Speedway Demons -chapter 10

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 10
Motegi twin ring Speedway, Japan, Sunday late afternoon

I smiled as I walk through the garage area even though I wasn’t feeling very happy right now. Sure, Friday night’s meet and greet with the sponsors went perfectly. I got more done than I expected to happen. I’ll never forget the looks on the faces of the COWWs when I told them I had a line on a team coordinator for the Formula One team. I don’t know who they were looking for, but it sure as fuck wasn’t Sir Robert McNair.

I think Bertha Benz swallowed her false teeth, and Mercedes Jellinek had to adjust her hearing aid. I laughed to myself the whole night as Robert twisted the COWWs every which way but loose. I all most fell flat on my ass when he told them that he could have two full teams together in two weeks’ time for the next F1 race. I had prepped Robert with the need information before the party in the hotel dining room. I just didn’t expect him to use it the way that he did while negotiating his contract.

We had also spent the day talking about how he could form the teams from the guys back in Darlington. He laughed his ass off when I told that most of the pit crews are Blue Devils and members other of the local car clubs. He really laughed when I told him about the nine drivers with full tickets just waiting for a chance at the big leagues. Needless to Bertha and Mercedes jumped at the chance to hire McNair. They didn’t even argue about his demands.

I had to laugh yesterday when the COWWs cornered Temperance in the garage as she climbed out my car after qualifying. They never gave the poor girl a chance to talk. I had to run interference long enough for Temperance so she could run use the restroom. She must have really had to go after her qualifying run. Not that I blame her. I watched her the enter time around the track. She may have put up the fastest qualifying time, but she had also come close to losing control going over the tunnel at the entrance to turn 3. She did one hell of a job driving my car.

I know that today’s race is going to be a killer. For more than just her. It’s going to challenge every driver out there today. Not only because of the length of the race but the nature of the race itself. I start going over the specs for the track in my head. Length 1.549 mi, 4 turns with a banking of 10°, 3 tunnel overpasses. Race length a just over 500 miles for 323 laps. Number of stages, 4. Each stage 80 laps except for stage 4 with 83 laps. The kick in the head is no one has gotten a handle on the gas mileage yet. I’ve talked with every team and gotten the same answer. I depends on the lap times and speeds. Both of which has been varying from car to car, and driver to driver. Hell, even with our four drivers we gotten four deferent figures.

Between Beth, James, Sam, and Temperance none of them have turned in the same times or fuel consumption. It hasn’t matter when they’ve run their laps nothing has stayed the same. Though Sam and James got more time behind the wheel of a Stock car they still turned in erratic lap times and gas mileage. Beth wasn’t much better. I could understand Temperance turning in shitty lap times and gas mileage numbers. Yet even her numbers were like a damned yo-yo. Great one run, shitty the next. It was that way for all four the drivers.

Then there was the problem with tire ware. Some teams were getting between 40-45 laps before having to pit for a set of tires. A few teams were getting 50-55 laps before having to pit. Then there were the teams that were barely getting 35-40 laps before having to pit. Sadly, we were in the average with 40-45 laps. No matter how I’ve come at the problem I still haven’t figured out a solution. At least not one that will work realistically.

Then there is the other nasty problem that I have no way of controlling. The later it gets in the day the more the wind will pick up. I had stopped and looked at the flags flying from the tower when I first arrived at the track. Back then they were already whipping around pointed towards the south. It wasn’t even 10am when I arrived. Now, they’re almost standing straight out. I had already taken more than one look at the wind gages. They were showing a steady 14 mile an hour wind. The wind is going to play a bigger part in today’s race than I predicted.

The only good thing about the track today was it hadn’t rained last night. It still had a nice layer of rubber build up out there in the turns and down the straightaways. That’ll help a lot with the grip. It also might make the track too tight. That might change as the sun goes down the track really starts to cool down. With the race due to start in two hours before sunset I can see the track conditions going through multiple changes. I sigh as I realize that the drivers and pit crews are going to be chasing the handling of the cars for the whole race.

“What’s on your mind Speedy?” Chief Hailee asks from behind me. “Trying to figure out a winning strategy?”

“Yup. Got it in one Chief. I just can’t get a handle on this track.” I bitched as I looked out at the apex of turn 1 and 2. “Those dammed tunnels are going to be a nonstop fuck you throughout the race.”

“Tell me something I don’t know kid.” Chief Hailee snorted. “What else do you see? I know that you’ve seen something to give us an edge.”

“That’s just it Chief. I have no real feel for the track. I can’t tell you what I don’t know.” I grumbled and looked down at the splint on my leg. “If I could only drive two or three laps.”

“Forget it! You’re lucky your mom isn’t here to hear you even think that crazy idea. Let alone speaking it aloud.” Tommy said as he walked up us. “Beth sent me over here to put a stop to any of your crazy ideas.”

“If anybody would know what I was thinking it would be her.” I grunted then chuckled. “She could be my twin sister instead being two years older with the way she can read my mind at times.”

“Bobbie it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what you’re thinking at times.” Tommy chuckled. “You’re more of a racer than any of our drivers. It has been bugging the crap out of you not being able to drive this track. You’ve had no real way of getting a feel for the track sitting on the sidelines. Normally you’re out there running laps or making test runs long before the race. You have always shown up on race day with a feel for the track and a plan for attacking it. Something most drivers can’t get from watching yet you can. You always do. You just have to get out of your head.”

“That’s just it Tommy I shouldn’t have to drive or run laps to come up with a plan for attack a track, Tommy. I know I’m not like Beth, or the others. I can usually look at a layout map of a track or watch a video of from the driver’s camera and just know how to attack a track. I’ve done all that this time. I don’t know how many times I’ve gone over the practice videos from Beth, James, Sam, and Temperance. This track has almost the same layout as Darlington but from what I’ve seen you can’t attack it the same way.” I sigh once more in true frustration. “It just doesn’t make any sense to me.”

“Roberta McGuire, I have known you sense you were in diapers.” Chief Hailee started in on me softly. “I watched as you first learned to walk, then ride your bike. I was forced to sit back and do nothing while you battled your way through cancer. I watched as you sat beside the grave of one too many friends as they lost their own battles. I saw each of those deaths would take a little more of the light from your eyes. Yet you never gave up on your own fight. You never gave up on your DREAM. Then four years ago you achieved that dream. Two years ago, you kept a promise made to a young girl. You’ve achieved more in your young life than any other person that I know. You only have one flaw kiddo. You believe there is nothing you cannot do behind the wheel of a car. That maybe true to a point but that is not what makes you the best damned driver I’ve seen in all my years in the pits.”

“Then what is it? Because right now I feel like a fifth wheel around here.” I grumbled as I looked back out at the track.

“The answer is simple Bobbie. It is your uncanny ability to see the way a track or road will change minute to minute. Just from watching a video or studying a printed map layout. This is something most drivers never learn. You’ve done it from the first time you strapped into a racer car. You understand racetracks the way I understand a chassis.” Chief Hailee explain for me kindly as he pointed down at the splint. “You’re letting that, and last week’s race get into your head.”

“What are you saying Chief?” I demanded. “That what I’m feeling is all in my head. That I just need to get out of my own way or something?”

“Exactly Bobbie. For the past few days, I’ve seen you second guessing yourself over every decision you’ve made for this team. I know that you’re afraid that you’ll make the wrong choice.” Chief Hailee said as he placed his hand on my shoulder. “Look kiddo, that wreck wasn’t your fault. Nobody ever thought that our cars could or would be sabotaged like that. Trust your instincts. Your parents do. Your sister and the other drivers do. I do. The crews do. Even the other teams listening in on our radio chatter do.”

“Wait! What? Other teams are listening in on our radio chatter? How long has this been going on? And why haven’t we done something about it?” I demanded.

“Bobbie, we’ve known about that the other teams have been eavesdropping on our radio chatter for almost two years now.” Tommy chuckled. “Not that it has done them any good. None of them can do what you kids can.”

“Not that we haven’t tried, ya’ buggers.” I turned to see McNair standing there with a mile-wide grin. “Like I told Corky on Friday. My Crew Chiefs and spotters went out of their way to try and piggyback off your calls. Not your sister’s calls but yours.”

“Why my radio and not my sister’s?” I asked the big Englishman. “Oh, how did you get down here anyway? They’re restricting access to team personnel only.”

“I just showed them my MRI Formula One credentials.” McNair chuckled as he held up the laminated pit and garage team pass. “It’s nice to be working for a proper team again. Even if I have to catch the red eye flight back to the States after the race. Any suggestions for a decent hotel in Darlington?”

“Forget staying at a hotel Mac. Just head for Slow Jack’s Garage. Tell them that you’re there on MRI business and you need a place to stay.” Tommy told him with a grin. “Somebody will get you a bed and breakfast faster than the roadrunner escaping Willie E. Coyote in a Saturday morning cartoon.”

“If not faster if they realize who you are and why you’re there.” I chuckled. “Then again more that is most likely going to happen anyway. Most of the Blue Devils are diehard Formula One fans.”

“Don’t forget Joey’s fiancée Bobbie. Stephany is still running the family garage along with the Darlington Knights road track and Blue Devils. If she hears Mac here is in her garage and looking for pit crews. She’ll put him up at her own place.” Chief Hailee put in with his own grin.

“Damn. Just how many potential pit crews am I looking at?” McNair asked.

“There’s four fulltime car clubs in Darlington right now Mac. Each club with between twenty to thirty standing members. That doesn’t count the Blue Devils and the rest of the Knights. Though admittedly most of the Knights are now part of our pit crews and team mechanics. There isn’t one member of those car clubs that can’t turn a wrench on their own cars. Sure, some of them are girls but just look at how well that has worked out for MRI.” I answered. “Trust me when I say that if you want the best people on the crews, you’ll need to hold tryouts for the pit crews Mac.”

“Not that you’ll find a bad one in the batch Mac. It’s just that those boys and girls have been training themselves in the hopes of becoming a member of our pit crews.” Chief Hailee grunted then chuckled. “The only ones that aren’t training for the pit crews are the ones busting their asses to become the next Bobbie or Beth McGuire.”

“Bloody hell! Just how big is that talent pool I can draw on Bobbie?” McNair asked me realizing that for the first time how big of a major asset he had to draw on in the car clubs back in Darlington.

“If we include the other five smaller clubs, nonaffiliated drivers and independent mechanics close to three-hundred people deep, sir.” Joey said as he walked up to join us. “Though I wouldn’t place too much stock in that number. Some of the nonaffiliates just hit the track to have a good time and race for fun on the weekends. For the real diehards only look at the clubs. Those are the ones that will give it their all for you.”

“Other than these Blue Devils Joseph. Who should I be looking at?” McNair asked my little brother with his head cocked to the side.

“For starters, the Blue Devils are good for your over the wall pit crews. Up next are the guys over in the Midnight Ridge Runners they’re your best choice for your all-around mechanics. The Beach Bums will be the best for your go to crew for scroungers. You need parts they can find them on short notice or fabricate them out of thin air. For all-round utility crew members your best choice is going to be the Firebirds. Those gals maybe the smallest club but they have the best universal skillset.” Joey told McNair with an answering grin that will earned. He was proud of Stephany and all she has accomplished.

“You wouldn’t mind me using your lovely fiancée as a sounding board and reference, Joseph?” McNair asked my little brother with a sly grin. “From the sounds of things your Stephany has her thumb on the pulse of the clubs.”

“She has more than her finger on the pulse, Mac. Steph is the heartbeat of those clubs. If not for her most of those clubs would have never formed.” Chief Hailee butted in. “Talk to her and listen to what she has to say. Trust me she won’t steer you wrong.”

“Then that’s what I’ll do. I only have one question. If she is so good at organizing crews. Why aren’t you using her?” McNair asked us.

“Simple. She runs her family’s garage back home while her dad and uncle travel the world with two of our teams.” I chuckled.

“Bloody hell! What does she have for blood? Mobil One Ten-W-thirty?” McNair asked jokingly as he gave Joey a quirky smile.

Only to have Joey grin even wider. “Nope. She bleeds only the best. Royal Purple’s twenty-W-fifty XPR Synthetic Racing Oil.”

Joey got us all laughing with that wise crack. He always was a major smartass. Though he never took things too far. Yet he always has had a great sense of time. Always knowing exactly when to throw out a true zinger. He then turned deadly serious as he gave me the look. You know the one that says it is time to get your shit together.

“Bobbie, I know that you want to be out there on the track behind the wheel of your car. You won’t be you if you didn’t. That doesn’t mean you don’t know how to help out the teams from the spotters’ nest. You know the fucking track. You don’t need to drive or run laps around it. You never have.” He pulled me into a hug then whispered in my ear. “I know what you’re thinking. That you have to do that to get a feel for the track, but you don’t. You can do this Bobbie. Don’t let the crash hold you back.”

I want to punch the shit head, but I know he’s right. Last week’s wreck has been haunting me in my dreams. I should say my nightmares. How Joey always knew when something is bugging me, I’ll never know. Just that he always has. Even back when I was dealing with the cancer and all those treatments. He has also been the only one who always knows what to say to get me out of my own headspace and back into the game of life. Only this time his soft-spoken words of encouragement brought a much-needed clarity to my thoughts and with that clarity a sudden burst of insight.

“Chief I know this is going to sound crazy but drop the sway bars on all the cars a half turn. Also stick a half wedge in the frontend of Sam and Beth’s cars. Leave Corky and Jim’s frontends alone. Drop two pounds of pressure on all four tires for Corky and Beth. Three pounds in Jim and Sam’s tires. Shift the counterweights in Corky’s car to the inside by six inches. Leave Jim and Beth’s counterweights where they are. For Sam shift the weights to the outside by three inches.” I said as I stepped back from Joey’s hug.

“Those are a lot of changes Bobbie.” Chief Hailee looked down at his pocket watch. “It’ll be close, but we’ll get them done before inspection.”

As Tommy and Chief Hailee walked off shouting orders to the pit crews Joey just chuckled. While McNair gave me a knowing smile before wisecracking. “She’s bbbaaaccckkk! God help the poor slobs that have to face these four teams now. The Demon Queen of Speed has shown her fangs. Even from a chair on the sideline she is still a threat to be reconned with.”

“You know something sis. I really wish the docs had given you a cast instead of a splint. That way I could have written that out somewhere where the rest of the drivers could see it.” Joey chuckled. I just blew him a raspberry.

“Come on let’s get you up to the nest.” McNair told me with a chuckle.

“That’ll have to wait, Mac. I still have to do the fan meet and greet.” I chuckled and looked down at the splint once more. “Even if I’m not racing, I still have to show up for the face to face with them.”

“Bobbie you know that you can skip the meet and greet because of your injury. The fans will understand that kind of reason.” McNair told me kindly. I could tell by the way he was looking at my leg he had heard how bad my leg injuries really are. “I heard that you’re supposed to keep the leg elevated.”

“Don’t worry Mac. I’ll be parking my ass on the wall to pit road next to the car. I plan on letting the fans come to me. I think that Danny has a special set of tires on a hand truck just for that reason.” I joked.

“You mean those two tires with the flat spots.” McNair asked pointing towards the forementioned tires and hand truck. “I thought they were there to remind your sister and the other drivers to not waste tires by spinning out in the pit boxes. After all tires are expensive.”

I snickered and just shook my head. “Then it’s a damned good thing that we have a heavily padded budget for tires. Speaking of tires Mac. What’s your take on how the tire ware will come into play?”

“It will vary through the day, Bobbie.” McNair said after a few minutes of thought. “Sadly, we have no way of judging that ware as the race runs.”

“Damn. I was hoping that you had some good news for me.” I grumbled. “I hate to say it but that is the same take on it that I came up with. The real bitch is that the grip on our tires is going to go before we hit the fuel window most likely. No matter how we adjust for the changing track conditions.”

“You’re probably right Bobbie.” McNair grunted with authority. “You’re not the only one to study Temperance’s practice videos. I went over them myself last night after diner with my niece. I also talked with Chiefs Hailee, Marks, and the Stones. We all spotted the same tire ware problem. We also came to the same conclusion. The tire window is going to be much smaller during the race. As is the fuel window thanks to the increased winds.”

“Mac the winds aren’t going to fuel mileage as much as tire ware. The extract downforce is really going to eat up the tires.” I countered.

“The downforce isn’t going to increase tire ware that much Bobbie, but it will affect the mileage.” McNair countered. “The headwind is going to slam into the cars on that back straightaway like a solid wall.”

“What about the tunnel overpasses? How do you think it will play there? We already know that those areas are going to run cooler than the rest of the track.” I pointed then grinned. “We found out that nasty tidbit of information during the practice runs on Friday.”

“The tunnel overpass that is going to be the biggest snake in the grass is the apex tunnel for turns one and two. That is in directly in line with the winds. The second our people hit those turns all bets are off. Even with the rubber buildup that one patch of track is going to be slicker than cat shit on waxed vinyl flooring. Mark my words that is where the big one will come for our racers today Bobbie.” I give McNair a hard look and realize he’s right. He may not be a Stockcar driver but knows the sport and the danger signs as sure as any seasoned Stockcar driver alive.

“You’re right Robert.” My use of his first name had the big Englishman looking me dead in the eyes. “And there’s not one fucking thing we can do to stop it from happening. It’s going to be a question of when and not if again. I really hate these overseas tracks. Too damned many unknowns.”

“Nothing you haven’t faced before, Bobbie. In your first year of Formula One you and your sister faced the same challenges. This should be nothing new.” McNair pointed out then grin. “If I remember right. You two girls handed us vets our assed in more than one race. You more than earned your right to race on the world’s stage. Even this one.”

“Thanks Mac. How did you know I’ve been having second thoughts about the ISA?” I asked him honestly.

“Who won’t be having second thoughts after the wreck you survived last week. I watched that race Bobbie. Hell, I’ve watched every ISA race. The boys and gals over in Formula One may not believe that Stockcar racing is real racing but they don’t drive at one-ninety plus for three to four hours if not longer every time they race. The speeds at which Stockcars run makes your sport deadly because of its very nature.” McNair pointed towards the track. “The Twin Rings hold no secrets for you Roberta McGuire. You’ll be back here next year. When that times comes, you’ll show the world what you can do here. For now, let’s get you out on pit road for the fan meet and greet. I’m sure they’re waiting on your pretty face. I’ll bring your tires.”

I laughed as McNair grabbed the hand truck with the two worn tires and escorted me out to pit road wall. We made good time getting over to where my car would sit on pit road. I’m still surprised that Temperance was able to nail down the pole position. As I plopped my ass down on the pit road safety wall McNair wheeled my tires in front of me. I got the hint and propped up my leg. I spent the next few hours signing autographs for the fans. Even McNair got to sign a few for the fans. An hour before the race was to start Danny and the guys started pushing our cars out of the garage area.

Beth’s car was the first one out and placed in the 5th pole position. Sam’s came next but he was back in the 17th pole position. James was next out and right next to Sam’s car in the 18th pole position. My car and Temperance’s for this race was the last one out to pit road. Temperance was right behind the car smiling. When she got to pit road, she walked right up to me and hugged me. “Thanks for the changes to the car Bobbie. Do you think they’ll make a deference out there on the track?”

“I hope so, Corky. I really do. If you need a change during the race let me know. The key to you staying out front is going to be communication.” I told her bluntly. “If the car doesn’t feel right tell us.”

“Listen to her Corky. These cars will bite you in the ass if you don’t listen to them. They’re not like the drift and rally cars you’re used to.” McNair warned his niece. “Remember these cars are twice as wide, weight twice what you’re used to, and have two times the horsepower. In short kiddo twice the car you’re used to all the way around.”

“Trust me Uncle Bob. I know already. I learned that the first time I got behind the wheel of this bad boy on Friday. I thought I had it all figured out until yesterday’s qualifying run. I still don’t know how I turned in the fastest lap time. The way my ass end was sliding around going over that turn three tunnel I thought I was going to eat the outer wall.” Temperance shuttered as she thought about her qualifying run yesterday.

“Just what happened out there yesterday, Temperance?” McNair asked quietly.

“I don’t really know, Uncle Bob. One minute I’m turning in a pole winning lap time and the car is running fantastic. No problems with handling. The next thing I know I’m on the back straightaway slowing down to come in off the track. The second I cross that tunnel the ass end jumps out on me. Like someone hit it with a two-ton sledgehammer. Then I was fighting to keep the car off the wall. It just doesn’t make sense. I should have had better control going over that spot at the slower speeds.” Temperance bitched.

There was something she said that tripped a warning bell in my head. “Temperance you said that you were slowing down when you crossed over the tunnel. Where you using the brakes?”

“What’re you thinking Bobbie?” McNair asked as he saw where I was going with my question. “You thinking that area is a snake waiting to strike when using the brakes? It sounds like it to me.”

“Sounds that way to me Mac. Only there might be more to it. What I’m thinking is that area has a certain speed zone where handling goes out the door.” I turned to Temperance. “Corky about what speed were you going when the rear end jumped out on you?”

“Around one-ten, one-fifteen or so. No faster than one-twenty. I know that for a fact. Why?” She asked me.

“That’s it.” I said as I snapped my fingers. “That tunnel overpass has a speed zone for control. You cross over it between one-hundred and one-twenty you better have your head in the game. Below one-hundred or over one-twenty you’re in control. You cross the tunnel inside that speed zone you end up in trouble.’ I said with a nasty grin. “THAT is what has been bugging me about this track sense I woke up this morning. Mac do you think you can spread the word to our other drivers without tipping off the rest of the teams?”

“I’ll take care if it Bobbie. You and Uncle Bob need to head for the spotters’ nest.” Temperance told me and walked down the line talking with the other drivers as she went. As if it was just another day at the office for her. I watcher stop at Beth’s car hold a short conversation then move onto towards Sam and James. Beth turned to me and gave me a small salute.

“Time for us to head upstairs Mac. I’ve done enough damage for the time being.” I looked up at McNair. “This time you’ll be on the other headset. I know that I can use all the help I can get. The regular spotters are going to be too busy dealing with their regular duties to help me with keeping an eye on the track conditions and the weather.”

“You thinking that the weather is going to change on us Bobbie?” McNair asked as he helped me stand. Then grabbed the hand truck he wisecracked. “You think I need to take these upstairs with us?”

“Nope. We already set Bobbie up with a swivel chair and makeshift leg prop.” Danny said walking up to take the hand truck from McNair. “I’ll take that off your hands sir. By the way Bobbie. All those change orders you gave. They’re really going to change the handling on the cars. Are you sure that they’re going to give our drivers the edge?”

“In more ways than one Danny.” I gave him an evil grin. “I’ll let you in on a little secret. Temperance, and Beth are going to bitch for the first stage about running slower than yesterday. Sam and Jim are going to ask where all the new power came from all of a sudden. Just let them bitch and wonder. Whatever changes they ask for during the first stage ignore. Change nothing. Do you understand? No changes for stage one.”

“Sure, Bobbie I can do that. You want me to pass the word to the rest of the pit crews?” He asked with a shit eating grin. Danny always loved a good prank. Especially one he can play on Sam and Jim.

“Pass the word, Danny. Remember what I said about making changes to the cars for the first stage.” I told him with a nasty grin.

“Sure Bobbie. I can do that, but you know that the Chiefs are going to need a damned good reason for ignoring the drivers.” Danny said as he pushed the hand truck and tires back to the inner pit wall.

“Look, Danny the track is going to undergo a massive change around lap one-oh-five or so. When it comes. Beth, Sam, Jim, and Temperance are going to be sitting in the seats of four rocket propelled sleds.” At Danny’s look of confusion, I sighed. “When they restart for stage two those four are going to be doing everything in their power to keep control of four starving speed demons straight out of Hell looking for their first meals.”

“Okay what the fuck are you talking about Bobbie? I’m just as confused as your jack man.” McNair growled.

“Mac remember when I told you that I couldn’t get a real read on the track?” He nodded his head to my question. “Will, I gave out all those change orders on nothing more than gut instinct. Mostly to counteract the winds coming down off the mountain. I know that the winds are going to be a major player in the race, but I was still missing a piece of the puzzle. I have that piece now. It’s going to be those tunnels and the track surface. This race is going to come down to who can keep their cool the longest and race the track not the field. The track is going to cool off faster than a steer in a butcher shop freezer. As that happens the track is going to tight up.”

“You gave orders to loosen the cars up now so our drivers will be ready for the change later in the race. Sneaky and nasty.” McNair chuckled. “I must say. I approve of your tactics.”

“Sir Robert, there is one thing that you have to give Bobbie. When it comes to racing her mind works on many a twisted levels.” Danny chuckled as we stopped on the other side of the pit wall. “Well this is where I leave you. Have fun Bobbie and try to stay in your seat.”

I just chuckled as McNair escorted me to the tower. As we rode the elevator to the spotters’ nest, we went over any possible last-minute changes we could make to my plan. I know that we’re flying by the seat of our pants with this plan of mine. The problem is it is the only plan I could come up with. Even McNair agreed with me on the plan. Now all we had to do was hope that the track does exactly what I hoped it would.

Coach Hall, Kathy, David, and Joey were already at their spots in the nest when we arrived. They greeted McNair as an old friend instead of the one-time competitor that he was. When Coach Hall heard that McNair was there to help spot for the teams, she sent Kathy down to our spare parts trailer for an extra headset with radio and field glasses. As always Coach Hall had things well organized. She also wouldn’t let me spent more than a few minutes on my feet glade handing with the other team spotters.

I had only been seat for more than a few minutes than the Japanese national anthem played. This was quickly followed by a Buddhist or Shinto monk praying over the cars and drivers for their safety. I’m not sure which. I may have been raised in a Catholic family, but I haven’t much faith in the man upstairs for a few years now. I kind of lost it laying in a Children’s hospital bed. It’s really hard to believe in a kind and loving higher power when you see kids your own age dying in the beds next to you.

When the announcer for the race started speaking, I was happier than a pig in slop to hear an English translation over my headset. “Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the Motegi twin ring for the first ever running of the Funimation Five-hundred. Drivers! Start! Your! Engines!”

The sounds of 40 V-8 high performance engines firing over, reached my ears and filled my heart with excitement. Even on the sidelines the rumbling sounds of those engines got my blood pumping. When the smell of exhaust reached my nose, I took an involuntary deep breath. I flipped over to our all hands channel and waited as the cars rolled off pit road onto the track. For the next five minutes I did and said nothing as the field lined up for the start of the race. When the pace car finally dropped down off the track on turn 4, I knew that the field would make one more lap. Just as I figured the field came around turn 3 and the flagman held up the green flag. They exited turn 4 and the man dropped the flag signaling the start of the race.

I keyed my mike. “Listen up people. Beth, Corky, let the pack go. Drop back to Sam and Jim. Jim, Sam, drop the hammer and catch up.”

“DAMN IT! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU HAVE THEM DO TO MY CAR BOBBIE?” Beth screamed over the radio. “Where did all my power go?”

“What do mean? I’m having to keep my foot out of the throttle.” Sam yelled.

“I’m with Sam on this one Beth. I got more power than I know what to do with.” James seconded Sam over the radio.

“Everyone just chill out!” I ordered. The only one not saying anything was Temperance. For some reason I think she is following her uncle’s orders. To shut up and just drive. “Listen up. For the first stage you’ll be dropping back in the pack. Don’t worry it’s all part of the plan. Trust me.”

“Shut up and drive, people!” McNair snapped over his own radio. “You’re professionals! Now act like it.” I wasn’t surprised when all four of our drivers answered back with a simple ‘yes, sir’.

I smiled as the old Englishman asserted his authority. For the next 35 laps everything went just as I expected. The pack broke down into double file with all four of our cars running in the middle of the pack nose to tail. I smiled as on lap 42 the lead cars started making green flag pit stops for tires and fuel. I brought our cars in on lap 49 for fresh tires and fuel. I smiled as all four pit crews turned in record breaking pit stop times. I mean nobody expects 14.3 second pit spots outside of NASCAR. Yet these are the times our pit crews are cranking out.

For the next 29 laps everything stayed green. I was a little surprised by this. That was a total of 78 laps without a yellow flag. The rest of the drivers must have really been stepping up their game or they’re beginning to understand the concept of pack racing better with each lap. It’s most likely the latter. After all these are professional drivers from every field of motorsports. I would be surprised if they didn’t pick up on the skills for racing in a pack as fast as they were. All that changed on lap 79 when Seth Fisher for Bisbee Snider spun out on the exit of turn 2. The only good thing was he didn’t take anyone else with him. The yellow flag came out the field ended stage 1 under the yellow flag. On lap 81 everyone came in for four fresh tires and fuel.

Our pit crews turned in the fastest pit times of all the crews. I double checked my stopwatch against McNair’s and he against mine. I still couldn’t believe that our crews took an average of 14.172 seconds to change four tires and two cans of fuel. I chuckled as all four of our cars were the first ones off pit road. Beth was in the lead, with James, Sam and finally Temperance right behind her. They lined up for the restart with Beth in first on the outside, James in second on the inside. Sam was behind James on the inside in third with Temperance in fourth on the outside. When the green flag dropped on lap 85, they took off and left the pack behind.

I grinned as the MRI cars pulled away from the pack. Once again, we were showing the rest of the ISA why we are the best. By lap 95 they were within 8 car lengths of the last cars. Then on lap 100 everything start to change. It happened sooner than I expected but the track underwent the change that I predicted. By lap 120 our cars were weaving their way around the slower cars on the track. I pulled them on lap 130 for four fresh tires and two cans of fuel. I chuckled as the rest of the field were coming in right behind them over the next 4 laps. By lap 138 the field had cycled through pit road for fresh tires and fuel. I was surprised that stage 2 stayed green.

“Bobbie, we’ve gone a long time under green flag conditions.” McNair said from behind me. “Shouldn’t there have been at least two or three yellow flags during this last stage?”

“My thinking as well, Mac. I got a nasty feeling this last stage is going to be full of surprises.” I said without taking my eyes off the restart. “Though I think that we’re going to have a bigger problem on our hands than cautions.”

“What’re you seeing that I’m not Bobbie?” McNair asked quickly.

“Temperance isn’t pushing her car, Mac. For some reason Mac, I think she’s scared.” I said truthfully. Only to hear a chuckle from behind me. “Okay Mac, what am I missing here?”

“Corky is doing what she does best, Bobbie.” McNair answered holding back his laughter. “Remember she can turn her car into the biggest roadblock there is on any track she’s racing on. She’s not afraid to push the car Bobbie. Though I doubt she realizes that she is even blocking for her teammates.”

I chuckled as what I was seeing out of Temperance’s driving finally clicked. Temperance was living up to her nicknames of Corky. “Any chance of getting her to go for the win Mac?”

“Only if Beth, and the others drop out of the race. I hate to say this but her time with Nelson and Red Horse has come back to haunt her. She’s blocking out of habit for her teammates.” McNair sighed as he looked through his field-glasses. “See she is already setting herself up to block for the others. Once the green flag drops, she’ll slide into the middle of the track. While Beth, James, and Sam drive off into the sunset.”

I started to chuckle as I spotted something out of the ordinary. “Oh, doubt that Mac. Look how tight she’s in on James’ rear bumper.”

“Trust me Bobbie. She’s not lining herself up for the win but to block.” McNair chuckled. “I’ve seen her pull this more than once.”

The second they went back to racing on lap 163 Temperance did exactly what McNair said she would. I swear that gal made her car twice a wide in less than half the front straightaway. She bottlenecked the track faster than I could have done on my best day. While Beth and the guys took off. Once the others had at 5 car gap Temperance began to race for position. They track stayed green until lap 187 when Ben Baldwin blew his right rear tire going into turn 3. I held my breath as he rode the outside wall of turn 3 and 4. I was expecting him come down off the outer wall into traffic but held it up there all the way through the turns. The rest of the field all dropped down to the inside giving him room to ride out the flat against the wall.

“Son of a bitch. They’re finally catching on.” Kathy called out to me. “Looks like we got ourselves a real racing league now, Bobbie.”

“I would say so Kathy.” I called back as I watched the race of the field was gathered up by the pace car. The professionalism being shown by the drivers made me think that maybe I didn’t belong out there with them. I mean every time I raced against these people there has been a major wreck. “They’re doing better without me out there. That’s for sure.”

“I know what you’re thinking Bobbie. The only reason they’re doing this good is because they’ve gotten over the hump in the learning curve.” I looked up at McNair. “I’ve been there myself lassie. Every few years there was a new crop of rookies. Every few years the accidents would climb for a few races. Then all of a sudden, the accidents would drop back to normal rates. That is what’s happening here. Right before our every eyes. The Stockcar rookies are figuring out how to race again. By the time you race against them in Brooklands Bobbie you’ll face a whole new beast.”

“For some reason Mac. I believe that you’re underestimating the change between now and Brooklands. They have two more races between now and then to gain an even better understanding in pack racing.” I sighed as I looked out at the track and just watched the race for a few laps. “Come Brooklands I won’t be facing the same drivers that I have been. I’ll be facing a pack of demon riding hell raisers. All set on taking down the McGuire Four Horsemen.”

-----tbc-----

up
316 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, Bobbie is your version of

dawnfyre's picture

So, Bobbie is your version of Takami Fujiwara huh. ( yup, I have the 8 dvd collectors edition )


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

While Takami is part of the inspiration

wolfjess7's picture

While Takami is part of the inspiration for Bobbie he is not the only one. In truth I grabbed inspiration from more than one animie Driver. Mark Go-go better known as Speed Racer, Lisa and Lorna from eX-D, plus a few others.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

more good stuff

so far the race is going well but I suspect the end will be tricky

DogSig.png

Wow wee gosh gee willickers!

Just what the hell has this story got to do with LGBT? I see that 55 people have given it a kudo so far. I won't be number 56. The previous story Racing Angels was far more entertaining and enjoyable to read.

Roberta McGuire herself not

Beoca's picture

Roberta McGuire herself not count as a satisfactory answer?

Hmmm

Sammi's picture

Bobbie in this story is living life as a female who married her High School sweetheart a girl by the name of Kelly, and is a racing driver traditionally a male dominated arena, not LGBT enough

Bobbie has to live with not being out-ed


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Personally, I think the important thing here.......

D. Eden's picture

Is the quality of the writing, and not whether the story contains a new person in transition with every new chapter. The main character is male, having to live as female due to circumstances beyond her control. She is also married to another woman, who is raising their children.

So let’s see - cross dressing? Check. Transgender? Check. Lesbian relationship? Check.

Sounds pretty well qualified as LGBT to me - plus it’s a goddamned good story.

Perhaps you should find some forced fem story somewhere - that sounds more to your liking.

As for me, I am very much enjoying reading this!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Changes afoot!

Bobbie's certainly been keepng herself busy during her enforced convalescence - working with McNair to get a couple of new Merc F1 teams up and running (with more than a little help from her hometown crew), working out how the track changes over time (and how to tweak the cars to suit), not to mention still doing the fan meet 'n' greet.

Meanwhile, the other teams are starting to get the hang of this new style of racing - 2.5 stages have completed without any big pileups and only two single car crashes. Of course, they've still got over a hundred laps left, so anything can happen between now and then (but hopefully no-one else from MRI crashing out, let alone sustaining serious car damage or personal injury)...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Speedy

Is showing her true colors as a true racer. It was said more than once and by more drivers who won championships that no one could see or feel the wind at the super speedways as Dale Earnhardt could. I have no idea who these anime drivers you are talking about except speed racer but the way you have described her ability to see a race track, see the surface of the track how the different winds come across the track sounds like what were said about Earnhardt, David Pearson and the young Davey Allison. Great story Jess

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Not chained down

Jamie Lee's picture

Bobbie's rabid desire to race, even healing from her injuries, it's a wonder someone, mom, hasn't chained her to something solid to keep her grounded until she heals. Guess mom and Coach are the two chains that keep her grounded.

That wreck is going to haunt Bobbie when she can get back to racing. It will take everyone on the team to help talk her through the fear she'll harbor in the back of her mind. Naturally she'll deny having any fear once she's cleared to race, but she won't be able to BS Beth.

Strange there wasn't a big one during the race; there's usually one, even with experienced drivers. Maybe others figured out the track as MRI did.

Others have feelings too.

I'm surprised Bobbie didn't

I'm surprised Bobbie didn't get on the radio and tell Temperance that her car was supposed to be in the winners circle so quit pussy footing around and get it to the front before she got mad.

author pounds head on desk

wolfjess7's picture

Um... ladies and gentleman. the race is only half over. Please stay tune for the next thrilling chapter in the Adventures of Bobbie McGuire Stockcar Racer.

Same Speedie Channel!
Same Speedie Time!

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf