Sixty is not that old - Part 24 Finale

Printer-friendly version

Michel and Delphine returned to their Devon retreat by train later that afternoon. It had been a long day. Neither of them was in the mood for much small-chat on the train.

Despite the latest episode with her daughters coming to an end, Delphine was still pretty down in the dumps. She would not admit it but the attempt by her daughters to have her declared unfit to manage her life hit her very hard. The effect of seeing them face to face in Verity’s Office was very real and impossible to brush off. Michel was there with her all the way but he knew that it was going to take some time for his wife to return to anywhere near normal.

For the trip to London and after Verity’s suggestion, Delphine had taken her corset off. For over a week after she showed absolutely no inclination to put it on again.

Michel was very patient with his wife and slowly but surely, she began to take an interest in life again. Despite his offers, it was almost a month before she joined him at the Farmers Market.

That worked wonders for her mental state. It all started when a couple of people remarked that they hadn’t seen her on the stall for a while. By the end of trading, Delphine was starting to interact with people on her own. Michel stood back and watched her start to live again. He was not going to be fooled though, he knew that he had a lot of hard work ahead.


After a few more fairly fruitless days when the weather was dull and overcast and Delphine sank back into almost a sulk, Michel decided that he needed help. This was not like him but being generally self-sufficient in life for almost a decade was one thing but, now he had someone else to think about besides himself.

While he was out on the first of two delivery trips for the day, he called the two women he knew who could help him in his hour of need, his daughter Gabrielle and Maxine. Both said that they were on their way. Maxine was waiting for him at the bottom of the lane up to the Smallholding by the time he had completed his deliveries. She'd been visiting her Mother in Bristol at the time.

“I didn’t expect you so soon?”

“I was halfway here already and as I’m the boss, it was easy to turn right rather than left and here I am when I left my Mothers.”

Michel spent almost an hour updating Maxine on what had happened and the effect that it had had on his wife.

“She feels utterly betrayed by her daughters and is questioning her parenting right to the core," said Maxine.

“I had not thought of it that way. You could be right.”

“Then Delphine could do with some female company that she can trust.”

Michel smiled.

“That’s why I called you and my daughter.”

Maxine’s face lit up.
“When is she coming over?”

“She’s on the ferry from Roscoff tomorrow morning. She should be here by late afternoon.”

“Good. That gives me time to think. I have an idea. Leave things to me. I’ll be back in the morning. Can you pretend that we didn’t meet today?”

“The element of surprise?”

“That’s it.”

"Thanks, Maxine. If you and Gabrielle pull this off then I owe you big time."

“Nonsense Michel. Just seeing the two of you happy again is more than payment enough understand?”

"Thanks, Maxine. You are one hell of a woman."

His last statement pleased Maxine no end. Her visit to her Mother’s had not been all sweetness and light. Her sister Dawn, had caused quite a scene when Maxine and her mother were out shopping in Bristol. Dawn had broadcast to the world that Maxine was an impostor and was actually her brother in drag and should be taken away and seen to. Only the intervention of the Police had stopped her tirade of hate. They’d taken Dawn away in handcuffs still mouthing off at everyone and everything.

Maxine had spent an uncomfortable few hours at the Police Station explaining the history behind Dawn’s outburst. Thankfully, her Mother and Sally Jameson were on hand to back up her story. Dawn was charged with disturbing the Police and was in line to get a CBO[1] banning her from the centre of the City for the next year. When Maxine, her mother and Sally left the Police Station, they could still hear Dawn mouthing off at the Police. The diversion to Devon had provided a welcome distraction to the thorny subject of her sister.

Maxine left Michel and headed for the Hotel that she part-owned. She had a room always reserved for her at the establishment. After a brief conversation with her co-owners, Belinda and Nina, Maxine, got down to work with the help of Nina who had given her an idea for bringing Delphine out of her depression.

After two hours, they had a solution all worked out. She texted Gabrielle who was driving from Paris to Roscoff. Gabrielle was finding that it was farther than she’d thought and was having a break not far from the Mont St Michel when Maxine’s text arrived.

Gabrielle texted back her agreement to the plan almost immediately. The idea that Maxine had proposed was perfect in her opinion. It made the rest of the journey a whole lot more enjoyable. While she was stopped for that break, she booked a hotel in the picturesque town of Morlaix. That was half an hour away from the Ferry Port of Roscoff where she’d catch the ferry to Plymouth the next morning.

By the time she arrived at the Hotel, Maxine had updated her with more details of the plan. Gabrielle responded saying, ‘can’t wait for tomorrow’.


Early the following afternoon, Maxine drove up the lane that led to Michel’s Smallholding. She saw Michel working on his Poly Tunnel. There was no sight of Delphine. She waved at Michel who returned the greeting. Then he took off his work gloves and started walking towards the cottage.

“This is a surprise,” said Michel.
“What are you doing here?”

“Verity called me and said that if I was in the area, it might be nice to drop in to see how you were getting on.”

“Come on into the Kitchen, Delphine is in there.”

Michel led the way into the kitchen.
Delphine was sitting at the table staring into space.

“We have a visitor,” said Michel.

“Oh shit. I must look a right state.”

“It really does not matter,” said a voice from behind Michel.

“Maxine? What are you doing here?”

Maxine smiled.

"As I just said to Michel, Verity was a bit worried about you. It seems that you have not replied to her text or phone calls?"

Delphine just shrugged her shoulders.

“Anyway, I was down here and I told her that I’d drop by and see how you were. She told me what happened.”

Delphine couldn’t look at her.

Maxine sat down and took Delphine’s hands in hers. Michel slowly backed out of the Kitchen leaving the two of them alone.

“Verity told me that you have been through the wringer. Much like me really. My dear sister gave me a real verbal slagging off the other day right outside M&S in Bristol. I was with our Mother doing a bit of shopping. She laid right into me, no holds barred. Shouted that I was really a bloke in drag and that I needed to be taken away and seen to.”

Delphine looked up at Maxine.

“What happened?”

“Someone called the Police who arrested her and took her away. I had to make a long and detailed statement about my history and relationship with my sister. She has compounded her problems by striking one of the officers and will be up before a judge. It is all over social media but thankfully, no names have been mentioned yet. So, when Verity called me yesterday, I had this idea.”

Delphine showed very little reaction.

“I’ve booked us into a spa for a load of pampering. Just us. No men and certainly no blood relatives of yours allowed. What do you think eh?”

Delphine again, showed very little reaction.

“Come on my girl. There are times when families can be the worst invention in the world but thankfully, there are places that are a haven where we can go to relax, be pampered and forget about the big bad world outside.”

This time Delphine looked up.

“I don’t want to be a bother.”

“My dear friend, this won’t be a bother. It will be a pleasure.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sitting here saying, so aren’t I?”

“When? When do you want to go?”

“Right now. No time to waste.”

“I don’t know. Michel…?”

“Michel says to go,” came a slightly stern voice from just outside the doorway.

“Think of it as a reboot to your new life. A cleansing to be out with the old and in with the new,” said Maxine.

“I’d better go and pack. I suppose we’ll have to dress up and all that?”

“I don’t know,” said Maxine with a wink aimed at Michel.
“Bring some nice stuff just in case. The weather forecast is good so we can get out onto the moor for some girls only walks. Exercise, pampering, good food and great company… What more do you need eh?”

Delphine looked at her husband.
“Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“Go. Go with Maxine and forget about what happened in London.”

“I’ll try.”

“Good. I’ll help you with your packing,” said Maxine.

As the two of them disappeared to pack a few clothes for Delphine, Michel sat down feeling very relieved.


Two hours later, Maxine pulled up outside their home for the next week.

“This is very posh isn’t it?”

“We are special people. Can’t we splash out for once?”

“But…”

“No more buts Delphine. This is all on me. Whatever you want.”

She didn’t wait for an answer but got out and started to unload the car. Just then another car pulled up alongside Maxine’s.

Gabrielle got out and embraced Delphine.
"Hello, Mama."

For the first time since the day that Delphine and Michel returned from their Honeymoon, she managed a smile.

“What are you doing here?”

“Looking forward to spending some quality time with my new Mama. Is that so bad?”

Delphine looked at Maxine as if to say, ‘this is a stitch up’.

“My Papa needed some help to get the lovely woman he fell in love with back. Who better than us to help out eh?”

Delphine started to cry. Her healing had started.


At the end of the week, none of the trio wanted to leave the Spa. As promised, they’d been pampered, massaged and fed extremely well. They’d also done a fair bit of walking over Dartmoor. By some strange quirk of fate, they found themselves back at the pub where just a few short weeks before, they’d all been together for the Wedding Dinner. This time Delphine was able to eat her fill thanks to the total absence of her corset.

“I still feel naked,” she complained towards the end of the week.

That earned her a big hug from Gabrielle and Maxine.

Both of them had been updating Michel as to how the rehab progress was going. He was very happy indeed.

The scene in the car park as they left the Spa was everything that any of them could have hoped for.

“Thank you so much. I feel much more like my old self now,” said Delphine.

“That is all I hoped for Mama,”

Delphine had taken some time to get used to Gabrielle calling her ‘Mama’.

"I'm not your real mother and don't you ever forget her understand," said Delphine firmly.

“You are the only Mother I have at the moment and I don’t like seeing you sad,” replied Gabrielle.

“As for you Maxine… How can I ever hope to repay you?”

Maxine grinned.
“Just make Michel a happy man that is all I want in repayment. And… I don’t want to hear another word about it… ever!”

Delphine hugged them both and shed a tear. This time they were tears of happiness not, sadness and dejection.


Gabrielle took Delphine back to the Smallholding. Michel had prepared a simple but lovely meal for them but to his dismay, neither of them could eat very much.

“We have been eating very well this week and we will both need to get back in training,” said Gabrielle.

It took Michel a moment to understand. Then he laughed and hugged the two most important people in his life. For once, he got all bleary-eyed. This was very unlike Michel.

Once Gabrielle had left to catch the overnight Ferry from Plymouth back to Roscoff, Michel and Delphine just sat outside the cottage in the late afternoon sun.

“It is good to be back,” said Delphine.

“It is good to have you back my darling.”

As the sun dropped behind the trees, Delphine led Michel up the stairs and to bed.


[late October]

"That Is everything," said Delphine as she loaded the last of her clothes into the Land Rover. Michel has been taking loads of things to their new home. Tonight would be the first night that they would spend there.

Their home was still one big room. Neither of them wanted to build a wall to split up the large space. The only rooms were the toilet, bathroom and a utility room otherwise it was one big space.

“Give me an hour to unload the Rover and then once you have rounded up the birds for the night, you can come up. I have a little surprise for you so no peeking!”

“I won’t,” said Delphine with a cheeky grin on her face.

The past three weeks had seen Delphine return to much more like her old self. She’d resumed wearing her corset and was well on the way towards achieving her target of a 20in waist. Michel measured her every few days. He was pleased that the determination to do that ‘for herself’ had returned.

[two hours later]

“I’m here,” shouted Delphine as she entered their new home. All the necessary items from the Cottage were there welcoming her.

“Come on in my darling,” said Michel.
He popped open a bottle of Champagne and poured them both a glass.

“To us!” he said as a toast.

“To us!” replied Delphine.

All the time, she was looking around for her surprise.

“It is there. Right in the middle of the floor. Just like you described in your diary for… Ah yes, February 2014.”

“What? You can’t be serious?”
“Why not? It was one of your fantasies. Non?”

Delphine put down her glass and wandered over to the item.

“I’d have to be properly dressed you know? For me to demonstrate it in its best light.”

“You are so right my darling. Why not look at what’s on the bed?”

On the bed were a brand-new pair of stockings and a pair of red heels.

Delphine picked one up.

Michel could see that she was excited. Her tell was a little vein in the side of her neck. It would pulse rapidly when she was like this.

“When did these come?”

“I had them delivered to Maxine at the Hotel. I collected them the other day when I was making a delivery.”

In her hand was one of a pair of Louboutin Heels. Red and with at least a 4in heel.

“Thank you my darling.”

Without waiting for any instruction, Delphine stripped off down to her corset. Then she removed the pair of stockings that she was wearing and put the new ones on. With them secured to the suspenders that were attached to her corset, she slipped into the heels.

“Perfect,” she said with a huge grin on her face.

Then she went over to a set of drawers that were up against the wall of the house and removed a deep red velvet-covered box.

“It is time my darling.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“This is the perfect time for me to show the world that I’m yours, forever.”

She handed him the box.

Michel removed the collar that had been inscribed with her words even if the French grammar was not perfectly correct stating that she was giving herself to him but the meaning was clear.

He placed it around her neck and clicked home the lock. She visibly shuddered with excitement.

Then he took the two chains from the case and attached one end to each very erect nipple and the other end to the collar.

“How does it look?”

“It leaves very little to the imagination.”

Delphine smiled and gave him a long kiss.

“That is the idea.”

Then she went up to his surprise and began to wrap herself around it. Somehow he'd managed to find a pole that Delphine could ‘dance’ around. Pole Dancing had been one of her many fantasies that were described in great detail in her diaries.

More than once on that first night, Delphine lost her grip on the pole and fell in a heap on the floor. Both of them laughed at her misfortune. Delphine shook herself off and tried again. Michel noticed that steely look she had when she first let him lace up her corset for him had returned. That pleased him no end.

“Is this your next challenge?” asked Michel.

“It could be but it is for your eyes only.”

Then she took his hand and led them towards their bed.

“Now that you have had some fun at my expense, don’t you think it is time to entertain me?”

Michel grinned.

Michel woke up the next morning to find a still sleeping Delphine cuddled up to him. They had made love for what seemed like hours before they finally fell asleep.

He looked at her and thought,
“At this moment, I am the luckiest man alive. Lucky to have this crazy, mad and very eccentric woman in my life.”

[the end]

[1] CBO – Criminal Behaviour Order. The successor to ASBO’s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour_order

[authors note]
I hope you like my tale of a love story between two rather older people than normal. It all came from two short exercises that were part of a creative writing weekend in January 2020 at West Dean, Chichester, UK.
Delphine and Michel will appear in some future episodes of 'The Forsythe Saga'.

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Out of Your Comfort Zone

BarbieLee's picture

Sam as per usual your writing is tops. An excellent story but if this story was a car you had water in the gas. Not your usual smooth flow of story line. You pushed to get this one out. My problem I'm not into True Romance, not my thing. This makes me the wrong person to be critiquing your story.
Hugs Sweety, don't pay any attention to me on this one. I'm out of my element here.
Barb
Life is meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

re: out of my element here

Barbie,
The same could be said for me on this one. I had zero ideas as to where it would go when I wrote the opening scene where Vivienne gets up on the morning of her birthday. Later that day, I wrote the outline of the birthday party encounter and that was it... I was hooked on her as a character.
For someone who had been so independent to change in the way she did might have been OTT in the romance department but it seemed to work.
I will always value your comments so don't feel afraid to keep them coming.

Samantha

Love IS

Sara Selvig's picture

Love IS. Nicely told. Thank you.

Happily I shall never suffer from such children ... all of my brood know that my well is not that deep. Hopefully, I shall never become a burden on them financially, but I, most assuredly, will never be viewed as their cornucopia.

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

Thanks

for the kind words Dorothy Colleen.
Much appreciated.

Samantha

whilst

Maddy Bell's picture

it was nice to see some loose ends tidied up, like Barb I feel a bit cheated. What was the corsettierres solution to the escaping boobs? is Gabrielle corseting now that she's dating said maker? Will Delphine take pole dancing classes? they are quite popular you know!

All that said, all good things must end at some point, its been quite entertaining whilst its lasted.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Good points

Isn't it amazing what others see in a story or a picture that's totally oblivious to the author/artist?
Gabrielle is dating Henri and Delphine's pole dancing is strictly for Michel's eyes only.
This story is over 86000 words long. That's a good length in my eyes. :) :) :)
Smiles.

Thanks for the comments,
Samantha

Pole Dancing

Pole dancing (not to be confused with Polonaise, Mazurka, Varsovienne, Kujawiak, Krakowiak or Polka Podlaska) is not necessarily erotic. It can be quite fun. I had a trial lesson and would have continued if not my shoulder had troubled me for other reasons.

PS
Thank you for the story

I have to wonder

how long it will take the two harpies to miss their mother.

A new crime ...

,,, or a Freudian slip? -- "disturbing the Police" instead of disturbing the peace

Although the former might might be accurate in some rural areas.