Deadpan

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

They're back, the laconic detectives from "Pattern."

Story:

Deadpan

by Erin Halfelven

 

"This is another weird one, Joe."

"What do you mean weird, Frank?"

"You've got to know what I mean, Joe."

"I'm asking, Frank."

"This is a weird one, Joe."

"What kind of weird?"

"Strange, peculiar, spooky, kinky, disturbing sort of weird."

"Yeah."

"I mean, murder isn't weird, Joe. We see too much of it."

"Yeah."

"And some of it's pretty strange."

"Yeah."

"But to kill your girlfriend then dress in her clothes and begin eating her. That's weird, Joe."

"I see what you mean, Frank."

"Weird."

"Yeah."

"Peculiar."

"Yeah. But he didn't dress in her clothes, Frank."

"No? How do you figure? She's naked and he's all dolled up in that pink frou-frou thing."

"An organdy lace evening gown. Would have been right in style thirty years ago."

"Sort of whatcha-call-it?"

"Retro, yeah, Frank."

"But you don't figure it's hers? She's lying there naked with bite marks and you don't think the dress he's wearing is hers?"

"No. She's a size eight. The perp has to be at least a sixteen."

"Twice as big."

"That's not how sizes work, Frank."

"You think it's his dress, Joe?"

"It fits him pretty well."

"Why would he wear a dress like that to commit a gruesome murder, Joe?"

"Well, it is Halloween, Frank."

"Yeah, I forgot that. Yeah, it is the night for ghosts and goblins, ain't it? Good thinking, Joe."

"Not really."

"I didn't think of it."

"You could have, Frank."

"Too weird for me. I don't think I would have thought of it. Halloween. But it's obvious."

"Yeah."

"Don't rub it in, Joe."

"I said you could have thought of it, Frank."

"Yeah, sure. You think he was on his way to a party and just stopped for a snack, Joe."

"I don't know, Frank."

"Probably, though. Going to a party, at least. Wearing an evening gown from the fifties, in his size."

"Could be."

"What else could it be, Joe?"

"Maybe he's just an old fashioned ghoul, Frank."

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Old fashioned g****

This was a real groaner. Well done. Had me really wondering where it was going.

>>> Kay

Pretty Funny

Erin,
Please keep these chapters going, they are really funny. Janice Lynn Miller

We were working the day shift

We were working the day shift out of East LA, the Captain was Luis Mendoza.

Karen

Ouch!

D. Eden's picture

That's just sooooooo bad!

Lol,

D.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Next episode

erin's picture

The next episode was the Valentine's day one. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Slap!

That is the sound of the last line hitting.

You know I should have seen it coming, I didn't but I should have...

Great read.

Splat!

erin's picture

This story came to me all at once in one piece--on the freeway. I'm lucky to be alive. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Just gi' me the facts, ma'am

Wasn't it called DRAGnet? One of the very first records (you remember, those black 10" diameter shellac discs that revolved at 78rpm) I bought was St George and the Dragonet with Stan Freeberg. Yeah, I'm THAT old :o).

If it isn't Joe Friday and his buddy, I apologise, but an amusing fragment never the less. Thanks, Erin - for the rest as well.
Geoff

Old enough for mustard

erin's picture

I'm that old, too, Geoff. :) I didn't own it but a cousin if mine did.

Maybe it's a different Frank and Joe? :) Back in the seventies, my brother did a comic strip called "Joe Fuzz" in some fanzines. Joe was a lizard policeman and his partner was a frog named Frank. Maybe it was them. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Let's be Frank... :-)

Erin,
This is very good. Maybe even better than "Pattern". I only hope that you can continue to 'stamp' out new visits from Frank and Joe every once in a while.

Love,
Diane

Love,
Diane

Story Virus

erin's picture

I've got a germ of an idea for a new one. Maybe it will develop into something contagious. :)

But both "Pattern" and "Deadpan" just happened because of some impetus. Inspiration is like lightning, if you want it to hit you the only thing you can do is stand out in the rain, under a tree, holding a golfclub. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

As Teresa Brewer Once Said

Wouldn't anybody care to meet a sweet ... .

Not if you've been invited as a bite to eat.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)
714 Dark and Dreary Lane
Bulwer-Lyttonville

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Darque and Stormie...

erin's picture

...sound like a pair of strippers. :)

Love the address gag, Jill. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Gr-oan!

You've just gotta love a pun like that!

Best wishes, Andrea.

Best wishes, Andrea.

Work

erin's picture

Puns are supposed to be the lowest form of wit but setting up a good pun takes some work. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

And when she was bad ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... she was VERY, VERY good! Bravo Erin !!!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Ven she vas bat...

erin's picture

For some reason, I read you line as the tagline above which led to the following limerick:

If you were a lass from old Transylvania
You'd need a sup of blood to sustain ya
Lots of heavy drapes
A few opera capes
And a coffin in the basement to contain ya.

I've got to get rid of those golf clubs. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.