Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 26

Printer-friendly version

Author's note: There is a very pivotal event that will be occurring soon (hopefully in the next few chapters) that has the potential to change a lot of things. I am (kind of) giving you (my readers) a chance to influence how the entire story plays out. Please comment or send me a private message to cast your vote. Will this event turn Holly dark, very dark, or will she remain grey? Originally, this was going to be a dark fic, but things are shaping out very differently than my original ideas. I'm happy either way it goes, so please vote.

It didn't take long for word of the 'attack' to spread like wildfire. Of course there were no hard feelings on my account, I actually thought it was very well deserved on my part, and I also had fun. If I'm upset about it at all, I'm more upset with myself for  walking straight into a trap, or that Hermione was involved in the planning and I never saw through her cunning side. Regardless of my feelings, I found myself in the headmaster's office for a second time, twice in the same day. Of course professors Snape and McGonagall were there as well and they were bickering back and forth about justice, revenge, innocent pranks, bullying, and I'm sure plenty of other topics but I tuned out most of it. 

When I finally got a chance to speak I explained that it honestly was a friendly prank and I bore no ill will or hard feelings and that I, at no time, felt threatened or to be in danger. I even applauded Fred, George, and Hermione on their cunning, which was a mistake on my part because despite my protests all three of them were assigned five days of detention as 'being the architects of the prank' and all of the others involved received two days. After one last check to make sure I was alright after the 'attack' and assuring the three professors that I was fine and wasn't planning retaliation I was dismissed. 

Susan was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs to the headmaster's office. "Come on, let's go get dinner." She said, grabbing my hand and interlocking her fingers in mine. I filled her in on everything that was said on our way.

The entirety of Slytherin house was already at the table by the time I got there, and I was met with a standing applause from them, and a few interspersed Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. I gave a little curtsey and found my seat. Several of my housemates wanted to get even but I told them that what happened was the Gryffindors getting even with me, and that I actually enjoyed it. I'm almost certain that I squashed any thoughts of retribution, but I did see Draco talking quietly to Blaise and it seemed like their eyes kept darting over to the Gryffindor table. I'll have to keep an eye on them it seems.

With the end of the first day in April, classes resumed. I was right in studying the missed material for potions class, as Professor Snape had us jump straight into brewing, instead of going over the ingredients and learning about the methodology behind the potion first. Several groups received failing marks because they neglected to study. The other professors were more understanding, and at least went over the material we were supposed to have had. 

Overall, things pretty much went back to normal. The weekend came and went just like normal, except for an article about me in Sunday's issue of The Daily Prophet by the ever annoying Rita Skeeter. The article was much like the last one, saying that I had attacked several students with a violent and malicious prank that left many of them seriously harmed. I am curious as to where she gets her information from because she definitely needs a more reliable source. 

With Easter break only a week away, talk around the castle turned to that, primarily where people were going and plans to hit the shops. I for one am itching to hit the stores. I still have a large amount of money that's burning a whole in my pocket, so to speak, and I'm tired of browsing through catalogues. The owls seemed to be working overtime delivering all of the letters being sent back and forth as details were worked out. It seems that a lot more student's will be staying at Hogwarts compared to Christmas break.

Classes seemed to drag on, with reviews and tests in each of them. And of course they all had to give us a pile of work to do over the break, but soon enough we were back aboard the Hogwarts Express and heading to London. There weren't nearly as many students heading home as there were during Christmas break so there were several empty compartments, but that didn't mean I had any more space than normal, well I should have, but Susan decided to sprawl out on the bench with her head in my lap while Hermione and Hannah took the other bench. Lisa was staying at Hogwarts, and Pansy was in Draco's compartment. I think she has a bit of a crush on him, but she's not wanting to admit anything and he's a little oblivious when it comes to girls.

Hermione wanted to use most of the train ride to work on our assignments, or at least get through the readings. Susan and Hannah rolled their eyes at us as when we pulled out our books, but they followed suit. I wasn't exactly eager to study, but I always get slightly better marks whenever I study with Hermione and I didn't want to pass up that opportunity. I think that Susan and Hannah had the same thoughts. Susan would get her work done in a timely manner, but would put it off for a few days at least. Hannah, on the other hand, would try putting it off until a few days before we go back if not trying to cram it all into the two days back at Hogwarts before classes resume. 

By the time we got to London we had about a quarter of our work done and a head start on a few more of our assignments. I could probably have it all done in a few days, but I'd rather go shopping and we've already made plans to do just that.

With only about half the students coming home this time the platform wasn't nearly as crowded but that seemed to do nothing to diminish the chaos of families being reunited. Hermione spotted her parents first. "Mum! Dad!" She yelled, waving her hand in the air. Hermione was soon wrapped in a hug with both her parents. "Mum, Dad, these are some of my friends, Hannah, Susan, and Holly." She said pointing to each of us.

"Well, it's good to place faces along with names. Hermione has told us a lot about each of you." Mrs. Granger said.

"Indeed. And I understand you are all planning a shopping trip tomorrow?" 

"Yes they are." A voice came from behind us.

"Aunt Amelia!" Susan exclaimed and gave her a hug.

"Sorry I'm a little late, my meeting ran over a bit." She held out her hand to Mr. and Mrs. Granger. "Amelia Bones."

"Chris Granger." He said as he shook hands. "And this is my wife, Jackie." They released hands and the women shook.

"I've agreed to take the girls tonight, would your daughter like to join us?" Mrs. Bones asked.

Hermione's eyes lit up, and she was barely able to contain her excitement as she looked up at her parents.

"I'll be taking them to tour the Ministry of Magic after we visit the shops, you're both more than welcome to join us, say at half past three?"

"I thought that muggles were not allowed, even if our daughter is a witch." Mr. Granger said.

"Not entirely true. They are allowed during legal actions if their child is under seventeen, and during a few extenuating circumstances, but I do have the ability to bend the rules a bit."

"She's the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement." Susan said, she's always eager to share that bit of information.

"Uhh, yes, of course we would love to, but umm, how do we get there?" 

"There is a payphone behind the Old War Office in Whitehall, just dial the word 'magic'. When you get inside just give the receptionist your names and they'll send me a summons."

"Be a good girl, Hermione. We will see you tomorrow." 

"Da-ad!" Hermione said quietly. 

Their hug ended and Mrs. Granger had her turn. "Don't be too mad at your father, he thinks it's every parent's job to embarrass their children." Hermione just nodded.

We were soon at Bones manor, which looked different from when I was here for the Christmas party, but I couldn't place exactly 'what' was different. "I had the walls repainted to compliment the new painting." Mrs. Bones said, seeming to notice my puzzlement. The painting in question was a magical recreation of rolling green hills being caressed by a light rain. "It's enchanted to replicate the current weather."

"But it isn't raining." Said hermione.

Mrs. Bones chuckled. "It is in Wiltshire. That's the view from my porch growing up. Now, I only have three guestrooms, so two of you will have to share."

"Holly and I don't mind sharing!" Susan said, her enthusiasm and eagerness was obvious.

"Is that so?" Mrs. Bones gave her a hard stare and Susan's cheeks began to flush. "I needn't be worried, do I?"

"No, ma'am." Susan said sheepishly.

"Well, go on then. I remember being young and I'm sure you have plenty of places at Hogwarts that you sneak off to. Susan, why don't you show your friends around. Dinner will be in thirty minutes. You can leave your trunks there, we'll have Leesy pop them up to your rooms after dinner."

Susan led us upstairs and showed us the bedrooms first. Hermione's reaction to the room was priceless. I'm sure I thought the same thing when I was shown my room at the Abbott's. "And this is a guest room?" She asked. After getting nods from the three of us she continued. "So how big is the master bedroom?"

"Just a tiny bit larger. It does have a larger walk-in closet and a larger bathroom as well, though." Susan said. "Come on, I'll show you the rest of the house."

She led us to the next room, and then to 'her' room. All three rooms were similar, a king sized bed, a large armoire, closet, attached bathroom, a writing desk, and a few portraits on the walls. Susan's room, though, had some more personal touches. The walls were a light lavender color, and there were a few stuffed animals on the bed and a small collection of books and magazines stacked on the desk. 

We were then shown where her aunt's bedroom and the fourth bedroom cum office are, but the doors were closed and we didn't go into either. It was then downstairs for the library, sitting room and kitchen. Hermione, of course, was enamoured with the library and she only left it under threat of it being considered impolite to miss dinner and a promise to return after we ate.

Dinner was baked salmon on a rice pilaf and a salad, and cherry pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. I did miss the variety provided at Hogwarts, but the quality was much better. Fish at Hogwarts always seems overdone. Dinner carried with it conversation that started with Mrs. Bones getting to know me, Hermione and Hannah on a personal level, but gradually shifted more to classes, grades, and how we feel about our teachers. Mrs. Bones also brought up the latest Rita Skeeter article about me, so I had to tell the story as it actually happened, which had her laughing almost hysterically when I told her that it knocked out every Gryffindor student, not just the first year boys as planned.

Of course Susan told her aunt about the snowball fight ambush as well. "You should have seen her, Auntie. I bet she could give some of your aurors a run for their money."

Mrs. Bones gave me an inquisitive look, with one eyebrow raised. "Is that so. I think I could arrange something if you like."

I can't say I wasn't interested, I love dueling, but I was concerned that Susan was placing me on too high of a pedestal. "I wouldn't want to violate the underage use of magic restriction and get anyone in trouble." I said.

"Nonsense." Mrs. Bones said. "Susan goes on regularly about your dueling and I'd love to see you in action, myself."

"Well, if that's the case, I'd love to." I said, trying to sound confident, when all that was running through my head was hoping I didn't embarrass myself. 

Our conversation tapered off and we were excused from the table. Our first stop was to the library, as we promised Hermione, who was excited to have access to a new selection of reading material. Curiosity got the better of me too so I had a look, which I was surprised had a rather large selection of Muggle poetry, and several of them were first editions. As tempting as some of them were, I didn't think Susan would appreciate me having my nose stuck in a book all night.

Hermione seemed torn between two books, but made her decision and the four of us headed up to the room that Susan and I will be sharing. Awaiting us were several types of ice cream, chocolate frogs and licorice wands and with some music in the background. We stayed up till the wee hours talking, and snacking and playing games.

Hermione was the first one to call it a night. She probably wanted to get a little reading in before bed, but she had been a good sport and hadn't even opened the book yet so we let her go without complaint. Hannah left to her room about thirty minutes later after she started dozing off leaving just Susan and me alone. I've never shared a bed with anyone before and I was nervous, my heart was pounding so hard I could swear Susan would be able to hear it.

"I'm going to get changed." Susan said, her voice sounding a little shaky, and got up to get her pajamas from her trunk. I did the same and changed next to the bed while she was in the bathroom.

We laid down in the bed snuggling. I was on my back and she had her head on my shoulder. She was tracing circles on my stomach through my silk pajamas with her finger while I ran my fingers through her hair. There was an awkward, yet still comfortable silence that neither of us seemed to want to break. 

Finally, I broke the silence. "Do you really think I'd be a match for trained aurors?"

"Maybe not all of them," she stopped tracing circles on my stomach and she sat up, looking down at me, "Is that why you've been a little off since dinner?" I just nodded. "Listen to me. 'You' are amazing. You're an amazing duelist, you're more cunning than anyone I've ever met, you're beautiful, and I'm lucky to have you, to be with you." She leaned down and gave me a brief kiss. "You don't get worked up when you duel Professor Flitwick, or anyone else. So stop worrying about it and just have fun." 

I wrapped my hands behind her neck and pulled her down for another kiss, which was much more passionate than the last. "Thanks… you're the best… and I'm the lucky one… to have you by… my side." I said between kisses.

A voice came from the other side of the door. "Don't make me douse the two of you with cold water!"

"Yes Auntie!" Susan replied and we both giggled. "We should get some sleep." 

I didn't want this moment to end, but I guess it had to. I released Susan and we fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very dark or just grey.

WillowD's picture

I would personally much prefer grey but I'll be reading your story either way. I think we would be likely to get the best story if you write it the way you think will make the best story.

Thank you for writing these.

The problem is I have 3

The problem is I have 3 different paths with 5 or 6 endings in mind with lots of events along the way for each. I figured if I can cheat and put it to a vote, it might get me to focus on just one of them.

Cool!

WillowD's picture

I look forward to whatever you write. I like this story.

Hej Mudge,

Hej Mudge,

personally I dont read real dark storrys. - and dont like dark heroes.

if it turns out to go in this direktion, than I would stop to follow this one ( as I did in other cases).

Thank you, that you ask for our oppinion before.


I know what you mean, and

I know what you mean, and that is one of the reasons I wanted to hear from you (the readers). Thank you for the comment.

Grey or tiny Dark

I like stories with slytherin heroes, so both are good with me.

I am not into dark stories

I’m still disturbed by a story where the girlfriend’s protagonist has been brainwashed so much that she killed herself one morning to stop being a slave

I recall that type of plot

I recall that type of plot device myself, and yes, it left a bad taste in my mouth as well. Even if I were to make this a dark fic, I don't think my mind would even let me go that dark. But so far all the votes are for grey or dark grey, so I'm hoping to not loose my readers. Thanks for voting.

Shades of Grey

Snarfles's picture

Despite our wishing that life could be all puppies and rainbows, it seems to me that our deepest lessons come from making uncomfortable choices, and sometimes those choices are pretty dark. My choice would be that Holly experience those choices, and not fall into the dark side of the force... Isn't that how we all become who we are?

But I heard the dark side has

But I heard the dark side has cookies!!!!! But yes, there will be some hard choices to be made, and yes, just like a real person I want her to make mistakes, or the wrong decision once in a while just to make her more lifelike. Thank you for voting.

Cookies?

WillowD's picture

Willow likes cookies. Oooh, the dark side is SOOOOOoooooo tempting.

Vote

As long as Holly won't become a cruel heartless bitch I'll be fine. I won't mind a bit of grey, though. And I enjoyed this series very much, so far.^^ Thx.

Well, so far everyone has

Well, so far everyone has voted for grey, so I don't think we will see Holly descend into heartless bitch mode. Thank you for voting.

No Dark

Enough dark in RL. How about no grey? I vote for bright pink stories with your fun touches of Hogwarts.

Bright pink stories, eh? I'm

Bright pink stories, eh? I'm not quite sure how that would play out in the long run. I can assure you though, I fully intend to keep up with the fun touches of Hogwarts. I'm glad you are enjoying the story so far. Thanks for voting.

It's said the most interesting characters ...

... are a mixture. With an all light character, or all dark character, much 'space' for internal conflicts and decisions, well that goes away.

In Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" novels, Harry is always aware of the pull of the Dark. For a time, he even had a Fallen Angel in his head, plus one of the 30 silver coins paid to Judas to betray Jesus. How's that for a temptation ... ? And Harry keeps coming into contact with three Holy Swords, each one having a Crucifixion Nail worked into it.

Consider Snape. Until the very end, we are uncertain which side he is on. Is he "For" or "Against" moldy wart and the Death Eaters ... ?

So, have Holly walk that line, to decide for herself her Path. Endless choices there.

And a lot us (OK, me) like Holly, and her going Dark would be sad.

There will certainly be some

There will certainly be some darker moments, especially in the later years, and Holly will have some difficult choices to make. In the cannon franchise Harry used the cruciatus twice and the imperious. Did this make him a bad guy, no.

Because of the fact that nobody has voted or expressed interest in Holly going dark lady, that will not be happening. Thank you for voting.