Cross Country Disconnect – 19 Christmas Surprises

Printer-friendly version


Cross Country Disconnect – 19
Chistmas Surprises


By Jessica C


Gary took a challenge that he didn’t win...
Gary’s Caryn and Sarai become girlfriends…
What’s to become of Caryn when Sarai leaves…
What’s Up with Sarai…
=^_^=


Previously: My mother insisted I calm down and dispense with my attitude toward the Duvalls. “Caryn, your father and I would feel bad if Kathryn wasn’t with us. Do me the favor and give some understanding to the Duvalls.” …It was a help to hear Mom’s thoughts, “Mom, when did I become more Caryn? Before, I would have raged about the Duvalls?” …Mother asked me to pause, “Were you raging inside the quiet presence of Gary? You would never have been with Sarai if first, she didn’t bring you out.” …I thought, “Mom I wish I had time, maybe we could talk about what Gary felt after Christmas.” I finished changing. My dress and makeup were done with not a moment to spare as Dad dropped me off at the Duvalls… I was surprised getting to the Duvalls, my Dad stopped the vehicle leaned over, and kissed me on the cheek. “Have a good time Caryn.” My response was a smile and, “Thanks, Daddy…”

=^_^=


Now: Once inside, the Duvalls welcomed me and introduced me to Mrs. Duvalls’ parents Lily and John Larsen. I couldn’t believe myself curtsying to them and shaking their hands. Lily turned to Sarai, “My what a polite young woman.”

Mr. Duvall hurried us out the door. When I saw his SUV running, I was disheartened at the thought of climbing in and out of the back of that. Mrs. Duvall spoke up, “My parents are riding with us, and Rachel will be driving you girls.” With that mentioned I saw tires on the other side of the SUV.

It was a 2018 red Encore that she got for her high school graduation. The seats are nice leather, but cold as she hadn’t warmed up the vehicle. The five miles to the church provided time to get in a good discussion.

The redeeming thing about sitting in a second service was I was with Sarai, though I wasn’t to show any affection to her. Her church had a bigger choir and between them and the congregation, the music was joyous. The third benefit was we saw some friends. Getting compliments for looking pretty for Christmas was new to me.

The older Duvalls went quickly home after the service. But Rachel wanted to visit some friends. There was a guy she didn’t know but hoped someone would introduce her.

Sarai’s friend Tiffany commented, “Caryn, you walk so much better in heels. I have a friend, Andre, that I’d be happy to introduce to you when you’re interested in dating boys.”

Sarai gave Tiff a stare; Tiff said, “Back-off, it was a joke.”

I find myself adjusting and being able to stand outside in a conversation and not notice getting cold. Donnelly a friend of ours even comments, “Caryn, I see you’re getting into the girl mode of being able to stand out here like that.” He said, “You know you’re upsetting a bunch of our parents. My Dad even asked me if I was tempted to do something like that? They wanting to know if we see it as normal. ”

“What did you say back to him?”

Donnelly said, “I just told him that a number of us like you and find it normal for you.”

Rachel gave me a ride directly home and Sarai walked me up to my house and we kissed goodnight.

I was hoping for more time and messaged her hoping Sarai would contact me if we could talk.

=^..^=


With no little kids around, our family didn’t get up early to share gifts. I was up around seven and I made my way to the kitchen. Mom had hot water for the tea that I used to get a hot cup of Russian spiced tea. Mom smiles, “What a difference a year makes. My prayer last Christmas for you to come out of your shell. That was answered differently than I anticipated. It is still an adjustment, but I am happy for you and us.”

“I hear that Grandma Miller wants you as Caryn for Christmas. I had already told my mother that is who I anticipate you being… How did it go attending the service with the Duvalls?”

“The time went well. Mrs. Duvall was warm to me. Sarai’s Grandparents Lily and John Larsen were there. I’m not sure they know I’m more than a friend of Sarai, or about me as Gary.”

Mom says, “I expect they at least part of it, but they weren’t going to discuss it with you going to the church service? Sarai going out with a girl might be a big enough concern for them to wrap their mind around.”

She asked, “Are your feet cold from the vinyl floor?” They were, so Mom retrieved my Christmas stocking and handed me a pair of fluffy socks like what she and my sister wore. They were pink with white snowflakes and more. The lining looked like lamb’s wool.

Dad, Katie, and Grandma Miller were all soon awake and out to the kitchen. Mom had already gotten the cinnamon buns out of the oven and she and Grandma were icing them. “Mm, They’re delicious,” Katie hummed. I had switched to a cup of tea to enjoy my cinnamon roll with.

Katie had snuck me two pills from a disk she had replaced. “You should start taking them again until your next appointment. Mom knows, but don’t be talking about them.” She stuffed the remaining pill cartridge in my robe pocket. She kissed my cheek whispering, “Merry Christmas sister.”

“Thanks, I like that.”

It was 9:30 in the morning when Dad was back from the assisted living place with Great-Grandmother. When I greeted her she asked me to sit with her and talk. “Gary, I will call you by Caryn in a minute. But I need you to know you don’t have a good reason for staying away from visiting me. The fact that I’m not fully accepting of this, shouldn’t stop you. I love you very much and wouldn’t hurt you.”

I try to speak, but she puts up a finger that is a prelude to ‘she isn’t finished talking.’ “Your persistence, however, indicates this is you for at least now. I miss seeing you, and if you’re Caryn, we should probably have more to talk about.”

“Grams, you’re right; I shouldn’t have allowed myself to get so busy. When I’ve thought of it, it’s hard to get used to a car.”

Great Grams responds, “I’ll tell my grandson to take out some of my money to help him get Katie a vehicle for college and that you should become the primary driver of the present car.”

I said, “How about Katie and I come to see you on December 30? It will help keep a conversation going if she’s with me.”

Great Grams says, “You can’t go changing the date as I’ve got a busy calendar too.” She sat up straight like an idea had come to her. “I was just thinking, I have a car in my garage at the Riverbend Living Center. I’m not to be driving in this cold weather. Maybe you can be with your father in taking me back and you can bring back my car to drive. It is only while you’re on holiday break and there’s no snow on the roadway.”

I said, “You should stay here tonight. One of you can stay in my room and I’d sleep in Katie’s room on the floor.”

“Nice offer young lady, but I have medicine to take and I’m used to my own bed.” Grams pats my hand, “I appreciate the thought. Maybe you could stay with me and sleep in my recliner or something?”

Mom finds it amusing that I’m sitting on the floor next to Great Grams for our gift time. I’m surprised when I get a gift from Great Grams. It is in a small jewelry box that could be for a watch or bracelet. Opening the box I find a silver and turquoise bracelet. Grams asks, “Is it okay? It’s from when your Great-Grandfather and I vacationed in New Mexico. I’ve given something to each of my granddaughters and great-granddaughters. Yes, I’m accepting you’re a granddaughter.” I took it out of the box and Grams helps me put it on.

Nana Miller asks, “Are we going to see Sarai today?” I told her it would probably be around seven when I came back from Sarai’s. “That’s if Sarai’s family is willing to share her.”

Mom said, “Caryn, you have to be back no later than 6:oo as that’s when your Grandparents on my side come. If you take Great Grams back, you might not get to Sarai’s at all.”

“Mom,” I moan.

Mom says, “I don’t want to hear it. We’re always supposed to understand what the Duvall’s want. This is my first Christmas with you Caryn that should count for some special time here.”

I’m not excited about driving Grams Chrysler back in the dark. I’m touched more about Mom wanting time with me. But yes, I drove Great Gram’s car back.

Katie was correct when before Christmas said I might get a vanity from Dad and Mom. It is more white and pink than I would have chosen. But it is also nicer than I would have imagined. Sarai and I visited with my phone on speaker as I was setting up my vanity. Katie having been told of the gift and with Grandma Miller’s help had bought me a case full of makeup.

We were talking when I looked up and saw in the mirror my cousin Megan Edwards and Todd Chambers her fiancée. She hugged me from behind and as we gazed into the mirror she asked me, “Who is this beautiful girl in the mirror?”

Not to be upstaged, I said, “It is you and your cousin Caryn.”

She looked up to her fiancé, “Todd this is my cousin Caryn! Isn’t she beautiful?”

Todd let it slip, “Pre ...ttier than I would have imagined.” Todd stumbled over his words as he tried to apologize.

I said, “I can only imagine after you saw me in the running skirt that I am prettier than you hoped.”

He said, “How did you know, I saw you in a running skirt?”

I said, “It is what I would have done if my bride had asked the likes of me to be her bridesmaid. The fact that you went along with it; tells me how much you love Megan.”

Megan stands and turns to Todd, “Was that true or is she guessing?”

He says, “She guessed fairly well, but it is true that I love you that much.”

I said, “If you two need a room; you can stay in this one. Let me gather some things to sleep on the floor in Kate’s room.”

Megan giggled, “Thanks, but we’re not staying here.”

Finally, I heard Sarai laughing over the phone. She and I called it a night. Sarai as she was ending the call, said, “I need to tell you a joyful surprise tomorrow.”

Itching to know more of the surprise, I called back, but Sarai must have turned off her phone to tease me even more. I was fit to be tied until I finally fell asleep.

=^..^=


It was ten in the morning before both houses agreed I could go over the Duvalls to see Sarai. She grabbed my hand saying her parents already knew. “I hope you’re as excited as my Mom?” She waited until her mom came into the room. “I’m going to do what you suggested. I’m staying in school here and graduating with my classmates. And then I’ll be attending the June program at Auggie.”

I was smothering Sarai’s lips with a kiss almost as soon as she quit talking. She spoke out of the side of her mouth, saying, “Cool it my mom’s here.”

I stopped and turned to her mother saying, “I’m sorry, I got carried away…”

Janis said, “I’m just thankful you shared that idea and that we both get to have her stay longer.”

I asked Sarai, “Is there any chance that you’ll fulfill your Sister’s wish and go to a college closer?”

Sarai was emphatic, “No, how Augustana cooperated with my wish; I’m sure I’m going to the right university. They are hoping you’ll be coming too.”

I had to quickly run to their bathroom. My body was so excited, I was afraid I was going to explode. I hurried to close the door behind me, so I could pull down my panties and sit. It doesn’t work too well for an excited boy. I had to forcefully push that member down. I didn’t spurt much, but it was enough to conflict with my feminine scent.

It took a few moments longer to collect and refresh myself. But I needed my purse and a touch of perfume to assure myself that I was presentable. Sarai giggled a little as she handed me my purse through a small opening of the door.

Fixing my lipstick and makeup from my kiss and hug became enough for others who wanted to know why I took so long in the bathroom. Rachel joked, “You know if you were a real girl; you have been able to hold your bladder.”

Sarai and Mrs. Duvall were nice enough not to inform her what really happened.

Among other things, I got a beautiful white blouse with a fashionable white Augustana insignia embroidered into it over the left breast. Sarai later told me that her mother got it at the women’s shop where we saw fine women’s clothes. I was sure that the blouse sold for over one hundred dollars, which was plenty out of my league.

=^_^=


I felt bad when I took Sarai over to my house and I shared my gift with her. I didn’t know, until they gave a gift to her, how both sets of parents really thought of us.

I had gone to my room and changed into a nicer skirt and put on the blouse I got from the Duvalls.

My dad had pinned some mistletoe over the entry to the living room and stopped us as we were ready to enter. Mom and Katie were ready to catch the moment of our kissing under the mistletoe.

Grandmothers Edwards and Miller were both here and anxious to meet Sarai. It was quite nice how they took to her. Grandma Edwards said, “I knew Gary had taken his looks from his mother, but how was it that you saw a girl in him?”

Sarai acknowledged, “I hadn’t. It took him being happy as a runner again and seeing him in the running skirt. Even then I wasn’t sure. I just gave him the support to go forward. It was a kiss that Caryn gave me when I saw snapshots of her.”

Grandma Miller perked up, “You’re saying she really came from inside of Gary and that she wasn’t forced?”

I said, “It was when I went warming up with girls who ran first in a meet and the guys rebuffed me for it. I even began wearing a pair of their warm-up leggings. Little by little I found myself relating to them and being able to talk with other girls. I felt comfortable talking like I was another girl.”

Grandmother Edwards placed two pieces of jewelry on a table next to her. “Wow,” said Sarai, “They’re beautiful, and finely crafted silver.”

Grandmother asked to put on the hammered silver bracelet. When Sarai resisted, Grandmother said, Caryn bought it from me for you, but he wanted to make sure that you liked it.”

Sarai said, “I would mind it, but he didn’t buy it from you. He couldn’t have afforded it.” Grandmother took Sarai’s hand and turned her palm up and put on the bracelet. Caryn already received a piece of jewelry and Katie has received several pieces. I hope that you’ll be longtime friends.”

Grandma Miller gave Sarai a nice card with a gift card inside. This is our thanks for bringing our grandchild out of her shell. Whatever comes down the road for her will be an outgrowth of her friendship with you.”

It was me who first broke into tears and hugged my two grandmothers…

To be continued…

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That was,

I think, the sweetest chapter yet, I love how well she is being accepted and I'm so happy that Sarai will be sticking around a while longer.

Caryn has more support then she thinks

Samantha Heart's picture

Especially from Sarai's parents. I think most of it is her dad not mom as Sarai's mom seams more supportive then her dad is Especially his daughter being in a lesbian relationship with a transgender girl who is just coming out.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Truth sometimes takes time to see

Jamie Lee's picture

More are coming to accept Caryn is not just flyby night, but the true self of Gary. Sometimes it takes time for some to make sure what they see is true before accepting what they see.

Why was Sarai in a rush to go off to University? She could have gone locally then transferred. Did she feel she'd miss something if she didn't go? Is she really ready to go that far away from home?

Others have feelings too.