Sweet little spy pt 25

Printer-friendly version


Sweet Little Spy part 25

“Girls, as the leadership of your squad. You are just that the leaders. I'm sure that Lynn and Allison have heard this many times in the AACT. The rest of the squad will look up to you for guidance. Not only on the mats or the sidelines but most all the time. Also you need to be a good example off the mats too. I'm sure you know the tradition of the varsity cheer captain is supposed to go out with the captain of the varsity football team.”

Mrs. Styles continued. “I'm hear to tell you. That doesn't have to be the case. I was a safety on the freshman squad. I went out with the football captain. We moved and got on the Varsity squad at Northville high school. as the captain. That is were I met Kim. Before I left my old school. I had made a mistake, Because of that I wound up having to sit out the first half of my sophomore cheer season out.”

“Why Mrs. Styles.” Shelby asked. I already knew the answer.

“Well, Me and the football captain went to far, I became pregnant.”

A round of no way came from Lynn, Shelby, and myself.

“Sure was, My daughter was born, eight weeks into my sophomore year. The team doctor of the AACT. Wouldn't let me participate for almost three weeks after Wednesday was born.”

“Wow, Did you hide that you were pregnant?” Lynn asked. I knew why she did.

“At first I did, but I was 100 pounds at the time. After a while it became to hard to. So, I wound up telling. It was the first pep rally of the year.”

Mrs. Masterson nodded in agreement.

“I told the whole school. The roomer mill went crazy. The next week I got bullied. It stopped when I confronted one of them. At eight months pregnant I knocked out 2 teeth.

I didn't want to interrupt so I raised my hand.

“Yes, Allison. Do you have a question?” Mrs. Styles asked.

“Well, more of a admission.”

“OK, you may have the floor.” Mrs, Masterson said.

“I am pregnant. I am having a little girl. Her name is going to be Emilia.”

“Come on Allison” Shelby started. “Just because you heard the story from Mrs. Styles now your pregnant.”

“Shelby, I can tell you. My sister is pregnant.” Lynn confirmed.

“OH, Bull.” Shelby snorted.

“Shelby that will be enough. Allison is pregnant, her mother told me yesterday.” Mrs. Masterson stated.

Turning to me, “Really?” Shelby asked.

Smiling, “Yeah, I am.”

Lynn went over to talk to Mrs. Masterson and Miss Gormen.

“So, what happened?” Shelby asked.

“It was at cheer camp. One of the older boys talked me into having sex. Here I am pregnant.”

“He didn't use a condom or anything.”

“No, he did pull out before, ah, you know.”

Shelby nodded.

“I learned that even if that happens you can still get preggers.”

“Why don't you get an abortion?”

“Mom and Dad won't allow it.”

“So you are going to give her up for adoption?”

“Nope, I am going to raise my daughter.”

“Wow.”

We began seeing some others from the squad come in. It was about ten till eleven.

Putting down their stuff on the side lines. They began stretching out. By five till the whole squad was here, Stretching.

A precisely 1100 Lynn and the coaches and Mrs. Styles ended their discussion. As they came over to the squad. Lynn motioned for Shelby to join them. Lynn whispered in her ear for a bit. Shelby just nodded an understanding.

“Sorry for the late start, Your Captain had some ideas she wanted to check with me and Miss Gorman. To make sure was all right to do. We both are in agreement with what Lynn has planned. Lynn, you may have the floor.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Masterson and Miss. Gorman for agreeing with my ideas for the squad. I think it will make it better.”

Lynn stepped forward. “While I may just be a freshman here at Ridgemore high. And new to the Rangerettes. I have quite a bit of cheerleading experience. Me and my sister, Allison started with Cheer Select in Kalamazoo. We both got asked to tryout for the All American Cheer team.

As you saw at tryouts. The both of us are on the team. You also know Why I was placed as captain. And my sister asked to join as well.”

“Being that I am new to the Rangerettes. While Mrs. Masterson has told me that all of you have been a Rangerette before. Either JV or Varsity. The problem is that I don't know what cheer knowledge you possess.

“Mrs. Masterson has given me a list of routines that you did last year. What I want is for everyone to form up. I will have Shelby start the music. I want all of you to perform the routine. Don't worry if you are rusty. We will do them all. I want to learn what each of you are capable of doing so I can work on some routines. Each one getting more difficult. Thus making you put more effort into each and everyone.”

Lynn nodded at me. “My sister will be evaluating as well. First, Mrs. Masterson has brought a guest to address us. Mrs. Styles.”

Mrs. Styles stepped up in front of the squad. “Good Morning,Girls.” She began. “I am Cindy Styles. I am director of cheer operations for the Detroit Lions.”

I heard some girls “wow”

“I am also a former member of the All American Cheer team. I am also the one responsible for getting Mrs. Masterson into cheerleading. I became an AACT member just after my freshman year. I had been going to OH, Cheers in Columbus, Ohio for 5 years prior. I was on my junior high squads. I was also on the freshman squad of my high school.”

“I wound up changing schools, moving to Northville. I was put on the Varsity team as Captain. It was not because I was better than the others. I just knew more. The first thing you are taught while on AACT. You just know more and have practiced every single day, all day. For 6 weeks. Those of us who experienced the AACT. It is for those who live, eat, and breathe, cheer.

“You are taught that very thing. You are not any better than any other cheerleader. You just have more knowledge. As Lynn and Allison” Mrs. Styles motioned to Lynn and myself. “Can attest to. It is a huge commitment. I know myself that I practiced each and everyday. I would do tumbling runs in the dead of winter in our backyard. My mom has a video of me doing them in a torrential down pour.” Mrs. Styles smiled.

The girls giggled.

“That is the commitment that I made to be the best I could be and it lead me to the career I have now. Would I have done anything differently. Not at all. I wish all of you the best of luck in your future. I look forward to seeing some of you. At tryouts for the Lions cheer squad.”

Mrs. Masterson, Miss Gorman, Lynn and myself began applauding. The rest of the girls joined in almost immediately.

Lynn gave Mrs. Styles a hug. She began. “Thank you, Mrs. Styles. I can attest that those 6 weeks were the most grueling me and my sister have experienced in our lives so far. We also practice everyday. Mrs. Styles I would be honored to have you stay and assist us in our evaluation.”

Smiling, “I too would be honored.” Mrs. Styles accepted.

“Well, lets line up.” Lynn told the rest of the squad. The girls got up and moved into position. A couple girls moving slow like it was a bother for them to do it.

Lynn looked at Mrs. Masterson. Who nodded. “OK, let me tell you all somethings. Mrs. Masterson has given me complete rain, I can and will replace any of you who are not giving 1000 %. This is not going to be an easy way to earn a letter. It is like any other sport. Mrs. Masterson has said that I will have the final say if any of you letter in cheer-leading.”

The two girls who were lagging decided to hurry up and get into position. Lynn pulled a couple of legal pads out of her backpack. Handing me one. We stood on each side of the team. Mrs. Styles stood with Lynn.

“We will start with Alpha and progress through them.” Lynn signaled Shelby to start the music.

The group waited for the start point in the music. They began. I walked around, watching intently. I concentrated on movement and timing. I did notice that not everyone had the cheer smile. Each girl had a different expression on her face. While I do realize that this is just practice. I did also notice that most of the girls were just slightly off in their timing. Most people wouldn't catch the error.

I wrote down on my sheet. Smile, and timing. All in all from what I seen, the squad knew cheer. Lynn did the same, walked around the group intently watching everything. She watched foot and body placement.

Then there was Mrs. Styles. While I had no idea of her style. But she must have been in the program, to be on the AACT.

We watched through 5 routines. After the 5th one was finished. Lynn called for a stop.

“OK, lets take a break. We will discuss our notes.” Lynn says as we got together. Me, Lynn, Mrs. Masterson, Miss Gorman, Mrs. Styles, and Shelby

“Mrs. Styles what did you observe?” Lynn asked.

“I'll just say, Kim. You have a good squad of girls. They are quite good.”

“Thanks Cindy”

“Lynn started. “The big thing I saw was timing. While not to bad. Some are right on time others are ½ second off. Some may not even notice it. When you are in international competition, the little things can mean winning or losing.”

“Allison, what did you see?” Mrs. Masterson asked.

“Timing was one thing I also saw. The other was smiles. Everyone had a different expression.” I explained.

“Cindy?”

“That is what I saw, too.”

I let Lynn and Shelby discuss things with the coaches. I just sat by the bleachers.

After about fifteen minutes, Lynn addressed the rest of the squad. “OK, gather up.”

The girls sat down on front of Lynn and the coaches. “ All of you showed that you are indeed worthy of being on the Varsity squad.” Lynn started. “Only a couple of problems that needs attention. First is Smiles, It was noticed that each of you had a different expression. We are cheerleaders, we are supposed to be cheery. So we all need to smile.”

One girl raised her hand. “Isn't this just practice?” She asked.

“You are most definitely correct. But we should practice like it was in front of a stadium full of people. So, shouldn't we practice our smiles too.”

The girls all nodded in acknowledgment.

“Second, was timing. While our timing wasn't that bad. Just slightly off. But cheer is about coordination and timing. Lets line up in front here.” Lynn pointed to a line on the floor.

All the girls got up and stood on the line. “Everybody extend there right arm strait out. Just touching the girl to your rights shoulder. To give us some room to move. Once you get some room you can drop your arms.” Lynn walked to either end of the line. Sighting down it from each end. She kind of shook her head.

Stepping to the middle of the squad. “I can see what the problem is. I want everybody to line up the front of your shoe at the front edge of the line. This is called toeing the line. I will refer back to this time and again.”

I remembered it. I looked over my fellow cheerleaders. Most of the girls were about the same size. I wondered what each girls position was on the team.

I went over to Lynn and whispered in her ear. “We need to find out names and what positions they know or are?”

Lynn nodded, softly, “yeah, your are right.”

Addressing the squad. “I know all of your names on paper. But I need to match the name to a face. Also, I want to know what positions you know.” She pointed to the girl on the left end.

“Amy Shuler, all positions”

“Abbie Turlie, Base, flyer.

“Rebecca Smith, Spotter.

“Colleen VanHindine, Base, Spotter.”

“Caitlin Miller, all positions.”

“Penny Wendover, Spotter, base.”

“Cassidy Anders, Flyer, spotter.”

and the last girl, “Marsha Jeggers, Base.”

“Thank you, It actually looks like we have a well rounded squad.” I saw Lynn look at Mrs. Masterson. Who nodded. Lynn continued working with rest of the squad, for another hour.

“OK, that is all for this time. Since it is Friday, Lets plan on Monday same time.”

The girls grabbed there stuff and headed out.

I joined Lynn who was talking with Miss Gorman, Mrs. Styles and Mrs. Masterson.

“Lynn, that was great work that you worked on.” Miss Gorman complemented her.

“Thank you, Miss Gorman, It is an exercise we used to work on timing. I have a question. I know I am the only Freshman on the team, is everybody else. Juniors or Seniors?”

“All but Rebecca, she is a Sophomore. Does it matter?” Mrs. Masterson answered with a question.

“Oh, No Ma'am. You and Miss Gorman made the decision on who was on the squad. I am just a newbie here. Most of the juniors and seniors have their licenses?”

“I am almost sure of it. Do you have an idea?”

“Well instead of having either the parents or the girls wait. Maybe we can see who lives were and they could car pool to the practices. Would make sure everyone got to a practice and home safely. Of course we would have to make sure it was OK with their parents.” Suggested Lynn.

“We will consider it.”

Me, Shelby, and Lynn gathered our stuff, and took off. When we left the building, walking to Shelby's Jeep.

Lynn glanced at me, I knew what she was meaning. Something didn't feel right. I spotted a beat up gray pickup parked in the street. We piled in the Jeep. Shelby took us home. I did notice that the gray pickup was behind us.

Shelby pulled up at our house, We thanked her for the ride, telling her that we will see her on Monday for practice again.

The gray pickup drove past our street. Walking up to the house, Lynn dismissed the idea that the pick up was following us.

“Hi, Mom. We are home.” Lynn called.

“Hi, girls. How was your first practice.”

“Everything went smooth. We actually met a former member of the AACT.”

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Or was it

Maybe it was Shelby they’re after?

Seeing how they are trained

Samantha Heart's picture

Lynn my have dismissed it, but I don't think Alison did, SOMETHING IS DEFFENTLY off with that gray beet up truck. It was sitting across the street at school then followed them all the way home.... I'll say THIS much, girls arm yourselves LOCK & LOAD!

Love Samantha Renée Heart.