The Witch of the West, Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 24: Erie -- Lake and City

I woke early as the Sultan was rocking badly in a Summer storm and soon found myself disgorging my dinner over the rail. I determined then never to travel on the Lake – or worse the ocean – again. Yet, as the sun rose the lake calmed itself as though to greet the day with proper decorum. My stomach calmed with the waters and reported itself, much to my amazement, famished.

Breakfast was being served, or rather a buffet had been opened. So, I looked in on Sandy, but found her still fast asleep. Climbing the ladder (for so the steps are called on a ship) to the dinning area I found a forlorn Hans sitting by the entrance.

“Hans, what is the matter?”

Ich bin … I am hungry.”

“So, eat! Breakfast is being served.”

“I haf not the ticket. They say it does not pay for food, only passage.”

“Let me see.” It was a Steerage Ticket, and across the bottom was written “Passage Only.” I compared my Cabin Ticket – “All Meals Included.” “I see. Well, I did not mean for you to starve. I will pay for your meals. Come along!”

Danke … thank you.”

I offered him my hand, led him in, and arranged for his admittance to the buffet. After piling our plates gluttonously, we sat at a small table by a window. As we were both famished, it was a long time before we said anything further.

Ich muss … I must thank you.”

“You already did.”

“No, not für das Frühstück ... for the break fast, but for last night. Dat man, he vanted to make me eine männliche Hure. I don’t know how to say in English.”

“No need, I know what he wanted to do with you. … How did you get in that predicament?”

“Predicament?”

“Um … situation, fix, state?”

“Oh! It is a shame for me.”

“I want to be your friend. There is no need to be ashamed. I will not think less of you.”

“My fater, my papa, he trow me out of his house.”

“Yes, you said yesterday. … but why?” I could see that he was embarrassed, but he felt that he owed me an explanation.

“He see me küssen my friend, Otto. He says I am a ... Tunte, eine Königin ... I do not know English vord.”

“You mean you like boys instead of girls?”

“Ya … I can not help I like boys. It is big shame for my family. So, papa say I muss gehen – leaf.” He hung his head down and tears formed.

“I know men like you. They are fine men, good men. There is no shame in how God made you.”

“You tink Gott, God, He make me zo?”

“Yes, of course … and God is not ashamed of His work.” I smiled at him.

“Are you eine Königin alzo?”

“No, I will tell you about me later! … You finish your breakfast – take more if you like. I have to go and get Sandy.”

Sie ist your Schwester?”

“My sister?”

“Yes, I mean sister.”

“It is complicated, but for now, she is my sister.”

Hans looked puzzled, but did not pursue the matter.

I woke Sandy, had her wash, and gave her a fresh dress. Then I took her to breakfast. By now there was a long line at the buffet. An older couple was behind us.

“Is that your sister? She is so pretty!” began the wife.

“Yes, and yes, I think she is the prettiest sister I’ve ever had,” I replied warmly.

“Excuse my wife – she does like to talk. I am Frank Carpenter and this is my wife Abigail.”

“Glad to meet you. I am Bill Newcome, and this is my sister Sandy.”

“Where are you going?”

“We are on our way to see an uncle in St. Louis. So, we will be getting off in Conneaut to take the stage to Pittsburgh.”

“Getting off in Conneaut to take the stage to Pittsburgh?” Me. Carpenter seemed incredulous. “Why ever would you do that?”

“Captain Appleby of this vessel, said that there is a superior road from Conneaut to Pittsburgh.”

“I have a lumber mill in Conneaut, and know the road well. It is a fine road, but is a freight way, crowded with heavy wagons and – most importantly – with no stage service. The only stage that goes through Conneaut runs from Cleveland to Buffalo and is used mainly by folks that live along the lake shore as the steam boat is faster for long trips. Here, it is clearly marked on the map.” He pulled out A Traveler’s Map of the Northeaster States and Canada, which showed all canal, rail and stage routes in its area.

I was shocked that the Captain could have so misinformed me, but there was no reason to doubt Mr. Carpenter or his map.

“I wish I had this map when I started!”

“Well, we are ending our tour, so please take it.”

“Thank you very much. … I have already eaten, I wonder if you would watch over Sandy as I go and inform my friends of the change in plan.”

I had my little company finally marshaled at the gangway as the ship tied up at the Erie dock. The storm has passed, and it was a fine day, with the town looking freshly scrubbed. Once we were ashore, I saw the post office a few hundred feet from the end of the pier. On the way, we passed a general store with an assortment of goods in the window, including clothes and fire arms. Poor Becky looked like a ragamuffin in her worn dress, while Hans was quite the worse for wear, and shivering in the cold lake breeze.

“If we are going to be allowed on the stage, you two will need new clothes – and traveling bags as well.”

“But, I haf no money,” complained Hans.

“I do,” replied Becky with a new-found haughtiness.

“Yes, Becky, and do you not think the store owner will immediately wonder how you came by it?”

“I ‘spose so.”

“So, for now, I will say you two are our servants, and you will let me bargain.”

“Yes, m’”

“Vatefer you say.”

“Good! Follow me.”

The storekeeper was seated behind the counter, reading his local paper. He seemed to have a mixed reaction to us – looking pleasantly on Sandy and me, and with askance upon Hans and Becky.

“I have hired these two as servants, and need to purchase them appropriate clothes. I saw ready-made garments in your window, and wonder if we could arrange a trade?”

“Yes, I’ve clothes on consignment – mostly things that young people have outgrown – all freshly laundered, mind you. … What kind of trade did you have in mind?”

“Well, I was not expecting to hire servants, but these two needed positions, so I employed them. Out of an abundance of caution, my father gave me a brace of Derringers to protect myself and my sister.” I reached into my shoulder bag and produced two pistols. I really do not need them. My father said they cost $100.”

He examined them. “Perhaps they did when new, but I doubt it. These are of inferior manufacture. See, this part is rusted, and so made of plated iron, not German silver. Besides, they are scratched, see here and here. I’ll give you $20 each.”

“Give me $25 each, and I’ll take the extra $10 in trade.”

“Done!”

We got Hans a slightly worn suit, a felt hat, tongs, a couple of shirts and small clothes. Becky got a Sunday and a work dress, heeled boots, stockings and pantaloons. Two battered traveling bags, horehound pieces and ribbons for Sandy rounded out our purchases. Hans and Becky took turns changing into their “new” clothes in the stockroom. When we left, I gave the remaining money, almost $40, to Hans.

“Now you have money.”

Ich kann nicht … I can not take your gelt.”

“It is yours, Hans, from the man who was trying to take you. Those were his guns.”

Danke schön … tank you very much.”

“You are very welcome. Now, if you and Becky would go to the stage office and find out when the coach leaves for Pittsburgh, that would be most helpful.”

They left while Sandy and I continued to the post office. There, I asked if there was a letter for Bill Newcome. The clerk gave me one from the Captain.

Dear Bill,

I hope this finds you and your companion well. I am recovering under the care of Miss Wilson, who has been most attentive. Indeed, we have developed a mutual affection.

You will be gratified to learn that the Sgt. is recovering as well, although still quite weak. We both owe our lives to Dr. Robinson, who honed his trade as a naval surgeon in the war with the British.

I have had as visitors two of your comrades. The first was a potter who informed me of your progress and plans. That person also gave me a scrap of paper with a plan of the mansion. I immediately recognized the hand upon it as belonging to my beloved brother-in-law.

The second was a unique lady from Manhattan, married to an influential man there. She offered her husband’s assistance in dealing with the family problem we have previously discussed. Her offer has already borne fruit in correcting certain rumors and charges that had been spread concerning your person and actions. Her husband has also discussed our case with an official who may help us resolve everything.

I must stay here to assist my sister in her difficulties, so I beg you to proceed with the endeavor as we have discussed it. Please be alert to the possibility of telegrams at Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and your destination.

Gratefully Yours,
Karl

up
113 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A wonderful chapter

Thanks a lot an goos thanksgiving

Thanks

Thank you and I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving as well.

No Yellow-Brick Road

joannebarbarella's picture

A long and tortuous path to St. Louis (and beyond?) but like Dorothy, Nancy is gaining travelling companions.

It appears someone

is going to hang for their actions.