Unaccounted Gains - Book 1 - Part 10

Printer-friendly version
UG1_cover  

Accountancy Can Be Deadly
Part 10

First posted here in 2014, this story had only been available on Kindle since 2017.

 
Stalling

Gail woke in a positive mood, she now had a clear idea of what was necessary to get out of the house and set up on her own. There was also the fall-back promise of a job inside the Security Service, yesterday's trip had been worth it despite Anna's objections.

She swam alone and took her time showering afterwards, finally joining Emily and Helen for breakfast later than usual, Anna was absent and Gail was unsure if she should ask. In the end, Helen decided to tell her.

"Anna has left us, she has been removed from the post."

"Oh, why?"

"I'm not able to say at the moment, we'll decide shortly if you need another protection officer but it's clear you don't need a nurse now."

"True." Gail was confused, Anna hadn't been friendly at all yesterday but was that reason enough to lose her? "Helen, was this connected to your meeting yesterday?"

"Sorry Gail, I can't say."

Gail also knew that Emily had stayed overnight to attend to a task, but that hadn't involved herself so was it connected to Anna? Anyway, Gail now needed someone else.

"Helen, Anna was starting a self-defence class with me, I would like to continue it."

"I'll speak to Jenny and see what we can do."

"Thanks."

Emily had sat there quietly and clearly didn't want to get drawn in. Without waiting for a refill to her tea she left, apologising she couldn't stay longer. She stood and walked towards the hallway.

"I have a ten o'clock meeting with the Assistant Commissioner, unfortunately. Here's my new business card if you feel you need to talk."

"Thanks, bye."

"Bye."

Gail turned to speak to Helen but she had disappeared. Gail really wanted to find out more about Anna's sudden departure but would remain in the dark for now. Without anything better to do she walked into the library and shut the door behind her.

During yesterday's meetings in Château MI5 Gail had been promised the relevant IBAN codes for each of the German Banks plus a full list of the international prefixes. That information had arrived by email so Gail printed it off. When she collected the sheets they were each headed "NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED", even unrestricted information has to be marked in this strange environment.

Now she started on the very latest accounts, those that finished on 1st April 2014, working backwards. Dave Brown had asked her specifically to search for any one-off German account transfers so she used Excel's search facility to scan the worksheets. This took some time given the sheer number of German financial houses but she had a hit on one account that was disguised as a routine payment, with only the account number to tell otherwise.

Gail had trouble finding the associated paperwork for this entry and kicked herself for not spotting this whilst Hamiz Fourani had been alive. Too late to worry about that now. She ploughed on, diving into the previous tax year, 2012-2013, to make the same searches. As each year was a separate sheet, in a separate workbook, the searches were done manually. Gail was sure she could have done this faster with a VBA program but she'd never bothered to investigate Microsoft Excel © to that extent.

Another hour's work produced six similar responses, although none of them exactly matching the others. These were anomalies, to be sure. Gail typed them up into an email and sent it off to Dave Brown's team.

It was nearly eleven o'clock when she exited the library and headed towards the natural light of the conservatory. Jenny found her almost immediately.

"I understand you would like some self-defence training?"

"Yes, I had done one session with Anna before...."

"I know. Anyway, one of the security team is a qualified instructor and is happy to do a session with you each morning before breakfast when they would otherwise do their own workout."

"Thank you, what time?"

"As soon after seven as you can get down to the fitness suite. Now, would you like a coffee?"

"Yes please."

Gail sat and picked up her newspaper, it was as full of doom and gloom as ever. On the Home News pages there was a short article about a Metropolitan Police Inspector who had been charged with subverting the course of justice. The Inspector wasn't named but Gail had a good idea who. The question was, however, why 'subverting' and not under the Official Secrets Act? Maybe there was some bargaining going on? Also, why hadn't Emily mentioned this?

An unrelated short article reported that a senior Essex Police Officer had been sacked after indecent images were found on his home computer. Gail again suspected who this was and that there had been a cover-up.

Lisa brought her a coffee, and some post.

"Lisa, is Helen still in the building?"

"No Miss, Miss Bell left just after breakfast."

Gail waited for Lisa to leave then attended to the day's mail. This was the first post she'd seen in three weeks but it was very predictable, all four letters were from her bank. One was the PIN for her debit card, another was the PIN for her credit card, next was a statement and lastly the sign-on information for internet banking.

The statement showed the deposits that Helen had told her about, including a salary payment from Coleman & Sons. Gail laughed, this was the company name on her ID card. It was plainly done this way so that anyone couldn't make the connection to MI5, but in this case her alleged employer was a manufacturer of mustard, yellow mustard! Gail pondered this, if she had access to the Yellow Zone of Thames House then maybe someone requiring access to the Red Zone would have an ID from a strawberry jam maker?

Gail checked the address shown on the statement, it was in Amersham but without a map it would be difficult to see where it was, Gail definitely needed to be close to the station and hoped that someone had remembered that when sorting out the flat. She gathered up the paperwork and took it up to her room, dropping the envelopes in the bin.

Her phone rang, "Hello?"

"Hello Gail, just to let you know your driving instructor has arrived."

"What?"

"Your driving instructor."

"I know nothing about it."

"Helen had the information a few days ago."

"And didn't pass it on. Great. Is the instructor cleared?"

"He's a police instructor."

"Okay, give me a moment to choose some sensible shoes, fix my make-up, get out of this skirt ..."

"I'll tell him ten minutes, please remember to take your pass and phone."

Gail took eleven minutes, the extra minute was taken while she headed back to the bedroom to collect her handbag.

"Hello, I'm Gail."

"As in Abigail Adams?"

"The same." He had obviously been given the cover identity.

"Have you driven before?"

"Never."

"Hop in the passenger side and we'll go somewhere safe."

He drove her out of the underground roadway then out of the security gate before turning hard left and into a farm entrance. They reached a security gate that was hidden from the road then continued past some farm buildings, parking in a marked 'waiting' area.

"Okay Gail, let's swap places. This is a test area for advanced driving and we're the only visitors today. The car is a manual, if you want to drive an automatic after you pass then that's your choice."

Gail was wondering why she'd let herself be railroaded, but this tuition would set her back £50 an hour in parts of London.

"How many lessons do I get?"

"Your test is booked for next Thursday."

"Next Thursday?"

"That's what I just said. Now, our time is limited, we only have until 1pm and it's well past 11."

"Okay, okay, what's your name?"

"John."

"Thanks, John, just tell me what to do."

Gail stalled the car ten times in five minutes getting used to the clutch, crashed the gearbox several times and wiped the windows when she was supposed to be indicating a turn. Fairly standard new driver issues. As the roads were private there was no traffic to contend with and no-one to see her mistakes.

It was approaching one o'clock when John called a halt and asked Gail to drive them back to the house.

"On the road?"

"This isn't a ruddy flying car."

"I mean, oh, forget it."

She carefully drove to the farm's security gate which opened automatically and out briefly onto the small road that fed the house's private entrance. Gail pulled up at the gate not certain what to do.

"Do you have a pass?"

"In my bag, I'll find it."

"Typical woman."

"I heard that!"

"Sorry."

"I have my pass, what do I do with it?"

"Open the window, there's a card reader in the wall."

Indeed there was, the gate slid open and Gail drove forward then down the ramp into the roadway. A minute later she pulled up in the underground car-park, then stalled the car. The instructor pulled on the hand-brake as Gail had forgotten.

She was already getting out of the car when he reminded her.

"Eleven o'clock prompt tomorrow."

Gail didn't say anything and just walked up to the security door to get into the house itself. She was wondering where her pass had gone when there was a call from behind.

"Would you like your bag?"

 
Justin
 

Thursday's lunch was quiet, Gail found herself eating alone, again. Jenny was keeping out of the way too with Lisa on solo table duty. Once that was concluded, Gail wondered what to do for the afternoon. She still had her bag with her so went outside then turned left to reach a security door, her pass unlocked the door and she entered the control suite.

"Who are you?"

"Abigail Adams, and I'd like to use the range."

"This is a restricted area, you shouldn't be able to get in here."

"My pass is valid for here, could you please ask the range officer if I can go in?"

Gail could tell that the officer hadn't met her before but surely he'd been briefed? He picked up a telephone and spoke briefly before hanging up.

"Can you wait for a couple of minutes, that is wait for the green light?"

"Thank you. I'm also supposed to be having some self-defence training in the mornings, do you know who that might be with?"

"That'll be me, Justin"

"Thanks Justin, don't be too hard on me."

"I'll try, but an attacker wouldn't give you an easy time."

The range safety light turned green so Gail didn't need to give a response. She opened the range door and walked inside.

***

Gail removed her ear defenders and shook out her hair. This had been hard work, the range officer had been acting as a tutor and hadn't been light on her. Her aim, however, was improving as well as her handling in general. She arranged for another session the following day.

Figuring she needed a shower she headed upstairs but instead changed into a swimsuit and walked down to the pool for her second swim of the day, this time she wanted the steam room as well.

***

Suitably cleansed and relaxed, Gail walked into the library and settled down to do some analysis of the Fourani accounts. Following a request from Dave Brown at the Security Service she was going backwards through the accounts, having started on the 2014 accounts a few days earlier.

By four thirty she had decided that was sufficient for the day and took a slow walk out of the conservatory and along the paved path, ending up outside the walled garden. Inside was Justin sat on a bench, Gail joined him.

"Hello Miss Adams."

"It's Gail. Hi again."

"I'm sorry I was a bit abrupt earlier but I hadn't read my security briefing fully, I was expecting some middle-aged woman and not a lovely young lady."

Gail pondered this back-handed compliment, "I take it that you've read the briefing now?"

"Yes, apologies again."

"Apologies accepted."

"I'd like to make it up to you."

"How?"

"Dinner?"

"I always eat here."

"So I was told but I'm part of your security detail so how about dinner for two tonight in one of the nearby pubs?"

"Is that appropriate?"

"I might be stretching the rules slightly (cough) but think I can justify it. Be ready for seven, I'll inform the housekeeper."

"Okay, I accept."

He leant over and gave Gail a kiss on the cheek, causing her to blush profusely. Feeling embarrassed he immediately stood and withdrew to the house, leaving Gail wondering what she'd started.

Gail waited there, not entirely sure if she should change her mind, that was her prerogative after all? Finally she walked back up to the house and met Lisa in the hallway.

"I won't be eating here tonight."

"Yes Miss, I have just been told."

"Is there a problem?" Gail wasn't entirely certain of Lisa's position.

"No, erm, no Miss."

"Thank you Lisa. I best get myself ready, could I have a pot of tea, please?"

"Certainly."

Gail helped herself up the stairs and, one on her room, started pulling frocks out of the large wardrobe. The pile of rejections was growing on her bed as she heard a knock on the door. "Come in Lisa."

Jenny was the one who brought the tray in, she was plainly not happy.

"What do you think you are doing?"

"Trying to work out what to wear, are you going to help?"

"NO! I am very close to vetoing this plan and sending young Justin back where he came from."

"Look, Jenny, why take it out on me? He was a bit sweet and may be stretching the rules a little but I actually get an evening out and, if I'm not wrong, there's no-one else here?"

"No-one else? Ha! Do you have any idea how many have to be fed each day, and not just you, my prima donna."

"Jenny, is that what you really think? Am I a bloody tart? I've spent three weeks incarcerated and out of the blue I get an offer of a meal out with a polite gentleman. Whilst this is a new experience for me there's no way I manufactured the situation. Take what opinion you wish but I'm going out! Now, I would like to shower so, if you don't mind ...."

Jenny spun on her heels and exited Gail's room; this was not over, apparently.

Gail actually had almost two hours to spare so it was barely enough time to get herself readied for the evening, but she first had an idea. Four minutes later she was back outside, carrying her bag, walking into the walled garden. She sat down and prayed this would work, as she turned on her phone. Hopefully this far from the house she might get a signal?

She scrolled down the names looking for Helen's number, amazingly it started ringing.

"Hello Gail?"

"Hi Helen. I need to talk to you."

"Where are you?"

"At the house."

"I can't get there right now, is it urgent?"

"I think so."

"Right, can you see the yellow padlock emblem on display?"

"Yes."

"Press that in 3 seconds, it will take a few more to work."

"Okay."

The display background on Gail's phone turned into a large yellow padlock with the word 'Secured' written across it.

"Are you still there, Gail?"

"Yes Helen."

"So, what's the issue?"

Gail recounted her conversations with Justin, plus her experience with the driving instructor, ending up with Jenny's attitude problem.

"I see. Firstly my mistake that I forgot to tell you when your first lesson was happening. No excuse for the instructor's behaviour though. When's your next lesson?"

"Eleven tomorrow."

"I'll try to deal with it before then. Now, the Justin case."

Gail snickered, Helen hadn't realised what she'd said. She continued.

"He's a qualified close protection officer but I have some concerns here so can understand Jenny's position. However, if you are going to be in the outside world again very soon then you need to experience life as a woman. To that end I'll authorise the evening."

"Thank you."

"Gail, I know you are feeling caged in there but it won't be for much longer. Go to your room and get ready, I'll call Jenny and put her mind at rest."

"Thanks Helen. Are you coming here over the weekend?"

"Sunday maybe, depending on other things."

"What can you tell me about Anna's sudden departure?"

"Nothing yet, sorry. Anyway, get up to your room and get moving."

"Yes, Mum,"

"Cheeky!"

Back upstairs, for the third time that day, Gail stepped into the shower. This time she made certain that all of her make-up was off, that her hair was conditioned, her skin moisturised and any body hairs were razored into non-existence.

That only left the issue of what to wear.

At seven on the dot Gail let herself into the car-park and met Justin by their transport for the evening. He held a door open for her as she swept her maxi dress into the car. The journey wasn't long, no more than fifteen minutes, and Justin pulled into the entrance of a sixteenth century inn. Gail waited until he'd walked round and opened her door before making any move to exit the vehicle.

Several hours later, Gail crawled into bed, her own bed naturally. Justin had been the perfect gentleman and the meal had been acceptable, although the house wine was not. Gail was asleep almost instantly.

 
MCP
 

It was almost the weekend so Gail thought she could have a bit of a lie in, foregoing her morning swim. No such luck as just after seven her phone rang.

"Had you forgotten?"

"Forgotten what, who is this?"

"Justin, I'm in the fitness suite expecting you for your self-defence lesson."

"Oh, heck. Give me a few minutes, I don't think my nightie is appropriate?"

"That's a shame."

"Get lost!" She did however laugh as she said it.

Gail didn't bother with a bra and her falsies, just throwing on a vest and clean undies, then her sweats. That would have to do for now. She looked in the mirror and decided this was a bad hair day but quick work with a damp brush sorted out the worst of it, at least she didn't now look like she'd be dragged through a bush.

It was quarter past seven when she arrived at the fitness suite, Justin stood there with hands on hips.

"Sorry, I could make a sexist remark right now, but I guess you aren't in the mood?"

"No, Justin, I had enough of that from the driving instructor yesterday. Can we just get on with it?"

They worked on a few techniques, not quite the same as Anna's methods, but Gail was not happy.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"No it isn't."

"Look Justin, I had a lovely evening yesterday but I'm not sure if this is appropriate."

"In what way?"

"Sorry." Gail turned and walked out, she figured that Justin may try to stop her but was past caring. She was fond of Justin but did not want to become involved with him. Did he know her secret? How far could a relationship go? She had no real answers to these questions as she entered her bedroom and turned the key in the door.

Now Gail was truly confused, she hadn't considered what might happen if she became too close to any of the staff and hadn't planned for the eventuality - as if you could. She flounced onto her bed and curled up, sobbing. Had she done something wrong? How was she supposed to feel? How would a real woman feel? She still didn't know any answers.

It was ten minutes before she felt able to get into the shower, using copious amounts of tissues to blot her eyes, rather silly as she was about to soak them anyway. That's human nature for you.

By the time she made it downstairs for breakfast the redness in her eyes had faded although he appetite had escaped. A few minutes after she arrived she felt distinctly unwell and ran to her room, almost knocking Lisa over on the stairs. She had an urgent appointment in the bathroom and needed to get there immediately, pausing only to turn the key in her door.

All was not well as she sat on the porcelain throne. Finally she felt able to get up but slipped a pantyliner into her knickers, just in case. What had caused this? It seemed that a nightie was appropriate.

Gail remembered the two glasses of wine she had the previous evening, she hadn't been happy about the quality but had not complained as she didn't want to spoil the evening. She fell onto her bed and again curled up, falling asleep as she hugged her stomach.

It was another fifteen minutes before anything happened, although to Gail it could have been hours. She was stirred as the phone rang, Jenny went straight to the point when Gail answered after almost thirty seconds.

"What's wrong?"

"Stomach."

"How bad?"

"Acid."

"What do you think the cause is?

"Maybe last night's wine, it wasn't the best."

"Leave that with me, I'll get Lisa to bring up some antacid and a cold bottle of water for you."

"Thanks, my door's locked."

"Don't worry about that."

"Thanks Jenny."

She rang off, it didn't seem to take very long after the phone reached the cradle before there was a knock at the door, followed by Lisa entering.

"How did you get in?"

"It's a security measure in case one of our other guests decides to be silly. Now, I'll get a glass from your bathroom so you can take this."

Lisa left shortly after and Gail slumbered for a few hours. It was lunchtime before she was able to get back out of bed, even if this was a short trip into the bathroom. By her next trot to the porcelain throne she was feeling a little better and had finished half a litre of water, almost a pint. When she next awoke the bottle had been replaced with chilled water indicating there had been a visitor.

Finally at five she felt able to get up, the risk being that she wouldn't sleep that night. She wrapped a dressing gown around her and slid feet into into some comfy mule slippers then gingerly walked out of her room, mindful that she didn't want to be too far from the loo.

She met Jenny on the stairs.

"Gail, are you sure this is a good idea?"

"I can't lay up there all day and I hope the worst is over."

"If you want to sit in the conservatory I can have some sandwiches brought to you in case you feeling hungry later?"

"Not sure but thanks for the thought."

"It's nothing, now I'll have Lisa strip and remake your bed so it's fresh when you get back up there."

"Thanks again."

Gail shuffled down the stairs and headed to the back of the house. It was quiet, Gail took advantage of a foot stall and soon had her feet up. Jenny brought a jug of iced water and a glass, there was some lemon and lime in the water, and a couple of antacids on the tray. Her newspaper was also waiting for her.

"Jenny, what happened to the driving instructor?"

"Oh, you had a lesson this morning? I think the security team dealt with him after he made some disparaging comments about you. His manager was expecting him in the office an hour later."

Giggle, "he definitely fell into the MCP category."

"MCP?"

"Male Chauvinist Pig."

It was Jenny's turn to laugh. "Oh, that restaurant you went to last night?"

"Yes?"

"It had a visit from the health inspector at lunchtime who ordered the destruction of their wine stock, none of which was as claimed."

"Serves them bloody right."

"I don't suppose you'll go back there?"

"Not likely, even with the promise of a free lunch."

"Come on Gail, don't turn down everything automatically. Anyway, I'm sorry about last night, I wasn't up to speed on the plan but Helen explained that you'll be going out into the real world again soon."

"That is the plan, but first I have to finish a job."

"Not today you don't, and take tomorrow easy too."

"Thanks Jenny."

The plate of sandwiches, salmon and cucumber, arrived soon after and Gail felt brave enough to try one. She also had a stab at the crossword in the paper and checked what was happening in the outside world; nothing good as it happens. In European news there was a report of several raids in German cities by anti-terrorist police. She smiled, knowingly, then picked up another sandwich.

At one point Justin came into the conservatory, looking quite chasten. "I've been told that you're unwell probably because of last night's meal. I'd like to apologise."

"It wasn't your fault the wine was off."

"No, but I took you there. You also might have misinterpreted me?"

"In what way?" Gail was toying with him, plainly feeling strong enough.

"I have feelings for you, that's unprofessional and wrong, I'm going to ask to be taken off the operation."

"Justin, I'm happy to work with you so long as you respect me and we keep this a business relationship. Understand?"

"Yes, boss."

He sauntered off outside, slightly happier than when he walked in. He hadn't, however, noticed Jenny in the doorway from the house.

"You're learning Gail!"

"It just felt like the right thing to say. It's not Justin, I'm simply not ready for any relationships."

"Take it at your own pace, you'll work it all out in the end. That reminds me, Dr Young phoned yesterday, she'd like to see you on Monday as it's almost two weeks since your last appointment."

"Oh, you mean Hannah? I liked her."

"It's the first time we've used her but it looks like she'll stay on our books considering the number of gender confused folks there are in the Security Service these days. It used to be a sacking offence you know."

"I can guess."

Jenny changed her tack, "I see you've finished the sandwiches. Would you like anything else?"

"A yoghurt or something similar?"

"How about a banana with Greek yoghurt?"

"Sounds good."

Gail finally made it back to her room just after eight, as promised the bedding was fresh. She did however allow herself a quick shower before sleep took priority.
 
----
 
This book - Accountancy Can Be Deadly - concludes with Part 12.

This book, and the follow-up - Spying By Numbers - are also both available for Kindle.

The third book, Diminishing Returns is currently in production.

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Didn't Justin Drink?

joannebarbarella's picture

It seems odd that only Gail suffered from the wine at dinner. I would have thought that Justin would also have had some, even if it was only one glass if he was driving.

I have to suspect poisoning, because wine that is "off" is usually "corked" and it is easily recognised by taste and smell. If that was what was wrong with it Gail should have been aware of it after, at most, a couple of sips. You don't have to be a connoisseur to know that it tastes bad.

So, did somebody want Gail to be temporarily incapacitated?

Life is full of lessons

Jamie Lee's picture

Those working for the Service know part of their job is to be somewhere they'd rather not be. In this case, Gail is not used to being in uncomfortable circumstances, as she was used to going out when it suited her.

She still doesn't understand how easy it would be for a contractor to get at her when she does go out. Her mind is only thinking about her comfort and not her immediate life. Even when she goes out on her own she won't give a lot of thought to her security, others will have to do that for her.

If that wine wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be, what was it, home brew? Whatever it was, if it didn't taste right there was nothing that said Gail had to drink it. In fact, if it tasted that bad they shouldn't have paid for it.

Others have feelings too.