Covid 19 Part 25 The end.

Printer-friendly version

Covid 19 Part 25

©Copyright to Beverly Guinevere Taff June 2020

List of Characters.
Terry Harrington. Fugitive boy marked for compulsory transitioning.
Samantha, (Sam) First transitioned kid Terry meets on the streets.
Theodora (Dora) Leader of the transitioned kid gang.
Jessica. (Jessie) The only natal girl in Dora’s gang.
Charlie Member of the transitioned gang.
Jan Another member of the transitioned gang.
Ron Café owner who lost his daughter to egg-snatchers. Agathe McTavish. Female paediatrician (Aggie)
Doctor Cummins Professorial Consultant Paediatrician
Sarah. Senior Midwife at the maternity unit
Dawn Very young trainee nurse.
Eleanor Jessica’s mother.
Diana Terri’s mother.
Marek. Refugee from ISIS terrorists in Syria.
Diana Junior Baby named after her grandmother.
Eleanor Junior Baby named after other grandmother.
George. Clever Insightful lab tech.
Jamal Marek’s female 1st cousin.
Sarah Female Bodyguard.

Part 25 Finale.

Through the remainder of that winter Terri and Jessica only left the apartment about once per day to walk under escort through the park. The logistics of travelling further abroad were too complicated to organise and still maintain sufficient security.

As February closed, the secret of Terri’s transvestism or partial transgenderism had starter to leak out. Finally there came the day when their stroll in the park had to be abandoned as they were mobbed by an over-enthusiastic crowd who had recognised the pair. Fortunately, they escaped to the accompanying security back-up van and returned slightly shocked and overwhelmed by the attention they had received.

“Jeeze!” Terri cursed. “Well that’s it then. No more strolls in the park. We’re going to have to find a new home.”

“But it’s going to be the same wherever we go. Just about every one of those numpties was taking pictures.”

“What do you think Sarah?” Terri asked the escort.

“Well obviously your security is compromised now so you’re right, you’ll have to move.”

“Well, will it be like a witness protection set up, or just finding anonymity in some remote town?”

Sarah paused thoughtfully.

“I think a medium sized county town or small city. Somewhere perhaps like Hereford or Gloucester. Not too far from the clinic so still handy to deliver sperm and blood.”

“Well the blood thing is soon to end,” Terri observed. “Professor Cummins and Doctor Mc Tavish told me they’re close to developing an alternative. And don’t think I didn’t notice your suggestion for Hereford. I know where your regiment is based.”

“Yeah, well you still need protecting, so the closer the better.” Sarah cautioned.

“She’s right Terri,” Jessica agreed. “Logistics again. Faster response time and all that.”

“Well. I suppose Hereford is a pretty place.” Terri conceded. “Are you thinking of settling down there?”

Sarah nodded as she watched the news reports about flooding.

“It’ll have to be well above the River Wye. Look at that lot.”

The usual news-reel stockage of RIBs travelling from house to house rescuing residents through flooded windows gave them pause to reflect.

“We could live on a house-boat Jessica giggled.”

“We’d have to teach the twins to swim.” Terri riposted.

“Not in that river; look at it!” Sara contested.

“There are plenty of hills around Hereford; it’s by the Welsh border for God’s sake.”

“Okay then, Hereford it is.” Jessica decided. Both our mums live in those parts anyway.”

“That’s a thought,” Terri agreed. “We could buy a little farmhouse and build an extension. Baby-sitters right to hand.”

Sarah nodded.

“Sounds like a plan.”

ooo000ooo

Like most simple plans, the idea just grew and grew. When Eleanor and Diana, the grandparents found out they quickly suggested that they buy a bigger place and use the sale of their respective homes to fund the purchase.

“Sounds like it’s going to be a commune.” Sarah observed.

“Well we’d better get searching,” Jessica concluded.

Naturally when Dora learned of the plan, she too wanted to join, as did Charlie and Jan.

“Where are we going to get the money to buy a big enough place?” Sarah pondered.

“Well, if the government can’t help us, I might have to put a price on my sperm!” Terri declared.”

“And to whom would you sell it?” Sarah spluttered. “The moment you put your head above the parapet, every potential buyer would be gunning for you.”

“They’re gunning for us anyway!” Jessica countered.

“Yes, but if the clinic here lost control, that would mean the British Government would lose control and you’d lose our protection.”

“There are plenty of other democratic countries where we could live.” Terri re[lied.

“I’m afraid the government might not let you go.”

“Aah! I knew it. When push comes to shove, we’re prisoners.”

“So we’re birds in a gilded cage – almost literally!” Jessica added.

“Forget it Jess,” Terri sighed. “It’s not of their making, you can blame bloody Covid 21 for this! We might as well start looking for something half decent to live in.”

“I’m not going to forget it!” Jessica snapped. “If they want to keep us stuck on this island until forever; and we’re by no means criminals! Then they can bloody pay for our keep.”

“We’re not bloody royalty Jess!” Terri sighed again. They won’t give us a bloody allowance from the privy purse or something.”

It was Sarah’s turn to stir the pot.

“Think that one through again Terri. You are bloody royalty! Your blood has been far more important than any stuff flowing around Buck-house. And what’s more, they’re going to need your sperm to produce ‘a’ girls; and ‘b’ - boys who make girls. Currently, all boys except you cannot produce ‘y’ chromosome sperm and that includes the royals. Somewhere along the line, they’re going to have to produce a boy who has normal sperm or the royal lineage might well die out. Their best solution is to wait a couple of generations to avert the inbreeding issue then let one of your great, great, great grandsons legitimately impregnate the female heir to the throne. Fortunately, the rule of male primogeniture has been repealed so the opportunity will come sooner rather than later. But for now Terri my darling, your it; nature’s royalty.”

“Oh bullshit!” All I want is to be free of all this shit. To that, they’d have to arrange a marriage to make the poor brat a legitimate heir. I’ve had enough!”

“It’ll come darling – eventually.” Jessica calmed Terri. “I’ll chat with Professor Cummins and he can crunch the numbers. They’ll know when your first son produces sperm. If it’s X and Y, then you’re a free bird.”

“So we’re prisoners at least for another what? – Eleven, or twelve to thirteen years. With no holidays abroad.”

“It’ll be at least two to three years anyway before the Covid pandemic is cleared up, even with your blood.” Sarah added.

Terry slumped into an armchair, she was losing the argument, that is – if there was an argument to be had. After ruminating silently she heard the clink of china; Jessica was doing what she usually did when things were being thrashed out, making tea. It cheered Terri up and she joined the girls.

“Tell you what, let’s go with Ron and Dora out to the borders near Hereford and look at some houses.”

“Let’s just look on line.” Jessica suggested.

“Nah, I fancy a decent day out.”

“It’ll have to be tomorrow then, logistics and all that.” Sarah cautioned.

“Okay! Tomorrow then. Give Dora a call, see if Ron’s up for it.”

ooo000ooo

It was Dora who answered the phone, then, after a brief exchange, she agreed to hold the fort as Ron grabbed a well deserved day off from running the make-shift take-away service.

Armed with a short list of appointments to view suitable properties the foursome spent the day determining their options. At the end of an exhaustive day they returned home with two probable options. After several weeks of negotiation with the government, funds were made available and as Spring approached Jessica and Terri found themselves setting up a new home. By the summer, their parents and friends slowly joined them and eventually, a small community had developed on a modest manorial farm that boasted a substantial Georgian house.

The location proved idyllic for their needs by offering seclusion and security that served to maintain Terri’s anonymity.

THE END.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

privacy, at last

or as close as they can get.

nice story hon.

DogSig.png

Over

Maddy Bell's picture

or is it?

Adventures in SAS land?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Wow

Thank you Beverly for bringing the story to a close. Let's hope that the reality is as close. It would be lovely to resume some kind of normal life. I hope that everyone follows mask and hand washing protocols so we can get a handle on it until vaccines are widely available.

Barb

Barb

All too brief

Thank you for a wonderful story. I know it has reached a good conclusion and there wasn't much more to say beyond 'they walked towards the setting sun together' but that's the way it is with all good stories.
Liked the bit on royalty, clever insight. Of course given these modern times I kind of expect the monarchy to disappear in about 3 more generations anyway. The family has money and the people don't really want to fund them. But that's just this outsider's opinion.

I've had a lovely time in your literary universe.
Kay

The monarchy.

Hi Kay.

I don't know whether you're a cross-ponder or a commonwealth citizen so it's hard for me to grasp your thoughts about the monarchy save your expectations that it's not much longer for this world. I've got mixed feelings about the monarchy. Yes they are funded from the 'privy purse' but even so it's a much cheaper option to have a head of state who is by-and-large inherited subject to parliamentary approval rather than one elected at huge cost every so many years.

(Yes the heir to the throne has to be approved by parliament of the UK and the commonwealth countries before he or she can ascend to the throne; though it's usually a formality. This is a follow on from the act of succession when William and Mary were invited to take the throne. Before that even, James the second only ascended the throne after parliament invited them back from France after Cromwell died.

One queen every sixty years is much cheaper than an elected head of state every four years and let's not forget that all the paraphernalia of state is second hand. (The crown jewels, the state coach etc, etc.)

Just as long as our monarch does not get above herself or himself then things in the head of state corner run pretty smoothly. Don't forget, we've already beheaded one for getting uppity so they know there place. Even in 1935 King Edward the eighth was forced to abdicate because the government thought this partner was not suitable to become queen.

Furthermore the monarchy does slowly move with the times, why only a few years ago the rule of male-primo-geniture was changed by parliament so that it is the oldest child who will normally inherit and not just the oldest male child.

The Brits do move with the times, but slowly slowly. (And we haven't had any attempted insurrections lately.)

bev_1.jpg

Happily Ever After?

joannebarbarella's picture

It's nice to believe in fairy tales, but you could scarcely wrap this story up with a downbeat ending.