Queer -1- Montana

Printer-friendly version
Queer

 

Queer
1. Montana
by Morgan Preece

I'd been called queer practically ever since I started school, but I didn't really find out what it meant until seventh grade. This was back when gay still meant happy to most people, and queer was an insult.

I was small for a boy my age, both in height and frame (though I still managed to be sort of pudgy), and I had a form of epilepsy, controlled by medication, but I had been known to suddenly stop and stare at something, unresponsive, for as much as a minute or two. I never remembered doing this, which made it even weirder for other people.

So until I turned twelve, getting called queer was just kids being callous and unkind to someone who was a bit strange.

But starting intermediate school was different than grade school. Some of the girls had already hit puberty and begun to develop womanly shapes. And some of the boys in eighth and ninth grade had started to change too.

I might have been the smallest kid in the school. The ninth-graders certainly towered over me. And one, in particular, caught my attention. At fourteen, Paul Montana stood nearly a foot taller than me with hair on his arms, a deep voice, a shadow of a skimpy beard on his chin, and muscles.

I stood just inside the entry gate of Orange Heights Intermediate School and stared at him, transfixed by his wavy black hair, his tan complexion, his dark eyes, and his mouth. He had a beautiful mouth, and I didn't think I had ever seen one before.

Tommy Nakamura stopped beside me and leaned sideways to get a look at my face. "You having a fit, Andy?" he asked.

I shook my head and said, "No," to reassure him. Tommy was my best and almost only friend since kindergarten—we were both outsiders and had to watch each other's backs while doing ordinary things like getting a drink from the fountain, using the bathroom, or taking a cafeteria tray up to the wash line.

I moved a step or two, but Paul was still standing there between the cedar bush and the bike rack, talking to a girl I didn't know, and so I couldn't leave. "That's Paul Montana," I said intelligently.

"Uh, huh," agreed Tommy. "Jeez, look how much he's growed since he went to Canyon with us." Canyon Balboa Elementary School.

"Uh, huh," I said. "Think he remembers us?"

Tommy twisted his face into a thinking position and considered. "He popped Donnie Linklater on top the head when the bastitch was gonna toss you in the deep end of the pool that time. Couple other times, he did stuff like that. He's a good guy, but I don't even know if he knew who we were back then, let alone now."

I sighed.

"He's a good guy. What da funk?" Tommy asked.

Paul and the girl were laughing, and I felt a pain, so I sighed again.

"That's Luz Cristoforo, she's a ninth-grader, too," Tommy supplied helpfully.

"Who?" I asked.

"The girl you're staring at. She's pretty."

I shrugged. Paul and Luz moved toward the west end of the campus, and I watched them walk away, Paul's hand briefly on her shoulders. I sighed again.

"We're in Room E10 first period," Tommy said, pointing in the opposite direction.

"I know," I said. But I didn't move until Paul, and the girl turned a corner and were out of sight. Then I fell in beside Tommy and headed toward our home period and first class.

Tommy watched me out of the corner of his eye. His parents were Japanese, and his face was a bit chubby, so his eyes were almost nothing but slits even when he wasn't squinting because he was unhappy about something. And he looked unhappy right now.

"You weren't watching Luzie, were you?" he asked as we entered the building.

"Um," I said, surprised by the question.

He stopped, so I did too, and we turned to face each other. "Andy, are you queer for Paul Montana?" he asked.

"Huh? What does that mean?"

"The way you were looking at him," he muttered. "You looked like…" he couldn't think of how to say it. "You looked like you wanted to kiss him or something."

"I did not," I protested, turning red. I hadn't wanted to kiss Paul—I wanted him to kiss me with that beautiful mouth.

Something must have shown on my face because Tommy looked as if he'd found the rotten peanut from the song. "You are," he accused. "You're queer for Paul Montana. You're gonna get us killed."

I shrugged, starting toward class again. "They've been calling us queer for years," I pointed out.

Tommy took three long strides to catch up. "Yabbut, you don't have to make them right."

"I don't even know what it means, to be queer for someone, what does it mean?"

Tommy snorted. "It means you want to be a girl for him. So he'll like you and maybe kiss you… and stuff." His face turned dark in embarrassment, and he looked around to be sure no one was listening to our conversation.

Be a girl for him? Such a thought had never occurred to me. How would that work? Would I wear a dress for him, put on makeup, curl and dye my hair? I felt heat in my own face and knew I was blushing. The thought of being a girl for Paul… intrigued me. I might like that.

"You even said he was a good guy," I told Tommy. He didn't say anything after that, but he didn't look happy.

When we got to homeroom for our first period in intermediate school, we had to line up and sign in and take our seat number from the sheet. When seats are assigned alphabetically, Tommy and I would often end up near each other—Tommy Nakamura and Andre Prentiss. But this teacher was using a different system, and Tommy and I were on opposite sides of the room.

He looked relieved, glaring at me and making a gesture. One of our private signs: he pointed at me then stroked the top of his pointing finger with the other hand. It meant the same as the one-finger salute.

He was mad at me. If I wanted to be a girl for Paul Montana, would I lose my best friend?

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

my opinion. sorry if there are errors in the text.

the title can come over insulting.

and it does not mean want to be a girl and love a man/boy
. that could be transgender and there is no obligation you have to like boys.

Your title word means a boy likes to love a boy in male form.

and why must be people who crossdress automaticly "gay" i kwnow for sure 4+ people who are straight and married..

Yup!

erin's picture

How many of these things you point out do you think I was unaware of? :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Gay

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Show me a homosexual cowboy and I'll show you a gay caballero.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

:)

erin's picture

That's the spirit. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

They say

Andrea Lena's picture

we are birds of a feather...

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Doubtless

erin's picture

:)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Sorting out "who am I?" is tough for adolescents

laika's picture

And in the days before internet, and when things like homosexuality and gender variance weren't talked about openly it was even tougher. You had your peers to rely on for information and they invariably got things weirdly wrong. Most adults did too, cuz they were still working with misinformation they'd learned as kids. And the "experts" were sometimes even worse, with stuff like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17u01_sWjRE

My parents didn't know any LGBTQ+ people and didn't want to know any, but this didn't stop them from considering themselves experts on the topic. I remember my mom once opined that the reason high fashion was so ugly was because fashion designers were all homos, and those homos all hate women, so they got a sneaky homo thrill from making women look ridiculous. This seemed wrong in so many ways I didn't know where to start correcting her (which I didn't dare anyway because defending queers and possibly drawing attention to their own queerness was something closeted little queens didn't do), First of all haut couture was only ugly to her because she and my dad were blue collar philistines suspicious of all art. And I knew queers didn't hate women because by 13 I'd already figured out I must be one when I realized I was queer for Jimmy South Dakota (I was captivated by his beautiful mouth and that little lock of hair that fell insociently down his forehead), and rather than hate them I seemed to get along with girls just fine. In fact I liked girls so much I wanted to be one! Which since I had no information about there being a difference between gay and trans---and the two were often interchangeable in popular imagination---I thought was a result of my just being really, really, really, really QUEER.

So this cute story's beginning and the dialogue between Tommy + Andre brings back memories---good, bad and downright laughable---of the "good old days" when people were idiots about LGBTQetc. stuff, but it was still a great time to grow up in because the music was rilly bitchin', and Seal Beach was just a short hitchhike away, and parents weren't so paranoically protective (by today's standard mine were downright negligent), so in many ways we were a lot freer than kids today...
~hugs, Veronica
.

(All that was true except for "Jimmy South Dakota". I don't actually remember his name...)

Jimmy South Dakota!

erin's picture

LOL!

I'm so glad someone gets this queer little story. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.