Tammy Final Interlude: True Freedom

Printer-friendly version
True Freedom  

Book 11: Tammy Interludes
 

 

Final Interlude:
 
True Freedom

 

 
Wednesday 8th November 2017
 

With the agreement of all those involved, there had been a few weeks of settling down as Maisie slotted into Tammy's schedule before any meaningful classroom training started. Tammy had identified that Wednesdays would be the best day to sit down with Maisie, the rest of the week the girl would have to mainly study by herself.

They'd made a start the previous Wednesday but Tammy had quickly realised that there were two problems, caused by decisions being taken at Abigail Adams House without any planning. This was, maybe, the way her life worked?

The first issue was that Tammy was not a trained tutor and would, perhaps, benefit from a training course on how to be a tutor? She tried to treat the situation as if she was a director, as in the theatre, but she had no script.

The other problem was a lack of training material. Tammy had sent an urgent request to the Security Service for help but wasn't impressed with the first books and discs she'd received - these didn't actually teach you how to do fieldwork or analyse intelligence, but did warn you of the consequences if you blabbed about it.

Someone in MI5's training unit had finally taken pity on them and, whilst promising Tammy a course of her own, had packaged up fieldwork study packs and intelligence analysis examples for Maisie to work on. That placed Tammy as supervisor rather than tutor, which seemed to be a better arrangement. Within a few days, however, Maisie's urgent queries had interrupted a seminar at the university and business meeting with a client.

Tammy's requests for training videos and printed materials had now gone to anyone in the intelligence community she thought could help, although was there a risk that Maisie could get confused with advice from multiple directions? Tammy decided to vet everything before her assistant saw it, just in case.

On this Wednesday morning Maisie had exhausted everything that had been sent for her so had opted to get on with household chores whilst Tammy dragged herself through the shower.

The bell sounded as Tammy was drying herself and she shouted for Maisie but had no response. Tammy tapped one of the security panels and found a very wet black leather clad motorcyclist stood at the shop door with a package. She enabled the intercom.

"Hello?"

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"I have a package for you."

"Please put it through the letterbox."

"I'm afraid I need to verify your ID first."

Tammy was afraid that might happen. Unfortunately was a small problem, she was newly washed, wrapped in a towel with her hair in a turban whilst the shop windows were mostly just clear glass; that was on a long list of issues to fix.

"I'm sure my friends wouldn't have wanted you to waste your journey here over the small matter of identification?"

"Those were my instructions, Miss."

"Wait a minute."

"You have one minute, then I'm leaving."

Tammy dashed back to the bedroom and collected her NATO pass, as well as her keys. Looking out of the rear windows as she ran back down she saw their van was missing, that would explain why Maisie hadn't answered. She unlocked the rear access into the shop and walked across the shop floor to the street door to open that, in full view of anyone passing.

"There you are, that's me."

"And here's your package. Good day, Miss."

She closed then securely locked the two doors before heading upstairs to open the sealed box, although there was no indication who had sent it.

She used a knife, carefully, to open the outer packaging, which just revealed another layer of packaging, followed by a third layer. Finally she recovered two DVDs, one labelled 'True Freedom', which was marked 'Top Secret', and another labelled 'Mrs & Mrs Smart' that didn't appear to be protectively marked. The True Freedom disc was placed out of sight in a drawer whilst the other one was left on her office desk so Tammy could, finally, blow dry her hair and put clothes on - even intelligence agents have priorities that are more important than security.

Her phone pinged whilst she was getting dressed.

At Lidl, is there anything you need? xx

Tammy replied that she couldn't think of anything then went to finish making herself decent.

Back in the office a quarter of an hour later Tammy was finally ready for the day. She picked up the disc off her desk and, having removed it from a jewel case, inserted it into her laptop. When she pressed play there was a menu: the first item was labelled "surveillance photography", the second was "physical training"

"That'll do, they're both the same globally." She said to herself.

She ejected the disc and put it back in the case. Next she took a designated training laptop out of a cabinet before walking down to the basement to plug it into the projector input. She stood there as it booted up, with the screen automatically descending from the ceiling, after a couple of minutes the equipment was ready. She left the disc on the laptop ready for use.

Outside the weather was battering Thurso, but Tammy now knew that Maisie had gone to the cheap German grocery store in search of early morning bargains and food inspiration, and had probably mentioned this the previous night. Tammy had quickly realised that she'd never had to actually look after herself and that Maisie was probably the better housewife material of the pair, mainly because she'd spent time looking after her father.

Outside there was a crash, Tammy didn't rush to the back door to look but simply tapped the closest security monitor for the right image. She could see their van outside and Maisie was struggling with something, Tammy changed the view to a reverse angle and could see that their wheeled garbage bin had fallen over, or perhaps knocked over by the van?

Maisie's driving skills weren't great, but slowly they were improving. A further bang from upstairs and she had arrived in the kitchen.

"Bloody hell, that bin leapt at me!

"Are you sure you didn't knock it?"

"No, absolutely, no! It just came at me as I reversed! Give me a hand with the shopping please, I bought us a quiche lorraine for lunch."

"I'm supposed to be on a diet!"

"And I'm not! One of us had to compromise and I decided that's you, Tammy. A few calories won't matter so long as you keep the exercise regime going."

"While it's blowing a hoolie I'm hardly going to be out there on a bike?"

"Then buy an exercise bike? Keep it in the office and use it when you're bored or waiting for a call?"

"Yes, dear, but do you think I'm made of money?"

"Judging by the pittance you give me for housekeeping, perhaps not, but you part own an aircraft company?"

"Which is an expensive occupation."

"Oh, Joey is wondering when you're next in the office?"

"Tomorrow after college, what did you say?"

"I said you'd try to find time in your busy schedule."

"How is she?"

"Fine, I picked her up and took her shopping; It gave me a chance to have a long chat with her. She's quite observant, by the way."

"I suspected as much."

"She also had a soft spot for you. Oh, I forgot, I called Dad, can I visit him at the weekend?"

"What have you told him?"

"I said I'd moved in with you, nothing more yet. He said some nasty things about you and then said he wants to meet you soon."

"Great. Can't you go down by yourself?"

"It'll take me a day and a half, but you can fly us down in a morning."

"I think Katie is being used to move some oil company guys around so that leaves my Czechsport, but I can't get that far South on one tank of fuel."

"Great, I told him to expect us for lunch on Saturday, our treat."

"You did?"

Tammy wanted to get mad but couldn't. In the back of her mind she still had a nagging doubt that she was truly in love, and perhaps Maisie just had a misplaced sense of lust, but Tammy definitely had a sweet spot for the girl and knew exactly where that was. Fringe benefits, perhaps? One thing was certain, they were a couple.

Had Joey been making a play for her, this worried Tammy? Joey had been very vulnerable, and only now did Tammy fully understand the reason for that vulnerability. A relationship would have been wrong, improper, on so many levels. Had jealousy, fuelled by gossip, been the cause of her walk-out? In any case, Maisie had helped make the peace and had since befriended Joey.

Maisie herself had calmed down and was now providing an interesting analysis of the real intel that was trickling into their office, as well as the training scenarios.

Her analysis approach was unorthodox, and had initially been classified as 'scatter gun', but seemed to work when other methods failed or stuttered. She'd been evaluated at Abigail Adams House and they'd noticed a trait. Maisie had been tested with an analysis problem but hadn't resolved it to the satisfaction of the assessors. The following day she'd asked to speak to the assessors and gave them a reasoned answer.

They'd suspected immediately that Maisie had asked others for advice and had set another task but sent her to her room to cut off her access to the rest of the building. The following day she presented a reasoned analysis based only on the supplied material. Whilst this wasn't an immediately useful ability, it could be applied to cold cases.

"Okay, I'll have a think about it. Please, though, remember that flying a plane across the country is not the same as driving a car to the next town?"

"I don't think it's so different? I mean you still have to have a licence, know where you're going and make sure you have enough fuel?"

"Yes, but ...."

"So it's nearly the same."

Tammy sighed. "After lunch, you have training. No mooing about it. It will be done today."

"Fine, I'll have a shower first. Oh, how about new potatoes and salad with the quiche?"

Maisie was back in the kitchen fifteen minutes later and set about lunch. That took twenty minutes to prep and another fifteen to eat and clear up so it was half past twelve by the time Maisie could head to the basement, and half the day was already gone. Tammy had already locked the doors and pulled blinds down, they did not want to be disturbed.

While Maisie went through the video, Tammy sat in the office working on a remote camera, getting it ready for deployment, although a target hadn't been identified yet. The plan was that the camera unit would be delivered by drone and would fit on top of a pole or mast using a cap. She had plans to build a second device that could be delivered by parachute, in the way that her kits had been delivered a few weeks earlier.

Tammy was currently connecting the camera, transmitter and solar-charging power supply to a plastic pipe cap. The cap she had already spray painted grey.

Once the cap was set over the top of the pole, simple multi-purpose glue would keep it there. She would be able to coat the interior of the cap with glue and set it onto the pole using a drone. The weight of the drone would provide the pressure to set the adhesive to the pole. To guide the drone, she could simply use the cap's camera. The high resolution camera even had night capability. She had great hopes for the camera based on her office experiments as the resolution was great plus the night-sight was passive so there was no tell-tale red glow.

Unbeknownst to anyone else, Tammy had already tested the tracking dots and audio bugs from her personal kit. A tracking dot allowed her to follow her stepmother's movements for a day and one of the audio bugs allowed her to listen in on Sarah's shop by the register. She was pleased with the performance of both. Just for the practice, she had picked the locks on Sarah's shop to get in to place and remove the bug. In fact, the bug had even gave her some information deemed useful. Sarah had a shipment of woollens coming in the next week.

"What's that?" Maisie asked.

Tammy continued to connect the third of four cellphone batteries for the power supply. "Video finished?"

"Yes, the first one on surveillance and I skimmed the one on PE. I think there was something like you're working on in the first video, but what is that?"

"It is a remote camera and transmitter."

"Who are you going to spy on with it?"

"The boats, coming and going from Scrabster Harbour or anywhere else."

"I can do that."

"Not twenty-four hours a day you can't and neither can I. This camera will be able to."

"It can see at night?"

Tammy nodded. "At night it will tell you the brand of gum the duty guard uses and during the day it can tell the time on your watch, at a hundred metres."

"So where will the camera be and how are you going to get it there?" Maisie asked.

Tammy checked over her work then turned the camera off. "On a pole."

"People will see you installing it."

"Not after dark they won't. I'm waiting for the weather to break, I'll do it as soon as it's safe."

Maisie was quiet for a moment then asked. "So who do you work for? Who am I working for?"

"Myself, ourselves. It's not important who pulls the strings but we're doing this for Her Majesty. That's no different from the Army or any other government service." Tammy replied then glanced to the nearest camera. "You have more training to do. This day is not over."

Maisie complained. "Training, training, training. That's all I do now!"

"Because it comes with the job. You passed your induction training at Abigail Adams House, so did I. You're learning the job, whatever that is, so did I. It's continuous training in the expectation that we can do a job when it's needed."

"Even if you don't know what that job is?"

"Correct, Maisie. Training is a necessary, but mostly mundane, part of our existence and there's no break, never. But we're compensated well, or at least you will be when you qualify."

"When's that?"

"When everyone says you're ready, not before."

"I think I need a holiday, Tammy?"

"We have no time, do you know why?"

"Training?"

"Yes, training. Come on, let's watch the next video together."

The DVD labelled 'True Freedom' was selected, Tammy hit Play.

A commentary started and was accompanied by a slide show.

"True Freedom was established in 2014 as an anti-establishment neo-political group that aimed to bring down the established world order. It's never been discovered what was intended to replace the existing governments but by late 2014 they had become a terrorist group. The name True Freedom was adopted in 2015 but the affiliations weren't known to intelligence agencies at the time

"Rather inevitably there was an attempt to generate funds using drugs and a shipment was intercepted in early December 2014 although this was only latterly identified as a True Freedom operation. Intelligence was gained when the various members of the group responsible were captured and subsequently prosecuted."

The slides now switched to a CCTV video which showed the capture of Alban Berisha at Brent Cross.

"Stop! Was that you?"

Tammy paused the playback. "Er, yes, nearly three years ago."

"What were you doing there?"

"Shopping."

"And you stopped a terrorist?"

"Yes, but I didn't know that at the time. Shall we continue?" Tammy didn't wait for an answer and hit Play.

"Two of his associates was detained in the Highlands after targeting a member of the public and her family."

A video played showing the capture of Duran Kelmendi in the Castletown Hotel, with footage from the CCTV and Tammy's brooch. The image froze on a mugshot of Kelmendi. Maisie wanted to ask Tammy the obvious question but Tammy shook her head and let the briefing continue.

"We now know that True Freedom was responsible for the attacks on the air traffic control centres in Fareham and Maastricht in the Netherlands during Christmas 2014. It was not clear what the aim was, other than mass disruption, but the UK intelligence agencies started to expand their operations as a result.

"It became clear over time, aided by the influx of new staff, that many of the UK intelligence agencies were being infiltrated by highly educated True Freedom operatives who worked to disrupt intelligence gathering from the inside."

The photos switched to display those already killed or imprisoned, giving their names and status:

Helen Bell aka Hilary Bull - in custody
Anita Gore - deceased
John Gore - deceased
Francesca Fullerton - in custody
Alex Fullerton - in custody
Paula Lavoska - in custody

"Of those already detained, Helen Bell is the most dangerous as she successfully gained the trust of several senior Security Service managers and personally knows where the sleeping agents are located. She also had access to large sums of money, some of which are still unaccounted for."

A montage of photos including Helen now went across the screen.

"Heather? You?"

Tammy ignored the outburst and the playback continued.

"There are a number of True Freedom operatives who are still at large and are considered dangerous. It can be assumed that they are well-versed in counter-surveillance and have access to many tools. The following are the most wanted."

More mugshots went across the screen.

Penny Lane aka Penelope Lavoska
Sheila Fitzgerald
Sharon Gainsborough

Tammy paused as all three photos were visible, side by side. "Keep your eyes out for these three, they could be anywhere."

"Lavoska, are they sisters?"

"They are. Paula Lavoska was caught when she tried to kidnap Andrea, a good friend, after she'd made an attempt on Angela."

"Your sister Angela?"

"Yes. Penny Lavoska is devious and is adept at claiming to be your friend, she plays a long game."

"So you knew both, what about Gainsborough?"

"I went on a course with her."

"Err, are you sure you're not a True Freedom agent, you seem to know everyone?"

"Trust me, I'm not." Tammy restarted the video.

"US Intelligence became aware of the group's terrorist intentions in the Spring of 2016 when they obtained data from the group's server. This was shared with the UK and a number of targets were identified. Most were very quickly taken down but one group of terrorists were left free to attack a coffee shop in London's West End."

CCTV was now shown as the group was followed along Oxford Street and to a coffee shop. The images switched to internal cameras and started when the group took AK-47s out of their coats then sprayed the walls, whilst the customers dived for cover. The CCTV then caught Tammy and Kerri take out the group.

"You again! Who's that with you?"

"A friend."

"A friend who packs a gun for a coffee? Actually, so did you! I remember this, but I've not seen the video before?"

Tammy shrugged. "She carries two guns in case you missed. I never saw the video, maybe it was supposed to be shown at the inquest?"

"Something happened there as well, a solicitor was killed and someone else?"

"Yeah, messy. Damned fiasco."

"Tammy?"

"Yes, Maisie?"

"Were you involved?"

"Ummmm."

"I knew it, you're a ruddy Jane Bond!"

"No, I'm a trouble magnet."

"You attracted me."

"Exactly!"

Maisie scooted off her beanbag and launched herself at Tammy. "Trouble, trouble, you say I'm trouble?" She started to tickle Tammy.

"Yes ..... YES! .......oooofff .... stop!"

"No, you called me trouble!"

"Okay, okay, I submit .... you're not trouble."

Maisie stopped her attack. "Kiss me."

"That's inappropriate between a trainer and her student."

"I'll tickle you again!"

Tammy relented. "Let's have a drink."

"And?"

"No, no, you're not trouble."

"Good, Miss Bond. Will that be Earl Grey or Lapsang souchong?"

"We don't have those teas?"

"The best intelligence agent in the UK deserves the best tea, I bought these in Lidl this morning."

-------

Tammy took Maisie to the school that evening for the Macbeth masterclass, having left the girl at home the previous Wednesdays.

"Follow me."

"Aren't you supposed to sign in, or be escorted?"

"No, I went to this school."

"It's a boys school?"

"I was the first girl."

They reached the room and the pair entered.

"Good evening, this is Maisie and she'll be sitting in. Shall we get started, off the books please?"

Tammy didn't give them any time to question Maisie's presence but Jeri was certainly watching carefully. Tammy ignored her and concentrated on keeping the play flowing, acting as prompter where necessary.

"Well done everyone, can you please revise your parts before next week? When's the performance?"

"13th December." Replied Jeri.

"So just a month more of rehearsals? What about costumes?"

"I'll have those sorted for next week, everyone was measured a few weeks ago and we're just waiting for the delivery so we can fit them."

"Who'll do that?"

"There's a new English teacher who started part-time last week, but she doesn't go full-time until January. She'll take over drama after Christmas, but she's also a seamstress in her spare time, apparently she worked with several am dram groups whilst studying English in Cambridge."

"Convenient?"

"Yes, but we couldn't have done this without you."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

The room had almost cleared but one of the female students was interrogating Maisie.

"What's the story, Tammy?"

"She's working with me."

"Is that all?"

"Well ..."

"I knew it! No engagement ring?"

"We haven't been to the jewellers yet."

"Wow!" Jeri dropped to a whisper. "Does she know?"

"Not yet, but I'll have to tell her soon?"

"Before you spend loads on gold?"

"Hmmm, yes?"

Tammy led Maisie back out to the carpark and they started home. Maisie was quiet the whole journey and, once indoors, took Tammy back down to the basement.

"Sit!"

Tammy did as asked.

"What is it that you need to tell me?"

"I was born a boy."

"I know, I was just hoping that you would be honest with me."

"You knew?"

"The captain told me."

"He knew?"

"He found out just before that weekend at Fort George. I asked Heather to confirm it and she wouldn't give me an answer."

"You saw me naked before that?"

"Yes, no wonder the Captain was fooled?"

"Fooled?"

"His words, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you."

"Really?"

"No, but can you answer one question for me? Would you like a baby?"

"I can't become pregnant, Maisie."

"Maybe not, but I can. Did you save any sperm?"

"I couldn't produce it, I mean I don't think I ever did. I don't know what happened to my testes when they removed them."

"Well, I'd hoped my wife could give me a child?"

Tammy started to cry. "I've never considered it, I mean I'm only twenty one. But I might not be able to give you what you need? Won't you hate me?"

"No, you're perfect, we'll just have to do this a different way!"

 
Friday 10th November 2017
 

Tammy gave Joey the Friday off but that meant going into the office with Maisie to ensure everything was up to date. The pair left Wick late morning to fly down to Cotswold Airport in the Czechsport, stopping at Teeside to refuel and visit the loo. It was nearly four in the afternoon when they touched down.

They picked up a hire car and drove into Cirencester where they had booked a room. It was only a few miles from Swindon but are enough away that they could go shopping without being spotted by Maisie's father.

Tammy hadn't told Maisie about the appointment she'd booked and, because of window shopping, they barely had time to get to the specialist ring maker before he closed for the day.

"Now, Miss Smart, what are you after?"

"Matching eighteen carat white gold engagement rings with a yellow diamond and a thistle embossing."

"I hope you aren't expecting that in a week, Miss?"

"No, I understand that bespoke jewellery takes a while to manufacture."

"I don't manufacture, I craft a unique design for every customer."

"I stand corrected."

"Good, let me sketch what you have told me so far and see if you agree?"

The goldsmith was an excellent artist but he didn't stop at one design.

"Oh, wow." Maisie was impressed, the first design used the thistle as the leaves of the diamond mount, whilst the second design had tiny thistles around the ring band. This created a ripple effect at distance but close up were visible.

"Tammy I like it but I prefer the first one."

A discussion ensured and the pair agreed to differ. "Okay, Maisie will have the first design and I'll have the second."

In the meantime the goldsmith had drawn a third design that wsed on the original design but had the plain band replaced with a rope.

"That one!"

"I agree, we'll both have the third design."

The goldsmith seemed satisfied. "I'll make a 3d model and email it to you. You can pay your deposit when you receive it and agree those designs or you can pay now?"

"How much are we talking?"

"£2750 for the pair."

"I'll pay the full amount now."

"Thank you." Tammy reached into her purse and extracted a black Amex card. She pretended to blow the dust off the card. "I think this'll do."

"If you don't mind, I'll need your driving licence as well, in case the card company queries it?"

"Of course." She handed it over, fortunately she hadn't changed the address of her driving licence yet and the Amex card still went down to Dunbankin'.

"Two thousand seven hundred?" Whispered Maisie.

"And fifty."

"When do we get them?"

"In a few weeks and I suspect we'll have to come back for the fitting."

"It's a long way to come."

"I know, but I'm assured it will be worth it."

"My dad's going to be expecting rings?"

"Of course."

"But ...."

"Wait Maisie, wait, I have a plan."

The goldsmith returned and handed the plastic cards back to Tammy, along with a receipt. "All done, Miss Smart, can I take an email address and phone number for you?"

She handed him one of her business cards. "We'll have to fly down so we might not get down here straight after the day you call!"

"Some customers complain they don't have the time to drive from Swindon and then expect a delivery service!"

Back out in the street it was turning five and they still hadn't checked in, but Tammy had other plans for the moment and took Maisie a few streets away to the window display of a nationally known jewellery store.

"What's this plan?"

"You said your father will expect rings, how about a couple of simple rings?"

"Okay, providing you let me buy these!"

The rings they chose had a cubic zirconia stone on a nine carat white gold setting. They weren't expensive at all, but would suffice an immediate inspection.

With that done, and Maisie finally getting a sparkly ring on her finger, they set off to find some food, lunch hadn't happened.

"I couldn't wear rings in the army so I haven't really worn any jewellery since I was sixteen when I joined the cadets. I'm not sure I want to wear an expensive ring though?"

"Why not?"

"Well, firstly I would hate to lose it, but also am I worth it?"

Tammy stopped and the pair faced each-other. Maisie's hair fell across her face so Tammy reached to move it out of the way before kissing her. "Yes, you are."

Dinner was a quiet meal for two in a pub before they spent the night in a formulaic hotel just outside the town centre.

 
Saturday 11th November 2017
 

They weren't in a hurry and didn't appear for breakfast until nine, finally checking out an hour later.

Whilst they had been promised that both of their passes would work across all of the sites, subject to advance clearance. Being promised that she wouldn't have a problem, was not the same as a solid platinum guarantee so Tammy decided she had best allow a little extra time. Just after eleven she drove directly towards Swindon before turning to the West and into MOD Lyneham. This was a former RAF base now used by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and multiple civilian contractors. In the end their passes were barely registered by the civilian gate guard.

Tammy followed Maisie's directions over to the married quarters some distance across the site, they stopped in a small parking area.

"Come on." Maisie grabbed Tammy's hand and took the lead.

"Lead on McDuff!"

"And damned be he who says, hold, enough!"

"I didn't think you knew the Scottish play?"

"I put it on my phone while you were at university on Thursday."

They'd reached a door and Maisie pulled out a key but didn't need it as the door swung open revealing a man; he was in uniform and his ID said 'Staines'.

"You're early!"

"Hi Dad, this is Tammy."

"You're lucky I was dressed!"

Tammy wasn't certain where this lopsided conversation was going. She held out her hand.

"Good morning Staff Sergeant Staines, it's a pleasure to finally meet you."

He ignored the gesture and grunted. "Put the kettle on, Maisie." He pointed at a chair and Tammy took the hint.

"A few weeks ago, Lieutenant, I asked you if your intentions towards my only daughter were honourable?"

"I remember the conversation, Sir."

"You made me a promise and now you're turned her into a lesbian!"

"I promise you, that was never my intention and, as far as I know, you can't force anyone's sexuality."

"Don't argue with me, I know your sort!"

Maisie returned to the lounge. "Oh, Dad, shut up! I'm the lesbian and always was, don't you ever wonder why I didn't have boyfriends?"

"You were busy?"

"Of course I was, it stopped any off questions whilst I worked out for myself where I fitted into society. Going into the Army meant I didn't really have to worry, so long as I didn't make a pass at everything in a skirt."

He ignored her comment and pointed at Tammy. "So by taking Maisie out of the army you snared her?"

"Sir, have you seen the ID card around your daughter's neck?"

"No .... oh, Sergeant, how?"

"Yes, I was promoted. It seems someone was holding me back, and I also qualified my PT course. I really haven't left the army but I can now start having a life."

"And you chose to spend your life with her?"

"Yes, Dad, I did. I'm glad I did."

"Is that ring on your finger?"

"Yes, we're engaged."

"What? When, girls?"

"Calm down, before you give yourself a coronary? I don't think you've been looking after yourself, Dad. Old news, girls can marry girls and boys can marry boys."

"Hmmm, not in my day."

"Life has moved on, Dad. I have a new career and a new partner."

"In Scotland?"

"Yes, for now. I might be down South in the new year and I was in Cornwall a few weeks ago."

"Doing what?"

"Training."

"Where?"

"I can't say where I was and I have no idea where the next training will be yet."

"I still think you should have stayed with the Black Watch?"

"Why? They were going to make me their sacrificial lamb before I was rescued by my lady in a white plane. It seems knights in silver armour were in short supply that day."

Tammy managed a little giggle but the Staff Sergeant clearly didn't appreciate his daughter's phrasing.

"It now looks like they would have given me a dishonourable discharge and I'd lose my pension. Right now I have freedom, a promotion, a qualification, a career, as safeguarded future and I found a girl. I'd say that's a win-win for me."

"Has that kettle boiled?"

Maisie started back to the kitchen. "Tammy, dear?"

"Yes, my love?"

"Be easy with him, despite being a bigot he's still my Dad."

The staff Sergeant coughed, clearly confused. Tammy took that as a cue.

"Staff Sergeant, how about we start again? My name is Tammy." She once again held out her hand.

"Thomas. Pleased to meet you, I think."

Maisie chose that moment to return with a tray. "That's better."

"So Tammy, are you a real Lieutenant, or is that for show?"

"I have the rank and I have had training, but to be honest it's a tool to let me do my job."

"Which is?"

"Anything that needs doing."

"That's too vague."

"But it's true and it means that occasionally I need to put my training to use."

"And you've coaxed my daughter into this fantasy world? Where's the career, the pension?"

Maisie giggled. "Dad, I've seen Tammy in action. Do you remember the terrorists hitting the coffee shop in London last year?"

"Of course, didn't a couple of off-duty coppers deal with it?"

"No, it was Tammy and her friend."

"Rubbish."

"Okay, have it your way, but I've seen the video. They took down the terrorists without losing a single member of the public."

"You're infatuated with a fake Jane Bond."

"There's nothing fake about her, Dad, and I know mum would have liked Tammy."

"Maybe?"

"Of course she would have done."

"Anyway, how come you're early?"

"We flew down last night and stayed in a hotel."

"Together?"

"Dad, it's the twenty-first century. Anyway, you'll have to come up and see us before the wedding."

"Wedding?"

"Yes, it's what happens after engagement, usually."

"It's a long way ...."

"I researched it, there's a lunchtime flight to Inverness from Bristol most days and we can pick you up from there."

Tammy decided the subject needed changing. "Did you have any plans for lunch, Thomas?"

"I thought Maisie would cook?"

"How about we take you somewhere? You're not on duty today, are you?"

"No."

Maisie looked at her father. "Perhaps you could put some normal clothes on?"

"But ...?"

"I know, this is what you always wear. Anyway, we're going out and I think you can dress nicely for me, for us? Come on, I'll help you choose."

Twenty minutes later Thomas Staines returned in jeans and a shirt, it wasn't high fashion but it didn't reek of Army. Maisie requested the keys from Tammy. "I know the places around here."

"I didn't know you could drive?"

"The Army taught me, I think you'll find there's plenty you don't know about me, Dad."

It wasn't far to her chosen venue, somehow Maisie had made a reservation at The Wellesley Arms. Over lunch Thomas Staines learned of the treachery at the Black Watch.

"But what were you doing there Tammy?"

"It seems I was there for a briefing, but it was so hush hush that nobody told me. I found out later that I was being deliberately kept away from the briefings."

"Deliberately?"

"A Colonel and a Major had expected me to be there but a Captain failed to pass on the message, then tried to assault me."

"That's not what I was told, a Sergeant Harris phoned me."

"She interviewed both of us but was suspended soon after for unprofessional behaviour. The Captain was arrested a few days later trying to break into a property I rented."

"Why did you take my daughter with you?"

"The Colonel and Sir Thomas Addington both asked me the same question. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time."

"I'm glad she did, Dad. I told you earlier, I'm happy now."

"So who's employing you?"

"I get a wage from a government agency while I'm training and Tammy tops that up. To answer a question from earlier, her family runs a pension scheme and I'm paying into that."

"What do your parents do, Tammy?"

"My father is a retired merchant banker, Chairman of Smart Air and Chair of the board of governors of St Andrews School in Thurso. Mother is head counsellor at the school."

"Not military, or," he dropped to a whisper, "spies?"

"No."

"Dad, Tammy was Head Girl at the same school. We were there a few nights ago, she teaches Macbeth to the sixth form."

"Why?"

"Because they asked me. I've directed Macbeth several times and I'd like to think I know the play well."

"I see."

Lunch continued but by two they were heading back to Lyneham, Tammy took the wheel.

"Nice to meet you at last, Tammy, and I must say you're not like I thought you would be."

"Courtesy of Sergeant Harris' description?"

"Yes."

"Don't believe everything you're told, be a sceptic occasionally, challenge the so-called truth."

"That's not how the military works, but do you promise to look after and protect my daughter?"

"Absolutely."

"Then you have my blessing."

-----

They flew back that afternoon and were home by seven. The security panels were flashing with a message as they stepped through the doors. Tammy gingerly tapped.

"Briefing in twenty minutes." Announced Kim's voice.

"What's that, Tammy?"

"Trouble."

They barely had time to lock the door, wee, make a drink and, as a bonus, get the washing machine going before heading downstairs. The projector screen was down and a timer was counting down. There was a short delay after it reached zero then the screen blanked.

"Good evening." Kimberly's voice came over the sound system.

Tammy replied. "Good evening Ma'am."

"I have updated intelligence for you. This was obtained via penetration of a Balkan Cartel system and they are currently unaware of said penetration. It is pertinent as it is of direct concern to you personally." Kimberly stated, though the video window remained black.

Tammy asked. "Personally?"

"Penelope Lavoska, A.K.A. Penny Lane. Estonian National, twin sister of Polina Lavoska, A.K.A. Paula Lane. Terorrist for hire. Wanted by American Intelligence agencies, MI-5 and 6, French DGSE and DRSD, InterPol, EuroPol, German BND, Israeli Mossad, Russian SVR and FSB. Quite possibly even the Vatican's Iscariot division. Incidentally, Polina is the elder by three minutes, in case you wondered." Kimberly informed them as pictures appeared on the video window.

"Are all of those intelligence agencies? I've never heard of most of them." Maisie commented.

Tammy said. "InterPol and EuroPol are law enforcement. I was unaware the Vatican has an Intelligence agency though."

"The Iscariots belong to the Vatican and extremely nasty. They have no friends, just people they owe or indebted to them." Kimberly explained.

Tammy remarked. "It sounds like the Lavoska twins have it against everybody?"

"Actually, they do. Western nations, Eastern, they hate all governments. Their father was an undercover GRU intel officer stationed in Estonia. He married a local to reinforce his cover. His main tasking was to ferret out dissidents who were then sent off to Gulags. He 'took pride' in his assignment as he believed it would progress him up the ranks. However, the Union fell and when the intelligence apparatus was recalled to Moscow, he was abandoned with a compromised cover." Kimberly said.

Tammy remembered a recent talk. "The string was cut and kite was left to drift."

"Huh?" Maisie asked.

Kimberly confirmed Tammy's interpretation. "Precisely. He joined a newly formed mafia alliance, along with a few other 'discarded' Russian assets. The bunch didn't last long. On their first deal they were popped, it was an SVR sting operation. He was caught and sent off to a high-security detention facility located in the Rarytkin mountain range of Siberia. There is no record of him leaving it."

The suspected location appeared on screen to replace the man's picture

"They sent him to a Gulag?" Tammy asked.

"No. A Gulag would have been preferable. The stories that are able to come out of this place, it's worst than a frozen Hell. Maybe two out of four hundred make it out. Nobody has ever escaped. It's where the KGB had put the worst humiliations, the SVR simply continued it. The Gulags were shut down when the Union fell. This place wasn't part of that system, it is still active, even more so now than back then. Putin is far from an altruistic soul." Kimberly stated flatly.

Tammy sighed. "That's an internationally undisputed fact."

"Continuing on. Due to his incarceration and later expiration, the mother was forced into prostitution to care for the twins. At a young age they received the usual diatribe; the West is evil. After their father was taken and mother exploited, they were also disenfranchised with Russia. In short; nobody can be trusted, everybody is the enemy. Exploit who they can, destroy who they can't." Kimberly went on. "You were to be exploited. Since that failed and the subsequent capture of Polina, Penelope wants to destroy you in every aspect THEN she'll go for the kill."

Tammy closed her eyes and shook her head. "That is as personal as it gets then. I understand."

"Many want the sisters but only when both are available will anybody make a deal for them. No illusions; the two of them are a high-grade commodity. Not enough to shut down a government, but a lot of compromises can be undone. Valuable operatives and assets can be secured. Whoever has those two, can have almost anything. With just one, a good deal can be made to consolidate the set." Kimberly told them.

Maisie shook her head. "All this is over my head. Are they really that important?"

"Staines, those two are more valuable that twenty suitcase sized nuclear munitions. Half belong to you, half belong to your most hated enemy. That's how bad they are. That's how bad they're wanted. THIS is the big league." Kimberly summarized.

"Why half? I don't understand." Maisie said to Tammy.

Tammy thought about it. "If half of them belong to us, nobody can use them but us. The half belonging to an enemy, can be used against another enemy and blamed on the main one. That makes them fight among each other and nobody knows who really did what. Did I say it right?"

"You hit the nail on the head, with a skyscraper." Kimberly affirmed.

"Right. So now we know just exactly who the enemy is and why. Is there anything else?" Tammy asked.

Kimberly replied. "Yes, but it's not as helpful as we'd like. Lavoska has some kind of plan for the holidays next month. We don't yet know what it is, but it should be on a grand scale. The only advice I have now is; stay in country, stay accessible. You may be needed. Staines, this does not apply to you."

"Understood. Ma'am, we are planning to be in London for Christmas, but my parents will be going to Switzerland." Tammy said.

Kimberly was silent a moment. "Noted. Keep in mind that Hostile apparatus tends to use the holidays against friendly services. Update us on your movements."

Tammy nodded. "Certainly Ma'am."

"That is all. Out." Kimberly said then signed off, the video window closed.

Maisie frowned. "So just who is she and who does she work for?"

"You will never know, and that's for the best possible reasons." Tammy said firmly.

 
Friday 24th November 2017
 

Tammy and Maisie were parked by the South Breakwater at the entrance to Aberdeen Harbour, watching the horizon as the sun set. Heather had called that morning, interrupting the training session, sending them on a five hour drive South. In the back of the hire van was a drone and several surveillance options, ready for the anticipated arrival of one of the target boats.

By five it was dark but there was no sign of the boat.

Tammy checked the weather and checked the Aberdeen Harbour Board's website for shipping arrivals again, having noted that Helga IV had been due earlier but now it had gone from the website.

"Time to go."

"So that's it? Nothing?"

"That's right, Maisie."

She rang Heather.

"I think this was a waste of time and possibly an attempt to identify us?"

"Agreed. Had anyone taken an interest in you?"

"We haven't spotted anyone, but there's no point staying here."

"Confirmed, drive safely. Don't forget to report it."

The call ended so Tammy pulled on her seatbelt and started the van. She put the lights on and pulled away.

"Is that it?"

"No, there's a report to write."

"At least that's your responsibility, Tammy."

"Sorry, you're wrong. BOTH of us have to do a report. Get used to it."

"What happened here? Was it a waste of time?"

"Worse. Not only was this a waste of time, but it was possibly an attempt to identify if they had any surveillance and we fell into the trap."

"Damn."

"Yep, we've been made and there's nothing we can do about it."

"What does that mean?"

"We play no further part in this investigation, we're blown."

 
Wednesday 29th November 2017
 

Jim looked up at the sound of high heels walking in "Afternoon Tammy, Maisie."

"Hi Jim. I came to restock Katie." Tammy said, holding up a shopping bag.

Jim nodded. "She needs it. Pete just finished post-flight."

Tammy and Maisie went over to the neighbouring hangar. Inside Pete was bringing out a bin-bag of Katie.

"Hey Tammy. Maisie."

Pete wore his usual outfit for flying Katie, navy blue trousers and a white dress shirt with navy tie. He had disagreed at white trousers, though complimented Tammy and Maisie on their skirt-suits which were white.

"I've brought in restock." Tammy said.

Pete looked relieved. "Oh good. The coffee's out and not much left of tea. The snacks are completely gone as well."

"I guess the last crowd were hungry?"

"It was a hen party from the Shetlands to Aberdeen and back, they used everything!"

Tammy and Maisie went into the cabin whilst Maisie used the hanger facilities to wash up the cups and coffee pot. Tammy replaced the coffee canister and boxes of tea then loaded the snacks into the drawer.

she also changed out the magazines, and had two fashion magazines for women, one for men, a travel magazine and a hobbyist magazine to account for their varied commercial passengers.

Pete wheeled over a trolley with a water tank then ran the hose to the tank inside. Maisie was back from the hanger and offered to keep an eye on the tank as fresh water was pumped in, calling out when it was full. The covers for both pillows were changed and blankets refolded before being hidden under the couch. Tammy waited for the worst job until last, emptying the chemical loo cassette, then she washed her hands in the hangar's work sink.

Finally Tammy set a new bag of Atomic Fireballs in the cockpit.

"Oh, you evil git." Pete remarked.

Tammy looked back. "What?"

Pete shook his head. "I thought it was Jim putting those in here for a laugh."

Tammy grinned. "Tried one, did you?"

"Tammy didn't tell me what they were. I almost screamed." Maisie admitted.

Tammy popped one from its wrapper into her mouth and smiled.

"Bloody masochist. Or sadist. Damned things are horrid." Pete groused.

They finished restocking and cleaning Katie then made their way out.

"What's next for us?" Maisie asked.

Tammy checked the time. "We'll pop in to say hello to Sarah then over to Frances. After Dinner, we're at the school for a dress rehearsal."

They both climbed into Tammy's Mini Cooper and drove out.

Tammy felt good about herself; It had taken some doing, but things were going her way. With Joey and Maisie she could plan her week with ease, that allowed her to run to a schedule and it was rare she deviated from it. Image was important and appropriate for her appointments: when working she wore suits or other business separates, for classes she dressed casually and any other time she varied from chic to relaxed. Today was a combination aiming for casual-chic; leggings paired with a tunic sweater, cinched by a wide belt, and knee-high boots. Each look gave her audience a message, she had to ensure she chose a message that would achieve the right impact.

The diet and exercise regime was paying off too, a recent visit to her GP's well-woman clinic revealed she was indeed in much better shape than the previous year.

She had independence, a home, a partner, two assistants and a future. What else could a girl want?

 
 

Tammy returns soon in a new multi-part story 'Deja Flew'

 
 

Debut-cover.jpg The first Kindle publication of the Tammy series is a combined novel of Tom's Fireworks and Tamara's Debut.
It's from Amazon (UK) , Amazon (US), Amazon (CA) & Amazon (AU) .
up
376 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another disrupted Christmas beckons...

Ironically, Tammy had her suspicions about Penny from the first doctored fashion show pack - increasingly it seems some of the info from that pack wasn't as fictitious as everyone thought. It might be prudent to file fake flight plans for the trip to London (and possibly sending Joan and Richard to Switzerland via a circuitous route avoiding Heathrow), just in case Penny or any remaining dregs of True Freedom are around. For future port surveillance, it might be prudent to park some distance away and fly the drone in - either temporary surveillance through landing it on a roof, or more long-term surveillance by using the post cap (installing it when there aren't any imminent dodgy ships due). It might also be worth buying some extra cameras and installing them at both the main and back entrances to the Dunbankin / McPherson estate, hooking them up to her security system, since Penny & co may target her family before her herself.

Meanwhile, prior to the briefing, laughs all around with Maisie's parking skills, Tammy's surveillance of Joan and Sarah, and the meeting with her soon-to-be father-in-law.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

You know what happened to James Bond's fiancé

I hope that isn't going to be Maisie's fate. I like Maisie's kooky character. She is fun and adds more depth to Tammy's life. This has been quite the whirlwind romance though, Goddess willing, they can accommodate each other's individualities.

Maisie's father may be a bigot, but he is funny and seems have potential to change his bigotry somewhat. I was wondering who would be more intimidating, the father or Tammy. I think they had a draw on their first round.

Thank-you for that

Thank-you for this bonus story as I was not expecting another one until you started the next one.
It looks like True Freedom is about to rear its ugly head again in Tammy Smart's life again. All forces recruits get basic gun training, but I can't remember, did Maisie ever say if she was any good with a gun?

Maisie and guns

We don't know what she's been trained with, but it's feasible she'll have been introduced to the range at Abigail Adams House.

Meanwhile, it's feasible her "scatterbrained" approach to connecting disparate nuggets of intelligence, which the powers-that-be currently think is only likely to be useful to cold cases, may prove useful for current cases, particularly if it appears disparate groups are planning something but there's no clear indication what or where.

Although she can supposedly "never know" about OICS, she's already had contact with them on several occasions (the briefing this episode, taking better photos of the boats than Tammy earlier), so it's feasible that next year, when Tammy travels to Ram Rock Island to do her refresher training... (or alternatively, they have separate courses on separate dates, just in case something crops up while one's on the island).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Maisie would

Sammi's picture

I assume have had at least side arms training as a part of her basic training for the army wouldn't she?

Introduction of Maisie from Guard of the Thistle

"Excuse me Ma'am?"

Tammy spun around to find a young female in uniform.

"Yes?"

"Corporal Staines, Ma'am, Colonel MacTaggart asked that I assist you today."

"Fine, do you know what's going on?"

"Yes, Ma'am."


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Did Tammy's ears go up at

Did Tammy's ears go up at mention of a new teacher joining the school?

Hopefully...

Unlike some of her university tutors, this one will have no connections to True Freedom - and Tammy will resist the temptation to bug / track her just in case...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

My "Oh shit" detector is working overtime.

Captain Fielding's awareness that Tammy was once male is setting off alarm bells. How did he find out? Even if he is i custody, was he compromised by True Freedom? If so, they not only are aware of the Czechsport but of Katie. From there it isn't too much of a stretch to connect the blowing of her cover in monitoring the trawler comings and goings to True Freedom.

As Kim said the Laskovas play a long game, and given the past attempts on Tammy and those close to her, I would hope that Richard, Joan, Maisie and Joey are very well protected come Christmas time and that Katie, especially, be given a going over with a fine tooth comb after every charter in addition to enhanced security screening of passengers and their luggage.

dark times ahead!

Sadly I can see Maisie becoming True freedom fodder

They keep going and going...

Jamie Lee's picture

Once again Maisie made plans without consulting Tammy beforehand. Sure, they could fly down, grab a rental and go see her father. But that isn't the point.

Maisie is new at the security game, one that could cost her her life if she isn't careful. It isn't they could fly down but is it safe for them to do so without knowing if anyone is waiting to ambush them.

Right now, Maisie isn't briefed as thoroughly as Tammy, so wouldn't have all the needed intel.

Maisie's father may have sounded like a gruff old bugger, but he is only concerned about his daughter and that she is safe. Giving his permission to marry says it all, with reference to Tammy.

Cover blown is not good, but it was going to be blown anyway. Had Tammy and Maisie kept up a regular routine in that area, doing something normally done in that area, then maybe their cover would have been secure.

Tammy knowing the other twin wants her hide should make her suspicious of anyone new to the area, or new happenings. That new drama teacher could be the other twin, or cause Tammy to focus in the wrong direction.

Just because Maisie analyzes information differently than the accepted method, doesn't mean her way is wrong. It's just different. Different enough for her to be like Tammy when Thomas spotted something experienced analysts missed. Once she goes through full training, and gains experience, they may be surprised by what she discovers that was missed.

Others have feelings too.

Atomic Fireballs

So what's the fuss over fireballs? They're actually pretty good! Not all that spicy. I hate spicy food, but used to buy a box when I went to the movies. About the same as Hot Tamales, which I could chow down on all day.

Maisie is a mistake. No doubt in my mind. Far too immature. In fact it seems like all the females around Tammy have been extremely immature.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

And they're back.

So lavoska has Tammy in her sights. What's up with the computer system of daisy's parents. They were stopped before entry of premises by a murder investigation. Did they ever get to try to recover anything? Tammy's last beau was in tight with Marcus Wade. Is he in with the bad guys too.? That could explain some of the continuing hostility and interest in Tammy. Still think they need to tighter the leash on those fishing boats, and the harbor police and coast guard need to tighten up and start watching closer for mis-counts of crew coming and going. Watch for small boats taking passengers off the trawlers at sea. Since they can hear a whale fart at the bottom of the Greenland Sea, I'm sure they could spot a small boat wake and a larger ship stopping to transfer intruders. It's not like they can use a 15ft rowboat with a 10hp Johnson outboard fitted. Tammy and wife sure dropped into this pretty fast, hope it works out. Do you think the scots in the black watch are going to be highly pissed when they find the English army played them for suckers setting Tammy up. Just how deep does the corruption and incompetence go? All the way up the chain to colonel at least. Those mps should not have been obliged to take Tammy on, they're lucky she didn't really injure the ones that crashed her room, and the ones that tried to get her in the lobby when she took on the bad guy.