Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 27

Printer-friendly version

Author's note: Thank you to everyone that left a comment on the last chapter. Everyone that voted was against this turning into a dark fic, and after reading some of the comments, I am in agreement. With that said, there will be a few darker scenes, especially later in the story, but Holly will remain the stories heroine (maybe a tad bit anti-hero, actually) that you have all come to love.

So sleeping next to someone is harder than I thought. We've fallen asleep snuggled together before, but that isn't the same as actually sleeping next to someone all night. Between being kicked, smacked, pushed, and having the blankets stolen from me several times throughout the night, morning came much too soon.

Susan was well rested, at least she seemed too chipper to still be tired, and she threw open the curtains letting in the light from the now risen sun. Wanting just a little more sleep I rolled over into my stomach and faced away from the window. I think I was halfway to being back asleep when I felt a weight on my lower back, and then a pair of hands massaging and rubbing my back.

"Wakey, wakey."

"Mmmmm." Was all I could manage to say in reply.

"Come on sleepyhead. Breakfast is in half an hour." Her hands continued to knead the muscles in my shoulders.

Feeling a little more alert now I was able to form actual words. "I don't wanna. Still sleepy." I said as it felt like I was melting into her ministrations.

Her fingers changed to a feather light touch and were dancing across my back as she said, "But we have a big day planned." in a playful half whine. Susan knows all my most ticklish spots, and soon had me tickled into submission.

Once she let me up I grabbed a towel and headed for the bathroom.

"Hurry up, Holly. Aunt Amelia doesn't like it when we're late for meals."

"I'll be quick, I promise." I said as I closed the door behind me.

We made it down to the dining room and took our seats with just a few minutes to spare. Hannah and Hermione both giggled a bit, and Mrs. Bones just raised an eyebrow at us. "Glad you could join us."

"Sorry, Mrs. Bones. I forgot how long it takes to dry my hair without using my wand."

"Ahh, yes. The illegal use of underage magic act. It's good to see proper young witches abiding by the law. So tell me, what about the use of enchanted items?"

Hermione answered before I could. "The law is in effect to preserve the statute of secrecy. If magical or enchanted items are used in front of muggles, then it would be a violation of that statute."

"So then why have a law forbidding underage witches and wizards from using magic outside of school? Why not emphasise the importance of abiding by the statute of secrecy?" Our food appeared while Mrs. Bones was asking the question, and she gestured to us to go ahead and start eating. 

"I would assume that the law was changed to what it currently is following a breach of the statute by an underage witch or wizard while away from their school. Maybe after multiple breaches." I replied as I spread jam on my biscuit and then took a bite.

"Very astute, Holly. I highly doubt that Professor Binns has changed his curriculum, so tell me, did you research that on your own, or did you deduce it yourself?"

"Well, it stands to reason that most laws are changed or created out of a need for them. Whether that need is real or just perceived is always up for debate, though."

"It sounds like you don't agree with the law?"

I gave a small sigh. "It's just hard, you know. Spending so much time learning and using magic and then being told you can't."

"The joys of growing up." Mrs. Bones raised her glass to me and took a sip. "Now, everyone finish eating and then we'll be off."

Diagon Alley was it's usual bustling self with crowds of people going about their normal business. We weren't the only kids that took advantage of being home from school to go shopping, but we still stood out. Our first stop was a clothes store I hadn't seen before called Twilfitt and Tattings, where Mrs. Bones was picking something up.

"Why didn't I know this store was here?" I asked, upset that there was another clothing store that I was never told about.

"It's a little more on the expensive side. We can get all our school robes at Madam Malkin's for the price of just one here." Susan explained.

Expensive or not we still all wanted to browse, and we had some time as someone was already in the fitting room. While there were a few formal gowns and dresses that I wouldn't have minded trying on, there wasn't much of a selection of casual wear for girls of our age. Shoes, on the other hand, they had in abundance and I found six pairs that I wanted, my favorites being identical lace up boots that came almost to my knees in both black and brown. 

As I was looking at my reflection wearing the boots, a woman spoke to me. "They're already enchanted to change color, you know. One of the benefits of spending a little more money." 

"Thanks. That will save me some closet space." I said, still looking at my reflection.

"Your items will be finished in just a moment, Mrs. Malfoy. Will there be anything else you will be needing today?" Another woman said.

"No, thank you."

I thought it had been an employee that had given me the advice, so when my brain caught up to the fact that I was wrong, I looked at the woman. The moment I saw her I was stuck staring. I spent so many hours looking at photographs I would recognize her anywhere. Granted, she's older, of course, but from the piebald hair to the cheekbones and jawline it was her, Narcissa Black.

"In some circles it could be considered rude to stare." She said which broke me from my trance-like state.

"I'm sorry. I'm in the same year as Draco Malfoy. I was just wondering if you're"

"His mother, yes. Now let me think. Dark brown hair" she paused and seemed to be giving me an appeasing look. "athletic, and by the snake necklace and tones of green you're wearing, definitely a Slytherin. That would make you Holly Potter, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Yes, ma'am." 

"Narcissa Malfoy." She held out her hand for me to shake, which I did. "You'll be attending our end of year party, will you not?"

Releasing the handshake, I replied. "Party?"

"I see he has yet to hand out the invitations. But yes, we will be hosting an end of year party for all of you first year Slytherins. I'll make sure he sends you your invitation when he gets back with his father."

Another one if the store's employees had walked up carrying a rather large bag. She waited for a break in our conversation, which she now took. "Mrs. Malfoy, here are your items. I trust they will be to your liking."

"Thank you. I'm sure they'll be wonderful as always." She said, taking the bag. Turning back to me, "Now if you'll excuse me, I do have other things I must attend to." 

"Of course. It was a pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Malfoy." 

"Likewise." 

I was standing there, staring in the direction she had left when my friends found me. "Who was that? She looked familiar." Susan asked.

"Draco's mum. She told me I can get the shoes enchanted to change color cheaper than buying another pair."

Hannah saw the pile of shoes I had amassed. "These are cute." She said holding up a pair of flats and looking at the price tag. "Aaand my mum would kill me if I spent that much on a pair of shoes."

"Only good thing about being an orphan?" I said, shrugging my shoulders.

I didn't mean to, but my comment killed everyone's mood a bit. Thankfully the awkward silence was ended by Mrs. Bones asking if we were ready to go, having finished what she needed.

I saw her shake her head a bit when Susan told her I was buying some shoes, but she didn't say anything. I put the brown boots back and headed to the register with my purchases. I had been so caught up with everything, I forgot I was still wearing the boots until I realised I put the shoes I had been wearing on the counter. "These too please." I said, lifting the hem of my rt to show the boots. "And I was told all the shoes can change colors?"

"Yes. Just tap your wand to them and say what color you want. Just a warning, you'll want to wait a few hours between color changes to help preserve the leather."

Our next stop was to Madam Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions. I had been here before, but didn't have time to really look at everything they had. I didn't really need anything so I was able to browse freely. My attention was drawn to the hair care section, especially the hair dying potions. I wasn't really wanting a change, but was more curious than anything.

Once everyone was done it was off to Madam Malkin's, where we spent the majority of our day shopping. We all bought at least a few things, but I think I bought as much as everyone else combined. I was playfully teased by my friends, but my existing wardrobe was only a fraction the size of theirs and they all knew that. 

It was time for lunch before we knew it. We went back to Bones Manor to drop off all our bags and eat lunch. It had just turned three o'clock When we finished eating and packing up our new acquisitions, so we went ahead to the Ministry of Magic to await Hermione's parents and then start our tour.

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool.

WillowD's picture

Holly met Narcissa. I think Narcissa is one of the most interesting background characters in the original series. It will be interesting to see if she becomes more than a background character here.

I do have major plans for her

I do have major plans for her involvement in the story, but that's not until much later on.

Auntie Nissa

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Auntie didn't see the family resemblance? Or did she just decide to keep it to herself for now? Wonder if she has heard of the eye color change, one of the Lions surely said something after they noticed her purple eyes... Likely a family trait.

So if you watched the show

So if you watched the show The Magicians, I got the idea for Holly's situation from the spell used to create new identities for the gang. When Holly taxes her magic the spell (curse?) weakens, but always takes hold again. So right now she doesn't have much in the way of Black family resemblance. I will say, however, that seeing Holly trying on those boots in particular would have reminded her going on shopping sprees with her sisters when they were young, but there wouldn't have been any reason for her to suspect anything... yet.