Her Maid wore black -chapter 4

Printer-friendly version


Her Maid wore black.

Be careful of wanting revenge. There is an old saying ‘Never raise more demons than you can put down.’ For Constable Cyrille Phantomhive, last descendant of the legendary Earl Ciel Phantomhive, this was one warning he should have paid better attention to. If he had, he might not have ended up traveling 132 years into the past. Life as a Lady in Victorian England is not for the faint of heart.

I have often wondered what would happen if Ciel Phantomhive and his demon butler Sebastian Michaelis had female counterparts.


Chapter 4
Fellowship of the Royal Scientific Society, London: Saturday, 3rd September 1888: 01:45pm

“I believe that you’ll find this sherry to your liking, Countess. It is a delightful Jerez Dulce. My wife tells me that it has a slightly sweeter than normal taste. An almost chocolaty flavor.” Rushmore said as he hand the glass of black wine to the Countess Cecilia. He could tell right away that the young woman was no stranger to alcohol. Not with the way she sipped her sherry.

“Thank you, sir. As much as I hate to say this, but I truly need this.” Cecilia said with a grateful smile. “After what I have witnessed these last few days, I fear I might need a few more bottles of sherry at home.”

“May I know what has the Queen’s Alleycat on edge?” Lord Rushmore asked as he fixed himself a tumbler of Irish whiskey.

“Murders most foul sir. Done not for profit or shock effect as a warning but in pursuit of mystical power. It is these murders that have brought me to your grand halls of knowledge.” Cecilia told him bluntly.

“While our membership comprises the finest minds in all of the Empire and most of the world. I fear that we lack any real understanding of the metaphysical sciences.” Lord Rushmore grunted honestly. “Yet you said you have a question concerning the principals of probability. Can you elaborate on the problem?”

“I know that this may sound outlandish but is it possible for two people from two deferent times to travel back into time with the soul prepose of preventing a calamity? One of such massive proportions that it will change the course of world politics. Not to mention the way that nations fight wars.” Cecilia asked before she took another drink of her sherry.

“I might I know the extent of this calamity and the type?” Lord Rushmore asked with real curiosity. He was intrigued by the question his quest had proposed.

“War sir. War on a scale never seen before. Not between just two nations. A war waged on a global scale. A true World War.” Cecilia answered as the door to the solar was open by a man in his mid-fifties.

Cecilia did a quick evaluation of the man and placed his age at around fifty-five. He was around five-nine, hundred-eighty pounds, with salt and pepper hair and a graying beard. The man was obviously a teaching Professor as indicated by the chalk smear on his left lapel. The gold chain leading to the left breast pocket was to light for a watch letting her know that he was in all rights nearsighted. The heavy watch chain hanging from his right vest pocket plus the obvious bulge of a Hamilton 1881 Railroad pocket watch. After taking all of this in Cecilia figured that this man was the Professor Morgan.

“You asked for me Lord Rushmore?” Morgan asked as he eyed the young woman in the solar. Before extending his hand to her. “Stanly Morgan at your service, my Lady.”

“Cecilia Phantomhive, Professor.” Cecilia answered as he bowed over her hand.

“Excuse me, my Lady. But did you said Phantomhive? As in the Earl of Phantomhive? The Queen’s Watchdog?” Morgan asked as he stood up straight looking over at Rushmore.

“Ceil is my cousin, Professor. Allow me to reintroduce myself. Countess Cecilia Phantomhive, the Queen’s Alleycat.” Cecilia answered before taking the last drink of her sherry. “Might I have another glass of that delightful sherry, Lord Rushmore?”

“Of course, Countess. Though I do suggest moderation in the intake of strong spirits.” Rushmore warned the young Countess.

“No need to worry over that situation, sir. I learned my lesson the hard way during my travels across the Americas.” Cecilia said as she faked a shiver at a bad memory. “I shall never again partake of that witch’s brew the Americans call fine whiskey.”

Both men chuckled at was clearly a bad memory of a fun filled night during the young woman’s travels. Thankfully both men were too much a gentleman to pursue the topic of her drinking. Lord Rushmore handed her a refilled glass of sherry before turning to Morgan. “Professor Morgan our guest has come to us with a rather challenging question of probabilities.”

“Naturally, you thought of my work in the field. Fix me a pint of biters and I shall endeavor to solve the Countess’s question.” Morgan told Rushmore. Who just smiled at the Professor as he handed over the aforementioned drink. “Thank you, sir. Now, Countess, what is this challenge you face?”

“To put it simply Professor. Can two individuals from deferent times travel back through time to a point in history in the hopes of diverting a world calamity?” Cecilia just knew that she was going to get a lecture on the impossibilities of her question by the Professor from the look on his face. So, you can imagine her surprise when he actually took her question with real interest.

“I take it that this is not a hypothetical question, Countess?” Morgan asked with real concern. Then frowned as she nodded her head in answer. “To be honest Countess if such a situation were to occur the ramifications would be more than problematic at best to calculate. The deciding factor would be if the two individuals were of the same mind. If one were sent to stop the other, it would all come down to who was the more successful in their endeavors. For example, if one of the individuals was set here to stop the other from changing the timeline.”

“Can you please explain that a little better for me Professor?” Cecilia asked.

“Let me think. Ah I know just the example. Let’s say that subject A wants to stop the assassination of a tyrannical world leader. This assassination sets about a series of events that brings about a revolution in that nation in the current timeline. Yet that revolution brings about freedom for the whole of the nation. If that assassination were to be stopped then the revolution won’t happen, and the nation will remain under a tyrannical rule until the next generation takes the throne. This is subject A’s goal, to stop the assassination. Now subject B has been sent back in time to stop subject A and keep the timeline from changing.” The more Morgan got into the hypotheticals of the situation the more Cecilia became convinced that she was here to stop the Chosen Ones of Eternal Doom.

“There is a third option where in the actions of both subjects actually change the timeline regards of their individual missions. Only this change will not so much as affect the totality of the timeline and the calamity still happens. Only the final totality of the calamity would be affected. It could be either greater or lesser. Depending on which of the subjects was successful in their mission.” Morgan explained for Cecilia with some further thought. Then he gave Cecilia’s face a hard look. “Your question has something to do with a case that you’re working Countess. Though I am no expert in the metaphysical sciences I would postulate that you have found yourself imboiled in such a situation through the means of the mystical arts.”

“Professor Morgan, please! Show some decorum! We are men of science after all. You cannot possibly believe that such a situation could happen through mysticism that mathematics and true science cannot accomplish? While time travel is a theriacal concept. It has yet to be proven.” Rushmore demanded of his counterpart.

“I do indeed Lord Rushmore. While the mathematics, scientific, and technical engineering has not been accomplished at this time. That doesn’t mean that sometime in the future someone hasn’t cracked the problems of time travel. I could very well see someone using the technology to try and change the past. Though in all probability it will come about with the combination of the mystical arts and science Lord Rushmore.” Morgan explained with a straight face. “As much as I hate to say this the men that we really need to discuss this question with is Herbert Wells and Jules Verne. I know that they are writers of fiction yet they both gasp the concepts of time travel far better than I.”

“Those foolish writers of fantasy? Really Morgan?” Rushmore grunted.

“They maybe writers of fantasy Lord Rushmore but they have the mindset to grasp the complexities of time travel.” Morgan countered. “I’m afraid that true time travel will take someone who understands both magic and science.”

“I see. Then again what we see as magic is nothing more than an advanced science that we have yet to understand.” Rushmore countered much to Cecilia’s amusement. Despite herself she was enjoying the back and forth discuss her question had brought about between the two men. For some reason Cecilia had the feeling that her question would become the topic of more than one argument within the hollowed halls of the Royal Society of Science.

“Lord Rushmore, Professor Morgan, might we return to the topic at hand?” Cecilia asked politely. “I fear that my time is short this day.”

“Of course, Lady Cecilia. Where were we before we became sidetracked?” Rushmore asked of Morgan.

“The probability of two individuals traveling through time to change the future. Sadly. I fear that the odds are incalculable at this time. I would need more variables or defined boundaries before even trying to make those calculations.” Morgan told them both with a heavy sigh. “Though if I were working off just those few variables and I add in the possible use of mystical arts. I would be forced to say that the answer is yes. Though the reasoning behind the attempt is beyond me.”

“To stop the downfall of our Empire sir.” Cecilia answered bluntly. Both men just shook their heads in sadness.

“Empires rise and fall. This is a fundamental truth of history. Even our great Empire will fall in time. Like always there is more than a few factors that go into the fall of an Empire. No one calamity will bring about that fall from power.” Lord Rushmore sighed as he thought of the foolishness in trying to stop the inevitable.

“Why the very concept of trying to change the direction of a nation’s fate is like trying to stop the tides.” Morgan shuttered as he tried to do the math in his head. “Why I could spend the rest of my life trying to calculate the mathematical probabilities of such an endeavor.”

“In other words it is impossible to change the future?” Cecilia asked.

“Lady Cecilia the mathematics of trying to make such predictions could found a whole new field of study in the science of mathematics.” Morgan chuckled.

“Then I wish the best of luck sir. I for one am happy in being able to balance my banking ledger correctly.” Cecilia chuckled. The striking of the room’s mantel clock brought Cecilia’s to the time. “Thank you for your time gentlemen and for answering my question. I fear though that I must take my leave. Time grows short and I must be home in time for the evening meal.”

“Of course, Lady Cecilia. I must apologize for monopolizing your time. You must return for another visit. I find that you have a most intriguing mind.” Morgan said as he took her hand and bowed over it in a kiss.

“I must agree with my learned companion, Lady Cecilia. Please do not hesitate to darken our halls should you find yourself in need of our services. I dare say that more than a few of our members could use a good swift kick to their egos.” Rushmore snarked as he kissed the back of Cecilia’s hand. “I am sure that you could deliver those kicks with regularity.”

“I would be happy to supply those kicks sir. I am sure that I can find more than a few topics to challenge your fine membership. It seems that I have been cursed with a thirst for knowledge that my mother found rather embarrassing as well as challenging at times.” Cecilia said as she looked down at her widow’s weeds. “My fiancé often found my need to learn even more challenging.”

“I apologize for bringing up unpleasant memories, my Lady. I take it that your fiancé was a remarkable mam among men.” Rushmore said with a slight frown.

“For an American Southern Gentleman, he was rather brash, but he had a side to him that he only showed to me. I will say this though. If not for him I would not be here today. He believed that even a lady should know how to defend herself.” Cecilia giggled. “He made sure of that in my case.”

“In that case you can always find these Halls an advisor Countess. I’ll inform the Stewards that you are to be afford all courtesy.” Rushmore told her as he escorted Cecilia from the room.

Both men were amused by the how the young lady held herself in such a defiant and proud manner as she exited the building. Lord Rushmore waited until the young lady had left their halls before commenting. “That young lady had a deadly air about her that only a fool would ignore, Morgan.”

“It is more than that old boy. She is what our wives fear we’ll bring home to our sons. Intelligent, beautiful, graceful, and deadly as the pit viper.” Morgan said as he drained the last of his drink. “Though I do wonder at her questions still.”

“Yes, it was rather vague in it’s origan. Though you did bring up a point that has me concerned. It involves the mystical arts and science blending.” Rushmore said as he fix Morgan another drink. “Do you believe that the two can be blended in such a manner that you described.”

“I fear that it can happen, old man. The truly scary part is that the probabilities for such an occurrence happening before the turn of the century is well over one in three. If not one in two.” Morgan said as he pulled out a cigar from his jacket pocket. After biting off the end and lighting it with a match Morgan gave Rushmore a hard look. “I know that the Queen’s Watchdog has always been a member in absentee but why have you gift the Countess with the same privilege?”

“Because I fear that the Alleycat is far more than she appears. It would not do for us to alienate the young woman.” Rushmore answered as he relite his pipe. “There is a great power held within that young lady’s small body. If we fail to recognize her as a member in absentee. We shall pay a heavy price.”

“Then let us pray that she does not turn her anger on us.” Morgan sighed.

Rose Point Manor, Edinburgh, Scotland: Saturday, 3rd September, 1888: 08:45pm

Lord Ward Butler walked the halls of Rose Point Manor with more than a pensive look upon his face. He was still trying to figure out how his friend and fellow member of the Chosen Ones of Eternal Doom ended up dead in the streets of London. Of all their number Wilton Mitchell was the most careful. Yet no more an hour ago he was visited by privet messenger telling him that Wilton was found dead; his throat slit from ear to ear, with seven of his top lieutenants. It didn’t matter what else happened Ward knew that they could not stop their plans. Plans that without Wilton Mitchell’s criminal connections that just became harder to carry out.

“Damnation. How could he get himself killed when we were so close to reaching the first half of our goals. It just doesn’t make sense. Who could have gotten close enough to kill him?” Ward asked of the empty air.

“The fool let the Queen’s Alleycat find him. That is how.” Ward wasn’t expecting an answer to his question and spun on his heel ready to fight. Upon seeing his teenage wife Ward relaxed. “Really darling. You must work on your mystical barrier. I could have ended you with but a flip of my wrist.”

“Cordelia I must protest your use of magic within the upper reaches of the Manor.” Ward said in chastisement of his young wife. Then blanched as she raised her left hand hold a glowing ball of white fire. “Please control yourself Cordelia.”

“Let me be perfectly on this matter, Husband.” Cordelia Butler spat out the last word as if it was a curse. “You need me. I don’t need you. I did not travel back through the vail of space and time to bow to some man. It is my power that controls our little group. It is my power that will bring about the salvation of our Empire. It is my power that will control the Demon Thorgonnoth, Prince of the Eternal Doom. Understand this my husband. The only way to bind Thorgonnoth is through the sacrifice of the twenty-one newlywed couples and the twelve virgins. Without those there is no way to control the Prince. He will devore us all.”

“Worry not Cordelia. Even without Mitchell I will secure the needed sacrifices.” Ward stammered out with his eyes locked on the white glowing ball of fire.

“See that you do, husband. Fail me and I’ll feed you to Thorgonnoth myself.” With that Lady Cordelia Smith-Butler banished the spell in her hand and walked away. Much to Ward’s considerable relief.

Once he was alone again the man let his anger override his fear of his wife. “Once the Demon Price is bound to the world, I will no longer have any need of you bitch. When that time comes. You shall be the first sacrificed to his hunger.” Ward turned and walked towards the back stairwell. “Then your power shall be mine.”

As he entered the lower reaches of the Manor, Ward headed for the far back wall of the Manor. Here he pushed on a series of rocks. With a thud a secret panel swung outward revealing the ‘Priest’s hole’. As he entered the secret room, he smiled at the six young people laid out before his eyes. All but one had already been bound in twenty-one layers of heavy cotton, linen, and silken bandages. The shapes of their body obscured by the bandages removing all traces of their sexually. They had been turned into living mummies. Soon they and their final member would be placed in the waiting sarcophagi. Three days from now just like the first twelve mummies for Prince Thorgonnoth, they too would be delivered to the London Museum.

He walked over to the last victim naked victim. She had already been shaved from the top of her head to her toes. The six servants were slowly rubbing the girl’s body down with heavy oils. This was the final step in preparing her body. With slow and burning malice Ward runs his hand over the naked form of the girl. She couldn’t be more than seventeen and already married. Then again all of these newlyweds were still in their teenage years and the women were still virgins. He had spend a small fortune to insure that they were all properly wed by the local parish priest. Even if it was against their wills. All that was required for the ceremony was they were newlywed. Ward stepped back out of the way to watch as the final victim was prepared for her journey into the afterlife. By the servants that he had personally brought here from Egypt for this task.

All eight were men. All eight were artists of one discipline or the other. All eight were totally mute and loyal only to him. But most importantly of all. They were expendable. No one knew of their existence and should it become necessary Ward could seal them in this room for forever. No one would ever miss them if that should happen. They would simply die in this room and no one would ever know.

As he watched one of his servants lifts the girl’s right leg, while another lifts her left arm. Beginning with the fingers and toes two more servants begin to individually wrap each one tightly with small narrow cotton bandages while the last two pass over more bandages as needed. When all five of the fingers are done a wider roll is used to wrap the hand and wrist. The same is done with the foot and ankle once the toes are secured in their own wrappings.

A wider cotton roll is used to work on up the forearm and lower leg respectively, wrapping all the way up to the shoulder on the arm and the groin on the leg. The bandages are wrapped on with a three-quarter overlap which makes the layer relatively thick and ensures no flesh is left to peek out between turns of the cloth. Shifting positions and switching tasks as needed the servants laid down the bandaged limbs and pick up the other leg and arm.

These are wrapped in bandages in the same manner with the same effect. Shifting again, the servants repeat the cotton wrappings on the first two limbs so that two thick layers encase the arm and leg. A second layer was then done for the other two limbs as well. Going back to the first two limbs a third layer is started, but instead of individually wrapping the fingers and toes they are bound together this time leaving the girl’s hands looking like thumb less mittens.

When all of the girl’s arms and legs are covered in three layers of thick cotton bandages each, the servants shifted positions again so that two of them can lift up her hips and lower torso. Her legs are spread out a bit further and the four other servants begin to wrap cotton bandages around her hips, crotch, and waist, making sure to overlap the bandages on the legs by the width of three turns. As they continue to wrap on up over the girl’s belly and chest the servants shifted positions and switch jobs so that her torso is constantly held up to give enough space to pass the bandages underneath. When they reach the amulet around the girl’s neck it is not taken off, just lifted up so that the bandages can be wrapped in place under it. Wrapping bandages over the shoulders and down onto the arms the first layer is completed. Moving back down to the hips a second matching layer is wrapped in place this was followed by a third layer over that one.

The girl was now wrapped in three layers of cotton bandages from her neck down, completely covering everything so that there is no exposed skin to be seen. Laying the girl down on the alter, the servants moved back down to her feet. There they began a new layer of bandages, wrapping both legs at the same time while continuing to keep them separate. The bandaging continues all the way up to her neck then down to the fingertips in one continuous layer of bandages. Completing this fourth layer a fifth and final layer of cotton bandages was wrapped in the same manner but starting from the fingers and working down to the toes. The amulet about her neck remains free of the wrapping, lying on the girl’s cotton bandage covered chest.

The servants all stepped back for just a moment as they gather up shallow pans and brushes. The liquid in the pans has been kept heated over low flames and appears to be yellowish in color. Dipping the brushes in the fluid the servants begin to liberally brush it onto the bandages where it quickly soaks in. They cover the entire front side of the girl then gently roll her over and cover the backside, making sure that there were no spots missed. They repeat the process two more times, doing three passes over both sides in all, then place the still half full pans over the flames again. They allow the resin to begin to dry some while they gather up a fresh batch of cotton bandages, this time only selecting longer and wider rolls.

The servants come back and arrange the rolls of bandages around the girl then lift her feet into the air. Pulling her enshrouded legs together side-by-side they begin to fill in the spaces between her legs with more resin-soaked bundles of cotton cloth until the spaces are filled in even with the tops and bottoms of her legs. Picking up fresh rolls the servants wrap bandages around both feet binding them together. The still sticky resin helps to hold her legs together as the next layer is applied. The same care with wrapping is followed as every layer had been done so that there are no visible bandages from the lower layer to be seen.

The wrapping continues on up all the way to the girl’s armpits, and the medallion is left to lie on her chest this time so that it is now held under the new layer. Picking up her arms the servants are able to bend the elbows and cross her arms at the wrists over top of her chest. More resin-soaked wads of bandages are used to fill in the empty spaces around her arms, and then rolls of bandages are wrapped over top to tightly bind the girl’s arms down. Fresh rolls of bandages are used to extend the wrapping on up her neck, and they begin to wrap her head as well.

One of the servants stuffs the end of a cotton bandage into the girl’s mouth. More of the bandage is stuffed in until her cheeks start to bulge, then resin is poured over the bandage and in her mouth so that is soaks down into the cloth filling her mouth. The rest of the roll is tightly wound around under her chin and up over the top of her head several times forcing her jaw closed. A new roll is wrapped around over her mouth and the back of her head sealing her lips shut and continuing up over her nose. The girl’s eyes are left uncovered as the bandages are wrapped up over her forehead and the top of her head again. The bandaging is concise and carefully applied so that when done the only thing left visible is her eyes. Two more layers are wound around her head, further sealing away her identity. When three layers are finished on her head a pan of warm resin is brought over and brushed over the bandages to soak in and dry. When the resin is done two more layers of bandages are wound around the girl’s head but covering her eyes this time and another application of resin is done again.

While the girl’s head was being enshrouded, the resin that had been applied to the rest of her bandages had continued to dry and harden. When the servants moved down to her feet again to start a new layer, the resin had hardened enough that just lifting her feet raised her entire body. The servants continued their assigned task, wrapping more and more bandages around her now rigid, encased body. Only now they were using the heavier linen bandages to wrap her body.

The wrapping took several hours to complete. By the end, fifteen more layers of bandages were applied bringing it up to twenty layers. Every five layers the servants would stop the bandaging and soak the bandages with more resin, brushing on three applications each time. The heat and dry air in the room helped to quickly dry the resin and harden it. By the time, the twentieth layer was done, the layers had grown so thick that there was absolutely no definition to the form of the person contained within. Even the arms had almost disappeared, leaving only a small rise over the chest to be seen. The neck was simply a straight rise up from the shoulders to the top of the head. Only the feet protruding up could be defined as such, and even they were thick and formless. If the girl was trying to make any sounds or move on the inside, there was no sign of the attempts from the outside. The mummy on the alter was silent and motionless.

A final and last layer of silk bandages, making twenty-one layers in all, was wound over top of the still wet resin from the twentieth layer. This layer of bandages was wrapped with intricate detail, creating a pattern of crisscrossing bandages from the toes to the chin of the new mummy. This final layer was coated in a clear resin that sealed the silken covered form from the air. Ward knew that the girl inside that cocoon of bandages would soon die of suffocation. Just like the other five sacrifices. His servants left the new mummy from the alter and placed it besides the others to allow the layers of resin to finish drying. This would take another three hours for the last mummy.

However, that time would not be spent idle. The servants still had to prepare the six death masks or funeral headdresses for the mummies had to be finalized. Each mask had been cast from the actual faces of the victims. The face of each mask would be painted to show the faces of the victims as they were in life. The res of the mask would be painted in the style of the ancient Pharos. These masks would cover the heads of the mummies, upper shoulders, and down the midpoint of the chest. This task was taken care of by six of the servants.

The other two were busy preparing the inner coffin. Until now the inner coffins had yet to be built. The two servants needed the exact measurements from the finalized mummy forms. The reason is that the mummies had to fit tightly inside the inner coffin. Once built these inner coffins were painted with intricate designs. It would take the eight servants a full day to complete their tasks. Ward knew that they would not take any breaks except for food, water, and to go to the bathroom until the masks and inner coffins were done. The outer coffins had been finished for three weeks now. Because the outer coffins were all the same size and painted the same way. When the inner coffins were placed in the outer coffins, shims would be used to center them in the bottom halves.

As much as he wanted to leave his servants to their tasks. He knew that he couldn’t. Not and stay alive. His lovely wife would kill him the second he stepped foot outside of the room for anything other than food, and drink until the final preparations had been completed. Unlike his servants Ward took several naps over the next twenty-two hours. During that time, he would check on the mummies. He was surprised to find that even a full day after the resin had fully hardened for some of the mummies. The person inside was still alive. He could by the sounds of faint moaning coming from near the bandaged covered heads of their victims.

When he checked on the death masks, he was not surprised to find all six were done. Looking over at the inner coffins he was surprised that three of them actually were actually painted as wedding gowns. It was going to be shame that no one would ever see the craftmanship used to make these six coffins. Not that it matter to Ward and his fellow members of the Children. These three newlywed couples would spent eternity in service to the Demon Price. Seeing that all was finally in readiness Ward stepped over to his servants.

“Ready the sacrifice for their final destination.” He ordered.

The eight men moved over to the first mummy. After placing it on the alter they covered the head with a thick coating of resin. Then with great care they push the death mask into place. The resin did to things. First it provided a lubricant for sliding the mask over the heavy bandages. The second it glued the death mask into place. Ward noticed that the first mummy to receive its death mask was a male. Over the next two hours all six mummies were fitted with their death masks.

He watched as the bottom half of the inner coffins were placed in the bottoms of the outer coffins. He watched a buckets of clear resin was poured into the area between the two coffins. With extreme care the six mummies were lowered into the inner coffin bottoms. The fit was so tight that the servants had to forcibly push them down to seat them. Once in place a final layer of a resin was poured over the top of the mummies before the inner coffin lid was seated in place. The servants then began to fill the outer coffin bottoms with clear resin until the inner coffins were cover under one inch of resin. With all of the clear resin used the lids for the outer coffins were set in place and sealed.

Unlike the first twelve mummies these six would never be removed completely from their sarcophaguses. After two days the process was complete. Each sarcophagus was then placed in a shipping crate. The three sacrificial couples were now ready for delivery. The crates were then taken upstairs to the back of the Manor. Once there they were loaded onto a lorry to be transported to the London Museum. As the lorry rumbled off into the setting sunlight Ward turned to find his wife standing behind him. There was a cold unnatural look in her eyes.

“Your plans for my death have been revealed husband.” The glowing ball of blue-white fire in her right hand drove a chilling fear down Ward’s spine. “I warned you when we first wed to never cross me.”

Before Ward could react the ball of blue-white fire struck his chest. The pain that filled him was so great that his very lungs locked up. Denying him the ability to scream. As he stood there with his muscles frozen in pain Cordelia walked around him. Once she was behind him facing where the lorry had gone, she finally spoke again. She voice was cold as the frozen artic poles.

“You believe that our Demon Lord would ever bow to one such as you?” Cordelia asked harshly. “You fool. It was he who brought me back through hundreds of years to this time and place to carry out His grand designs.” Cordelia held her right hand palm up to look at the tiny spider there. “I have eyes everywhere within the Manor, Ward. There is nothing you can do, think, or say that I will not know about. You had this one last chance to please me. You Failed! Now you shall become a sacrifice for our Demon Prince. Only unlike the slaves that you have already prepared. You shall never know peace. You will wonder the underworld for forever.”

Cordelia snapped her fingers and the pain disappeared dropping Ward to his knees. She stepped around in front of him. Looking down at the defeated man before her Cordelia snarled. “Farewell, husband.”

With that she walked away. As she passed one of the Priest hole servants, she gave one final instruction. “Take your friends and rest for the next three days. In twenty-one days, the newest sacrifices shall arrive. I have their measurements. I want the inner and outer coffins ready before they arrive this time.”

“Yes Priestess. It shall be done. What of this unworthy one?” the servant asked as he pointed at Ward. He clearly want to punish the man for his betrayal.

“Punish him as you see fit. The only thing you cannot do is kill him.” Cordelia ordered. Then let a cruel smile grace her face. “Mummify him alive. Leave his eyes uncovered. Place him in the Temple. He shall serve as a warning to the others.”

Six of the eight men grabbed Ward off the ground and drug his unconscious body through the manor’s first floor. They traced their steps from earlier. Soon they were reentering the Priest Hole deep below the Manor. They would follow the High Priestess orders. Only they would take their time with Ward. They would not rush the mummification of her traitorous husband. They would also use the true forbidden arts for maleun 'uwnadd or the Cursed Undead. Ward Butler the Duke of Edinburgh would spend the rest of eternity as a living warning to those who would dare to cross the High Priestess.

Phantomhive Chelsea Manor, Saturday, 3rd September 1888: 05:45pm

Cecilia entered the manor with a smile on her face. Savanah stood waiting for her just inside the door. “Good evening, my Lady. I do hope that your visit with the Royal Society was able to bear fruit?”

“Yes and no, Savanah.” Cecilia answered as she removed her hat and gloves while Savanah stepped behind her to take her cloak. After waiting for Savanah to take her gloves Cecilia turned to her Maid. “What I learned from those men of science was both encouraging and disheartening at the same time.”

“How so, my Lady?” Savanah asked with real curiosity. Over the centuries Savanah had always found the human need to explain the world around through provable means ludicrous in the extreme. How does one explain magical power.

“It seems that we are not the only ones to have traveled through time. Remember that question I proposed about their being two factions within the Children working for deferent goals. Well, I was wrong. It is not two factions within the Children but two deferent organizations. One side working to change the timeline.” Cecilia sighed. “Then there is me. Working towards keeping the timeline intact.”

“How is this information helpful?” Savanah asked in bewilderment.

“It lets me know that there is another time traveler. One that is either working for or controlling the Children of Eternal Doom. Most likely controlling.” Cecilia answered as she walked towards the stairs. “How did your investigations fare?”

“I was able to acquire information on most of our foes, my Lady. The only one that stands out among them is the Lady Cordelia Butler, wife of Lord Ward Butler. There is absolutely nothing about the woman before four years ago. She is a complete mystery. All anyone knows of her is she married Lord Butler after a courtship of four months following his one year of morning for his first wife.” Savanah explained as she opened the door to Cecilia’s rooms. “Shall I draw you a bath while I fill you in on the rest of them, my Lady?”

“Yes please, Savanah. I feel as if I swam through a gutter for some reason.” Cecilia answered as she reached behind her undoing the first button of her dress. As Cecilia unbuttoned her dress Savanah started the water for her bath. “What were you able to find out about the others?”

“These are quite the collection of individuals, my Lady. I believe it is best to start with the men.” Savanah said as she stepped behind Cecilia to help her undress. “Until two years ago steel magnet and millionaire Sumner Stone was a lowly stock boy working for his Uncle. The young man was able to parlay a lucky streak at the horse track into a small fortune. A fortune that he was then able to use to steal control of his uncle’s steel mill. Sense then he has ruthlessly and totally crushed any opposition to his climb to power.”

“I see. Quite the little backstabbing bastard then.” Cecilia said as she climbed into the hot bath. “At any time was the Lady Cordelia in the young man’s presence?”

“She was in attendance the day he had his lucky streak at the horse races. Is this of note, my Lady?” Savanah asked as she started to wash Cecilia’s hair.

“Possibly. Please continue.” Cecilia asks.

“Yes, my Lady. Up next we have Gerard Read owner of the Northwestern coal mines. Until three years ago he was a small time mine owner. Over the course of the next three years has been able to seize control of all the Shetland Coal mines and fields. The rumors surrounding his acquisition for some of those mines is questionable. Though I believe that most are true. He is quite ruthless and for a human his greed rivals most Demon Princes.” Savanah chuckled.

“Ah yes, another greedy bastard for the masses. What of the last man? What we you able to dig up on him?” Cecilia asked as she relaxed back in the warm water.

“Sir Ruel Magrath owner of Federated arms manufacturer and Knight of the Realm. Apart from his ties to the other member of the Children of Eternal Doom. The man is excruciating honest. He inherited his arms factory five years ago following the death of his father. Until then he served with Distinction in Her Majesty’s forty-third Lancers.” Savanah sighed as finished her report on the one honorable man in the Children of Eternal Doom. “I fear my Lady that Sir Magrath really is an honorable man and may have been duped by the others in joining this folly.”

“I agree Savanah. I believe that he should be our next stop. If only to clear him from our suspect list.” Cecilia sighed then stood up to get out of the bath. “Savanah is Ceil joining us for diner?”

“No, my Lady. I received word that he and my brother have returned to the country estate. He let word that you are to consider the Chelsea manor as your home.” Savanah explained as she dried her Mistress.

“Then I’ll dine her in my rooms tonight Savanah. Unless we are expecting guests that I don’t know about?” Cecilia asked as she pulled on her robe.

“No, my Lady. We are alone for the night. Tomorrow though will be quite busy if we are to visit Sir Magrath and be back in time for your diner with the Police Commissioner.” Savanah answered as she checked a small datebook. “Shall I fetch your diner now or continue with my report?”

“Continue with your report, Savanah. I can wait a little longer for diner.” Cecilia answer before hiding a yawn behind her hand.

“Our last suspect is the Lady Bernice Hand. Three years ago, she inherited her late husband’s shipping firm. Through her connections in the House of Lords and the use of her considerable beauty she was able to build a rather small shipping firm consisting of just three fast steamers in a fleet of over twenty heavy cargo ships in just two years. The reports of her ships smuggling arms are confirmed. Though the actual smuggled arms were done under legal authority for the Ministry of Defense. It seems she was willing to smuggle arms to groups favorable to the Empire in contested territories. She also smuggled arms to groups that were less than favorable to the Empire. It seems that she is an equal opportunity supplier.” Savanah explained as she watched Cecilia walk around her room. “Of all out suspects outside of the Lady Cordelia, Lady Bernice is the most ruthless.”

“Whatever man said that women are the fairer sex is a damned fool. Any real scientist will tell you that the female of the species is always the deadlier.” Cecilia grunted before finally taking a seat in the chair by her tea table. “Okay Savanah we have our work cutout for us. Thank you for that report. Please bring my diner.”

“At once, my Lady.” Savanah said with a curtsy and left the room. Cecilia just looked out her bedroom window not really seeing the setting sun. Her thoughts were a hundred years in the future. She wondered how things would change if she let the Children of Eternal Doom succeed before extracting her revenge. As if summoned by her dark thoughts Savanah returned with a serving cart and her diner. “The future will not change the way you believe my Lady.”

“How so? Why not let these fools stop the First World War?” Cecilia asked sharply.

“Because that war all the factors that will bring it about are fixed points in time. Even if the Children of Eternal Doom can remove a few key factors the First World War will happen. Maybe not to the extent that currently will, but in all likely hood the devastation will be far greater. With far greater impact around the world.” Savanah said as she pushed the cart before her young Mistress. Lifting the cover off the tray Savanah merely smiled. “Eat your diner, my Lady. Growing young ladies need their vitamins.”

“Oh, go fuck yourself, Savanah.” Cecilia mumbled as she took up her knife and fork.

-----tbc-----

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Every action.......

D. Eden's picture

Has an equal and opposite reaction. It’s not just true in physics, but in all of life.

Every action we take has far reaching consequences. This is commonly referred to as the butterfly effect.

However, having said this, there is a certain momentum that must be taken into account. Changing one factor will of course have an impact on the vector of force, but although it will alter the direction or perhaps change the intensity, you cannot simply cancel out the totality of the result without cancelling out all the contributing factors.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Author pounds head on desk

wolfjess7's picture

D.Eden

I have always loved your insightful comments. You bring a certain college level of thought to my high school rumblings. But this last one sounds like something a Professor of Mathematics, Physics, Combinatorics would spout. Could you explain this in simple English that a GRUNT can understand.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Thru the Looking Glass Darkly

BarbieLee's picture

Talk about a dark and morbid chapter. Whew! Only dropped in on this one chapter and I'll pass on all previous and those that follow. Excellent writing skills. Telling of the tale isn't my thing. Yes the future may be changed. Have you ever precoged and was following the script as it unfolded only to realize you had been there done that? Change something, anything and the whole sequence of events as one had seen it changes. One other thing, time and material presence is not as fixed as one may believe. Of course none can be proven because that would mean one could do it on command instead of a blip in one's life cycle.
Hugs wolfjess
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

paradox

Snarfles's picture

Many physicists have attempted to work through this without success... You travel back in time and murder your grandfather... the result being that you are not born, thus cannot go back in time and your grandfather lives, you are born and can now go back in time.... The only solution to this conundrum is to accept multiple parallel existences, wherein your time travel not only places you in the past, but in a past existence where you would not come to be born. Thus the grandfather you murder is not the precise one resulting in your birth, rather just one of an infinite number of alternate versions of your grandfather.

Another point to consider is that any action taken in the past has (from your perspective) already occurred, the results of which have already taken place, and is therefore REQUIRED to be repeated in a closed loop of time; resulting in NO discernable change to the 'present'. This gives rise to the conclusion that time is an illusion. All decisions (choices) have already been made, each choice causing a doubling of infinity (or more, dependent upon the number of variables for each choice), Leaving time as merely where along a given decision tree our perception has reached.

Finally, this brings us to 'The Observer Effect' wherein reality does not exist until it is seen, first demonstrated in the early 1900's with the dual slit experiment, repeated in the late 1950's, where photons passing through parallel slits did not behave as predicted when observed. Another experiment was conducted by observing photons in a vacuum. Initially totally random as predicted, but with human DNA present in a container inside the vacuum, the photons behaved differently, forming into nearly identical patterns matching the DNA. The experiment was taken a step further, by introducing an emotional component. Negative emotions caused the DNA in the vacuum to contract inward, tightening its spirals, with a corresponding result in the photons, while positive emotions caused the DNA to relax, again with corresponding action of the photons. Mind you, there was NO physical connection between the items being observed. The emotions were introduced from approximately 15 feet away, the photons were inside a vacuum chamber of glass from which all matter (other than the small capsule of DNA) had been removed, and no variation of known energy was detected.

There is so much more, but this should sufficiently frazzle enough minds for now.

Sits back and bangs head on desk.

wolfjess7's picture

THANKS!!! Gunny you have successfully FRAGGED what little was left of my brain after D. Eden’s comment. Please I’m a simple Ground Recon Unit Not Trailable. (G.R.U.N.T.)

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf