The Voyage of the Visund -48-

Printer-friendly version

There is an unexpected visitor the next morning, a woman intent on dealing death. But things are not as they seem and spiral rapidly out of control. Eriana makes a quick decision.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

48 - A Pointed Interruption


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



After the women had finished breakfast the following morning they had walked out onto the walkway surrounding the courtyard for some fresh air. There were several departures taking place, all of crews from river craft, and they watched as the baggage of those leaving was loaded onto handcarts to be taken down to the berths of the vessels.

Their entertainment was interrupted by Vynil walking through the courtyard entrance. He saw the group of women, came over to them and bowed briefly to Eriana.

«Good morrow, Captain. Sorry to disturb you so early in the day, but there is a problem down at the Visund. Some food that Adin ordered has arrived and there is a dispute over geld owed. The man insists that he speak with the Captain.»

«Good morrow, Vynil. Is Adin there?»

Vynil shook his head. «Not yet, Captain. I have the impression this local came early just so that he could have an argument - and maybe swindle some geld out of some other crew member who didn't know what was agreed.»

Eriana's eyes were hard. «Oh, he did, did he? I will see about that!»

She turned and looked at the others. Bennet and Semma were wearing ship dresses today while Ursula and Tyra were both wearing normal day dresses because of Ursula's condition. Kaldara had on the other Yodan dress which had been obtained for her the previous day, a long straight affair that did nothing for her at all.

"Bennet, if you would join me down at the Visund, there is a problem with some supplies. Semma, I want you to stay with Ursula today, she will not be venturing far, I deem. If there is need for me I will be down at the ship."

Everyone murmured acknowledgement.

"Ursula? I do not like leaving you this way but I advise against too much movement today. Mayhap once you are more familiar with the workings of your own body you may do more but that time has not yet come. I assume that you can occupy yourself today? "

"I agree, Highness. There are a number of things I can do while I wait for this to taper off. I have some notes to review and I can always continue educating Kaldara, if she is willing."

"Of course. In that case, I will see you all later, certainly before lunch. Vynil? Lead the way."

«Captain.»

Eriana, Bennet and Vynil immediately strode off out of the courtyard. Ursula turned to Tyra.

"Do you mind being stuck in for a few days?"

"Of course not, Mistress! It is what all women must face, after all, and I will be there to help you as I should be. If you ask, shall I be bored, then I will tell you that I have noticed some small repairs that must be done to some of our attire. If I should finish that then I may pay attention to whatever you say to Kaldara, after all my own knowledge is not much greater than hers."

"I would dispute that, Tyra. I think you have had a much better childhood than she has. You were not trapped in your house by an unpleasant and overbearing father."

"Indeed not, Mistress!" Tyra smiled. "I roamed the streets and docks with the other children and learned much as I grew. Then I began to go out upon the river with my father and brothers. But there is still much I do not know, Mistress."

"There is always more to learn, Tyra, as you must know by now." Ursula held her breath as unusual sensations ran through her lower body. "Ah. I think I am about to learn more myself, as it happens. Can you go up to our chamber and fetch the bag? Kaldara and I will meet you in the bath house."

"Of course, Mistress."

"Semma, you can come with us or you can go back to our chamber."

"Mistress, I will stay with you. It is my purpose here, after all."

A little later, in their chamber, now clean and refreshed, Ursula held up a borrowed slate.

"Remember that we spoke last night about how Alaesia was an island in a big ocean?"

Kaldara nodded. "Yes, Mistress."

"Today I think I will try to explain exactly what Anmar is and how I think everything fits on it and around it."

"As you say, Mistress. I still find that idea confusing."

Ursula sat herself carefully down on the side of her bed and patted beside her. "Then I will try to explain."

* * *

A little later on that morning the activity in the hostel had quietened down. Almost all of the guests had either departed or left to do whatever had brought them to Yod. The only people about were the servants who were cleaning chambers, refilling lamps, changing linen and other duties.

A woman walked in through the carriage entrance. She was garbed in the customary Yodan fashion in a long dress of plain fabric with a full skirt, a high neck and long sleeves. Over the dress was a gray apron with a bib and shoulder straps. She also had a cowl over her head and neck, partly to protect her from the bright morning sun. In fact, the front of the cowl had been pulled forward so that her face was entirely in shadow.

Keeping to the walkways she moved slowly around the edge of the courtyard so as to stay out of the sun. At the corner, where the Mens' Stair and the Womens' Stair came down, she paused, finding a dark corner beneath the Mens' Stair where she could observe without being noticed.

A female servant came down the Womens' Stair carrying a bulky bundle of linen to be washed, heading directly across the courtyard towards the kitchen and bathing block. A short while later she returned, this time carrying a stack of freshly pressed linen. She went back up the Womens' Stair and into the corridor.

Immediately the servant turned the upper corner the woman checked that she was alone and crossed to the stair. Lifting her skirts to her knees, she took the stairs silently, two at a time, until she reached the last step. Here she peered around the corner into the corridor to observe the servant. The moment the corridor was clear she moved.

"- The reason why we don't fall off is something we call gravity. This is the same thing that makes everything fall down to the ground. If you have a large mass shaped like a ball, all of it wants to fall -"

The chamber door suddenly shuddered and began to move inwards. The wedge that Semma had placed at the foot prevented it flying open, but the smoothness of the wooden floor meant that it gave way just slowly enough to alarm the occupants but not slowly enough for them to do much about it. As soon as it had moved far enough the Yodan woman slipped through the gap, a long counter-blade held confidently in her right hand.

Semma and Tyra immediately stood. Semma's sword leaned, in its scabbard, against the foot of her bed and out of reach. Tyra had only a sewing needle for a potential weapon. Ursula felt a jolt of adenalin but remained seated, instinctively putting a protective arm around Kaldara.

Semma and Tyra, without speaking, automatically spread apart and began to approach the intruder. The woman looked momentarily confused, the knife blade moving between the four occupants of the room before focusing on Tyra. That gave Semma the opportunity to rush forward and confront the woman, whose blade immediately moved back to confront the threat.

That diversion was enough to permit Tyra to come forward and kick at the knife hand, sending the blade spinning into the chamber. She followed that with a spin and a stomach kick, causing the woman to begin to fold. Semma drove her to the floor with a punch to her neck as Tyra swiftly moved to the foot of Semma's bed and retrieved the guardswoman's sword. Removing it from the scabbard, she tossed it to Semma.

"Here, Semma!"

Semma caught it by the hilt and, flipping it, pushed the tip gently against the woman's neck. "Thanks. You! On the floor and stay there. On your front." As the woman complied, she added, "Hands behind your neck."

As Ursula began to recover from the shock of the encounter she looked at the situation and saw a flaw.

"Semma."

"Mistress?"

With hand gestures she shook her head, making Semma move the sword away from the woman's neck and down to her torso. Semma's eyebrows rose in query but Ursula mouthed "later".

Tyra went to the door, pushed it closed and removed the wedge. "I'll go for some help, Mistress."

"Why don't you try our new friends across the road?"

Tyra's eyes lit up and she nodded happily before opening the door and disappearing.

Ursula then stood and grabbed her basket before moving to the woman and crouching down. She grabbed an arm and twisted it around and behind her back before doing the same with the other arm. The woman squirmed but quickly stilled when Semma jabbed her sword. With lengths of narrow bandage Ursula secured each wrist to the other elbow, immobilizing her arms, before using a wider length to tie her feet together.

Something about the woman's legs disturbed Ursula so she gently patted the prone body before moving to the head and pulling back the cowl to reveal the truth.

"Is no woman, is a man."

"What?"

"Obviously dressed this way to gain entry to womens' quarters. Legs wrong, narrow hips, hair too short. If woman, unusual shape so probably man."

"Ssss!"

"Da. If is part of plan, may be more to come."

Ursula stood and moved to the door, retrieving the wedge and knocking it firmly under the door with her foot. There followed an uncomfortable silence while they waited for help to come. Eventually an argument could be heard in the distance followed somewhat later by boots in the corridor. The door was tried but the wedge prevented it from opening. Tyra's voice could be heard saying something. Finally a knock came, followed by a voice which Ursula recognized as the hostel manager.

"Mistress? I am here with your maid and some men from the port. If we may enter."

"Let me speak to Tyra."

"Here, Mistress."

"Tyra, how many of Her Highness's men were left in Ferenis?"

Tyra's voice came through the door. "None, Mistress. Four were left in Forguland but only three remain. The men with me are from the guardroom opposite, their leader is the man who attended us the evening we arrived here."

With difficulty Ursula removed the wedge and opened the door. Outside were the hostel manager, several woman servants and a group of soldiers, all of whom had drawn their swords. Tyra scooted into the chamber, relieved to find that nothing had gone amiss since she had left. The hostel manager stepped forward.

"Mistress, your maid said that you had been attacked in your chamber by an armed woman."

Ursula gestured at the figure on the floor. "That is so, but this is no woman even if she looks like one."

The leader of the soldiers spoke. "Mistress, I am Darro of Smordan, we have met before. Are you certain of your facts? I see only a woman before me."

"Come in, Darro of Smordan. He forced the door and held a long knife out against us." She frowned. "Semma, where did that knife go?"

"I have no idea, Mistress."

Tyra pointed. "Somewhere over there, I think."

She moved to search for it but Ursula stopped her. "No. Do not touch it, Tyra. Let this man find it. Darro, it is possible the blade might be poisoned."

He spun to face Ursula. "Do you tell me?" His eyes narrowed. "But, surely, this is just a robbery, Mistress. I do not like talk of poisoned weapons."

"Look at person! He has gone to much effort to disguise self, to get into womens' quarters. Not necessary for sneak thief. He came with long knife, some call it counter-blade, girls kicked it away. No, he came to take or to kill."

"Mistress, this is a grave accusation. Her hair is short but that is not a crime in Yod." He paused. "That I know of."

"Then take off dress. See what is beneath."

Darro stopped and shook his head. "Mistress, this is beyond my writ, I deem. I must needs send for my superior. Even if this person... man or woman... broke into your chamber, I cannot just strip her... him on suspicion. In front of all these people? It would be unseemly!"

"Send for Lord Marlin, then. He will know our circumstances."

"Lord Marlin? He is... Brant, run to the guardhouse at the military gate, I believe Lord Marlin went there this morning. Find him and ask him to come back here to the hostel."

"Aye, Sarje." Then man turned from the doorway and disappeared.

Darro turned to Ursula. "Mistress, you had better be right about this."

"Mistress?" That was Semma, still standing over the intruder with her sword pressed to his back. She was now holding the sword with two hands and grimacing.

"Yes. Sarjant? Is that right?"

"Aye, Mistress."

"Can you detail some of your men to secure the... person. I do not want to let him or her get their hands free as there may be other weapons about their body."

"That I will do, Mistress. Sef, Kannar, stand over this person and make sure they do not move."

"Sir!"

The two men moved in and Semma relaxed with a sigh, moving away to give them room.

Darro said to her, "You are one of those who go around with the Princess, yes? That is your sword?"

"I am Guardswoman Semma of His Majesty's Palace Guard and it is, Sarjant. Whoever, whatever he is, he surprised us and we were lucky to better him."

"As you say." Darro turned. "And you are?"

"Ursula, Healer to Her Highness and to the ship's company. This is my maid Tyra and beside me is Kaldara, a ward of Her Highness."

"I see. Thank you." He moved away. "If I may find that blade. You said it went this way?" He bent down on the further side of one of the beds and peered underneath. "Ah! Here it is!"

He straightened up. "Mistress, I am mindful of your words. If there is a cloth I may use?"

"Of course. Tyra?"

Tyra pulled out one of the stack of cloth squares in her bag and handed it to Darro, who bent down again and came up with the counter-blade. He peered at the tip of the blade carefully.

"Mistress, I must needs apologize. There is some substance along the point of this blade, I deem. I do not think that it is just the result of careless cleaning."

The room remained in a tense silence for a while until Marlin shouldered his way through the door. Darro came to attention.

"My Lord. The Mistress's maid came to the guardhouse saying they had trapped an intruder in their chamber. We came over here to investigate but the hostel staff at first refused to let us climb the Womens' Stair. Once we got here we found him... her. The Mistress says that although attired as a woman this is in fact a man, which suggested to her that he was more than a common thief. He had this counter-blade which, on inspection, may have been poisoned."

Marlin scowled and turned to Ursula. "Mistress?"

"Sarjant Darro has told you everything, My Lord. I believe the disguise is too elaborate for a simple thief to bother with."

"I agree." He turned to Sef and Kannar. "Haul him to his feet."

Ursula cautioned, "I would be careful, My Lord. He may have other weapons on him."

"Noted, Mistress. Sef, Kannar?"

The two soldiers grabbed the man by his shoulders and hauled him bodily to his feet. Because his feet were still tied, they had to support him upright. Marlin looked at the man's face and nodded.

"I agree, this is unlikely to be a woman. Possible, it is true, but unlikely. What was your clue, Mistress?"

"When I secured his feet I thought his calves were the wrong shape, so I gently felt the rest of his body and noticed that his hips were somewhat narrow. I could not do more with him lying like that."

"And how do I prove it, Mistress? If he is truly a man, then I might offend every woman here, yet if this is a woman, then it should not be done in the presence of any man."

"I am a healer. I am accustomed to seeing the bodies of both men and women."

"As you say, Mistress. Yet?"

Ursula shook her head. "I cannot think of any easy way to tell without stripping him, My Lord. As you know there are certain things that are one way on a man and another on a woman but everyone of us is different. There are men who have narrow waists or shoulders and men who have no Adam's Apples." This last was turned into a curious phrase in the local tongue. "There are women with Adam's Apples and women with narrow hips. There are only three things a woman has that a man does not, and three things a man has that a woman does not. Your decision, My Lord."

Marlin grimaced but there was little choice. "Lift that skirt, Mistress. Let us see what lies beneath."

Ursula lifted the skirt, together with the white petticoat that was beneath, and the man, who had not uttered a sound the whole time, began to struggle against the two soldiers. They held him firmly as the skirt rose and a bulge was revealed in the undergarments beneath.

Marlin sighed. "That is enough for me." He considered the situation. "If he is as dangerous as is thought he may indeed have other weapons about him. I do not want to release his arms, so the dress must needs be cut off. Mistress?"

"You want me to do it?"

"You are the healer. You know how to do such tasks."

"You are right. I have not attended prisoners but I have had to cut clothes from accident victims." She addressed the maid. "Tyra, take Kaldara and stand near the door, so that she won't see anything... unseemly."

"Of course, Mistress."

"Semma, are you ready to stay there as a witness? You can stand by Tyra if you prefer."

"Mistress, sometimes a guardswoman has to do unpleasant things. I will watch."

Ursula smiled her thanks. "Good. Let me begin."

It was possible to release the waist tie of the apron but the shoulder straps had to be cut before Ursula could pull the garment away. This revealed the scabbard for the counter-blade on a waist belt. It also revealed the scabbards for two other knives, both of which were removed and examined closely.

"These could be poisoned also, Mistress. Your advice was wise."

"Do you want me to go further?"

Marlin's eyes were hard. "This man is likely an assassin, Mistress. If so his life is already forfeit. Strip him to his underwear. Spare not the attire."

The belt with the scabbards was removed.

"It is a waste of a good dress, but I will do it."

Using a scalpel from her kit she cut through the bottom of the skirt and then, gathering it in both hands, tore it apart up to the waist. The petticoat beneath suffered the same fate. Underneath was a pair of lightweight tights which she pulled down as far as his knees. A woman's tie-side panty was revealed, but the contents were very definitely male. There was also another belt with two very short daggers in the attached scabbards. The blades of these were each about the size of her thumb. Once this belt was removed Ursula considered how best to proceed.

"Mistress."

Tyra handed her the short shears she had been using for snipping thread. Ursula smiled her thanks. She carefully cut through the waist seam and then snipped upwards, mindful to keep clear of any skin beneath. At the neck another seam had to be cut through and then the two halves were pulled wide.

There was an indrawn breath from Marlin as he saw what was beneath. Two small cloth sacks hung from a cord which went around the man's neck. The bottom corners had been knotted, the two nearest knotted corners were joined by a short piece of cord while a longer length went around his back.

"This is clearly more than any casual thief would do, I deem." Marlin's eyes were hard upon the man. "There are many questions which must be answered here."

Ursula gently felt one of the bags. "From the texture I think it is sand, or something like," she reported. "My Lord, do you want me to remove them?

"Please do so, Mistress. More may be contained within than just sand."

"True."

Ursula used the shears to cut the neck cord and the one going around the back and the bags fell into her free hand. A little gentle probing suggested that sand was all they contained, but that was now somebody else's problem. She handed the bags to Marlin, who promptly passed them on to one of his men.

Ursula thought what to do next and then nodded. "My Lord, I cannot go much further without releasing his arms and I think you will agree that would not be wise, not just yet. What I can do is to use the excess material to immobilize his arms some more so that you can safely take him away."

He scowled. "I agree this man is too dangerous to release here, even with all my men nearby. Continue, Mistress."

Ursula pulled the dress material away to each side and then pulled the sleeves down as far as they would go, exposing bare upper arms. The excess material she took around to the back and wound several times about the pinioned arms, completely swathing them in the cloth. The man was left standing almost naked with his arms swathed in cloth behind him, a tie-side panty for modesty and tights down to his knees.

"Mistress, if you would release his feet, my men can take him away. Uh, leave those tights as they are, they will prevent him running." He turned. "Sef, put this man in one of the special cells at the back. I do not want him speaking with any of the others we have in there until we know how to proceed."

"Aye, My Lord."

Once the bandage was removed Sef and Kannar dragged the man from the room. All those left inside immediately relaxed. Marlin released his breath.

"Mistress, that was obviously a dangerous man, judging by the equipment we have found. If I may ask, how did you manage to overcome him?"

"It was not me, My Lord. When he forced his way into the room Semma and Tyra stood up and came at him from two directions." She thought. "At first, he was uncertain who to threaten. His knife waved about as though he was trying to decide who he had come for."

Marlin's eyes narrowed. "Interesting! So you think that his target was a particular one of you? If that truly is poison on those blades, Mistress, he would then be an assassin, not merely a thief. What happened next?"

"It was all so fast. I think Semma closed first and he switched attention to her, which gave Tyra time to kick the blade out of his hand. Then she kicked him again, in the stomach, and Semma clubbed him on the back of the neck with her fists, knocking him to the floor. That gave enough time for Tyra to throw Semma's sword to her."

His eyebrows rose. "She did not have her sword?"

"My Lord, do you have your own sword within arm's reach every moment of the day or night?"

"My apologies, Mistress, of course you are right. Then?"

"I tied his hands behind him and secured his feet. Then I sent Tyra off to find help."

"Think you he acted alone?"

Ursula shook her head. "I have no idea, My Lord."

A grimace. "Then we must needs consider the safety of you and your companions, Mistress. I will post two men outside your chamber door and two more at the foot of the stair."

The hostel manager protested. "My Lord, you cannot do this thing! It is only with reluctance that I permitted you and your men to climb the Womens' Stair at all."

Marlin rounded on him. "And it was only with reluctance that I have not arrested you and everyone else in this place! That man knocked at no other doors, he came directly to this one, I deem. Therefore he knew which chamber these women would be in and that means that - likely - one of your staff provided the information. What say you?"

The man bowed. "My Lord, of course you are right. But it is not seemly to have men about this corridor. I implore you, stand them at the foot of the stair if you must, but if you insist then no woman would remain under this roof another night."

That stopped Marlin briefly and Ursula stepped in. "My Lord, have you yet thought what Her Highness is going to say? I doubt that she is going to permit strange men to prowl this floor after this incident. In fact," she added, "placing your own men here could be seen as an insult to her. You know that she has sworn men of her own who she would want to use."

He scowled again, since that had not occurred to him.

"Aye, Mistress, you have the right of it. You are all her folk, she should provide sentries against any further attempts. Nebban, are you still there?"

A soldier poked his head around the edge of the door. "Aye, My Lord?"

"Go you to the port, find Her Highness's ship and bring back Her Highness to the hostel. I must needs have a discussion with her. Do not alarm her by explaining what has happened here, just say that it is urgent and concerns her women folk."

"As you command, My Lord!"

* * *

The crowd outside the doorway parted to let Eriana through.

"My Lord Marlin," she acknowledged his presence. "What has happened? Is anyone hurt?"

"Your Highness, fortunately no. Your women have managed to subdue an assassin who was attired as a local woman. He is presently in our guardhouse yonder."

"What? An assassin? Are you certain?"

"Judging by the knives he had upon his person, secreted beneath the dress and apron he wore, I am very certain, Highness. It appears that the blades may have been smeared with poison."

"What?" Eriana turned to Ursula, her eyes wild. "You are all safe? How did this happen?"

"Shaken, Highness, that is all. Semma and Tyra did all the work. For obvious reasons neither Kandara nor I could do very much."

"As you say." The Princess walked over to her bed and sank onto it, holding her head in her hands. "But why? How should they know there is anything here to trouble them?"

"While we waited for you to arrive," Ursula replied, "I have had time to think. But I think that I need some privacy before I talk about what I suspect." She glanced briefly at the onlookers beyond the open door. "There is another consideration, Highness. Lord Marlin wants to put men outside your door. The hostel manager does not want any man in the corridor but is willing to station them at the foot of the stair. I pointed out that you would prefer your own, sworn men."

Eriana looked up and nodded. "Aye, that is the obvious course. Lord Marlin, will you agree to let my men stand the duty?"

"As you desire, Your Highness. I know you will all feel safer with men you know about you."

"Then I will name four and they will be known to you, that there will be no confusion. Ah, if I do that then they must needs have a room nearby."

The manager offered, "Highness, we have had some departures today and by chance there is a small chamber available at the top of the Mens' Stair. I will offer it to you for the use of your men. There are four beds, they may remain here to save walking back and fore to their barracks."

"Done. And now perhaps it would be a good idea if all those who are not women should remove themselves from the womens' quarters. Unless, My Lord, you have any further questions or instructions?"

"I have learned all I can, Highness. I will take my men back to the guardroom and consider my next move." He looked at her. "Which will probably be to bring this matter to the attention of the Council. An assassin in the chamber of a visiting Princess, this is a grave matter."

"Indeed. Lord Marlin, none of this is any fault of yours but I deem that those of Yod who desire to see their old ways return may be to blame. Let me confer in private with my ladies and I may have word for you later this afternoon."

"Done, Highness."

Marlin took his men and departed. The various onlookers were shepherded away and peace returned to the Womens' Corridor. Eriana sent Bennett and Semma out to check the chambers either side and both were reported empty.

"Good," Eriana stated. "That means that we have a short time alone before anyone might return for lunch. Ursula, you said that you had some ideas."

Ursula cleared her throat. "Highness, our style of dress, both of men and women, picks us out as being foreigners and, when we went into the city yesterday, maybe that was a mistake. I know that you had problems meeting the Marshals but they are also foreigners, I think they understand that each country has its own styles, but I am concerned with what happened when we went to that building, the Directory of Healing. We presented ourselves as obvious outsiders."

The Princess pursed her lips. "As you say. This is a land strange to all of us and perhaps we have not been careful enough. At our debrief yesterday you told how the man you met there could not believe what you were capable of. Think you that somebody there has divined that you came from the mother world?"

"Highness, I do not know. The thought that crossed my mind was that maybe that building could be where some of the Ascendancy are hiding. That could explain their attitude. When they saw me they might have decided that it would be a good idea to get rid of me as I - apparently - know too much for a mere woman."

"But why -" Eriana stopped. "Ah, I forget, you spent some of your life on the mother world running from such people, did you not? It is not surprising that you have a sense for such matters."

"Exactly, Highness. Then, when that man broke in here, he looked confused for a moment, as though he did not know which of us was his target. As you see us now, only Semma is wearing a ship dress and maybe that was what was described to him by those who sent him. Look for the strangers in scandalously short dresses, but somehow Semma did not fit the description... ah, her hair! Semma has long hair while mine is short. Maybe that is why he was confused."

Eriana nodded. "A likely explanation, I deem. He was sent by others but he had not seen you himself. He relied on the description given him by those who sent him."

"Then there is the fact that he apparently knew which chamber to go to. Somebody in the hostel must have told those who sent him... or possibly pointed the way when he arrived, though I think that is less likely. And once he got here, he expected us all to act as most other women do and do nothing, whereas Semma and Tyra immediately stood and came at him from two directions."

The Princess smiled warmly at the two. "And that was well done, ladies. It was exactly the response needed at that time."

"Thank you, Highness," Semma responded. "If I may ask, what happened when you went down to the ship?"

She twitched at the apparent change of subject but replied, "Why, when we reached the Visund there were six men and three hand-carts laden with sacks, all arguing about some kind of delivery which Tor swears had not been ordered. Even when Adin arrived they persisted with their suit," she threw up her arms, "and for all I know they are still there, refusing to leave!"

"I wonder," murmured Semma thoughtfully, "if that had been arranged deliberately to draw you away from our chamber, Highness."

Eriana did a double take. "Baldur's blood! You mean, is that all part of the same conspiracy? Those men are also part of this? They drew me away from here because they thought me likely to thwart their assassin? I did not consider such a thing!"

She moved rapidly to the door. "I must send word to Lord Marlin. If those men are still there, they may be trapped on that line of pontoons. Mayhap they may prove an easier way to discover more than that killer will."

She strode out of the door and those remaining looked at each other.

"Well," Bennet remarked. "Not what I expected this morning."

"Indeed not," Semma agreed. She turned to Ursula. "Mistress, you indicated earlier, not to hold my sword to the man's neck. Since that is safer than placing it elsewhere, I deem, you must have had some reason."

"Semma, I'm not sure what happens around here but on Earth some assassins had the custom of killing themselves if they were captured. I didn't want him to do that before anyone had a chance to question him. That is also why I didn't want to even think about letting his hands free."

"Oh! Mistress, Earth is indeed a strange world. I am merely a woman of the guard and know nothing of assassins. Thank you for your advice, that may be useful to remember in the future." She turned to Bennett. "If I may suggest, we should change into uniform. From now on we should wear our swords, I deem."

"Agreed." She reached across. "Here is yours, Semma, if you would stand ready while I change and then I will do the same for you."

Semma had changed before Eriana returned. "They have sent men down to the pontoons," she reported, "but it may be possible the quarry has already fled. Lord Marlin pointed out that the messenger who summoned me may have alerted them." She turned to the guardswomen. "You prepare for battle, then?"

"Aye, Highness," Semma replied. "I feel more comfortable carrying my sword this way and I am ready to do my duty."

"As you say. I think there is time for me to change also, then we should go down to the bath house and prepare for lunch. How are you feeling, Ursula?"

"As expected, Highness. Nothing to worry about."

"Good. Let me change into my own uniform, then, and we shall sally forth in strength."

* * *

Lunch was a tense affair, with four Norse standing guard outside the dining chamber door and eight of Marlin's men patrolling the courtyard and nearby corridors. At the end Marlin appeared, bowing to Ursula.

"Highness, I regret to report that those men who went onto the pontoons departed after you were summoned back to the hostel. They left their carts behind, which have now proved to have been stolen from one of the port victualers early this morning. Your men have assisted in their return."

"So they were part of this!"

"So it would seem, Highness. Your ship master Tor has set a heavy watch on your ship and I have also placed men at the dock end of the pontoon line. In respect of the assassin, we have placed him in a secure cell after removing the female garb he wore, all except the panty for reasons of modesty. We have provided him food and drink, as is proper, but he has not touched any of it nor uttered any word."

Eriana grimaced. "This is a bad business. My Lord. We have strayed into something desperate, I deem, and I would rather be elsewhere. Give me a foe I may face with steel and shield and I will go forth bravely but this, this skulking around in the shadows, I struggle to deal with. Go you now to the Marshals?"

"Ah, not just yet, Highness. If you look outside, the sky darkens and it has become sticky. There is a storm brewing, I deem. By your leave, I will wait it out before presenting our case to the Marshals."

The Princess shrugged. "You have our assassin, we are now well protected enough, let us all go and nap - assuming the storm lets us. Afterwards you will be refreshed and ready to present our case, My Lord."

"Your words are wise, Highness. I will leave you and your ladies to take your nap in peace." He bowed to Eriana, said, "Ladies," and walked out.

Eriana stood. "Come ladies, let us withdraw. I will say a few words to the men and then we can go and nap."

* * *

The thunderstorm had passed over, leaving the air clean and fresh, though Ursula knew that was unlikely to last. The women, having risen from their naps, had gone downstairs to their dining chamber and were drinking various refreshments: beer for Eriana, fruit juice for Kaldara and pel for everyone else. They were surprised when Marlin strode into the chamber and bowed to Eriana. He looked grim.

"My Lord! We did not expect you so soon! Surely you have not already been into the city?"

"I regret not, Highness. I am on my way, I came to inform you that the assassin is dead."

"Dead! How?"

Marlin shook his head. "Not by our doing, Highness. The men who look after those in the cells heard a commotion while the storm was raging and went to discover the man thrashing about on the floor of his cell. He died before they could even open the door, though they were under instruction not to in case he may have attacked them. They chose instead to waken me and I joined them. After a little time had passed, the door was opened and the men cautiously went in. The man had foam upon his lips and his skin was a strange pink color. We then discovered that he had another of those tiny knives which must have been secreted in that panty, being the only garment he had. There was a scratch upon his chest, the blade must have been poisoned."

Eriana let out a stream of Norse invective that made Ursula's face blanch. She then added, "We have been remiss and must pay the price, My Lord."

"I agree, Highness. We have not been careful enough in this matter. If you have advice or instructions for me, you and your people are the injured party."

"For you, My Lord, I will only suggest that you go where you intended to go, to bring this news to the Marshals. For myself, I must needs consider the safety of myself, my crew and those others who sail with us. If I may add, Ursula believes that it may be those in the Directory of Healing, where they may have seen such a knowledgeable female healer as a threat."

"Do you tell me?" His eyes narrowed as he turned to Ursula. "If I may ask, Mistress, do you think this is a professional problem or something else?"

She replied, "My Lord, I do not know enough about Yod to answer that. We were obvious foreigners walking about the city and we stood out. The reception we had was not at all what I would have expected from any healer. I wondered if that building could be hiding some members of the Ascendancy you have not yet found."

"An interesting point, Mistress, which I will take to the Marshals. Considering what happened this morning, it is very possible that those of Yod saw you as a threat." He stood and thought a moment before nodding. "Aye. I will go to the Marshals now, by your leave, Highness. When I return I will tell you what has been decided."

"Of course, Lord Marlin. Thank you for your attention."

Marlin bowed again and strode out of the chamber.

* * *

Eriana paced around their sleeping chamber, her expression concentrated on thoughts and events no-one else could see. With the Princess going in and out of her vision, and the sound of her footsteps, Ursula could not concentrate herself. She put down the notes that she was attempting to re-read and looked up.

"Highness! Meditate!"

Eriana stopped and pivoted. "What? Oh." She gave a quick bow and a smile. "As you command, Mistress!"

She sank to the floor, crossed her legs and rested her wrists on top of her knees. Her eyes did not close, however, but instead she stared at Ursula.

"Highness, you know that you can do nothing, decide nothing, until Lord Marlin returns."

"As you say. But we have eaten our evening meal, it is becoming late, and yet there is no word! What has happened to him? And you are not correct, Ursula, some decisions I can make and I have already made the most important one. Tomorrow, whatever may transpire tonight and however long it takes us to prepare, we will sail away from Yod. You know that it is not in my nature to refuse a fight but, as I mentioned earlier, I struggle to confront a foe I cannot see. Therefore we shall sail tomorrow."

"I suspected that you would decide that and I cannot say that I disagree. In many ways Yod is just like any of the other capital cities we have visited but in many other ways it is different. There is something wrong with the city of Yod."

"Aye. I think the Marshals have less control than they believe. One day soon, perhaps, tempers will raise too far and the city will boil over. I do not want us to be here then, it is no longer our fight." There was humor, then, in her expression. "If I had two thousand, say, instead of twenty, I would soon put this city right! But I have not so it would better if we remove ourselves and be not the cause of any distraction."

Ursula began packing her notes away. "Then, Highness, with your permission, I will spend the time while we wait for Lord Marlin in packing. There is not much to do and it will save time tomorrow morning."

There were murmurs from Bennett and Semma so Eriana nodded. "Agreed."

"Tyra, I think I'll wear that plain dark blue day dress tomorrow. It will be too soon for me to go back to ship dresses."

Tyra moved to their chests. "As you say, Mistress. I will make sure that one is on top."

They were still packing when a knock came at the door. Bennett answered to reveal Minna.

"Highness, I am to tell you that Lord Marlin is below. He desires words with you."

Eriana swiftly rose to her feet. "Ursula, will you join me? You have more experience in such matters than I do, you may understand better what he has to say."

Ursula climbed to her feet and Tyra stopped packing to stand ready. "I will come, Highness. I have been sitting most of the day and at least it will be a chance to stretch my legs. Tyra?"

"Coming, Mistress."

Eriana turned to the two guardswomen. "If you would stay here with Kaldara. There will be enough of my men below to ensure our safety."

"Highness."

At the foot of the stairs Marlin was waiting. He bowed briefly to Eriana.

"Highness, I regret the delay in returning to advise you on progress, but that is because circumstances have changed. I passed the news of this morning's events to the Marshals and for a change they took the threat seriously, especially once I showed them the tiny poisoned knives. They also took note, Mistress," he gave a nod to Ursula, "of your visit to the Directory of Healing.

"A file... I believe they name them a tensquad here, was sent with an Under-Marshal to the Directory to obtain an explanation. All but four entered and nothing has been heard of them since. A short time after their entry the doors were abruptly closed and it was noticed that the shutters had been closed in the street-level windows. Since then all attempts to enter or to gain the attention of those within has failed.

"Highness, we believe that those went inside are now either hostages or dead. Those outside raised the alarm and the building is now surrounded by a large number of troops. It is essentially under siege."

"It is true, then. The Directory is a nest of those who once ruled here."

"Almost certainly, Highness. At the moment the city is dark and it is proposed to wait until it is light tomorrow before forcing entry to the Directory. Arrangements are being made to have powder brought from reserves, to knock down the doors to gain entry."

"That reminds me," Eriana said slowly, "of something that happened in Palarand while we were away. It also involved those of Yod. Let me see... Captain Merek spoke of something named a Residency, I believe. Does that mean anything to you?"

Marlin's eyes widened. "Aye, Highness, it does! I was told that, after the Battle of the Highway, those in the Residency knew that their land would be at war with those of Palarand and fired their own mansion to prevent us gaining their secrets. But that will not be the case here."

"No... but Merek also spoke of tunnels which permitted those of Yod to escape and disappear."

"Maker!" Marlin was aghast. "The whole city is of stone, the streets too! It will be impossible to find any tunnels leading away from that building! But the danger is still there, I deem. Those within may escape without anyone noticing. I must bring this thought to the Marshals immediately."

"And you should not forget the drains which those ancient people built. I do not know if Yod benefits from them."

"It does, Highness. Maker! I must inform the Marshals immediately! By your leave."

"Of course, My Lord. If I may inform you before you go, I have decided that we shall sail tomorrow, once we have collected our things and made ready. It seems to me that if we depart, there will be one less distraction for you and your men."

Marlin favored Eriana with a smile of thanks and a deeper bow. "Your Highness, I cannot argue with your decision. I can only hope that, when you return this way, the situation will be much better than it is today."

"As you say, My Lord. I will wish you good-night, then."

"Good-night, Your Highness."

He strode away into the darkness.

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

assassin !

wow!

DogSig.png

more than that

An assassin of the school of thought of not allowing oneself to become a leak at any cost, had they had the dentistry, he'd surely have something akin to a cyanide tooth, hell the description of how he died sounded similar to Cyanide.

Lots of action in this chapter

BarbieLee's picture

Reminds me of the attack on Garia and Keren on the highway home. Those of Yod just don't understand they have lost the war. Lucky for everyone Ursula knew of the assassins trade. What was funny in a dark humor way was everyone hesitant to undress the assassin. It was everybody else job but there wasn't an everybody else so it was left up to Ursula. Gah tough soldiers indeedie. Grow a pair men! Can't believe they recently finished a war shedding each other's blood and they were stopped cold by a dress.
Miss Lane, you young lady are an exception writer with an exceptional imagination. Very entertaining.
Hugs
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

lost the war

I think they are perfectly aware of that, what I don't think they realize, is that Yod has splintered, or at least not the extent. however they are in a unique position to cause as much damage as possible, as a medical building, the Directory is an element of the old government that the occupation was likely hoping to leave unmolested, making it the perfect hub for a resurgent Ascendency, we don't know how expansive any tunnel system would be, on one hand unlike the Residence they probably hadn't planned to use it as a staging area, and stone is harder to dig under, but as one of the largest civilian structures in the city proper, it wouldn't surprise me if there were at least tunnels between it, whatever military fortifications there are, what they used as their capital building, and the residence of their leadership. some of those may overlap, but those wouldn't just be for escape, but communication and counter siege. This also means if the occupying leaders are mostly doing the what's usually the logical thing of using the captured fortifications as their base of operations, they are probably in one of the most vulnerable places in the city and don't even realize it. yes they may be aware of the possibility of hidden access points as that's hardly unusual in any fortification, especially given the type of warfare they are familiar with, its almost a given, both the greatest asset and biggest weakness of any castle, what isn't common is for such tunnel systems to be particularly extensive beyond the primary structure they extend from. If they were originally planning what i suspect they were, the saving grace of the allied forces may have been that by using gunpowder to bust the gate, they may have inadvertently disabled the portcullis before it could be used to trap them inside what would be a city of a kill box. What we are seeing is likely an adaptation of such a plan, that the decision to make an assassination attempt forced them to enact early. they probably wanted to wait until more of the occupation had left, to capture any remaining VIPs for ransom killing the rest and capturing any weapons, armor, ships and supplies they could.

Bless your heart, Penny

Sav Sara's picture

Honey, y'all have built in quite a few levels here!

I find it most suspicious that Marlin thought Tyra was the Earthling and then so did the assassin.
And that the assassin chose to crossdress from the skin out.

I just love the way you are going, Miss Lane.

Assasin

They should have given him a full capacity search, but with no latex gloves, that would be just, eewww.
And it looks like potassium cyanide (or somthing similar) is available to some people (probably the healers).

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Cyanide

I had intended the symptoms to be suitably scary but the intention was not cyanide.

That was just an arbitrary choice of effects. Perhaps I've been watching too many Agatha Christies lately.

I'm not sure that cyanide, when administered via a trivial (or non-trivial) cut, would have that level of effect on the victim.

I am not a toxicologist, nor do I play one on TV.

Penny

Cyanide

The LD100 in a human is stated at 200–300 mg (oral). Whether that applies for a cut, too, I'm not so sure. But condidering that it goes directly into the blood, the effect might be even worse.

departure

that may not be so easy, tunnels possibly extend to or near port barracks, where most of the crew is currently occupying, first thing they'd likely do is cut off access to the ships, possibly using the cover of night.

Seems like

The people who are once in power had hopes of regaining their power.

and had a good chance at

and had a good chance at regaining some of it, had they not had a directive to eliminate anyone suspected of Earth origin not under their control. Any advancements would eventually work their way to them, so if they waited until most of the occupation left, they could have had most of their cake and eat it too,

Storm Brewing

Kathy Leigh's picture

I think that afternoon thunderstorm was not the only one brewing and the Visund may have trouble leaving Yod.

indeed, the convention, while

indeed, the convention, while sensible particularly with so many different allied forces, of waiting till dawn gives the Ascendancy time to set up barriers, i doubt they'll set much ablaze, too obvious and ruins much they might wish to use to follow up, they might try for some of ships but those are being well protected, a bigger potential issue depending on the extent of the tunnel system, is any powder they may still have, possibly may have even been producing secretly during the occupation, (charcoal and saltpeter are likely traded freely as fuel and fertilizer, sulfur would be less common, but proportionally you don't need much) if they connect to the sewer system, even if they don't have a lot of it or even any guns, they could place it underneath several key intersections creating bottlenecks, actually if they are clever enough, they might use the thunderstorm to disguise the noise. if they are smart, they wouldn't block anything outright, as then they'd just clear the obstacles, bridging or otherwise, creating a winding path of least resistance spreads out and fatigues any attacking forces

Storm Brewing

Kathy Leigh's picture

I think that afternoon thunderstorm was not the only one brewing and the Visund may have trouble leaving Yod.

Sorry about double entry

Marlin is growing up

I think that Marlin is growing up and become a man.
It will be interesting to see what has become of him when we meet him again further on. The experience of being in Yod will make him a far better ruler after his father, than he would have been without the responsibility given him in Yod.

learning

he has definitely learned to take advice of subject matter experts, and while he hasn't voiced it, he probably appreciated logistical impacts to the changes a bit more

Marlin; not as much of a blockhead as feared

LibraryGeek's picture

While Marlin isn't precisely progressive, he's still a large step up from a certain other noble Gaia fell afoul of.

He appears capable of learning from experience, at least.
And his sense of responsibility is real, not a façade.

He's not so sure about some of the changes occurring.
But he's not so entrenched that he can't say there is no value to them.
And he's capable of making some judgements based upon just who is taking hostile action; he may have his doubts, but if his people's enemies feel these changes are a threat to them, well, it might just be that there is value to them after all.

Dunno.
There seems to be some hope for him, anyway.

Yours,

John Robert Mead