We Are Made of Stardust Chapter 4 & 5 (final two chapters)

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 4

On Thursday morning the school's lobby was more crowded and louder than normal. It was the day before the prom and everyone wanted to tell anyone else who would listen about their plans. The lobby was filled with the energy of the promise of tomorrow being the time of their lives. None of Joy's classmates were hoping tomorrow night was going to be more than expected; they all believed that they knew the prom would exceed expectations. The prom was going to be magical, how could it not? Tomorrow night was going to be filled with good times amongst close friends to form memories that they felt would last a lifetime.

The only person who was immune to the effects of the upcoming night of ecstasy was Joy. Joy arrived early to school, got a ride in from her father, for the same reason the energy was filling the air, to talk about the prom. Unlike the rest of the teenagers surrounding her, Joy wanted a specific audience, Ziggy. She wanted to do the discussion about the prom at school instead of the bus on the way there to give herself time to come up with the right words. Instead of just wanting to talk to anyone, Joy needing to talk with a special someone put a damper on her being able to be connected to the energy.

The reason Joy needed to talk to Ziggy was that last night was the first time her best friend did not return her call. Ziggy sending a text to answer her question left her in a daze and only the light of hearing her best friend's voice could lift it. Ziggy knew Joy inquiring about if they were still on for breakfast on Saturday was just a pretense to what the call was really about. That she wanted and needed to talk to him. Joy needed to make things right between them and Ziggy was not giving her the chance.

Then Joy felt that buzz that was in the air as her Zigs entered the school. It was different than the little tingle she felt every time she saw her best friend. She started to think about their breakfast on Saturday. Thinking of how much enjoyment they have over a shared meal, fixed the broken part of the conduit which connected them. All in the lobby know knew they were going to have the fairytale night which everyone deserves at the prom. The prom turning out better than a John Hughes teenage flix was a guarantee.

Ziggy had a pep in his step, a smile on his face, and waved as he passed by Joy. As quickly as that conduit was fixed, it became broken again. This was not supposed to be. Ziggy and Joy always hung out before school. This felt as wrong and uncomfortable to Joy as wearing a bra two cup sizes too small.

Joy called out, "Hey there Zigs, why didn't you call me back yesterday?"

Ziggy kept on walking as he said, "I was busy, so I just texted you the answer."

The vague 'I was busy' was a bad sign to Joy. She knew that each of them always made time for the other unless there was no way possible. If that was true,then the reason why would be shared. Not wanting her time with Ziggy to end, Joy tried to stretch out the conversation by asking him, "Where are you going?"

Ziggy then stopped and said, "I need to talk with Mr Foreman. I have a chance to get the George Westinghouse Scholarship. Talk to you later."

Hearing those words made the lobby feel as crowded and loud as an NFL Stadium on a Sunday in May to Joy. It harkens back to when she was the new kid and having no idea what the future held. If Ziggy was offered and accepted that exclusive scholarship that meant he had to go to CMU instead of Villanova. Even with Villanova having a higher rank school of business than any other school she was accepted to, Joy did not like the prospects of going there solo.

Joy quickly thought about if it was too late to transfer schools to join Ziggy. Those two both were accepted when they applied at CMU, but made the joint decision to choose Villanova instead. CMU also had a highly ranked school of business so she would still get a great education. It was cheaper than Villanova so her parents would like that. Her mom would love that Joy would either commute to school or live so close her daughter could come home anytime she wanted to. The campus was next to Pitt so it got rid of the hassle of having a long-distance relationship with Steff. The decision of transferring was as simple as making a cup of tea.

***********

Jordan thought to himself, "They said I am a slut, then I will dress like one." He wore his short bodycon black skirt with a black crop top and 5" platform open toe heels. He had glitter on his chest, his top showed off a magnetic belly ring, and did his makeup as provocative as he knew how. This choice of outfit would be passive-aggressive if anyone else wore it. Jordan was doing so as part of his response to the rumors.

Jordan wearing this provocative outfit was his way to protest what people were saying about him. His plan was to directly confront the people he knew were calling him a slut behind his back to have them back up that assertion to his face. He was not being confrontational to feel better about himself. The man who was made of stardust was doing so to hold a magnifying glass up to those people who put him down and believed the lie. He wanted his actions to make them think and see how wrong they were in saying what was not true. Jordan hoped that the intensity of light shined on those people's actions would ignite the stardust inside of them.

Sam Pinsinski gave a look of surprise when he saw Jordan. He was one of the people who Jordan overheard calling him a slut. The man who was making a statement with how he was dressed march right up to him and said, "You should not be shocked, you said that I am a slut."

Sam did not like being directly confronted by the person he down talked yesterday in a private conversation and acted surprised when he asked what. Jordan was not going to let Sam off the hook and pushed the subject when he said, "Come on, I heard what you said to Heath Dorian. Don't you remember, or do I have to repeat it to refresh your memory?"

Sam tried to defend his words. "I didn't really mean it. I was just commenting on you having a date with Ziggy right after breaking up with Dave."

"No, I don't. We are just two friends going to the prom together."

As sarcastic as the high school student he was, Sam said, "Yeah, right."

At that moment Jordan knew his words and actions were in vain. The kids in his school were going to believe what makes a better story over the truth. They were striving for enjoyment over being the best version of who they were. The journey of fulfilling one's true potential meant that people had to miss out on a cheap laugh to get contentment with who they were.

Jordan was also feeling bad about himself. His actions, might have had good intentions but now, he knew they hampered him in his journey to be the best he could be. Jordan knew hampering another from shining also hampered oneself. Calling people out in such a dramatic way led to embarrassment to those who did wrong and stopped them from shining. People feeling embarrassed led to them being defensive. When people closed in rank to protect themselves it kept the stardust within them from shining.

Jordan also felt like an object and he knew why. The boy was dressed to draw attention to himself. Attention itself was not a bad thing, it was when the attention was unwarranted which made it bad. Unwarranted attention came from things that were superficial and corrupted any social interactions. What was unimportant becoming too strong of a focal point became a barrier to the stardust shining from anyone.

The man who was not letting his best side show, did get help in being able to move past his mistake. Ziggy treated him just like any other day. Jordan's prom date looked past the skimpy outfit. Then Dave joked that no matter how hard Jordan tried, it was too late for them to go to the prom together. The joke was not only to show Dave looked past the physical with Jordan, but also he was fine with how the prom was going to work out.

That humorous remark also reminded Jordan if someone was assured enough in how they were it did not matter what they were wearing, the stardust would shine bright. That the essential essence of the person was way more powerful than anything superficial. Jordan quickly went from feeling like he was dressed like a slut, to a man who was just wearing what he wanted. By the end of the day the man, who was going to let his light shine no matter what, found Sam and apologized to him. Sam did the same because he knew he talked without thinking or knowing the entire situation.

**********

Ian could never understand why people were interested in gossip. It was of none of his concern what people did as long as it did not directly affect him, so why were so many other people so intrigued by it?. He felt it was none of his concern who liked who or who was doing what. If those people wanted him to know they would have told him.

Also, the rumors which were based on gossip were as reliable as a badly upkept 20-year-old car. This fact about gossip made Ian wonder why so many people treated it like gospel. Instead of verifying it, too many people just went with repeating what they heard. This led to people believing what was said, because it was said many times. He saw believing something only because it was repeated many times as a form of circular logic.

What irked him when he did pay a little bit of attention to the rumor mill was the same people who believed it because it was said, were the same who got the most upset when something which was untrue was circulated around the school about them. Those people were part of the issue of why rumors were taken as being valid as the finding in a well prepared peer reviewed research paper, yet they hated it when a baseless unfounded rumor about them was accepted without others giving a second thought.

Ian's normal reaction of apathy towards rumors was what made him feel so odd about his reaction to hearing about Ziggy and Jordan being a couple. Ziggy being with Jordan just did not sound right to him. That should have been all the time he gave to that rumor. Instead of not caring or paying attention to the word in the halls, hearing those two were a couple annoyed him.

Ian knew he needed to do something, anything to fight back at what was being said about Jordan and Ziggy. At the same time of wanting the truth to be known, Ian also knew he had to handle it the right way. Saying something to a person who believed something without anything to back the statement was useless to him. He knew that they were not using logic to back up their belief in what they wanted to believe, so they would not rethink it.

Then Ian saw his chance to do something as he bumped into Ross walking down the hall. He was going to tell Ross he knew the rumor was not true. Ian was socially adept enough to know saying that to both Jordan and Ziggy would be tactless. There was nothing wrong with being gay and that was how it would come off. Ross on the other hand, Ian knew he was not happy about how people were talking about his friend. Ian could show his support and solidarity by talking with Jordan's best friend about him knowing the truth about the rumor.

"Hey there Ross, I don't know why so many people think that Jordan and Ziggy are a couple."

"Because people like Steff say it and people like you say nothing."

"Hey don't put this on me. I don't believe it. I don't say anything for it is none of my concern. Plus if I say something it can come off as me being homophobic."

"Then why bring it up to me if it's none of your concern?"

"'Cause it's wrong dude. That is why. I know how you and Jordan don't like it, so I am just saying I know better. I am trying to show you some support."

Words of support are little help. They do not do anything about the issue at hand. To Ross Ian's words were just as good an action as the people who put the yellow ribbon support our troops bumper stickers on the back of their cars and think that is enough to help. Instead, those people should be more proactive.

Not wanting to help Ian to get the false sense of him being part of the solution Ross ended the conversation by reiterating that the boy, who wanted a pat on his back, should say something when people said something which was not true. Most of the time Ross's suggestion of being proactive in being part of the solution got as much notice as the healthy choices on a fast-food restaurant; but this time was different. It resonated with Ian like the ringing of a church bell. It also had the same effect on him as a church bell to someone with true faith and called him to go towards Ross's suggestion.

************

Joy came out of the lunch line looking around like she did not know the layout of the cafeteria. In a way the room was a foreign landscape, she had nowhere to sit. Going to sit at her normal table did not feel right. Ziggy would be there. It was strange to Joy that even when she was next to Ziggy she felt so far away from her best friend. Their closeness was never about how close the proximity of their bodies was, but the connection of their souls. Now that connection was so strained that if Ziggy was right next to Joy she could not feel his presence.

Even with being Steff's main squeeze, going to his table did not feel right either to the lost girl. Most of the time when her boy was around his friends, she felt like an outsider. Their connection in the relationship depended on the situation. This was from Steff not letting his social world mesh with his relationship.

Joy not wanting to feel any more like a stranger in a strange land picked to sit with Steff. Joining that table made more sense, at least there it was normal for her to feel out of place. Joy needed to feel like she belonged and a girl should always feel welcomed by her boy. Plus, she had to tell her boy the good news about CMU.

It was tougher than a marine's love to their juvenile delinquent child than for Steff to hold in his displeasure of Joy coming to his table, but he did. She knew this was his time with his friends and Steff needed it. Today started out great as he was going to talk with Mr Forman about his chances of receiving the recently vacated George Westinghouse Scholarship. Then the day turned to the worse when his teacher and unofficial guidance counselor informed him that it would be a long shot with Steff only being on the waiting list for CMU. The bad news got worse when Steff found out that another hurdle for him to get the scholarship was Ziggy was interested.

The boy who had nothing going his way cursed who was now quickly becoming his nemesis, Ziggy. First, his classmate had to finally semi come out as being gay right before the prom, and now, this. Steff had nothing against homosexuals, but the friction Ziggy not admitting to who he was to Joy was causing Steff to have to be there for his girl. Steff could not figure out why Ziggy would not embrace who he really was like the way he was going to embrace Jordan on the dance floor.

Steff was smart enough to know that none of how Ziggy was putting up barriers to what he wanted was his friend's fault. That still did not stop him from being annoyed at him. Intent only went so far, the results were what really matters. Good intentions gave leeway to ill feelings about bad results but almost never absolute absolution.

If Steff knew Ziggy would have finally submitted to his sexual desires to be with a man, then he would have insisted Ziggy still took Joy to the prom. He still would have gotten what he really wanted out of the prom, a great night of sex. There would have been the added bonus of not having to put in the groundwork beforehand. Ziggy would have gotten Joy in the best mood possible and she would have shared that in the bedroom with the boy who did nothing.

Joy sat down and Alan and Ian did not hide their cringes. Steff quickly gave them a look of disapproval for them to stop. They liked Joy, but she was not part of the group. When she was around, instead of all four of them being together, it became Joy and Steff in their own little group and Alan and Ian in another. Those two did try to connect with her but Steff always put a stop to it.

"Hey there Alan and Ian, sorry about joining you for lunch but I have some news to share with my boy."

They both understood, but Steff did not. He said, "Joy you know we catch up on the walk out of lunch."

"It is big. I am not going to Villanova, but CMU instead. Our colleges are going to be right next to each other. We do not have to worry about the hassle of being in a long-distance relationship."

"Don't change your plans to try to stay close with Ziggy. You two will drift apart, he sees you as competition now."

"We will stay close and he will not see me as competition."

Projection is extremely common with people and most of the time they do not even know they are doing it. In most cases, people just assume that everyone else has the same perspective on their surroundings as they do. In this case, Steff projecting his feeling about Ziggy came from the subconscious. Deep down Steff saw Ziggy as his competition to Joy. The boy was always worried that one day Joy would break up with him to be with her Zigs. This was the real reason Steff always treated Joy as his fallback girl, deep down he knew he was her fallback boy.

Each time they broke up Steff's innermost hope was that Joy and Ziggy would finally get together. Little did he know that if that ever did happen, that would not only free him from regressing back into a doomed relationship, but would let the stardust he was made out of start to shine.

"He does, he wants the same thing out of a relationship as you."

"I hope that you do also."

"Don't twist my words. I meant physically. He is a fag, he wants to be with men."

"Use more respect when you talk about my Zigs."

When Steff said fag and Joy continued with the conversation like the rumor was true Ian heard those church bells again. It called him to action, "Come on, you both know that Ziggy is not gay. Plus Jordan would not be with anyone so soon after breaking up with Dave. Them going to the prom is not a date."

Steff was truly remorseful and shocked. Steff did not like that he put down someone by demeaning who they were. The boy who did not like how he just acted was taken back by Ian adding his opinion into this private conversation. This was between him and Joy, and Ian knew better than to join in. Steff saw this as none of his friend's concern, "Ian stay out of this, you don't know what you are talking about and this has nothing to do with you. What straight guy would go to the prom with another man?

“Sorry, I am just so pissed off. His personal drama is now coming into our relationship; plus, it is making you make a bad decision. Villanova is the best school for you. I only want what is the best for you."

Ian disagreed this had nothing to do with him. It irked him how people were talking this rumor as true and needed to set it straight. Saying what was on his mind also made him feel better. It might not change anyone's mind, but he knew he had to try. Just in case his words acted like a church bell to whoever he was talking to and called them to come towards the truth. "This does because I am sick of hearing all these rumors which are not true.

“A straight guy who is just going to the prom to be around his friends and do not care what other people think."

As Ian and Steff continued to bicker with each other Joy started to think about what was best for her, having her Zigs close to her. Right then she saw him as her Zigs because the static which was breaking down their connection was disbursed by her sticking up for him. Disagreements, misunderstandings, arguments, and squabbles were always overpowered by the strength of the close bond and the pact of true friendship when one friend needs to be there for another.

Joy got up and went to the only place she knew she would feel like she was at home, her normal lunch table. Alan started to pester Steff to go after her. Steff knew better. They both needed time to cool down. Plus, Ziggy, not him, was not the one who Joy went to when she was upset, even when Steff was not the cause.

Joy sat down and everything felt like it was back to normal. At that moment Ziggy was more concerned about the down look on Joy’s face than what she thought about his sexuality. His sweetest friend needed him and that was more important than anything else.

"Zigs, with you having a chance of getting that scholarship, I am going to look into going to CMU instead. So we keep with our plans of going to school together."

"Joy, only do that if that is what you want. Until right now I thought your heart was set on going to Nova, so don't change your school because of me. Sooner or later we are going to stop spending every day together."

Joy could not envision a future where she did not see her Zigs every day. She thought that they would end up working at the same company, him in R&D and her in production planning. They would have kids the same age, going to the same school. That would mean so many music and dance recitals, games, and other school functions spent together. It would be great to see Ziggy as a father, she knew he would be a great one and hoped that her future husband would be half as good as Zigs.

"Oh Ziggy. It is not for you, CMU is the best school for me. Steff thought the same thing that was why I came over here. You having a chance of getting that scholarship just made me rethink my decision. CMU is the better all-around choice. Going there will be a great education, closer to home, at a school right next to the one my boy is going to and also cost less money. You being there was just an added bonus."

Ziggy agreed with Joy's reasoning about transferring school, knowing she was doing what was best for herself. Ziggy then started to pay attention to help smooth things between Joy and Steff, "Any money your boy just did not word his concerns about you changing your school right.

“I am happy that my chance of going to CMU made you see what would be best for you. I never want you to make a decision which puts me over what is best for you."

Joy wished that Ziggy knew that him being close to her was what was best for her. It was also what was best for him. They brought the best out in each other. Right now was the perfect example. Even with them having a strain on their friendship, it went back to normal. Instead of letting the fallout they were experiencing get in the way, they were there for the other when it was needed.

Their relationship stayed in the past until the end of lunch. That was when Jordan came over. While shopping on his phone the boy who wanted to be girly the entire weekend found the perfect golf outfit which was available for next day delivery. Before he ordered that adorable pleated white with two blue stripes at the hem golf skirt for Saturday, Jordan wanted to make sure that Ziggy would be comfortable being with a boy in a skirt out in public. Being cute was important but not as important as making sure Ziggy was able to enjoy being on the greens.

The time travel was ended by Ziggy commenting that he knew that Jordan would look great in that skirt. Ziggy saw the look of disappointment on Joy's face. Ziggy took it was from her being upset about him not admitting that falsehood she believed. A small part of it was. Most of Joy's disappointment was from she would much rather have heard Ziggy saying those words to her instead of Jordan.

This moment was exactly why those two could not just act like they never had that conversation yesterday. In a close friendship, both people had to be on the same page about who the other was. A disagreement about something as fundamental as who someone really was would always come to the foreground, The friction between the truth and fiction would rub against their connection until their bond was broken.

The last couple of minutes of lunch were silent at their table. Joy bolted as soon as the bell rang. She needed to get away from feeling lonely when next to her best friend. It was wrong for a person to feel awkward around someone who was so close to them. Ziggy was hurt that he was glad to see Joy go away. He knew that feeling was a sign of their friendship becoming strained.

Chapter 5

It was finally prom night and both Jordan and Joy were waiting for their dates. Both of them looked as stunning as the glare of stardust shining in someone's face for the first time. Jordan's outfit of a shoulderless blue with yellow polka dot dress perfectly captured how optimistic and playful he was feeling. That dress also captured how Ziggy and his date for the night felt how the ‘80s were.

Joy's blue gown with a gold embroidered design, a dip hem detailing, a Bardot neckline with fold-over sleeves, and a box pleated skirt captured a regalness. How regal the dress looked on Joy along with the stoic look on her face also made her look withdrawn. She was lost in her thoughts of how Steff was going to mess up the night and now she did not have her Zigs to be there for her to help get over the disappointment.

Jordan knew the night was going to surpass expectations when Ziggy showed up early in a pristine PT Cruiser GT. The man in his dream dress knew his date was considerate enough to make sure they had more than enough time to get the perfect per prom pictures. If being so early was not enough, Zigmund's dad got out of the car wearing a tux and a cap to look better in his role as their chauffeur.

In his greeting to Jordan, Ziggy mentioned how stunning that Jordan's prom dress was on him. Jordan said, "Thank you, Zigmund." How dapper and formal Jordan's date looked in his outfit, a pastel yellow suit and the blue with yellow polka dots bow tie and pocket square, it was more fitting to call him Zigmund right then. Using his date's given name added to the pomp and circumstance of the moment.

Jordan's and Ziggy's parents took pictures to chronicle the traditions which came from Ziggy picking up his date. All the pictures were perfectly able to capture the magic of the moment. Zigmund putting the blue delphinium with yellow roses corsage on Jordan's wrist. Jordan putting the yellow rose boutonnière on Zigmund's lapel. Pictures of Jordan with his parents and Zigmund with his. A great one of the happy couple standing under a blossoming cherry tree. Finally one of Zigmund opening the car door for Jordan.

On the other hand, Joy's reservations about the night were justified when her date showed up half an hour after they were supposed to be leaving. Her bad feelings were confirmed even more when Steff was a little unbalanced coming out of the limo. The woman who did not expect too much from her boy was let down when the first thing out of his mouth was the smell of booze. Joy hoped that her boy would not have started drinking before the prom. Now it would be hard, if not impossible, to get Steff out on the dance floor.

Alan and Ian came bouncing out of the limo also. Joy could tell that those two have not been drinking that much yet. Joy was relieved to see those two were just about sober because she knew they would help cover the fact that her boy was under the influence of Dionysus' drink. They would help run interference between Steff and Joy's parents by making sure they never got close enough to smell his alcohol on his breath.

Steff already wearing a generic red rose boutonnière and a black cumberbund and bowtie added to Joy's disappointment. She had a great golden rose boutonniere which went with her gown and her boy's cumberbund along with the bowtie did not help to tie their outfit together. Steff looked great, but his look did not complement her blue gown with gold embroidered design.

Joy also knew they will be running even later after getting a couple of hastily taken pictures of the couple with her family. Even if they had time there would not have been a picture of the magic moment of Joy putting the boutonniere on Steff because her boy refused to take off the one he was already wearing. The picture of Joy and Steff in front of the limo was one of two people who would rather be somewhere else. Steff in the limo getting to the prom and Joy at her Zig's side.

The lady who felt like she got the booby prize of prom dates chalked up her thinking that it should be Zigs here instead of Steff because her best friend would have been on time. Her Zigs understood how important the picture taking part of the prom ritual was. Zigs would have mentioned how radiant Joy looked in her dress. Zigs would have been sober when he showed up early, so they both could get a high soaking in the moment together. He would have been wanting to be in the picture instead of the limo going to the prom. As they went to leave Joy had to cough to remind Steff to be a gentleman and get the door for her.

************

Ross was standing on one of Mount Washington's observation decks holding his girlfriend, Natalie Billington, and enjoying the view of Pittsburgh's skyline. The view was as breathtaking to Ross as Nat was in her disk sequin pink cocktail dress with a white sequin heart design. What was even more breathtaking to him than how Nat looked was her picking that dress so Ross could wear his custom tux.

Ross had a retro 80's look and excellently executed the look of his idol, The Excellence of Execution. The long tail blazer had Bret Hart's signature white star epaulets with tassels. The slacks had a pink satin stripe down the side. His hair had the wet slick back look and the accessory which Ross loved the most, his vintage hitman wrap-around shades were on.

Even with being in one of the many magical moments which will fill the weekend, Ross could not help not to notice the observer of the observation deck, Dave Penkula. The man who was going to the prom stag was immune to the magic of the moment. He felt like an outsider. The group of classmates he shared the limo with were like a painting to him and he was in an art gallery admiring this beautiful work of art.

Instead of being pulled into the magic of the moment, Dave was lost in what should have been, him holding Jordan as they stood next to Ross and Nat. Dave still had hope that he and the perfect man for him would get back together after prom’s weekend, but getting back the person who owned his heart, was little consolation to missing out on this magical weekend with him. The worst part was in a couple of minutes Jordan was going to be joining them at the observation deck for pictures, yet Dave's ex would still be too far away for his liking.

As Dave was in the land of what should have been, Jordan and Ziggy arrived. As a force of habit, Dave went to go get the door for Jordan. He stopped himself when he saw Mr Van Diemen get out of the car to do his chauffeur duty, which Dave saw as an honor. Seeing Jordan with a smile on his face and being treated how he should put a smile on Dave's face. The smile came from some of the stardust in Dave igniting.

Right after getting out of the car Jordan's eyes adjusted to see that the spring sun was bright, but pale in comparison to his group of friends who were waiting for him. The one who was shining the most, to Jordan, was Dave. This brightness did not come from the man who going to the prom stag was being the most in tune with his stardust. It came from Dave losing his dullness and striving to be the best person he could be.

Seeing the quality which first made Jordan attracted to Dave made him go towards him to greet him with a hug. Then out of the corner of his eye, Jordan saw Ziggy and stopped himself. He was still going to hug Dave, but needed to join the group with his date at his side. Jordan knew that not walking side by side with Ziggy would have been treating him as his date in name only, and that would not have been fair to any of them.

Dave was the first one who greeted the last arrivals. He gave Ziggy a pull-in handshake and a hug to Jordan. The hug was an ordinary one between them so it felt like home. This was for any ordinary action those two did together felt extraordinary.

Ross wanted to get this group going to Station Square. They were not running late but he wanted to get in the optimal spot in the promenade line. Right before the midsection of the queue, when the people who were already sitting were still paying full attention to the proceedings. Too soon there would not be a big enough audience for his liking and too late he would not have felt like the center of attention. He wanted everyone to see his tux.

As Ross approached the newcomers, Jordan and Dave were dominating the conversation. Ziggy was happy about feeling like a third wheel. He knew that Dave should be Jordan's date and he should be the one going stag. Ziggy was about to announce what all three of them wanted but did not say when Ross arrived and quickly said, "Come on guys, let's get the pictures taken and get this party on the road. Jordan, Ziggy get your picture. Then we will do the group ones and then down to Gateway Clipper."

Ziggy changed his intentions, instead of announcing that Dave was Jordan's date, he was just going to let it be. He knew that what really mattered was what was real, not who had the title of Jordan's date. Ziggy made sure that the two who were really going to the prom together got the first of many memories immortalized by saying, "Before our pictures Ross, get one of Jordan and Dave."

Dave said, "No, Jordan is your date tonight."

"Yeah, so what? Two friends can get a picture taken before the prom."

Jordan added, "Come on Dave. We both want it."

Dave agreed to the picture because Jordan was right, but was not going to intrude anymore on Jordan and Ziggy's time at the prom. He made a mental note to make sure that he did not sit next to them in the limo. Afterward it will be easy not to make Ziggy the bystander, he was going to mingle while the rest of the group waited in line to enter the prom and then sit with his friends from the golf team. The man who was getting his stardust to shine was more than happy to be an observer tonight. It would reinforce an important lesson. To always let those who are dear to you shine how they wanted to shine.

Jordan and Ziggy were at their table for almost a half hour when Joy and Steff finally arrived at the Gateway Clipper Fleet dock. The latecomers saw that there were only 6 couples left in the line to get on the riverboat, Empress, which was hosting their prom. Steff could not believe his luck that he did not have to wait in line. Being the only one who did not read the tension in the ride to the docks, Steff declared they made it in perfect time.

The second time in as many tries, Steff got out of the limo as stable as an infant learning to walk. Joy thought for sure that they would not be allowed on the boat. In a way, she was hoping that either Alan or Ian were not as good at running interference with the chaperones who were collecting the tickets or the group was told they arrived too late. What should have been a magical evening of dancing and hanging out with her friends turned into being around her obviously oblivious drunken boyfriend at a table with his friends. Then to top it off she would have to see the evidence that her Zigs was keeping who he really was to her. That her and her Zigs’ time as friends was coming to an end.

Neither of Joy's hopes came true. Steff was able to pull himself together long enough to make it past the ticket takers so Ian and Alan did not have to help sneak their drunk friend onto the boat. Plus it was Mr Anatar and Kerr at the gate. Those two were going to turn a blind eye to kids being late or drunk as long as they were not belligerent. They did not want to be known as buzzkills.

Joy was once again disappointed with how her best night of her life was going during the entrance. She and Steff were the last couple to make their grand entrance and by then almost no one was paying attention. They were all chattering at their tables. Her disappointment in not making a grand entrance was lessened by a new one, how her drunk boyfriend announced that he had arrived.

Steff could not believe that no one was paying attention to the last couple's entrance to the prom. They should have known that the best was saved for last. To get the attention he deserved Steff gave out a huge, "WOOOOOOOOOO!!" That barely added to anyone to call their attention to the stairs. The ones who did just thought it was Steff being Steff and quickly went back to their conversation.

Walking down to their table led to yet another disappointment to Joy. Her Zigs was too engaged in his conversation with Jordan, Ross, and Nat to look up at her entrance. Joy just wanted her Zigs to see how stunning she looked during her grand entrance. She needed someone to genuinely appreciate how she looked tonight.

Ziggy gave up looking for Joy's entrance because he assumed she must have gotten into the ballroom before him. There was no way his best friend was going to be late for the biggest night of her life. There was also no way that Steff could be inconsiderate enough to make them late. There was no way that Ziggy would have thought the truth, he gave Steff too much credit.

**********

Even with the fissure between Joy and Ziggy growing, Vince's prediction of the night would be legendary when he found out who was taking Jordan was right. The night surpassed his great expectations. The two tables the huge group was sharing were filled with laughter and movement between them. The two groups easily merged as one. It became an epicenter of the good vibrations.

The positive energy at the table became a magnetic force and started to draw the students at the other tables around them into the joyous feeling. The two tables quickly became three and then four. Then the next thing there was ten tables mingling between each other and having their own private party which everyone was invited to.

The only reason the entire prom was not swallowed into this one huge merged group was the natural barriers of columns and the dance floor. This did not stop the mood of comradery from spreading and more of these epicenters from spawning. By the end of the night, the biggest barrier was broken so that all these groups merged into one.

Nobody, not even Steff and Joy, was immune to the effects Ziggy and Jordan's prom entourage had on the affair. Steff was loving mingling with his classmates and Joy talking to people took her mind off all the disappointments of the night. It was easy for the good spirits to possess everyone at the prom, they wanted to have a good time. The easiest recipe for enjoying oneself is to want to and find other people who are in the same frame of mind.

The reprieve from the night not being what Joy expected soon ended when Vince and Jon stopped by her table. Her friends who were visiting from the first epicenter of fun tried to coax Joy to come over to their table before dinner was served. Joy declined, saying that she will catch up with them after dinner.

The real reason Joy declined was seeing her two friends reminded her about Ziggy and Jordan. Joy was jealous of Jordan spending time with her Zigs and being the first to know the truth. Even with her knowing how she felt was wrong, Joy could not shake the feeling. Joy also knew that if she went over there and was catty towards Jordan that would strain her friendship with Ziggy.

On their way back to their table Vincent and Jon bumped into Beth. She was with her real prom date, her camera. Beth was taking pictures to use in the school's newspaper and the yearbook. She only wished that she had more rolls of film. There were too many moments that her classmates would love to have captured by her.

That 35mm Canon film camera never let her down in capturing the moment and she was happy to have it right now. The biggest reason was the picture of yearning she got of Ziggy made her see two truths. One who Ziggy was really pining for, Joy. She figured that out by following his line of sight and the target of Ziggy's look was Joy.

The other truth Beth had was an epiphany which Ziggy had already figured out about her relationships. Beth used them for a short-term way to feel better about herself. Right then Beth knew she had to quit repeating the same mistake. From now on the girl who took another step on becoming a woman and letting her stardust truly shine was going to be single for the right reasons instead of being with someone for the wrong ones.

************

After dinner, the DJ started the dancing portion of the evening with an Mt Lebanon Prom tradition. He played Chuck Berry's, "You Can Never Tell", for an unofficial twist contest. This being the first song started way back in 1995 during the second reign of John Travolta's coolness. It was to reenact the dance scene from Pulp Fiction. The prom committee continued the tradition even after the reason why it started was mostly forgotten by the student body because it was a great and easy way to get people out on the dance floor.

One of the few who did not forget why the Father of Rock N' Roll’s song was played for the twist contest was Jordan. He was a huge Quentin Tarantino fan so dancing the first dance was not an option, but mandatory to him. As the DJ was being the MC and welcoming the kids to this portion of the night of their lives, Jordan got up and grabbed Ziggy by his hands. Jordan wanted to be the first couple on the dance floor because they were the only ones who got to introduce themselves.

Ziggy was a little reluctant and that reminded Jordan of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. Ziggy was still settling into his surroundings and was not ready to dance. The estrangement from Joy was affecting Ziggy more than he knew. To lighten up the mood the man who wanted to play Mia Wallace playfully called Ziggy, Vincent. This led to the desired results but only Jordan knew. Ziggy flashed a quick smile to let Jordan know everything was fine but kept on playing off as if he was opposed to being on the dance floor.

Dave was sitting with his friends and was happy to see Jordan was getting the prom he wanted. Dave's ex deserved to enjoy this night. He also reminded himself that he was getting the prom he deserved. He wanted to remember feeling like an audience member to remind him of the lesson of the night, let people shine.

Dave became irritated with Ziggy putting up resistance to going to the dance floor. If Ziggy could not dance with a man then he should have never agreed to go to the prom with Jordan. The man who self regulated to be a bystander almost interjected himself into the prom until Ziggy took off his shoes. Dave thought well played. He knew then Ziggy added the nice extra touch of playing the role of Vincent and went back to enjoying the show.

Jordan followed Ziggy's lead and took off his high heels. Then to go for a more laid-back cool look, Ziggy undid his blue with yellow polka dot bow tie. Then they started the twist. Even with no trophy to be won, Jordan was staying in the moment and playing Mia. Ziggy played along and looked as intense as a dog looking at his master's dinner.

Steff and Joy took Ziggy's look as being desire for Jordan. The man who was making this night one to regret for Joy used their false conclusion to redirect her anger at someone else. Joy bought Steff down talking Ziggy quicker than an Apple fanboy got the newest iPhone. She needed her Zigs to be lying so she was not to blame for their friendship falling apart.

Ian knew exactly what Ziggy and Jordan were doing, recreating an iconic scene from a great movie. The man who heard those church bells again, went to where they led him. He tried to correct his friends. Even with Ian being right about the dance being obvious, neither of them listened. The truth was inconvenient to the narrative they wanted to push. The narrative helped them easily navigate out of a hard situation.

The contest ended and everyone was clapping the unofficial winners, Jordan and Ziggy. Most were clapping because they were enjoying watching new love blossom, but a few who were not on autopilot did so because of the great job they did in reenacting that great dance moment. Right then the reason for the accolades did not matter to either Ziggy and Jordan, they were enjoying the moment in the spotlight. They were confident enough in themselves to not let what people perceived about them hamper their stardust from shining.

As Jordan was in the spotlight, he saw Dave smiling and it broke his heart. Jordan knew that smile should have been brighter. Dave was enjoying himself but was not fully in the moment. Jordan knew what was missing for this to be the perfect night for Dave and himself, Dave, and not Ziggy, at his side. Jordan thought, "Dammit, Dave should be right next to me soaking in this moment. This should have been a moment we treasured together." Jordan was right, this should have been a moment they put into their shared mental safety deposit box. Now with it being a memory from two different perspectives, this moment would never be as magical as it should have been.

As Ziggy was in the spotlight he made eye contact with Joy. For a fleeting moment, the smile on his face grew from the sunshine of seeing his best friend. Then quickly black clouds came over the bright skies as Joy quickly turned her gaze away from him. Even with enjoying himself, Ziggy knew this moment should have been him sitting with Joy. Thinking of where he should have been, brought even more dark clouds. It has been a couple of day since he and Joy had a real conversation. The disconnect with his friend made Ziggy not feel whole. He knew a part of him was missing and had to rectify the situation before it became the new normal.

Jordan and Ziggy not being with who they should have been, made it so they both did not want to dance. Ziggy was not feeling right not being around Joy, and Jordan only wanted to dance with one man tonight, Dave. They both collected their shoes and started to prepare to leave the dancefloor.

Before leaving the dancefloor, Ziggy wanted to go back to a more formal looked so he started to awkwardly retie his bowtie. Not wanting to watch his date’s clumsy attempt to get his look back, Jordan helped. This made Ziggy a little self-aware. The embarrassment came from him not being able to do a simple task of male grooming. The people who wanted to watch a romance form believed the redness was from Ziggy being so close to the object of his desire.

***********

Ziiggy and Jordan stayed seated until the DJ started to play some ballads. The first one was, "Almost Paradise." If either of them were paying any real attention they both would have realized how fitting the title was to the night. The night was a great one, which they would hold dear, but that someone special was missing to make the memories from the night the best they could be.

The song itself did not matter to Jordan. He wanted to slow dance. For a moment Jordan so wished that he broke down and did the wrong thing of dumping Ziggy for Dave. That thought quickly went away because Jordan knew that the momentary joy of dancing with his man was not worth the cost. Preventing him from being the best person he could be. There would be many more nights that he could be held close by the man who owned his heart.

Ziggy could tell that his date wanted to dance so, being the gentleman he was, Ziggy took Jordan's hand and led him to the dancefloor. Ziggy was hoping that dancing would take his mind off of how he was going to handle breakfast with Joy tomorrow. He hated the idea that he was going to have to be firm with his best friend about the truth. She was either going to have to believe him or else they would need some time apart until the truth became self-evident to her. Ziggy knew that by the time Joy realized she was wrong too much space between them would have formed and, their friendship would not go back to how it was.

Dave could not be happier for Jordan and sadder for himself as he watched the faux couple on the dance floor. He knew it should be him, but Dave was not a participant of the prom but an observer. Then the next song, Cyndi Lauper's, "Time After Time", played and Dave knew this was a sign that audience participation was encouraged. The title of the song was a common saying between him and Jordan. They swore to be there for each other time after time. Also their first Halloween together, Jordan dressed as Cyndi Lauper, because in Jordan's words, he's so unusual.

Dave also could not take seeing Ziggy being the better man than him anymore and was about to do something about the situation. Jordan gave Dave the strength to be who he was, so the man who was sitting alone knew he was wrong not wanting his ex to be who he was at the prom. Even with Dave being confident he would get back together with Jordan after the prom, he was not going to let his insecurities ruin them not having some fond memories of the prom. Dave was going to ask for one dance.

Dave busted through the fourth wall onto the performance he was watching and found out it was real. The dancers were not actors and he saw no directors behind the curtains orchestrating this moment. Dave did not feel out of synch and that added to his confidence. The walk reminded him of almost four years ago when he started to come into his own on that fateful day he asked Jordan to the football game.

Dave asked if he could have this dance with Jordan. Ziggy said yes. Jordan said no but the tone of his voice said he would love to. Jordan knew one dance would lead to another and another. He did not want to abandon the man who helped him fulfill his prom dreams. The man who already knew that Jordan was only with him in body, let go of the embrace he had on his date. Taking Jordan's hand he offered it to Dave and said, "Jordan, dance with who your heart and mind are with."

As Ziggy was walking off the dancefloor he could not help that the smile on his face grew. The man who was now solo at the prom was as happy with himself as the first kid amongst their friends who solved the Rubik's Cube when he thought about the little part he played with those two sharing the prom together. Ziggy knew he was helping those two lovers reach their full potential by them being with who they should be with. Even with being on his own, the young man was still going to have a great night. He was surrounded by friends and making memories that would last a lifetime.

Steff could not help himself, he loved to find humor in other people's misery. It was funny to him to put people down. "This song is perfect for Ziggy. Time after time he gets dumped for the better man."

Joy smiled and laughed when she heard Steff's joke. Her boy thought that she had finally quit being a stick in the mud about his jokes. The truth was her laughter and smile was from her realizing part of what Steff said was true. The song did capture Ziggy's essence. Time after time Ziggy was there for others. Time after time Ziggy did what was best for all. Time after time Ziggy did something amazing just by being himself.

Joy's joy grew when she figured out why she believed the rumors of Ziggy being gay. Joy would have found any girl other than herself not good enough for Ziggy. She had romantic feelings for her best friend.

Joy also figured out why she was disappointed about Ziggy spending time with Jordan, she was jealous of the man in a dress. Joy now understood why she wanted to be the one who pinned the boutonnière on Zig's lapel. Joy also understood she did not deserve that honor. The privilege of sharing the small intimate moments comes from being the person who truly shared the big moments. She knew what she had to do next, make herself worthy of putting a boutonnière on Ziggy. Joy was going to share the rest of this big event of her life with her Zigs so she was worthy of sharing all the small intimate moments with him.

When Joy looked at Steff she quit laughing and her smile disappeared. Her mood becoming more serious came from her realizing why the rest of Steff's lame attempt at a joke was not funny. Ziggy was not dumped by her for the better man. There was no way that this little boy sitting next to her was better than Ziggy, yet he kept on making jokes at his expense. Steff made jokes which put others down to lift himself up. Joy did not want someone like that in her life, let alone to be the person with whom she shared it.

The boy, who could be called garbage because he was about to be dumped, was clueless on why Joy's facial expression changed when she looked at him. He had no idea that at that moment Joy quit seeing Steff how she wanted to see him and started to see him as he actually was towards her, a self-centered entitled brat.

Steff became even more lost when his date picked up her purse and got up to leave the table. She just went to the restroom a couple of minutes ago and she knew he was in no state to dance. The boy, who did not know he was now at the prom stag, asked Joy where she was going. Joy kept on looking towards her future, instead of back at her past, when she said, "To be with the man who should have been my prom date."

As the lady walked closers towards the man she loved, Joy started to sparkle like the glitter in the nail polish on her fingertips. Each step she became more radiant until she was shining like the crystal chandeliers on the ceiling of the ballroom. Ziggy turned around and saw how dazzling his friend was. Seeing Joy's joy quickly chased away any bit of sorrow Ziggy was feeling about the state of their friendship. There was no time for sadness when next to such happiness.

Joy placed her purse down and started to take the boutonnière off of Ziggy's lapel. How content, happy and confident Joy was made it so the man, who did not know he had a girlfriend, could not ask what was going on. The lady who was rightfully sharing the small intimate moment with her Zigs then pulled out the clear plastic calm box which was holding a blue rose. The lady put the flower in the buttonhole and gently tied a knot in the stem, to secure it in place. Then she put Ziggy's old boutonnière in the clam box. Joy was going to make sure that Jordan got the flower and had the chance to put it on the lapel of the rightful owner, Dave.

Finally, Ziggy's curiosity overpowered the hold Joy's actions had over it and he asked what are you doing.

With a calm strength in her voice, Joy said, "Putting a boutonnière on my date's jacket."

Before Ziggy could object, Joy kissed him. Their lips touching for the first time ignited the stardust in Ziggy's soul. Now the man, who found out he was in love with his best friend, joined her in shining like the crystal chandeliers on the ceiling of the ballroom. After their first kiss during what became their song Ziggy took Joy by the hand and led her to the dancefloor.

How bright they were while in a close embrace slow dancing drew everyone's attention, even Jordan and Dave, being lost in each other's love, noticed those two dancing. How could they not, Ziggy and Joy were the only couple that was shining brighter than Jordan and Dave. Jordan was so happy for the man who took him to the prom and the lady in his arms.

The man, who got his man back, was the only one who was not amazed at how those two were glowing. Everyone else gave too much credence to the miscommunication they had with each other and themselves to think that they could be this close right then. Jordan knew better, he knew it was natural for them to shine because they brought out the best in each other. Jordan knew bringing out the best in someone else brought the stardust people were made out of to the surface for others to see.

As Joy and her Zigs were starting the new stage of their relationship, Steff pulled out his phone to take some pictures. He knew his ex well enough that she would have wanted a picture of her putting the boutonnière on her Zigs. Steff might not have been the best boyfriend to Joy, but now he was going to act like he should have when they were together. As he got the phone out, a better option to take the pictures walked by him, Beth. "Hey Beth, take some pictures of Joy and Ziggy. You have a great eye and they would love to have this moment captured by you."

Beth was more than happy to oblige, because she knew that Steff was telling the truth about his opinion of her photography skills. His compliment made it so Beth felt like someone else finally was seeing her true self. Steff knew Beth was able to capture the essence of the moment in still life. Pictures were breathtaking and beautiful when they capture the moment unadulterated and she was able to do that. Her picture of Dave teeing off at the State final last year won an award. Anyone who saw that shot knew the absolute determination and drive he had to win one for their coach, Dr Stevenson.

Joy's ex sat at the table and processed what just occurred and also his entire relationship with Joy. He figured something out, why he was fine with treating her like his fallback girl. It was because he was her fallback guy. If the man who rightfully owned Joy's heart ever staked claimed for it Steff subconsciously knew their relationship would have been over.

After the song was over Joy and Zigs went out one of the side doors to find a quiet place to talk. They were on the boat's deck gazing at the stars in each other's eyes and enjoying the scenery and the location.

"Joy, I love you. I always wanted you to have what your heart desired. I never thought it would desire me, that was why I would not let myself see that I desired to spend and share my life with you."

"I love you also. We have been a couple for over 6 years but never realized it. I would always picture growing old with you, never anyone else.

“I am sorry about..."

Joy's actions were more than enough to atone for not having faith in Ziggy, so her man kissed her again to get past the subject. He then told her it was fine.

Joy disagreed. "No, it isn't fine. I did not take my best friend's word about who he was. I lost my faith in you. I will do my best to always keep it. I could not admit to myself I loved you, so you being unattainable eased the pain of not having what I needed. You to always be at my side."

"It is fine now. We kept something big from ourselves and each other. That helped cause the trust to be broken. Both of us sharing our true feelings for each other will make it so our faith in each other will grow."

The two turned around and looked into the prom and saw all of their classmates enjoying the night. The new couple smiled when they saw Jordan and Dave dancing. How in sync their movement on the dance floor was made it like those two never broke up. The reason was that they never did. They might have said they were no longer a couple, but their hearts were still beating as one. Seeing the one soul which shared two bodies reminded Joy she had to give that boutonnière to Jordan. Dave and Jordan would want that physical souvenir to go along with all the mental and emotional ones which they were making tonight.

The couple could also saw the whispering between people about what they witnessed. Instead of going with the boring truth of one couple getting back together and another realizing they were already one, most people bought the new rumor. That Jordan and Dave breaking up along with Ziggy coming out and having a prom date with Jordan was a huge ruse for him to get the person of his dreams.

Some of the gossip-mongers found how Ziggy played the long game as the most romantic courting process ever. Him building a strong friendship made it so their love had a strong foundation to grow was as touching as a Hallmark card to them. Others thought Ziggy should have been more upfront with Joy. It was sad that those two missed out on time being a couple.

The rumors and hearsay would not matter to Joy and her Zigs. They knew the truth and those who were dear to them would believe it. The rest of the people would just keep on believing what they wanted to be true.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow

What an astounding story...
You really know how to make the stardust in each of us readers shine.

Thank you again.

Deen

A Fine Wine

Rhayna Tera's picture

I read this years ago on FM.

It's aged very well. Kudos.

Double WOW

Well, this sure brought back memories! OK, not exactly of the Limo or the cruise ship, rather the school gym, decorated with bunting and balloons, but a lot of the same intrigue and gossip. . . !! Can only wish that the level of tolerance (from the parents as well as the students and faculty) had been on a par with your story! Well told, Ms Goodwoman, you could sell tickets on your Time Machine ;-)
Hugs, Miriam