Speedway Demons -chapter 9

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 9
Motegi twin ring Speedway, Motegi, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan, Friday morning.

I hobbled along on my crutches around the pit area of the track. I was still pissed that I would be off for Sunday’s race. It’s bad enough that I placed 21st in last week’s race even with the DNR. I wasn’t the only one who was pissed off at the way last week’s race ended. The Commission ended the race at the 10 laps later after the restart as the heavy evening rains rolled in off Tokyo Bay. Violet Knight good the win and the trophy for the race but she’s been bitching about how she won.

Not that I blame her. No driver likes to win under those conditions. I mean I would have been pissed myself winning with half the field out of the race, and then getting a rain cancel win. Sure, I was planning on the rain cancel win myself, but not with half the field taken out because of a wreck. A wreck that is still being investigated. My suspicion of the being sabotage has been confirmed by the Crew Chiefs of every car that caused a wreck.

“Yo Bobbie! Got a sec?” Jim yelled at me from over by his car.

“Sure. What do you need Jim?” I asked him as I hobbled over to his car.

“I know that you haven’t been able to drive the course, but you are the best driver we have at reading a track without setting foot on it. What can you tell me about this track?” I could tell that something about the twin ring was bugging Jim.

“Okay tell me what you’re feeling out there?” I asked him.

“That’s just it Bobbie. On the straightaways it’s like driving at Homestead. Right up until I enter the turns. Then it’s like driving at Sparta, with a loose as fuck truck.” Jim bitched. I could tell that this track really has him unsettled by the description he was giving me.

“What about Sam and Beth? They get the same feeling?” I asked hoping that they were. If they were then I knew it was the track itself.

“Nope. For them it’s like a Sunday drive out there.” Jim told me honestly.

“Have Chief Stone drop your sway bar two turns and put in a half wedge in the left front spring. That should tighten you up but not too tight for the turns. It’ll also let you power off the exits and give you greater control on the entry to the turns.” I knew that is what I would do.

“Thanks Bobbie.” Jim said with a smile. “By the way how’s the leg doing?”

I looked down at the brace that covered my left leg from the hip down to my toes. “The docs say I got to wear this damned thing for another three weeks. That means Melbourne and Darwin are out. The only good thing is I didn’t break any bones. Only bruised muscle and stretched tendons. I got lucky. Mori will be out until Berlin. Grigorievna and Aleskeevich will be back by Melbourne, but Bain is out of racing for good.”

“Damn. I actually liked the guy. Any word on the prognose?” Sam said as he and Beth joined us at Jim’s car.

“They say he’ll regain feeling in his legs but will need braces, with a cane or crutches to walk for the rest of life.” I told them. “Look guys I’ve been thinking about putting a collection together for Bain. I know that his home isn’t setup for handicap use. I thought that.”

“Already taken care of Bobbie. I got with the other teams while you were still laid up in the hospital. The only team that didn’t chip in was those three assholes over with Les Ailes de Justice. Though Christin Dior did give.” Beth told me with a nasty smile that sad more than words.

“I take it that you let the drivers of the other teams know who gave and who didn’t sister dear?” I asked with a smirk.

“Now why would I do something like? Just because the triple asshole gang needs to be reminded that they’re human too is no reason for me to go putting a target on their ass ends. Why that could be considered putting a bounty on a fellow driver. Highly unsportsman like.” Beth said as she sniffed at the air with all the class of an aristocrat.

We all chuckled at her little antics. “Okay sis. I’ll never accuse you of putting a target on someone else’s ass.”

“Damn straight! Your sorry ass is another story though little sister. I would happily paint a target on your ass.” Beth sneered. “Especially after that stunt you pulled last year in Spain.”

“Now wait one damned minute. All I did was spilt the rail with Mac then pull a slide job on your ass to take the win.” I bitched. Then giggled. “It’s not my fault that you got pissed and lost your chance at regaining the led.”

“Oh man. You did not piss off your sister in the middle of a Formula One race?” Sam asked after he picked his jaw up off the asphalt.

“The little shit sure did. It was the most humiliating thing I’ve ever seen.” Joey said as he joined us. “I was there. It was totally crazy.”

“He’s pulled that stunt more than once.” Kathy told Sam and the others as she walked up with a hot cup of tea. “Bobbie, your mom and dad want you up in the spotter’s nest with the rest of us for today’s practice, tomorrow’s qualifiers, and for the race on Sunday.”

“Don’t know what good I’ll be but if that’s what they want I’ll be there.” I said and began to think about why mom would want me up there. Then it hit me. It has rained here every night for the last week. Each rain has cleaned the track. Then we had the track drier crews blowing the track clear of clear in for the morning practice runs. Between the two the track is greener than the bamboo forests of Japan. I gave Beth, Sam and Jim a hard look. “Listen up guys. That track is going to be lean, mean, and green. At least for the first forty to fifty laps. I want you talking to us all the way around the track. This is one race where you’ll have to talk with the spotters.”

“Okay no big deal Bobbie. What do you want us to tell you?” Sam said as my replacement driver walked up to our little get together. Sam didn’t bother with being civil towards the woman. “We start our pre-race and practice briefings three hours before we take to the course, Alexander.”

“Whatever. You may need to give each other a pep talk before a race, but I don’t need one. I’ve been racing longer than all of you put together.” I wanted to smack the bitch silly but was saved the trouble by Kathy.

The round house smack damned near dropped Helen to her knees. “Listen up bitch. Because I’m only going to tell you this once. You ignore me just once while you’re in that car and it’ll be the last car you ever drive. Because unlike everyone else around here. I will beat your ass fucking stupid.”

“You want to try that again little girl?” Helen Alexander snarled as she regained her footing. “As for listening to some worthless spotter. You just keep your yap shut and leave the driving to me. A real professional.”

I started to chuckle then laughed out right at the woman’s arrogance. Beth then Sam and finally Jim joined in with their own laughter. Joey and Specs stepped up on each of side Kathy, while her mom stood behind Helen. The snarl that escaped Coach Hall’s lips was almost feral.

“The only reason your still on the circuit bitch is because the surveillance footage cleared your fucking ass of any wrongdoing. I don’t know how you’re used to doing shit back in Rally Racing but here at McGuire Racing International we work as a fucking team. Everyone from the drivers, to the spotters, all the way down to the fucking kid we pay to wash the shop rags.” Coach Hall was beyond pissed off. She was ready to throw down to get her point across to my replacement driver. “You don’t like the way we do business then take a fucking hike. I’m sure that those fuck sticks over at Reynolds Racing will give you a chance to bend over for them.”

“Don’t bother Coach Hall the bitch isn’t getting anywhere near my fucking car. Take a walk bitch.” I snarled and looked over at Chief Jake Stone. “Chief Stone, whose up next in the batter’s box?”

“Temperance Dickson, I’ll get her down here. Alexander get the fuck out of our pits. If I catch you still hanging around here in five minutes. I’ll be turning your ass over to those nice gentlemen in the blue uniforms.” I could tell that Slow Jake Stone wasn’t playing around. Ever sense last week the ISA have had the Security Officers replaced with actual Police. At least in the garage and pit areas. I think that it has something to do with the laundry list of charges that have been filed against the seven security guards that were responsible for the sabotage.

Between the seven of them they were looking at a long time behind bars. I thought about the list of charges against those seven knuckleheads as Alexander walked out of our garage areas. It started off with Assault with intent to cause Bodily Harm, Grievous Bodily Harm, Attempted Murder, Conspiracy to commit Murder, Child endangerment, race fixing, attempt to manipulate odds, illegal bookmaking, and end with Corporate Espionage. Personally, I had been rooting for the Crew Chiefs to get a hold of the assholes first. I just want five minutes with those cocksuckers in a locked room and my favorite torque wrench. I know that Mori wants to use their nut-sacks for coin purses.

As we watched Alexander leaving the garage area Danny puts two tires next to a stool and points saying. “Park it McGuire! You know what the doc said.”

“I’ve been sitting so much that my ass has gone numb.” I grumbled under my breath as sat down on the stool and propped my leg on the tires. “At least I don’t have to put up with a damned cast.”

“Keep ignoring the doctor’s orders and I’ll get the infield medical team to cast that leg.” Mom warned as she walked into the garage area. Dad was right on her heels. He had a cardboard tube in his hands. I knew that he had the layout for the track in that tube. “Did Kathy pass along my instructions for you to join her and the other spotters in the nest?”

“Yes ma’am. I figured out that you would want a driver’s point of view on how the race is running. Though I don’t think that it’ll matter come Sunday afternoon.” I told her.

“Why?” Dad asked as he opened the tube.

“With all the rain we’ve had this last week plus with the rain that is coming along with the track driers. That track is going to stay green for at least the first stage. Beth and the others will be fighting for grip the whole time. After lap sixty-five or sixty-six there will be enough rubber laid down that the track conditions will change. It’ll get tight. Really tight, dad. Every team out here is going to be chasing the track all day long. The only thing we have going for us is this track is laid out really close to what we have at Darlington.” I answered honestly with what I had already seen and figured out.

“You’re right about it being similar to Darlington.” Dad said as he rolled out two sperate maps on the worktable. One of Darlington the other of Motegi twin ring. At first, I couldn’t tell the difference between the two track layouts. It wasn’t until I noticed that road course underlaying the second egg shaped oval track that I spotted the differences. The second layout map was that of Motegi. I spotted the biggest difference between the two egg-shaped oval tracks first. Unlike Darlington, Motegi has two additional tunnels. One at the entrance to turn 3 and the other at the apex of turns 1 and 2.

Another thing I noticed about the two tracks. The spotters’ nest was on top of the infield Control Tower at Motegi. Where at Darlington the nest is on top of Taylor Tower behind the Walker Grandstands. That control tower practically sits right on top the entrance to pit road. You couldn’t find a better position to place a control tower or spotters’ nest in my book. You can see both the superspeedway and the road course with ease from there.

The other major difference between the two is the layout for the viewing grandstands. At Motegi the grandstands are all along the front straightaway going into turn 1 with a break for the tunnel and picking up in turn 2 where they end. At Darlington, the grandstands are on both the front and back straightaway with additional view towers in turns 3 and 4. As I studied the layout map, I spotted one other glaring difference. Motegi has half of the road course running through the infield. There was something about that road course that made me wish that I were still racing Formula One.

“God what I wouldn’t give to race that road course in our old Formula One cars. I can feel the GeForces of those turns and smell the power of the straights.” I must have said that louder than I expected to because Beth giggled. “Uh… did I say something funny?”

“No dear. No matter how much parenthood has changed you. You’ve just showed all of us here that at your core. You’re still a racer’s racer is all.” Mom said as she placed her arm over my shoulders. I blushed clear down to my breasts in embarrassment. “That is another reason why we want you up there in the nest. This track is too much like home for us to take it lightly. Unlike at home this track lacks the SAFER barrier on the outside turn walls that we have at home.”

“There’s a few other things they need to take into account mom.” I said as I sat forward on the stool to get a better look at the map. I trace the track from turn 1 to turn 3 stopping at each tunnel. “There are some very nasty hidden factors for this race. The tunnels are the first. No matter how long we race on Sunday those two points are going to be cooler than the rest of the track. Those spots will be slicker than anywhere else on the track.”

“What are the other ones Bobbie?” Jim asked before anyone else could. He had been studying the map as hard as I was. Then he snapped his fingers. “The wind. That’s the other hidden factor. Right?”

“Oh, shit just like last week. The wind is going to play a major part in how we run this race.” Beth said picking up on what Jim had faster than Sam. “Okay Bobbie when, where, and how do you expect the wind to come into play?”

“It’ll be late in the race as the mountain side cools down. The air will cool then start to fall. The wind will come straight down the valley and right across turns three and four. That is how and when it will come. The where will come into play will be on the straightaways. On the front it’ll push you hard into turn one and cooling off the tunnel even more. Coming off turn two you’ll be driving head on into those same winds. They’ll give you more down force making your car tighter going into turn three. The good thing is you’ll have better control going over that back straightaway tunnel.” I leaned back and crossed my arms in thought. Beth and the others said nothing as I thought about how the track will change throughout the day and especially during the race. “The later it gets in the race the more we’ll have to watch the wear and tear of the tires.”

“Excuse me, but is this the McGuire Racing International briefing?” Asked a young woman in her mid to late twenties from behind me with a light Yorkshire accent. I looked over my shoulder and smiled. She was dressed in all red racing leathers carrying her helmet and gloves. She was about 5’9 or 5’10 with brunette hair and blue eyes. I had seen her around the track for the last few days. I never caught her name though. “I’m Temperance Dickson. I was told to report here by the commissioner.”

“Welcome to MRI Miss Dickson. Grab a cup of tea and please join us at the table.” Mom said without batting an eye. She must have heard me throw that bitch Helen Alexander out of the garage. I held the rest of the briefing until she joined us with her tea. “Before we get you up to speed. Allow me to make introductions.”

“Excuse me, Mrs. McGuire, but the Four Horsemen of MRI need no introduction.” Temperance said with a smile as she held out her hand to me. “Just call me Corky, ladies and gentlemen.”

“Corky? Corky! How in the hell did you get tagged with a nickname like that?” I asked bluntly of the tall brunette.

“My uncle’s Crew Chief gave me the name because of the way that I drive.” Temperance chuckled. “He said that I could turn my car into a cork that would bottleneck any racetrack.”

“I take it that you know how to block?” Mom asked her.

“Yes ma’am. I learned from one of the best in Formula One.” She turned to look me in the eye. “I believe that you know him. Sir Robert McNair.”

“Wow talk about a small world.” Beth said in surprise. “Wait did you say Sir Robert McNair? As in a knight of the realm Sir Robert McNair?”

“Yup sure did. He was Knighted last month after winning his ninetieth race. Tying with Louis Hamilton.” Temperance answered with pride in her uncle. “He told me once that if I ever got the chance to race against the McGuire Furies to watch my ass. Because if I didn’t you would leave me in the dust wondering what the hell just happened.”

“What did he tell about racing for us?” Dad asked her with a wary eye.

“To shut up and do as I’m told. If my spotter tells me to go to the outside, I was to hug the wall. If my spotter says to take the inside, I was to ride the apron. If I was told to block turn my car into a moving brick wall that covered both lanes. If I was told to take the lead. Drive the car like I stole the damned thing and not look back.” Temperance answered honestly. “I don’t have much time behind the wheel of a stockcar, but I’ll do my best.”

Dad turned to me. “Bobbie, I want you talking to Corky the whole time she’s on the track. Kathy you keep your eyes on the whole field and watch for changes in the track conditions. Joey, Specs, you guys can take of your normal spotter duties.”

“Um… excuse me but did I just say something wrong?” Temperance asked me.

“Nope. You just do what I tell you Corky and you’ll be just fine. Come on I’ll give you the rundown on my car while Chief Hailee is sitting up your seat.” I stopped as I was getting up off my stool. “You do have your own seat with you, don’t you?”

“Yes ma’am. All of us replacement drivers have our own seats. The ISA Commission made that one of the requirements before we could be listed as a replacement. We had to pay for them upfront but after the last three races everyone was able to pay off any debts as far as safety equipment goes.” Temperance told me with more honesty than I expected.

“First Corky. My name is Bobbie. I’m just another driver.” I looked down at my left leg and grinned at her. “An out of work driver for right now.”

Temperance got the joke and chuckled at my gallows hummer. “You’re just like Uncle Rob said you would be. Thanks for this chance, Bobbie.”

“Don’t thank me. Thank that bitch Helen Alexander.” I told her smiling.

“Oh god! What did Helen do this time?” Temperance asked with a sigh.

“I take it that you know the young lady rather well?” I asked her.

“We drove Rally and Drift cars for the same team for two years. She is very talented by hind the wheel, but socially. Well Helen is not the most social of people and has a very acidic personality.” Temperance said with a heavy put-upon sigh of resignation. “One of these days her sharp tongue will get her into fight that she cannot back out of.”

“Well, it got her ass slapped silly today.” Kathy grunted.

“Oh god! If she gets into another car, she’ll be gunning for the whole team now.” Temperance moaned. “Helen never lets something like that go.”

“Let her come. We’ll put the bitch into the wall and keep on driving.” I chuckled at the look of surprise on Temperance’s face. “We have an unconventional attitude here at MRI, Temperance. We don’t going looking for a fights, but we don’t back down for them. You try to put one of us into the wall. We’ll take your happy no good ass with us. There is not one driver on this team that hasn’t faced the Devil’s Bounty Hunter at one time or another. If you have problems with this attitude, please let me know now.”

“No Bobbie, I don’t. I understand that way of thinking better than most.” There was a note of sadness in Temperance’s voice that grabbed at my heart. “I wish I had been there when Robert Campbell died. I was driving the Holjes Mototstadion in Sweden at the time.”

“Robert was more than just a friend, wasn’t he?” I asked as I placed my hand on her shoulder. Temperance just nodded her head yes. I could tell she didn’t trust her voice just then. “He was a damned fine man. A real racer’s racer. I respected him as both a competitor and friend.”

“I know that he respected you as well. He said that you and your sister were two of the finest drivers he ever met.” Temperance’s voice was starting to crack. “He always liked racing against the Furies. He said that you brought out the best in all those you raced against.”

“I don’t know about that, Temperance. I just do my best to run clean and honest races. Always have, always will.” I said as we approached my car. “I will tell you this much. You give us your best. You’ll get our best.”

“Are you kidding me? When I get behind the wheel, I’m always professional. You’ll get my best. You can take that to the bank.” Temperance almost snarled.

“Good. Now let me give a rundown on the quirks of my car.” I told her smiling. “The first thing you need to know is she isn’t setup like a normal Stockcar.”

“Let me guess. It’s not even set up like a Formula car either.” Temperance smirked as she looked inside the driver’s window. “If I were to guess I would said that this little beauty is setup closer to what you Yanks call a street racer. If I’m right just nod.”

I busted out laughing as I nodded my head. “She’ll handle a lot like a cross between your Drift and your Rally cars. The major difference will be the way it handles the turns. The rear end won’t slide out from under you like it does for the drift car but won’t be nearly as tight the Rally.”

“Why do I have the feeling that if I forget that for one second this little beauty will eat me alive?” Temperance asked with a chuckle. I just smiled in response to her question. “Damn. Then it’s a bloody good thing that Helen pissed you off. Because you would be down a second car.”

“What do you mean?” I asked her.

“To Helen it is all about the driver. Fuck the setup or type of the car. She would have gone out there and pushed the car to the limits. Not caring how it handled. She wouldn’t have cared where the rest of your team was in the field. When she wrecked, and she would’ve, she’d blamed everyone but herself. I’ve seen it happen more than once.” Temperance sighed.

“Then how come she keeps getting picked up by teams?” I asked her.

“Because when she wins. She wins big and often. I’m talking about back to back wins on some of the nastiest tracks in the world.” Temperance chuckled.

“I get it. Teams in trouble of losing their sponsors hire her on for three or four races. She comes in gets a few wins and the sponsors stick around.” I said. Temperance just point her finger to nose letting me know I was on the money. “Just fucking wonderful. No wonder she has chip on her shoulder and is here as a replacement driver.”

“There’s more to it than that, Bobbie. Helen is looking for a full-time ride. She believes that if she can just show the ISA teams that she can win in any car. Then someone will hire her on permanently.” Temperance told me honestly.

“Then she’s in for verry rude and nasty awakening. Because the only open slot on any team has already been filled. Horn Thomas brought in a full-time replacement for Bain from home.” I chuckled. “They used the driver contract replacement clause. Your countryman Hayden Macdonald flew in on Wednesday.”

“Damn. He would have to have the backup contract for Horn Thomas. I knew that I should have pushed harder for that contract.” Temperance bitched. “Oh well good for Hayden. He deserves it after all the shit he went through.”

“What do you mean Temperance?” I asked her. I didn’t know the whole deal with the replacement drivers or the ones that held the replacement contracts.

“There are ten contracts one for each team that fall under the full-time replacement driver clause. Those contracts are open to any driver that was originally asked to join the ISA. Like the other part timers. I wasn’t offered one of those contracts. We’re paid by the ISA to be on standby incase we’re needed for one or two races.” Temperance explained for me. “Or like in your case for as long as the doctors say that you’re unable to race. Now, if a driver is out for the rest of the season the full-time replacement drivers are offered the contract. To get one of those contracts you can’t race for one of the other teams even as a part time replacement. That means in any sport. There are still nine drivers out there waiting for a full time slot.”

“Are you telling me that there are nine professional drivers just sitting at home waiting for one of us to wipe out like Bain?” I asked in shock.

“As you Yanks say. You bet your ass. Even the bookies are in on the action.” Temperance told me a smile. “I understand that the odds are twenty to one that the next full-time contract goes to Red Star.”

“How do you figure that? It could very well go to MRI.” I smirked. Only to get a full bellied laugh from the woman. “Okay what am I missing?”

“Of all the teams, only MRI doesn’t have a contract replacement driver in the wings. If you did need one, your parents would just put someone from your hometown in the car. There are what five, six, maybe seven, drivers in Darlington with professional tickets now?” Temperance asked with a smile.

“Nine at last count. With another four in line to pick up their tickets by the end of this year.” I told her as I thought about what she said. “You’re right we could have a full-time replacement driver anywhere in the world in twelve to fourteen hours with just one phone call.”

“There is also something else that no other team can do, Bobbie. If MRI wanted too you can field two more full teams. Using nothing more than the talent from your hometown. To compete with MRI the other teams have to have fully trained Stockcar drivers waiting in the wings. Just in case they need a driver to finish off the season.” Temperance ran her hand over the hood of my car. “I don’t know if you know this Bobbie. One of the catches for every team in the ISA was that they have enough drivers to complete the season.”

“I heard something about that clause.” I said and shrugged my shoulders. “Didn’t really pay it much attention. That’s a business thing. My wife and parents handle all those things.”

“You know you’re not your typical cocksure Yank that I’m used to dealing with. You’re smarter than you look.” Temperance answered with a smirk. “I can see why my uncle respects you and your sister so much.”

“You know something I’ve been meaning to ask. Why didn’t you follow your uncle into Formula One? Surely you had plenty of offers.” I asked her.

“Too many offers. But only if I drove the way they wanted me to drive. Nobody was willing to give me a chance to drive my way. Though things are changing just not fast enough for some of us.” Temperance told me honestly before snarling. “The major teams only see women as sex objects in supporting roles for the more acceptable male drivers.”

“I know what you mean Temperance. I don’t know how many sexiest blockheads I have had to deal with over the last three years. Most of whom believe that women have no place in auto racing.” I grumbled.

“Those are the same blockheads that think they’re God’s gift to the sport.” Temperance sneered. “I love putting those types of assholes in their places.”

I had to chuckle at her attitude when it comes to some of our fellow drivers. Not to mention some of the sponsors that still believe a woman’s place in the home. “I’ve found the best way to put them in their place is just to win the only way I know how. By giving it my best out there all the time every time. I leave the bullshit in the pits. Whatever happens out there on the track I’ve listen to Kathy. Trust me she wouldn’t lead you wrong. The gal can read a track faster and better than anyone I know except for maybe her mother. She is one of the best spotters in the game bare none. That is what you’ll need to do on Sunday.”

“I hear you Bobbie.” Temperance said as she looked out at the track. “The Twin ring is no place for personal grudges or issues. It’s an unforgiving beast with a hunger for sheet metal and high-octan engines.”

“Good.” I was already liking her attitude. I could tell that Temperance was wasted as a replacement driver. I needed to talk to mom, dad, and the COWS. Tonight, would be the perfect time. “Okay Temperance, time to climb in and get some track time. Remember what I said about listening to your spotter. I know you don’t know her that well but just trust her.”

“Okay Bobbie I hear you. What I want to know is how do they know the tracks so damned well? What is their secret?” Temperance asked me in confusion.

“Unlike the other spotters there is something that you have to understand about our spotters. All four of them are dedicated worshippers at the Temple for the Dark Goddess of physical fitness. With Coach Hall as their High Priestess leading the way.” I chuckled at the blank look on Temperance’s face. “There is not one track where we’ve race at that they haven’t run between twenty to thirty laps around before the green flag drops on race day. As hard as those four push us in our physical fitness training, they push themselves even harder. They gain a unique perspective of the tracks that other spotters lack.”

“Is that why you and the other drivers place so much confidence in your teams’ spotters? They know the track as well as the drivers.” Temperance asked with a sly smile.

“It’s more than just that Temperance. Coach Hall learned how to call a race before any of us drivers were even born. Kathy, her daughter and my spotter, learned at her side. Joey and Specs learn on one of the meanest tracks in the world, Darlington Speedway. Not to mention all the time those four spend at the other local track, the Darlington Knight’s road course, spotting for other drivers. They train themselves at every chance they get to spot for different drivers. I don’t know how many different drivers that each one has spotted for over the last year and a half.” I couldn’t keep the note of pride that I felt for our spotters out of my voice. “Trust in our spotters Temperance. They’re our greatest secret weapon.”

“Aye lassie, I spent two years racing against the Furies.” The voice was one that I hadn’t heard in eight months and shouldn’t be anywhere the Twin rings. I turn to smile at the owner of the voice. A man who should be in another country getting ready to race on a F1 track. “There’s more than one race we piggybacked their spotters signals to get an edge on the rest of the field.”

“Good afternoon Mac or is that Sir Robert.” I said with a smile as I faced him. “I would favor you with a curtsy but as you can see, I have a minor problem that prevents such niceties.”

“Bobbie the day you go all courtly mannered is the day that I carry an umbrella for those flying pigs.” McNair said with a polite smile as he pointed towards my leg. “How long do the doctors have you sidelined?”

“I’m out until at least Brooklands Superspeedway. Nothing major just a bunch of bruised muscles and pulled tendons.” I explained then gave him a sideways glance. “Shouldn’t you be in Shanghai?”

“Aye, we should be, but a breakout of Fisherman's Aching Feet, Beer Decay, Devil's Stomach, or whatever they’re calling this newest bug put the kibosh on those plans.” McNair bitched bluntly getting a laugh out me and his niece. “With our race canceled me and a few of the other drivers decided to catch the first flight this way. Thought we would drop in an give the newest sport in the field our support.”

“And showing up to root for your niece had nothing to do with it?” I asked smiling up at the big man.

“Now that would be a wonderful thing. Though I thought that Alexander was driving as your replacement.” McNair asked looking over at Temperance.

“Let’s just say that she didn’t fit in with our team dynamic Mac.” I snarked.

“She went and pissed someone off. Who was it?” McNair sighed.

“Bobbie’s spotter, Kathy.” Temperance answered before I could say anything. “This is one time it was best that it happened now.”

“Oh! Why’s that lassie?” McNair asked with a sideways glance at me.

“Because Kathy would have slapped the dog piss out of the bitch during a race for her attitude.” I answered grinning. “That is after she pulled her out of the car on pit road.”

“I take it Helen is being her usual bitch loving self?” McNair smirked.

“You just made the understatement of the year uncle. She still pushing that ‘the driver is all that matters’ attitude of hers.” Temperance explained then sighed. “I think she really believes that this is a solo sport.”

“Sadly, Corky you’re probably not far off the mark. I swear that worthless da’ of hers is to blame for her attitude.” McNair grunted causing me to give him a look of confusion. “Her da’ is Allen Alexander three time Le Mans driver’s grand champion. The man is a right prick.”

“So, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree?” I asked sweetly.

“More like fell off the branch and grabbed the next one down.” Temperance smirked then started to laugh. “If it ever let go in the first place.”

“I would say didn’t let go of the branch. The few times I’ve had the pleasure of being in her company. The lady, and I use that term loosely with her, left a bad taste in my mouth. One so bad it took six fingers of good Scotch to waste it away.” McNair chuckled. “Now I know why you’re down here in the MRI garage area. What can you tell me about Bobbie’s car?”

“Only that her setup is more like an American street racer. Other than that, not jack shit. I haven’t had a chance to take it around the track yet.” Temperance told her uncle bluntly. Only to get a laugh out of McNair. “Why do I have a feeling that even her Formula One cars were setup the same way?”

“Because they were, Corky. Remember what I said about racing against the McGuire Furies. This maybe ah oval track, but they’ll still come at it with the same attitude. I think that even their two teammates set their cars up the same damned way.” McNair explained for his niece kindly. “Of all the teams that you’ll face in this new sport. MRI has at its roots the very soul of NASCAR. They are all to their very core moonshine runners and outlaws.”

Temperance got a thoughtful look on her face as she looked at my car. “Uncle Rob this has been fun, but I need to get to work. If I’m going to have even half a chance of controlling this monster. I need to put some laps under my belt before Qualifying tomorrow.”

“Go ahead and get strapped in Corky. I’ll head for the spotter’s nest. I’ll be on channel one. Chief Hailee will be on channel three.” I told her as I turned to see that Chief Hailee already had her seat secured in the car. I looked over at where Chief Hailee was going over a few things with my pit crew. “Hey Chief Hailee. When did you start changing out Alexander’s seat for Temperance’s seat?”

“We never even got Alexander’s seat in the car when the word came down about the change. I sent Greg after Miss Dickson’s seat the second we got the word.” Chief Hailee yelled back. “The car is pretty much set as close to neutral as I can get it for her. She heading out for a practice run?”

“As soon as you can get the car pushed out to the pits. Why?” I yelled back.

“Give me and the crew ten more minutes. I have to get a few things sorted in the pit box. You heading for the nest?” Chief Hailee asked me as he walked up and shook McNair’s hand. “Nice to see again you Sir. Here to watch your niece play with the new boys and girls on the block?”

“That I am Chief. You’ll be sure to take good care of my favorite niece.” McNair answered as he shook Chief Hailee’s hand.

“I’m your only niece, Uncle Robert.” Temperance bitched. Only to kiss him on the cheek. “But that’s still nice to know you care.”

“I know love. Now you do as Chief Hailee tells you and take care of his baby. You don’t and you’ll be the one pounding out the dents.” McNair said smiling.

“Don’t worry, Mac. I have full confidence in her. Now, let’s get our asses out of the area and let her get her head in the game.” I led the big Englishman out of the garage area. As we made our way to the control tower McNair asked about Kelly and the kids. He understood why she was staying at home with the babies. In this uncertain world were new diseases are popping up out of nowhere a simple cold could turn deadly for babies and small children in no time. COVID-19 had shown the world just how deadly a new disease could be in a short time.

He looked down at my leg. “You got lucky Bobbie. I reviewed the footage of that wreck. It could have been a fuck load worse.”

“Don’t I know it, Mac. I’m just happy that I’m only out of the game until Brooklands. Mori is out at least until Berlin, and Bain is out for good.” I told him as we rode the elevator up to the roof and the spotter’s nest. “I just wish that I could get my hands on those fucking security guards.”

“Then the reports about sabotage were true?” McNair asked me only to get a nod from me. “Damn. It’s bad enough that we put our asses on the line, but to actually have someone fucking around with our cars is beyond ignorant. The fact that it was someone we’re supposed to trust is even more of a blow to the trust we place in the rest of the support people. Have the coppers even said why they did it?”

“This is just between you and me, Robert. It goes nowhere else. Not even my parents know what I’m about to tell you.” McNair nodded his head in understanding and crossed his heart. “Those seven security guards were being paid to fix the outcome of the race by the Yakuza. When they couldn’t get to the drivers they went after the cars. Especially the ones belonging to teams that they wanted out of the race.”

“Bloody hell! No wonder there’s coppers all over the place. Just how bad did they fuck with the cars?” McNair asked with an animalistic snarl.

“Enough that if the police hadn’t arrested those fuckheads before the Crew Chiefs got a hold of them. There would have been seven unmarked graves in the Mitsubishi Speedway infield right now.” I chuckled. “A long with a new legend similar to Jimmy Hoffa and Giants Stadium.”

“Who? And where?” McNair asked with real confusion on his face.

“Jimmy Hoffa was an American labor union leader, the president of the Teamsters Union, and organized crime figurehead from fifty-seven to seventy-one. He disappeared in seventy-five. It’s rumored that he was murdered to keep him from regaining control of the Teamsters by his old enemies in the mob. After that they supposedly they buried his body in one of three places in the old Giants Stadium.” I chuckled. “But like most myths concerning the mob it proved to be nothing more than a bunch of bullshit.”

“Though this is one time that I doubt the myth concerning those security guards being buried in the infield Mitsubishi Speedway would have been bullshit. I know my Crew Chief and Senior Mechanic would have done that at the least. Those two would have chopped their asses into piece and used them for shark bait in the Tokyo bay.” McNair chuckled as he talked about his team. “After they beat the dog shit out of them.”

The elevator doors opened, and we head for the rest of the spotters. I was chuckling right along with McNair as we walked over to join them. As I took the headset and binoculars from Kathy, I heard the engine of my car fire over. Its deep throated rumble reach my ears and brought a smile to my face. It was a smile that grew over the next two hours as Temperance Dickson drove my car as if she had stolen it. She made three pit stops to get her timing down with my pit crew. The first stop was sloppy as a wet dream. The second stop was cleaner, and she knew how to handle the car pulling onto pit road. The third and final stop was dead on the marks. My smile never left my face.

I have to give it to the woman. She listens to advice and gives great feedback. If she was able to sign a full-time contract, I would push mom and dad to sign her in an instant. She was that good behind the wheel of a car. I turned to McNair who was wearing a mile-wide smile.

“I take it you were the one to train her, Mac?” I asked as he nodded his head like a proud poppa. “I got to say that you did one hell of a job Mac. Do you know who her business manager is?”

“She’s a free agent after this year Bobbie. Her contract with the ISA is for this year only. What are you thinking?” He asked me with more than curiosity.

“How good is she behind the wheel of a Formula One car?” Already thinking about the four cars setting back in the garage. I knew that mom and the granddames have been hunting for a pair of drivers to take over those cars. They still wanted to dominate the Formula One circuit.

“Bobbie if you want to put my niece into one of your Formula One cars, I’ll pay her the buyout for her contract out of my own pocket. I can even get you a second driver for that other car. She hasn’t a lot of experience in open-wheel cars, but she knows her way around a road course.” McNair must have picked up on what I was thinking and ran with it.

“Then get your checkbook ready, Mac. Because once Darwin is out of the way she’s heading for Darlington. Along with whoever you can get for Beth’s car.” I told him honestly.

“Are you sure your ma’ and da’ will go for that Bobbie? And what about pit crews? Where you going to get them?” McNair asked in even more confusion.

“Don’t worry about the pit crews. I know for a fact that there are a bunch of guys and gals with passports just waiting for a chance like this to come along. They, maybe young but they’ve all trained their assed off in the hopes of becoming the next MRI Formula One pit crews. They also have more time on their hands than is good for them.” I told him with a chuckle as I thought about the guys and gals of the Blue Devils. “You give them a chance and they’ll do you proud. By the way how much longer do you have on your contract? They’ll be needing a Coordinator for the teams.”

“I’ve been a free agent sense the beginning of the season. I can walk away with no notice, Bobbie. McLaren has known from the start that I’ve been thinking about retiring for a year now. They didn’t renew my contract last year. The only reason why I’ve been driving for them is out of loyalty to my team. McLaren has been dragging their heels in finding my replacement.” McNair told me honestly. “To be honest I’m getting tired of their games.”

“Then escort your niece to the meet and greet tonight. I got a few people for you to meet. I’m sure you’ll get along just fine, Sir Robert McNair, Knight of the realm.” I told him smiling.

-----tbc-----

up
329 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Speedway Demons

Sounds like little Ms. Bobbie will make a great Team Leader when her driving days are over. I have a great feeling that MRI will be in great hands. Great chapter Jess

SDom111

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Who says she'll wait until her racing days are over.

wolfjess7's picture

Why should she wait? Just take a look at Dale Jr., Darrel Waltrip, Tony Steward, Richard Petty. they're just a few professional drivers that have started their own teams while still driving for another organization. Like Temperance pointed out. MRI has a massive pool of talent back home to draw from. Enough to form at least 2 stock car teams or 4 F1 teams.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Speedway Demons

While Space Operaesque (Anime-like too I think) fantasy like the Death Dealers is kinda fun, this series is probably the best work I've seen from our Authoress.

And who says Bobbie leaves........

D. Eden's picture

All of the business to her wife and parents? This is the second time we’ve seen her sip her hands into the business and dish out a handful of gold.

I was wondering just how they would find a permanent driving job for Corkie.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

This is an awesome chapter.

WillowD's picture

I think this is one of the best chapters in this story so far. And this story is one of Wolf Jess's best masterpieces.

I love the new main stream characters you've introduced. Thank you.

Corky's cool!

From her first appearance in the pits, she seemed like a good fit for MRI - and her performance on the track so far suggests that too - so Bobbie promising to propose to Kelly, mum, dad and Mercedes-Benz (either with the COWWs or with Jane if she's taken up her post and allowed to be the MRI liaison) that the F1 team be re-established with Robert and Temperance at the helm, she's likely to soon have a permanent contract with MRI, so we'll likely see more of them after the next three races - especially if our esteemed author carries the tale into the 'off' season,as Bobbie and the rest of MRI get Temperance ready to debut for them in F1. While Bobbie continues to gripe at the length of the ISA races, she and Beth will likely have to stay there for a couple more seasons (injury permitting) to help firmly establish the new discipline before the possibility of a chance to return to F1.

Sidenote: what a name to grow up with, though. It's rather uncommon (depending on which site you research, anywhere between the 540th most popular and 2,500th most popular), and not many ways to shorten it (particularly in childhood - "Tem"?). However, it predates both the Puritans and the Temperance Movement, being first recorded in the 13th century.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Team may have me in it, but not I

Jamie Lee's picture

A team is made up of however many people, who try and work together for a set goal.

Helen had the "I" attitude that was not conducive for team work. Alone with an attitude about the car that would have owners slapping her beyond silly. Because you can't run a race if the car can't be used again. Normal bumps and bruises are park of racing, but not deliberately tearing up a car in order to get back at someone who did you wrong.

There she goes again, getting an idea and starting to run with it before clearing it with the bosses--aka, mom and dad. But her idea has merit, especially with Mac being in charge of the team.

Bobbie is right about the security guards' lives had the police not grabbed them first. Those crew chiefs would not have been kind on them.

Others have feelings too.