The Witch of the West, Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 15: 135 Miles in a Day!

It would be safest if Sandy and I fled in disguise. Of course, Sandy was already dressing as a girl, but few, even in Yonkers, knew that. Equally, few knew that I had managed to pass as a man before, or that I regularly wore tongs and a shirt during my morning exercises with the poor Sergeant. With my hair cut short and my mannish frame, I looked disturbingly like a lad – even in my dresses.

I had lost my petticoat to the necessity of bandages. Further, my Sunday dress, which I had worn on the day of the attack, was too bulky for my bag. I gave it and my old grey dress Anne. This made room for two dresses Peggy had outgrown when she blossomed. These were now Sandy’s.

Dressed in Mr. Wells’ old suit, and with my bosom bound, I had arrived in Dobbs Ferry as a strapping lad of 15 or 16 years. Sandy was my sister, and we were on our way home to Albany after a visit with our Auntie Anne. We thus faced no questions when we broke our fast shortly after dawn in the tavern’s public room. My suit was out of style, but I looked no more odd than any lad my age wearing his father or grandfather’s hand-me-down.

After breakfasting on porridge, cream and coffee, we walked down to the ferry pier. After a brief wait, Sandy spied a plume of black smoke hastening upriver. I recalled the sweet pine smoke that curled out of steamboats when my father had taken David and me to see them sailing the river. They had moved at a leisurely pace. Now the boat raced toward us at 20 miles an hour! The price of this advance was the cloud of sulfurous smoke that settled around us in the cool morning air.

At the foot of the ramp stood the conductor, whom I learned is called “the purser” on a boat. I paid him our passage ($2.80 for me and $1.40 for Sandy), and boarded. All was a rush, for the boat was not docked more than a minute before bells rang and sweat-soaked men on either side began shoveling coal into the very furnaces of hell. Valves opened and closed, hissing steam and causing enormous pistons to rise and fall. An ingenious system of links and rods turned giant wheels on either side. The river churned, boiling up mud, and the boat backed out. Soon more bells rang, an officer threw levers, and we moved forward at an increasing pace.

I was fascinated and tried to work out how the whole was arranged to its end. Sandy, on the other hand, quickly grew bored and wandered off in search of something more to his amusement. My neglect soon came upon me and I went in search of my charge. In front of, and behind, the engines are two large accommodations for the passengers, with rows of benches. Each has a kitchen and a counter arranged much like the victualing-houses I had seen in Manhattan. There one can purchase, at exorbitant prices, food and drink to be carried back to one’s bench.

Sandy was in the forward accommodation hall, playing with two other girls. Remembering what the Sergeant had taught me about “situational awareness,” I scanned the hall. Most of the passengers seemed men of business, but there was a scattering of families, and most peculiarly, a group of women engaged in energetic and purposeful conversation – I might almost say debate. A raven-haired lady of about 40 had a lap desk and noted down points of agreement. As I observed them, a somewhat younger brunette looked at me for a moment, smiled and when back to their common business. Sitting by a window, not far from them, sat a smaller group of men amiably playing cards and smoking cigars. From the occasional glances exchanged between the groups, I took these to be the ladies’ husbands.

These groups were singular in another respect. One of the women, who seemed to be accepted as an equal, was a negress, and one of the men, treated similarly, was a well-dressed freedman. I had never seen such a thing.

Perceiving no immediate danger, I returned my attention to Sandy and the girls, who were playing Cupid’s Coming. The girls, perhaps 9 and 12 years old, were dressed to match, so I assumed they were sisters. As I arrived they had evidently been playing “C” for some time. Cupid was coming “Charming," “Chanting,” “Careering,” and so on. Sandy was keeping her own when the younger sister could think of no word.
“Rose, I always lose! You only know more words than me because you’re older – and so is Sandy. It’s not fair! We should play something else!” she pouted.

“Like what?”

“Like dolls.”

“Violet, that would be mean because Sandy doesn’t have one!”

“Oh, but she does,” I interjected.

“Mi… Billy?” Sandy looked questioningly at me.

I opened my bag and dug to the bottom where I had the doll my mother had made me. “Here you go, dear.”

Sandy took it with a quick “Thank you,” and went back to her play.

“My, aren’t you a lovely big brother. I’m Sara Goodhill, these girls’ mother.”

“William Newcomb,” I said, extending my hand. “I suppose you’ve met my sister, Sandy? I was looking at the steam engines, and she got away from me.”

“Don’t worry, its perfectly natural for a young man to be interested in such things. What has happened to your poor head?”

“Oh, it looks worse than it is. I got hurt through carelessness in exploring a cave.”

“I suppose boys will be boys,” she said, returning to her sewing.

At that moment, I had a sudden sense of loss, for I had left the community of women, which I enjoyed with Jane, Caroline and Anne. Even my adulthood had slipped away. In this woman’s eyes, I was not a person of the world, but merely an older boy accompanying his young sister.

I read quietly and watched the scenery pass while Sandy assumed her new persona as if she had never been a boy. From time to time, I would see her playing with my doll and reflect with vague dread and uncertainty on my new status. I had thought that passing as a boy would give me a new freedom, but so far it was yet to be realized.

I thought too of Caroline, whom I might never see again, and wondered how I could find someone like her, now that I had given up my dress for tongs. A young woman might be attracted to the new me, but it was unlikely that she would share Caroline’s inclinations – and impossible that I would be able to meet her desires.

I was lost in such thoughts when Sandy interrupted my reflections. “I am hungry! Can we not buy some food?”

“Yes … I am sorry. Let us see what they have.” We settled on sausages with mustard on fresh buns -- washed down with lemonade.

Sandy fell asleep on the bench with his head in my lap. The day had grown hot and the river air was humid, so I rolled my jacket as a pillow for Sandy and went to the bow to enjoy the breeze. Suddenly, the brunette from the women’s group was at my side.

“Excuse me,” she said.

“Yes?”

“I thought you needed to know something.”

“What is that?”

“Your disguise is incomplete and sure to be penetrated.”

“My disguise?” I said, trying to hide my alarm.

“Yes, as a boy.”

I was at a loss for words. I could hardly deny her perspicacity.

“You see,” she blushed, “whenever I see a man – or a strapping lad – I can’t help but look at his … well, at his manhood, and you do not have any, my dear. Women are sure to notice – and some men too, I dare say.”

“Oh!” I did not know what to say, but clearly she was right. It was an obvious blunder on my part.

“I assume that you have good reason for your incognito. You have a wound to your head – and I observed how you took in all parts of the room when you entered. … I am Abigail Cummings, by the way,” she said, extending her hand.

“William … no, Nancy Winston, governess.” I decided to trust her, as she was obviously trying to help.

"Sandy, the child with me, is my charge, and we have already evaded two attacks. So, we are fleeing west.”

“You plan to take a canal boat then?”

“Yes.”

“So do my friends and I. We are on our way to Seneca Falls. It might be to your advantage to accompany us -- that far, at least.”

“I do not know where Seneca Falls is.”

“Oh, I should have said. It is near the canal in the Finger Lakes country.”

The Sergeant had taught me that some plan is better than no plan, so I agreed.

When I returned to the hall, Sandy was awake and playing dolls with Rose and Violet. Shortly after, we arrived in Albany – a mere seven and a half hours since we began!

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great chapter

Andragyne Thank you for posting another great chapter. You have me hooked on this story.

*

I second the motion.

Interesting characters, interesting story and well told.

Thank you,
T

Thank you

Thank you both.

Andra

My father was an aerospace engineer.......

D. Eden's picture

Who was employed by General Electric. He worked on the Gemini and Apollo projects during the 1960’s, and we lived in Cape Canaveral and later Merritt Island. When the Federal government cut back on NASA’s budget at the tail end of the Apollo project, GE lost their contract and my father was transferred. We ended up moving to Schenectady, NY, which was like being exiled to hell for a family of Southerners - but turned out to be perhaps one of the most important changes in my life.

Were it not for my getting out of the Deep South and away from the clutches of my extended family, I would have more than likely never have found myself - and likely would have lived a much shorter life because of it.

However, the point here is that I was lucky enough to live not far from the Mohawk River, in New York’s Capital District. For those of you who don’t know the history, the Erie Canal runs from Albany, NY to Buffalo, NY, and directly through the city of Schenectady. To this day, Erie Blvd. Sita on the original path of the canal. It is probably the widest street in the city, owing to the fact that it occupies the area which once comprised the canal proper, the two paths on either side of the canal, and the dock area as well.

The canal itself has been modernized and now essentially is the river, with flood control channels, dams, and locks built into the actual river course itself. The original “Flight” of locks lifting boats from the Hudson River to the Erie Canal still exists, although they too have been modernized. The “Flight” is in the village of Waterford, NY, and consists of five locks which raise or lower a boat 170 feet between the Hudson River and the much higher Mohawk River, bypassing the Cohoes Falls.

Like most transgender youth, even those of us who didn’t understand ourselves and couldn’t admit who we really were, I was a solitary youth in my teen years. I spent a lot of time riding my bicycle, usually by myself. Add in the fact that my father was an abusive alcoholic, and it was a way to get out of the house. One of my favorite routes to ride was west along the Mohawk on NY Rt. 5, between Scotia and Amsterdam.

Several of the locks along the way were built with dockage for boats to tie up, and these areas contained a picnic area and a small park usually. They were perfect areas to stop and relax for a snack or lunch. Over time, I got to know the lock keepers, and eventually they even began letting me lock the boats through. It was a unique and wonderful memory that I will cherish all my life; a little bit of living history that belongs to me. One of the older lock keepers actually took me to show me one of the original locks and a small section of the original canal. It was in disrepair, but you could still see the lines of the canal and even some of the original workmanship.

The Erie Canal, Clinton’s Ditch, was a true engineering wonder of it’s time and it was instrumental in opening up the western frontier in the early days of this country.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks

Thank you for sharing your memories. My grandfather worked on the improved Barge Canal over 100 years ago.

Westward Ho!

joannebarbarella's picture

After a little detour north. Second guessing you, the Erie Canal seems to be the logical way to go.

Abigail Cummings really should raise her gaze above a man's groin....and women complain when men stare at their chests!

I will follow Nancy and Sandy westwards. I'm fascinated to see where they end up.

Spare socks.

Podracer's picture

You can't go wrong with spare socks. I hope that Nancy has packed some for William.

"Reach for the sun."

She may need to

She may need to knit some.

Fleeing will last only so long

Jamie Lee's picture

If Leyden hirelings keep looking for a young girl and little boy, Nancy and Alexander will be safe. For awhile. Sooner or later someone will put two and two together and they will have to run again.

The only way to put a stop to the need for running is to put an end to the cause.

Right now, though, Nancy needs a powerful someone who doesn't mind playing rough, and can keep Nancy and Alexander securely hidden.

Others have feelings too.