Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 381.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Calling For A Rite (2 of which don't make a rong!)
by: Angharad (>^^< has gone to church)
part: 381

I got into the new car and was impressed by the comfort of the leather seats. I sat and wheezed for a moment. The slightest exertion seemed to leave me breathless.

Simon sat looking concerned, "If ever I meet that bastard again, he is dead meat."

While I understood his feelings, his anger made me even more excited and thus breathless. I took a hit of my inhaler and it slowly eased. "Let the legal process deal with him, he isn't worth the aggro."

"For all the distress he's caused you and our family, he should be locked up for life, and it should mean that."

"I don't want to argue about it, can we go home?" We went via a pharmacy and purchased a nebuliser - I had to use it twice a day until my breathing returned to normal. All I wanted to do was ride my bikes, that could be ages away. I didn't dwell on it because it would either make me angry or depressed, but I could certainly see where Simon was coming from.

Simon drove us gently home, although we did have the roof down, I was wrapped up like an extra for The Mummy, and despite the sunshine, I was glad of the insulation. When we got home, he helped me to the house and then went back for the bits and pieces. Tom was waiting, and he escorted me into the house and led me through to the kitchen, where he switched on the kettle.

"Are you going to make your own tea, or shall I do it?"

I nearly risked it - I mean, what is there to get wrong, but he does and it isn't just a bit too strong or weak, it's just a bit too undrinkable. I asked him to put a tea bag in the mug and pour on hot water, I'd add the milk and pull it out when I considered it strong enough - not very long in my case. I carefully squeezed out the tea bag against the mug and the spoon and added milk. I like milky tea unless I'm drinking green tea.

"Ugh! I don't know how you can drink that anaemic looking fluid." Tom's opinion never faltered.

"I didn't ask for your opinion. I don't express one when you throw that mud down your throat in the mornings, please don't when I'm drinking my tea."

"That mud, is pure columbian coffee, it should be savoured strong and black."

"Fine, this 'ere is boggo standard Typhoo and I drink it how I like, so there."

Stella came rushing in, "Sorry I was upstairs," we hugged and air kissed. "So how do you like his new chariot?"

"It's very nice." I kept the remark short, I was feeling a little winded.

"I can't wait to borrow it," she said and chuckled.

"It'll be the last thing you do," Simon walked in and spoke very menacingly. "It's insured for the owner driver only."

"You rat!" exclaimed Stella.

"I beg your pardon?" replied her brother.

"How dare you exclude me from driving your car."

"How dare I what? It is my car after all."

"Oh yeah, mine is my car, but it doesn't stop you borrowing it."

"You weren't driving it at the time, if I remember correctly."

"But the insurance, we've always had a block insurance." Stella protested vigorously.

"Well, it was cheaper to go for owner driver, even Cathy won't be able to drive it."

Not wishing to enter the discussion, I waved it on. I really didn't have the breath to waste on pointless arguments. Stella had her own car which Simon had paid for, I think he paid for the insurance as well, so maybe he had some entitlement to use it. She paid nothing towards his, so I didn't support her argument.

I sipped my tea and then excused myself. The noise about the car was continuing as I struggled up the stairs to rest and then to nebulise. I suddenly had great sympathy for asthma and other chest problems. Would I ever ride my bikes again, and more immediately, would I be well enough to go to France to see the TdF, unless Simon borrowed a wheelchair? My eyes felt wet when I lay on the bed still blowing hard after climbing the stairs.

I awoke with a start my heart hammering inside my chest until I realised Simon was sitting on the bed watching me sleep. "How do you feel?"

"Breathless."

"Are you going to be well enough to go to France?"

"I don't know, sorry, it was a lovely idea."

"There's always next year."

"I'd love to see Millar and Cavendish ride in the flesh."

"I thought they wore racing skins."

"Ha ha, very funny." I went to say some more but had to stop and breathe.

"I think I'm going to phone the doctor, we need oxygen and I want a second opinion." He kissed me and went downstairs.

I started up the nebuliser and put in the drug the hospital had given me and inhaled the moist air from the machine. I hoped things improved rapidly, otherwise my life was going to became insufferable. I tried desperately not to dwell on the attack and the idiot who perpetrated it, I tried instead to visualise myself getting better and riding once again.

Simon returned, "The doc is on his way," he smiled at me attached to the machine.

"Thank you," I said, struggling with the noise of the machine to make myself heard through the mask.

"That's okay. Nothing is too good for you, I want you as fit as a flea so we can cycle together again, like old times." He smiled at me and I burst into tears.

~~~~~~

Feel free to leave a comment or two, Bonzi does read them all - then eats them.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can feel her pain

You really don't appreciate how wonderful breathing is until the ability to do so is taken away. Tell Cathy they make these wonderful walkers with oxygen tank attachements; just like grandma used to use! ;-)

Would Bonzi like anything on the side with his comments? Perhaps some boneless tree rat?

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Angharad

wonderful read again, as always.

I think Cathy may have left to early again. Will she never learn?

Hugs
Joni W

Cathy And Simon. What A Pair!!

I can see them now divvying up her chores until she gets better.

May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tuna flavoured

comment so Bonzi might enjoy eating it.I'm wondering if the new Jag smells like curry since there owned by an India automaker Mahrinda if I remember correctly.Even with Cathy's breathing problems it's a good thing Simon is offering to take her to France for the tdf instead of Beijing for the olympics.I'd imagine even with good lungs breathing the Beijing smog wouldn't be fun."May your pen never run out of ink and your brain out of ideas"

But 4 Rites

Make a strait! ;-)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Where did this sensitivity come from?

Are we sure this is really Simon or did someone substitute in an improved model? How many chapters in a row with sensitivity to Cathy? Not that I'm complaining but it's just surprising. Glad Stella is still around too.

I Agree With You!

About the death penalty, that is. It's not that I think it's cruel and unusual punishment, to borrow the American phrase; rather, that too many mistakes have been made, too many people wrongfully convicted who later turn out to have been totally innocent and the victim of misconduct by the police or some other part of the prosecutorial system.

Here in Canada, we have the famous cases (well, famous here in Canada!) of David Milgaard, Guy-Paul Morin and Steven Truscott, among others.

Sixty-plus years ago, when we *did* have the death penalty, there was the case of Wilbur Coffin, who besides having that macabre last name, made the mistake of being an English in a French area of Quebec,and the victim was an American tourist. So, you have to hang **somebody** or you'll scare off all the rich American tourists and who better than a maudit anglo (Translation:accursed English) to avoid offending the local francais?

Non, je ne suis pas prejugee contre les francais mais contre le penalite de mort!

To better enable Bonzi to eat this, please print it out on liver-flavoured paper, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Asthma's no laughing matter

As I so recently discovered (one shouldn't develop Asthma in the late 40s, or ever for that matter). Before experiencing it my self, I was just sympathetic, but NOW, I understand. An attack isn't easy to explain to someone that's not had one, and isn't necessary to someone that's been through it. The two best explainations I ever got was "it's like someone punched you in the stomach and you can't breath without getting punched" or "it's like you're under water trying to breath and it doesnt' work". Neither really helped me before, but now I understand what they were trying to say. I can only hope that Cathy gets the help she needs, soon.

Annette

Careful Bonzi...

my comments and kudos ate high in carbs. :p


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

&gt;^^&1t; = >^^< = Bonzi

Rhona McCloud's picture

You asked for a comment just at the time I was getting frustrated trying to work out how you got from >^^&1t; to Bonzi. It wasn't you being obtuse but my cut and paste program! It was a shock to realise you were ready to finish after 365 episodes

Rhona McCloud

Wheeze, gasp

Here we are the faithful, addicted readers, still commenting after 381 short chapters. with only >^^< to read them, >**< is asleep.
Surprised a portable oxygen concentrator wasn't sent along with the nebulizer, it would make a big difference. Lord Muck has waved his arm and poof a doctor will appear, Is he Irish?

Cefin