For Want of a Comma - Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

horseshoe & comma

In this chapter, our hero deals with detention, decides on a gender, and gets a chance to turn a dream into reality.

Copyright 2020 by Heather Rose Brown

=-=-=

Detention.

Even thinking of the word made me shudder. Wondering what sort of punishment I'd be facing, and worrying about how my mom would react, blocked out every other thought as I wandered from class to class. I was completely drained by the time the last period was over, and shuffled like a zombie, or possibly a robot, to the detention room.

When I entered the tiny room, Mrs McCrudger opened a drawer in her desk as she said, "Please have a seat."

I looked at the row of desks on the other side of the room, and saw Richie, Vic, and Chrissy sitting at three of them. Even though nobody spoke, they all gave me quick smiles as I walked to the last desk. Once I had my backpack stowed under my chair and was sitting, the principal brought over a pile of laptops, and placed one in front of each of us.

When she got back to her desk, she folded her hands in front of her keyboard, then said, "Please open your laptops, then sign in, using your first name as a user name, and your last name as a password."

I lifted the top of the device on my desk, and the screen lit up. I tried signing in the way I'd been told, got an error message, grumbled while switching my first and last name around, and logged in.

After the click of everyone's keyboards stopped, Mrs McCrudger said, "Now that you've all signed in, I'll be sending a document to you." A moment after she tapped her mouse, a window opened on my screen, with a header that said, [My Change Suggestions].

The principal looked at each of us as she said, "I would like you to write an essay, using at least one hundred words."

I cringed at the word 'essay'. It was a close second to 'detention' as my least favorite word.

"Please describe the changes you'd like to see in this school," she said, "and why you'd like to see those changes. While I expect you to be polite, I'd also like you to be open and honest."

I peeked at Richie, who gave me a wink while her fingers danced across her keyboard. Feeling a little braver, I cracked, my knuckles, then began to type. Bashing school policy isn't as easy as some might think ... at least, not while trying to be polite. Keeping my temper under control was even harder.

Eventually, I tabbed over to the submit button, and hit the Enter key with a shaky finger.

The principal looked up a few seconds later, gave me a nod, then studied her screen. I could barely hear my friends typing over the thump of my pulse rushing through my ears. After a couple of minutes, a chat window popped up on my screen.

[Mrs McCrudger: I enjoyed reading your essay.]
[Me: ty]
[Mrs McCrudger: You misspelled "horrible".]
[Me: sorry]
[Mrs McCrudger: I also noticed a few missing punctuation marks, and capitalization errors.]

I started rolling my eyes, caught myself, and clenched my jaw instead.

[Me: Sorry about that.]
[Mrs McCrudger: Besides that, it was well done.]
[Me: Thanks again.]
[Mrs McCrudger: Would you mind if I asked a personal question about something you wrote?]

I tried imagining what sort of question she wanted to ask, then shrugged as I started typing again.

[Me: More personal than what I sent?]
[Mrs McCrudger: Perhaps not more personal, but on a similar level.]
[Me: I guess so.]

The clatter of my friends typing began to drop off.

[Mrs McCrudger: Pardon me a moment. I need to review the other essays.]
[Me: Sure.]

I waited for the principal read what my friends wrote, and pass messages back and forth with them. It gave me plenty of time to wonder if maybe I should have been more polite in my essay. It also gave me time to worry about what Mrs McCrudger wanted to ask me.

Eventually, a few dots at the bottom of my chat window pulsed, letting me know the principal was sending a new message.

[Mrs McCrudger: You mentioned feeling all students should be allowed to dress how they want, and go where they want, and identify with what gender feels best to them.]
[Me: I said that?]
[Mrs McCrudger: Well, I'm paraphrasing, but that seemed to be what you were saying. Was I mistaken?]

I shift-tabbed to my essay window, read through what I had written, then switched back to the chat window.

[Me: I guess I did say all that. Just not the exact same words.]
[Mrs McCrudger: With that in mind, is there a specific gender with which you most identify?]
[Me: I guess boy.]
[Mrs McCrudger: You're not sure?]
[Me: I never thought of being anything else.]

I thought back to my session with the school therapist.

[Me: At least not before today.]
[Mrs McCrudger: What happened today?]
[Me: I learned about delicates, and delicate boys. I think I'm a delicate boy.]
[Mrs McCrudger: I see. Would you like your mother to sign a form, confirming your gender identity?]

My throat tightened as I thought about that.

[Me: Why do you ask?]
[Mrs McCrudddger: It's a topic which came up when she asked to see me.]
[Me: You saw my mom?]
[Mrs McCruger: That is correct.]
[Me: Where?]
[Mrs McCruger: In my office.]

"Oh jeez," I whispered as I typed with fingers that were almost too numb to feel the keys.

[Me: She's here?]
[Mrs McCrudger: Yes, and she'd like to speak to you.]

Before I could ask what my mom wanted to say to me, the principal stood up and said, "Thank you for your essays. I'll be giving what each of you said serious consideration tonight. You're all dismissed."

"All of us?" I asked as I grabbed my backpack.

Mrs McCrudger looked at me and said, "We need to discuss something in my office first."

=-=-=

Terror took away all ability to speak as I followed behind the principal. By the time we reached her office, I'd been able to do enough breathing exercises to bring myself down to just really worried.

Mom was sitting in a chair in front of the principal's desk when I walked into the office. She smiled and said, "Hello, sweetie. How was your day?"

I stared as I walked closer to her. I stood in front of her, and stared some more. "That's the first question you have for me?"

She pursed her lips, then frowned as she asked, "What should have been my first question?"

"I dunno," I said as I flopped into the chair next to her. "Maybe something like, 'Hey, Tommy, my one and only son ... why are you wearing a skirt?' "

My mom smiled again as she said, "I figured you'd tell me about that when you're ready."

"And ... you're not freaked out?"

"Well, I was a little surprised, but not 'freaked out'."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Why should I be?"

" 'Cause I'm a boy!"

Mrs McCrudger lowered herself into the leather chair behind her desk as she said, "Does that mean there's a part of your essay which doesn't accurately reflect how you feel?"

I gave the principal a confused look. "Which part ya talking about?"

She started typing as she said, "The part where you said people should be able to wear what they'd like to wear."

"I ... uhhh ... well, I guess ... yeah, people aughta be able to where what they want."

"I'm glad to hear that," she said while clicking her mouse. The printer behind her began humming as she asked, "Is what you're wearing now something you'd like to wear in the future?"

"I dunno," I said as I looked down at my bare knees.

Mom reached under my chin, and turned my head, until I was looking into her deep blue eyes. "What don't you know?"

"Lotsa stuff."

"Such as?"

I shrugged and said, "Stuff like, why I like pretty stuff, even though I'm a boy; or why girls get to wear boy stuff, but boys ain't allowed to wear girl stuff; or why ya got mad at me when I'd tried putting on that shirt."

My mom blinked and shook her head. "I don't understand. What shirt?"

"The one I'd been trying on in the girl's department, when you'd took me shopping for school clothes."

Her forehead wrinkled. A couple of seconds later, her brows shot up. "Are you talking about when you were six, and you'd wandered off with some strange girl?"

"She wasn't strange," I said. I thought about how she'd talked a boy into wearing girl clothes, then said, "Well, maybe a little strange, but she was nice too."

"Perhaps, but you still shouldn't have-" Mom's eyes widened as she said, "Wait a minute, you thought I was upset about the shirt you were trying on, because it was a girl's shirt?"

"Well ... yeah."

She reached across the space between our chairs, and patted my hand. "Sweetheart, I was upset because ... I thought I'd lost you. It had nothing to do with what you wanted to wear."

"So ... ya don't mind me dressing like this?" I asked.

Not at all," she said as she squeezed my hand.

I gulped and squeezed back. "What about me calling myself a delicate boy, instead of just a boy?"

For a second, it looked like she was going to ask something, then she smiled and said, "If you're okay with it, then so am I."

"If you're sure about that," Mrs McCrudger said as she slid a sheet of paper towards my mom, "would you mind signing this form?"

=-=-=

"I see you know how to get into a car while wearing a skirt," my mom said as I slid into the passenger seat.

"I've watched ya do it tons of times," I said while pulling my legs in.

"I'd noticed," Mom said as she buckled herself in.

I slammed my door closed, then latched my seatbelt as I asked, "Why didn't ya say anything?"

Mom was quiet for a long while, then said, "When you were younger, I suspected you might be transgender."

"Really?"

She nodded and said, "At least, I did at first. There was something about you that was ..."

"Delicate?" I asked.

"That's a good description," she said as she nodded. "But, as you got older, you changed."

"I didn't seem as delicate any more?"

"Not exactly. It was more as if ... you wanted to keep that part of you hidden. Whenever I tried drawing you out, you tended to be defensive, and evasive. Eventually, I figured it might be best if I didn't keep pressing the issue, and let you decide when you were ready to talk to me."

My throat and chest ached when I thought back, and realized how much effort I'd put into shutting her out. "I'm so sorry, Mom."

"You've nothing to be sorry about," she said as she brushed a strand of hair over my ear. "Whether your my son, or daughter, or anything else, I love you, and I'll always be there to support you."

That's when I started bawling.

After a long hug, and several tissues later, I smiled and said, "Thanks so much, Mom."

My mom smiled as she hitched my buckle back up, then got herself buckled in. "Any time, sweetie." She started up the car, then said, "I think we need a treat."

"Ya mean, like ... ice cream?"

Mom nodded and said, We could do that, but maybe we should go shopping first."

"What we need to go shopping for?"

"School clothes."

"I already got my uniform." I thought about the UPX package still hiding in one of the boxes at our new home, and said, "Make that uniforms."

"Good point. How about casual clothes?"

"I got those too."

"Are you happy with them?"

"Well ..."

"I thought so," Mom said as she pulled away from the curb. She gave me a warm smile as she said, "You're old enough to know what you do and don't like to wear." She grinned as she added, "Let's go find what that is."

=-=-=

The End

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lovely, well told

That's the mom we'd all like to have had. And maybe the principal isn't the big bad wolf. Thanks!

>>> Kay

Tommy's mom...

...is definitely rather open when it comes to gender related stuff. While the principal doesn't take kindly to rudeness or disrespect, she does care a lot about her students, and is always working on improving things for them, even if most of what she does happens in conference calls and board meetings.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! :D

Breaking the Training Cycle

BarbieLee's picture

Tracy has been trained to be "all boy" all her life up to this point. The shirt was a misunderstanding between what she thought was her mom being mad for her breaking the boy rule. This is real life for everyone, live and die by the rules put in place. Strongly suspect Tracy's aggressions were deep seated, hidden frustration at her designated lot in life. She showed that in spades storming into the principle's office and demanding "stuff be changed" but she wasn't clear on what "stuff". That is an angry outburst pure and simple boiling into a tempest inside her, needing release but not coherent release.
I'm wondering about our intrepid author? She is a psychologist, studied psychology, or she's naturally talented in that direction.
Hugs Heather, well written and executed
Barb
When life hands you lemons, give them back. It's a trick.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Trying to act like a boy...

...was definitely tough on Tommy/Tracy. Part of feeling forced into that role was a misunderstanding about what Mom expected, but a lot of it was from society in general, and the expectations placed on anyone who was assigned male at birth. Tommy's aggression was definitely based on frustration with those expectations. Hopefully, now that some understanding has been found about what his mom *really* expects, some of that aggression will ease off a bit.

As for the author ... well, I'm not a psychologist, but I have done some research into the subject. I've also gone to a few psychologist as a kid, so I have a bit of familiarity with what happens in therapy sessions. That by no means makes me an expert, but it is a source I'd pulled from while writing this story.

I'm glad you enjoyed this story, Barb! *hugging back* :)

Thank you, Charlie!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the way Tommy developed in this story. It was a lot of fun getting to know him as well as the others he became friends with. :)

Yay! This is a great ending.

WillowD's picture

And I'm delighted to see that the principal did, indeed, take the time to find out what the kids wanted.

Thank you.

I'm so glad...

...you liked the ending! The principal was originally going to be the antagonist in this story, but when Ms Etcherson came along, and later when Griff popped out of nowhere, her role shifted a bit. I'm glad it did, because it started looking like someone with a bit of authority needed to be there, to make the kinds of changes Tommy and his friends needed to have happen. Thank you for all your support through the development of this story! :)

I'm wondering if Tommy/Tracy

Rose's picture

I'm wondering if Tommy/Tracy stops at Delicate Boy or goes farther.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

It's possible...

...that Tommy may at some point decide he's not really a delicate boy. After all, he's only just learned about the identity, and may later decide something else works better. But, at least for now, it kinda feels like being a delicate boy is what's going to work best. :)

Facing the issue

Jamie Lee's picture

It seems the other counselor was able to help Tommy curb his physical aggression but never reached the root of Tommy's problem.

It wasn't until of the missing comma and being forced to wear the girls uniform that he was forced to actually face his root problem.

The group payed for barging into Mrs. Crudger's office but not in the way they thought. It's one thing to voice complaints, or suggestions, it's another to put them and the whys down in words.

Uniforms are often times required to prevent the haves from flaunting what they have in front of the have nots. And from the developing of gangs wearing the same clothes.

But if uniforms are required, there must be common sense used too. Requirements in different kinds of weather must be taken into consideration. Skirts in the colder times of year should be left up to the student. Lighter uniforms, or it being modified, during hotter parts of the year should be considered.

The groups want to wear what they want will have to be tempered because some kids could go so wild as to become a disruption.

Tommy's other problem was confusion in who he was supposed to be, dictated to him by others. No one thought to ask him in such a way that he could express himself without feeling guilty for what he said. Until he started attending his new school, and it wasn't until detention and putting down his thoughts, that he was finally able to really talk with his mom, by way of Mrs. Crudger, about what was really bothering him.

This is a really nice story, touching on themes which many kids face but aren't often given the chance to say or express what they feel. However, it feels as though there is more to the story, especially after the shopping trip and mom signing the form. Plus, what changes are made based on what the group sent to Mrs. Crudger and her fight with the school board. Still, my thumb is up for this story.

Others have feelings too.

Excellent summary...

...of some of the things that happened in this story! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for all your comments! :)

Noooooooo

Please don't say this is over! I'm enjoying this too much. I was really hoping to see how everything goes as he goes through his changes - does he eventually go all the way to girl, or stays a delicate boy?

Sorry...

...but I think that's then end of this story. At least, it is for now. As far as going all the way to girl ... I have a feeling that won't happen. For some people, identifying as delicate, or as a delicate boy, might be something they might explore while moving towards identifying as a girl. For others, identifying as a boy or girl isn't right for them, and they may find something like delicate boy a perfect fit. While I haven't decided for sure yet, at the moment, I feel Tommy is that second kind of person.

This

story feels like it could go on for a bit longer. I know you did tie up a few loose ends in this chapter, but you also created a few more. Like what did happen to the changes, that Tommy wanted to see changed, did they change or were they just left by the wayside? Also, what about Tommy and his Mother? I would be interested to see how that plays out?
That said, I really loved this story, and look forward to more from you. :-)

I do see ...

... a few loose ends to this story, but I really wasn't able to find enough conflict to move the story forward. Something might gel later, but I'm not sure when, or even if that will happen. I had tried creating another story based on the perspective of one of the supporting characters, but I didn't get through more than a couple of chapters before it felt like I was just telling the same story all over again. I may revisit that idea again later, but no promises.

I'm glad you enjoyed this story! I'm working on a couple of new story ideas, but I'll wait to see where they lead before saying more. Thank you for your encouragement, and support! :)

Conflict

While parental certification of gender likely means most of the "there are only two genders, set by your chromosomes and immutable" crowd wouldn't send their children to the school, there's still potential for uproar at gender self cert by some teachers, students, parents and other interested parties (notably the more Conservative churches).

In addition, there may be other bullies who haven't yet been caught because everyone's too scared of them to report - but as Tommy's new, that won't have reached him on the grapevine yet. As such, it's possible someone annoys him so much he forgets his training and clobbers the bully, potentially getting into trouble.

Then outside school, there's the potential for others to see what appears to be a boy wearing feminine apparel and take exception. Notably, if Vic's allowed to hang out with the others in the SIGL outside school, de dresses up in more comfortable apparel, then gets spotted by der parents...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Those conflicts ...

... are definitely tickling my muse awake. I'm not sure where that may lead, but it definitely has me thinking. Maybe, after I finish what I'm currently working on, I may try exploring those ideas so more. Thank you for the inspiration! :D

Premise

If Mom had her suspicions, perhaps the "mistake" that set this all off was intentional.

I can see ...

Tommy's mom trying to find out for sure if her child is transgender, but she seems more the kind of person to work through a psychologist (which I hinted a little at in this story) rather than orchestrating a "mistake" in the school records. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's hard for me to imagine her doing that. But ... who know? In stories here at BCTS, the unexpected sometimes happens. :)

Riding off into the rainbow flag sunset

laika's picture

A perfect last line for a story about Tommy at this point in diz life
(note the pronoun I just made up for delicates, I guess with 'dee'
for 'delicate he'; but I'm not so sure de'd want to be called 'dim'...)
And this story does feel complete to me, but Tommy's group of friends
seems like a goldmine of potential stories centering on the lives of one or all (I'm still
loving Richie, who reminds me of Mr. Schultz's Peppermint Pattie for some odd reason...)
or some new kid they have to help. Maybe a new Self-Identified Gender League
story will pop into your head in a month or two when you least expect it...
~hugs, Veronica

I like your pronouns!

I have pronouns for delicate and rugged, but none for a delicate boy. I think, at least for now, Tommy will be using male pronouns, but who know what he may decide to do later? I had been working on a story for Richie, but it was following the same timeline of this story, and it was starting to feel too much like I was retelling the same story, so I put it aside. She does have a sorta Peppermint Patty feel to her, now that I think of it. :)

lovely!

if only all schools were so understanding ...

DogSig.png

From what I've heard ...

... some schools are working on making room for their more gender expansive students. Hopefully, that trend will continue, and there will be more understanding and acceptance of those who's genders are a bit different from the other kids. :)

For want of a comma

This is a great story. I look forward to reading a long story if you decide to do one.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Thank you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! :)

Nice Mom

I thought his mom didn't mistype his name, and I was correct. What a great story, I'd love to see a prequel and/or a sequel to it.

TGSine --958

Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed this story. While it's not a sequel, "Richie's Story" does expand a little on this story, by telling things from Richie's perspective.