The Road to Haifa - Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

The Road to Haifa
Chapter 16 — Boker Tov Haifa
by Alyssa Plant 
“I guess they didn’t get chance to change my medical records yet,” she mumbled.
Looking up from her toes as she sat dangling her legs off the side of the bed, she caught an expression of shock, suspicion and confusion on the nurse's face.
“You mean to tell me you are David Yakobavitch?” asked the nurse incredulously.
“Err, I was. I know my military record says Sarah now.”
The nurse looked at her for a moment mentally processing what was being said.

Chapter 16 — Boker Tov Haifa

The trip from the Blackhawk to the base hospital was a blur for Sarah. The pressure of the week had been too much, even for one as trained as she was. This was in no manual.

“Hello Corporal?”

Sarah snapped awake, there was a nurse standing before her as she dozed lightly in the small curtained examination area of the base hospital.

“Hmm” Sarah mumbled rubbing her eyes, “Sorry, its just been a long day.” She grimaced at the nurse.

“Well we totally understand my dear, we just need to give you a quick exam before we clear you and you can get some proper rest. Can you strip down for me please?”

The topic that had been tactically shoved into the dark recess of Sarah’s brain popped up again.

“Err, have you seen my medical records?”

This time it was the nurse’s turn to frown; “No, I think there is a file mix-up. Do you have a brother in the forces?”

Sarah blushed, “No.”

“Oh,” exclaimed the nurse, shuffling her clipboard thoughtfully. “Paper mix-up I guess,” she shrugged, “Come on then, lets get this over with so you can get some rest, huh?”

“The papers you have…” Sarah began, “Are probably the correct ones.”

The nurse chuckled and smiled. “I don’t quite think you are a David my dear.”

“I guess they didn’t get chance to change my medical records yet,” she mumbled.

Looking up from her toes as she sat dangling her legs off the side of the bed. She caught an expression of shock, suspicion and confusion on the nurse's face.

“You mean to tell me you are David Yakobavitch?” asked the nurse incredulously.

“Err, I was. I know my military record says Sarah now.”

The nurse looked at her for a moment mentally processing what was being said.

“I’ll go find the doctor,” she exclaimed, as if this was some amazing solution, leaving Sarah alone in the examination room.

Sighing, Sarah wagged her legs back and forwards and tried to think of a way to explain to the doctor.

“Corporal Yakobavitch?”

Sarah looked up to see an older doctor with Major’s rank on his collar.

“Yes?” she replied, wondering what the man would think of her when she explained.

“Colonel Mathias has explained your situation to me. I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner, you completely confused one of my staff nurses ….” He smiled.

“What has he told you?” she asked in a tiny voice.

“Well, he explained that you were transgender, and considering when he told me you had begun your transition, I’m somewhat surprised by meeting you. Can you tell me what medication you are on?”

“Err, none?” Sarah replied slowly looking confused. “I haven’t had chance to see a doctor about this yet, or really how to ….” She trailed off.

“Hrm, Well I need to make sure you’re healthy and fighting fit at the moment. You took quite a drop from a helicopter, and the various actions I was told very little about. But I'd like to refer you to a friend after this is dealt with, He is an expert in this field, and I would like him to perform some tests on the side, too. Check for biological abnormalities. You don’t really look like a David at all.” He chuckled.

“That’s the second time I’ve been told that today,” Sarah replied, smiling weakly. “How is Maritza?”

“Well she’s okay. She just needs some rest like you. But I know nothing of the situation, was there some sort of accident? I know her parents are in another ward here being checked over by people beyond my pay grade.”

Breathing a sigh of relief, she smiled, “Well it was an accident of sorts, but like you know, I can’t tell you … or they will have to kill me.”

Smirking, the doctor nodded knowingly. “Can we get this over with then? I'd like to get you in a bed as soon as possible. As far as I can see, your main requirement is sleep.”

Grudgingly, Sarah began to strip from the jumpsuit she had been loaned on arrival. Hming and Ahing the doctor poked and prodded and tested her till he was satisfied she was in good health.

Redressing, Sarah was lead from the hospital and escorted to a IAF Gulfstream waiting on the flight line at the naval base.

As she boarded, Sarah was greeted by the faces of her team-mates. The sergeant, Zoni, Ari, and Thomas were aboard all similarly attired in flight suits.

“Hey.” Smiled Ari as he saw her board the aircraft. “They done poking and prodding you?”

Sarah nodded tiredly and slumped into the seat beside him, too tired to wonder about her team-mates or whether she truly loved Ari, or the implications. She leant against his shoulder and dozed off to sleep.

“Hey. Wake up, sleepyhead.”

Sarah woke to find that they had landed.

“Why didn’t you wake me up sooner?” she moaned groggily as she stretched in her seat, rather annoyed to have slept through the entire flight.

“You looked so peaceful, and it was kinda nice having you asleep on me.”

Ari’s reply made Sarah blush deeply. “Sorry,” she muttered, looking away.

“Hey you, look at me…” Ari said sternly touching Sarah’s cheek.

As she turned towards him, he drew her into a hug, and placed a kiss on her forehead.

“I know we have been friends for so long. I forget the exact number of years, but believe me when I say this… Sarah Yakobavitch… I love you.”

A lump grew in Sarah’s throat as she heard the man who had been a friend for so many years, and had been her closest ally in her coming out. The three last words broke the dam, and she dissolved into tears on his shoulder.

“I love you too.” She choked looking up into his eyes. Sarah felt her inhibitions melt away as he held her in his arms. Her gender, sexuality, her being felt complete, resolved…

Stretching up, she placed a kiss on his lips. A faint brush that was returned equally.

Sparks flew around her brain as their lip touched; at the pressure of his tongue on her lips, she parted them and melted under his kiss.

“This is going to be awkward for you.” She mumbled dreamily. “I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“Why?” Ari asked, caressing her cheek.

“You know… my being transsexual …. I don’t want you to suffer because of me.”

Frowning Ari shook his head. “Nobody can say anything to make me love you less. Just remember what gramps said…. Fuck em. You look like a girl, think like a girl, feel like a girl; to me, you are nothing but a girl, hell, you even kiss like one.” He grinned.

Ari’s final words made Sarah blush. As he was the first person she had kissed. She had never felt the desire to before now. There was nothing wrong; he was right. He was a man, and she was a woman. This was natural, simple, right…

Descending the steps of the Gulfstream, Sarah was blinded by the light outside. Gripping Ari’s hand tightly, she followed him to the waiting helicopter for the final leg of their return to their home base.

On the final leg, it was clear to their team-mates what had transpired on the Gulfstream. The sergeant grinned slyly whenever Sarah caught his eye. She knew that while he was happy for her, he would never ever tell her so. They would get digs from the rest of the team, but she knew that it would never be hurtful. The one thing Sarah worried about was her future on the team: Her relationship with Ari, and her gender made things complicated. The unit was largely left to its own way of running things, but IDF command did keep some rules, she was sure one of the two would leave Sayeret Matkal soon. She was adamant that it would be her. She would not hurt Ari’s career.

From the author: A short chapter admittedly, but I promise to post more tomorrow…. It just felt a good place to end it.

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More appreciated

Both now and tomorrow. I love the way this is going. The PM's wife, and now the major are both in her corner and looking for answers and help for her. What a lucky girl!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Short and sweet

Short is not a bad thing when done well, this was done well.

I still am pulling for her being intersexed and a genetic girl, IE snip snip stitch stitch and we have a complete woman, just that no one ever told her. Maritza would be thrilled as she already sees Sarah as her older sister/best friend. Ari, well, he'd be thrilled. David/Susan deserves some happiness for all his/her hard work and suffering.

I wonder was this just a tiny money driven kidnapping plot or part of something bigger? Is this just the

-- Cliché warning! --

*calm before the storm* or is it truly a time of relative peace in the region?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

As ever, Alyssa,

this is superb. I could go on with more superlatives but what's the point? You are one of the writers that I try to measure up to - without success.

Please give us more, but only when you're ready.

Susie

natural, simple, right...

laika's picture

Short but oh so sweet. Things seem to be going so smoothly for Sarah,
I suspect her next battle might not involve guns or rocket launchers
but red tape, some sourpuss apparatchik with an agenda.
Although she certainly has allies in high places...
~~hugs, Laika

Road To Haifa, Now I Wonder

What you have in store for Sarah? She is s sweet young woman with a special guy that loves her. It will be interesting to see where you take this story. Considering the fact that she saved Maritza and her family, she has no need to worry.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Actually she have a reason to worry about

While IDF police allows transgender (and even transsexuals ) to serve in their appropriate gender its a long though road till the military accept the individual request.

Plus some quick note : the IDF rarely sends Blackhawks for logistic mission ( AKA moving group A to place B , when both A and B aren't hostile) simply because its on of the most expensive choppers to get in the air ( For this kind of thing the would raise a cobra or even a Yasor {that will consume less fuel due to it's lack of weapons and ammunition})

Anyway I am quite taken by Maritza name, as its not that common in here ( well I haven't stumbled upon it ... yet).

P.S sorry for the PM stanman , wrong button :|

Glad you snuck in...

... the bit about "quite a fall" from the chopper.

Well done, and yes, there ARE still some "loose ends" to clear up...

Annette

Touching Piece! ^^

Made me so wish I was Sarah!! I felt Ari holding me at the end. You moved me Alyssa... please please please keep this going!

Love

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Short but Sweet

terrynaut's picture

This was a nice chapter. Like some others (in real life and in the story), I can't help think but Sarah could be a woman with an extra part. I hope my suspicion is confirmed soon.

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

It was worth the wait Thank

It was worth the wait
Thank you
have a great weekend
Jessica

The Road to Haifa - Chapter 16

Glad to see Sarah and Ari confessing their true feelings.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine