Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 382.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Bleeding After Worming Bonzi.
by: Angharad
part:382zillion.

I lay on the bed trying to breathe, I began to understand how a fish felt out of water, all this air and yet I could hardly breathe. I was gasping and beginning to get frightened. I knew that to panic would make me hyperventilate, and that would make things worse. I tried to pause and breathe deeply, then pause and exhale. It was so hard, my heart was pounding and I felt very afraid; like I was drowning on dry land.

"That's the doorbell," said Simon and he disappeared re-emerging a couple of moments later with a stranger, who I presumed was a doctor.

"Hi, I'm Dr Wainwright, let's have a look at you." He paused and watched me gasping for air. Then he listened to my chest and and heart. "Do you get asthma?"

I shook my head and Simon told him about my two recent hospitalisations following the stabbing.

"Have you unpacked your case?" asked the young doctor and I shook my head. "Good, take it with you, I'm going to readmit you."

I groaned but couldn't answer enough to argue. Simon tried to, but the young man dismissed his arguments.

"Your wife is going to become increasingly ill if she stays here."

"I only just got her home."

"Sorry, but that's too bad. I refuse to accept responsibility for her, can I use your phone?"

He followed Simon out of the room and I heard him say, "Hi, it's Dr Wainwright here, I'm readmitting someone you sent home today, I'll give her a note - yes, severe breathing difficulties. Don't bother sending her home until she's properly better. That's your problem, look I'm just doing my job and keeping people alive is one of them. Send me an ambulance, now, yes it's very urgent. Good, I'll wait here then. Bye."

He came back into the room, "Right, young lady, I'm readmitting you by ambulance. You are not to move a muscle or attempt to talk. I estimate your lungs are half full of fluid, whether we have another bleed, I don't know, it might just be water. You need to be examined somewhere where they can make that differential diagnosis. Do you understand me?"

I nodded and kept gasping. This was so much hard work, no wonder people died from respiratory disease, it was such hard work simply breathing.

Simon looked at me and I felt myself begin to weep, it was silent, I didn't have the energy or breath to cry as well. I just felt, frightened and disappointed. The chances of getting to France were so remote now. Be just my luck for Millar or Cavendish to win the bloody tour now.

I saw the blue lights flickering in the driveway and a couple of minutes later two paramedics appeared. They spoke with the doctor. I was fitted with an oxygen mask and lifted onto a stretcher chair, they kept me upright to ease my breathing, then I was unceremoniously carted down the stairs and into the 'van'.

I felt very dreamy, and although the paramedic sat in the back of the van with me, spoke to me, reassuring me, it all seemed unreal. Maybe I was ill?

Despite the oxygen, I began to feel very sleepy and by the time I was rushed into A&E, I was mostly out of it. I didn't feel the drips or the catheter being inserted, nor remember them moving me up to a ward sometime later.

I do recollect waking up and being able to breathe somewhat easier. I missed the tour, I was still in hospital. Stella would record it on a DVD and bring it into me, I played it on my laptop, so I was always a day behind. Cavendish won four stages, we'd have seen at least one if I hadn't died.

Dr Kelly was charged with sorting me out, his consultant was abroad on holiday - if he was watching the TdF, I was going to kill him when he got back.

I suppose the only consolation was that the month of July was one of the wettest and nastiest on record, so even if I'd been home or working, I wouldn't have been able to ride my bikes - it was too wet and at times very windy.

They talked about discharging me a couple of times, until Simon spoke loudly about litigation if I wasn't fixed this time. I was getting some exercise in the gym using the stationary bike and also a treadmill. Both made me feel as if I should never be able to run or ride like I did before, ever again. However, the physio in charge, a nice guy named Ahmed, reassured me that I should return to full fitness in time. When I asked how long, he shrugged and suggested the 'piece of string' answer.

I asked if I could bring in my own bike and a set of rollers, but it was refused, it wasn't standard equipment. I was getting problems with the bike, it was hurting my knees - being less than properly set up for me unlike my own bikes. So I began to use the treadmill each day and after that, running around the hospital grounds when it didn't rain.

By the time I left the hospital, I could run for nearly an hour although I still became breathless, it was a normal sort of post exertion type of breathlessness. I couldn't wait to sit on a real bike again, this time knowing, I really was recovering. I also promised myself that I'd watch as much of next year's tour as I could.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Realistic

Quite a good description. I tried to think of a simile that conveyed it better and couldn't. Drowning in air, 'cause that's what you are doing, drowning as your lungs fill while surrounded by the breath of life.

Glad the doctor insisted, only sensible thing to do. How the h*** did she get out in the first place?

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

My younger sister nearly died from pneumonia

A single lung, minor infection became a life threatening double pneumonia and over a week in hospital and a nebulizer still almost five years later because the bean counters made the doctors guess which strain and her antibiotic was the wrong one.

She has a serious risk of dying in her sixties from obstructive lung disease or something like that as a result. I want to strangle the bastards. A wonderful employee at the bank lost her husband to bone cancer despite his going to the doctor multiple times complaining about leg pain for a year or more. He was athletic and in his mid thirties.

“Oh its just twinge of arthritis or bursitis from over use, your getting older.”

He complained several more times and they refused to test.

Finally, a year or so later it was ”You have stage three/four metastatic cancer, why didn’t you complain earlier?”

He died last year leaving a 38 year old widow with young children.

I LOVE insurance companies and hospital admins.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Unfortunately doctors do get it wrong

far to often.My brother is terminal with stage 4 breast cancer now.20 years ago a Doctor performed a mastectomy and removed part of one of his breast.The good Doctor knew he didn't get it all but failed to inform my brother or my mom.Now twenty years later it's back with a vengeance and is destroying his bones and his other breast.Chemo isn't working his weight keeps dropping and it looks like we're going to lose him in a most horrible slow painful way.So please question and requestion a Doctors opinion as it could save your life.Also do check your breasts for tumors and if you spot something seek treatment asap.Most men get breast cancer in the 60's or seventies but my brother got his in his twenties and I also know of another person who got it so young.Angharad you deserve more than three comments for this chapter and all your work.As a reader sometimes it's been a tough journey (Cathy's stabbing mainly)but it's been a trip I'd take again.Amy "May your pen never run out of ink and your brain out of ideas"

I'm Glad

you whizzed through that recovery stage -- it was getting depressing. I've been sick and it's no fun. On with the 'fun' part!

You and I (and all of us) have to hang in at least until Cathy and Simon tie the knot. After that, you can let us all **imagine** the "happily ever after" part if you like.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

The clock

The clock is moving quickly forward. Soon we will be in sync with the year again. I still would like to know how the other things worked out, though Cathy's in no shape to find out herself.

Third times the charm !

Not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but how many Saudi Princes fly to England for the Socialized Medicine. This patient would not have been discharged twice in a Boston hospital (the Mecca of medicine). If they were, Lady Muck would OWN them by now! We like to sue on this side of the Pond ! Understand her feeling exactly, you are drowning without being in water.Had pneumonia once, I waited too long before going to emergency, was nip and tuck for a while.
Viagra would help (yes, the blue pill !.this is what it really was invented for)
Poor Cathy, having to go through this three times !

Cefin