A Reunion

Printer-friendly version


A Reunion


"We're having company," Tracey waved to get the ladies' attention.

Joann and Laurie looked at each other in near glee. Tracey had just laid out the linens on the cafe-size table; usually set for three but now for four. Laurie looked at Joann before they said at the same time,

"Company!"

Tracey paused before going to retrieve the Tea Service.

"She's new here but it's someone you both know. So we can celebrate with Silver and China, yes?' Tracey relaxed enough and added to their giggles. All of them had arrived well past childhood, but the place had brought out the girl in each of them.

"Now...no tears...well, not much. okay?" Joann had already begun to sniffle and Laurie's eyes had begun to tear up.

"I know..." Tracey stifled a sob. It's not quite true what some folks say about crying in the place where they were. Even the most joyous occasions allow for those who love but whose hearts are not yet ready to completely celebrate on a day such as this.

Tracey looked at Joann and smile even as her own tears spilled freely. She shook her head no and spoke.

"No... not her...not now..." Tracey said with a sigh.

"She's alright, Joann." She shrugged her shoulders and half-smiled No reunion for them, so to speak. While they would welcome their newest member like a sister, their reunion with her came from meeting someone they had only heard about. They turned to Laurie, and their sad frowns changed to smiles and enthusiastic nods.

"Is she? Is it... Is it her?" Laurie trembled. Even the happiest of moments and the most jubilant events may include shaking, but then only in happy anticipation. She jumped up and ran to Tracey, quickly followed by Joann.

"She'll be here shortly." They could barely contain themselves. In no time at all, they had not only managed to finish setting the table, but had changed into festive attire. With the time of day being no consideration whatsoever, the morning, such as it was, became an evening of celebration with pretty gowns and elegant gloves.

"Oh...I think she's here,"Joann said. All three turned and beheld the newest member of their sorority - truest in that sense since they indeed were all sisters. The figure was veiled by mist. and she almost seemed old. But when she stepped past the veil into their midst, she looked all of about nineteen; very pretty and clad in what almost appeared to be a Bridal gown, but for the broad pink sash that matched her gloves.

Joann, ever eager, took one step toward the young lady but stopped. She leaned close to Tracey and whispered.

"It should be Laurie first?" Tracey nodded and smiled.

"Laurie?" the young lady's voice quivered with anxious joy.

"Ye...yes...YES!" Laurie ran to her sister and practically jumped into her arms. She began to kiss her sister's face; almost afraid to stop lest the moment be lost.

"I...I'm sorry I took so long to get here. I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too! BUT!? You're actually just in time, my sweet, sweet Alison Mary."

Laurie continue to kiss her sister but slowly and carefully, almost. The haste gave way to gentle confidence, as all of them knew that the reunion was indeed real and wonderful and eternal. Joann walked over and rubbed Alison's arm.

"Laurie's told me so much about you." She took her index finger and poked her right cheek. Alison leaned down and kissed both of Joann's cheeks and hugged her. Laurie squeezed Joann's arm and turned to face Tracey, who had walked over to where Alison had entered.

"You okay?" Laurie asked. Tracey nodded with only a bit of tears in her eyes. She smiled before looking through the misty veil and down below.

"Love you. 'drea. Don't hurry. We've got all the time in the world."



up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

yeah, dont hurry

some of us earthbound folks still need you for a bit yet

huggles

DogSig.png

Alison

Alison Mary left several insightful and positive remarks on my stories.

Those comments became incentive and instructive.

Some call it a muse. I believe people like Alison ARE a muse personified. They inspire and make us aspire.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Definitely-For Me

joannebarbarella's picture

The tissue alert, I mean, probably five boxes.

A lovely tribute to a lovely lady. I will miss our chats. It is so nice to think of her restored to youth and health.

If only.

Your love

Your love has the power to build a world. A world where our dreams become reality sooner or later. But please, later...

=(

All the names are too familiar. They are the departed welcoming one of their own. Alison was one of the most dynamic people I've ever had the blessing of knowing. She led a very full life of service (emergency services) and caring for people; ALL PEOPLE. I could write more but we each have our memories of this wonderful woman. All that had the blessing of knowing her are diminished by her passing. May her soul not wander!!! This is a fitting tribute to a very large woman with an even larger heart. Thanks Drea...

A Very Saddened...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg

Yes Drea,

NoraAdrienne's picture

You're not allowed to GO ANYWHERE... There are too many of us waiting for you to hang out and have meals with us. REMEMBER THAT!!!!

At the door there to greet us . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

This came up as a random solo. As a relative new-comer, I don’t know all the people at the reunion. But truly, I don’t need to in order to appreciate the scene. May we all have such a reunion, someday. Though, let me join the rest, Drea, in hoping we have lots more time with you here, first!

Emma

This Was A Tribute

joannebarbarella's picture

To Alison Mary Murdoch, a dear friend on this site, who died a few years ago at age 87. She was a remarkable woman.