maybe because Caryn has proven to be a good friend who doesn't treat others with contempt because they're different? Or because Caryn brings out a personality and hidden emotions that Gary has kept tamped down? In other words, Caryn is more of a whole person than Gary allows himself to be.

That doctor who treated Caryn with contempt, needs to go back and take a refresher on his main job in the ER. And it isn't to look down his nose at people who disgust him. He isn't required to accept how a person lives, just to treat the reason they came to the ER.

Isn't it a bit premature to talk about hormones? The information is good to have, but should that discussion wait until Caryn's injuries have healed? And Gary has had a complete physical? And if necessary, talked with an endocrinologist?

Talking about given Gary testosterone shots is putting the cart before the horse. Let the situation settle down, let the wounds heal, get the physical, then let Gary choose the path he wants to walk. Forcing Gary to take testosterone is no different than Ms. Jacobi forcing him to be a pilgrim woman for a class presentation. Neither take Caryn/Gary's wants into consideration. After all, it's his life and the decision is ultimately up to him.

Others have feelings too.